Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
Praying the Word of God . . .
in the Will of God . . .
over the Issues of the Day
Wednesday, November 13, 2013
". . . hold tightly to what you have until I come." (Rev. 2:25, The Living Bible)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at email@example.com, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. PHILIPPINES IN DISTRESS - For Zion's Sake News
"HELP US" is the cry from many thousands of displaced people right now even as food and water supplies are almost unavailable in many places after one of the largest typhoons ever recorded ripped through central Philippines. Some are saying that the death toll could reach beyond 50,000 and it could take months to clean up all of the debris and organize infrastructure rebuilding projects.
- It is being reported now that, if these people do not get food quickly, many who survived the typhoon will die within one week. The technology and the resources are in place to feed these thousands, so we ask our Lord to grant His wisdom and His grace to those in authority, that this task can be accomplished speedily. We ask in Jesus' Name, amen.
- "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." (James 1:5)
""The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'" (Matthew 25:40)
2. Early Obamacare data to signal how many still waiting to enroll - Reuters
The Obama administration will release healthcare enrollment numbers for Obamacare's rocky October rollout this week that could be more important for what they fail to say, than for what they do. President Barack Obama's Democratic administration, which is under intense pressure from Republicans to release the data, has signaled that the total will be low after weeks of technical problems with the federal website, HealthCare.gov. But that will only underscore the huge number of people believed to be waiting for a chance to obtain benefits, according to policy experts and congressional aides. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, this healthcare law continues to impact many people's lives in a very negative way. Many people are losing their current coverage and are finding the system not working to sign up for new coverage, finding the cost of the coverage is way beyond what they can afford. Forgive us Lord as a nation for falling so far away from Your ways and have mercy on us, rising up to put the fear of You into those responsible for this destructive law. We ask in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "Though his hatred is covered by deceit, his wickedness will be revealed before the assembly." (Proverbs 26:26 )
3a. Bill Clinton to President: Keep Your Promise on Obamacare - Newsmax
Former President Bill Clinton added to the pressure on President Barack Obama Tuesday to make good on his pledge that people would be able to keep their current healthcare plans if they wanted to, after many received cancellation notices from their insurance carriers. "I personally believe, even if it takes a change in the law, the president should honor the commitment that the federal government made to those people and let them keep what they got," Clinton said in an interview with OZY Media founder Carlos Watson. (Read more)
3b. White House: Obama agrees with Clinton - The Hill
President Obama agrees with former President Bill Clinton that the administration should honor his commitment that people who like their insurance can keep it, White House spokesman Jay Carney said on Tuesday. Carney said Obama addressed the issue during an interview with NBC last week when he asked his team to look at potential fixes - not ruling out a change to the law. (Read more)
- Father God, You turned Obamacare to sawdust at Your feet and there will never be an Obamacare because You destroyed it. We therefore intently pray that You, Father, will stamp Your approval on allowing the people to keep the insurance they already have, and reinstate it if there has been a lapse because of all the fuss over Obamacare. Protect our people with sufficient insurance coverage for all their medical needs today and forever. In the holy Name of Jesus we pray.
- "Now unto Him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us." (Ephesians 3:20)
4. Senate panel approves beefed-up oversight of drone attacks - Reuters
The Senate Intelligence Committee has quietly approved a plan to step up both public and internal government oversight of the use of armed drones to kill suspected militants overseas, including American citizens. The committee voted in closed session earlier this week to approve legislative language that would require U.S. spy agencies to make public statistics on how many people were killed or injured in missile strikes launched from U.S.-operated drones. (Read more)
- Lord, we are glad for this plan to start reviewing what is being done with drones. When drones controlled by our nation are used to kill a range of people in other lands, there needs to be accountability as to why and when and how many. Be in the midst of of this plan, Lord, we ask, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "Thus says the Lord: 'Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart departs from the Lord. Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, and whose hope is the Lord.'" (Jeremiah 17:5 and 7)
5. Criminal terror charges filed against Obama - WND
WASHINGTON -- Several prominent media sources in Egypt are now reporting that Egyptian lawyers have filed criminal terrorism charges in the International Criminal Court against President Obama in addition to the criminal terrorism charges previously filed in Egyptian courts against the president's half-brother Malik Obama.Malik Obama is quickly becoming a person of interest in Egypt for his alleged management of funds for a terrorist organization based in neighboring Sudan. A group of Egyptian lawyers, meanwhile have charged President Obama with crimes against humanity for his support of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt. (Read more)
- Mighty God, we pray all that has been hidden will come to the surface and the truth will be known without any doubt. We ask that the guilty will be tried and the charges brought against the guilty will be sentenced and brought to justice. Hold fast the rules of the law and the lawless will be found guilty as charged. In the Name of Jesus.
- "Wherefore should the nations say, Where is their God? Let him be known among the heathen in our sight by the revenging of the blood of your servants which is shed." (Psalm 79:10)
6. Voters to Revisit California Co-Ed Locker Room, Bathroom Law - CitizenLink
Nonprofit and faith-based groups have submitted enough signatures to qualify for a state referendum. The ballot measure would allow voters to reconsider a law letting students choose to use a boys or girls bathroom or locker room based on their "gender identity." Privacy for All Students (PFAS) submitted more than 620,000 signatures to election officials. It only needs 504,760. About 400,000 of these were volunteer signatures, supplemented by just over 220,000 paid signatures."As far as we are aware, this is the largest number of volunteer signatures ever submitted in a California referendum campaign," said Karen England of Capitol Resource Institute, a member of the PFAS executive committee. "It shows the degree of opposition that exists to opening the most vulnerable areas of public schools to the opposite sex." (Read more)
- Almighty God, You are our powerful Father in Heaven and we pray that in Your great mercy, eternal love, and ultimate protection that You will cast this law under Your feet in complete defeat and that this be removed from the ballot, and destroyed in absolute opposition to such a debauchery. Cover the children with the Blood of Jesus and assign a holy angel of God to stand beside every boy and girl in the State of California to protect them. We pray in the holy Name of Jesus.
- "But whoso shall offend or hurt one of these little ones which believe in Me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea." (Matthew 18:6)
7. New Jersey court ruling another blow to gay conversion therapies - LA Times
Echoing a similar ruling in California earlier this year, a New Jersey judge has upheld the state's ban on so-called gay conversion therapies for minors.
In August, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie signed into law a bill outlawing the controversial therapies, making the Garden State the second to do so after California. California's ban, which was passed in 2012, was upheld in federal court in August.
The New Jersey law prevents any licensed therapist, psychologist, social worker or counselor from using sexual orientation change efforts with children under age 18. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we see more and more of our rights as parents and as citizens being stripped away. Decisions that should be within the family are now being forbidden by the state. Lord, direct the lawyers trying to challenge these laws exactly how they can counter this kind of tyranny so that those who want to seek help, can receive it and not be barred from it by the state. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Do not keep silent, O God! Do not hold Your peace, and do not be still, O God! For behold, Your enemies make a tumult; and those who hate You have lifted up their head." (Psalm 83:1-2)
8. Military Chaplains Sue Over Harassment, Attack on Christian Faith - CitizenLink
A legal group on Friday filed suit on behalf of two military chaplains. According to the suit, a supervisor with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) mocked their Christian faith, repeatedly, during a chaplain training program. Retired U.S. Army Maj. Steven Firtko and U.S. Navy Lt. Cmdr. Dan Klender began the Clinical Pastoral Education Center program at a San Diego VA last year. Shortly after, they say the program's supervisor, Nancy Dietsch, began harassing their beliefs. (Read more)
- Father God, we ask that You go to the defense of these military Chaplains and be their refuge for their defense is of God which saves the upright in heart. May You bow down Your ear to them and deliver them speedily. Be their strong rock for a house of defense to save them. In the Name of Jesus we pray.
- "But I will sing of Your power; yea, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; for You have been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble." (Psalm 59:16)
9. CAIR & Muslim Leaders Plot Shariah Law Court in US - Freedom Outpost
Approximately 15 Muslim leaders, including Dawud Walid, Executive Director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations' Michigan chapter, met at the end of September in order to discuss establishing Islamic Shariah law courts that would grant women a divorce. Apparently, an article by Natasha Dado of the Arab American News, sparked the meeting, due to her exposing the difficulties Muslim women have in getting a divorce because their husbands refuse to grant them one. . . Now understand that if this was brought up in a Muslim country, . . . then the women speaking up would be silenced. In fact, with the way Shariah works the woman might find herself beaten or worse. (Read more)
To read the Arabic news source, go here.
- Father God, we cry out to the Lord God of heaven that You will shut every door to the enemy that would attempt to bore its way into a Court of Law in the United States. We ask that You would dislodge Shariah law from all the courts in Michigan and the United States as a whole. Put the Blood of the Cross of Jesus against Shariah law and against all those who promote it. In the Name of Jesus we pray, amen.
- "And the Lord discomfited and defeated them . . . and slew them with a great slaughter. And it came to pass, as they fled and were in the going down that the Lord cast down great stones from heaven upon them." (Joshua 10:10-11)
10. Atheist 'mega-churches' look for nonbelievers - USA Today
It looked like a typical Sunday morning at any mega-church. Hundreds packed in for more than an hour of rousing music, an inspirational sermon, a reading and some quiet reflection. The only thing missing was God. On Sunday, the inaugural Sunday Assembly in Los Angeles attracted more than 400 attendees, all bound by their belief in non-belief. Similar gatherings in San Diego, Nashville, New York and other U.S. cities have drawn hundreds of atheists seeking the camaraderie of a congregation without religion or ritual. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, just as Your word warned us as to the 'last days' there will be false prophets and many strange things upon the earth, we fall before You in repentance for all this. Forgive us Lord and direct our ways to awaken these 'lost souls' to turn to You alone and not to this world of emptiness. In the Name of Jesus we ask, Amen and Amen.
- "The eyes of the Lord preserve knowledge, but He overthrows the words of the faithless." (Proverbs 22:12)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
1. Aiming to calm critics, Netanyahu cancels massive settlement plan - Times of Israel
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ordered plans for new settlement construction pulled back late Tuesday, saying the move to push forward tens of thousands of new units over the Green Line was a "meaningless step" that would create pointless tension with the international community.
2. Liberman urges easing of tensions with US in low-key return to Foreign Ministry - Jerusalem Post
If Avigdor Liberman swept into the Foreign Ministry like a lion in April 2009, trashing the Annapolis agreement, he entered like a lamb on Tuesday, urging people to calm the over-heated rhetoric in relations with the US. (Read more)
3. Israel in diplomatic blitz to affect outcome of 'inevitable' Iran deal - Israel Hayom
Israeli diplomatic officials realize that a deal between the six world powers and Iran on curbing Iran's controversial nuclear program is simply a matter of time, and could even be signed as early as next week, when talks between the sides resume in Geneva. The Prime Minister's Office is planning a diplomatic blitz to ensure the agreement is as good as it can be from Israel's perspective.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves." Luke 10:3)
North Korea publicly executes 80, some for videos or Bibles - Fox News
As many as 80 people were publicly executed in North Korea earlier this month, some for offenses as minor as watching South Korean movies or possessing a Bible.
South Korean newspaper JoongAng Ilbo reported that the so-called criminals were put to death in seven cities across North Korea on Nov. 3, in the first known large-scale public executions by the Kim Jong-un regime.
A source, who is familiar with internal affairs in the North and who recently visited the country, told the paper that about 10 people were killed in each city.
Eight people -- their heads covered with white bags -- were tied to stakes at a local stadium in the city of Wonsan, before authorities shot them with a machine gun, according to the source.
Wonsan authorities gathered a crowd of 10,000 people, including children, at Shinpoong Stadium and forced them to watch the killings. (Read more)
- Reports like these cause us to fall on our knees and to cry out for mercy for our brothers and sisters in Christ, not only in North Korea, but throughout the world in countries where Christians live in persecution for their faith. May these deaths not be in vain, amen.
- " . . . and they loved not their lives unto death." (Rev. 12:11)
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Philippines: How You Can Help
Urgent News - Philippines Typhoon
[Ed. note: There are now many relief agencies that have sprung into action to assist the survivors of the typhoon in the Philippines. Below please find a message from one ministry, AGLOW International, offering their own assistance to this devastated nation. Thank you.]
The eyes of the world are on the Philippines today. Our love and prayers are surrounding the people there who are suffering tremendous loss following the deadly typhoon that struck the nation last week. Monday the nation was also hit by a 4.8 earthquake, and another typhoon is due to reach them by the end of this week. We are calling on God's mercy and power to diffuse the storms and cover the Philippines with His manifest presence.
Along with our prayers, Aglow International is sending disaster relief to the typhoon victims in the Philippines. I am asking you to stand with us in sending aid to those in desperate need of our help. Aglow Headquarters is sending all donations received for typhoon relief directly to the Philippines. Aglow Philippines National President, Tessie Felicio, has agreed to be the conduit for the funds. The Aglow family in the Philippines is poised to use all monies sent to them to purchase water, food, and other disaster supplies and deliver it the people who are in need. According to Tessie, while the city of Tacloban on a neighboring island is receiving media attention, there are also people on the northern coast of the island where she lives, as well as on nearby islands that are devastated and need help. The Aglow family will purchase supplies and has vans ready to deliver the aid directly to those in need.
Aglow Philippines has been collecting money to aid those affected by the Bohol earthquake that hit just a few months ago, Tessie said. This latest disaster is stretching them even more. It is urgent that we stand with them and hold up their arms with our financial gifts.
To make a secure, online donation, go to aglow.org/2013-typhoon-relief or mail your check to Aglow International, P.O. Box 1749, Edmonds, WA 98020 and mark it Philippines Typhoon.
Let us be that Radiant Light of the Goodness of God to the people of the Philippines.
Jane Hansen Hoyt
The Daily Jot
Looming: An economic storm of prophetic proportions
On October 18, 2011, the president expressed his support for the Occupy Wall Street movement. He said, "...we understand their struggles and we are on their side." Monday, Bloomberg reported that gains on Wall Street experienced the third biggest increase "since the 1930s" after reelection of the president, and the Standard and Poor's 500 Index had increased 108% since his first election. At the same time a record 91.5 million Americans have dropped out of the workforce, leaving predictions that by the end of this president's second term, the unemployed could exceed the employed. When history records the demise of America, it will question how it could have happened in a representative government.
But happen it may. I know you don't want to hear it. But this nation is so far from following the laws of God and His natural laws, that an economic collapse looms on the horizon and you had best prepare. The house of cards built by godless politicians since the last two years of the Bush Administration to the present will collapse. It may not be today or tomorrow or next week or next month, but it will collapse unless there is strong-armed and responsible intervention. Galatians 6:7-8 says, "Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap. For he that sows to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that sows to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
While telling his communist/anarchist inspired base that he is on their side, this president has used your hard earned tax dollars to line the pockets of Wall Street financiers to the tune of over $3 trillion through quantitative easing. This wealth transfer has falsely propped up the markets and the economy by 108% since he took office. Meanwhile, roughly 37% of the total American workforce has given up hope of having a job--about a third of the entire US population. And over half the number who have dropped out of the workplace are on welfare (47 million). Another 21 million people who do have jobs, work for the government (16% of the workforce). Soon there will be no independent workforce, no middle class.
There is only one people group that potentially has the answers to these horrors--Christians in America. I say "potentially" because in theory Christians should know the way to responsible living and governing because the Bible shows us. Yet the Bible is not preached from the pulpit in the vast majority of the Churches across America. Pastors and other hirelings have so convinced their congregations not to question them, that even people who know the truth of the gospel will not remove them.
Folks, if ever we are to turn this nation "of the people for the people and by the people" around, it has to start in the Church. Preachers and teachers advocating apathy and self indulgence must be removed and replaced with Bible believing firebrands for such a time as this. As Christ said in Matthew 5:13, "You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt have lost his savour wherewith shall it be salted? It is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men." Jesus was not self indulgent nor prosperous, but he changed the world. He didn't shrink from politics, he engaged it. He was BOTH the Lion of Judah AND the Lamb of God. And us? Are we called to be like Christ?
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Israel "Frantic" to Prevent Iran Nuclear Deal
Israel Frantic to Prevent Iran Nuclear Deal
"The deal that is being discussed in Geneva is a bad deal. Iran is not required to take apart even one centrifuge. But the international community is relieving sanctions on Iran for the first time after many years." -Benjamin Netanyahu
Nuclear talks between Iran and leading Western powers ended inconclusively in Geneva on Saturday, but the two sides agreed to get back together later in the month to sign what Israel says is a "very, very bad deal."
European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said of the Geneva talks that "concrete progress on Iran's nuclear program has been made, but some issues remain."
US Secretary of State John Kerry added that the two sides had "not only narrowed differences and clarified those that remain but we made significant progress in working through the approaches to this question of how one reins in a program and guarantees its peaceful nature."
But a day earlier, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu made a public plea to Kerry and his colleagues "not to rush to sign, to wait, to reconsider, to get a good deal."
Netanyahu reminded Kerry of his previous remark that "no deal is better than a bad deal." According to the Israeli leader, "the deal that is being discussed in Geneva is a bad deal. Iran is not required to take apart even one centrifuge. But the international community is relieving sanctions on Iran for the first time after many years."
Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon called the Geneva deal "a historical mistake that will allow the bellicose regime in Tehran to pursue its dangerous nuclear program and its ambition to spread terror and to undermine regimes in the Middle East and the entire world."
Israel Radio reported on Sunday that Economic Minister Naftali Bennett would be dispatched to Washington to lobby the American government against supporting the proposed Iran nuclear deal.
The Israeli reaction apparently displeased Kerry, who charged that critics of the Iran deal were "jumping to conclusions."
Speaking at a press conference following the Geneva talks, Kerry insisted that Western powers would only sign a deal that would allow them to "look our allies in the face and say, 'This gets the job done.'" (Breaking Christian News)
Additional Update from California
Additional Update from California:
Please pray for the CA referendum to repeal the "bathroom bill"
Praying Friends -
Please galvanize your circle of influence to be in prayer over the next few days and please send this email on to others.
As you may know, 620,000 signatures were turned in on Friday (and on Sunday in some counties) on referendum petitions to repeal CA Assembly Bill 1266, commonly called the "bathroom bill", which opens the bathroom, locker room, and shower doors of California K-12 public schools to both sexes and permits boys to join girl's sports teams, depending on how the student "feels" on any given day.
505,000 valid signatures are required to stop the "bathroom bill" from taking effect on January 1, and to place the matter on the November, 2014 ballot so California voters can have a say on the matter.
This means that 81% of the signatures turned in must be determined to be valid in order to achieve the needed 505,000 required. This is a very high percentage and very difficult to achieve. The campaign manager has told me he is hoping to know the results by the end of the week, but at this point it's not definite when we will know.
Please be in prayer as you are led.
I've been very brief here, so feel free to email or call me with questions. You will find more information on the website at www.privacyforallstudents.org.
With great thanks,
Anne Wigdahl Subia, MBA
Pastors' Rapid Response Team
San Diego, CA
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
A "Miracle" and Heroic Actions bring Hope out of Typhoon's Desolation
(Central Philippines)-Some help is arriving for those devastated by last week's Typhoon Haiyan which slammed the central islands of the Philippines, but more help is desperately needed. The huge storm tore apart whole cities and left at least 1,774 confirmed dead so far, though officials fear the death count could rise to around 10,000.
As survivors of Typhoon Haiyan wait and plead for assistance after being overwhelmed by the massive storm surge; accounts of heroism and a "miracle" baby's birth bring a glimmer of hope into the horrendous scene.
According to the SkyNews report, 21-year-old Emily Ortega-also eight months pregnant-had evacuated to a shelter when the typhoon slammed into her city of Tacloban, flooding it.
Clinging to a post, Emily was able to survive the surging water, and eventually she reached "relative" safety in the airport, receiving help from a military doctor there. Emily told officials how eleven of her family members, including two daughters, had reportedly "vanished" in the storm, which may have triggered her labor.
The doctor on site assisted with the birth of her baby girl. And as little "Bea Joy Sagales" was born, "cheers broke out in the terminal," and officials called the birth "near miraculous."
Elsewhere, a member of the Philippine Air Force described how he and 41 of his officers were "being swept by waters one-by-one." As he was swept away, he grabbed onto a coconut tree, along with a 7-year-old boy who clung to it as well.
Lieutenant Colonel Fermin Carangan described what happened then . . .
"In the next five hours we were in the sea buffeted by wind and strong rain," he said. "I kept on talking to the boy and giving him a pep talk because the boy was telling me he was tired and he wanted to sleep."
Finally spotting land, Carangan swam with the boy onto a beach which was covered by casualties of the storm. He noted that helping the boy gave him the strength to survive and ultimately saved his life.
In another account, a young British man and his work colleagues left the shelter they'd found during the typhoon to help others to get to a safer location to wait out the storm, in the city of Ormoc.
Jonathan Fitzpatrick's mother was reportedly downplaying her son's heroism saying, "He was not a hero, just working on his human instinct. In his eyes he has not done anything heroic, he has done normal things."
She added, "The real heroes are the people out there sorting out this mess now, providing care, food and water." (Reported by: Aimee Herd, Breaking Christian News)
Worship With Us Today!
"Find Us Faithful"
by Steve Green
"When they sort through what we've left behind...may the footprints that we leave lead them to believe; and the lives we've lived inspire them to obey. . ..May all who come behind us find us faithful."
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are! Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!