· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Election News
· The Economy in Crisis
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, October 21, 2008
"God's voice thunders in marvelous ways; He does great things beyond our understanding." (Job 37:5)
The Daily Brief
1. Biden to Supporters: "Gird Your Loins", For the Next President "It's Like Cleaning Augean Stables" - ABC
Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., on Sunday guaranteed that if elected, Sen. Barack Obama., D-Ill., will be tested by an international crisis within his first six months in power and he will need supporters to stand by him as he makes tough, and possibly unpopular, decisions. "We're gonna have to make some incredibly tough decisions in the first two years. So I'm asking you now, I'm asking you now, be prepared to stick with us."
· Heavenly Father, it is You that we run to in all our situations and we especially pray for this possible event to happen. We pray that it will never happen and that You will give us a president who honors You in their decisions and actions!
· But for those who are righteous, the path is not steep and rough. You are a God of justice, and you smooth out the road ahead of them. (Isaiah 26:7 NLT)
2. Poll: CA Marriage Issue a Tight Race - CBN News
A new public poll on gay marriage in California is shocking gay right advocates. The poll shows 47 percent are in favor of the November measure that could overturn gay marriage and another 10 percent are undecided. The San Francisco Financial Times reports that gay rights groups are now scrambling to raise more funds. The strong conservative campaign against same sex marriage has surprised many in the liberal state.
· Lord, it is Your wish that none should perish. We come before You in agreement that You will manifest Yourself into those homosexuals and that Christians will witness to them and disciple them.
· And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household." (Acts 16:30, 31)
3. Spending surge pushes deficit toward $1 trillion - MSNBC
Congressional leaders and both presidential candidates are proposing billions of dollars in tax breaks and other measures to stoke economic growth, a surge in spending that could send the federal deficit soaring toward $1 trillion this year, creating the deepest well of red ink since the end of World War II.
· Lord, as we enter a new season, we pray that only men and women with Your heart, mind, and vision will be elected to bring us back to sensible budget decisions and actions. Remove those that would go against that. Amen
· Therefore be careful to observe these laws for this is your wisdom and your understanding in the sight of the peoples who will hear all these statutes, and say, 'Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people.' (Deuteronomy 4:6)
4. Many Big Donors Using a Loophole in Presidential Race - IHT.com
But there has been a less-remarked-upon proliferation on the national fund-raising landscape: the rise of mega-donors, a group of givers with arguably greater potential to influence the candidates. Enabled by a loophole in campaign finance laws, they have written giant checks, which far exceed normal individual contribution limits to candidates, to joint fund-raising committees that benefit both the candidates and their respective parties.
· Lord, You are Lord over all and we ask You to not only expose the corrupt ones who are doing hidden sins - but we ask You to remove them from their seat of authority so they will no longer use their wealth and power to deceive.
· The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none who does good. (Psalms 14:1)
5. Economic Downturn Hits U.S. Police with Double Whammy - Reuters
The growing financial crisis is a double whammy for police in many U.S. cities: They face budget cuts as they brace for an expected surge in burglaries, thefts and robberies. "The empirical picture is that when people are unemployed and economic hardship is more widespread, crime seems to be more frequent. As more people catch on to the ease with which they can steal, and as the economy gets worse some people will no doubt become more desperate . . . to the extent they will steal," Charlie Deane, police chief of Prince William County in Virginia said.
· Heavenly Father, we pray that You will raise up churches and Christian groups to help those that truly need help during these times. We pray that people will not turn to crime, but instead turn to Christ.
· And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, "Be saved from this perverse generation." Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. (Acts 2:40, 41)
6. Farrakhan Says 'New Beginning' For Nation of Islam - CBS Chicago
The Nation of Islam, a secretive movement generally closed to outsiders, has planned a rare open-to-the public event at its Chicago-based headquarters in what the Minister Louis Farrakhan deemed a "new beginning" for the group. He's also played down some of the group's more controversial beliefs. The Nation of Islam has taught that whites are descended from the devil and that blacks are the chosen people of Allah.
· Your commandment was that we should have no other gods before You, Lord. We pray that this nation will not have any other religion including atheist or pagan. We pray this nation will be a solid, strong, and faithful Christian nation.
· Therefore know this day, and consider it in your heart, that the Lord Himself is God in heaven above and on the earth beneath; there is no other. (Deuteronomy 4:39)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "Thus will I magnify Myself, and sanctify Myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am LORD [YHWH]." (Ezekiel 38:23)
1. Israel expects U.S.-Iran talks under Obama - Ha'aretz
Israel expects the U.S. to initiate direct talks with Tehran if Senator Barack Obama is elected president, in which case a critical Israeli interest would be to condition any talks between the West and Iran on halting uranium enrichment, according to a senior government source.
2. UN chief: Hizbullah must be disbanded - Jerusalem Post
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon warned that Lebanon will not be a fully sovereign state until Hizbullah, and other militia groups are disbanded.
3. Gaza tunnels 'become an industry' - BBC
The level of smuggling tunnels between the Gaza Strip and Egypt now amounts to an industry, according to UN officials.
4. Israeli officials reject Saudi peace plan revival - Jerusalem Post
Senior Jerusalem officials dismissed on Sunday, a sudden surge of interest both here and abroad in the Arab Peace Initiative, saying it was a function of both a diplomatic process that has stalled and the transition periods in Israel, the US and the Palestinian Authority.
"In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent." (Acts 17:30)
Pray for repentance for yourself and for our nation.
1. Obama Steps Off the Trail - Fox News
Democratic hopeful to cancel nearly all campaign events for two days to visit his suddenly ill grandmother, 85, in Hawaii.
2. FOX News/Rasmussen Poll: McCain Gains in Battlegrounds - Fox News
As Election Day approaches, a recent poll finds McCain gaining ground in two key battleground states - - Florida and Ohio.
3. Biden: Obama Will be 'Tested' by World in First 6 Months of Administration - Fox News
Opening an avenue for the McCain campaign to push its candidate's strengths, Joe Biden says an Obama administration would face an international challenge in its first six months.
4. Obama Shatters Records With Unprecedented Money Grab - Fox News
Barack Obama's campaign contributions -- now more than $600 million -- raise new questions about the influence of money in presidential politics.
5. Obama Praised 'Searing and Timely' Book by Ayers - Fox News
Barack Obama once gave a glowing endorsement of a book by former domestic terrorist William Ayers and was mentioned by name in the book itself.
THE ECONOMY IN CRISIS
For all the headlines below, we lift up this prayer today:
· Please continue to pray over this economic situation. Only the Lord can provide the wisdom needed to redeem the nation. Use your prayer language if you're not sure how to pray.
· "The blessing of the Lord: it maketh rich, and He addeth no sorrow with it." (Proverbs 10:22)
1. What the SEC Is Hiding - Fox News
New details in a report on the collapse of Bear Stearns released by the Office of the Inspector General overseeing the Securities and Exchange Commission, shows not just how dangerously lax the SEC's oversight of Wall Street really was.http://emac.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2008/10/21/the-report-the-sec-doesnt-want-you-to-see/
2. Treasury Names Accounting Firms to Help Manage $700B Rescue Program - Fox News
The Treasury Department announced on Tuesday, that it has hired accounting firms PricewaterhouseCoopers and Ernst & Young to help manage the $700 billion economic-rescue plan. http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/industries/government/treasury-names-accounting-firms-help-manage-b-rescue-program/
3. Stimulus Plan Talk Causes EFT's to Climb - SmartMoney.com
The market got off on the right foot Monday, thanks to a series of optimistic events that happened during the week's first trading session. http://www.smartmoney.com/Investing/ETFs/Stimulus-Plan-Talks-Cause-ETFs-To-Climb&cid=1034/
4. US Rescue Fund Is Likely to Foster Bank Takeovers - Wall Street Journal
The federal government's $250 billion plan to bolster US financial institutions is aimed at persuading healthy banks to lend again, but it's likely to foster further consolidation in the industry, with some banks already saying they intend to use the funds to help make acquisitions.http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122451502937450291.html