· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Election News
· The Economy in Crisis
· Kenyans Warn Americans About Obama Victory
· Buckeyes Challenge ACORN
· Security Is Top Election Issue
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2008
"God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; He does great things beyond our understanding." (Job 37:5)
The Daily Brief
1. Market Takes Another Dive - Fox News
Dow closes down 514 points as crude oil plummets below $67 a barrel and another selling wave slams Wall Street.
· Lord, we join together in thanking You for Your grace in this time of financial questions and we pray for Your continuing peace over the spirits of the people of this nation.
· Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you," so that we confidently say, "The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid. What will man do to me?" (Hebrews 13:5-6)
2. White House Calls for World Financial Summit - Fox News
World leaders will meet Nov. 15 in Washington to address what could be long, deep global crisis.
· Almost one year ago to the date, the nations converged upon Annapolis, MD in a worldwide summit, designed to complete the "Roadmap to Peace" -- on that would foster the "two-state solution" and divide the land of Israel -- a matter that grieves and offends the heart of God. Now, one year later, the nations will convene again . . . Pray for God's intervention in this matter of world financial crisis, for it is He who blesses and curses nations for their support or the lack of support of Israel. Pray for wisdom for the American representatives who will attend this summit on behalf of our nation.
· "O remember not against us former iniquities: let Thy tender mercies speedily prevent us : for we are brought very low." (Psalm 79:8)
3. Iran, Russia, Qatar Discuss Forming Gas Cartel - Fox News
Iran, Russia and Qatar discussed the formation of an OPEC-style cartel among some of the largest natural gas producing nations on Tuesday, a prospect that has unnerved energy-importing nations in Europe and the United States.
· A discussion does not mean that any cartel will ever be developed. Pray confusion into this discussion and enmity between the parties involved. This new "cartel" is yet another attempt to bring the world hostage to the energy-producing nations.
· "Fill their [Thine enemies] faces with shame: that they may seek Thy Name, O Lord. Let them be confounded and troubled forever; yea, let them be put to shame, and perish." (Psalm 83:16,17)
4. Libya seeks Russian arms - Ynet News
Libya may agree to buy more than $2 billion worth of Russian weapons during a visit by Muammar Gaddafi to Moscow this month, Interfax news agency reported on Monday, citing an unidentified source in Russia's arms industry.
· Why is Libya now seeking weapons after turning over its weapons to the USA several years ago? Some foul plan is afoot! Praise the Lord for the attentiveness of the Israeli media that publishes wickedness. Pray that the Lord will expose more of this "hidden" plot for weapons.
· "And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquities; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible." (Isaiah13:11)
5. Iraqi Cabinet Proposes Changes to Security Deal With U.S. - Fox News
Iraq's Cabinet decided Tuesday to ask the Americans for unspecified changes in the draft security pact that would allow U.S. troops to remain here another three years, despite warnings that it would be hard to reopen negotiations on the agreement.
· Pray that the USA is willing to look at these changes that Iraq proposes. If the plans are foolish, then let them be rejected; if helpful, then let them be addressed with seriousness and contemplation. Since the proposals are unspecified at this time, we can only pray God's will over them.
· "The just Lord is in the midst thereof: He will not do iniquity: every morning doth He bring His judgment to light , He faileth not: but the unjust knoweth no shame." (Zephaniah 3:5)
6. San Francisco Weighs Decriminalizing Prostitution - Fox News
In this live-and-let-live town, where medical marijuana clubs do business next to grocery stores and an annual fair celebrates sadomasochism, prostitutes could soon walk the streets without fear of arrest.
· Shame! San Francisco brings shame and judgment upon this nation, adding another filthy pile on top of many iniquities already perpetrated by the people of this nation. Obviously, we must stand in repentance with this city, for the righteous in the city lack the strength to resist evil without all of us joining with them. Pray that those rebellious against the Word of the Lord will be scattered from the city.
· "Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For ye shut up kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves , neither suffer ye them that are entering in." (Matthew 23:13)
7. Plague emerges in Grand Canyon, kills biologist - USA Today
On Nov. 2, a biologist was found dead, a 21st-century victim of plague, the disease that in the Middle Ages turned Europe into a vast mortuary. He was 37.The case mirrors events that have promoted a global surge in epidemics, among them influenza, HIV, West Nile virus and SARS. A study released this year in the journal Nature reported that about 60% of epidemics begin when a microbe makes the leap from an animal into a human.
· Pray that this plague microbe goes no farther than in the bloodstream of this unfortunate biologist. Ask the Lord to comfort his family and fellow workers. Pray for the death of this microbe and all others similar to it, and praise the Lord that this microbe was found and identified.
· "Blessed are those that mourn, for they shall be comforted." (Matthew 5:4)
8. Police prepare nationwide for unrest & riots on election day - The Hill (10/21/08)
Police departments in cities across the country are beefing up their ranks for Election Day, preparing for possible civil unrest and riots after the historic presidential contest. (Read more.)
· Begin to pray NOW and for the next few weeks -- both before, during and after this election -- that bloodshed would not visit our streets this year. This is a very serious and urgent matter, and only PRAYER can quiet the hearts of men, that they would turn towards good and not evil. PRAY!
· "Peace, peace to those far and near," says the LORD, "And I will heal them." (Isaiah 57:19)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:"Thus will I magnify Myself, and sanctify Myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am LORD [YHWH]." (Ezekiel 38:23)
1. Peres to focus on Saudi peace plan in meeting with Mubarak - Jerusalem Post
President Shimon Peres is scheduled to meet Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak in Sharm e-Sheikh Thursday, a meeting diplomatic sources in Jerusalem said is possible because of the current leadership vacuum in Jerusalem.
2. Abbas: I was promised almost all of West Bank - Ynet News
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas told reporters in Ramallah that Prime Minister Ehud Olmert had promised him "almost all of the West Bank" and "nearly all of the neighborhoods of east Jerusalem," Arab media reported Monday.
3. Israel's Livni asks for two more weeks to form govt - AFP
Israel's Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni on Monday asked for an additional two weeks to form a government in her bid to become Israel's second woman prime minister, public radio reported.
4. Nasrallah reportedly survives poisoning attempt - ICEJ
NewsAn Iraqi Web site on Wednesday quoted diplomatic sources in Beirut as saying Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah was poisoned last week and that his life was saved by Iranian doctors rushed to Lebanon to treat him.
5. Peres to visit Egypt as Saudi peace plan comes back into play - ICEJ News
Cairo denies Nasrallah also invited for talks with MubarakIsraeli President Shimon Peres will travel to Egypt on Thursday to meet with Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak amid reports indicating that the shelved Saudi peace plan may be back on the agenda.
6. Gaza terrorists launch Kassam on Israel in violation of truce - ICEJ News
Gaza terrorists fired a Kassam rocket on Israel on Tuesday night in breach of the four-month-old truce between Hamas and Israel. The rocket landed in Israeli territory north of the Gaza Strip, but no injuries or damages were reported. In response, Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak ordered security forces to keep the Gaza crossings shut down on Wednesday, in keeping with the policy of imposing temporary closures following previous rocket attacks.
7. Obama camp refuses to debate Republican Jews - ICEJ News
US Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign has decided to back out of previously scheduled debates with the Republican Jewish Coalition concerning American foreign policy in the Middle East. The campaign cited aggressive advertising spots being run by the RJC calling Obama's views on Israel "dangerous" and "reckless." The refusal to debate applied to all representatives and surrogates for the Democratic nominee, Obama's campaign team indicated.Matt Brooks, executive director for the Republican Jewish Coalition, said in response that he was "disappointed and saddened" by the decision. The American Jewish vote could prove crucial in the US elections in two weeks, especially in such key swing states as Pennsylvania and Florida. While most Jews in the US traditionally vote Democratic, polls have indicated many are lukewarm about Obama's candidacy.
"In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30)
Pray for repentance for yourself and for our nation.
[PLEASE NOTE: AS EDITORIAL POLICY, CHPP WILL NOT PUBLISH ANY POLLS PRIOR TO ELECTION DAY. THE ONLY POLL THAT COUNTS IS THE ONE THAT IS TAKEN ON NOVEMBER 4TH, 2008. THANK YOU.]
1. 'Smears' About Obama Largely True - NewsMax
The Obama campaign says its candidate is a victim of "smears" -- and has even created a Web site to fight such attacks.
2. Battlefield New Hampshire - Fox News
McCain returns to the Granite State, trying to gain ground with polls showing voters there leaning toward Obama.
3. Palin Reaches Out to Women Voters - Fox News
Standing in front of five former Hillary Clinton supporters who are now throwing their support behind the McCain campaign.
4. I am Joe The Plumber - Fox News
New McCain ad featuring a variety of voters citing the new McCain rallying call : " I am Joe the Plumber".
5. House, Senate Republicans Could Lose Valuable Members on Election Day - Fox News
Not only are Republicans expected to suffer double-digit losses in the House and Senate on Election Day, but some of their longest-serving members could be on their way out.
The Economy in Crisis
For all the headlines below, we lift up this prayer today:
· Please continue to pray over this economic situation. Only the Lord can provide the wisdom needed to redeem the nation. Use your prayer language if you're not sure how to pray.
· "The blessing of the Lord: it maketh rich, and He addeth no sorrow with it." (Proverbs 10:22)
1. Fed to Provide Up to $540 Billion to Aid Money Funds - Bloomberg
The Federal Reserve will provide up to $540 billion in loans to help relieve pressure on money-market mutual funds beset by redemptions.
2. For car dealers, tight credit is fueling a 'catastrophe' - USA Today
They may be folks you love to hate, but it's hard not to have sympathy for car dealers these days. These business owners are manning the bucket brigades in an auto industry meltdown.
3. Southern California Home Sales Jump 65 Percent, Tracking Firm Says - Fox News
Southern California home sales jumped 65 percent in September from a year ago, as plummeting prices fueled by foreclosures lured more buyers, a real estate tracking firm said Monday.
4. OPEC Pushing to Cut Production, Drive Up Oil and Gasoline Prices - Fox News
Just as Americans are finally beginning to reap the benefits of plunging gasoline prices -- including more money in their pockets -- OPEC is getting ready to squeeze them once again by cutting oil production and driving up prices to refineries.
Kenyans Warn Americans About Obama Victory
In recent days, readers from around the world have contacted me at The Daily Jot expressing their viewpoint on the U.S. presidential election. Many are concerned that the United States is headed in the wrong direction this election, especially with the possibility of electing Democratic nominee B. Hussein Obama. Normally, I wouldn't put much credence into those who live in other countries regarding commentary on America's elections, but these Christian men and women are very concerned from the standpoint that America always has been the standard bearer for helping people in need around the world, sending Christian ministries to spread the word of God, and generally that we do not understand the implications of an Obama victory.
A pastor from Kenya wrote: "I have received your email (Daily Jot) forwarded to me from my loving and great friend Larry who is the missionary in Russia, Uzbekistan. We have been praying that the Lord will do what He can to make the Americans feel good by the end of the day. So I will pray that the Americans get the best person they want which is their choice. Because I too fearing if the Obama can take over the leadership of that great Nation with the Muslim background it is very dangerous and I am wondering why the Americans are blind and they do not see, their eyes should be open to see the danger ahead of them. . .I am going to pray for you and your country and may God help you overcome this reproach."
Kenyan missionaries wrote: "We are living and working in Kenya for almost twelve years now and know his family (tribe) well. They are the ones who were behind the recent Presidential election chaos here. Thousands of people have been displaced by election violence (over 350,000) and I don't know the last count of the dead. Obama, under 'friends of Obama' gave almost a million dollars to the opposition campaign who just happened to be his cousin, Raila Odinga, who is a socialist trained in East Germany. . .Obama IS a Muslim and he IS a racist and this is a fulfillment of the 9-11 threat that was just the beginning. Jihad is the only true Muslim way. . .He is not an American as we know it."
These are just samples of the emails that come in on a fairly regular basis. Many of them wonder why the Americans, especially Christian Americans, do not see these issues with Obama. Many are concerned that the support for American missionaries will be curtailed if Obama wins and the Democrats have their way in shutting down religious freedoms through so- called "separation of church and state" measures. Others fear for the nation that it will be literally conquered by Islam. These are not alarmists. They are sincere and concerned people with standing in their communities and with the Lord. The Apostle Paul wrote in Ephesians 6:20, "that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak." So should we all.
Word of Life Ministry
Buckeyes Challenge ACORN
It may not be as spacious as Texas and California or as cosmopolitan as New York, but when it comes to the presidential race, Ohio is the envy of them all. A perfect blend of cities and countryside, farmers and factory workers, the Buckeye State is America's political sweetheart. There, in this little U.S. microcosm, voters have an uncanny knack for picking the winning presidential candidate. In the last century, only two presidents have been elected without carrying Ohio. But the Buckeye State's importance on November 4 could also be its undoing.
As ACORN pounds the pavement for new voters, the allegations of fraud are boiling. More than 200,000 (over a third) of Ohio's 660,000 new registrations have been flagged as mismatches. While Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner (D) says she is committed to making Ohio's election an honest one, she has yet to comply with federal law. It demands that she safeguard the democratic process by verifying the thousands of registrations in question. Last week, she refused. Sensing that the election could be compromised-and seeing no attempt by the government to correct it-the Ohio Republican Party sued Brunner for compliance with the law. Democrats called it a partisan attack. Their accusations carried over to Hamilton County where prosecutor Joseph Deters (R) uncovered similar problems with hundreds of absentee ballots. Even when he turned the investigation over to another prosecutor, liberals said the probe was fueled by GOP ties.
Understandably, voter confidence across the state is shaky. But unlike their party leaders, Ohioans don't see the issue of corruption in blue and red. They see it like most Americans-as a matter of basic democracy. Republican, Independent, or Democrat, we all have a stake in ensuring free and fair elections. The very foundation of our great republic rests on it. For more on how you can protect your state from corruption, log on to www.defendmyvote.com. And while you're online, check out Ken Blackwell's piece in today's Washington Times, "Voter Fraud." (Family Research Council)
Security Is Top Election Issue
URGENT ACTION ALERT - Security Is Top Election Issue
As we move into the final stretch of the presidential campaign, it is imperative that the candidates hear from us regarding the priority of key issues. Top among the various issues should be security, particularly as it relates to the nuclear threat from Iran. We hope you agree and will join us in our campaign to make the candidates and the editors of newspaper aware of your opinion in. Please read the following letter.
Click on the link and it will be automatically forward to the two presidential candidates major newspapers in the swing states.
LETTER TO PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES AND MAJOR NEWSPAPERS
Senator John McCain and Senator Barack Obama, The overriding election issue, without question, is the Iranian threat to the civilized world. Not since the time of Hitler have we been so close to the brink of total catastrophe. All of life on this planet is threatened by the maniacal genocidal goals openly expressed by Ahmadinejad. There is no doubt that he will use nuclear power indiscriminately just as he vows to do. Instead of ostracizing him, the media and some prominent members of the American public honored him in New York at a dinner party. The mere fact that he was invited to speak at the U.N. should have been cause enough to generate a widespread outcry of rage by all thinking citizens, and certainly by our candidates.
As presidential candidates you should awaken the American public to this potential threat to our survival. The question we now ask of you is:
"Will you authorize the use of force in time to stop Iran from developing the capacity to make nuclear weapons? We respectfully request a definitive 'yes or no' answer."
We must hear exactly how you will respond. This issue dwarfs all others. Even the economy, healthcare, abortion and gay rights pale when compared with fighting a nuclear war of horrifying devastation resulting in the death of millions upon millions of people. We must address this issue before the election. We cannot waste time discussing such things as the New York Times diatribe against Cindy McCain, or other distracting minutiae.
We are faced with an individual who is ready, willing and able to carry out his threats because the Islamists prefer their death to our freedom. We cannot dismiss this incalculable Iranian threat being 'carried out as advertised.' Only a few days ago on Yom Kippur, had the chemical laden Iranian ship not been intercepted by Somalian pirates, we may have already witnessed a massive attack signaling the beginning of this threat to liberty, tolerance, equality and everything we stand for. The American public deserves to examine the difference between the presidential tickets with respect to this very real, deadly threat. I feel that your answer is critical to how I will vote on November 4.
(Source: Unity Coaltion for Israel)