Solar Eclipse Tomorrow!
For details, see our Signs & Wonders section, below.
TODAY! Pray for Houston!!
Religious Liberty Conference Call
605-562-3140; Access Code 123731#
2:00 p.m. EDT
(Sponsored by FRC)
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
"For You light my lamp; The Lord my God illumines my darkness."
WE ARE ASKING ALL OF OUR PRAYER PARTNERS TO READ THE VERSES BELOW OUT LOUD, AS A DECREE, KNOWING THAT THE WORD WILL NOT RETURN VOID. (Isaiah 55:11) THANK YOU!
". . . the glory of the LORD filled the temple. . ." (2 Chronicles 5:14)
The Daily Brief
1. Mike Huckabee Asks Pastors Across the US to Send Sermons, Bibles to Houston Mayor - Christian Post
Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said pastors from across the United States should send "thousands and thousands" of Bibles and sermons to the Houston mayor who demanded pastors turn over their sermons to the government due to their objection to an LGBT discrimination city ordinance. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, according to our Constitution, the First Amendment says that Congress can make no laws prohibiting the free expression of religion. The Mayor of Houston is not within her rights. She has no authority, according to the Constitution, to do what she is doing. Lord, what the devil meant for evil, turn to good. Let what is happening in Houston be a wake up call for America. Let them see what the gay agenda is doing and let America put a stop to it. It is time for America to wake up!
- "Awake, awake, Clothe yourself in your strength, O Zion; Clothe yourself in your beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city; For the uncircumcised and the unclean Will no longer come into you. Shake yourself from the dust, rise up, O captive Jerusalem; Loose yourself from the chains around your neck, O captive daughter of Zion. For thus says the LORD, "You were sold for nothing and you will be redeemed without money." (Isaiah 52:1-3)
2. Judge sides with student punished for criticizing lesbians - WND
The University of New Mexico and one of its professors will face trial on a charge of violating the constitutional rights of a student punished for expressing her opinions about lesbianism in a class described by the instructor as having "controversy built right into the syllabus."
Chief U.S. District Judge M. Christina Armijo denied a motion by the university to dismiss a case brought by student Monica Pompeo, who claimed she was improperly dismissed from the class for describing lesbianism as perverse in an assigned critique of a lesbian romance film.
Judge Armijo, in her Sept. 29 order, wrote that the First Amendment "violation in this case arises from the irreconcilable conflict between the all-views-are-welcome description of the forum and [the professor's] only-those-views-with-which-I-personally-agree-are-acceptable implementation of the forum." Hinkley wrote in the syllabus: "It's quite clear that we do not expect anyone to necessarily agree with the positions and arguments advanced in our work. There's controversy built right into the syllabus, and we can't wait to hash out our differences." (Read more)
- Lord, we thank You for this decision and that this student's rights to the freedom of speech under the First Amendment have been upheld. We ask Your hand of protection to rest upon her, and come against all forms of backlash against her. If this case is appealed to a higher court, we thank You for another just verdict then, too. In Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "Then I will restore your judges as at the first, And your counselors as at the beginning; After that you will be called the city of righteousness, A faithful city." (Isaiah 1:26)
3. Ebola 'czar' to skip House hearing, aide says - Fox News
"That the president chose a political operative rather than a health care expert to head up his administration's response to an outbreak of a deadly disease says a lot - and nothing positive - about the White House's line of thinking." (Read more)
- Father, Ebola is a health issue and it is not a political issue. Playing politics only harms the country. Lord, You are Lord over all. And You are Lord over this president. Lord, we ask that You would Bless him with wisdom, knowledge and understanding. Give him wise advisors that can direct him in the path that You want him to take concerning this Ebola epidemic in Africa.
- "It is He who changes the times and the epochs; He removes kings and establishes kings; He gives wisdom to wise men And knowledge to men of understanding."
4. Ebola Doctors at Breaking Point: 'This Constant Feeling That the Boat's Sinking' - Business Week
"I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel," said Lucey, a physician and professor from Georgetown University who is halfway through a five-week tour in Liberia with Medecins Sans Frontieres, the medical charity known in English as Doctors Without Borders. "The epidemic is still getting worse," he said by phone between shifts. (Read more)
- Father, Bless these doctors who give so generously of their lives, time and knowledge. In the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command Ebola to bend and bow to the Name of Jesus. You have put Your Word in our mouth and we command Ebola to bend and bow. We await the Sun of Righteousness to arise with healing in His winds and shine through His sons and daughters and they will put out the fire of Ebola. Lord, we pray in agreement with Your word through Johnny Enslow in yesterday's Daily Brief. Amen
- " . . . for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God." (Daniel 2:21)
5. Brutal female police enforce ISIS sharia vision on women of caliphate
- Fox News
Known as the Al-Khansa brigade, the group consists of about 60 armed women between the ages of 18 and 24 who patrol the Islamic State's Syrian stronghold. Their job, which they are said to perform with cruel relish, is to arrest and beat women who commit such transgressions as allowing ankles or wrists to show or being seen without a male chaperone. (Read more)
- Father, we stand in the gap and repent for the Western world who has allowed Islamic women to arise with such hatred and disdain for their fellow women. Forgive us for not instilling Christian values into their lives. Lord, if there is one shred of decency left in these women, may You cause it to arise. May they turn from their wicked ways. Cause them to see the evil that they have become. Lord, we pray for their salvation and redemption.
- "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace." (Ephesians 1:7)
6. ISIS assessed to have Sarin nerve gas capability - WND
The areas of Iraq that ISIS has conquered could give the jihadist army access to some 2,500 rockets containing the deadly nerve gas Sarin. The nerve agent housed at the Muthanna State Establishment is left over from the time the United States invaded and then bombed the facility during the first Gulf War in 1990. In June, following a Wall Street Journal report of the ISIS takeover of the Muthanna facility, the State Department acknowledged ISIS had captured the stockpile of old chemical weapons produced while Saddam Hussein, deposed in 2003, was president of Iraq.(Read more)
- Father, With whom have we made a coalition? It seems that Sarin has gone from Iraq to Turkey to be used by Al-Nusra to attack Syria. Father, we have evil partners who will use any weapon at their disposal to get what they want. We repent of joining ourselves to evil nations in order to defeat ISIS. Whom do we believe? Are these weapons only harmful to those who use them? Or is this another lie by our government? Lord, expose the hidden things and bring to the light the truth of these matters.
- "For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil." (Ecclesiastes 12:14)
7. Pakistani court upholds death sentence for Christian woman accused of insulting Islam - Fox News
Asia Bibi was harvesting berries in Pakistan five years ago when she took the drink of water that could cost her her life.
A Christian in the Muslim-dominated and increasingly intolerant nation, the mother of five was quickly assailed by the other women working the field in a tiny village in the Punjab province. First they said they would not drink from the same water bucket as a Christian. Later, they told police Bibi had insulted the Muslim Prophet Mohammad. The crime, blasphemy, is punishable by death.
Bibi, who denies insulting Mohammad and maintains her co-workers falsely accused her, was convicted in 2010. Last week, despite an international outcry, a court in Lahore upheld the verdict and affirmed the sentence that Bibi be hanged. The 50-year-old has 30 days to appeal to the nation's highest court. (Read more)
- Lord God of Mercy in Heaven, we appeal to the High Court of Heaven on behalf of the life of Asia Bibi. We thank You that she can yet appeal her case, and we ask You now to intervene on her behalf. We call forth good, strong counsel on her behalf and a release of this captive, in Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "I will make justice the measuring line And righteousness the level; Then hail will sweep away the refuge of lies And the waters will overflow the secret place." (Isaiah 28:17)
"Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne; Lovingkindness and truth go before You." (Psalm 89:14)
8. Rev. Billy Graham: 'America is Just as Wicked as Sodom and Gomorrah Ever Were' - CNSNews
Reverend Billy Graham, arguably the most well-known and respected evangelical preacher of the last 50 years, said in a recently published commentary that America was "founded by men who believed in prayer" and that prayer can turn "the tide of history," adding that while "America is just as wicked as Sodom and Gomorrah" and deserves "the judgment of God," this judgment can be lessened through prayer.
"Even though America is just as wicked as Sodom and Gomorrah ever were, and as deserving of the judgment of God, God would spare us if we were earnestly praying, with hearts that had been cleansed and washed by the blood of Christ," said Rev. Graham in his commentary for Decision magazine, published by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.
"The problems of the world will never be settled unless our national leaders go to God in prayer," he said. "If only they would discover the power and wisdom that there is in reliance upon God, we could soon see the solution to the grave problems that face the world!" (Read more)
- Abba Father, we thank You for what Billy Graham has spoken. May his words be clearly heard by our leadership and citizenry, causing them to fall in repentance before You alone. Only in this way can the US be healed. We pray this in the Name of Jesus and under His Shed Blood, Amen and Amen.
- "Help us, O God of our Salvation, for the glory of Your name; and deliver us, and provide atonement for our sins, for Your name's sake!" (Psalm 79:9 NKJV)
9. GMO labeling foes spend big on campaigns in Oregon, Colorado - Yahoo News
Opponents of GMO food labeling proposals on the ballot next month in Oregon and Colorado have contributed roughly $20 million for campaigning against the proposed laws, nearly triple the money raised by supporters of the initiatives, campaign finance reports show.
Both measures would require labels on foods made with genetically engineered crops, which are common in the United States. Voters in Colorado and Oregon weigh in on the issue in mid-term election voting on Nov. 4.
Similar mandatory labeling measures failed at the ballot box in California in 2012 and in Washington state in 2013. Vermont passed a mandatory labeling law this year, but a group of grocery manufacturers has sued to block the law.
Opponents who have contributed to defeat the measure include a long list of corporate powerhouses such as Monsanto Co., the leading developer of biotech crops. Other large contributors include PepsiCo Inc.,, Kellogg Co. and Kraft Foods.[KRAFTB.UL] (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, the reported corporate opponents to this GMO labeling on food are the creators and maintainers of these poisonous foods. They obviously do not care what it does to the lives and health of the people eating these foods. Have mercy, Father, and rise up to confront this intense evilness. We pray this in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "He who earnestly seeks good finds favor; but trouble will come to him who seeks evil." (Proverbs 11:27 NKJV)
10. Too Stupid to Roast Marshmallows - WND
America, it seems, has turned a corner. Its citizens are now officially stupid.
It's unbelievable that a nation that became the powerhouse of the planet, that set the standard for freedom, that churned out manufactured goods that made us the envy of the globe, that enabled its people to make that famous 5,000-year leap . . . now cannot be trusted to roast our own marshmallows without government guidance.
It seems the U.S. Forest Service recently published a 700-word guide on how to safely roast marshmallows. (The publication was released in time for Aug.30, which was officially, I kid you not, "National Roasted Marshmallow Day." Your tax dollars at work.)
This comprehensive article suggests that a 10-foot buffer between children and a fire is a good rule of thumb. Roasting sticks should be at least 30 inches in length. (Do the math for how long a kid's arm will have to be to roast marshmallows from 10 feet away with a 30-inch stick.) Oh, and don't eat too many marshmallows, since a lot of sugar may prevent children from sleeping well. And be careful of all those nasty calories and unhealthy ingredients in s'mores. Instead, we can roast thin slices of fruit and angel food cake for a "healthier" snack. "You're still having campfire fun, but the focus is on a healthier evening snack," the guide gravely informs us. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, this governmental booklet on how to roast marshmallows and create the snack of s'mores would be laughable except for the fact that it reflects how extreme is the governmental overreach into our lives and choices. Father, we have ever-increasing intrusion into not only our constitutional rights but into our private choices for our lives. Help us, Lord, as it is like a rising avalanche of belittling and destructive dictates to control all aspects of our lives. We ask this in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "Therefore know that the Lord your God, He is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and mercy for a thousand generations with those who love Him and keep His commandments; and He repays those who hate Him to their face, to destroy them." (Deuteronomy 7:9-10a NKJV)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"He will give His angels charge concerning you, to guard you in all your ways." (Psalm 91:11)
1. Ya'alon: No Gaza Rehabilitation if Hamas Rebuilds Tunnels - Israel National News
Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon made clear on Monday that if Hamas rebuilds the terror tunnels, Israel will stop the rehabilitation process of Gaza.
Ya'alon, who is visiting the United States, made the comments during a meeting with United Nations (UN) Secretary General Ban Ki-moon at UN headquarters in New York. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that You will give revelations to Israel if Hamas starts rebuilding the terror tunnels. We pray that Hamas will not be able to rebuild. We pray that the Palestinians would no longer go along with anything that Hamas tries to plan, but instead stand firm against them. We pray for the innocent lives in Palestine, Lord, we ask that You convict their hearts. We pray for their salvation, that they may come to know You, the one true God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. We ask this in the name of Yeshuah, amen.
2. Netanyahu stymies bill that would ease conversion process -Times of Israel
Only weeks after solving the budget crisis, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu may be facing another standoff with a coalition partner after he withdrew his support Monday from the controversial Conversion Bill.
"The prime minister is already thinking about the next elections, and he prefers an alliance with the ultra-Orthodox to supporting Hatnua's bill," Israeli news outlet Ma'ariv quoted a source in Justice Minister Tzipi Livni's party as saying Tuesday.
On Monday night, Livni promised that her party would not be deterred by the prime minister's decision. (Read more)
- Father, we understand that this is a sensitive issue for Prime Minister Netanyahu. We pray that he not feel pressure or fear any man, but that he only be accountable to You. We ask that Your will be done regarding this conversion bill, Father, Jesus spoke about the people worrying more about technical aspects of the Law, instead of genuinely living it from their hearts. We pray that ALL of our Jewish brothers would be open to hearing the voice of the Holy Spirit. Father, move upon their hearts to seek more than rituals. Give them a burning hunger and thirst that cannot be quenched without Your movement. We ask in the name of Yeshuah, amen.
3. Jordanian king equates 'Zionist extremists' to Islamic State - Times of Israel
Jordan's King Abdullah II reportedly said that alongside Muslim radicals like the Islamic State, there also exist Zionist extremists, and that countries looking to fight extremism must recognize it in their midst.
A Jordanian source, cited by a Jordanian newspaper, was present at a meeting between the monarch and Jordanian MPs, in which he made the comments while speaking about Jordan's efforts to battle extremists in Jordan and the country's involvement in a US-led coalition to fight the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq, according to Israel Radio. (Read more)
- Father God, Jordan has been a friend to Israel and we ask that nothing get in the way to change that now. We pray for the Jordanian King, Father, give him peace in his heart and mind over Israel and don't let him see them as extremists. Open his eyes to see how completely different the ISIS members are to anyone in Israel. We ask that any Zionist extremists remain calm and not act out in any way. That they be filled with Your Shalom Peace and seek to pray instead of resorting to violence of any kind. In the name of Yeshuah, amen.
4. Palestinians attack Jewish residents in East Jerusalem - Times of Israel
Palestinians hurled Molotov cocktails at an apartment building in a flashpoint East Jerusalem neighborhood just hours after it was taken over by Jewish Israelis, police said Tuesday.
No one was injured in the incident in the Silwan neighborhood late on Monday, which saw a gang of Palestinians firing flares and throwing firebombs at the building, a police statement said. No serious damage was caused and no arrests were made. (Read more)
5. Erekat: Operation Protective Edge in Gaza was attempt to destroy two-state solution - Jerusalem Post
Should the US choose to veto the Palestinian Authority UN Security Council resolution to put a timetable on Israeli withdrawal from the West Bank, the PA would apply for membership in 522 international statutes and organizations, Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erekat said Tuesday.
In comments carried by the Bethlehem-based Ma'an News Agency, Erekat said that the Palestinians would seek recognition from additional EU countries after Sweden and Britain each made moves toward recognizing a Palestinian state in recent weeks.
Erekat said that Israel's Operation Protective Edge in Gaza was an attempt to destroy the two-state solution, making it all the more important that the PA seek recognition now. "We have nothing to lose except loss itself," Ma'an quoted him as saying. (Read more)
- Almighty Father, we can say or ask for nothing except that Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. You are the only one who can move mountains or change the hearts of men. We ask that You do what You need to do to protect Israel and Your kingdom on earth. We pray in the name of Yeshuah, amen.
A Message from Speaker Boehner
A Message from Speaker Boehner
Congressional Committees Take Action on Ebola Crisis
The House's Response to the Ebola Outbreak
On Wednesday, Speaker Boehner laid out the actions the House and its committees have taken to assist and assess the government's response to the Ebola outbreak. "Numerous committees," he said, "are actively assessing the administration's response, and hearings have already begun. These oversight efforts will continue, and the House stands ready to act if it becomes clear legislation is needed to ensure the threat is countered aggressively and effectively."
Americans deserve to know that the federal government is taking every sensible step to protect them and their families from Ebola.
To that end, eight House committees have already taken action to assist and assess the Obama administration's response to the outbreak. We've held hearings with CDC officials, approved essential funding, and urged the administration to consider imposing a travel ban. The full list of oversight actions is availablehere. (Office of the Speaker of the House)
Statement by Rep. J. Randy Forbes
Forbes: DHS Policy on Travel from Ebola-Affected Countries Insufficient
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 21, 2014
Washington, D.C. - Congressman J. Randy Forbes (VA-04) issued the following statement in response to the Department of Homeland Security's announcement today that all individuals traveling from Guinea, Liberia, or Sierra Leone to the U.S. will be required to travel through one of five major U.S. airports where additional Ebola screening measures have been implemented.
"The additional restrictions that the Administration announced today are a minimal improvement over what we had in place yesterday, and far from sufficient. The United States government needs to immediately place a moratorium on travel to and from West African countries experiencing Ebola outbreaks, and to craft a comprehensive, preventative, containment strategy to ensure Americans' safety. I continue to believe Congress is obligated to reconvene immediately to develop such a strategy and prevent the spread of the Ebola virus in the United States."
Last week, Forbes issued statements calling for the U.S. government to implement temporary travel restrictions to and from Ebola-stricken West African countries, and for Congress to reconvene to address Ebola containment. Those statements are available here and here.
Tracking the Virus
Tracking the Virus
"And when Jesus went out He saw a great multitude; and He was moved with compassion for them and healed their sick." (Matthew 14:14)
1. Doctor Warns Test for Ebola Has One Fatal Flaw . . . - Breaking Christian News
Dr. Khardouri says the best hope for containing the spread of Ebola is the vaccine currently being developed, which could be given on a mass scale as early as six months from now. (Read more)
2. The Fervent Prayer Former Fiancée of Ebola Victim Thomas Eric Duncan Prayed for Community on Eve of Her Quarantine Release - Breaking Christian News
"Our hearts also go out to the two brave women who have been infected by this terrible disease as they were trying to help him. We are also aware of how much this has affected many other people of my city, Dallas, my country, the United States of America, even as it has in the country of my birth, Liberia." -Louise Troh (Read more)
3. A 'Dark Winter' of Ebola terrorism? - Washington Post
The world is experiencing virulent outbreaks of Ebola and Islamist radicalism. What if the two threats converge into one? (Read more)
4. GOP Cuts Caused Ebola? - Gary Bauer
That did not take long. The Obama/leftist/progressive political machine, following its long-standing and infamous rule "Don't let a crisis go to waste," has gone on the attack on the Ebola issue. The crisis they claim is due to Republican budget cuts. Baloney!
Budget cuts didn't let Mr. Duncan, "patient zero," come to America. Budget cuts didn't make the CDC or Barack Obama refuse to limit air traffic from the worst hit countries. Budget cuts didn't cause Mr. Duncan to be dumped at a Dallas hospital instead of one of the four specialized hospitals that are prepared to handle Ebola, resulting in two more victims.
These things were all caused by an addiction to left-wing orthodoxy, coupled with breathtaking incompetence. Money can't solve incompetence; it just makes it more expensive.
5. Ebola crisis turns a corner as U.S. issues new treatment protocols - Reuters
The United States issued stringent new protocols on Monday for health workers treating Ebola victims, directing medical teams to wear protective gear that leaves no skin or hair exposed to prevent medical workers from becoming infected.
6. Ebola crisis: the conspiracy theories - The Age
The outbreak began in September, when The Daily Observer, a Liberian newspaper, published an article alleging the virus was not what it seemed - a medical disaster - but rather a bio-weapon designed by the US military to depopulate the planet. (Read more)
7. Trusting This Administration On Ebola, Or Anything Else, Is Insanity - Townhall.com
We are seeing a real-life PowerPoint demonstration explaining exactly what happens when you turn the Executive Branch over to people who have never executed anything more complex than a sit-in at the local welfare office. Since everything they touch turns to failure, their response is to lie. And everyone sees it. (Read more)
The Daily Jot
Obama sends weapons to Islamic State
Wednesday, October 22, 2014
The Daily Beast reports that "At least one bundle of US weapons airdropped in Syria appears to have fallen into the hands of ISIS, a dangerous misfire in the American mission to speed aid to Kurdish forces making their stand in Kobani." A video posted on YouTube by the Islamic State (IS) shows a wide range of US made weapons had fallen into the hands of the caliphate. Previous IS videos show these terrorists driving US tanks, Humvees, and MRRAPs. There are reports that IS has confiscated three US fighter planes from conquered Iraqi basis. There is no doubt now that both US humanitarian aid and weapons are being used to establish and build the Sharia caliphate.
Now the White House is in damage control mode. Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes told CNN, "We feel very confident that, when we air drop support as we did into Kobani... we've been able to hit the target in terms of reaching the people we want to reach. What I can assure people is that, when we are delivering aid now, we focus it on the people we want to receive that assistance. Those are civilians in need. Those are forces that we're aligned with in the fight against ISIL [the government's preferred acronym for ISIS], and we take precautions to make sure that it's not falling into the wrong hands." With evidence that it is in the hands of the IS, I guess the White House is confident it has succeeded.
It would be easy to say these airdrops of weapons and aid are mistakes. What isn't easy to say is that the US "president's" actions repeatedly have shown us that he has aided and abetted the Muslim Brotherhood, al Qaeda, and other enemies of the US throughout the Middle East. The Islamic State is just a more successful offshoot of al Qaeda that this administration assisted in developing in its efforts to have a surrogate overthrow the Syrian government. Now there are routine stories of US weapons and aid falling into the hands of the IS. Then you have the Deputy National Security Advisor saying he is confident that aid and weapons are "reaching the people we want to reach."
This begs the question of such supplies falling into IS control: Is it incompetence or intentional on the part of the US president? Similarly, many Americans are asking Congressional candidates if they voted for the "president." In his own political party, most are hedging their answers. The president says he knows the answer. He told the Globe and Mail, "it is difficult for them to have me in the state because the Republicans will use that to try to fan Republican turnout." He has not campaigned for one single senate candidate this year. He and his policies are toxic. Even the campaign advisors know it. As Jesus said in Matthew 7:16, "You shall know them by their fruits." Indeed, we should.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
In Government We (Mis)Trust
In Government We (Mis)Trust
Everywhere you look, government is growing. But according to a new poll, America's confidence isn't growing with it. According to a survey from Social Sphere, people are anxious about the problems facing the country -- and less convinced the government can do anything to fix them. Two-thirds of Americans think the country is "out of control" and expressed "alarm and anxiety" about the challenges facing us.
From Ebola and terrorism to health care and the White House, voters are scared and pessimistic about the direction of our nation -- a crisis of confidence that just happens to coincide with the midterm elections. Those numbers coincide with the sense of gloom in the Wall Street Journal's poll, which found a whopping 65% consensus who agreed that America is headed in the wrong direction.
"We haven't had a plurality saying 'right track' in over ten years," said one expert. "After 10 years, it's just part of the collective consciousness of Americans." The country is falling off the rails, and it isn't difficult to see why. Americans have endured almost two presidential terms of lawlessness, scandal, corruption, broken promises, and fierce attacks to their most cherished freedoms.
This may be a part of the explanation of the recent Pew Research Center survey, which revealed that a growing number of Americans want religion to play a greater role in U.S. politics. Despite the claims to the contrary, there is truth, and if you set your moral compass to it, you'll not only be led in the right direction, but those who are searching for the way will join with you. This is an opportunity for Christians -- if we won't allow ourselves to be intimidated and silenced by those who benefit from leading the nation into the moral wilderness. (Family Research Council)
Barack's Bad Deal
Barack's Bad Deal
Yesterday we told you that Barack Obama was prepared to circumvent the Constitution in order to get a deal with Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei regarding the Islamic Republic's nuclear weapons program. Today it seems we know a little more about that deal and why Obama is so eager to make sure the Senate can't weigh in.
Reports suggest that the Obama White House has made additional concessions to Tehran and is now willing to let the country keep thousands of centrifuges in operation. Faced with this prospect, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned:
"We are standing before the danger of an agreement that will leave Iran as a nuclear threshold state, with thousands of centrifuges through which Iran can manufacture the material for a nuclear bomb within a short period of time. This is a threat to the entire world, first and foremost to Israel, and it is much worse than the threat of Islamic State." (Gary Bauer)
Update: Houston (Romans 8:28)
Targeted for sermons:
'Houston 5' pastor speaks out
One of those 'ah-ha moments' exposing 'path to tyranny'
(Conference Call TODAY at 2:00 p.m.)
It's being called one of those "ah-ha moments" when freedom-loving Americans rise up in opposition to government tyranny.
And now a pastor caught up in the battle over sermons is responding to the national outrage . . .
One of the five Houston pastors subpoenaed by his city for sermons and other communications regarding homosexuality told WND he's a little surprised by the national attention given the dispute.
Dave Welch, executive director of the Houston area U.S. Pastor Council, said it was "just one of those God things."
"I don't think anyone could have remotely predicted the level of response from the nation," Welch told WND on Monday.
"It just hit a nerve. It was just one of those 'ah-ha' moments where the veil of how far we are down the road to tyranny was pulled back," he said. "For some reason, thankfully, it still reveals some reverence for the church and religion."
WND reported outrage from across the nation ensued, and lawyers with the Alliance Defending Freedom asked a court to throw out the subpoenas. Amid the protest, city officials at first doubled down, with Parker stating, "If the 5 pastors used pulpits for politics, their sermons are fair game." But Houston officials then said they would narrow the scope of their demand to "speeches" instead of sermons, a move ADF legal counsel Joe La Rue said was "wholly inadequate."
Christiana Holcom, ADF litigation counsel, dismissed the notion that the city had in any way backed off.
"The shame that the city of Houston has brought upon itself is real, but the claim that it has changed course is not. The city has so far taken no concrete action to withdraw the subpoenas. Furthermore, the subpoenas themselves are the problem - not just their request for pastors' sermons," she said. (Read more)
- Lord God, we praise You, not that this edict has been laid upon the pastors in Houston, but that through this event, You have drawn a "line in the sand" against the trampling of our constitutional rights by the government. Lord God, we praise You that millions of citizens across this great nation are now rising up and saying, "Enough!"
We continue to lift up these pastors and their congregations before Your Throne of Grace, for help in time of need. Strengthen them, O Lord, by Your mighty Hand, to stand in the midst of this battle and to not cave in to the illegal demands of this mayor. We thank You, Lord, that what Satan meant for evil, You are turning to good. We pray in Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." (Romans 8:28)
TODAY! Pray for Houston!!
Religious Liberty Conference Call
605-562-3140; Access Code 123731#
2:00 p.m. EDT
(Sponsored by FRC)
Ebola: Rubio Steps Up
Ebola: Rubio Steps Up
Florida Senator Marco Rubio announced yesterday that he is introducing legislation in the Senate to ban travel between the United States and the West African nations most ravaged by the Ebola outbreak. Rep. Dennis Ross (R-FL) is introducing a travel ban in the House.
In a statement, Rubio said, "We must take any and all necessary precautions to contain this virus -- and common sense restrictions on travel from countries now confronting this epidemic is an important step." Polls show that the vast majority of Americans agree.
At last count, 73 members of the House and 15 senators have publicly called for a travel ban. (Only 11 of the 88 are Democrats.) - Gary Bauer
Prayer for the Election (Part Six)
National conference call scheduled for tomorrow: (Thursday, Oct. 23)
9:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. Eastern
Dear Praying Brothers & Sisters:
Critical midterm elections will take place in just 2 weeks, and each of us must be about the Father's business in both prayer & inspiring Kingdom value votes towards transformation of our government and nation.
If you have been keeping track with the news coming out of Houston, you understand how quickly our God given liberty can fade away. We must STAND TOGETHER NOW and impact the future of our nation as well as our local cities.
Please consider the following national conference call scheduled for tomorrow: (Thursday, Oct. 23)
Thursday, October 23, 9-9:30PM Eastern
Impacting Our Future 123 VOTE
with Dave Welch, Houston Area Executive Director, US Pastors Council
Conference Number: 712-432-0075
Access Code: 6149782#
Let us intercede daily, and exercise our liberty AND responsibility at the ballot box on November 4. Thank you!
Together in Christ,
Dai Sup Han
Prayer Surge NOW!
(Please visit www.nationalhighwayofprayer.net)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
North Carolina Magistrates Resigning Over Same-Sex Marriages;
They Just Won't Do This
Carrying out court-ordered government mandates not only violates religious beliefs, but "desecrates a holy institution established by God Himself."
Some magistrates in North Carolina are choosing to resign rather than perform same-sex marriages.
Rockingham County Magistrate John Kallam, Jr. said carrying out gay marriages would violate his religious beliefs and "would desecrate a holy institution established by God Himself."
Kallam's last day will be Oct. 31.
Swain County Magistrate Gilbert Breedlove expressed the same sentiments, telling WTVD that marrying gay and lesbian couples violates his religious beliefs.
Breedlove's last day will be Oct. 20.
The resignations come one day after North Carolina magistrates were ordered to perform civil marriages for same-sex couples or face suspension or dismissal. The directive came after Elizabeth City Magistrate Gary Littleton refused to conduct gay marriages.
Chief District Court Judge Christopher Bean said that if Littleton keeps refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses, he must resign or face removal. (CBN) [Also reported by Breaking Christian News] Read more.
- Lord God, we thank You for these courageous men of God, who refuse to compromise their beliefs for the sake of their careers. Lord God, we thank You for your blessing that will rest upon them because they have been obedient to follow You. Thank You, Lord, in Jesus' name, amen.
- "Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus . . ." (Phil. 3:13,14)
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders
Partial solar eclipse to darken US skies this week:
Tomorrow - Thursday, Oct. 23
Mark Thursday (Oct. 23) on your calendar as "Solar Eclipse Day," for if the weather cooperates, you should have no difficulty observing a partial eclipse of the sun.
Nearly all of North America, except for a portion of eastern Canada and a slice of eastern New England, will experience the partial solar eclipse this week. People who live east of a line running from roughly Quebec City to Montauk Point, New York, will miss out on the solar show, since the sun will set before the dark disc of the moon begins to encroach upon it.
Local circumstances and eclipse times for the United States can be found here. (Fox News) Read more.
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
In Christ Alone
Yes, Lord . . .
Today's Birthday on the Hill
Almost every day of the year, a member of Congress or a Senator is celebrating a birthday. Let's lift up these men and women, day by day in prayer on their special day, that God might bless them and show them His love for each one. Indeed, let's move together in obedience to the Lord's mandate in I Timothy 2:1-4. It is written:
"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."
Today's Birthday Greeting goes to:
Rep. Patrick T. McHenry (NC)
(Source: Bible Pathways Ministries. www.biblepathway.org)
Our Prayer for You Today
Our Prayer for You Today
Here we are still, "ALL IN" for the service of Our Lord and Savior. Sometimes we limp, sometimes we crawl but a warrior never retreats. He may have to rest but never retreats! We may have to help each other up but we get up! Our hope is in Jesus . . .
Psalm 43:5 Why are you cast down, Oh my soul, And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God: For I shall yet praise Him, the help of my countenance and my God.