CHPP Daily Brief: "Praying for All in Authority" Monday, January 23, 2017
Breaking! Mattis Celebrates First Day At Pentagon By Blowing Up ISIS 31 Times. Go here.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Monday, January 23, 2017
"Standing Together as One . . . Under the Cross of Christ"
"For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve . . ."
The First 100 Days
Prayer Resources for The First 100 Days
Tools to Assist in Offering Prayers for President Trump
and his Administration during these First 100 Days
1. 24/7 Prayer Line
Sponsored by the 24/7 National Strategic Prayer Network, you can call this number anytime, day or night, and join other prayer warriors across the nation to pray for the new administration.
The Conference Number is: 712-770-4340
The Access Code is: 543555#
Please dial #6 to mute your phone.
All are welcome to join!
PrayerSurgeNow hosts a weekly call every Saturday morning, beginning at 7:30 a.m. EST. Topics are geared to time-sensitive events happening in our country, and anointed speakers are invited to host each call, bringing insight to intercessors across the nation.
PrayerSurgeNow also hosts other calls throughout the week, as the need arises.
In order to keep pace with their news, please visit their blog at: www.prayersurgenow.blogspot.com, or by going here.
PSN's Conference number is: 712-432-0075
Access Code is: 6149782#
3. Daily Devotions - Sponsored by the AsOne network.
A prayer topic, intercession and Scriptural decrees are posted daily during these First 100 Days. Please go here to find today's devotion.
4. Today's Prayer for the First One Hundred Days
January 23 - Working With Congress
A majority of his own party in the House of Representatives and in the Senate is a gift every incoming President hopes for. This majority can potentially make it easier for a President's reasonable agenda items to become a reality relatively quickly. Of course there will be fights, but hopefully not within his own party. Disagreements with the other party are often easier to overcome, if there is unity between the majority party's members and the President. It remains to be seen how fully welcoming the Republican congressional members will be with President Trump. This we do know, a number of members of the Congress fear the Lord and are men and women of prayer.1 Therefore, we feel confident that, as we pray, Holy Spirit can help forge a unity between the Believers that can trickle down on the others in the House and Senate.
Points for Prayer:
Pray John 17:21-23 over the believing members of Congress - Senators and those in the House of Representatives, that they may be one, even as the Father and Christ are One, expressing a mutual respect for one another and giving preferential treatment to one another.
Ask now that this unity extends to other Congressmen and women that may not know Christ as their Savior. God is able to work miracles and we are asking for this one. May the eyes of their hearts be enlightened, so that they can see that the end result of certain legislative acts passed in unity will benefit the nation and its citizens, their constituents.
Intercede for the relationship of President Trump and congressional leadership, such as Senator Orin Hatch, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, Senator Mitch McConnell, the Majority Leader of the Senate, and Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan. These are critical relationships. Pray for mutual humility and a desire for the nation to see what a unified working relationship looks like.
Thank the Lord in advance for the blessings that He promises in Psalm 133:1 where there is unity in Him. These blessings are about to fall on America!
(Submitted by the PrayAsOne network.)
Focus on Israel
1. With Obama out, 566 new Jewish housing units approved in Jerusalem - World Israel News
The municipality of Jerusalem on Sunday approved the construction of 566 new Jewish homes in northern portions of city that were won by Israel from Jordan during the Six Day War of 1967.
"After eight difficult years of Obama, we are continuing to build in Jerusalem," remarked Jerusalem's Mayor Nir Barkat. "I hope that the era of government delays as a result of political pressures has ended and that we will we able to leave to a big building boom in order to strengthen the sovereignty over a united Jerusalem as Israel's capital."
The municipality originally made the building plans in late December after the United Nations Security Council passed a resolution condemning construction in areas of Jerusalem, Judea and Samaria. However, the initiative was postponed in order not to further anger the then-outgoing Obama Administration that had abstained from vetoing the UN Security Council resolution condemning Jewish communities in those areas. (Read more)
2. Israeli Minister proposes 'Greater Jerusalem' law - World Israel News
Israeli Minister of Intelligence Yisrael Katz, a member of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's Likud party, is presenting a proposal on Sunday at a meeting of the security cabinet to extend Israeli sovereignty to a number of Jewish towns and communities located just outside of the current municipal boundaries of Jerusalem.
"Jerusalem first," Katz wrote in a Facebook post, implicitly referencing US President Donald Trump's campaign slogan of putting "American first."
"Today I will propose at the security cabinet that we pass the 'Greater Jerusalem Law' that includes extending Israeli sovereignty to the surrounding communities of greater Jerusalem," continued Katz. "This is a necessary first diplomatic step in the era of President Trump." (Read more)
3. Netanyahu says Palestinians can have a 'state minus' - Times of Israel
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told cabinet ministers Sunday that he was prepared to give the Palestinians a "state minus."
"What I'm willing to give the Palestinians," the prime minister said in the weekly meeting, according to Hebrew reports, "is not exactly a state with full authority, rather a state minus. This is why the Palestinians do not agree." (Read more)
4. Police inching toward indictment against Netanyahu - reports - Times of Israel
Police are increasingly moving toward recommending an indictment against Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on charges of breach of trust over expensive gifts he allegedly received from businessmen, Israeli television reported Sunday.
According to the reports, by both Channel 2 and Channel 10, investigators are considering an indictment in one of two corruption probes into the prime minister. Netanyahu has denied any wrongdoing.
The relationship between Netanyahu, his wife, and billionaire Israeli film producer Arnon Milchan forms the core of a police investigation - known as "Case 1000" - into whether the Netanyahus received improper gifts worth hundreds of thousands of shekels. (Read more)
5. Trump's Jews and Obama's Jews - Israel National News
Seen from above, the 2016 electoral map of New York City is blue with dots of red. Trump's home district is blue, but across the water a red wedge slices into Brooklyn. Around that red wedge are districts where Hillary won 90 percent of the vote and Trump was lucky to get 5 percent. Inside it, he beat her in district after district.
The voters who handed him that victory are the Chassidic Jews of Williamsburg who dress in fur hats and black caftans. Their districts, crammed in by hipsters and minorities, are a world away from the progressive activist temples whose clergy went into mourning at Hillary's loss.
East of Prospect Park, in a vast sea of blue, is what looks like a red sofa. Trump won here with the Chabad Chassidim of Crown Heights. He won in the more mainstream Orthodox Jewish communities of Flatbush. He won by huge margins among the Russian Jewish immigrants of Brighton Beach who listen to a man dubbed the "Russian Rush Limbaugh." (Read more)
- Father we see the differences among the children of Israel and we use this opportunity to pray for all of them. We pray for unity among Ephraim and Judah. We ask that You bring their hearts together and that they may hear Your voice. We pray that they come to know You and ask You to give them a hunger and thirst for a deeper relationship with You. In the name of Yeshua, amen.
6. Bridges for Peace: Weekly Prayer Update
To read this alert, please go here.
The Daily Brief
Every prayer below is presented to our Lord in the Name of Jesus Christ, amen.
1. Trump, Netanyahu Plan First Meeting to Cement New, Stronger Ties
- Times of Israel
The first official state meeting between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and newly-inaugurated US President Donald Trump could take place as early as next month, Ynet reported on Sunday.
Government officials say that the meeting may happen in the first week of February. Netanyahu is also expected to meet with Trump's pick for Secretary of State, Rex Tillerson, and Trump's son-in-law and senior advisor Jared Kushner, whom Trump has said will head peace efforts in the Middle East during his administration.
His pro-Israel stance was a basic tenet of Trump's campaign platform, and meeting with the Israeli premiere has been a priority for the president since his election in November. When Netanyahu called Trump to congratulate him following his victory, Trump took the opportunity to invite Netanyahu to meet at the "first opportunity." (Read more)
- Lord God, surround President Trump and Prime Minister Netanyahu with the heavenly host of angels to protect them from all evil. God, walk arm in arm between them to create a bond of respect to walk in solid unity by joint efforts to receive God's greatest blessings awaiting them. In the Name of Yeshua, Jesus we pray.
- "And Balak sent yet again princes, more, and more honourable than they."
2. Anti-Semites harass rabbi who spoke at Trump inauguration - Israel National News
Rabbi Marvin Hier, the dean and founder of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, who delivered a blessing at the inauguration of US President Donald Trump last Friday, has been inundated with hundreds of anti-Semitic messages on social media in the two days since the inauguration. Rabbi Hier blessed Trump at the inauguration and quoted from Psalm 137: "By the rivers of Babylon we wept as we remembered Zion. If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand forget her cunning."
The anti-Semitic responses began almost immediately after Rabbi Hier finished his prayer, which was the first prayer given by a rabbi at a Presidential inauguration since 1985, and the first ever by an Orthodox rabbi. Wiesenthal Center associate dean Rabbi Abraham Cooper told the Jerusalem Post that Rabbi Hier's prayer at the White House was a "perfect storm" for anti-Semites of the left and the right. He said that his IT staff had removed hundreds of anti-Semitic messages from social media. "Obviously a lot of people who don't like Jews had a tough time seeing a Jew stand up proudly before the world," Rabbi Cooper said." To have a Jew wearing a kippa on an international stage and a declared and well-known Zionist - from the far left to the far right a lot of people were very angry."
He said that the internet and social media allow rabid anti-Semites and other bigots and racists to post their hateful messages with ease and without fear of repercussion. However, he said that outside the virtual world Rabbi Hier received warm support from people of all different faiths. "There's the real world and there's the virtual world and overall it was quite a moment. It was a very special moment, a very proud moment," he said. "I'm absolutely certain it's the first time that Pirkei Avot (Ethics of the Fathers) was referred to at an inauguration."
The Anti-Defamation League also condemned the anti-Semitic messages directed at Rabbi Hier, saying it was "outraged and saddened by the antisemitism leveled at Rabbi Marvin Hier." (Read more)
- Father, we are so thankful that our new president chose to welcome the prayer uttered by this precious man. Father, he brought such richness to the whole program, AND he brought a blessing from Israel upon President Trump and America. May God richly bless him and protect his spirit from evil attacks.
We stand in the gap for those who have been uttering these curses against him, for they know not what they do. We ask that You would supernaturally intervene in the lives of each one of these lost souls, and bring them to salvation. In Your name we pray, amen.
- "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34)
3. Fierce backlash after woman suggests assassinating Trump - WND
A Kentucky woman is facing serious backlash from the public and her own employers after suggesting on Twitter it would be "kind" for someone to assassinate Donald Trump, who was inaugurated as president three days later.
Heather Lowrey, who described herself as a Louisville vixen and aspiring wrestling diva on her Twitter profile before going into electronic hiding, tweeted the message Jan.17: "If someone was cruel enough to assassinate MLK, maybe someone will be kind enough to assassinate Trump. #bekind #trump #lovetrumpshate."
Her comment ignited a firestorm on social media, with comments such as this from Leslie Maiko: "It seems this rotted soul #LiberalLunatic wench #HeatherChristineLowrey aka #VSAddict22 has gone in2 hiding & shut down her Twitter. Good."
Her employers soon after fired Lowrey and issued public statements distancing themselves from her threatening tweet. (Read more)
- Almighty God, the redemption of this woman's soul is precious. We pray she will turn to Jesus and her soul be saved. Otherwise, deliver her from the demonic spirits controlling her and may she be disabled and powerless to carry out her threats against President Trump. Stop her and her followers by placing a bloodline around them that they cannot move forward. In the Name of Jesus we pray.
- "Be still, and know that I Am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge." (Psalm 46:10-11)
4. First Day in Office Trump Visits CIA, Declares War on ISIS - Breaking Israel News
On Saturday, his first official day as president, Donald Trump visited the headquarters of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in Langley, Virginia, taking the opportunity to declare war on the Islamic State (ISIS).
During his inaugural address on Friday, Trump named Islamic terror as one of the enemies he intended to battle as president. He reiterated that claim to the CIA. "We're all on the same wavelength, right?" Trump asked those gathered. "We have not used the real abilities that we have. We've been restrained. We have to get rid of ISIS."
During the campaign, the CIA, along with other intelligence agencies, alleged that Russia hacked Hillary Clinton's email server, thereby interfering with the elections. At the time, Trump was critical and questioned the agency's claims.
At the meeting on Saturday, Trump blamed the press for misrepresenting his opinion of the agency. "I am with you 1000%, and the reason you're my first stop is that as you know, I have a running war with the media,' Trump said. "They are among the most dishonest human beings on earth." (Read more)
- Father God, we thank you that, apparently, President Trump has spoken words of grace and forgiveness into the halls of the CIA. We thank You that he fully intends to work with the members of that agency -- even allowing them the use of tools previously forbidden that are at their disposal -- in order to destroy ISIS. May this union between President Trump and the CIA be blessed by Your hand, giving them strength, wisdom and great skill to destroy this monster in the Middle East. We ask this in Your name, amen.
- "The princes of the people are gathered together, even the people of the God of Abraham: for the shields of the earth belong unto God: He is greatly exalted."
5. James Mattis is sworn in as defense secretary, pledges to build alliances - Washington Post
Retired Marine Gen. James N. Mattis was confirmed and sworn in as President Trump's defense secretary Friday, breaking with decades of precedent as a recently retired general became the Pentagon's top civilian leader.
Mattis, 66, was approved with a 98-1 vote after the presidential inauguration and then sworn in by Vice President Pence. The new Pentagon chief released a statement to U.S. troops afterward that credited not only them, but intelligence personnel as "sentinels and guardians of our nation" - rhetoric that is in line with Mattis's past statements.
Mattis also pledged to work with the State Department to strengthen U.S. alliances abroad. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, how thankful we are that You have guided President Trump in ways of sound judgment in appointing Marine General James Mattis to serve as his Secretary of Defense. Lord, he is acclaimed as being one of the most influential officers of his generation. As he said, "It would be the highest honor if I am confirmed to lead those who volunteer to support and defend the Constitution and to defend our people." God, America is now on solid ground for which we thank You, Almighty God for Your grace. In the Name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "Seek good and not evil; that you may live: and so the Lord, the God of hosts, shall be with you as you have spoken. Hate the evil, and love the good, and establish judgment in the gate; it may be that the Lord God of hosts will be gracious unto the remnant of Joseph (America)." (Amos 5:14-15)
6. John F. Kelly confirmed as homeland security secretary - Washington Post
The Senate confirmed John F. Kelly as secretary of homeland security on Friday, putting the blunt-spoken retired Marine general in charge of securing the nation's borders, including construction of the controversial southwest border wall that was a centerpiece of President Trump's campaign.
Senators approved Kelly's nomination to run the Department of Homeland Security, a sprawling entity of more than 240,000 employees who do everything from protecting the president to safeguarding the nation's electrical grid.
Kelly, who retired in February as chief of the U.S. Southern Command, is part of the first wave of Cabinet secretaries who will begin to implement the expansive plans of the nation's 45th president. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, how very thankful we, as Americans, are to You, our God for giving insightful wisdom to President Trump in choosing Marine General John F. Kelly the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security. His reputation as a widely respected officer who served for more than 40 years is amazing. Thank you, Lord, that you have given we Americans such a highly esteemed man with strong military experience to protect us. Bless him every day of his life with holy assistance from heaven as he fills this post. In Jesus' precious Name we pray, amen.
- "The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies." (Psalm 18:1-2)
7. Trump gets offered help to 'drain the swamp' - WND
As Donald Trump prepares to take office, millions of Americans look forward to watching him make America safe again. Millions also look forward to seeing the new president "drain the swamp" of Washington, D.C. To Philip Haney, a former Department of Homeland Security officer, draining the swamp and keeping America safe go hand-in-hand - and he wants to help do both.
"My advice to President Trump if he wants to make America safe again and drain the swamp is that people like myself can help," Haney told WND.
On multiple occasions, politically appointed DHS officials either deleted valuable records Haney had compiled on Islamic terrorists or forced him to "modify" the records by removing information that linked the terrorists to particular Islamic movements.
Haney chronicled his 10-year struggle to expose the truth in "See Something, Say Nothing: A Homeland Security Officer Exposes the Government's Submission to Jihad." He believes his knowledge and experience would make him an ideal candidate to help Trump "drain the swamp."
"After the water is gone from the swamp, then you're going to need a team of specialists who are going to be able to do the forensics of the objects that we find down there on the bottom of the swamp," Haney counseled. "Addressing those pieces of evidence that were dropped into the swamp over the last eight years is going to help keep America much safer than it has been up to now." (Read more)
- Father God, we have long admired Phil Haney for the courage he has demonstrated as a true whistleblower at the DHS. We thank You, too, for many others who, themselves, gave up their own jobs inside the federal government so that they also will be free to warn the American public of the actions of their agencies. We ask that President Trump would, indeed, meet these brave men and women, and take heed to their counsel as he begins to "drain the swamp" in Washington, D.C.
- "For thus has the Lord said unto me, Go, set a watchman, let him declare what he sees." (Isaiah 21:6)
8. Le Pen: Nationalism will sweep across Europe in 2017 - Times of Israel
French presidential hopeful Marine Le Pen on Saturday told a European gathering of right-wing populists in Germany that a string of high-stakes elections in 2017 would blow a wind of change across the region.
Emboldened by the Brexit vote and Donald Trump's US presidential victory, the far-right National Front leader said voters in France, Germany and the Netherlands would be next to reject the status quo.
"2016 was the year the Anglo-Saxon world woke up. 2017, I am sure, the people of continental Europe will wake up," she told a cheering crowd at a conference hall in the western river city of Koblenz, on the river Rhine.
"It's no longer a question of if, but when," she added in a speech that railed against migration, the euro and open borders. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that Your mighty hand will move across Europe to bring them ever closer to the Lord. Establish a favorable change in Germany, France, the Netherlands that has great potential of bringing these countries out of darkness into the welcoming Light of Jesus, who is their redeemer. Open new doors of freedom and liberty that will be received by the people. Remove that which is evil and impart from heaven that which is good to these countries. We pray in the Name of Jesus the Christ.
- "By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil. When a man's ways please the Lord, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him." (Proverbs 16:6-7)
9. Trump top aide Conway to speak to March for Life - The Hill
Top Donald Trump aide Kellyanne Conway will speak at the annual March for Life event in Washington, D.C. Conway served as the president-elect's third and final campaign manager and will be a "counselor to the president" in the White House. This march is one of the largest anti-abortion protests [pro-life rallies] in the U.S., and is held around the anniversary of the decision in the 1973 Supreme Court case, Roe v. Wade. The march will start at the National Mall and will end at the Supreme Court.
"We are thrilled to have Kellyanne Conway speak at this year's March for Life. As the first female to run a successful presidential campaign and as a steadfast advocate for life and family issues, Kellyanne beautifully embodies the 2017 March for Life's theme, 'The Power of One,'" March for Life President Jeanne Mancini said in a statement.
"It is our hope that this year's March for Life will encourage each of us to seek and fulfill our unique mission to the best of our ability because only in doing so we will collectively build a culture of life in the U.S. - a culture where abortion is unthinkable," Mancini added.
Conway speaking at this event is a sign that the incoming administration intends to enact a pro-life agenda. (Read more)
- [Prayer offered by Intercessors for America]
This speaking engagement sends a great message to pro-lifers everywhere! Counselor to the President, Kellyanne Conway, will speak at the March for Life this year. Praise God for the value for life that is obviously part of the incoming President's agenda. Continue to pray that life issues will move our new President and that he and his Cabinet and Administration would legislate and govern accordingly. Also, lift up the March for Life on January 27th-it is often a very bad weather day, and yet, despite that, each year there are thousands upon thousands of marchers faithfully participating.
- "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." (Psalm 33:12)
10. Severe storms in U.S. South kill at least 18 - Reuters
A dangerous weekend weather system has killed at least 18 people in the U.S. South, as Georgia officials on Sunday reported more than a dozen deaths after severe thunderstorms and tornadoes buffeted several states. Photos from the affected areas showed collapsed buildings, homes with roofs destroyed, toppled trees and fields littered with debris.
The storms in Georgia, which killed a total of 14 people, followed a predawn tornado in Mississippi on Saturday that killed four people. Severe weather also injured more than 50 others and damaged about 480 homes in Mississippi, state officials said on Sunday.
The system prompted U.S. weather forecasters to issue a rare, "high risk" warning of severe storms threatening parts of southern Georgia, north and central Florida and Alabama on Sunday, the first such warning since 2014. South Carolina could also see severe weather.
"These could be the kind of tornadoes you don't want to mess with," said Rich Thompson, lead forecaster at the National Weather Service Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Oklahoma.
In Alabama, some 29,000 power outages were reported as of Sunday afternoon, Alabama Power tweeted. Several thousand had also been without power in Mississippi, where utilities were working to restore service. (Read more)
- Lord God, we ask Your comfort for those who have lost loved ones in these storms, and healing for the injured. Lord God, it seems that these end-time storms are not abating in our time, but are increasing in intensity and in frequency. We ask for divine protection on earth, as we await the day of Your coming, in Your name, amen.
- "There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25) -
U.S. Bombards ISIS
Mattis Celebrates First Day At Pentagon By Blowing Up ISIS 31 Times
Newly minted Secretary of Defense James Mattis celebrated his first full day at the Pentagon by overseeing 31 strikes against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.
Mattis entered the Pentagon Saturday with a smile for his first full day of work, and for good reason, considering the significant bombardment ISIS forces received.
A variety of fighters, bombers and remotely piloted aircraft engaged in the bombing run, which saw 25 strikes in Syria and six in Iraq. In Syria, two strikes destroyed ISIS units and artillery near the town of Bab. ISIS forces in Raqqa, the terrorist group's de facto capital, took a heavy beating, as 22 strikes destroyed 12 tactical units, nine fighting positions, two underground improvised explosive bomb factories and an ISIS headquarters. The final strike targeted two ISIS oil wells in Deir ez Zour.
ISIS forces in Iraq suffered several casualties as well. One strike in the city of Rutbah destroyed a tactical unit and vehicle, two weapons caches and a mortar. Another in Beiji left a unit and vehicle destroyed. A strike in Kisik destroyed a building and tactical unit. Another in Tal Afar also destroyed a unit, truck and command node. The city of Mosul, which acts as the terrorist group's regional capital in Iraq, received two strikes, which destroyed two units, three fighting positions, a tank, and a car bomb factory.
President Donald Trump promised during his campaign that he would destroy ISIS as quickly as possible. He said on his first day in office he would convene his top generals and order them to provide a plan to eradicate ISIS once and for all within 30 days. As the new head of the Pentagon, Mattis would be expected to enact whatever plan goes forward. The former Marine general is a known critic of the Obama administration's ISIS policy, having once referred to it as full of "half measures." (The Daily Caller) Read more here.
This Week on the Hill
This Week on the Hill
The House and the Senate will remain in Session on Monday and Tuesday, Jan. 23, 24.
On Thursday, members of both parties will host their own annual retreats, out of town, where strategy is then mapped out for the coming year.
> > >
Last week, the House was out of session. To view congressional activity in the Senate, please go here.
> > >
To view floor and committee activity this week in both the Senate and in the House (again, on Monday and Tuesday, only), please go here.
In light of the Roe anniversary yesterday and the March for Life next Friday, the House is voting on H.R. 7, the No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion and Abortion Insurance Full Disclosure Act of 2017 on Tuesday.
Please pray for passage of this critical piece of legislation.
Also, on Tuesday, the Senate Judiciary Committee is expected to vote on the nomination of Jeff Sessions to serve as the Attorney General.
Again, please pray for passage in this Committee. Final vote by the full Senate is due next week.
Our Weekly Bible Study
Our Weekly Bible Study:
Week of Sunday, January 22 - Saturday, January 28, 2017
> > > To read the "One Year Bible" weekly letter, go here.
> > > To read the Shabbat Torah readings, go here.
More Daily Features
The Persecuted Church
"Remember the prisoners, as though in prison with them, and those who are ill-treated, since you yourselves also are in the body." (Hebrews 13:3)
Please visit the website for International Christian Concern to lift up prayers for the persecuted around the world, every day. Their link is: www.persecution.org -- or go here to connect. Thank you for interceding for our brothers and sisters who are suffering in Asia, the Islamic World, and the Far East.
"Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for." (Hebrews 11:1-2 )
'Tis the old time religion,
[or Give me that old time religion]
'Tis the old time religion,
'Tis the old time religion,
And it's good enough for me.
It was good for our mothers. It was good for our mothers. It was good for our mothers. And it's good enough for me.
Makes me love everybody. Makes me love everybody. Makes me love everybody. And it's good enough for me.
It has saved our fathers. It has saved our fathers. It has saved our fathers. And it's good enough for me.
It will do when I am dying. It will do when I am dying. It will do when I am dying. And it's good enough for me.
It will take us all to Heaven. It will take us all to Heaven. It will take us all to Heaven. And it's good enough for me.
Please go here.
Words and Music: Adapted from an African-American spiritual by Charles D. Tillman, who first heard it at an 1889 camp meeting in Lexington, South Carolina
About the hymn:
This song was sung in the Academy Award winning movie Sergeant York (1941).
During the 1800s and early 1900s "Old Time Religion" was popular at the brush arbor meetings which would draw Christians from an entire region for a week's worth of sermons and gospel songs like "Old Time Religion."
The brush arbor meetings where particularly predominant in Appalachia and Southern States.
Signs and Wonders
Italy avalanche: Ten found alive in Rigopiano hotel after two days
Rescuers in central Italy have found 10 survivors after an avalanche buried a mountain hotel. Four were pulled from the snow overnight, bringing the total number rescued to nine. Workers say they will continue efforts to free the others, and to find about 20 people still missing.
At least four people died when an avalanche triggered by an earthquake engulfed the Rigopiano hotel, in the Abruzzo region, on Wednesday.
On Friday, five of the survivors - four children and a woman - were pulled from the ruined hotel. There were cheers as the survivors emerged from a hole in the snow. They had reportedly taken refuge beneath a collapsed portion of ceiling, where they were able to light a fire to keep warm for two days.
There are also concerns that further avalanches could follow, Italian newspaper La Stampa reported.
Wednesday's earthquakes included four stronger than magnitude 5, in a region already struggling with heavy snowfall that buried phone lines and took out power cables. Many of the guests had gathered on the ground floor of the hotel to await evacuation following the earthquakes.
But the avalanche completely buried the hotel at about 17:00 (16:00 GMT) on Wednesday.
The force of the snow partially brought down the roof and, according to some reports, shifted the building 10m (11 yards) off its foundations. (BBC) Read More. [Note: this article includes excellent photos and maps, describing the scope of this disaster.]
- Father, we pray for those who may still be buried under this avalanche who are still alive. May You extend Your hand of blessing upon each one, that each would survive. Please comfort those who mourn, too, our Lord. We ask in Your name, amen.
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25)
The Good News Corner
Muslim Woman Bedridden for a Year is Healed in Jesus' Name
(Germany) - [Godreports] An American missionary couple working with Ekballo Project answered God's call to Berlin, Germany, and have been ministering to refugees from the Middle East. They recently baptized a young man named Nizar who told them a story that demonstrates the power of Jesus name.
"My uncle's wife, she couldn't walk," Nizar recounted to them. Due to a serious back problem, she was confined to her bed for a year and her weight swelled to 220 pounds.
"My uncle was really lost, he didn't know what to do," Nizar said. His uncle had little work and was facing the possibility of relocation to another city. Nizar says his uncle is one of the toughest people he knows. At this point, he was desperate for any kind of breakthrough and cried out to God.
"OK, (God), what do You want from me? I have been through all this. You know that deep in my heart, I love You. I know that deep in my heart that I am Your child. Why am I suffering like this? Why do You let life hit me like this, break me like this?
"I was rich," he lamented. "I had a lot of money. I had a lot of friends. What do I have now? I have a sick woman on the bed in the other room yelling all day for a year."
The he was stunned by a response from above, a Voice that said: Go to your wife and pray in the name of Jesus Christ. Put your hand on her back and she will be healed.
[Reported by Breaking Christian News]
Read more here.
"My Soul Longs For You" - Jesus Culture
The Bible Readathon
Our Bible Readathon Continues
"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." (Psalm 119:105)
We are now reading the Word of God every night from midnight to 6:00 a.m. EST. We are reading through the whole Word, from Genesis to Revelation, and beginning again in Genesis when finished.
Our numbers of readers continues to grow over time. All are welcome to join!
The access code is: 350430#. Please call at any time from midnight to 6:00 a.m. EST. WELCOME!
[Note: we are reading from these versions of the Scripture: King James, New King James, New American Standard, and NIV.]