• The Daily Brief
• The Middle East in Focus
• The Daily Jot
• The Candidates and the Bible
• Update: DADT
• The Battle over Chick-fil-A
• A Special Invitation
• The Good News Corner
• Worship with Us Today!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief - Wednesday, May 11, 2011
"I am the LORD, and there is no other; There is no God besides Me." (Isaiah 45:5)
The Daily Brief
1. Obama to be able to text terror warnings to all US phones - UK Telegraph
Obama will be able to send any mobile phone in the United States a text message warning of imminent danger, from a terror attack to a natural disaster, under plans announced on Tuesday.
- Father, this is unsettling in many ways. The government has access to more and more of our information. We pray for protection of our privacy. Protect us from hidden agendas. In Jesus Name.
- Beware of false prophets, who come to you dressed as sheep, but inside they are devouring wolves. You will fully recognize them by their fruits. (Matthew 7: 14,15)
2. Presbyterian Church to ordain gays as ministers - Reuters
The Presbyterian Church voted on Tuesday to allow the ordination of gays, becoming the fourth Protestant denomination in the United States to make the move that experts say reflects a larger cultural shift.
- Father, forgive us for our compromises in biblical values. Your scriptures clearly define homosexuality as an abomination. We should never bow to the culture of the world's values. Strengthen us to stand firm in Your Word.
- Do you not know that the unrighteous and the wrongdoers will not inherit or have any share in the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the impure or immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor those who participate in homosexuality. (1 Corinthians 6:9)
3. Retired general warns of "rush" to end "don't ask" - Washington Times
The newly retired commander of Army forces in the Pacific says the Obama administration's "rush to repeal" the ban on openly gay men and women serving in the military "is moving way too fast" and risks damaging the armed forces' fighting ability.
- Father, we pray the president and his advisors will listen to wisdom. We pray they "slow down" this process and proceed with care and caution. Protect our soldiers from distractions so they remain focused on their mission in fighting against terror.
- Take away the wicked from before the king, and his throne will be established in righteousness (moral and spiritual rectitude in every area and relation). (Proverbs 25:5) Amp
4. Gingrich Announces Candidacy for President - Fox News
Former House speaker announces on Twitter and Facebook that he's running for 2012 GOP nomination.
- As more and more candidates in the Republican Party announce their desire to run for the office of President of the United States of America, thank the Lord that He IS "sifting our hearts before His judgment seat." Please see today's article -- posted below the Daily Jot -- for more insight about how to intercede over this vital matter. Pray!
- "Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them." (Exodus 18:21)
5. Evangelist Billy Graham Admitted to Hospital for Pulmonary Condition - Fox News
Evangelist Billy Graham was admitted to a North Carolina hospital Wednesday for observation and pulmonary treatment. The 92-year-old arrived at Mission Hospital in Asheville, N.C., for a medical assessment after an overnight health episode. Initial testing suggested he has pneumonia. "He is resting comfortably and is fully alert," Graham's primary physician, Dr. Lucian Rice, said in a hospital press release. There is no date set for Graham's release from the hospital, but expectations are that his pneumonia will clear up with treatment, according to his spokesman.
- This is one headline we would prefer to not see. Let us all pause this evening and lift up this wonderful man of God together, asking that His perfect will would be done in the life of the Reverend Billy Graham. May his days yet be long on this earth. Amen.
- ". . . as thy days, so shall thy strength be." (Deuteronomy 33:25)
6. Rep. Louis Gohmert Challenges Attorney General on Terrorist Policy - CHPP
Act for America is reporting that last week, Rep. Gohmert took the Attorney General to task regarding Holder's failure to pursue further indictments against organizations like ISNA and CAIR in the Holy Land Foundation terror finance trial of 2008. To view the video of this fiery exchange, go here.
- Offer praise that our elected officials in Congress are holding members of the Executive Branch accountable for their actions . . . or for their lack of action. This is how our tripartite system is to function, with the balance of power equally divided throughout all three branches of government.
Pray that the Attorney General will be forthcoming in his answers; and pray for the safety of Rep. Gohmert and his family. Amen.
- "He will give His angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways." (Psalm 91:11)
7. Mississippi Delta braces for historic flood - AP
The bulging Mississippi River rolled into the fertile Mississippi Delta on Tuesday, threatening to swamp antebellum mansions, wash away shotgun shacks, and destroy fields of cotton, rice and corn in a flood of historic proportions.
- It is almost difficult to comprehend this level of devastation. May the church rise up quickly to help all the victims of these floods with their needs for food, shelter, and supplies. May God yet have mercy upon America.
- "My God shall supply all your needs, according to His riches in glory through Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:19)
8. US to withdraw 70,000 troops from Afghanistan in next three years in favour of special forces - UK Telegraph
America would withdraw 70,000 troops from Afghanistan over the next three years and rely increasingly on special forces to lead operations in plans being discussed by the White House.
- Lift up the president and all of his military advisors as they work to reassess the need for our troops to remain in Afghanistan. Now that the head of al Qaeda has been killed, the playing field is different. Ask that our leaders would turn to our Commander in Chief, the Captain of the Hosts of Heaven, for wisdom, guidance and direction in this critical hour. Pray!
- "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:10)
The Middle East in Focus
A note from Intercessors for Israel:
Israel is celebrating the 63rd birthday of her modern restoration as a nation this week. This modern day fulfillment of God's prophetic Word gives us much to be thankful for.
- We bless You for allowing us to be alive at this time and to see all that You are doing in fulfilling Your Word so openly and obviously.
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"The LORD builds up Jerusalem, He gathers together the outcasts of Israel." (Psalm 147:2)
1. Boehner announces date for PM's speech to Congress - Jerusalem Post
Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu will address the US Congress on May 24 on a Washington visit that will cap a US-led diplomatic flurry seeking to advance stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace efforts.
2. Fatah leader: New Palestinian gov't to be formed in 10 days - Jerusalem Post
A new Palestinian government will be created in 10 days, senior Fatah member Nabil Shaath said Tuesday, according to Ma'an.
3. Hundreds of thousands of Israelis mark Independence Day at country's parks - Ha'aretz
Parks and forests were packed with visitors, and roads were heavy with traffic on Tuesday, as hundreds of thousands of Israelis traveled the country to mark Israel's 63rd Independence Day celebrations.
4. Syria Extends Armed Push; EU Sanctions Begin - Wall Street Journal
Syria's government on Tuesday said it was continuing military operations in three areas across the country, as rights activists said those sieges and continued mass arrests threaten to cripple Syria's seven-week uprising.
The Daily Jot
Carrying the Government's Trojan Horse in your pocket
The Federal government, including the office of the President, will know where you are at all times and be able to send you messages via your cell phone. In fact, you will be forced to receive these messages. The system is the brainchild of Homeland Security, the Federal Communications Commission and the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The stated purpose of the system is to alert citizens of possible terrorist attacks or natural disasters in the immediate area of the location of the cell phone. In other words, the government is going to be in constant contact with every cell phone. The system is rolling out in New York and Washington, DC before the end of the year, then to the rest of the country.
Your cell phone will be used as the government's tool to make sure you are a well informed citizen. You will receive information about terrorist attacks and impending natural disasters, as well as Amber Alerts on missing children. All these messages will take priority over all other phone traffic on your phone. You will have no authority to "opt out." The system, called PLAN, or Personal Localized Alerting Network, will also blast urgent messages from the president directly to your cellphone. It will cost you $9.1 billion to implement this invasion of privacy, being sold as a way to save lives. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg hailed the alerts as a "quantum leap forward in using technology to help keep people safe."
The FEMA website is telling Americans that they do not even have to sign up for this program. That participation of their wireless provider--and all of them are complying. FEMA says a PLAN alert will have its own special signal and vibration. FEMA says that the system "allows" cell phone customers to receive "geographically-targeted, text-like messages alerting them of imminent threats to safety in their areas." It does not say in the material that consumers are forced to take these messages, but the news conferences announcing the PLAN confirmed that there is no opt out. The government, therefore, has control of your privately purchased cell phone and the cell phone plan for which you personally are paying.
Daniel 12:4 says, "But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased." Certainly, we are living in an age of increased knowledge. And a lot of your personal information is knowledge in the wrong hands. A FEMA spokesman would not confirm nor deny that there is no opt out on the PLAN. He told The Daily Jot that more information would be forthcoming. Sprint said it was not aware that the government could override its text blocking application, but is checking into it. While it may be good to receive emergency information, it should be the choice of the owner of the device, not compulsory by the Federal government.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
The Candidates and the Bible
What Does the Bible Have to Say about How to Choose a Leader?
"Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them." (Exodus 18:21)
Dear Praying Friends,
There are 18 months until November 6th, Election Day, 2012. The Presidential election campaigns are underway. President Obama will likely be the unchallenged Democratic candidate. Republican frontrunners will eventually emerge. What should Christians look for in a President or candidate for other public office?
Noah Webster, the "Father of American Education," and other learned men in the founding era pointed to the Bible, and specifically to Exodus 18:21, as their guide (see Noah Webster, Letters to a Young Gentleman Commencing His Education, 1823, p.p. 18-19).
The Bible's simple list of qualifications for electing and confirming representative leaders is unrivaled:
1. Capable - Leaders with sufficient skills, experience and judgment to do the job;
2. Fear God - Individuals who know and reverence Him and fear the consequences of ignoring or disobeying His revealed will or eternal moral laws. Those who ignore God and His law are not qualified for public service.
3. Truthful - People who love truth - moral, spiritual, historical and scientific; are devoted to honesty, and demand integrity from their friends, associates and staffs.
4. Hate covetousness - Citizens who respect and demand respect for private property rights by individuals and government (contrast with God's warning of what to expect from an unelected king - 1 Sam 8:6-22).
Like Webster, we must heed and recommend this formula to our fellow citizens. Our prayers are needed now!
Rev. Pierre Bynum
National Prayer Director
Family Research Council
Update: Don't Ask; Don't Tell
Recently, the President announced that the Justice Department will no longer enforce or defend the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). On April 13th, the U.S. Navy directed Navy Chaplains to provide for same sex marriages on military installations in states where such "marriages" are legal and to allow Chaplains to perform such ceremonies. This is a violation of DOMA, which requires that for federal purposes "marriage is the legal union of a man and woman."
On Friday, 62 House members sent a joint letter to the Secretary of the Navy requesting an explanation. Responding to a formal inquiry from Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.), the Navy defended their position and added that chaplains who refuse to marry homosexuals must find someone who will. This morning the Navy abruptly reversed its plan, presumably awaiting final certification of the military's readiness to implement the new law.
Today, Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) planned to offer an amendment to require "all" members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff to agree before final certification for DADT repeal. Other possible amendments include measures to reinforce the traditional definition of marriage in the military and protections for servicemen who conscientiously oppose homosexuality. FRC has asked constituents to contact members of the Armed Services Committee. Lt. Gen. Benjamin Mixon, the highest ranking active duty Army officer to openly criticize plans to overturn DADT, retired May 1, after 35 years of service. In a remarkably candid interview, Mixon said repeal of DADT will cause problems with morale and make the military less ready and able to fight.
Please pray that DADT will be restored, and that until then, measures will be put in place to protect the religious conscience and physical safety of our men and women in uniform.
- "This being so, I myself always strive to have a conscience without offense toward God and men." (Acts 24:16) Source: FRC Prayer Targets (Rev. Pierre Bynum)
The Battle over Chick-fil-A
FRC President Tony Perkins has long warned that the Homosexual Agenda and Religious Liberty cannot coexist. Now homosexual activists are proving his axiom by their persecution of the Chick-fil-A restaurant chain. Students at Indiana University, South Bend, have officially complained that their chancellor is violating the school's anti-discrimination policy by allowing sales of Chick-fil-A sandwiches on campus.
The much beloved Cathy family, owners of Chick-fil-A, are widely known for their Christian faith, their Sunday store closing to honor the Sabbath, and their generous support for evangelism and other Christian causes. They are being targeted for donating to groups that support traditional marriage. Dan Cathy was recently disinvited from speaking to the Missouri Chamber of Commerce, whose spokesman said they had "no idea [he] held such controversial views." World magazine reports that 20 colleges are "agitating" against Chick-fil-A, including: Te xas Tech, Ole Miss, Duke, North Carolina State, Florida Gulf Coast, and others.
May Chick-fil-A gain far more goodwill than it loses as a result of these organized efforts. May the indecent treatment of such decent, respectable business people be an eye-opener for Americans. May these and future such efforts backfire.
- Mark the blameless man, and observe the upright; For the future of that man is peace. But the transgressors shall be destroyed together; The future of the wicked shall be cut off. (Psalm 37:37,38) Source: FRC Prayer Targets (Rev. Pierre Bynum)
A Special Invitation
Announcing Weekly Conference Calls to Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem
Thursdays, 8:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. EDT
"With all that is going on in the world today, we must not be distracted from standing with Israel and praying for the peace of Jerusalem."
HAPN Executive Coordinator
(Heartland Apostolic Prayer Network )
Several ministries have now joined forces to sponsor this conference call, every week, to pray for the peace of Jerusalem. Capitol Hill Prayer Partners has just received permission to invite all of you to join in this dynamic, weekly time of prayer for Israel . . . led by James Nesbit of Prepare the Way Ministries.
THIS IS A WAKE UP CALL FOR THE UNITED STATES TO ALIGN WITH THE LIVING GOD IN INTERCESSION FOR ISRAEL AND JERUSALEM.
Time: Thursday, 9PM Eastern (8PM Central, 7PM Mountain, 6PM Pacific)
Phone: (760) 569-7676
Access Code: 989326#
The Good News Corner
Planned Parenthood of Indiana Loses Funding
Planned Parenthood of Indiana has lost government funding, effective immediately. The history-making law took effect Tuesday afternoon when Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels signed it.
Today, Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union asked U.S. District Judge Tanya Walton Pratt to issue a temporary restraining order to block the law, but she refused. A second hearing has been set for June 6.
The law pulls government funding from "any entity that performs abortions or maintains or operates a facility where abortions are performed." Planned Parenthood has 28 clinics in the state, including four abortion clinics.
"Any organization affected by this provision can resume receiving taxpayer dollars immediately by ceasing or separating its operations that perform abortions," Daniels said.
The law also strengthens the state's informed-consent law; requires women be told that a baby feels pain at 20 weeks; and bans most abortions after 20 weeks. Those provisions take effect July 1.
State Sen. Scott Schneider, a Republican who sponsored the law, said: "The case made by Planned Parenthood is nothing more than a false alarm, and their claims that women will go without health services are false."
Daniels has confirmed that women's health services are still available in all of the state's 92 counties.
Planned Parenthood called the law "unconscionable," claiming it would hurt women. (CitizenLink)
Worship with Us Today!
Beauty of Simplicity
It's the beauty of simplicity
that brings me down to my knees
I'll praise You for eternity
And Lord I love you . . . because you first loved me.