Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Tuesday, September 8, 2015
"We must obey God rather than man . . ." (Acts 5:29)
> > > Join a worldwide prayer chain to intercede for the plight of the refugee migrants in Europe by going here.
The Refugee Crisis: "We don't know the answer but we know we have to pray"
A Nation Under Judgment . . .
Abide in Me . . .
Abide in Me . . .
Day One: Tuesday, September 8, 2015
Do you long for deep inner peace and serenity?
In order to know peace on the outside, you must know if first on the inside. With God's help, you can achieve an internal peace -- a spirit that is free from worry and fear -- while navigating through an often turbulent and troubled world.
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)
Join us tonight as we abide together in His presence . . .
Conference number: 605-562-3140
Access Code: 596015#
Time: 9:00 p.m. EDT/8:00 p.m. CDT/7:00 p.m. MDT/ 6:00 p.m. PDT
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
1. Will Abbas Nullify the Oslo Accords? -Israel National News
Palestinian Authority (PA) chairman Mahmoud Abbas is planning to nullify the 1993 Oslo Accords, the Walla! Hebrew-language news websitereported Sunday.
The report cited senior PA official said Ahmed Majdalani, who was quoted as having told PA-based media that the decision will be discussed at the upcoming meeting of the Palestine National Council (PNC) in Ramallah, and Abbas will officially announce it at the UN General Assembly later this month.
According to Majdalani, Abbas will say at the UN that since Israel did not comply with the Oslo Accords and did not allow the establishment of a Palestinian state, the PA is no longer committed to the agreements. (Read more)
2. Israel unfazed by PA threat to end Oslo accords, declare Palestine occupied state - Times of Israel
Israel is unimpressed by reports about the Palestinians reportedly threatening radical unilateral moves at the United Nations, a senior Israeli official said Monday, accusing the Palestinian Authority of "brinkmanship" while reiterating Jerusalem's willingness to immediately resume bilateral peace negotiations.
"We view these threats with a certain amount of skepticism," the official told The Times of Israel, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the matter with the press. "The Palestinians routinely negotiate through brinkmanship. If they don't get what they demand, they threaten to jump off the cliff." (Read more)
3. Abbas: Israel should let Palestinian refugees from Syria into West Bank, Gaza - Jerusalem Post
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Saturday appealed to the United Nations to put pressure on Israel to allow Palestinian refugees from Syria and Lebanon to move to the West Bank and Gaza Strip.
Abbas asked the PA envoy to the UN to work with the UN secretary-general, Ban-ki Moon, to take the appropriate and necessary measures to absorb the refugees in the Palestinian territories, the PLO's Wafa news agency reported.
The report did not mention which refugees Abbas was referring to. However, Palestinian sources in Ramallah said that Abbas was specifically referring to the refugees in Syria and Lebanon. (Read more)
4. Don't lecture Israel about aiding needy Syrians, defiant Netanyahu says - Jerusalem Post
While Israel is not indifferent to the human tragedy of refugees from Syria and Africa, it is a small country that cannot throw its doors open to receive them, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Sunday.
Netanyahu's comments, made at the opening of the weekly cabinet meeting, came a day after opposition leader Isaac Herzog (Zionist Union) called on the government to absorb refugees from Syria.
"We have conscientiously treated over a thousand wounded from the fighting in Syria, and we have helped them rebuild their lives," Netanyahu said. "But Israel is a very small country, with neither demographic nor geographic depth and, therefore, we must control our borders."
Netanyahu said it must secure the borders both against illegal migrants looking for work, as well as from terrorists. (Read more)
5. Israel bolsters Jordan border to keep out terrorists, refugees - Times of Israel
Work on a 30-kilometer (18.6-mile) fence along a southern stretch of Israel's border with Jordan has begun amid efforts to protect Israel against security threats and to keep migrants and asylum seekers from entering the country, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Sunday.
The barrier will run along the country's eastern border - from Eilat northwards to the Samar sand dunes - and will join a series of other fences Israel has along other borders, including one recently completed on the Egyptian frontier.
The prime minister - during a visit to the planned route of the border fence in the south with Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon and Transportation Minister Yisrael Katz - said that Israel was not able to take in refugees. He pointed to the European refugee crisis as proof of why Israel needs the barrier.
Netanyahu's announcement came amid heated debate among Israeli politicians over how Israel, with its national memory of the struggle by Jewish refugees to escape the Nazi regime, should respond to the regional refugee crisis to which the Syrian civil war is a major contributing factor. (Read more)
6. Hamas: Long-term truce with Israel only after Gaza gets airport, seaport - Jerusalem Post
Hamas said on Sunday that any long-term truce agreement with Israel should include the reopening of the airport and the building of a seaport in the Gaza Strip.
The airport, which is named after Yasser Arafat, is located in the southern Gaza Strip. It stopped operating at the beginning of the second intifada, when the IDF destroyed parts of its tarmac.
Musa Abu Marzouk, a senior Hamas official, said that such an agreement should also include the reopening of the Rafah border crossing with Egypt and the lifting of the blockade on the Gaza Strip. (Read more)
7. Security forces arrest ISIS-affiliated Palestinian attempting to enter Israel - Jerusalem Post
Security forces announced on Sunday the arrest of a Gazan man who was a member of a terrorist group affiliated with Islamic State as he tried to pass into Israel via the Erez border crossing.
The Shin Bet (Israel Security Agency) named the suspect as 27-year-old Ihab Saed Abd al-Rahman Abu Nahal, from Gaza City. He was arrested in late July on his way to Qatar, where he wished to take part in an employment program for Gazan teachers.
The suspect took part in several attacks against the IDF during Operation Protective Edge in Gaza last year, as well as other attacks, the Shin Bet said. (Read more)
8. EU close to decision on labeling products from Israeli settlements- Jerusalem Post
EU close to decision on labeling products from Israeli settlements; as European migrant crisis worsenseling rules to inform consumers if imported Israeli products come from Jewish settlements in occupied Palestinian territories, the EU's top diplomat said on Saturday. Some EU countries, including Britain, already issue guidance to shops so consumers can see if goods are made in the settlements that most countries consider illegal, rather than within Israel's recognized borders.
The European Commission has to decide how to extend these guidelines to all the 28 countries of the bloc. "The work is close to being finished but it is still ongoing," EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said after a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Luxembourg. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we come before You alone in repentance for what is being plotted here. We pray that You would miraculously prosper the Israelis in both Judea and Samaria in a special way to counter the wickedness being acted upon them by the EU. We pray this in the Name of Jesus and under His Shed Blood, Amen and Amen.
- "Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me. Whoever offers praise glorifies Me; and to him who orders his conduct aright I will show the salvation of God." (Psalm 50:15 and 23 NKJV)
"Redeem Israel, O God, out of all their troubles!" (Psalm 25:22 NKJV)
9. Intercessors for Israel: Weekly Prayer Bulletin
To read this week's prayer alert from Intercessors for Israel, please go here.
10. Hebrew Nation News: Weekly Prayer Report
To read this week's prayer alert from Hebrew Nation News, please go here.
11. Bridges for Peace, Weekly Prayer Bulletin
To read this week's prayer alert from Bridges for Peace, please go here.
The Daily Brief
1. Atty. Matt Staver: Kim Davis Requests Relief Against Gov. Beshear Pending Appeal - Liberty Counsel
Cincinnati, OH - Today, on behalf of Rowan County, Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis, Liberty Counsel filed a request for an order providing relief pending appeal against Gov. Steven Beshear at the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeal. This is an emergency request for the Governor to accommodate Kim's religious conviction, which would free her from jail.
Today is a holiday where most people are spending time with family and friends. But for Kim Davis this is day five of her incarceration. While she is content no matter her circumstances because of her deep faith and Jesus, she should be free.
Today's filing addresses Gov. Beshear's inaction and refusal to consider easy accommodations for Kim Davis. From the outset of this case, Kim Davis has proposed numerous simple options to protect her sincerely-held religious beliefs. The Governor's refusal to take elementary steps to protect religious liberties has now landed Kim Davis in jail.
Coercing Mrs. Davis to authorize and personally approve same-sex marriage in violation of her religious convictions and conscience is wrong," said Staver. (Read more)
- Mighty God, we intercede on behalf of this courageous woman who is standing alone in this case for righteousness in the midst of political pressure. We pray that You Yourself would arrange for the Governor of her state to come to a proper understanding that she has closely held religious beliefs that qualify her for release from jail and exemption from prosecution. We bind up, in the name of Jesus, this obvious attack on this Christian woman and Christianity in general. Thank You, Father, for acting for her case to be dropped. In the name of Jesus Christ we pray, amen.
- "If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first." (John 15:18)
2. Abbas set to annul Oslo accords, declare Palestine a state under occupation - Times of Israel
The fog created by the ostensibly impending resignation of Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas appeared to clear Monday, as details emerged indicating that the resignation threats were no more than a diversion ahead of a dramatic move planned by the Palestinians: declaring Palestine a state under occupation and reneging on their obligations as detailed in the Oslo Accords.
The move was apparently decided on several months ago by Saeb Erekat, the acting head of the Palestinian negotiating team and the secretary general of the PLO's executive committee, who was the man behind a document setting out the Palestinians' diplomatic moves against Israel during the month of September.
Erekat, who is expected to be elected as a full member of the PLO Executive Committee at the organization's next meeting, is already emerging as one of the most powerful men in Abbas's circle and a potential successor to the 80-year-old PA president. Erekat was also the brains behind the Palestinian plan to up the pressure on Israel by joining institutions and organizations like the International Criminal Court at The Hague and others. (Read more)
- Father, we take our stand with Israel and declare that this intention to declare Palestine a "state under occupation" is false, misleading, and an all-out lie. We pray for this move to be side-lined and abandoned and for the Palestinians to abide by the Oslo accords and other treaties that preserve Israel. We pray for other countries individually as well as groups of countries to see through this ruse and support Israel. Thank You, Lord for strengthening your land and your people, Israel, even as the prepare to enter into their High Holy Days. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ (Yeshua), amen.
- "If the Lord had not been on our side (let all Israel admit it), if the Lord had not been on our side, we would have been swallowed alive by our enemies, destroyed by their anger. We would have been drowned beneath the flood of these men's fury and pride." (Psalms 124:1-5)
3. Russia 'is building military base in Syria' - Telegraph UK
Russia is building a military base in Syrian president Bashar al-Assad's heartland, according to American intelligence officials, in the clearest indication yet of deepening Russian support for the embattled regime of Bashar al-Assad. The anonymous officials say Russia has set up an air traffic control tower and transported prefabricated housing units for up to 1,000 personnel to an airfield serving the Syrian port city of Latakia.
Russia has also requested the rights to fly over neighbouring countries with military cargo aircraft during September, according to the reports. Mr Obama on Friday met King Salman of Saudi Arabia to repeat their demand that any lasting settlement in Syria would require an end to the Assad regime. It leaves the US and Russia implacably opposed in their visions for Syria. (Read more)
- Father, we ask for Your vision for the Middle East today. This is not about Presidents Putin, Obama, Assad or King Salman. You are the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords, and we ask You to have your way in Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Israel. Father, we entrust Russia to You, and we thank You that, as we pray, You will have Your way among the nations. Pave the way for your glory, and stand in the way of anything that opposes you. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Proverbs 21:1)
4. Hundreds of Christian leaders join hands to urge US Congress to junk Iran nuke deal - Christian Today
Emulating the examples of Moses and the prophet Esther who fought for what was right before their powerful leaders, about 650 Christian pastors and leaders have joined hands to call on members of the US Congress to junk the Iranian nuclear deal hatched by the Obama administration. Uniting under the banner of "American Christian Leaders for Israel," the network-which represents tens of millions of Americans-considers the nuclear deal as a threat to both the United States and Israel.
Mario Bramnick, president of the Hispanic Israel Leadership Coalition, said Congress members need to realise their biblical duty to protect the people of Israel. "We need to know that in Genesis we are mandated to bless Israel and that those who bless Israel will be blessed and those who curse Israel will be cursed," Bramnick said. "The US now, from a biblical standpoint, is in a very dangerous situation. Our administration through this deal has turned its back on Israel, jeopardising the security of Israel and opening the potential floodgates with issues regarding the judgment of the Lord," he added. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we ask that You will rise up and surround this delegation of Christian leaders, empowering them with Your special anointing so that congressional members will feel within their spirits a need to listen. May the anointing so 'overwhelm' them that the only vote they will be able to cast is to declare the need to support Your special land Israel and her people against this twisted Iranian agreement. We pray this in the Name of Jesus and under His Shed Blood, Amen and Amen.
- "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ." (2 Corinthians 10:3-5 NKJV)
5. Thousands of ISIS fighters could use migrant crisis to 'flood' into Europe, Nigel Farage warns - Telegraph UK
Thousands of Isil jihadists could use the migrant crisis to "flood" into Europe, Nigel Farage has claimed as he warned Britons not to "allow our compassion to imperil our safety". The UK Independence Party leader said there was a "very genuine fear" the extremists were exploiting the refugee crisis to get onto the Continent undetected.
He also appeared to blame Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, over the deaths of refugees by saying she has "compounded" the problem by being so open to asylum seekers. Mr Farage criticised her "very dangerous" stance and said she has helped create "huge incentives" for Africans to cross the Mediterranean in an attempt to reach Europe. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we lift up praise that Nigel Farage is sounding forth this warning and ask that You arise, causing his voice to be heard where it needs to be acted upon. This truly is a serious threat to all of Europe and to the USA as well. We know that many 'dangerous' refugees have already entered both Europe and the US, resulting in threatening and violent conditions to others who live there. We repent personally and for our nations, acknowledging that we deserve judgment. We seek mercy, Father, for Your remnant, praying this in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "Cast your burden on the Lord, and He shall sustain you; He shall never permit the righteous to be moved." (Psalm 55:22 NKJV)
"Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness?" (2 Corinthians 6:14 NKJV)
6. Pope calls on Europe's Catholics to help shelter Syrian refugee families - Washington Post
Issuing a broad appeal to Europe's Catholics, Pope Francis on Sunday called on "every" parish, religious community, monastery and sanctuary to take in one refu¬gee family - an appeal that, if honored, would offer shelter to tens of thousands.
Francis delivered his call as thousands of migrants blocked for days in Hungary continued streaming into Germany and Austria, and as a small but rising number of people are offering to take refugees in. Addressing a crowd Sunday in Vatican City's St. Peter's Square, the pope's call brought a rousing round of applause.
"Faced with the tragedy of tens of thousands of refugees who are fleeing death by war and by hunger and who are on a path toward a hope for life, the Gospel calls us to be neighbors to the smallest and most abandoned, to give them concrete hope," Francis said, as reported by the Associated Press. (Read more)
- Abba Father, on the surface this sounds so charitable. However much of Europe has learned in a destructive and threatening way that taking in large numbers of refugees who belong to a 'religion' that has zero intention of assimilating into the culture of the nation they are entering is extremely counter-productive to all the 'native' citizens and to the nation itself. This papal leader is known to promote ' the unity and blending' of multiple faiths, so giving into his 'pressure' is not acting according to Your Word. Father, we take the Blood bought Cross of Jesus Christ and 'hammer' it down through this appeal, so that it will shatter to nothingness, praying this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "The eyes of the Lord preserve knowledge, but He overthrows the words of the faithless." (Proverbs 22:12 NKJV)
7. Obama Makes Excuses for Chinese Warships in U.S. Waters - Breitbart
Pentagon officials said Thursday that five Chinese warships that appeared near Alaska during President Barack Obama's visit this week passed through U.S. territorial waters-and hastened to defend China's actions as being consistent with international law. The rush to avoid an international crisis contrasts sharply with China's own aggression any time the U.S. approaches Chinese waters or airspace, even where Chinese claims are dubious.
The Wall Street Journal notes that the Chinese vessels were participating in a joint military exercise with Russia: "China's Defense Ministry also confirmed for the first time that its navy ships had sailed to the Bering Sea for training after joint exercises with Russia in late August, but said the activity was routine and not aimed at any particular country." There is no other country except the United States that borders the Bering Sea.
The Pentagon's rush to excuse Chinese behavior fits a pattern across the Obama administration. Throughout the spring, the State Department was determined to ignore or spin Iranian violations of the interim nuclear deal. The main goal is to prevent any conclusion being drawn that would require an assertive U.S. military or diplomatic response, which would interfere with President Barack Obama's political claims to have ended war. (Read more)
- We come against this pattern of ignoring dangerous and provocative situations to avoid military action. We call for the Commander-in-Chief to perform his duties as a President should, especially since this seems to be an action that is aimed at him personally. We pray for him to come to fully know You as the leader and sustainer of his life. Father, please look after our country and raise up Godly leaders who have wisdom from You.
- "With him is the arm of flesh; but with us is the Lord our God, to help us and to fight our battles. And the people were strengthened by the words of Hezekiah king of Judah." (2 Chronicles 32:8)
8. Glencore leads European share rebound, but China hits Asia - Reuters
European stocks rose on Monday, lifted by mining and commodities giant Glencore after it pledged to slash its debt by a third, and countering a fall in Asian markets led by weakness in China following a four-day break there. Trading was lighter than usual with U.S. markets closed for the Labor Day holiday, while investors across all asset classes continued to digest the implications of last week's U.S. jobs data for the timing of the first U.S. interest rate hike since 2006. The FTSEuroFirst index of leading 300 shares closed up 0.48 percent at 1,399.34 .FTEU3 and Britain's mining-heavy FTSE 100 index finished up 0.52 percent at 6,074.52 .FTSE. (Read more)
- Father, we know that your guiding principles for the world are not found in economics. We do not serve money, but You, and we ask you to keep our minds focused on this, whatever may come from markets around the world in the coming days.
- "Gather the people together, men, and women, and children, and thy stranger that is within thy gates, that they may hear, and that they may learn, and fear the LORD your God, and observe to do all the words of this law" (Deuteronomy 31:12)
9. Congress returns to tight deadlines, key votes on Iran deal, Planned Parenthood - Fox News
Congress returns Tuesday to face several key decisions and short-term deadlines -- including votes on the Iran nuclear deal and a spending bill that if connected to efforts to defund Planned Parenthood creates the potential for another government shutdown. The House and Senate could vote as early as this week on the Iran deal.
Both GOP-controlled chambers are expected to pass motions of disapproval for the deal. But President Obama is expected to veto the motions and ultimately complete his historic foreign policy deal because neither chamber has the two-thirds majority to override the presidential veto. (Read more)
- Father, your timing is perfect with all the events unfolding this month, and we ask for your perfect harmony with the actions of Congress in the role you would have the United States play in both its foreign and domestic policies. Strengthen resolve where it needs strengthening, and give peace where there should be peace.
- "And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding" (Daniel 2:21)
10. 2,000 Democratic Staffers Invited to See Planned Parenthood Videos; Only 3 Watch - CNSNews.com
The pro-life group Susan B. Anthony List invited some 2,000 Democrat staffers to attend a screening Thursday of the nine undercover videos that have been released by the Center for Medical Progress showing top medical officials with Planned Parenthood Federation of America discussing the sale of body parts of aborted babies.
Fewer than 10 Democrat staffers showed up out of the some 2,000 Democrat staffers invited, and only three actually watched the videos - just two of whom watched all of the 90-plus minutes of video footage.
"Horror is hard to look at," SBA President Marjorie Dannenfelser said when CNSNews.com asked about the low turnout for the screening. "Horror is very difficult." (Read more)
- Father, we thank You for a time of refreshment during the August recess, and we thank You for the Democratic Capitol Hill staffers who did not avert their eyes from the evil in our midst. We ask that You would stir their hearts, and plant immovable seeds for the protection of human life in public policy.
- "And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake." (Genesis 18:32)
FAA Publishes East Coast Alert
FAA Publishes East Coast Alert:
ADS-B, TCAS 'Unreliable' In Southeast In September
Last week, the FAA issued this bulletin for all pilots who will be flying up and down the East Coast. From Wikipedia, for those of us who do not know what the word NOTAM means, here is the definition:
A Notice to Airmen (NOTAM or NoTAM) is a notice filed with an aviation authority to alert aircraft pilots of potential hazards along a flight route or at a location that could affect the safety of the flight. NOTAMs are unclassified notices or advisories distributed by means of telecommunication that contain information concerning the establishment, conditions or change in any aeronautical facility, service, procedure or hazard, the timely knowledge of which is essential to personnel and systems concerned with flight operations.
The text of the actual alert/advisory follows:
ADS-B and TCAS will be disrupted during the whole month of September according to a NOTAM covering the U.S. Southeast. The FAA is warning all pilots flying from Virginia to Florida for the month of September that ADS-B and TCAS will be "unreliable" because of "military activities." The NOTAM was posted less than 24 hours before it was to take effect on Sept. 2 and gives only vague descriptions of what might happen. It also covers some of the most heavily traveled air corridors in the country and the announcement appears to have been a surprise to everyone who uses the routes outside of the military. NBAA is among the first to complain. "NBAA has voiced its concern to the FAA that these sort of significant impact tests need much more notice to operators in the NAS," the association said in a notice on its website.
The NOTAM says that the warning extends as far as 200 nm offshore but doesn't say precisely how the equipment might be affected. The NOTAM says that TCAS might fail to establish tracks on nearby aircraft and may not see aircraft that would normally trigger a TCAS resolution. It also says the first indication of nearby traffic might be a resolution alert. "False alerts are not expected to be generated by this military activity and any alerts shall be treated as real," the NOTAM says. To make up for when the TCAS may or may not be working, pilots "are advised to maintain an increased visual awareness in this area" and if they think they almost hit something without the TCAS activating to report the incident to ATC.
One member of our Board of Directors, who is himself a licensed pilot, has sent in this note of explanation:
TCAS, commonly called T-Cast, stands for traffic collision avoidance system or traffic alert and collision avoidance system, and ADS-B, an abbreviation for Automatic Dependent Surveillance Broadcast, are both electronic means that aircraft and ground based controllers use to identify aircraft. These are signals that aircraft send out principally so they can identify each other and be identified by ground controllers. In other words, they are for avoiding mid-air collisions!
They are very sophisticated systems of what was formerly known as "transponders"
> > > Clearly, there is a need to pray for the safety of all airliners and airplanes that are in these flight paths from now through October 1st. Please join us in prayer:
- Father God, we thank You that it is written the You are the God of heaven, earth, and all things under the earth. Lord God, even if we may not understand the potential danger that this announcement poses to passengers and crew of these airliners, we know that You do. We entrust this matter fully into Your Hands, and we ask protection for all who are involved. We ask this in the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord, amen and amen.
- "Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven." (Matthew 18:19)
[Source: AVWeb] Read more here.
See also: "FAA: Anticollision systems used by Florida aircraft 'unreliable' due to military activity" in the Tampa Bay Times. Go here.
Another Police Shooting
Gunman walks up to Las Vegas cops, starts shooting into car
Police in Las Vegas had an unidentified man in custody after he allegedly walked up to a pair of officers sitting at a stoplight early Sunday afternoon and began firing into their marked SUV. The alleged shooter, armed with a semi-automatic handgun, fired "multiple rounds" into the vehicle and struck one officer in the hand, Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Sgt. John Sheahan said.
The injured officer's partner chased the suspect and caught him in the parking lot of a nearby 7-Eleven convenience store, Sheahan said. The officers didn't fire any shots, but the assailant's gun was recovered. The injured officer, who was not identified, was taken to a nearby hospital and was reported in good condition, Sheahan said. (Read more)
- Father God, we cry out to You for the lives of law enforcement officers whose lives are all in danger from a spirit of lawlessness that has been unleashed upon our land. We ask that You would send special angels to surround them as they perform their legitimate duties. In addition to that, we ask that the words of those who are stirring strife against law enforcement would fall to the ground and that they would be silenced. We pray for a movement among Christians who would go to their own precincts and offer on-site prayer for the safety of these men and women, decreeinng Psalms 91 and 82.
- "He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways." (Psalms 91:11)
St. Augustine: Oldest City in our Nation
Florida city of St. Augustine to celebrate 450 years
September 8, 1565: The Founding of St. Augustine
King and Queen of Spain to Attend Today's Ceremonies
(The following information is an excerpt from The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. The entire article and be found online here.)
That history started on a warm September day in 1565, when a Spanish admiral, Don Pedro Menendez de Aviles, left his longboat and stepped ashore on a grassy spot of land on the Matanzas River. Welcomed by the peaceful Timucuan Indians who lived there and joined by the 800 soldiers, sailors, artisans and civilian families in his expedition, Menendez knelt, kissed a wooden cross and claimed the land for Spain and the Catholic Church.
The cross was carried by the expedition's chaplain and diarist, Father Francisco Lopez de Mendoza Grajales, who offered a solemn Mass - the nation's first - at a makeshift altar. The site would become the Mission Nombre de Dios, a still thriving 300-acre Catholic mission and shrine that's celebrated as the spot where Christianity came to America.
"Menendez did what Ponce de Leon couldn't do - he established a settlement for the king," says Eric Johnson, current director of the mission, adding that Menendez named it St. Augustine to honor the saint on whose feast day he first sighted Florida.
Flash-forward 450 years to St. Augustine's upcoming "Landing Re-enactment" on Sept. 8. Organizers promise it will be even more spectacular than past Founder's Day celebrations, complete with period artillery fire and a large outdoor stage. "It's done with great pomp and circumstance, with trumpets blaring, flags flying and banners waving," says Mr. Ste. Claire, of the 450th Commemoration. "It's a big show with impeccable detail."
King and Queen of Spain Felipe VI and Letizia are among the thousands of visitors expected at the free event, along with representatives of the Vatican and other Catholic Church dignitaries, according to Mr. Ste. Claire. And he's hopeful that Pope Francis, who is scheduled to be in the United States later in September, will "in some form" recognize St. Augustine's 450th anniversary.
Clad in 16th-century Spanish military uniforms and helmets, flowing robes and other period costumes, as many as 100 historical re-enactors, including one as explorer Menendez, will proceed from the landing area to Mission Nombre de Dios' Great Cross, a 208-foot stainless steel structure built for St. Augustine's 400th anniversary. The procession, with visitors joining in, will continue to the mission's freshly renovated Cathedral Basilica for a commemorative Mass that will be simulcast at the city's Flagler College.
> > > Editor's comment:
Although we acknowledge this day in American history, we have a difficult time "honoring" this founding, as Menendez landed on our soil with orders from King Philip II of Spain to "do away with" the French (Huguenot) colony that had been established one year previously at Fort Caroline (in present-day Jacksonville, FL).
Menendez carried out his orders to completion in a series of massacres that followed the founding of St. Augustine. He remained on the land to secure and strengthen the original fort, and the history of this Spanish settlement now remains to this day.
We understand that, 450 years later, these wars of religion no longer exist, and we say, "Father, forgive them, for they know (knew) not what they do."
Sara Ballenger, Founder
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
Our Weekly Bible Study
Our Weekly Bible Study:
Week of Sunday, September 6 - Saturday, September 12
> > > To read the "One Year Bible" weekly letter, go here.
> > > To read the Shabbat Torah readings, go here.
Our Grandmothers' Songs
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
"I was blind but now I see!" (John 9:25)
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound That saved a wretch like me! I once was lost, but now am found; Was blind, but now I see.
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear, And grace my fears relieved; How precious did that grace appear The hour I first believed!
Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come; 'Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far, And grace will lead me home.
The Lord has promised good to me, His Word my hope secures; He will my Shield and Portion be, As long as life endures.
Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail, And mortal life shall cease, I shall possess, within the veil, A life of joy and peace.
The earth shall soon dissolve like snow, The sun forbear to shine; But God, who called me here below, Will be forever mine.
When we've been there ten thousand years, Bright shining as the sun, We've no less days to sing God's praise Than when we'd first begun.
Please go here.
About the Author:
Words: John Newton, 1779
Music: James P. Carrell and David S. Clayton, 1831
About the Hymn:
This is probably the most popular hymn in the English language-a television documentary was even made about it. Perhaps it is because its words so well describe the author: John Newton was a slave trader before coming to Christ. It was sung at the funeral of American president Ronald Reagan.
Signs and Wonders
Meteor lights up Thai skies and web
BANGKOK: Thais were left stunned after a suspected meteor streaked through the daytime skies in a phenomena that also quickly lit up social media.
Footage from one Bangkok dashboard car camera captured a fireball followed by a brilliant white flash, that was also seen across the country.
"It was the middle of a blue sky day and there was a quick, bright light coming down," said Porjai Jaturongkhakun whose dashcam recorded the scene as he drove to work. "I usually see shooting stars at night but I have never seen one in the day before," the 30-year-old satellite engineer told AFP.
Porjai was one of a number of Thais who managed to capture the dramatic incident on their car dashboard cameras - with such footage and witness accounts quickly going viral on social media.
"It was a meteor for sure, I am confident, because it was fast and very bright", said Voravit Tanvuttibundit, adviser to the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand.
What we often call "falling stars" are actually tiny bits of space rock that smash into the atmosphere at about 60km (37 miles) per second, burning up in flashes of light.
"It is a normal occurrence but the meteor this morning was especially big and very bright", Voravit explained, adding that he also witnessed the meteor around 8.40am local time (0140 GMT).
In a country imbued with superstition, many took the meteor strike as an ill omen. "It was a bad sign showing the country and the government is in chaos," Facebook user Dilok Jantaradilok wrote.
What we often call "falling stars" are actually tiny bits of space rock that smash into the atmosphere at about 60km (37 miles) per second, burning up in flashes of light. (The Star) Read more.
[Link includes video of this meteor.]
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25)
The Good News Corner
Progress: Ohio's Number of Annual Abortions has Dropped by This Much Since 2010; the State's Lowest Year on Record
"Since 2001 there has been a steady decline in terminations. When examined from 2001 to 2014, the annual decline averaged approximately 1,000 per year."
The Ohio Department of Health released its annual report, "Induced Abortions In Ohio," yesterday.
The number of abortions overall continued to decline in 2014, down almost nine percent, at 21,186. Ohio had the lowest number of abortions since records have been kept (1976). It is almost 25 percent lower than 2010's number of abortions (28,123).
The state report noted, "since 2001 there has been a steady decline in terminations. When examined from 2001 to 2014, the annual decline averaged approximately 1,000 per year."
The numbers are according to the reports of abortionists, and dependent upon their word. The abortion industry has long been criticized for being under-monitored, for under-estimating gestational age so as to allow late term abortions, and for under-reporting the actual number of abortions paid for. Conflict of interest charges are commonplace, because in a multi-billion dollar, cash-only, nationwide business, accurate records may not be kept. (Read more)
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Andre Rieu - Amazing Grace
Enjoy "Amazing Grace" . . . with bagpipes!
Two Daily Conference Calls
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners encourages you to participate, any day of the week, on these calls which are each ongoing, day and night! To learn more about how you can join these calls, please go here.
ABOUT CAPITOL HILL PRAYER PARTNERS
To learn more about our ministry, and to sign up to begin receiving our daily alerts, please go here.
Events during September
Events during September:
March for Christ in Washington, D.C.
Celebrate 200 Years of our National Anthem!
Remembering Israel's Ten Days of Awe
PART ONE: 9/11
Observances to be Held on Friday, September 11th:
To read a summary of all 9/11 observances this year, please go here.
The end of the Shemitah year and the March for Christ in Washington, D.C.
Join the March for Christ in Washington, D.C.!
Sunday, September 13th: 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m
Ending in worship at David's Tent with the sound of
100 blasts of the shofar on the eve of Rosh Hashana!
For details, go here.
Praying during the TEN DAYS OF AWE: from Rosh Hashanah (Sept. 13) to Yom Kippur (Sept. 23).
For details, please go here.
To access the shortened, 12-page guide to prayer, please go here.
To access the full version of a guide to prayer during the 10 Days of Awe, please go here. (With many thanks to John Moore for developing this material for all of us to use.)
"Year of Thanksgiving for the National Anthem Bicentennial Celebration"
From 5:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Lincoln Memorial
For details, please go here.