CHPP Daily Brief: "Praying for All in Authority" Friday, October 23, 2015
Congress Votes Today Whether to Defund Planned Parenthood. Read more here.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Friday, October 23, 2015
" . . . but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Corinthians 15:57)
"The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty . . ." (Zeph. 3:17)
Abide in Me . . .
Abide in Me . . .
An invitation to our weekly time of abiding . . . on Saturday night . . .
Acknowledging your obvious sins -- those things that have caused chaos and confusion in your life -- is the first step to peace and healing. Begin with what you know, and trust God.
"He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way." (Psalm 25:9)
Join us tomorrow night, Saturday, October 24, as we abide together in His presence.
Conference number: 605-562-3140
Access Code: 596015#
Time: 9:00 p.m. EDT/8:00 p.m. CDT/7:00 p.m. MDT/ 6:00 p.m. PDT
We welcome you all to come and join us in these very special times of worship, fellowship and fresh anointing as we gather together before His Throne of Grace. Amen!
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
1. Netanyahu: World must tell Abbas to stop incitement - Israel Hayom
Against the backdrop of the ongoing wave of Palestinian terrorism, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu traveled to Berlin on Wednesday for a series of meetings with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini.
At his meeting with Kerry on Thursday morning, Netanyahu said, "Yesterday was a tough day. We had four terrorist attacks. This morning began with an attack in which two terrorists tried to murder a bus full of school children. There's no question that this wave of attacks is driven directly by incitement. Incitement from Hamas. Incitement from the Islamic Movement in Israel and incitement, I'm sorry to say, from [Palestinian Authority] President [Mahmoud] Abbas and the PA.
"I think it's time for the international community to say clearly to President Abbas: Stop spreading lies about Israel. Lies that Israel wants to change the status quo on the Temple Mount, lies that Israel wants to tear down Al-Aqsa mosque and lies that Israel is executing Palestinians. All that is false. We remain committed to the status quo. We're the ones that protect all the holy sites. And Israel is acting to protect its citizens as any democracy would in the face of such wanton and relentless attacks. (Read more)
2. Man thought to be terrorist killed in Jerusalem after assaulting soldiers - Times of Israel
Two soldiers shot and killed a man they thought to be a terrorist in Jerusalem Wednesday night, after the man attacked them and tried to grab one of the weapons they were carrying.
According to police, the incident began when two soldiers boarding a bus near the entrance to the capital were asked for identification by an unknown man. When the soldiers, in response, asked the man to identify himself and submit to a search, he began physically assaulting them and tried to seize one of the firearms they were carrying, according to a police account. (Read more)
3. Bennett calls to 'truly unite Jerusalem' - Jerusalem Post
The current Palestinian violence should be seen as not only a crisis but also an opportunity, Bayit Yehudi leader Naftali Bennett said on Wednesday in an interview with The Jerusalem Post in honor of its upcoming Diplomatic Conference on November 18 in which he will be a featured speaker.
Bennett said that following the 1967 Six Day War, the government technically united Jerusalem by annexing sections that had been under Jordanian control for 19 years. But he said every Israeli government since then has refrained from taking steps that would truly unite the city such as providing Jewish and Arab neighborhoods equal services. (Read more)
4. Gaza university dean urges attacks on Israeli women, children - Times of Israel
Gaza university dean this week urged "military operations and bombings" against all Israelis, including women and children.
In an interview on Hamas's Al-Aqsa TV, Dr. Subhi Al-Yaziji, ', declared that "The Jews of Palestine are fair game today - even the women." He claimed that "every single Jew in Palestine is a combatant - even the children," and said Israelis "breastfeed them on hatred for the Palestinian people."
Therefore, said Al-Yaziji, "bombings should be carried out in the very heart of the enemy, in Haifa, Jaffa, Tel Aviv and Hadera, as was the case in the past, because that is what hurts the Jews." (Read more)
5. Israel quiet over 'hotline' with Russia on Syria - YNET News
It speaks volumes that Russia, rather than Israel, has been going public with details of a "hotline" and joint air exercises they have launched to avoid an accidental clash in the skies over Syria.
Israel is unusually tight-lipped about the military coordination, a reticence that officials and experts say stems in part from reluctance to signal any significant strategic shift away from the United States, its key ally but one that has reduced Middle East engagements as Russia steps up its own.
In a three-week-old campaign, Russian aircraft have backed up Syrian President Bashar Assad's troops as they try to regain ground lost to rebels during a civil war raging since 2011. (Read more)
6. Attacks on Israelis will go on, Hamas chief says in South Africa - Times of Israel
Hamas political chief Khaled Mashaal told a government-endorsed rally in South Africa on Wednesday that the wave of stabbing attacks against Israelis would continue.
Referring to the terror attacks as "the Jerusalem intifada," Mashaal told a crowd of several hundred supporters waving Hamas's white-and-green flag in Cape Town that "the uprisings shall continue until freedom is achieved and the land is for Palestine and its people." (Read more)
The Daily Brief
1. Rep. Chris Smith Says It Is Not Moral for Congress to Fund Planned Parenthood - CNSNews.com
House to Vote Today to Defund Planned Parenthood in a Reconciliation Bill
Rep. Chris Smith (R-N.J.) told CNSNews.com Wednesday that it is not moral for Congress to permit federal funding of Planned Parenthood, adding that he was saddened that for President Obama "everything is subordinated to the abortion agenda."
CNSNews.com asked: "In each of its last three annual reports, Planned Parenthood said it did more than 320,000 abortions. Is it moral for Congress to permit federal funding of an organization that aborts that many babies?" "No," Smith replied, adding, "I've said repeatedly, as a matter of fact it's closer to 330,000 - 900 per day, 7 million since 1973 dead babies."
"I think both the most recent scandal underscores the cruelty of Planned Parenthood and their willingness to use different methods of dismemberment in order to get body parts, I mean this is very macabre in my opinion," he added, referencing the scandal the abortion organization has faced in light of undercover videos released by the Center for Medical Progress. "The mere fact that they take the lives of so many children and hurt women is sufficient reason to give the money to other groups," Smith emphasized, "especially, you know, the federally qualified agencies that - I have several in my district - they do wonderful work. Give it to them."
CNSNews.com asked Smith if he had immediate plans to help defund Planned Parenthood.
"Well we've tried four times, and there will be an ongoing effort," Smith replied, "especially with reconciliation . . ." Smith was referencing the budget reconciliation bill that the House of Representatives will vote on Friday. Republicans will attempt to employ the reconciliation process to approve legislation to defund Planned Parenthood. The bill would block, for one year, at least 89% of federal payments to Planned Parenthood. (Read more)
- Father, our hearts cry out to You in repentance for our national sin of aborting and butchering our own babies; forgive us by your mercy and your grace, and by the Blood You shed for us at the Cross, we pray. Cleanse us, heal us, restore to us our consciences, we pray. We ask that the funding for Planned Parenthood will be stopped, both on the federal level and the state levels. We pray that this reconciliation bill, which would block for one year, at least 89% of these funds, would pass, until a more permanent solution can be found. We ask in Your precious Name, Amen.
- "Hide Your face from my sins and blot out all my guilt and iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right, persevering, and steadfast spirit within me." (Isaiah 51:9,10)
2. Ryan officially announces he's running for Speaker - The Hill
Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) is officially running for Speaker following demands he made of House Republicans this week to unify behind him. Ryan said he would not run for the chamber's top job unless he got endorsements from all three of the major House GOP factions: the hard-line Freedom Caucus, conservative Republican Study Committee and centrist Tuesday Group.
The Republican Study Committee and Tuesday Group endorsed him Thursday, while the Freedom Caucus said only that a supermajority of its members would back Ryan. Still, Ryan indicated that was enough for him to move forward after more than a week of consideration.
"I never thought I'd be speaker. But I pledged to you that if I could be a unifying figure, then I would serve - I would go all in. After talking with so many of you, and hearing your words of encouragement, I believe we are ready to move forward as a one, united team. And I am ready and eager to be our speaker," Ryan wrote in a letter to House Republicans on Thursday evening.
House Republicans will vote behind closed doors Oct. 28 to nominate a Speaker. A full House vote to formally elect a new Speaker is slated for the following day. (Read more)
- Father, we have come to the moment of truth, finally, and we thank You for this opportunity to pray for the next Speaker of the House. We know he doesn't always vote in alignment with Your Word, so we ask, Abba, that Your vote would be the deciding factor, as to whether or not Rep. Paul Ryan should be the next Speaker. Our trust is in You, and Your timing, and we give You praise. May You be glorified in the election of the one of Your choosing, we pray in Your name, Amen.
- "Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'" (Isaiah 30:21)
3. Gowdy to Clinton: This Hearing Is About What This Country Owes to Those Who Risk Their Lives to Serve It - CNSNews.com
Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), chairman of the House Select Committee on Benghazi, said Thursday that former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton would have testified before the committee sooner, but she had "an unusual email arrangement" with herself, so the State Department was not able to hand over her emails to the committee.
The committee's hearing with Clinton, Gowdy said, "is about what this country owes those who risk their lives to serve it. "It is about the fundamental obligation of our government to tell the truth--always--to the American people," he said.
"I understand you wanted to come sooner than today so let me be clear why that did not happen. You had an unusual email arrangement with yourself, which meant the State Department could not produce your emails to us," Gowdy said in his opening statement.
"You made exclusive use of personal email and a personal server. When you left the State Department, you kept those public records to yourself for almost two years. You and your attorneys decided what to return and what to delete. Those decisions were your decisions, not ours," Gowdy told Clinton. (Read more)
- Our God, we praise You that the truth is beginning to be released regarding the circumstances surrounding the deaths of these 4 great Americans serving us in Benghazi: our Ambassador Chris Rice, and the 3 Navy seals, the "best of the best", who put their lives on the line for all of us. We ask that the total truth be revealed, and may the former Secretary of State acknowledge that their lives did matter. May she be forced to honestly answer the hard questions and bear the consequences of her actions, we pray. In Your Name, we ask this, Amen.
- "Everything that is hidden will be shown, and everything that is secret will be made known.What you have said in the dark will be heard in the light, and what you have whispered in an inner room will be shouted from the housetops." (Luke 12:2,3)
4. Three States Sue Federal Government Over 'Unconstitutional' Obamacare Tax - CNSNews.com
Attorneys general for Texas, Kansas and Louisiana filed a joint lawsuit Thursday against the federal government in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas over what they claim is an "unconstitutional" Obamacare tax that will cost the 50 states more than $14 billion over the next decade. In March, states were first notified by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) that they would be assessed a Health Insurance Providers Fee - "a lump sum on all covered health insurance providers collectively, starting at $8 billion total in 2014 and increasing to $14.3 billion by 2018" - according to the lawsuit.
The federal government has also failed to provide the states "clear notice on the conditions of accepting federal funding," in violation of a Supreme Court ruling that states that "the principles of federalism require conditions on Congressional funds given to States must enable a state official to 'clearly understand' from the language of the law itself what conditions the State is agreeing to when accepting federal funds." (Read more)
- Lord, we thank You that these states are endeavoring to receive clarity regarding their fiscal responsibility in accepting these federal funds. We ask that the remaining 47 states would also get in line to straighten all of this out. We pray these states will be successful in the suit, and more information would be forthcoming as to where these funds will come from, and You would give them wisdom in dealing with this situation, we pray. Amen.
- "Let all things be done decently and in order." (I Corinthians 14:40)
5. Obama Vetoes Defense Bill - Reuters
President Barack Obama officially vetoed the $612 billion annual defense authorization bill on Thursday, returning the measure to Congress because of the way it uses money meant for war spending to avoid automatic budget cuts to military programs. "I'm going to be sending it back to Congress and my message to them is very simple: 'Let's do this right,'" Obama told reporters. "We're in the midst of budget discussions. Let's have a budget that properly funds our national security as well as economic security," he said.
Obama and many of his fellow Democrats are pushing for a broader budget deal that would address mandatory cuts in domestic spending rather than only providing more funds for the Pentagon. But Republicans, who control Congress, say Democrats are irresponsibly playing politics with national security in order to protect pet spending programs at a time when the United States faces rising threats around the world. "By placing domestic politics ahead of our troops, President Obama has put America's national security at risk," John Boehner, the Republican speaker of the House of Representatives, said in a statement.
Republicans have vowed to override his veto, only the fifth of his presidency, which would require two-thirds majorities in both the House and Senate. But Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic leader in the House, insists the chamber will sustain it. Under congressional rules, the House will consider the veto before the Senate. A veto override vote has been scheduled in the chamber for Nov. 5. The Democratic president is also unhappy with measures in the National Defense Authorization Act limiting moves toward closing the military prison at the Guantanamo Bay naval base in Cuba. (Read more)
- Father, we are sad to see this president, who has little regard for troops, who endanger themselves daily to protect him, and us, receive the funds they need to run an efficient national defense. Father, we do ask, that by Your grace and mercy, the Congress, in both houses, will override this veto, and reward those who serve us on a daily basis we pray. Protect our troops, and may all their endeavors be victorious, for Your glory, Amen.
- "I said to the Lord, 'You are my God.' Lord, listen to my prayer for help. Lord God, my mighty savior, You protect me in battle. Lord, do not give the wicked what they want. Don't let their plans succeed, or they will become proud . . . Selah"
6. UN asked to take action against Iran for recent missile test - Times of Israel
Britain, France, Germany and the United States on Wednesday asked a UN Security Council sanctions committee to investigate Iran's recent missile test, branding it a serious violation of UN resolutions.
US Ambassador Samantha Power told the council that the medium-range ballistic missile launched on October 10 was capable of delivering a nuclear weapon.
The four countries presented a report to the sanctions committee making the case that the missile test was a "serious violation" and requesting "appropriate action", according to a joint letter obtained by AFP. (Read more)
- Thank You, God, for this turnaround in U.S. policy regarding the actual dangers of a nuclear Iran. May this action be the beginning of the wake-up call that is truly needed, so that our leaders will suddenly realize the imminent threat that Iran poses to the nations. May this action also be the beginning of a full turnaround in policy, so that the Iranian "deal" will end up being null and void. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
- "Take counsel together, but it will come to nothing; Speak the word, but it will not stand, For God is with us." (Is. 8:10)
7. Netanyahu tells Ban Ki-moon: Abbas joined ISIS, Hamas in incitement - Ynet News
UN Secretary-General meets with PM Netanyahu and President Rivlin during surprise visit in effort to find a 'political solution' to current bout of violence; also set to meet with Palestinian President Abbas.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu accused Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas of "joining ISIS and Hamas in claiming that Israel threatens the al-Aqsa mosque" on Tuesday evening during a meeting with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.
Abbas, Netanyahu said, "unfortunately has been fanning the flames. He said on September 16, just a few days ago, that he welcomes 'every drop of blood spilled in Jerusalem.' That's a quote. President Abbas has not condemned a single one of the 30 terrorist attacks on Israelis over the last month. And he continues to glorify terrorists as heroes." (Read more)
- Father God, Elohim, we ask that You would cause Ban Ki-moon to seriously consider the words of P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu, for they are words of truth. Lord God, let this man, who has such an influence upon the nations of the world, begin to call good, good . . . and evil, evil. We ask that the scales would fall off of his eyes, so that he can stand with Israel in the days ahead, and call the nations to do the same. We ask this in Your name, Abba, amen and amen.
- "Out of Zion, the perfection of beauty, God has shone forth." (Psalm 50:2)
8. Israel's Netanyahu heads to Berlin to meet Kerry - AP
With no end in sight to weeks of Israeli-Palestinian violence, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu headed to Germany on Wednesday as part of a high-profile diplomatic push to restore calm. The trip, which included a meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel and talks with U.S. Secretary state John Kerry on Thursday, came on a day of new Palestinian attacks in the West Bank.
It remains unclear whether the diplomatic push will be able to succeed. The Israeli and Palestinian leaders have vast differences over the causes of the violence. It also is unclear whether anyone can rein in the attackers, who have been young "lone-wolf" Palestinians, often in their teens, acting on their own. (Read more)
- Father God, we thank You that P.M. Netanyahu continues to reach out to others in an attempt to forge alliances for the blessing of his people. We thank You for his demonstrated humility in doing so. We ask that his own efforts to restore calm in that region would be met with favor, and that progress would be made in bringing peace to the land. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "The way of the guilty is devious, but the conduct of the innocent is upright." (Proverbs 21:8)
9. (Middle School) Election Scrapped-For Not Being "Diverse" Enough - Liberty News
A middle school in San Francisco threw out student election results because the winners weren't "diverse" enough. Now, parents and students alike are up in arms.
The student election at Everett Middle School in downtown San Francisco's Mission District was held on October 9, but the results have not yet come out yet.
All students in the school voted in the election.
Principal Lena Van Haren, 36, however, justified valuing diversity over democracy by explaining that the student government had to be more "representative." Apparently, by adding voices that the student body itself has specifically not chosen to represent them.
After overwhelming controversy-both from parents and the media-Van Haren agreed to certify the original election results, and let white students like Sebastian Kaplan take the offices that the entire student body had elected them to have. But said she still stood by her effort to increase diversity in student leadership. (Read more)
- Lord God, we ask that the news of what has just occurred in this middle school be broadcast far and wide, that our people will sit up and take notice. Let this be a wake up call that our youth are being told that a "fair and square" election can be set aside for some other, socialist agenda. Lord, this is such a slippery slope. May we CRY OUT that these actions be stopped, and may the tongues of the wicked be silenced. In Your name, amen.
- "The voice of nobles was hushed, And their tongue stuck to the roof of their mouth." (Job 29:10)
10. Bible Distributing Breaks Record for 2014 - Christiannews.net
Last year saw the highest number of Bibles being given out by Bible Societies around the world. There was a six percent rise from 2013 as almost 34 million Bibles were distributed according to United Bible Societies. There were a total of 428.2 million scriptures being given out by international Bible Societies in 2014, including full Bibles, Testaments, Gospels and other smaller scripture items. (Link unavailable)
- Dear Lord, we end today's Brief with this wonderful news! In the midst of all the darkness in the world today, Your light still shines forth. Help us, O Lord, to be sensitive to the needs of those around us, day by day, for perhaps some of those hearts might just be ready to hear the Good News of the Gospel for themselves! We ask this in Your name, amen and amen.
- "And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come." (Matthew 24:14)
UNESCO is yet another corrupt UN institution biassed against Israel
Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ, This is the final update on the UNESCO resolution directed against Israel about which we have been praying.
The final draft of that falsified resolution was voted on, and approved, by the UNESCO Executive Board on Wednesday 21 October 2015
Firstly, let me share a little about UNESCO itself. All 195 member nations of the United Nations are members of UNESCO. There are also 9 associate members, whatever they are.
Currently UNESCO seems to operate through an Executive Board comprising the representatives of 58 nations, each elected for a short period of years. Only the members of this Executive Board voted on the anti-Israel draft resolution initially about ownership of the Western Wall, Rachel's Tomb, and the Cave of the Patriarchs.
Below is a copy of the new York Times (NYT) report on that resolution and the vote. I chose to share that particular report with you all because it was the only one I could find which contained the list of all the nations comprising the Executive Board. In the second paragraph of that report you will see the words 58-member executive board. If you click on those words up will come the current 58 nations. You will note that Israel, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are not members of that board. Here is a quote from the NYT report about how those nations voted.
A UNESCO spokesman said 26 members voted in favor of the resolution and six against, with 25 abstaining and one member absent, but did not provide a breakdown of the vote.
The American Jewish Committee said the United States, Britain, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany and the Netherlands had voted no. The group's executive director, David Harris, also said "determined efforts by Director-General Bokova and American diplomats helped to remove some of the most malicious language, for which we are very grateful."But he also said that "frankly, the entire measure should have been rejected by the UNESCO executive board."
I believe that vote was deliberately stacked against Israel. It is just another example of how the whole United Nations machinery has been corrupted by the devil and turned against Israel. As an old soldier I understand the importance of knowing your enemy and how he operates. The enemy is the devil, and in the process of praying about this false resolution we have learned of another organisation whose flesh and blood have been manipulated by the devil to oppose Israel.
With love in Christ Jesus,
Australian Indigenous Prayer Network
PO Box 27, Mapleton, 4560, QLD
Ph: (07) 5478 6765
Unesco Resolution Criticizes Israel Over Handling of Holy Sites - New York Times
Our Grandmothers' Songs
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
PRAISE TO THE LORD, THE ALMIGHTY
"Praise Him for His acts of power; praise Him for His surpassing greatness." (Psalm 150:1-2)
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation! O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation! All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near; Praise Him in glad adoration.
Praise to the Lord, who over all things so wondrously reigneth, Shelters thee under His wings, yea, so gently sustaineth! Hast thou not seen how thy desires ever have been Granted in what He ordaineth?
Praise to the Lord, who hath fearfully, wondrously, made thee; Health hath vouchsafed and, when heedlessly falling, hath stayed thee. What need or grief ever hath failed of relief? Wings of His mercy did shade thee.
Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work and defend thee; Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee. Ponder anew what the Almighty can do, If with His love He befriend thee.
Praise to the Lord, who, when tempests their warfare are waging, Who, when the elements madly around thee are raging, Biddeth them cease, turneth their fury to peace, Whirlwinds and waters assuaging.
Praise to the Lord, who, when darkness of sin is abounding, Who, when the godless do triumph, all virtue confounding, Sheddeth His light, chaseth the horrors of night, Saints with His mercy surrounding.
Praise to the Lord, O let all that is in me adore Him! All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him. Let the Amen sound from His people again, Gladly for aye we adore Him.
A Service to Celebrate the 60TH Anniversary of The Coronation of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Westminster Abbey, Tuesday 4th June 2013
Please go here.
About the Author:
Words: Joachim Neander, 1863 (German)
Music: William S. Bennett, 1864
Signs and Wonders
In Rare Warning, NASA Predicts 99% Chance of Big Earthquake Within 3 Years in This West Coast City
"The study builds upon more than two decades of NASA-led research to develop new methods to better measure and monitor movements of the solid Earth using satellite and airborne data and advanced computer modeling." - Andrea Donnellan
(Washington, DC)-A new NASA-led analysis of a moderate magnitude 5.1 earthquake that shook Greater Los Angeles in 2014 finds that the earthquake deformed the Earth's crust across a broad region encompassing the northern Los Angeles Basin and northern Orange County. The shallow ground movements observed from this earthquake likely reflect strain accumulated on deeper faults, which remain locked and may be capable of producing future earthquakes.
A team of NASA and university researchers led by geophysicist Andrea Donnellan of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California, used GPS and NASA airborne radar data to measure surface deformation in the Earth's crust caused by the March 28, 2014, earthquake, which was centered in La Habra, California. The earthquake was felt widely in Orange, Los Angeles, Ventura, Riverside, San Bernardino, Kern and San Diego counties. While the earthquake was relatively moderate in size, the earthquake's depth (3.6 miles, or 5.85 kilometers) and location within a highly populated region resulted in more than $12 million in damage. Most of the damage occurred within a 3.7-mile (6-kilometer) radius of the epicenter, with a substantial amount of damage south of the main rupture.
Donnellan's team found the earthquake deformed (the) Earth's crust across a broad region, but mostly south of the main rupture, consistent with the observed damage. They measured 3.1 inches (80 millimeters) of northward horizontal motion and about 0.2 to 0.4 inches (5 to 10 millimeters) of upward motion.. .
"The earthquake faults in this region are part of a system of faults," said Donnellan. "They can move together in an earthquake and produce measurable surface deformation, even during moderate magnitude earthquakes. This fault system accommodates the ongoing shortening of Earth's crust in the northern Los Angeles region." Tectonic motion across the Los Angeles region is distributed on an intricate network of horizontally and vertically moving faults that eventually release accumulated strain in the form of earthquakes, such as the destructive 1994 magnitude-6.7 Northridge earthquake.
Donnellan said a future earthquake to release the accumulated strain on these faults could occur on any one or several of these fault structures, which may not have been mapped at the surface. "Identifying specific fault structures most likely to be responsible for future earthquakes for this system of many active faults is often very difficult," she said. (Breaking Christian News) Read more.
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25)
The Good News Corner
Yet ANOTHER State Votes to Defund Planned Parenthood!
(Columbus, OH)-The Ohio state Senate has passed a bill intended to defund Planned Parenthood of all state and some federal taxpayer dollars.
The full chamber passed Senate Bill 214 by a vote of 23-10 this afternoon.
The bill would mandate that Ohio "state funds and certain federal funds are not used either to perform or promote non-therapeutic abortions, or to contract or affiliate with any entity that performs or promotes" them.
Ohio Senate President Keith Faber, R-Celina, said he found it "sickening" that Planned Parenthood receives taxpayer dollars. "An organization that has one of their people out there saying, 'I want to maximize the amount of money I get out of baby parts so I can get a Lamborghini,' is not an organization that's deserving of public money," he told Ohio media outlets.
State and national pro-life leaders cheered the bill's passage.
"As the U.S. Supreme Court has said, state governments have a real interest in preserving and promoting the health and safety of babies before they are born," said Alliance Defending Freedom Senior Counsel Casey Mattox, who testified in favor of the bill in front of the Ohio Senate's Government Oversight and Reform Committee on Tuesday. "States have authority to enact laws and policies that encourage childbirth over abortion, including withholding taxpayer subsidies. In fact, states aren't required to commit any resources to facilitating abortion." (LifeSiteNews) Read more. [Also reported by Breaking Christian News]
- Father God, today we rejoice at this GOOD NEWS coming out of the State of Ohio. We thank You that, even though Congress seems unable to block our federal monies from funding these "clinics," the States can do this for us! We ask that the momentum that is now building at the state level to defund Planned Parenthood will continue to grow and to strengthen until all 50 states in our nation say NO to this cruel practice. We ask this prayer in the name of Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." (Isaiah 43:19)
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
HE will make a Way where there seems to be no way
God will make a Way where there seems to be no way
He works in ways we cannot see
He will make a way for me
He will be my guide; hold me closely to His side
With love and strength for each new day
HE will make a Way
HE will make a Way
Two Daily Conference Calls
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners encourages you to participate, any day of the week, on these calls which are each ongoing, day and night! To learn more about how you can join these calls, please go here.