Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, September 7, 2012
"Let God arise and let His enemies be scattered!" (Psalm 68:1)
The Daily Brief
1. US congressman confirms high-level US-Israel spat over Iran - Reuters
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu blew up at the US ambassador last month because he was "at wits' end" over what he sees as the Obama administration's lack of clarity on Iran's nuclear program, a US congressman who was at the meeting said. (Read more.)
- Lord, we know that Your promises are sure, and You watch over Your Word to perform it. You have told us to bless Israel, and not curse her; and that You would bless those nations that bless Israel, and curse the nations that curse Israel; and that all the nations would be judged according to their treatment of Israel. We thank You that it was our President Roosevelt in the 40's who first recognized the new state of Israel, and we have been blessing her ever since, and have been blessed as a result. We pray, Lord, that as a nation, we would not turn against her, lest You turn against us as a nation. May You, Who put kings on thrones, and take them down off their thrones, give us a "king" after Your own heart, like David. May we stand with Israel and always bless her, we pray. Amen.
- "I will gather all nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. There I will put them on trial for what they did to my inheritance, my people Israel, because they scattered my people among the nations and divided up my land." (Joel 3:1,2)
2. Don't attack Iran, Russia starkly warns Israel and U.S. - National Post
Russia has starkly warned Israel and the United States against attacking Iran, saying Moscow sees no evidence that Tehran's nuclear program is aimed at developing weapons, the Interfax news agency reported on Thursday.
Invisible Russian submarine - The Voice of Russia
In June-July, the Akula-class submarine, an attack warship capable of carrying long-range ballistic missiles, travelled in the Gulf of Mexico patrolling the US coast. The US satellites and hydro-acoustic sensors failed to spot it. The US Navy spotted only the submarine's tail when it was leaving the waters of the Gulf.
- Abba, we are concerned that Russia would have the technology to be able to patrol our Gulf coast, undetected by our Navy. It seems those in control of the national budget, keep wanting to give our military and defense department less funds, when it appears we may be in grave danger from lack of equipment and technology. We pray this will be rectified, and that our nation's defense and technical superiority be secured. Thank You, O Lord of Hosts; for You are our Commander-in-Chief. Amen.
- "For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; He causes me to stand on the heights." (2 Samuel 22:32-34)
3. Worries intensify over Syrian chemical weapons - Washington Post
Western spy agencies suspect Syria's government has several hundred tons of chemical weapons and precursor components scattered among as many as 20 sites throughout the country, heightening anxieties about the ability to secure the arsenals in the event of a complete breakdown of authority in the war-torn nation, U.S. and Middle Eastern officials say.
- Lord, You Who knows all things, and nothing is hidden from You, we ask You to give wisdom and direction to those making decisions regarding Syria, and her chemical weapons. We ask You to hide them from the evil ones, who would use them against Your people; and reveal them to those who wish to secure them for safe keeping, and for good. We thank You that darkness and light are the same to You, and we commit these into Your care. Amen.
- "If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me and the night shall be [the only] light about me, Even the darkness hides nothing from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You." (Psalm 139:11,12)
4. Asking 2nd term, Obama says nation will recover - AP
His re-election in doubt, President Barack Obama conceded only halting progress Thursday night toward fixing the nation's stubborn economic woes, but vowed in a Democratic National Convention finale, "Our problems can be solved, our challenges can be met."
US Job Growth Slows in August - Reuters WASHINGTON -- U.S. jobs growth slowed more than expected in August, setting the stage for the Federal Reserve to pump additional money into the sluggish economy next week and dealing a blow to President Obama as he seeks reelection in November.The lackluster report keeps the pressure on Obama ahead of the November vote in which the health of the economy looms large. The jobless rate has held above 8 percent for more than three years -- the longest stretch since the Great Depression.
- Father, it seems every Friday when the economic news comes out, its not good news for the jobless, or those struggling in this economy. Somehow, we ask that the electorate will see what has happened in this administration, economically, that it has not been this bad since over 80 years ago during the Great Depression! We ask for clarity as to why we are in this situation, and what we can do to make it right. We pray for Your wisdom to guide us as we make the changes necessary to set our nation's feet back on the road to fiscal and moral sanity. In Yeshua's Name, we pray.
- "For the LORD gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding. He holds success in store for the upright, He is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, for He guards the course of the just and protects the way of His faithful ones." (Proverbs 2:6-8)
5. DNC Rejects Christian Gift Baskets - Fox News
The Democratic National Committee banned dozens of Charlotte churches from distributing gift baskets to delegates because the congregations hold values that are contrary to the party platform, according to local religious leaders.
- "Father, this is so incredible that the DNC would reject a good gift meant for their delegates, because the gifts were given by churches, and therefore considered contrary to their party platform. Does this mean they are opposed to Christian values? We know that they found Your name offensive, and Your chosen Land, so we should not be surprised at this as well. It is so sad, Lord, and grieves our spirits. Have mercy, O Lord, and draw them to Yourself before it is too late, we pray.
- "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.The student is not above the teacher, nor a servant above his master. It is enough for students to be like their teachers, and servants like their masters. If the Head of the house has been called Beelzebul, how much more the members of His household!" (Matthew 5:10,11; Matthew 10:24,25)
6. Obama minions: Gov't 'can override your religion' - WorldNetDaily
The Obama administration today argued in court that the government can make a requirement that violates religious beliefs and that a company cannot reflect the religious faith of its owners.
- Abba, we can hardly believe that these days You told us would come, are actually here now. Strangely, the government says that Christians "cannot legislate morality"; and yet, is this not exactly what they are attempting to do to those who do have godly values and morals? They want to force us to go against Your Word, and values . . . in favor of their lack of values and morals. We beg for mercy for them, O Lord! May the "scales" be removed from their eyes and hearts, and may the realize there is a God, and He is just and righteous altogether, and may they call upon You as Savior. Amen.
- "And the high priest asked them, saying, "Did we not strictly command you not to teach in this Name? And look, you have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this Man's blood on us!" But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: 'We ought to obey God rather than men'." (Acts 5:28,29)
7. Drought Withers U.S. Corn Crop, Heats Debate on Ethanol - National Geographic
Predictions for a bumper crop in May withered 26 percent by August. Scarcity has pushed corn prices to all-time highs. Farmers are plowing under scorched fields, and cornhusks are blowing across roads. The mandate, meanwhile, amounts to a requirement that 42 percent of this year's crop be pumped into gas tanks.
- Abba, Lord of the Harvest, we need Your help! We ask for an end to this drought. We ask forgiveness, as a nation, for not seeking You and Your Kingdom, for not acknowleding You as our Source of meeting all of our needs. We repent, and ask for rain, the times of refreshing. Send soaking rains to revive crops and livestock we pray. Amen.
- "And Elijah said to Ahab, Go up, eat and drink, for there is the sound of abundance of rain." (I Kings 18:41)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"In a little wrath I hid My face from you for a moment; but with everlasting kindness I will have mercy on you, says YHWH your Redeemer . . . My kindness shall not depart from you, nor shall the covenant of My peace be removed, says YHWH who has mercy on you." (Isaiah 54:9,10)
1. 'Next 50 Days Most Fateful Since Yom Kippur War' - Arutz Sheva
Former Head of Knesset's Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, Tzachi Hanegbi, hints at timetable for Iran attack.
2. PM may move Iran discussions to compact forum to stifle leaks - Israel Hayom
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is mulling moving any future discussions about Iran to a much smaller forum of confidants rather than the sizable Political-Security Cabinet, according to well-placed sources.
3. If Obama comes through with promised assurances, 'Israel will not attack Iran' -- TV report - Times of Israel
Israel will not attack Iran this year, provided that President Barack Obama sets out his "red lines" and offers certain other promised assurances to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at a meeting between the two tentatively scheduled for Thursday, September 27, Israeli TV reported Thursday.
4. Israel Readies 'Secret Weapon' for Iran Attack - WND
Israel sees Iranian nuclear weapons as an existential threat, and plans are in place to carry out strikes to cripple the nuclear program by the middle of next month. Middle East expert Mike Evans says his discussions with top Israeli officials this week suggest there is a strong likelihood the attacks will take place between Sept. 15 and Oct. 15.
The Daily Jot
Saying NO to YHVH
I watched the C-Span video in utter dismay. It was shocking. The Democratic Party Platform writers had omitted any mention of "God" and had taken out "Jerusalem" as the capital of Israel. Antonio Villaraigosa, Mayor of Los Angeles, suspended the rules so that former Ohio Governor Ted Strickland could amend the Democratic Party Platform. He said, "As an ordained United Methodist Minister, I am here to attest and affirm that our faith and belief in God is central to the American story and informs the values we've have expressed in our party's platform. In addition, [sic] the president recognizes Jerusalem as the Capital of Israel and our party's platform should as well." The worse was yet to come.
Villaraigosa then took the podium, reminding the delegates that the matter requires a two-thirds vote in the affirmative. "All those delegates in favor say "Aye."" Some said "Aye." "All those delegates opposed, say "No."" Some said "No." "In the opinion of the...let me do that again." So he did. About half said "Aye" about half said "No." He looked around with a dumfounded expression until a woman came to him and told him "You've got to rule and then you've got to let them do what they are going to do." So he took another vote. Half and half again, this time with "Arab Americans" raising their hands as if they had won the "No" vote. He ruled amid "boos" from the delegates that the amendments were adopted.
Strickland's amendments read: Amendment 1, Page 32, Line 48: We need a government that stands up for the hopes, values and interests of working people, and gives everyone willing to work the chance to make the most of their God-given potential. Amendment 2, Page 63, Line 26: Jerusalem is and will remain the capital of Israel. The parties have agreed that Jerusalem is a matter for final status negotiations. It should remain an undivided city accessible to people of all faiths." The amendment adding "God" to the platform was hardly worth the effort. The amendment putting Jerusalem back as the capital of Israel was the result of the occupant of the Oval Office trying to pull a fast one on his own party and it embarrassingly shows where the party leadership is coming from.
In 1995, both houses of Congress overwhelmingly passed a policy statement saying: "Jerusalem should remain an undivided city in which the rights of every ethnic and religious group are protected" and that "Jerusalem should be recognized as the capital of Israel." The attempt to delete such a declaration is considered a unilateral attempt to change longstanding US policy. As the New York Sun wrote: "The Democratic Party leadership has been made a fool of on this issue." Leadership reflects the leader. The defiance against YHVH in this party is undeniable. This was a Titus 1:16 moment: "They profess that they know YHVH; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate."
View the C-Span video here: God and Jerusalem Vote
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
On the Campaign Trail
On the Campaign Trail
60 Days to Election Day
Obama to Democrats: You're On Your Own
Apparently the man in the White House considers himself a party of one. His campaign's message to other Democratic candidates is that they should not count on any help from him for fundraising, endorsements, or publicity.
Consider this quote from the Wall Street Journal:
The president does almost no fundraising for Senate or House candidates and hasn't transferred money to other party election committees. His numerous campaign offices rarely coordinate with local candidates or display signs for anyone but Mr. Obama. At rallies, Mr. Obama seldom urges supporters to volunteer - or even vote - for other Democrats running for office. Sometimes, he mentions other politicians in the room without noting that they are seeking re-election. He rarely shares the stage with other candidates.
"He's ultimately there to communicate where he wants to bring the country and the differences he has with Mitt Romney. He's not out there campaigning all around the country for other candidates," a senior Obama campaign official said. "It's not that he doesn't want them to get elected, but it's a campaign event to elect him."
(Source: Politico) Read more.
Who is Praying for the Nation??
In battle for nation's soul, who's doing the praying?
Americans will head to the polls this November with a degree of partisanship and political rancor that has not been felt for 25 years, according to recent polls. The numbers may change, but one thing remains constant: Matters of faith inarguably occupy the minds of most Americans. Moreover, faith and religion are still alive on Capitol Hill despite the decades of change America has withstood since her founding.
(Source: Washington Times 24/7) Read more here.
Caution: this is a very long article, but quite helpful for those of us who ARE praying for our nation now!
The Democrats' God Fiasco
The Democrats' God Fiasco
The Democrats' serial bungling of the "God" and "Jerusalem" issues is being universally derided as an unforced error. And, of course it was. But it was not an error that occurred in a vacuum. On the contrary, these events-dropping any reference to God from the party's platform, and refusing, in effect, to identify Jerusalem with Judeo-Christian history, followed by the spectacle of a majority of delegates voting against reinstating God and Jerusalem to the platform-reflect, in a fundamental way, the nature of today's Democratic Party. It has been a truism for some years that religion is one of the chief fault lines of American politics. But consider these remarkable numbers from today's Rasmussen Reports:
Among those who rarely or never attend church or other religious services, Obama leads by 22 percentage points. Among those who attend services weekly, Romney leads by 24. The candidates are even among those who attend church occasionally.
Romney leads by seven among Catholic voters and holds a massive lead among Evangelical Christians. [Ed.: Remember when one of the chief worries about Romney's candidacy was that evangelicals wouldn't support a Mormon?] Among other Protestants, the Republican challenger is ahead by 13. Among all other Americans, including people of other faiths and atheists, Obama leads by a 62% to 26% margin.
The Democrats, bluntly put, have become the party of those who don't go to church. It is extraordinary that religion has become such a dividing line between the parties, given that none of the country's major issues relate to religion in any obvious way. What does religion, or the absence thereof, have to do with the country's $16 trillion debt? With Obamacare? With defending ourselves against terrorists? With bureaucratic regulations that stifle economic growth? On the surface, little or nothing. The parties have to go out of their way to gin up controversies that implicate religion; like, for example, the Democrats' contraception/abortion mandate or the Republicans' periodic efforts to support prayer in schools. And yet, the best predictor of a voter's position on all of the above issues, and many others, is how often he or she attends religious services.
Explaining why that is the case would require much more space and time than this post allows; for the moment, I simply want to note that the Democrats' seemingly inexplicable fumbling of God and Jerusalem was not inexplicable at all; rather, it reflected that party's innermost heart. (By John Hinderaker, Powerline) Read more.
A CALL TO PRAYER AND FASTING
A CALL TO PRAYER AND FASTING
Sundown, September 25th through November 6, 2012
"Before they call, I will answer: And while yet speaking, I will hear."
We live in a critical time, a time of political, economic and social upheaval throughout the world. As we watch events unfold, our hearts are stirred, our minds are sobered, and our spirits are turned toward God.
We see unusual weather patterns, drought, forest fires, and natural disasters of earthquakes, tsunamis and hurricanes. We hear reports of mass killings in Syria with over 10% of the population fleeing their homes in search of safety. We see political tensions rising in other Middle Eastern nations, as well as the ongoing threat of the Iranian nuclear program accompanied by their stated intent to "wipe Israel off the map."
In the United States, we are moving towards the 2012 Presidential election. In this time of crisis we need leadership that will move this nation forward in godly principles.
As we are aware, it is the believers in a nation that hold the true identity of that nation. Though the general population may be greater numerically, it is God's people that He looks to for the purpose of calling forth and displaying the Godly identity and purpose of that nation.
Yom Kippur is known as The Day of Atonement, the holiest day of the year for the Jews. It is a time of repentance, purification and drawing near to God. As believers in Jesus, we know that He died for our personal sins and we are eternally grateful for the love and mercy He extended to us. That same love and mercy is available to all who believe. It is time for us to come before Him on behalf of the sins of America and the nations of the world.
It is time to call upon the Lord!
I am calling for a time of fasting and prayer beginning on the eve of Yom Kippur, September 25th, through November 6th, Election Day in the United States. I ask Aglow in the nations to fully participate during this called time of fasting and prayer for America's next President - a man who will make decisions that will ultimately affect the world.
I encourage you to fast as the Lord leads you. Pray individually and in groups.
While we call . . . He promises to hear.
Jane Hansen Hoyt
A note from CHPP:
This call to prayer and fasting aligns with the nationwide call to 40 days -- and nights -- of prayer for our nation released by the National Prayer Committee. As we move together in one accord, we trust that our Lord will hear our cries.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Planned Parenthood Insider Now Works for Assisted Suicide Group
When Compassion & Choices, formerly The Hemlock Society, convened its June 2012 conference, former Planned Parenthood insider Theresa Connor, now director of government affairs with the assisted suicide group, was a featured speaker. She was public policy director for PP in Washington state for 15 years and instituted the research and strategy behind the 2001 Erickson v. Bartell case "that required employers' insurance plans to cover prescription birth control under anti-discrimination laws."
Connor joined Compassion & Choices' president, Barbara Coombs Lee, author of Oregon's "Death with Dignity" Act, were co-speakers at the conference on "the strategies for success in affirming and protecting end-of-life liberty, including aid in dying in the states."
"Learn how you, as an end-of-life advocate," the program says, "can work with reproductive justice and LGBT allies to defeat refusal legislation at the state and federal levels." The topic of the presentation was "Legislating Medicine and Morality."
Echoing Planned Parenthood's strategy, the assisted suicide agenda is cloaked in compassionate-sounding terms to hide its grisly agenda of attempting to one-up God and become the arbiters of life and death. The same type of verbal gymnastics are employed in Obamacare when it comes to dealing with the end of life of the elderly.
American Life League provides a pro-life advance directive to help insure that your wishes and those of your family are actually carried out in a health crisis situation. For more information about our "loving will." (Life News) Read more.
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
In Christ Alone
Adrienne Liesching & Geoff Moore
In Christ alone my hope is found;
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This cornerstone, this solid ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My comforter, my all in all-
Here in the love of Christ I stand.