PrayerSurgeNow hosts a daily conference call
this week for Israel. See below.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
Praying the Word of God . . .
in the Will of God . . .
over the Issues of the Day
Monday, November 25, 2013
"In every thing give thanks . . ." (I Thessalonians 5:18)
Our Weekly Bible Studies:
> > > To read the "One Year Bible" weekly letter, go here.
> > > To read the Shabbat Torah readings, go here.
Submitted by Susan L. Turner
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at email@example.com, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Nuclear deal with Iran a 'historic mistake', Benjamin Netanyahu says
- UK Telegraph
Israel's political establishment arose in unison on Sunday to denounce as inadequate an interim agreement hammered out with Iran to rein in its nuclear programme. Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, led the chorus of indignation, calling the deal struck in Geneva between Iran and the so-called P5 plus one - the US, Britain, France, Russia, China and Germany - "a historic mistake".
"What was achieved last night in Geneva is not a historic agreement; it is a historic mistake," he told Sunday's weekly cabinet meeting "Today the world has become a much more dangerous place because the most dangerous regime in the world has taken a significant step toward attaining the most dangerous weapon in the world.
Condemning the six powers for "ignoring the UN Security Council decisions that they themselves led", he added: "This agreement and what it means endanger many countries including, of course, Israel. Israel is not bound by this agreement. (Read more)
- Lord God, today we stand in repentance for the actions of the Obama administration in hammering out this deal which can only place our ally, Israel, in danger. Iran has already stated in days past that they do not intend to stop development of nuclear power, period. That statement should have been a stopping point for any negotiations, but the world has not taken heed. The mistakes that were being made prior to World War II are being made again, and the nations are blindly going forward on their merry way . . . to oblivion.
We take the blood bought cross of Christ and put it through all hidden and negotiated agreements in these meetings, shattering what has been plotted, In Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "For the Lord will not forsake His people, for His great name's sake, because it has pleased the Lord to make you His people." (1 Samuel 12: 22)
2. Kerry Misleads in Saying There's No Comparison Between Iran and N. Korea Nuke Deals - CNSNews.com
Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday rejected comparisons between the nuclear deal struck with Iran and one negotiated in the past with North Korea, but of the four points he cited in doing so, at least three were questionable.
Several congressional critics of the deal reached in Geneva have raised concerns about parallels with North Korea, which acquired a nuclear weapons capability despite U.S.-led efforts to prevent that from happening. (Read more)
- This administration knows how to do only one thing and that is to lie about any agenda it is promoting. Ask our Lord to grant His wisdom to the American people - that we might see beyond these lies to the truth: America is not a friend of Israel and our leaders must be held accountable for their actions. Amen.
- "And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." (Matthew 21:22)
3. Sen. Corker on Nuke Deal: Iran is 'Spiking the Football in the End Zone' - CNSNews.com
Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.), ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said on "Fox News Sunday" said that Iran got the better of the United States and its allies in a weekend deal that lifts economic sanctions and unfreezes $8 billion in Iranian assets while allowing Iran to enrich uranium.
"If you see the reaction of Iran right now - I mean, they're spiking the football in the end zone saying that, look, we've consolidated our gains, we've relieved sanctions, we're going to have the right to enrich," Corker said.
"We've seen what's happened in North Korea," Corker went on. "They now have nuclear weapons, and I don't want to see that happen in Iran." (Read more)
- Offer praise for a clear voice of truth coming out of the United States Senate with this senator's remarks. Even though the Senate has now entered a two week period of Thanksgiving recess (and a District Work Period), offer a prayer that the Senate and the House will NOT be silent on this matter! Before leaving town, each chamber made it clear by majority vote that the United States was to INCREASE the sanctions against Iran . . . not to give them a break. May there be an outcry of rage in the wake of the president's announcement; he has totally defied the will of the American people in signing this document.
- "The LORD hears those who cry out, and he delivers them from all their distress." (Psalm 34:17)
4. Saudi prince to Iran: We won't sit idly by - Times of Israel
In an acerbic interview shortly before the Geneva interim deal was signed, a senior Saudi diplomat issued a rare direct threat to Iran, warning that "all options are available" should the international community fail to rein in Iran's alleged drive to acquire nuclear weapons. (Read more)
- Praise the Lord that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is not asleep to the dangers of its neighbor, Iran . . . and that this kingdom has the resources available to clearly hold Iran in check, as needed. Pray for wisdom for King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia and his advisors, and may the Americans take note of their actions.
- [For the rest of the world] For when they say, "Peace and safety!" then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. (I Thessalonians 5:3)
5. Filibuster Fallout: Reid maneuver could send 'wrecking ball' through talks on key legislation - Fox News
Democrats who claimed victory -- including President Obama -- in stripping the Senate minority of its power to block nominations may have done so at the sacrifice of the president's legislative agenda. Before Thursday, trust on Capitol Hill was frayed yet there was tentative hope following the bruising fight over the partial shutdown that Republicans and Democrats could find some spectrum of common ground for the rest of Obama's term. Maybe pass a few budgets, maybe do something lasting about that pesky deficit. But the move to use a rare parliamentary tactic and overhaul Senate procedure making it easier for the majority party to approve presidential nominees has poisoned an already tainted well. Any prospect for compromise on items ranging from immigration legislation to a fiscal deal to tax reform is now that much fainter. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, Senator Reid thought he was winning in the push to approve the President's nominees for various courts and positions. However the long term backlash may cause more damage than he thinks he achieved. We ask You Father, to arise and confront Senator Reid and his followers with the full realization of the destructiveness this action will incur, putting the fear of You into each and every one of them. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "A quick-tempered man acts foolishly, and a man of wicked intentions is hated." (Proverbs 14:17 )
6. Obamacare's 2015 enrollment pushed to after the 2014 elections - Daily Caller
From Bloomberg: "The second-year start of Obamacare enrollment will be pushed back by one month to give health insurers more time to prepare new plans and rates, an official with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said." "That enrollment period, previously scheduled to begin Oct. 15, 2014, will now start Nov. 15, said the official who asked not to be identified because the decision isn't public. The change is important to insurers that need more time to evaluate the first year of the government-run marketplaces, set up last month as part of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
" I'm not an insurance expert, but the cynic in me thinks moving the enrollment date from October 15, 2014 to November 15, 2014 seems a bit cute. I mean, doesn't the timing seem interesting? The government's expert says this "gives the state and federal governments more time to sort out technical issues with the exchanges." But I have to wonder: Did they move the 2015 open enrollment to hide the premium hikes until after the election? (Read more)
- Lord, may all be exposed so those who normally pay little attention to political news, will rise up and realize the deceptions being acted out and reflect how it is damaging the lives of citizens in this nation. We ask You to confront them Lord so that they will respond, helping these deceptions to be shut down and put aside. We ask in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "Whoever rewards evil for good, evil will not depart from his house."
7. Investors wary of U.S. stock surge, even as money piles in - Reuters
NEW YORK - Many prominent managers at the Reuters 2014 Global Investment Outlook Summit believe the record-setting run-up in U.S. stocks is due for a reckoning but acknowledge that ample liquidity could push equities higher regardless of fears.
The S&P 500 has jumped around 26 percent this year, with major indexes notching record high after record high. Investors pointed to potential drags on the market next year, be it a pullback in stimulus by the Federal Reserve to weak earnings, that have made this market look expensive from a valuation basis.
"I'm very cautious on equities today," said billionaire Carl Icahn, among the world's most influential investors. "This market could easily have a big drop," he added. (Read more)
- Lord, this article is a stark warning to those who put their priorities in the stock market instead of You, Lord. If seasoned investors are leery of what is going on, then Your remnant needs to awaken and be aware of how they use the resources You have given to them. We ask in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "Better is a little with the fear of the Lord, than great treasure with trouble." (Proverbs 15:16)
8. N.S.A. Report Outlined Goals for More Power - New York Times
Officials at the National Security Agency, intent on maintaining its dominance in intelligence collection, pledged last year to push to expand its surveillance powers, according to a top-secret strategy document. In a February 2012 paper laying out the four-year strategy for the N.S.A.'s signals intelligence operations, which include the agency's eavesdropping and communications data collection around the world, agency officials set an objective to "aggressively pursue legal authorities and a policy framework mapped more fully to the information age." Prompted by a public outcry over the N.S.A.'s domestic operations, the agency's critics in Congress have been pushing to limit, rather than expand, its ability to routinely collect the phone and email records of millions of Americans, while foreign leaders have protested reports of virtually unlimited N.S.A. surveillance overseas, even in allied nations. (Read more)
- This agency has been collecting excessive data on every one it can. Now this article states that they want to gather even more information on every citizen in America. This collection is not targeted upon those who are suspects of acting illegally but is on every citizen possible. We ask You Father to arise and extend Your right arm to bring these systems crashing down! Let only what should be gathered, not what can be gathered, be done. In Jesus' Name we ask, Amen and Amen.
- "Give us help from trouble, for the help of man is useless!" (Psalm 108:12)
9. Dangerous storm Threatens Thanksgiving Travel - Business Insider
A dangerous storm that brought snow and drenching rains to the southwestern United States blamed for several road deaths is threatening Thanksgiving travel for millions of people in the eastern states. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, be in the midst of this horrific storm as it moves across the US, and pour Your comfort, peace and strength into those entrapped in this storm. Keep all potential travelers alert to this storm and its dangers. Keep close those people who are Yours and draw in those who do not know You, redeeming their souls if they will come. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "The Lord upholds all who fall, and raises up all who are bowed down."
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"For who is God, except the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God?"
(2 Samuel 22:32)
1. Officals: Israelis in secret trip to inspect Saudi bases - WND
Israeli personnel in recent days were in Saudi Arabia to inspect bases that could be used as a staging ground to launch attacks against Iran, according to informed Egyptian intelligence officials.
2. Obama briefs Netanyahu on Iran deal, says US committed to Israel's security - Times of Israel
US President Barack Obama called Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Sunday evening, in a pre-scheduled conversation, and told him that the US will remain committed to Israel and its safety. The call came nearly 24 hours after Iran and world powers signed a first-step agreement in Geneva to largely freeze Iran's nuclear program in exchange for partial sanctions relief.
3. Netanyahu calls Iranian deal 'historic mistake' - Ynet News
At the beginning of the government's weekly meeting, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu slammed the interim agreement reached Sunday between world powers and Iran in Geneva.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty . . . (I Corinthians 1:27)
Christians in Malaysia Vow to Continue Worship Despite Threat of Prosecution - CSW
Christian leaders in Sabah and Sarawak have vowed to carry on using the word 'Allah' for God even if they are prosecuted under the Malaysian laws as a result. The Association of Churches in Sarawak (ACS) chairman Archbishop Datuk Bolly Lapok said the Bumiputra Church would continue to use 'Allah'as it is fundamental to all aspects of their profession and practice of the Christian faith.
"Any attempt to forbid the use of the word 'Allah' by non-Muslims would be most regrettable and wholly unacceptable as it is a flagrant disregard and betrayal of the Malaysia Agreements that guarantee the inalienable rights of non-Muslims in Sarawak and Sabah to complete religious freedom," said the archbishop.
Bolly, who is also Archbishop of the Anglican Province of South East Asia, Council of Churches Malaysia Acting President and Christian Federation of Malaysia Deputy Chairman, said these rights must be given their rightful place and that religious bigotry, racism and extremism must be contained.
Datuk Rev Dr Thomas Tsen, president of the Sabah Council of Churches, said Christians in the country will continue to pray that the case and issue can be resolved peacefully for the good of the people. He said they wanted to continue to live in harmony and peace as one Malaysia.
In October, the Court of Appeal ruled that the Home Ministry's decision to ban the use of the word in The Herald, a weekly Catholic newspaper for Malaysia, was justified as the use of 'Allah' was not integral to the practice of the Christian faith.
In Sarawak, ACS held a public forum to address the use of the word as it "relates to religious freedom". The forum addressed the legal implications of the Court of Appeal ruling, and on whether the decision only affects The Herald in Peninsular Malaysia.
Catholic Bishop for the Diocese of Sandakan, East Malaysia, Datuk Julius Dusin Gitom, said the church would continue to use the word until they were prosecuted. Bishop Gitom also took government leaders to task for "hiding" the real extent of the ruling by saying that the Court of Appeal ruling was limited to The Herald. "It is not the case and the people know that. It is a blanket ban which affects everyone." He also accused political parties United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) and Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS) of trying to outdo each other in being more 'Islamic', which contributed to the whole problem.
In 2011, the Cabinet decided on a 10-point solution allowing Christians in Sabah and Sarawak to keep using the Al-Kitab (the Malay-language version of the Bible), but it is unclear if that also meant they may do so in West Malaysia.
Since the ruling, churches in East Malaysia have become more vocal in pressing for their right to use the term that they say is entrenched in the 20- and 18-point agreements with the two states. They insist on continuing to refer to God as "Allah" in their worship and Holy Scriptures.
Muslims make up 60 percent of the country's 28 million people. Christians account for about 9 percent, and most of them come from indigenous groups in the Borneo states of Sabah and Sarawak. Malaysia has largely avoided overt religious conflict in recent decades but tensions have been simmering since a court ruling in late 2009 lifted a government ban on the use of "Allah" in Malay-language Bibles. The ban had been in place for years but enforcement only began in 2008 out of fear the word could encourage Muslims to convert. The 2009 ruling triggered a series of attacks on Christian places of worship with Molotov cocktails, rocks and paint.
Dear Father in Heaven, we thank you and praise you for your faithful servants in Malaysia. They have been discriminated against and persecuted in your name, and we pray that they can freely call you in the name they have always used for you, "Allah". Please protect them and their families as they step out courageously to declare you as their Lord and Saviour, and help all Malaysians they encounter see you shining out through them. Please touch the hearts of every citizen of this land, and in particular the religious and government leaders, to take the scales from their eyes and hearts so they can see you clearly for who you are, their Father, their Abba, their Allah. Let them see that you are the one true God, regardless of the name they give you and call you with, Lord, and that you are always there to hear their petitions, pleas and prayers when they turn to you with contrite, humble and sincere hearts. So may your name in every and all languages be lifted up in that land and carried on the wings of the Holy Spirit from one end to the other, and may your name be glorified! In the precious name of your Son, Jesus Christ, we pray. Amen.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Text of the Iran Agreement
Text of the Iran Agreement
To read this agreement, go here.
Geneva: "An Historic Mistake"
Excerpts from PM Netanyahu's Remarks at the Start of the Weekly Cabinet Meeting
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu - PMO, November 24th, 2013
Following is an excerpt from Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's remarks at the start of the weekly Cabinet meeting:
"What was achieved last night in Geneva is not an historic agreement; it is an historic mistake. Today the world has become a much more dangerous place because the most dangerous regime in the world has taken a significant step toward attaining the most dangerous weapon in the world. For the first time, the world's leading powers have agreed to uranium enrichment in Iran while ignoring the UN Security Council decisions that they themselves led. Sanctions that required many years to put in place contain the best chance for a peaceful solution. These sanctions have been given up in exchange for cosmetic Iranian concessions that can be cancelled in weeks. This agreement and what it means endanger many countries including, of course, Israel. Israel is not bound by this agreement. The Iranian regime is committed to the destruction of Israel and Israel has the right and the obligation to defend itself, by itself, against any threat. As Prime Minister of Israel, I would like to make it clear: Israel will not allow Iran to develop a military nuclear capability."
(Source: Unity Coalition for Israel)
1. Obama's Iran Deal:Worse than Munich - Conservative Byte (Go here)
2. Gen. Hayden: Iran Deal 'Worst of All Possible Outcomes' - Newsmax (Go here)
3. A vastly changed Middle East - The Jerusalem Post (Go here)
4. Former US Embassy Hostages: Don't Relax Iran Sanctions, Demand Apology - Newsmax (Go here)
5. Iran Is Playing Obama, Says Savvy Saudi Prince - Bloomberg (Go here)
Daily Conference Call for Israel
Daily Conference Call for Israel:
Hosted by Dai Sup Han and PrayerSurgeNow
Urgent National Conf Call Prayer for Israel
Every Morning this Week, November 25-30
Mon-Fri, 9:30-10:30AM EST & Sat, 8-9AM EST
Connect using 712-432-0075 & code 6149782#
Dear Brothers & Sisters: Prayer Surge NOW! conf call line will be available each day this week, Mon - Fri, 9:30-10:30AM & Sat, 8-9AM Eastern, for special intercession for Israel as US brokered "nuclear deal" with Iran may serve to increase clear and present danger. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has denounced the agreement made by P5 + 1 (US, UK, Russia, France, China, Germany) and Iran.
Following servant leaders will assist in providing prayer points:
- Tuesday, Nov. 26, 9:30-10:30AM EST, Tom Smith & Woody Barnett, Missionary to Israel
- Wednesday, Nov. 27, 9:30-10:30AM EST, Iranian Pastor Hormoz Shariat & Dai Sup Han
- Thanksgiving/Hanukkah, Thursday, Nov. 28, 9:30-10:30AM EST, Lt. Col. (Ret.) Al McCarn US Army - Friday, Nov. 29, 9:30-10:30AM EST, John Moore, Author of 10 Days Israel Prayer Guide
- Saturday, Nov. 30, 8:00-9:00AM EST, Tom Smith & Al McCarn
In preparation, please consider the article below rom The Tower. Thank you.
Analysts: Iran Deal "Beginning of End" of Sanctions Regime, U.S. Caved on Enrichment "Right"
Analysts, diplomats, and journalists spent overnight Saturday and into Sunday outlining both the meaning and the implications of an interim agreement secured last night between the P5+1 global powers and Iran. Controversy erupted not just over the substance of the deal - whether it met the benchmark previously set by President Obama to prevent Iran from "advancing their program" - but even over what the deal explicitly did and did not promise.
Western concessions - according to Mark Dubowitz, executive director of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies - will inject Iran with financial relief ultimately worth roughly $20 billion.
In exchange - per a quick New York Times assessment - Iran agreed to concessions that not only fall short of "roll[ing] back the vast majority of the advances Iran has made in the past five years," but that shorten its breakout time by "only a month to a few months." The interim deal allows Iran to continue enriching uranium to 5% purity and to keep building new centrifuges to repair worn ones. Iran will have to convert its 20% enriched stock either to fuel or to diluted 5% stock, but those processes can be easily reversed within weeks. The only way to put that material beyond use is to actually irradiate the stock, but Iran doesn't have the capacity to do that. In any case experts from the University of Virginia and the U. S.-based Institute for Science and International Security (ISIS) recently warned [PDF]) that Iran can sneak across the nuclear finish line using only its stockpile of 3.5% enriched uranium. Inasmuch as Iran is not being forced to dismantle its centrifuges, there are fears it will either cheat or just wait six months and use them when the interim period expires.
More controversially, Iran seems to have secured language under which the international community acknowledges that a comprehensive agreement will still allow Tehran to enrich uranium. The U.S. has long rejected Iran's claim that it has a "right" to enrich, and last October lead U.S. negotiator Wendy Sherman told Congress that "the President has circumscribed what he means by the Iranian people having access -- access, not right, but access to peaceful nuclear energy in the context of meeting its obligations." The interim language, however, describes a future comprehensive solution as involving "a mutually defined enrichment program with practical limits and transparency measures to ensure the peaceful nature of the program." Iranian state media carried boasts by among others Iranian President Hassan Rouhani and Foreign Minister Javad Zarif that the U.S. had caved on its long-standing position. The U.S. and Britain both flatly denied Iran's interpretation of the interim language with Secretary of State John Kerry saying as much and the White House further denying it on a late-night background call.
(Read more here.)
For more commentaries on this news . . .
1. Go here for a report from CBN.
2. Go here for a report from the Jerusalem Post
3. Go here for a report from Reuters.
Pastor Saeed Has Been Left Behind
Pastor Saeed Has Been Left Behind
Pastor Saeed has been betrayed.
The Obama Administration left him behind.
On Saturday night, the Administration reached a "deal" with Iran that did not require Iran to release Pastor Saeed. In fact, the Obama Administration didn't even mention Pastor Saeed in its negotiations.
The "deal" doesn't require Iran to abandon its nuclear program.
Iran can still enrich uranium, it still holds Pastor Saeed, and it still threatens our allies, including Israel.
The Administration is promising to ease sanctions and provide "humanitarian relief" to Iran. But what about granting Pastor Saeed "humanitarian relief" and releasing him to his family?
We cannot ease sanctions until Iran abandons its nuclear ambitions and frees Pastor Saeed. Nothing less is acceptable.
We're working with Members of Congress to send the Obama Administration a clear statement: Leave no American behind. Sign our new petition:
Stand Firm Against a Nuclear Iran; Stand Firm for Pastor Saeed.
ACLJ Chief Counsel
Prayer Request from CHPP:
Please remember Pastor Saeed in your prayers at this time. Only our most High God will be able to sustain him during this time of trial and, we know that if we ask Abba to do so, He will provide unusual grace and peace for this dear brother in Christ. Thank you.
"We are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed- always carrying about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body." (2 Corinthians 4: 8-11)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
39 Native American tribes in the land of Oklahoma stand with Israel
This picture portrays Jay Swallow signing a statement indicating that the Gatekeepers in the land of Oklahoma are standing with Israel. This represents 39 tribes currently living in OK. This is very powerful!
ABOUT DR. JAY SWALLOW:
Dr. Jay Swallow is Cheyenne-Sioux and a U.S. Navy veteran, who has preached, taught, fed, clothed, and prayed for native people from the Arctic Circle to Central America for over fifty years. He is an apostolic father to many Christians of all colors and backgrounds, and in recent years he has traveled to other continents to minister to indigenous and non-indigenous people, with the intent of healing their lands and nations through the redemptive power of Jesus Christ.
He has been an instrumental advisor to 253 Native American Tribes. As a direct descendant of two notable Cheyenne Nation Chiefs, Chief Black Kettle (Peace Chief) and Chief Little Bear (Military Chief), he is regarded as one of the leading influential men of the Cheyenne Nation.
. . . [In recent years] Dr. Swallow played an active role in the development of a joint resolution of apology to Native peoples for ill-conceived policies by the U.S. government regarding Indian Tribes; frequently traveling to Washington D.C. to work with Senator Sam Brownback (Ret.) now Governor of Kansas. In light of his tireless work with the resolution, Charisma Magazine named Dr. Swallow one of the Ten Most Influential Christian Leaders of 2006.
To learn more about the ministry of Dr. Jay Swallow, please go here.
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us in Chanukah Songs
Oh Chanukah, Oh Chanukah, come light the Menorah
Let's have a party, we'll all dance the hora
Gather round the table, we'll all have a treat
Sivivon to play with, and latkes to eat.
And while we are playing
The candles are burning bright
One for each night, they shed a sweet light
To remind us of days long ago.
One for each night, they shed a sweet light
To remind us of days long ago.