Philadelphia college campuses
on alert. See the Brief, below -
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Monday, October 5, 2015
"Cast your burden upon the LORD, and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." (Psalm 55:22)
Due to the number of very serious issues listed for prayer, below, we will not delay
this posting, but will send it out shortly after midnight tonight.
The next issue of the Daily Brief will be published on Tuesday evening. Thank you.
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
1. Israeli planes hit Gaza after rocket fired at south - Times of Israel
Israeli jets bombed a target in the Gaza Strip early Monday morning after a Palestinian terror group launched a rocket into southern Israel.
Palestinian media in Gaza reported Israeli strikes shortly after 2:30 a.m., a matter of hours after a rocket fired from the Gaza Strip Sunday night landed in open territory in the Eshkol Regional Council in southern Israel, causing neither injury or damage.
There were no immediate reports of injuries.
The IDF said in a statement that Israeli aircraft struck "a Hamas terror site in the northern Gaza Strip." (Read more)
2. Two killed in Jerusalem attack named as Nehemia Lavi, Aharon Banita- Times of Israel
The two Israeli men who were killed Saturday evening in a terror attack in Jerusalem's Old City were named by police as Nehemia Lavi, 41, and Aharon Banita, 22.
The two died of their wounds shortly after being stabbed in Jerusalem's Old City by a Palestinian terrorist. (Read more)
3. In second attack, Israeli teen stabbed near Jerusalem's Old City - Times of Israel
Palestinian man stabbed an Israeli teen outside Jerusalem's Old City early Sunday morning, in the second such attack in the past day. The suspected assailant was reportedly shot dead by Israeli security forces.
The 15-year-old victim, later named as Moshe Malka, was moderately injured and received treated on site by paramedics. He was taken to Jerusalem's Shaare Zedek Hospital in stable condition with wounds to the chest and back. (Read more)
- Abba, our hearts are saddened by the violence and uprisings that are taking place in Jerusalem. We pray for these victims, and their families. May You comfort and strengthen them. Please fill them with Your Shalom that passes understanding. Father, we pray for all of our Jewish brothers and sisters. We ask that You send warring angels to protect them from forces of darkness. We pray that they would have endurance during these hard times. We pray for them to cry out to You, YHVH, The Great I Am, The Alpha and Omega, The Aleph and the Tav, Creator, Protector, Provider, and Healer. May they turn their eyes toward You Father. We pray that they would cry out for Meschiach! That they would see Yeshua and come to know Him. We pray for the peace of Jerusalem, we know You have to allow certain things to happen for Your plan to take place, but we pray that Jerusalem would become a praise in the earth! In the name of Yeshua, amen.
- "I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill."
4. Jerusalem streets empty after day of terror - YNET News
Jerusalem's Old City and the Western Wall were relatively empty on Sunday morning, following terror attacks on Saturday night and early Sunday morning that killed two and wounded three.
The rare sight of empty parking spaces around the Western Wall highlighted the scant number of visitors. Those arriving in the area were mostly tourists and haredi residents of Jerusalem, and of course border guards and police. (Read more)
5. Pressure grows on Netanyahu to act with 'iron fist' in light of Palestinian terror onslaught - Jerusalem Post
Israel's political establishment reacted to Saturday night's stabbing attack by a Palestinian in Jerusalem's Old City, with calls for Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to react decisively.
The attack on Saturday resulted in the death of two Jews and the wounding of three others. It came just two days after two Israelis were shot and killed while driving through the northern West Bank, near the settlement of Itamar.
On Friday, Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked, a member of the security cabinet, said the government is not doing enough to fight terrorism. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we ask that You would give Prime Minister Netanyahu discernment and wisdom to deal with the pressures that are upon him. We pray that You would surround him with people of wisdom and integrity, who are trustworthy. We ask that You bless him with health, sleep, strength, and Shalom peace. Protect and bless his family as well. In the name of Yeshua, amen.
- "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you." (Psalm 32:8)
6. Israel 'playing with fire' onTemple Mount, Erdogan warns - Jerusalem Post
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan warned on Saturday that Israel was "playing with fire" by engaging in behavior on the Temple Mount that amounted to "subversiveness and treachery."
In an interview with the pan-Arab satellite network Al-Jazeera, Erdogan said that "the struggle over the mosque doesn't belong just to Muslims but also to Christians." (Read more)
7. Netanyahu says Israel's relationship with Russia has changed - and it's 'good' now - Business Insider
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel wants to avoid an adversarial relationship with Moscow and is unsure how Russia's recent military intervention in Syria will affect the situation there.
Netanyahu, in an interview recorded for broadcast on Sunday on "CNN's Fareed Zakaria GPS," did not join the United States and other NATO nations in criticizing Russia's taking military action in Syria. (Read more)
8. Weekly Prayer Alert from Intercessors for Israel - IFI
To read this weekly prayer alert, please go here.
9. Weekly Prayer Alert from Bridges for Peace - BFP
To read this weekly bulletin, go here.
10. Weekly Prayer Alert from Insight for Intercessors - (CHPP)
To read this bulletin out of Jerusalem, please go here.
The Daily Brief
1. Philadelphia on Alert - Alerts USA
FBI issues alert to all Philadelphia area colleges & universities due to recent social media post(s) threatening violence on Mon, Oct 5.
- Lord God, intercessors on the ground in Delaware are now reporting a similar alert for colleges and universities in that area, too. Lord God, we take these alerts with the utmost seriousness, and we now issue this edition of the Daily Brief late on Sunday night/early on Monday morning, so that we all might unite on the wall in intercession, crying out for Your hand of protection to rest upon these campuses in the next 24 hours. In the name of Jesus Christ we pray, amen.
- All of Psalm 91
2. House Complicates Iran Deal by Passing Bill to Make Iran Compensate Terror Victims - Townhall
The Justice for Victims of Iranian Terrorism Act (H.R. 3457), passed in the House of Representatives on Thursday, prohibits the lifting of sanctions on Iran until it pays compensation for its financing terrorism, according to language in the bill. The legislation, introduced by Rep. Patrick Meehan (R-PA), passed 251-173, with ten Democrats voting in favor.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned the world this week that relieving Iran from sanctions will only help to clear their path to a nuclear bomb. Any effort to slow that process, as H.R. 3457 intends, is a good start.
The president, not usually one to keep both ears open for his critics, is expected to veto the bill. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we lift up praise for this Congressional House bill which stands up for the victims of Iranian terrorism. Despite the reality that the president most likely veto this bill, it shows that some congressional members care about the Iranian terrorist victims and their families. We ask that You rise up and extend Your righteous right hand over this bill, protecting it and causing it to pass with enough votes to override anticipated veto. We pray this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "For a righteous man may fall seven times and rise again, but the wicked shall fall by calamity." (Proverbs 24:16 NKJV)
3. On Obama's Watch: Unemployment Soars, Economy Sours - WND
How can 94 million be out of the labor force and the jobless rate be only 5%? Let's run the numbers.
The federal government reports that a record 94,610,000 Americans are not in the labor force. That's out of a population of about 320,000,000. But at the same time, the unemployment rate is supposed to be only 5.1 percent. That percentage of the population would be 16,320,000.
Something doesn't add up here. Now, you know of course that with government figures there are all sorts of qualifications, conditions, quid pro quos and more. It was the AP that concluded "A sagging global economy has finally caught up with the United States." (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we continue to bring before You the deception that our government hands out concerning jobs and those who are unemployed. How can over 94 million people who are at the ages for employment not have jobs and yet our government says it is only an unemployment rate of 5.1 percent? There is also the 'myth' of how many 'new jobs' which are created with no countering truths of how many businesses are laying off thousands of workers. Have mercy, Father, and show Your people how to survive through these times. We pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. For indeed, those who are far from You shall perish. . ." (Psalm 73:26-27a NKJV)
4. Obama Administration and UN Announce Global Police Force to Fight 'Extremism' In U.S. - Breitbart
On Wednesday, Attorney General Loretta Lynch announced at the U.N. that her office would be working in several American cities to form what she called the Strong Cities Network (SCN), a law enforcement initiative that would encompass the globe.
This amounts to nothing less than the overriding of American laws, up to and including the United States Constitution, in favor of United Nations laws that would henceforth be implemented in the United States itself - without any consultation of Congress at all.
The United Nations is a sharia-compliant world body, and Obama, speaking there just days ago, insisted that "violent extremism" is not exclusive to Islam (which it is). Obama is redefining jihad terror to include everyone but the jihadists. So will the UN, driven largely by the sharia-enforcing Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and the pro-Islamic post-American President Obama, use a "global police force" to crush counter-jihad forces?
After all, with Obama knowingly aiding al-Qaeda forces in Syria, how likely is it that he will use his "global police force" against actual Islamic jihadists? I suspect that instead, this global police force will be used to impose the blasphemy laws under the sharia (Islamic law), and to silence all criticism of Islam for the President who proclaimed that "the future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we see an extremely dark future arising in the USA and around the world if and when these plans are implemented. We ask that You rise up and direct Your remnant how to stop or delay this kind of tyranny from being implemented upon all people groups. We pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "'Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you,' says the Lord." (Jeremiah 1:8 NKJV)
5. France tells Putin to confine airstrikes to Islamic State - AP News
With Russian warplanes bombing Syria for a third day, French President Francois Hollande told President Vladimir Putin on Friday that Moscow's airstrikes must be confined to attacking Islamic State militants, not other rebels opposing the Damascus government. (Read more)
- Lord God, we thank You that the French are demonstrating the courage to set boundaries upon Putin's actions based upon that which is acceptable according to international law. We ask that many other nations, including our own, would broadcast the same message to Russia. In the name of Jesus Christ we pray, amen and amen.
- "When I fixed My limit for it, And set bars and doors; When I said, 'This far you may come, but no farther, And here your proud waves must stop!' (Job 38:10,11)
6. Sources: Moscow got gas deal in exchange for Syrian airstrikes - WND
HAIFA, Israel - In exchange for Russia's military intervention in Syria, embattled President Bashar al-Assad acquiesced to Moscow's further exclusive exploration of gas fields off the Syrian coast, according to informed Middle Eastern defense sources speaking to WND. The silent agreement, the sources say, extends beyond the multi-million-dollar deal Syria signed in 2013 with Russian company Soyuzneftegaz for exclusive offshore drilling, development and production pertaining to a 2,190 square kilometer bloc of Syria's territorial waters. The area stretches from the city of Tartus, where Russia has a naval fleet, to Banyas.
On Friday, WND quoted Middle East defense sources saying Russia is updating battle plans to carry out possible airstrikes in Iraq as soon as next week. The sources said Moscow is awaiting a more formal request from the Iraqi government before expanding its campaign targeting insurgents in the region, a campaign that U.S. officials believe is primarily about asserting Russian influence.
Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi on Wednesday and Thursday made a series of comments supportive of Russian intervention in his country. The comments come after Iraq announced earlier this week it recently established an intelligence-sharing platform with the Russians, Syrians and Iranians. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, now we see why Russia is "offering" airstrikes to Syria's leadership and to Iraqi's leadership as well. It will bring Russia more access to gas fields located off the coastlines of Syria. We seek Your intervention into what is happening here, praying this in the Name of Jesus and under His Shed Blood, Amen and Amen.
- "It shall come to pass that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear." (Isaiah 65:24 NKJV)
7. Oregon shooter vs. Obama's 'universal background check' - WND
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms said at a press conference Friday that 13 firearms were recovered from the person and the residence of Oregon mass shooter Christopher Harper Mercer. The 26-year-old who shot and killed nine people at Umpqua Community College Thursday before losing his own life in a shootout with police had legal possession of all the guns, the ATF reported. The ATF said all the weapons were purchased legally, either by Mercer or his family members. Mercer was also wearing a flak jacket, which included five ammunition magazines.
President Obama has hammered on the theme that America is the only industrialized nation that has repeated mass shootings and he blamed "gun violence" on the nation's lack of gun control. He has advocated "common sense" proposals such as a universal background check using a centralized database across the 50 states. What this new information from ATF demonstrates is that the kinds of gun control that the prohibition lobby has been pushing, namely the "universal background checks," would not have prevented the tragedy in Oregon, said Dave Workman, senior editor of TheGunMag.com.
But none of the president's gun restrictions would have prevented Thursday's mass shooting at the community college, said Alan Gottlieb, executive vice president and founder of the Second Amendment Foundation. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, help us!! We ask that You confront our leaders with the facts of this case, causing them to acknowledge that exactly what was being called for politically already existed in this case. The shooter had legally passed background checks and was killing in a gun free zone.
We repent for ourselves and our nation that we have fallen so far that nowhere in the dialogue was any special concern expressed of how Your children, the Christians, were specifically targeted for murder. Have mercy, Father, upon these families and those who are still alive but wounded. Comfort all who are traumatized from this event, praying this in Jesus' Name and under His Shed Blood, Amen and Amen.
- "Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the wicked; for there will be no prospect for the evil man; the lamp of the wicked will be put out." (Proverbs 24:19-20 NKJV)
8. 28 Americans among the crew on cargo ship missing in Hurricane Joaquin - FoxNews
The U.S. Coast Guard resumed searching Saturday for a large cargo ship with 28 Americans on board that vanished as Hurricane Joaquin slammed the Bahamas.
Officials said the 735-foot ship, known as El Faro, was en route to San Juan, Puerto Rico, from Jacksonville, Florida. They said they received notification that the ship had lost power around 7 a.m. ET Thursday near Crooked Island in the eastern Bahamas, one of the islands most battered by the storm.
The Coast Guard said the crew told officials the ship had taken on water but that they eventually contained the flooding, Fox30 reported. Authorities said five Polish nationals are also on board the missing ship.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with the individuals and their families," TOTE Maritime Puerto Rico said in a statement. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, it has long been reported of how ships strangely 'disappear' in this Atlantic Ocean area called the 'Bermuda triangle'. We seek Your mercy upon all who are on this cargo ship and ask that the crew or at least the ship will be 'found'. We seek Your special comfort and strength to surround all the families involved, praying this in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear." (Isaiah 59:1 NKJV)
9. Obama Ordered Kerry and Samantha Power to Snub Netanyahu at UN - Jewish Press
President Barack Obama instructed U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power to be absent from the U.N. General Assembly during Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's speech Thursday night.
Powers' absence was reported by The Daily Caller, based on a source who informed former U.S. diplomat and Fox News contributor Richard Grenell of the snub. MSNBC reported on Kerry's absence.
The United States was represented at the speech by Daniel Shapiro, its Ambassador to Israel, and David Pressman and Richard Erdman, the U.S. Alternate Representatives to the United Nations.
The audience at the General Assembly interrupted Netanyahu's speech several times with applause, but the U.S. delegates kept their hands in their laps. One of the ovations followed the Prime Minister's charged that the nuclear deal with Iran already has resulted in more terror and that it will bring war, not peace. Both officials were in New York for General Assembly meetings. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we are so saddened and stand in deep repentance for how the Obama administration continues to treat - and to disrespect -- Your special land Israel and its people. We seek Your mercy for Your remnant in this hour due to this kind of response and behavior, praying this in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "'No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which rises against you in judgment you shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is from Me,' says the Lord." (Isaiah 54:17 NKJV)
A Hollywood Actor Speaks Up
Regarding the Oregon Massacre:
James Woods: Obama, Media Ignore Christian Hate Crime
Actor James Woods is blasting the Obama administration for ignoring what he describes as the plight of Christian hate crime in the wake of the murders at Umpqua Community College in Oregon.
Chris Harper Mercer, 26, opened fire on the campus on Thursday, killing nine people and wounding seven. Mercer reportedly singled out Christians for death by asking the religion of potential victims before firing on them. Mercer was then shot and killed by law enforcement.
Tweeting on Friday, Woods said it was clear that the victims were killed because they were Christian but that President Obama and the media were ignoring that.
"NY Times writes a front page story about a hate massacre targeting Christians without using the word 'Christians,'" Woods tweeted, linking to story in the New York Times. Then: "If it is determined that the Oregon shooter targeted Christians specifically, that's the last we will hear of it on MSM [mainstream media]."
Woods then pointed out that President Obama's potential reaction had much to be desired: "Now that it is recognized that the terrible Oregon tragedy was an assault on Christians, will the President still sing Amazing Grace there?" Finally Woods tweeted a picture of the president with the comment: "Hate crime massacre of Christians finally silences Obama. #LiberalLaryngitis."
On Friday, Oct. 2nd, Woods tweeted:
"My God, what extraordinary people these young Christians were. The courage of their conviction is unimaginable." (Source: Newsmax) Read more here.
- Father, we thank You that at least one famous Hollywood figure is now speaking up against the now obvious and blatant persecution of Christians in America. Thank You, Lord, that James Woods has named these nine slain martyrs the heroes that they are. We ask that this message resound across the nation, and that Mr. Woods and his family be protected from harm in the days ahead. We ask this in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "Give to everyone what you owe them: . . . if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor." (Romans 13:7)
Supreme Court Opens This Week
Abortion, birth control, race top Supreme Court's agenda
Abortion, birth control and race are among the most divisive issues the Supreme Court will confront over the next nine months, amid a presidential election campaign in which some candidates are talking pointedly about the justices and the prospect of replacing some of them in the next few years.
The justices are returning to the bench on Monday for the start of their new term and their first public appearance together since a number of high-profile decisions in June that displayed passionate, sometimes barbed, disagreements and suggested some bruised feelings among the nine judges.
The three-month break probably is a good thing, Justice Samuel Alito noted in a speech at the University of Kentucky last month. By late June, "We tend to be kind of angry with each other," Alito said.
No single case before the justices in the new term holds the significance of the court's 5-4 decision in June that extended the right to marriage to gay and lesbian couples nationwide.
But the author of that opinion, Justice Anthony Kennedy, probably will play a similarly decisive role in the most important cases to be heard by the court. "On issue after issue, Kennedy provides the deciding vote," said conservative commentator Ed Whelan, no fan of Kennedy.
. . . Even before the term began, Democratic and Republican presidential candidates were describing the kind of justices they would appoint if nominated. The comments were at times specific, with some Republicans pledging to find nominees who are similar to conservative Justice Clarence Thomas. Democrats talked about putting people on the bench who would overturn court rulings that vastly liberalized the ability of the wealthy to finance political campaigns.
The talk about filling vacancies was more than mere casual banter because the oldest member of the court is 82-year-old Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and three of her colleagues are in their late 70s -- Justices Antonin Scalia, Stephen Breyer and Kennedy.
High court retirements between now and the 2016 election are extremely unlikely and, under the next president, almost certain. The last election year in which the court had so many justices in their 70s and 80s was 1988. Justices William Brennan, Thurgood Marshall, Byron White and Harry Blackmun retired from the court over the succeeding six years. (Fox News) Read more.
- Lord God, we stand in repentance that this Court ruled against traditional marriage this summer, and we now stand as a nation under Your judgment as a result.
Lord God, today we ask for two miracles. First, even though the issue of homosexual marriage is not on the docket yet for this year, we ask that another case surface that will be considered on this issue this year. And second, we ask that the prior ruling be reversed, in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ we pray, amen and amen.
- "I will restore your judges as at the first, And your counselors as at the beginning. Afterward you shall be called the city of righteousness, the faithful city." (Isaiah 1:26)
Update: Hurricane Joaquin
Record-Breaking Rain Delivers Devastating Flooding
to Parts of South Carolina
Lives and property will continue to be threatened in and around South Carolina through Monday as additional torrential rain pours down, further worsening already major to catastrophic flooding.
A Civil Emergency Message was issued by South Carolina Emergency Management Agency urging everyone across South Carolina and around Augusta, Georgia, urging people to remain safely where they are and to not venture to other destinations.
Extreme rainfall has put dozens of roads under water, making them impassible, while some communities are engulfed by flood waters.
Three people died in weather-related traffic incidents in South Carolina on Friday and Saturday, according to CNN. Another person died in North Carolina on Thursday when a tree fell onto I-95.
The high seas have also produced coastal flooding and beach erosion as far north as the Northeast Coast with another round of coastal flooding expected during the next high tide. (Accuweather.com; Sunday morning, Oct. 4) Read more
- Father, we are saddened by the news that four people have now died in this horrific storm, and of the devastation that is happening in its wake. Lord God, we do ask that You comfort those who mourn; and all emergency personnel be strengthened and given grace to do their work effectively in rescuing the lives of others. Come, Lord Jesus, we pray in Your name, amen.
- "Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19)
The 44 Seconds of SILENCE
Transcript of PM Netanyahu's Speech at the UN
Please find here the complete transcript of P.M. Netanyahu's speech, which was delivered to the 70th General Assembly of the United Nations on Thursday, October 1st.
> > > A prayer commentary offered by RaJean Vawter, President, Vawtermark Ministries:This morning in my quiet time, God took me to Acts 27:10 with Paul saying, "Men, I perceive that this voyage will end with disaster and much loss, not only of the cargo and ship, but also our lives."
You'll recall the story that though they were warned not to follow through with their dangerous plans, the leaders, in this case the centurion, the helmsman and the ship's owner, decided to ignore Paul's prophetic warning and they set sail. At first, it appeared that they would be OK. But they ended up loosing everything except their lives - and that was ONLY because Paul interceded for them. I think you can easily see that the application is obvious. Bibi spoke prophetically with one last warning to the nations of the world. Will they listen? Will we follow Paul's example and pray for the salvation for those who snubbed the message he delivered from the Lord?
Praying for the Psalm 83 War
Praying for the Psalm 83 War
by RaJean Vawter
(We thank RaJean for this contribution, too!)
War is coming to the Middle East. Soon. The signs are all around us. I don't need to go into all that's happening to validate that first statement. My question is, "How should we pray about it?" Blessedly, Scripture gives precise information as to how to pray.
Psalm 83 gives us not only what is going to happen and direction as to how to pray, it pinpoints the fact that the war it talks about is the very war that is shaping up to happen now. Probably by the end of 2015 or sometime in 2016. So, let's go through this Psalm and take a look at what it is telling us. Scripture is written in italics.
THE PRAYER OF DESPERATION - "Do not keep silent, O God! Do not hold Your peace. And do not be still, O God! For behold, Your enemies make a tumult; and those who hate You have lifted up their head. They have taken crafty counsel against Your people, and consulted together against Your sheltered ones. They have said, "Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation, that the name of Israel may be remembered no more." Note that even though these nations may fight Israel, they are actually fighting GOD!
Those last words have literally been heard in recent speeches, on newscasts, YouTube and published in print numerous times. Boldly and with great determination and hatred.
> > > Please note: this is only an excerpt of an excellent article that RaJean has written on this vital topic. The full text includes:
1. WHAT THE ENEMIES OF GOD HAVE AND ARE DOING TO FULFILL THOSE WORDS
2. HOW TO PRAY
3. PRAYER POINTS
> > > To read this study in its entirety, please go here. Highly recommended!
Putin Gets Pushy with Israel
Putin Gets Pushy with Israel
Wednesday, 30 September 2015 | Having joined forces with Iran to rescue the government of Syria's despot President Assad, Russia is pushing Israel. And Israel is pushing back.
Two days ago, right after a 90 minute meeting with US President Obama, Russia's President Vladimir Putin held a press conference with Russian reporters. Toward the end of the conference, a reporter asked him about the structural nature of Israel's coordination with Russia when the Jewish state carries out air strikes against targets in Syria. Putin's answer rattled Jerusalem.
Last week the Israeli Prime Minister flew to Moscow with a coterie of his top military officers. Following a meeting with Putin, Netanyahu announced he had discussed with Putin that, because of Russia's newly beefed up presence in Syria, Israel will need to coordinate with Russian forces its periodic airstrikes against enemy targets in Syria. Jerusalem does not want to provoke Moscow or accidentally engage its Air Force over Syrian skies.
On the face of it, then, the reporter's question to Putin was reasonable and, for his part, Putin's answer was restrained. According to the Kremlin's Russian transcript, the thrust of his reply was that no formal structure with Israel was under consideration. The only structure, he said, would be "interaction at the level of [each country's] military departments."
He also referred to Israel as "the Jewish state."
"We must respect the Jewish state," he said, because "Israel is not indifferent to what is happening in [Syria]."
Then, in the next breath, he added, "At the same time, there are issues that [raise] certain concerns related to [Israeli] air strikes in [Syria]."
Putin's "concerns" made headlines in every major news outlet in Israel. According to Ha'aretz, a left-leaning paper in Israel, Putin was hinting his intent to "clip Israel's wings over Syrian skies." The right-leaning Israel Hayom and centrist papers, Jerusalem Post and The Times of Israel," headlined Putin's use of the word "concern."
Why such a strong reaction to Putin's "concern?"
According to the Israeli intelligence website, DEBKA, there is a lot of backstory to Putin's press conference remark. (Bridges for Peace)Read more here.
Intercede for God's people in this dangerous situation, asking that the Lord cause Russia's own devices to bring about its downfall. Pray that Israel will have accurate intelligence regarding the role Iran is playing in Syria and will know what action to take.
"There is nothing reliable in what they say; their inward part is destruction itself. Their throat is an open grave; they flatter with their tongue. Hold them guilty, O God; by their own devices let them fall! In the multitude of their transgressions thrust them out, for they are rebellious against You." - Psalm 5:9-10 NASB
Thought for the Day
Are you in a hot spot in life?
For most of us, life has become extremely difficult in recent weeks. From physical difficulties and deadly disease, to financial disasters and broken relationships, nearly everyone I know has hit one of those "hot spots" of life.
A hot spot is an irritating, painful place in our lives where we just can't seem to get any relief. Sometimes they can be life-threatening. My husband jokes that his life is so bad right now that he goes to funerals for entertainment. (He's been to three in the last 3 weeks).
When we see people on PraiseNet who are walking through the valley of the shadow of death; when we ourselves are walking where that shadow threatens the very worst over us, we need to remind ourselves of the goodness of God.
NO MATTER WHAT, God is ALWAYS with us. It will not matter if we pass from this life into the next, He is Still THERE and always will be.
Trusting God is extremely difficult when circumstances overwhelm us. And believe me, circumstances overwhelm us all. (Speaking from personal experience). We are in the days when life is getting more difficult - we must hold fast to His robe and know that His heart is FOR us, not against us.
"For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for Me wholeheartedly, you will find Me. I will be found by you . . ." (Jeremiah 29:11-13 New Living Testament)
-- Pastor Faye Higbee
Our Weekly Bible Study
Our Weekly Bible Study:
Week of Sunday, Oct. 4 - Saturday, Oct. 10
> > > To read the "One Year Bible" weekly letter, go here.
> > > To read the Shabbat Torah readings, go here.
Our Grandmothers' Songs
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
SOFTLY AND TENDERLY JESUS IS CALLING
"He's calling you!" (Mark 10:49)
Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling, Calling for you and for me; See, on the portals He's waiting and watching, Watching for you and for me.
Come home, come home,
You who are weary, come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling, O sinner, come home!
Why should we tarry when Jesus is pleading, Pleading for you and for me? Why should we linger and heed not His mercies, Mercies for you and for me?
Time is now fleeting, the moments are passing, Passing from you and from me; Shadows are gathering, deathbeds are coming, Coming for you and for me.
O for the wonderful love He has promised, Promised for you and for me! Though we have sinned, He has mercy and pardon, Pardon for you and for me.
Please go here.
About the Author:
Words and Music: Will Thompson, 1880
About the Hymn:
When the world-renowned lay preacher, Dwight Lyman Moody, lay on his death bed in his Northfield, Massachusetts, home, Will Thompson made a special visit to inquire as to his condition. The attending physician refused to admit him to the sickroom, and Moody heard them talking just outside the bedroom door. Recognizing Thompson's voice, he called for him to come to his bedside. Taking the Ohio poet-composer by the hand, the dying evangelist said, "Will, I would rather have written "Softly and Tenderly Jesus is Calling" than anything I have been able to do in my whole life."
Signs and Wonders
THE MONSOON OF SOUTH CAROLINA 'ONCE IN 1,000 YEARS'
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- A dangerous rainstorm drenching the East Coast brought more misery Sunday to South Carolina - cutting power to thousands, forcing hundreds of water rescues and closing scores of roads because of floodwaters.
Emergency management officials sent a statewide alert telling people to stay off roads and remain indoors unless their homes were in danger of flooding. Interstate highways were closed by flooding - including a 75-mile stretch of I-95 in the eastern part of the state that is a key route connecting Miami to Washington, D.C. and New York.
. . . The Columbia area received the most rain overnight, with up to 14 inches reported in some places since Saturday, forecasters said. To the southeast, meanwhile, rainfall had exceeded two feet since Friday in some areas around Charleston, though conditions had improved enough that residents and business owners were allowed downtown on a limited basis.
At least six weather-related deaths have been reported since rains began spreading over the Eastern Seaboard, which appeared to dodge the full fury of Hurricane Joaquin, which is veering out to sea. . . Charleston Mayor Joe Riley said it in an interview that it appears the torrential rainfall has passed, but moderate rain may continue for 24 hours. He said he's never seen flooding as bad in his 40 years as mayor.
"This was a record storm," he said. "You know the amount of rainfall that we have experienced is unprecedented. I feel very fortunate that we were able to get through this as well as we have." (AP) Read more.
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25)
The Good News Corner
Chaplains Share Hope as California Fire Victims Face New Reality
Two weeks after deadly wildfires broke out across central California, two teams of chaplains are ministering to residents, many of whom are newly homeless. The chaplains are asking believers to keep praying as people begin the difficult process of seeing their damaged or destroyed homes and figuring out what's next.
When the Valley Fire broke out around 1:30 p.m. on Sept. 12, residents didn't know how little time they had to escape.
"By 4:00, that fire had spread, and people were fleeing for their lives just to keep ahead of the fire," Judy Tefft said. "It was really stuff that a movie is made of."
Judy and her husband Bob, who live in Michigan, are leading the team of Billy Graham Rapid Response Team chaplains ministering in and around Middletown, California.
Since the fire broke out, four people have died. Close to 2,000 structures, including hundreds of homes, have burned, making the Valley Fire the third most destructive in California history. . . .
About 150 miles southeast of the Valley Fire, the Butte Fire has killed two people and destroyed nearly 500 homes.
Jim and Sandy Giannestras traveled more than 400 miles from their Southern California home to lead a team of 11 chaplains ministering in the area of the
So far, the crisis-trained chaplain team has prayed with more than 100 people.
"We have had tremendous ministry with people," Jim Giannestras said. "Even the strong believers here have been stunned by the magnitude of what's happened."
Jim said many residents have lost not only their homes but their livelihoods, as businesses, vineyards and small farms were destroyed alongside homes.
Chaplains have also come across people who were already dealing with crises or major health issues before the fire.
"We've visited people in the hospital, and while they were in the hospital or having surgery they lost their home," Jim said. . . .
> > > To read more news from this article, including a list of specific prayer requests for both fires, please go here.
(Source: Billy Graham Evangelistic Association)
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Please enjoy the angelic voices of the Libera boys' choir, as we meditate upon . . . going home.
Two Daily Conference Calls
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners encourages you to participate, any day of the week, on these calls which are each ongoing, day and night! To learn more about how you can join these calls, please go here.