Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, November 13, 2012
"See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn." (Isaiah 60:2,3)
The Daily Brief
1. Fed Cuts GDP View, Raises Inflation Outlook - Fox News
The Federal Reserve on Wednesday cut its view of 2011 gross domestic product growth to a range of 2.7% to 2.9% from the 3.1% to 3.3% offered in April. The outlook for 2012 was also lowered, and the Fed's estimate for inflation was raised. (Read more.)
- Lord, we pray for more spirit of repentance so we may prosper. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- He who covers his sins will not prosper, but whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy. (Proverbs 28:13)
2. Texas Petition to Secede Reaches Threshold for Obama Comment
- ABC News
A petition for Texas to secede from the union, submitted to the White House, reached the number of signatures needed to draw comment from the Obama administration today. A petition must reach 25,000 signatures within 30 days for the administration to comment on it.
So far, the president has not commented on the petition and there is no guarantee that he will. The terms of participation give the president some loopholes. "To avoid the appearance of improper influence, the White House may decline to address certain procurement, law enforcement, adjudicatory, or similar matters properly within the jurisdiction of federal departments or agencies, federal courts, or state and local government in its response to a petition," the site says. (Read more)
- Lord, we pray about the residents in Texas and this petition to secede. We ask for Your intervention in this situation. We also pray for Governor Rick Perry of Texas if he is to have any leadership in this situation. Lord, Texas in so many ways has been honoring to You. We intercede on behalf of the citizens of Texas and pray for continued mercy and direction upon the people of that state. We pray that President Obama will be touched in his heart and see the discontent of the people. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "What!" Could you not watch with Me one hour? Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak." (Matthew 26: 40-41)
3. Residents In More Than A Dozen States Petition White House To Secede From United States - Huffington Post
Residents in more than a dozen states across the country have filed secession petitions to the Obama administration's "We the People" program, which is featured on the White House website. The efforts come in the wake of Barack Obama securing a second term in the White House over Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney. From New York to South Carolina, the states where residents have filed secession petitions spans a wide range. (Read more.)
- Lord, we pray for each of our states and the residents in them in these United States of America. Many have prayed for these states to be United under You and we still pray for "One nation under God". Lord, we pray first of all and focus on our own state that the people would become united under You. We know many are distressed with the results of the election. We pray for them that they would know there is a hope and future in You and to trust in that. The government is on Your shoulders. Let Your kingdom come and Your will be done. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- Others, testing Him, sought from Him a sign from heaven. But He knowing their thoughts, said to them: "Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation, and a house divided against a house falls." (Luke 11: 16-17)
4. Record 70.4 Million Enrolled in Medicaid in 2011: 1 Out of Every 5 Americans - CNS News
A record 70.4 million people were enrolled in the Medicaid health care program for the poor in fiscal year 2011, according to government figures provided to CNSNews.com.
- Lord, we pray people will come to You for their healing instead of relying on the government. May they come to know and bless You. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- Bless the Lord, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, Who satisfies your mouth with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. (Psalm 103: 1-5)
5. Clinton to Step Down Probably 'Days' After Inauguration - Weekly Standard
Hillary Clinton still intends to step down as secretary of state. That will take place likely "days" after President Barack Obama's second inauguration in January.
- Lord, we pray for Your intervention on the selection of a new Secretary of State. We pray that it would be someone led by the Holy Spirit, someone with godly wisdom and eyes to see the right things to do, someone who will not be a blind leader. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- But He answered and said, "Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted. Let them alone. They are blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind leads the blind, both will fall into a ditch." (Matthew 15:13-14)
6. Top US Commander in Afghanistan Under Investigation - Fox News
The Pentagon says that the top American commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John Allen, is under investigation for alleged "inappropriate communications" with woman linked to Petraeus scandal.
- Truly, the yarn about this investigation continues to unravel. Pray for the absolute protection of any and all who might have been near these events, and pray for truth to emerge -- no matter who is responsible. Pray!
- "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
7. Palestinians rebuff Obama, will proceed with UN bid - AP
RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) - A spokesman for the Palestinian president says the Palestinians will proceed with asking the U.N. General Assembly to recognize a Palestinian state, despite a personal call from President Barack Obama to abandon the bid.
Nabil Abu Rdeneh said President Mahmoud Abbas had a long phone conversation with Obama on Sunday evening. He said Obama "expresses his opposition to this step," but Abbas replied he would carry on.
In Washington, the White House press office said that Obama "reiterated the United States' opposition to unilateral efforts at the United Nations." Obama also "reaffirmed his commitment to Middle East peace and his strong support for direct negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians" for a peace accord, the White House said.
Israel and the U.S. say a Palestinian state can be established only through negotiations. (Read more)
- Father God, we offer a quiet word of praise today that this administration will not support the vote for Palestinian statehood at the United Nations. We ask that our word be true, and that we not deviate from this position. In Your Name, we pray, amen.
- "Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." (Matthew 5:37)
8. U.S. hopes to hold on to human rights seat - ABC News
The U.S. is facing off today against four other Western countries for three seats on the United Nations Human Rights Council. In some informal polls, it is running last, according to Hillel Neuer of UN Watch. Human rights advocates have criticized the uncontested slates from other regions, which include such countries as Venezuela, Pakistan, Kazakhstan and Ethiopia.
- Lord, we lift up a prayer that this seat on the U.N. Human Rights Commission, now held by our nation, would not be taken by another country. Father, we need our voice to be heard in the United Nations. We ask that, in that forum, the U.S. would remain as a voice that also stands with Israel . . . and we offer praise that, so far, the U.S. has refused to endorse the latest efforts to push for Palestinian statehood in that organization. Help us, O Lord, we pray. In Your Name, amen.
- "Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God tries the hearts and reins." (Psalm 7:9)
9. Prime minister meets with foreign diplomats, prepares ground for possible Gaza operation - Times of Israel; Worthy News
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was scheduled to meet with foreign diplomats on Monday to update them on the Gaza situation and prepare world opinion for a possible extensive military operation in the Strip.
- This report assures us that something major is about to break loose in Israel. The bombing and the shelling from Gaza terrorists, and others, have gone on far too long. Enough is enough!
Lift up a prayer for the protection and skill of Israel's military, and for continued wisdom for Prime Minister Netanyahu, as they prepare to respond to these enemy attacks. Finally, pray for protection of all Israeli citizens. May the Host of Heaven engage in this battle with them!
- "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle." (Psalm 144:1)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Hallelujah: for the Lord God omnipotent reigns." (Revelation 19:6)
1. Only 'the nuclear option' can work against Iran, former IDF chief says - Times of Israel
Israeli leaders have concluded that conventional air strikes would be insufficient in curbing Iran's nuclear program, leaving only a deployment of either tactical nuclear weapons or ground forces, according to a report in the British Sunday Times.
2. Gaza groups pound Israel with over 100 rockets - Jerusalem Post
Israel will not hesitate to launch a major IDF operation against Gaza-based terrorist factions if necessary, Defense Minister Ehud Barak warned on Sunday -- after some 100 rockets hit southern Israel in 24 hours.
3. Palestinian rocket fire wounds 3 in Sderot - Jerusalem Post
Palestinian terrorists in Gaza pounded southern Israel with some 80 rockets on Sunday, injuring three people in Sderot.
4. IDF fires warning shot into Syria after shell hits Golan - Jerusalem Post
The IDF fired a warning shot at the Syrian military on Sunday, after a Syrian shell landed in the Golan Heights for the second time in recent days.
The Daily Jot
Behind and beyond the Petraeus diversion
The Occupant of the Oval Office and his Administration lied to the American people about the events of Benghazi, Libya. For over two weeks, the president himself repeatedly held to the account that the attack that killed a US Ambassador and three others was the result of a protest over an anti-Islam movie. The president and his minions, however, had information that it was a terrorist attack within 121 minutes of the incident. Now, a week before he was to testify before Congress, CIA Director David Petraeus is forced to resign because of an affair. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Attorney General Eric Holder have hinted that they may resign. These are possibly signs of far deeper threats to the presidency.
The Petraeus affair appears to be conveniently announced to prevent him from having to testify to Congress about Benghazi. News of the affair was released near Veterans Day, a slap at our military. One account by the FBI of the affair said that Petraeus had sent his mistress "thousands" of emails in a year's span. If that is the case, Petraeus must have been a very busy man writing multiple emails every day to this woman. What else could he get done? Now the news media is saying that information important to national security could have been leaked through this illicit relationship, including information about the security in Benghazi. But the FBI says its just a lot of "human drama." What gives?
Buried is the real story--Benghazi. That is exactly how the Administration wants it. Petraeus appears to be set up as the fall guy for Benghazi. The Administration does not want the details of that event to reach the public. It will likely implicate Hillary Clinton, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, and the president. The more attention the White House can put on the Petraeus affair, the less attention is centered on the real threat to national interests--what this president is doing in secret to further his foreign policy goals. The more the White House can control the propaganda around Petraeus, the more the public is diverted from the demented events of Benghazi and why the president stood by while Americans were murdered.
With all the intrigue surrounding this, anybody remotely involved should be subpoenaed to testify. Questions need to be answered. Why did the president lie for weeks about the nature of the Benghazi attack? Was the Benghazi "Consulate" a front for the CIA smuggling weapons through al Qaeda and the Muslim Brotherhood to Syria? Did the president order a "stand down" because of some agreement with al Qaeda to revenge the death of one of their operatives in Pakistan? Is the US arming al Qaeda in Syria while the same group is killing our soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq? Answers should be demanded and investigations exhausted.
As the LORD told Israel in Hosea 4:1-2: "For the LORD has a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of YHVH in the land. By swearing, and lying, and killing, and stealing, and committing adultery, they break out, and blood touches blood." Benghazi has all the ingredients; Petraeus is the second attempt to cover the truth. More to come.
Have A Blessed And Powerful Day,
Honoring a Bishop in Wisconsin
Wisconsin Bishop Walks by Faith, Not by Slight
For most churchgoers, losing the election was tough. But for a Catholic Bishop in Wisconsin, losing the Diocese's tax-exemption would be tougher. Unfortunately, that's what a liberal group is threatening after Bishop David Ricken's blunt letter to congregations about candidates who hold unbiblical views on life and marriage. In a mailing to the Green Bay Catholic community, Ricken outlines a series of "non-negotiable" beliefs that are "intrinsically evil," including the support of abortion, euthanasia, embryonic stem cell research, human cloning, and homosexual "marriage." "To vote for someone in favor of these positions," he writes, "means that you could be morally 'complicit' with these choices . . . " He goes on to talk about the protection of religious liberty, and how these freedoms have been jeopardized under the current administration.
Although Bishop Ricken never mentions either candidate by name, the Freedom From Religion Foundation (FFRF) is accusing his Diocese of "electioneering" and has asked the IRS to investigate. "Though he does not explicitly state, 'Vote for Romney'. . . it is clear to the reader that Ricken is urging the members of his diocese to vote against President Obama and other Democratic candidates," FFRF writes.
On the contrary, what's clear is that the Democratic Party has adopted a platform in complete contradiction with Scripture. And as the leader of his church, it's Bishop Ricken's duty to remind his congregation that actions have moral consequences--and that includes voting! Unfortunately, too many pastors have been intimidated into silence on these issues by a misunderstanding of U.S. law. Liberals have tried to bully churches with their misapplication of the Establishment Clause in hopes of confining faith to the four walls of the church, where it can't threaten the Left's agenda. Bishop Ricken said himself that this attitude is an indication "of broader societal disposition to remove God from the public square and from any relation to society whatsoever."
But as Alliance Defending Freedom explains, it's not only Bishop Ricken's responsibility to preach the truth--it's his right. Under the First Amendment, Americans have the freedom, not just to go to church, but to take the faith they learn there and apply it to their lives. Intolerance like this makes it clear that the hostility against the church is building. But that's precisely why we need more bold leaders like Bishop Ricken--not fewer.
For all of the stories like Bishop Ricken's, we still have much to be grateful for in comparison with other nations. Seventy-five percent of the world's people live in countries that "perpetuate or tolerate religious freedom abuses." Many of the victims are Christians, whose faith makes them targets for suffering, imprisonment, or even death. To help bring those tragedies to life, FRC is partnering with Voice of the Martyrs this Wednesday at noon (ET) to host a live webcast, "The Cry of the Martyrs: The Threat to Religious Liberty around the World." **Join us in bringing greater awareness to the persecution of our brothers and sisters in Christ--and find out what you can do to help. If you can't tune in live, please watch and share the archive.
> > > **To register for this event, go here. (Family Research Council)
About That "Fiscal Cliff"
CBO's 'Cliff' Notes Tell Story of Economy
From the Family Research Council
Joe Biden's cameo on a sitcom may be for laughs, but unfortunately for America, the latest report from the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) is not. As if Tuesday's results weren't sobering enough, the bipartisan fiscal group says our nation has more to worry about than next January's inauguration. According to CBO experts, America could tumble off the "fiscal cliff" before the parade route is even planned. Unless Congress strikes a deal fast enough to put the brakes on the mix of tax hikes and spending cuts set for New Year's Day, economists predict another recession for 2013. If leaders can't find a solution, it could drive unemployment from 7.9% to 9.1% by this time next year. A trip over the fiscal cliff would also mean another .5% dent in the economy, CBO warns.
Of course, all of this is complicated by the fact that the two sides aren't exactly on the same page when it comes to solutions. President Obama built his entire campaign around hiking taxes on families and small businesses who earn more than $250,000. And as far as Republicans are concerned, that's a non-starter. In an interview with Diane Sawyer yesterday, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) shot down the Left's position before negotiations even begin. "Raising tax rates is unacceptable," the Speaker said. "Frankly, it couldn't even pass the House. I'm not sure it could pass the Senate."
His counterpart, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), echoed his party's position. "One issue I've never been conflicted about is taxes. I wasn't sent to Washington to raise anybody's taxes to pay for more wasteful spending and this election doesn't change my principles. This election was a disappointment, without a doubt, but let's be clear about something: the House is still run by Republicans... I know some people out there think Tuesday's results mean Republicans in Washington are now going to roll over and agree to Democrat demands that we hike tax rates before the end of the year. I'm here to tell them there is no truth to that notion whatsoever."
Hurricane Sandy: How You Can Help
Hurricane Sandy: How You Can Help
[ Editor's note: There are many ways we can help the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Below please find one suggestion, from Cindy Jacobs, President, Generals of Intercession. Thank you for doing whatever you can to help those in need in New York and New Jersey.]
Most of us have watched and grieved over the heartache and damage that occurred during Hurricane Sandy. This tragedy is an ongoing one as people try to rebuild their lives. Of course, the place they should be able to turn is the church. With this in mind, I am forwarding a letter from Lani Illick who was our accountant for many years. Her family is from that region and she has gone back to help them and many others. The church she is working with is given in the letter. Would you please pray and ask God if you should help in any way?
Many blessings and thanks in advance,
Dear Mike & Cindy,
Hurricane Sandy victims are in need of our help in southern New Jersey. Many of the people in the towns of Seaside Heights and Toms River who lost their homes are being relocated to Wildwood, NJ. Wildwood residences sustained damage but not as severe as those located 30 minutes north.
Through the efforts of the local firehouse, Red Cross and volunteers, clean up is in full swing and 2 meals a day are being served. FEMA also has established a local office. But, there is a GREAT need for money donations to provide children and individuals with clothing, toiletries, cleaning supplies, and microwavable meals. Many lost everything they had. Walmart gift cards are also very helpful!
The Lighthouse Church and it's members are very active in providing daily, hands on support for area hurricane victims coupled with demonstrating the love of Christ. We want to raise $15,000. Would you give your best to show God's love?
Donations can be sent to:
The Lighthouse Church of Cape May County
1248 Route 9 South
Cape May Court House, NJ 08210
In the memo of your check write: HURRICANE SANDY RELIEF!
RED ALERT from Dutch Sheets
Watchman Alert: Call to Prayer by Dutch Sheets
I'm writing to make you aware of several warnings I've received recently concerning terrorist attacks against America, and to ask you to join me in praying for protection from these attacks. Within the last few months I have had several credible dreams presented to me about this, five of which have been within the last week. While warnings such as these are subjective in nature, and dreams always need careful discernment and interpretation, I feel that the dramatic and sudden increase of these warnings merits this call to prayer.
I don't feel it is necessary to give details from the dreams-suffice it to say that the attacks seen were worse than 9/11. For some time many of us have felt that more terrorism was possible for America. One need not be particularly prophetic to know this is planned by our enemies-indeed, our government warns us of this and encourages regular vigilance, and plots have on occasion been discovered and thwarted. But many intercessors and prophets have felt that something on a bigger scale is being planned and stands the chance of succeeding. This is what the recent dreams warn of, and the sense is that it could be imminent.
I'm asking you to join me-for the next few days especially, but also over the next few weeks-in interceding for God's protection over our nation.
Yes, we as a nation have sinned against the Lord in many ways, and perhaps if we receive what we deserve it would be further judgment. But that is to be determined by the Lord and it is always appropriate to ask Him for His mercy.
- Pray that plots be exposed and the individuals involved be discovered and captured.
- Pray for the success of our law enforcement and protection agencies.
- Pray for sound leads to come to them and for the necessary wisdom to "connect the dots."
- Ask God to forgive and cleanse us of our wicked ways, and continue to pray that America receives a third great awakening.
Let's all do our part to ward off any and every attempt to bring violence and destruction to our land. Please help spread the word by forwarding this message about these warnings and the call to prayer.
Thank you for joining me in this watchman alert.
The Meaning of SHALOM
The Meaning of SHALOM
Even as we all remain now on high alert for the nation of Israel and for our own country, our ultimate victory is to walk in the absolute PEACE OF GOD, for this confounds our enemy and causes him to flee!
We want to thank Rabbi Toni Feinman for sharing the following teaching with us today, to understand the depths of the meaning of SHALOM . . . PEACE . . .
in Hebrew. Amen!
Shalom Beloved Sara --
The meaning of Shalom:
A PEACE OFFERING
TO RESTORE DOUBLE
TO BE QUIETED
TO MAKE PERFECT OR SOUND TO MAKE WHOLE
TO MAKE SECURE & SAFE
TO CARRY OUT, TO EXECUTE SOMETHING
TO PAY FOR
TO PERFORM A VOW
And here is an extra blessing!
The meaning of Jerusalem/Yerushalyim
2 roots: shalem & yerusha
shalem = has the same root as shalom (see above)
yerusha = possessed by a husband
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
Veterans Rededicate Mojave Cross
After a contentious 11-year legal battle, the Mojave Desert Veterans Cross is back home.
Liberty Institute, a religious-liberties law firm, hosted a rededication of the cross on Sunday, a few days after the cross was restored on a one-acre stretch of land in the Mojave Desert. The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW), The American Legion and the Mojave Cross' longtime caretakers, Henry and Wanda Sandoz, also participated in the event.
The monument was first erected in the 1930s to honor World War I veterans. In 2001, the Americans Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a lawsuit on behalf of an atheist claiming the "religious symbol" violates the separation of church and state.
In April, U.S. District Court Judge Robert J. Timlin authorized a land-transfer deal allowing the government to give the land to the VFW; ,the ACLU has been trying to block the land transfer, even after Congress approved it in 2003. A federal judge signed a settlement in April ending the ACLU's lawsuit.
"Now the VFW is the proud owner of a one-acre postage stamp in the middle of the Mojave Preserve," said Hiram Sasser, Liberty Institute's director of litigation. Sasser said it's hard to understand why the ACLU represented someone about a cross in the middle of a desert two hours from Las Vegas. "I think it just goes to show you the ACLU is going to hunt down every public display of any kind of cross or religious expression, and they're going to try to eradicate it," he said.
The ACLU lawsuit went all to the way to the U.S. Supreme Court in 2010, before the justices ruled that the cross does not violate the Constitution. The land transfer was then sent back to the lower court for further review.
The cross has a story of its own: At one point during the litigation, a court ordered it to be covered with a box pending the final outcome of the case. After the Supreme Court's 2010 ruling, vandals stole the eight-foot-cross from where it stood on Sunrise Rock. In place of the missing cross, the rededication featured a new seven-foot-tall steel cross.
Sasser spoke during Sunday's rededication ceremony, saying that this Veterans Day marks the conclusion of the fight for the Mojave Veterans Memorial Cross. "On the eleventh hour, of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, the cross rose again like a phoenix under the desert sun as the VFW raised and rededicated the memorial once more," he told the crowd of nearly 200 people. "The veterans, through their own service and sacrifice for a good greater than themselves, earned this moment."
The cross is the only World War I memorial designated by Congress as a national monument. (CitizenLink) Read more.
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
Wedding Of The Lamb