Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
Praying the Word of God . . .
in the Will of God . . .
over the Issues of the Day
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
". . . hold tightly to what you have until I come." (Rev. 2:25, The Living Bible)Our Weekly Bible Studies:
> > > To read the "One Year Bible" weekly letter, go here.
> > > To read the Shabbat Torah readings, go here.
Submitted by Susan L. Turner
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Full horror of destruction in Philippines revealed - Daily Mail UK
10,000 dead in one city alone
Filipinos struggle to cope with huge typhoon that was 'like a tsunami'
Typhoon Haiyan was a maximum category-five storm with ground winds of up to 235mph
Authorities say the death toll could be 10,000 in the city of Tacloban, Leyte, alone
Around four million people are said to have been affected, according to the the country's national disaster agency
800,000 evacuated before gales whipped up 19ft waves that battered the islands of Leyte and Samar
Hundreds of thousands of people in South East Asia have been evacuated and moved to shelters
UN says 2.5m people are in need of food aid and UNICEF have estimated 1.5 m children live in affected areas
Vietnam authorities moved 883,000 people in 11 central provinces to safe zones, government said. (Read more) Note: this link leads you to many amazing photos of the absolute devastation that has been caused by this typhoon.
- Heavenly Father, we ask You to be in the midst of this gigantic tragedy. Pour forth Your comfort, peace and strength into the people who survived, aiding them in all they must do. If they do not know You, draw them unto You and redeem their souls. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21)
2. The French save the West from a very bad nuclear deal with Iran - Wall Street Journal
We never thought we'd say this, but thank heaven for French foreign-policy exceptionalism. At least for the time being, François Hollande's Socialist government has saved the West from a deal that would all but guarantee that Iran becomes a nuclear power. (Read more)
- Lord, awaken the leaders of our nation as to what they are encouraging and its impact on Israel and the other nations of the earth. We ask You to rise up and confront our president, our Secretary of State, and all others who are decision-makers, filling them with fear of You. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty." (Proverbs 27:12)
3. REPORT: KERRY THREATENING ISRAEL WITH SANCTIONS - WND
Pressing Netanyahu to give up crucial land
Is Secretary of State John Kerry using the threat of tougher European Union sanctions on Israel to press Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu into land concessions with the Palestinians? Kerry is in the Israel in an effort to advance negotiations between the Jewish state and the Palestinian Authority.
Now Israel's largest newspaper, Yedioth Aharonot, has reported that Kerry is using the EU sanctions to blackmail Israel into complying with talks aimed at creating a Palestinian state that would include the West Bank and eastern Jerusalem. The newspaper claimed that Kerry "told the prime minister that he heard from his European friends . . . that if the negotiations fail, Israel can forget about participating in the European research and development program 'Horizon 2020.' (Read more)
- Abba Father, we fall before You to repent for our nation's leaders who are threatening Israel concerning Your covenanted land. Arise up and be in the midst of Your chosen people, especially abiding with Prime Minster Netanyahu, infusing them with Your strength to stand against all these threats. We pray in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble; may the name of the God of Jacob defend you; May He send you help from the sanctuary, and strengthen you out of Zion." (Psalm 20:1-2)
4. Public Revolts Against Obama, Political Establishment's Amnesty Efforts - Breitbart
According to new national polling data from Pew Research, the American people have revolted against President Barack Obama's and the GOP establishment's efforts to grant amnesty to America's at least 11 million illegal immigrants through comprehensive immigration reform.
"Only about a third of the public (32%) approves of the job Obama is doing on immigration policy; 60% disapprove," Pew wrote. "Obama's ratings for this issue among Democrats are mixed: About half (53%) approve of his handling of the issue while 42% disapprove." (Read more)
- Abba Father, we come before You to ask that this massive amnesty for illegal immigrants be stopped and not be allowed to become the law of the land. We ask that You, Lord, raise up Your right hand and extend Your arm to bring it crashing down, in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "Give us aid against the enemy, for human help is worthless." (Psalm 60:11)
5. ENDA Passes Senate - Congressional Prayer Caucus Foundation
"Senators voted 64-32 Thursday (Nov. 7) for the Employment Non-discrimination Act (ENDA), rejecting an amendment to strengthen religious freedom protections for employers in the process. President Obama supports the bill, but ENDA faces a substantial challenge to passage in the House, where Speaker John Boehner opposes it.
After Senate passage, Obama urged the House to approve the measure, saying in a written statement, 'One party in one house of Congress should not stand in the way of millions of Americans who want to go to work each day and simply be judged by the job they do.'
ENDA, however, provides several reasons for opposition, the bill's critics contend. For one, there is the threat to the conscience rights of employers. In addition, there is its promotion of a view of sexuality that not only conflicts with Christianity but harms human prosperity. Foes also point to concerns about a growth in frivolous lawsuits and a loss of jobs."
- We continue to ask prayer that this bill be stopped in the House of Representatives, as its impact upon private businesses and nonprofit organizations will be devastating. Thank you for your prayers, in Jesus' Name, amen.
- "'This far you may come, but no farther, And here your proud waves must stop!'" (Job 38:11)
6. With Hawaii vote, same-sex marriage wave continues to grow - Los Angeles Times
When Hawaii's House of Representatives passed a same-sex marriage bill late Friday, the state joined a wave of activity -- mainly of lawsuits and legislation -- that has been rapidly growing since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down parts of the Defense of Marriage Act in June.
After a 12-hour marathon session, the Hawaii House passed SB1 with a 30-19 vote just after 10 p.m. on Friday. The action came just three days after lawmakers approved same-sex marriage legislation in Illinois. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, have mercy on us and this nation as this kind of legislation continues to expand across our various states. We thank You for the tireless efforts of Your remnant Bride in Hawaii to prevent this move, and we ask that You would strengthen each one in the inner man and to not grow weary in well doing. Abba, awaken more of Your remnant to rise up and pray and to question all these laws. We ask in the name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "For the ways of man are before the eyes of the Lord, and He ponders all his paths." (Proverbs 5: 21)
7a. Threat of Massive Grid Shutdown Increasing - The Gazette (Colorado Springs)
The nation's aging, vulnerable power grid and the threat of natural disasters and terrorist activity make a long-term collapse that could leave millions of Americans in the dark a growing likelihood. - To experts, it's not if, it's when. (Read more)
7b. As Worries Over the Power Grid Rise, a Drill Will Simulate a Knockout Blow - New York Times
- Pray that this huge undertaking will be fully successful in helping America, Canada and Mexico be prepared for a possible failure of our electrical grid. Come against a spirit of fear that has grown up around this initiative, and loose upon our people the spirit of peace. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)
8. ALERT! Chinese troops will have boots on the ground in Hawaii on Tuesday - Canada Free Press
Aloha Hawaiians! If you see what you think are soldiers from the Communist Peoples Republic of China Army wandering about in your neck of the woods Tuesday through Thursday next week, your imagination is not playing tricks on you. But don't worry while Chinese soldiers will have boots on the ground in Hawaii, they are only really "simulating". For the first time in history the U.S. Army will host the Communist Peoples Republic of China's Army on American soil Nov. 12-14, 2013. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we do not understand why our national leaders chose to allow troops from a nation basically hostile to our nation, to be on our land practicing 'war exercises'. Lord, we ask You to cast all these exercises into chaos and confusion, so that these visitors will leave and not return. In the Name of Jesus we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "'Is not My word like a fire?' says the Lord, 'And like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?'" (Jeremiah 23:29)
9. Out-of-fuel satellite incinerated as it entered atmosphere, officials say
- Fox News
Officials at the European Space Agency said Monday that a 2,000-pound satellite that had been steadily sinking toward Earth after it ran out of fuel last month re-entered the atmosphere Sunday, and disintegrated. In a status report posted on the European Space Agency's website , scientists said the GOCE, or Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer, re-entered Earth's atmosphere at 1:00 a.m. Central European Time Monday (7 p.m. Eastern Time Sunday) on a descending orbit pass that extended across Siberia, the western Pacific Ocean, the eastern Indian Ocean and Antarctica.
"As expected, the satellite disintegrated in the high atmosphere and no damage to property has been reported," the report said. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we lift up praise that this satellite was destroyed as it re-entered the earth's atmosphere!! Thank you Lord! We lift up praise that no one was injured by this re-entry. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who delights greatly in His commandments." (Psalm 112:1)
10. Senator Jim Inhofe's Son Killed in Plane Crash - WND
Dr. Perry Inhofe, the son of Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla., has died in a plane crash. Oklahoma City television station KOCO says a source close to the senator has confirmed his son was on board a plane that crashed near Owasso, Okla., on Sunday. The plane crashed in a wooded area about five miles north of Tulsa International Airport at 4 p.m., approximately 15 minutes after the pilot reported engine trouble.
Sen. Inhofe returned to Washington just last week, approximately a month after undergoing emergency heart surgery for extreme blockage in five arteries. The lawmaker turns 79 this month. He has been in the U.S. Senate since 1994 and is running for re-election next year. (Read more)
- Please join us today in praying for the family of Senator Inhofe in this time of loss. May the Comforter of our souls visit each one, bringing the peace that passes all comprehension, that only He can give. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted." (Matthew 5:4)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path."
1. Netanyahu and Peres strike different tones on Iran - Times of Israel
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu continued his hard line against Iran's nuclear program in an address to the Jewish Federations of North America General Assembly, repeatedly telling the gathering of American Jewish leaders in Jerusalem that the compromise being formulated is a "bad deal." (Read more)
[Editor's note: we regret that this article refers to the Prime Minister of Israel as being "hawkish," when his only concern is for the protection, the safety and the well-being of the citizens of his country.]
2. US anxious to sign deal with Tehran to avoid military strike - Times of Israel
A senior Israeli official said Sunday that the US was in a rush to reach an agreement with Iran over its controversial nuclear program because it feared that a military option would be the only alternative left if a deal failed to materialize. (Read more)
3. Israel-U.S. relations frayed over Middle East threats- USA Today
A draft deal with Iran on its nuclear program that Israel asserted would imperil its very existence is the latest sign that Israel and longtime ally the United States are as far apart as ever on how to deal with growing threats in the Middle East.
Analysts say the Obama administration needs to take Israel's fears seriously, while the White House insists it is doing what is best for the security of Israel, the United States and the Middle East. (Read more)
4. Putin, Saudi King Discuss Syria, Iran - Kremlin - RIA Novosti
Russian President Vladimir Putin and Saudi King Abdullah on Sunday discussed international issues over the phone, the Kremlin said in a statement. (Read more)
5. Iran Human Rights Abuses Overshadowed by Nuclear Program - Washington Free Beacon
Activists say concerns over human rights abuses in Iran, such as the imprisonment of U.S. pastor Saeed Abedini, appear to be taking a backseat to ongoing negotiations over the country's nuclear program. (Read more)
6. Islamists Threaten: Al Aqsa is 'a Volcano' - Arutz Sheva
The Islamic Movement in Israel warned Sunday against an alleged Israeli plan that, it says, will divide the Temple Mount between Jews and Muslims in a way that allows Jews to pray regularly, similar to current arrangements at the Cave of Machpela in Hevron.
Sheikh Kamal al-Hatib, Deputy Head of the movement headed by radical preacher Raed Salah, said that this is "a great danger," and that political and technical preparations have already been readied. Now, he claims - all that is need is "a halakhic [Jewish legal] decree" in order to go ahead with implementation of the plan.
This is the last step before Jews declare that work has begun on building the Third Temple, he claimed. (Read more)
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Go! I am sending you out like lambs among wolves." Luke 10:3)
Kazakh Police Intimidate and Harass Parishioners of Imprisoned Pastor - International Christian Concern
Police in Astana, Kazakhstan have been aggressively intimidating and harassing members of the beleaguered Grace Protestant Church. The church's 67-year-old pastor, Bakhytzhan Kashkumbayev (Pastor B.K.), was detained by Kazakh authorities in May as part of a nationwide crackdown on religious minorities. (Read more)
Pray for the parishioners of Pastor B.K.'s church to keep the faith
Pray that Pastor B.K. will be released and in time to be home with his family for Christmas
Pray that Kazakhstan would stop the persecution of Christians and repent for its anti-Christian propaganda
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Fox News' Highly Reluctant Jesus Follower
just seven years ago, if someone had told me that I'd be writing for Christianity Today magazine about how I came to believe in God, I would have laughed out loud. If there was one thing in which I was completely secure, it was that I would never adhere to any religion-especially to evangelical Christianity, which I held in particular contempt.
I grew up in the Episcopal Church in Alaska, but my belief was superficial and flimsy. It was borrowed from my archaeologist father, who was so brilliant he taught himself to speak and read Russian. When I encountered doubt, I would fall back on the fact that he believed.
Leaning on my father's faith got me through high school. But by college it wasn't enough, especially because as I grew older he began to confide in me his own doubts. What little faith I had couldn't withstand this revelation. From my early 20s on, I would waver between atheism and agnosticism, never coming close to considering that God could be real. . .
. . . when I began dating a man who was into Jesus, I was not looking for God. In fact, the week before I met him, a friend had asked me if I had any deal breakers in dating. My response: "Just nobody who is religious."
A few months into our relationship, my boyfriend called to say he had something important to talk to me about. I remember exactly where I was sitting in my West Village apartment when he said, "Do you believe Jesus is your Savior?" My stomach sank. I started to panic. Oh no, was my first thought. He's crazy.
When I answered no, he asked, "Do you think you could ever believe it?" He explained that he was at a point in life when he wanted to get married and felt that I could be that person, but he couldn't marry a non-Christian. I said I didn't want to mislead him-that I would never believe in Jesus.
Then he said the magic words for a liberal: "Do you think you could keep an open mind about it?" Well, of course. "I'm very open-minded!" Even though I wasn't at all. I derided Christians as anti-intellectual bigots who were too weak to face the reality that there is no rhyme or reason to the world. I had found this man's church attendance an oddity to overlook, not a point in his favor.
As he talked, I grew conflicted. On the one hand, I was creeped out. On the other hand, I had enormous respect for him. He is smart, educated, and intellectually curious. I remember thinking, What if this is true, and I'm not even willing to consider it?
Then one night in 2006, on a trip to Taiwan, I woke up in what felt like a strange cross between a dream and reality. Jesus came to me and said, "Here I am." It felt so real. I didn't know what to make of it. I called my boyfriend, but before I had time to tell him about it, he told me he had been praying the night before and felt we were supposed to break up. So we did. Honestly, while I was upset, I was more traumatized by Jesus visiting me. (Christianity Today) Read more.
Worship With Us Today!
"Mighty Man of War"
"He's arising, arising in our midst as a Mighty Man of War."
Adonai Tsvaot, Lord of Heaven's armies, we worship You.
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are! Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!