· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Election News
· The Economy in Crisis
· GOOD NEWS FROM MCDONALD'S!!
· Bush Signs Bill for Disabled
· Special Yom Kippur Prayer in Israel
· Good News from State Dept. for Israeli Visitors
· Unity on Day of Prayer for Jerusalem
· India: Deadly Christian Persecution
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, October 10, 2008
"Pray without ceasing . . ." (I Thess. 5:17)
REMINDER: "ON CAPITOL HILL THIS WEEK" WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED ON MONDAY, AS CONGRESS IS NOW IN RECESS. THE DAILY BRIEF WILL RETURN ON TUESDAY.
The Daily Brief
1. Connecticut Supreme Court Legalizes Same- Sex Marriage - CNN
The Connecticut Supreme Court ruled Friday that gay and lesbian couples have the right to get married. The ruling makes Connecticut the third state, after Massachusetts and California, to decide its constitution mandates treating citizens equally when applying for marriage licenses, regardless of their sexual orientation.
· Stand in the gap, in repentance once again, for this horrific ruling that has come out of the State of Connecticut today. May God yet have mercy upon our people!
· Then the LORD God made the rib He had taken from the man into a woman and brought her to the man. And the man said: "This one, at last, is bone of my bone, and flesh of my flesh; this one will be called woman, for she was taken from man." This is why a man leaves his father and mother and bonds with his wife, and they become one flesh. (Genesis 2:22- 24)
2. Decision to Teach Kids to be 'Gay' Allowed to Stand - (World Net Daily)
A federal court decision approving mandatory public school instruction for children as young as kindergarten in how to be homosexual is being allowed to stand, drawing a description of "despicable" from the parent who unsuccessfully challenged his school district's "gay" advocacy agenda.
· "Only be on your guard and diligently watch yourselves, so that you don't forget the things your eyes have seen and so that they don't slip from your mind as long as you live. Teach them to your children and your grandchildren." (Deuteronomy 4:9)
3. Historic Losses on Wall Street Despite Late Rally - Fox News
Wall Street staged a huge late-day rally to close well off session lows Friday but the Dow still suffered its worst weekly meltdown in its 112-year history. The Dow has now plummeted nearly 2400 points over the past eight trading days in a panic-induced collapse fueled by the nation's most serious credit crisis since the Great Depression.
B. Bush: Anxiety Persists, Economy is Resilient - Fox News
President Bush said Friday that "anxiety can feed anxiety," causing a market panic, but his administration is working aggressively to provide the tools to restore liquidity and sanity to capital markets. In remarks from the White House Rose Garden, the president also warned anyone against trying to make a fast buck on the financial crisis and reassured Americans that their money is safe."We are concerned that some investors could take advantage of the crisis to illegally manipulate the stock market," Bush said. "Anyone caught engaging in illegal financial activities will be prosecuted."
Prayer Points for the Economy:
1. Pray for leaders, politicians, banks, mortgage companies, etc. to be good stewards of God's money.
2. Repent for greed, lust, and covetousness in this country.
3. Repent for the sin of avarice and wastefulness.
4. Repent for leaders not helping the poor, widow and the orphan as commanded by God in His word.
Verses to Decree over the Economy:
-- "Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues without right." (Prov. 16:8 and Psalm 37:16)
-- "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon." (Matt. 6:24)
-- "Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therefore content." (I Timothy 6:5-8)
BE SURE TO NOTE OUR SPECIAL SECTION ON THE ECONOMY, BELOW.
4. Shiite Politician Assassinated in Iraq; Mourners Blame US and Iraqi Forces - Fox News
A roadside bomb killed a prominent member of Muqtada al-Sadr's political movement Thursday, raising fears of new internal Shiite bloodshed ahead of regional elections expected in January.
· We pray for protection for the innocent who are in Iraq and for continuing peace despite the plans of the wicked.
· Then the virgin will rejoice with dancing, while young and old men rejoice together. I will turn their mourning into joy, give them consolation, and bring happiness out of grief. (Jeremiah 31:13)
5. Report: North Korea Prepares to Fire More Missiles, Restart Nuke Facility - Fox News
North Korea appears to be powering up its nuclear weapons program again as it tested missiles in apparent personnel training and announced plans to reopen its plutonium plant.
· Lord Jesus help us to have clear eyes to see the intentions of those who will stir up hate and warfare. Give our leaders discernment to know the long-term implications of decisions they make now.
· Everyone who has a treaty with you will drive you to the border; everyone at peace with you will deceive and conquer you. Those who eat your bread will set a trap for you. He will be unaware of it. (Obadiah 1:7)
6. Russia Hints It Won't Sell S-300 to Iran - Jerusalem Post
Senior diplomatic officials in Jerusalem expressed satisfaction Thursday night at indications that Russia has decided not to sell its S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems to Iran and Syria.
· We thank You for your continuing hand of protection over Israel. We pray that you After this I heard something like the loud voice of a vast multitude in heaven, saying: 'Hallelujah!
· Salvation, glory, and power belong to our God." (Revelation 19:1)
7. Russia Pushes Security Pact to Rival NATO - USA Today
In a challenge to 60 years of U.S. leadership in Europe, Russia's president said Wednesday that America's financial crisis had diminished its power and called for a new security pact to rival NATO.
· "They open their mouths against me and strike my cheeks with contempt; they join themselves together against me." (Job 16:10)
8. Bush Signs Civil Nuclear Deal With India - Fox News
President Bush has signed into law a bill that reverses three decades of U.S. policy and allows American businesses to enter India's multibillion- dollar nuclear market.
· Pray in the spirit over this move, asking that all be done according to God's perfect will for both nations.
· "Pray without ceasing . . ." (I Thess. 5:17)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "The LORD has prepared His throne in the heavens; and His kingdom rules over all." (Psalms 103:19) (Jeremiah 32:17)
1. Akko Riots: Police Ordered on Heightened Alert - Ynet News
Police Commissioner Dudi Cohen met with the Northern Police District commanders on Friday for a security assessment, following Thursday's riots in Akko.
2. Hamas to Regulate Gaza Tunnels - Ynet News
The Hamas government in Gaza has issued new ordinance under which all underground tunnels connecting the Gaza side of the Rafah crossing with its Egyptian side, must be register with local bureaus and connected to the city's power grid, Yedioth Ahronoth reported Friday.
3. Kadima and Labor Edge Closer to Deal - Jerusalem Post
Official Kadima and Labor negotiating teams will meet formally for the first time in Tel Aviv on Friday in an effort to finalize a deal on a new governing coalition led by Kadima leader Tzipi Livni.
4. Hamas and Fatah to Hold Talks in Cairo - Jerusalem Post
Fatah and Hamas representatives are scheduled to meet in Cairo in the coming days in yet another bid to end their ongoing rivalry, sources close to the two parties said Thursday.
For all the headlines below, we thank God for the promise of His Word: It is written, " . . . let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance- for understanding proverbs and parables, the sayings and riddles of the wise." (Proverbs 1:5,6)
· Pray that God's man will listen with discernment, add to his knowledge, and receive wise counsel in this campaign.
1. Ohio Elections Official: Judge's Ruling 'Spreading Chaos' - Fox News
Ohio's top election official accused a federal judge Friday of injecting "disorder" into the presidential race by ordering her to purge the state's voter rolls of potentially fraudulent voters. Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner, a Democrat, complained that US District Judge George C. Smith's ruling on Thursday "threatens to throw Ohio's entire statewide [voter] database . . . into chaos." (Read more.)
2. Obama Camp Downplays ACORN Payments - Washington Times
Democratic presidential nominee Sen. Barack Obama's campaign distanced itself Thursday from its $800,000 payment linked to the liberal ACORN organization, which is under investigation in several states where it is suspected of filing fraudulent voter registrations. (Read more.)
3. Farrakhan on Obama: "The Messiah is Absolutely Speaking" - World Net Daily
Nation of Islam leader Louis Farrakhan, another powerful Chicago-based political figure associated with the Rev. Jeremiah Wright and other long-time associates of Democratic Party Presidential candidate Barack Obama, is leaving no doubt about what he thinks of the leader in the campaign for the White House. (Read more.)
4. McCain Faces Conservative Backlash Over Mortgage Plan - CNN
John McCain is facing a fresh round of anger from members of his own party deeply opposed to the Arizona senator's proposal for the federal government to purchase troubled mortgage loans. (Read more.)
The Economy in Crisis
For all the headlines below, we lift up this prayer tonight:
Lord, in this time of noise and confusion, still our hearts to allow us to recognize Your sovereignty in power over the nations of the earth. The stock markets and financial institutions are theoretical powers while You are a real and present comfort to us. Thank You for the plan that You will raise out of this chaos.
· "You do not have to fight this battle. Position yourselves, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD. He is with you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Tomorrow, go out to face them, for the LORD is with you." (2 Chronicles 20:17)
1. India's Central Bank Moves to Increase Liquidity - AFP
India's central bank on Friday said it would inject a further 400 billion rupees (8.2 billion dollars) into the financial system, by cutting the cash reserve commercial banks must hold to 7.5 percent.
2. World Finance Chiefs Grasp for Solutions in Finance Firestorm - AFP
In the face of a growing financial firestorm finance chiefs from the Group of Seven nations were due to meet in Washington on Friday in search of a solution.
3. European and Asian Markets Plunge to New Lows - CNN
European and Asian stocks fell sharply in response to the Dow's third biggest one-day point loss as finance ministers from the G7 leading industrial countries were due to meet in Washington Friday to discuss the current economic crisis.
4. Frank: GOP Criticism of Housing Crisis is Aimed at Poor Blacks - Fox News
Rep. Barney Frank said Monday that Republican criticism of Democrats over the nation's housing crisis is a veiled attack on the poor that's racially motivated.
5. NYC National Debt Clock Runs Out of Digits - Newsday
In a sign of the times, the legendary National Debt Clock in New York City has run out of digits to record the growing debt
6. World Bank Under Cyber Seige in 'Unprecedented Crisis' - Fox News
The World Bank Group's computer network - one of the largest repositories of sensitive data about the economies of every nation - has been raided repeatedly by outsiders for more than a year, FOX News has learned. It is still not known how much information was stolen. But sources inside the bank confirm that servers in the institution's highly-restricted treasury unit were deeply penetrated with spy software last April. Invaders also had full access to the rest of the bank's network for nearly a month in June and July.
7. Russian president Dmitry Medvedev calls for Europe to freeze out US - UPI
To remedy Washington's ambitions to play the global policeman, Mr Medvedev proposed an overhaul of the world's security and financial structures. In order to end the "unipolar" model in which the world depended on the United States, he proposed creating new financial systems to challenge the dominance of the International Monetary Fund and the World Trade Organisation, both of which had fallen under Washington's spell. (UPI) (Read more.)
GOOD NEWS FROM MCDONALD'S!!
McDonald's Straightens Up and Fries Right!
[Note from the editor: OK, we can now all go back to eating our Big Macs and enjoying our Dollar Meals -- and our "senior coffees" -- once again. Read below and REJOICE! But on a much more serious note, we DO thank you ALL for your prayers for this very traditional American company; and we thank our LORD for answered prayers!]
The Big Mac attack on family values is finally over! After a five-month boycott, Americans finally got what they ordered-McDonald's agreement to stop financing the homosexual agenda. Back in May, the fast food giant joined the Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce to the dismay of millions of customers who did not feel served. At the time, company Vice President Richard Ellis refused to back down, even calling conservatives "haters" in a public statement.The American Family Association launched a national campaign to force McDonald's to eat its words. And eat them, they did! This week, McDonald's announced that Ellis had resigned from the GLCC. In an email to franchises, the company said, "It is our policy not to be involved in political and social issues. McDonald's remains neutral on same- sex marriage [and the] 'homosexual agenda.'" We thank McDonald's -- and those of you who used your buying power to encourage values on the menu and in company policy. (Source: FRC Action)
[To read more, go here. This link takes you to an article in the Chicago Sun- Times, "McDonald's cuts off gay chamber of commerce group"]
Bush Signs Bill for Disabled
BROWNBACK APPLAUDS PRESIDENT SIGNING PRE-NATALLY AND POST-NATALLY DIAGNOSED CONDITIONS AWARENESS ACT
Bill to help expecting parents, families of children with disabilities
U.S. Senator Sam Brownback applauded President Bush for signing into law S.1810, the Pre-natally and Post-natally Diagnosed Conditions Awareness Act. S.1810 requires that families who receive a diagnosis of Down syndrome or any other condition, pre-natally or up until a year after birth, be given up-to-date information about the nature of the condition and connection with support services and networks that could offer assistance.
"President Bush signed into law a bill that will help an untold number of expecting parents who learn that their unborn child may be born with a disability," said Brownback. "This is a great victory for the culture of life we should all seek to promote. Currently, 90 percent of children pre-natally diagnosed with Down syndrome are aborted. That number is much too high and suggests that we as a society are not doing everything we can to protect every human life, at every stage."
The Pre-natally and Post-natally Diagnosed Conditions Awareness Act would provide for the expansion and further development of a national clearinghouse on information for parents of children with disabilities, so that the clearinghouse would be better equipped to assist parents whose children have recently been pre- or post-natally diagnosed. The bill also provides for the expansion and further development of national and local peer-support programs. The bill also calls for the creation of a national registry of families willing to adopt children with pre- or post-natally diagnosed conditions. (Office of Senator Sam Brownback)
Special Yom Kippur Prayer in Israel
Yom Kippur: Tel Aviv Rally Asked for Gilad Shalit's Forgiveness
Less than 48 hours before Israel's holiest Day of Atonement, Yom Kippur, thousands gathered in Rabin's Square in Tel Aviv on the night of October 6 to ask Israel Defense Forces soldier Gilad Shalit's forgiveness. Shalit has been held captive by Hamas in Gaza for almost two and a half years.Chief Ashkenazi Rabbi Yona Metzger read a special prayer calling for Shalit's safe return at the rally and intends to distribute it on Tuesday, to be read in synagogues throughout Israel on Yom Kippur and weekly on Shabbat after the Torah [Gen.-Deut.] reading.
Shalit's father, Noam, also addressed the crowd as well as Shlomo Goldwasser whose son Udi was killed by Hizbullah who held his body for two years before it was returned. Looking at the crowd gathered before him, Goldwasser declared "tonight I am not Udi's father as most people knew him, but simply a frustrated citizen who is upset that the Israeli government appears to care more for the rights of those in Gaza than Gilad.
"For The 834 days Gilad has been held captive said Goldwasser, elected government officials appear to be more concerned about their seats, the global financial crisis and the national budget, everything except working towards securing Gilad's release he said.Gilad's father Noam got up on stage towards the end of the rally to thank the thousands present. "Public support has grown as the days have passed and it has given us the strength to continue our seemingly endless fight for Gilad, thank you." (By Staff, Infolive.tv, October 7, 2008) [Reported by: Bridges for Peace]
· Yom Kippur (The Day of Atonement) has provoked the Jewish people to intercede for the release of captive soldier Gilad Shalit. Join with them in seeking the Lord for his safe return.
· "'Therefore do not fear, O My servant Jacob,' says the LORD, 'nor be dismayed, O Israel; for behold, I will save you from afar, and your seed from the land of their captivity. Jacob shall return, have rest and be quiet, and no one shall make him afraid.'" (Jeremiah 30:10)
Good News from State Dept. for Israeli Visitors
United States to Waive Israelis' Need for Entry Visa
The American administration has given its tenet consent to annul the US visa requirement for Israelis, Yedioth Ahronoth reported October 3. Israelis wishing to travel the US are required to have an entry visa. The process of obtaining one requires a fee, which currently stands at US $131, a consulate interview, and a lengthy wait. Despite the red tape, however, 98% of the applicants are granted a US visa. Interior Minister Meir Sheetrit, who is on an official visit to the US, met Thursday with US Secretary of Homeland Security, Michael Chertoff and Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte, and discussed Israel's desire for a visa-free status.
The three agreed to form respective teams which would begin formulating the necessary changes in policy, right after Yom Kippur. The US did, however stipulate the change in Israel's compliance to switch its passport system from paper to biometric documents. "This is a significant accomplishment," said Minister Sheetrit. "There is no reason for Israelis to have to go through the hassle of getting a visa. Israel doesn't require Americans visiting it to have a visa and there is no reason for the US to demand that of Israelis." (By Nurit Felter, Ynetnews.com, October 3, 2008)[Reported by Bridges for Peace]
· Praise God for this welcoming hospitality by the United States to Israeli visitors.
· "And he said, "Come in, O blessed of the LORD! Why do you stand outside? For I have prepared the house, and a place for the camels." (Genesis 24:31)
Unity on Day of Prayer for Jerusalem
Unity Displayed in Day of Prayer for Jerusalem
In a show of Christian-Jewish unity, the international Day of Prayer for the Peace of Jerusalem on October 5 brought together Christians from all over the world to pray for the holy city. God TV broadcasted the event, and more than 175 nations and over 200,000 churches were expected to participate in prayer. A variety of speakers took the stage in Jerusalem, as Christian leaders in Israel were supported by Israeli government officials and Rabbi Dr. Shlomo Riskin, as well as a representative from the Palestinian Christian community.
Knesset [Parliament] Member Gilad Erdan, the co- chairman of the Knesset Christian Allies Caucus, said that prayer has a special role in the defense of Jerusalem. "We can fight terrorism and we can defend ourselves from the Iranian threat, but the most powerful weapon that Christians and Jews have in their arsenal is prayer," said Erdan. The event culminated with a time of prayer that dealt with issues such as the peace of Jerusalem and praying for Israel's youth. Robert Stearns, the founder of Eagles' Wings Ministries and the co-chairman for the day of prayer, speaking with Bridges for Peace said, "We're very excited that all over the world, millions upon millions of Christians are gathering together to pray for the peace of Jerusalem." [Reported by Bridges for Peace]
· Praise God for the Christians who joined in the international Day of Prayer for the Peace of Jerusalem.
· "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: 'may they prosper who love you.'" (Psalm 122:6)
India: Deadly Christian Persecution
In India, They Hack Christians to Pieces
Before you spend any time fretting about the drop in the stock market, pray for Indian believers who have been attacked in the state of Orissa. J. Lee Grady is editor of Charisma. He has visited India twice and was in the state of Bihar, bordering Orissa, in February. You can also go to a new website on the violence by going here.
Join together to echo Mr. Grady's call: to pass this message along to your pastor, prayer group leader and praying friends. Please remember the Christians of India. Ask God to protect them with His angels, give them supernatural courage to stand for their faith and keep the doors open so the gospel can be preached in this huge nation Jesus Christ came from heaven to save. To read the full article please go here. [Reported by: Intercessors for America]
∙ We pray for peace to be restored and for the families who have lost loved ones. As the situation continues we pray protection over those who have been driven out of their homes and have to live in relief camps. Lord God, please minister to, console, and encourage all and remove their fears. We pray for a movement of God to withdraw the hate campaigns against Christians in India.
∙ "Don't fear those who kill the body but are not able to kill the soul; rather, fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matthew 10:28)