Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, November 9, 2012
"As for Me, this is My covenant with them," says the Lord: "My Spirit which is upon you, and My words which I have put in your mouth shall not depart from your mouth, nor from the mouth of your offspring, nor from the mouth of your offspring's offspring,"
says the Lord, "from now and forever." (Isaiah 59:21)
The Daily Brief
1. PETRAEUS RESIGNS:
CIA Chief Cites Extramarital Affair - Fox News
CIA Director David Petraeus abruptly announced his resignation Friday, admitting to an extramarital affair, which he called 'extremely poor judgment' and 'unacceptable' behavior.
Petraeus met with President Obama on Thursday before submitting his letter of resignation, which the president accepted. In a message to staff, Petraeus said he asked "to be allowed" to step down. Obama, in a written statement, said Petraeus provided an "extraordinary service to the United States for decades."
The move comes amid the unfolding controversy surrounding the attack on the U.S. Consulate in Libya. Scrutiny has fallen on a range of agencies including the CIA, and the director had been set to testify at hearings next week -- he is no longer expected to do so. But Petraeus, in his resignation message, cited strictly "personal reasons" surrounding the affair. (Read more)
- This story was just breaking as we were preparing to release today's Daily Brief. Undoubtedly, much more will be revealed about this sad episode in the days ahead. In the meantime, please lift up General Petraeus and his sweet wife, Holly, before the Throne of Grace. May the Lord's hand of healing and restoration move deeply now in their marriage. In His Name, amen.
- "Nothing is too difficult for thee." (Jer. 32:17)
2. Ron Paul: Election shows U.S. 'far gone' - Washington Times
Rep. Ron Paul, whose maverick presidential bids shook the GOP, said in the wake of this week's elections that the country has already veered over the fiscal cliff and he sees no chance of righting ship in a country where too many people are dependent on government.
- Father, we too are concerned about the vast numbers of people who are increasingly dependent on the government for their income. We can see that a further increase of those needing help, could "tip the balance" so those working and paying for those who don't work, would shrink available funds and cause more people to join the welfare rolls. Abba, we want to help those who need help, but we need more workers, not fewer. We ask for fiscal sanity for this administration in Your precious Name, Amen.
- "And God can give you more blessings than you need. Then you will always have plenty of everything-enough to give to every good work. It is written in the Scriptures. He gives to the poor. The things he does are right and will continue forever. God is the One who gives seed to the farmer and bread for food. He will give you all the seed you need and make it grow so there will be a great harvest from your goodness." (2 Corinthians 9:8-10)
3. How Many Businesses Have Announced Closings or Layoffs Since Obama Won A Second Term? - The Blaze
Do elections have consequences? If you have been paying attention to the financial markets, you might think so. Wall Street has had two horrible days since President Obama won a second term. However, stock prices are not the only thing taking a hit. It appears that the job market is also suffering. In the last 48 hours,major corporations have announced layoffs in America.
b) Mannarino: Here Comes the Equities Crash As Obama Re-Elected- DOW 4,000 Possible - SD Bullion
With the looming fiscal cliff, massive tax increasing set for 2013, the Fed preparing to take QE supernova, Mannarino states a major market sell-off and financial collapse is coming in which many people will lose everything! Mannarino believes that the coming crash will be so intense that the DOW could potentially hit 4,000!
- Lord, we come to You on behalf of those small businesses that must cut their payroll in order to provide the mandated health care for their employees. We ask for wisdom in deciding what to do, and who will be affected by these layoffs. We pray for those who will be laid off, that You would provide for them, and their families. We ask that they be led by Your Spirit to other jobs and resources to pick up the slack. As we face the anticipated "fiscal cliff", we ask that You will give our administration genuine concern, Your wisdom, and Your priorities in dealing with finances. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "That is the way we should live, because God's grace that can save everyone has come. It teaches us not to live against God nor to do the evil things the world wants to do. Instead, that grace teaches us to live in the present age in a wise and right way and in a way that shows we serve God." (Titus 2:11,12)
4. Obama May Levy Carbon Tax to Cut U.S. Deficit, HSBC Says - Bloomberg
Barack Obama may consider introducing a tax on carbon emissions to help cut the U.S. budget deficit after winning a second term as president, according to HSBC Holdings Plc.
- Lord, again we ask - now that the election is over - that this administration will get together with Congress and they will work with integrity at lowering our national debt. We ask for "God-ideas", which we know are wise and equitable. We ask for a consensus of thought and action for the good of the people of this nation.
- "Do not judge unfairly or take sides. Do not let people pay you to make wrong decisions, because that kind of payment makes wise people seem blind, and it changes the words of good people. Always do what is right so that you will live and always have the land the Lord your God is giving you." (Deuteronomy 16:19,30)
5. Boehner Would Accept New Revenue Under 'Right Conditions' - Bloomberg
U.S. House Speaker John Boehner said Republicans would be willing to agree to new revenue from a tax system that would generate faster economic growth and be accompanied by changes to entitlement programs.
- Father, again we ask wisdom for these members of Congress, and the administration, as they seek to find a solution for this looming fiscal problem. We pray that any "solution" they agree to, would be fair and equitable for all concerned.
- "I beg you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that all of you agree with each other and not be split into groups. I beg that you be completely joined together by having the same kind of thinking and the same purpose." (I Corinthians 1:10)
6. Judge denies Allen West's motion over ballots - (PALM BEACH POST)
Judge Crow denies Allen West's motion in Palm Beach County. He says West's motion is "premature" since the election has no official results yet. He also says the legislature, not courts, sets election procedures. A Palm Beach County circuit court hearing on Republican U.S. Rep. Allen West's motion to impound ballots---
- Lord, we do ask for an honest election result for Rep. Allen West's reelection bid. We pray that cool heads will prevail, and that You would reveal the secret things that need to be brought into the light. We ask for integrity in the results of this election. We pray You will give Your wisdom and Your peace to all persons involved in this dispute, and that righteousness would prevail. Amen.
-"My enemies turn back;they stumble and perish before you. For you have upheld my right and my cause,sitting enthroned as the righteous judge." (Psalm 9:3,4)
7. Twelve EU countries likely to back Palestine's UN bid - EU Observer
Palestine can count on about 12 Yes votes by EU countries when it seeks to upgrade its UN status, in a move expected later this month. EU foreign affairs spokeswoman Maja Kocijancic told EUobserver on Thursday (8 November) that foreign ministers will debate the subject at a regular meeting in Brussels on 19 November.
- O Lord God, we exalt You above all nations. You are the King of all kings, and the Lord of all lords, You alone are God, and there is none other, Who keeps Covenant with Your People, O God of Israel. We worship You alone. We ask that You would show Yourself strong on behalf of Your covenant people. Bring confusion to those who hate You and Your people - may their counsel come to nothing. Amen.
- "Why do the nations rage, and the peoples plot in vain. The kings of the earth rise up, and the rulers band together against the Lord, and against His anointed One." (Acts 4:25,26)
8. Defense Department Can't Put Soldiers, Ballots Together - 'This is precisely where DoD has failed these overseas troops' - WND
"President Obama's lawsuit argued that providing special consideration for the unique challenges faced [by] members of the military by ensuring that they have every opportunity to vote is 'entirely arbitrary' and has 'no legitimate justification' in the law" said a report from the American Center for Law and Justice.
- Abba, we cry to You on behalf of our brave men and women who are putting themselves in harm's way, in order to protect us as a nation. Of all American voters, who is more worthy to vote in our elections than those who are laying down their lives to protect our nation? To ignore, or nullify their votes is unconscionable. We ask that this wrong will be made right. We know this exact same thing happened four years ago, and was not corrected. How can we allow illegal aliens to vote, and not our national heroes? We ask for Your intervention in this travesty for Your sake and our nation's sake. Amen.
-"Do not pervert justice or show partiality. Do not accept a bribe, for a bribe blinds the eyes of the wise and twists the words of the innocent. Follow justice and justice alone, so that you may live and possess the land the Lord your God is giving you." (Deuteronomy 16:19-21)
9. House and Senate Return to Begin Lame Duck Session Next Week - CHPP
New Members to Begin Ten Days of Orientation
Members of the 112th Congress will return on Tuesday next week, reconvening to finish all unfinished business for this year. Major issues to be resolved are the budget for 2013, and hearings about the deaths of four American citizens in Benghazi.
In the meantime, new members of Congress, who will be inaugurated for the 113th Session in January, will also arrive next week so that they, and their spouses, can receive valuable training of the "do's and don'ts" of life on the Hill.
- Please lift up a prayer, decreeing that this "lame duck" session of Congress is not lame, after all, but will work with the full mandate of our citizens to finish the business that remains. Pray, too, for the members and spouses of the new Congress, as they receive this valuable training in preparation for the new jobs that will lie ahead of them in January.
- "But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way." (1 Corinthians 14:40)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness; Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes, And prudent in their own sight! (Isaiah 5:20-21))
1. Israel turns to Russia's Gazprom on gas project - World Tribune
Israel has been examining the prospect of selecting Russia to participate in a major offshore natural gas project.
2. IDF ground forces enter Gaza after finding tunnel packed with explosives - Times of Israel
Israeli ground forces entered the Gaza Strip on Thursday evening after finding a large tunnel filled with explosives running beneath the border fence with the Hamas-controlled enclave.
3. Egypt says it will back Palestinian bid to upgrade status at UN - Times of Israel
Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohammad Kamel Amr said on Thursday that his country would support the Palestinian bid to become a nonmember state at the United Nations.
4. Barak: Palestinian UN bid must be delayed - Jerusalem Post
Israel and the US must delay Palestinian unilateral statehood moves at the UN until after the Israeli elections, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said on Wednesday night.
The Daily Jot
A hard word: Revival not withdrawal
I can't tell you how many people who say they are Christians chastise others for wanting to be involved in the political process. They say that the emphasis should be on the kingdom of God not on earthly kingdoms. At the same time, all the emphasis on Christian living and the self indulgent gospel have done virtually nothing to build the kingdom of God. In fact, we are seeing the exact opposite. A recent Pew poll indicated that 20% of all American adults and 32% of adults under 18 have no religious affiliation, yet 68% say they believe in God. Notwithstanding, 88% say they are not looking for a religion. Christianity in America is failing and it is reflected in all aspects of our society, including our representative government.
The Emergent Church, the prosperity gospel, the New Apostolic Reformation, Dominion Theology, Seven Mountains, Chrislam, and more are based on false doctrines of man and use only enough of the Bible to tickle ears and get people hooked on their cult concepts. What we need in this nation is a revival of true Christianity. Instead, we have the pulpit leading people into self indulgent, extra-biblical manifestations of eisegesis--picking and choosing a verse or two from the Bible to justify their wild liberal concepts of God and Jesus. This is not bringing people into the kingdom, but rather repulsing them and making them vocalize the obvious: radical behavior that causes withdrawal.
Those practicing these pop-cult pulpit behaviors also withdraw. They withdraw from society into their own little clubs, thinking they are doing the work of the Lord when in reality they are just rearranging deck chairs on a sinking ship. There are so many concepts of God and Jesus out there it is difficult to discern what or how many of these pop-cult movements are worshiping. That is the main reason why The Daily Jot has focused on the original names of God and Jesus--YHVH and Yeshua Ha Mashiac, respectively. We want no one to be confused as to who we are discussing and quoting. Religious sects that change the nature and the person of the Godhead are what Yeshua warns of in Matthew 24:4, "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Instead of withdrawal--either by segregation in religious enclaves or by repelling others because of our behaviors--we need revival. There is no preacher that is going to stand before YHVH on your behalf come judgment day. It is going to be you. You therefore have the sole responsibility for your soul. The revival I am talking about here must come from the hearts of those who truly want to know the LORD. Study His word. Hold your pastors accountable. Don't take what man feeds you as truth--find out for yourself by being a student of the Holy Word. Only then will you be able to engage the world around you with truth. Those who are rejecting Christianity are doing so because they see no salt or light, just behaviors they reject.
If we are to turn this nation around, we need a revivalution. Not the stadium type of mass processing of souls, but rather the individual type of learning and knowing the one true God, YHVH, through Yeshua Ha Mashiach. From your world view on the coming end times to the commandments to love one another, we all need to have a complete understanding of our Lord and Savior. We can revive our society, our nation, by reviving our walk with the Lord. 1 Timothy 4:1 says, "Now the Spirit speaks expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils." We are seeing this before our eyes. We must address it as our souls and the souls of many hang in the balance.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Back To Benghazi
Back To Benghazi
With the election over, members of Congress are coming back to Washington, D.C. They have a lot on their plates -- the debt ceiling, preventing "taxmageddon" and stopping the country from going off the fiscal cliff. Add the Benghazi debacle to that list.
Both the House and Senate Intelligence Committees will hold hearings next week regarding the attack that killed our ambassador and three other Americans. According to Fox News the Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper, CIA Director General David Petraeus** and Matt Olsen, the director of the National Counterterrorism Center, are expected to testify.
Among the issues likely to be discussed at these hearings is the lack of security that was provided to the consulate in view of the repeated attacks against it. More than 50 House members recently sent a letter to President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton demanding to know whether two bombings at the consulate this year -- on April 6 and June 6 -- were included in the president's daily intelligence briefing.
Clearly, the consulate was a jihadist target, and the attack on the anniversary of September 11th should not have come as a great surprise to anyone. (Gary Bauer)
Now that General Petraeus has resigned his position as the Director of the CIA, it was announced later today that he will not, indeed, be called to testify next week at this hearing.
PA Statehood Bid Next Week
Final countdown to a PA vote at the UN on 15th or 29th November.
Please pray !!!
We have received the following prayer requests from the European Coalition from Israel.
Please intercede in agreement with their requests. Thank you.
The Palestinian Authority has finally set a date for their long anticipated unilateral statehood bid at the UN. The vote is expected on either the 15th or the 29th of November.
Please would you pray that the vote would be postponed. Both the Americans and the EU are currently urging the Palestinians to postpone the vote in order not to interfere with the Israeli elections in January. We believe postponing the vote would give the nations more time to make up their mind and learn about the real meaning of a unilateral declaration of a Palestinian state.
Please would you pray for your own nation that they would have the courage to vote "no" once the statehood bid is presented at the UN.
Please pray that more and more nations would understand the implications of a "yes" to a PA state with the Old City of Jerusalem as its capital as it violates both the legal rights given to the Jewish people by the international community in San Remo in 1920 and - more importantly - God's eternal covenant with his ancient people and His land.
ECI will be in New York during the last week of November. Please pray that we would accomplish everything that the Lord has prepared for us for us for that week.
Yours in Him,
Tomas & team
European Coalition for Israel
Alert for New Members of Congress
American Humanist Association Tells Newly-Elected Congress
Not to Join Prayer Caucus
The American Humanist Association (AHA) reports that it sent letters to newly-elected Members of the House of Representatives calling on them not to join the Congressional Prayer Caucus. Instead, the AHA asked Members "to actively work to ensure that the wall of separation between church and state is strengthened and maintained." From the letter: ". . . I feel compelled to inform you about an organization within Congress that often supports legislation that weakens the separation of church and state and discriminates against non-religious Americans."
Members of the Prayer Caucus have worked together since 2005 to preserve the First Freedoms enshrined in the Constitution. They have supported the freedom of Americans to pray; defended faith-based organizations and their unique contribution to the public square; and opposed efforts to weaken religious freedom and conscience protections for people of faith. In the coming years, they will continue striving to be a voice for religious freedom in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Lift up a prayer for every new member of Congress as they prepare to come to Washington next week to begin ten days of intensive orientation for their new role on Capitol Hill. Deception seems to run rampant these days in Washington, D.C. -- pray they be granted "eyes to see" truth in these halls of power. In His Name, amen.
- "But blessed are your aeyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear." (Matthew 13:16)
Mojave Cross: Reinstated on Veterans Day!
Mojave Cross: Reinstated on Veterans Day!
This Veterans Day, the Mojave memorial cross will be restored to its place in the Mojave Desert after more than a decade of litigation. The World War I memorial cross was erected on public land in 1934 and was undisturbed until the ACLU sued for its removal in 2001. When a federal court ruled that the cross's presence on federal land was unconstitutional, Congress intervened by passing legislation that directed the U.S. Department of the Interior to give the land where the cross was located to the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) in exchange for a parcel of equal value. In 2010 the Supreme Court approved Congress' action and sent the case back to the district court to review the land transfer. In the interim, the cross was stolen by vandals. A federal judge approved a settlement agreement in April of 2012 to allow the land exchange between the National Park Service and the VFW. On Sunday, the Liberty Institute will host a ceremony in the Mojave Desert to celebrate the memorial's restoration.
When the case was before the Supreme Court, Members of the Prayer Caucus signed on to an amicus curiae brief supporting the constitutionality of memorial crosses that honor our nation's veterans. The restoration of the Mojave memorial is a welcome victory, and will ensure that this historic symbol is preserved for future generations.
Honoring Our Veterans on Veterans Day
Honoring Our Veterans on Veterans Day
1. PRESIDENTIAL PROCLAMATION
Barack Obama has issued a Presidential Proclamation for Veterans Day, 2012. To read his words, go here.
2. A VIDEO TRIBUTE: FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
To view this moving tribute, go here.
3. Veterans Day Free Meals 2012
A big list of free meals for Veterans Day 2012. Participating restaurants include Golden Corral, Applebees, Olive Garden, Chili's, Krispy Kreme, and many more. (You may want to call ahead, as some businesses are honoring Veteran's Day on Sunday; while others are observing this holiday on Monday.)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
Wrap-Up: Over 600 Babies Saved in 40 Days
At the end of this record-breaking 40 Days for Life campaign, we praise God for 608 babies saved from abortion-that we know of! Many campaigns are still compiling their reports, so that number will likely keep growing.
As we close the largest 40 Days for Life campaign in history . . . the following things can be said about what God can do in just 40 days:
40 days ago:
- there were children scheduled to be aborted who are alive today.
40 days ago:
- women were making abortion appointments-but now, they're preparing their lives to welcome a new baby boy or baby girl.
40 days ago:
- cold hearts that were annoyed at your peaceful presence at the abortion facility are now open to joining you in prayer.
40 days ago:
- you may have doubted what God could accomplish; and yet through your prayer, fasting and vigil . . . YOU have been spiritually blessed.
(Source: 40DaysforLife.com) Read more.
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
by Sherri Youngward