· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Election News
· The Economy in Crisis
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Thursday, Oct. 16, 2008
Ohio Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner, filed an appeal with the U.S. Supreme Court over a lower court's ruling that the state has not done enough to prevent fraud associated with mismatched identification of new voter registrants.
· Father, we pray that You will quickly remove the 200,000 discrepancies in Ohio's elections registrations, and set up protections against voter fraud prior to the election. We ask that You not allow any state to get away with policies which perpetuate voter fraud, and that You will post Your Heavenly Host at every polling place across America on election day.
· "Judge me, O God, and plead my cause against an ungodly nation: O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man." (Psalm 43:1)
2. Obama and ACORN: Relationship May Be More Extensive Than Candidate Says
Barack Obama says he only had limited ties to ACORN, and they began in 1995. But other encounters with the group, plus a voter-registration drive he conducted called Project Vote three years earlier, calls his account into question.
· Lord, we continually pray for hidden secrets to be revealed. We also ask that hearts and ears be opened to receive truth and understand its implications.
· "Don't be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins . . ." (Ephesians 5:6 NLT)
3. DOW Plunges 733 Points as New Data Points to Recession - AP
Investors agonizing over a faltering economy sent the stock market plunging all over again Wednesday, after two disheartening reports convinced Wall Street that a recession, if not already here, is inevitable. The market's despair -- fed by a stream of disheartening economic data -- propelled the Dow Jones industrials down 733 points to their second-largest point loss ever, and the major indexes all lost at least 7 percent.
· Lord, thank You that no matter what happens in the economy, You are still our Lord and Savior and will take care of Your people.
· "Nevertheless My lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer My faithfulness to fail." (Psalms 89:33)
4. McCain, Obama Get Tough, Personal in Final Debate - Washington Times
John McCain repeatedly assailed Barack Obama's character and campaign positions on taxes, abortion and more Wednesday night, hoping to transform their final presidential debate into a launching pad for a political comeback. "You didn't tell the American people the truth," he charged.
· Lord, we pray that in all of the debate repercussions, Your righteousness and truth will prevail over media coverage and opinions or polls. We pray that You will visit these candidates in the final days prior to the election and bring salvation and transformation.
· "And they that know Thy name will put their trust in Thee; for Thou, O Lord, hast not forsaken them that seek Thee." (Psalm 9:10)
5. Consumer Prices Flat; Jobless Benefit Claims Drop in September - Fox News
There is finally a little good news for consumers: Consumer prices were flat last month as a drop in costs for gasoline, clothes and new cars, helped to offset rising prices of food and medical care.Meanwhile, new claims for jobless benefits dropped more than expected last week as the impact of two hurricanes in September faded.
· Thank You Lord, for a tiny spot of good news amidst a bleak outlook for America. We know that You make a way where there is no way for Your people.
6. British Government Minister Warns of Terrorist Attack - Newsmax.com
The threat of another major terrorist attack is building in Britain, a government security minister said Tuesday, a day after the House of Lords rejected a measure that would have extended the amount of time police can hold terror suspects without charge.
· Father, we ask that You send Your Holy Spirit to blow over the entire U.K., and that Your mercy will remove the extremist agenda and threats. We pray that Your Heavenly Protection would arise over them and preserve them from any attack by terrorists.
· "I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust." (Psalm 91:2)
7. US Military: No. 2 Al-Qaida Leader in Iraq Killed - ABC News
American soldiers killed the alleged No. 2 leader of al-Qaida in Iraq, a Moroccan who trained in Afghanistan, recruited foreign fighters and ran operations in northern Iraq, where Sunni insurgents remain a potent threat, the U.S. military said Wednesday.
· Father, once again we pray for You to move in a mighty sweep across Iraq, removing false gods and redeeming the people, stabilizing the nation into a free society for all. We thank you for being with US forces in this battle, and we pray that Your continued hand of favor be upon them.
· "For God so loveth the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "'So beginning with the fifteenth day of the seventh month, after you have gathered the crops of the land, celebrate the festival to the LORD for seven days; . . . you are to take choice fruit from the trees, and palm fronds, leafy branches and poplars, and rejoice before the LORD your God for seven days." (Lev 23:39-40)
1. New IAF system will pinpoint Iranian missile targets in Israel - Ha'aretz
The Israel Air Force is developing a computerized system to predict where a missile will land with considerable accuracy, very shortly after it is launched. That would enable the Home Front Command to order people into shelters only in a relatively small area, rather than in broad regions of the country.
2. Christian parade through Jerusalem in support of Israel - USA Today
Thousands of Christians from all over the world descended on central Jerusalem Wednesday in a colorful show of support for Israel.
3. Gas mask handout delayed to late 2009 - Jerusalem Post
Due to budget disputes with the Treasury, the Defense Ministry has been forced to postpone the distribution of gas masks to the public by at least six months to late 2009, The Jerusalem Post has learned.
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)
Pray that the man of God's choice would be given wisdom and ability from the Lord to overcome any obstacle or difficulty during this campaign.
1. Obama and ACORN: Relationship May Be More Extensive Than Candidate Says - Fox News
Barack Obama says he only had limited ties to ACORN, and they began in 1995. But other encounters with the group, plus a voter-registration drive he conducted called Project Vote three years earlier, calls his account into question. http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/16/obama-denies-ties-acorn/
2. Murtha 'Racist' Comment Gives Rival Some Ammo - Fox News
Democratic Rep. John Murtha apologized for his statement that western Pennsylvania is "racist," but Republican rival Bill Russell is using the remark to prove the incumbent has "lost touch" with his district. http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/16/murtha-sorry-calling-western-pennsylvania-racist/
3. Late-Night Comics Skewer Republicans 7-to-1, Study Finds - Fox News
If you're a fan of Jay Leno or David Letterman, you may already know this: You have to listen to seven Republican jokes for every one the late-night comedians tell about Democrats. http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/10/16/late-night-comics-skewer-republicans-seven-study-finds/
THE ECONOMY IN CRISIS
For all the headlines below, we lift up this prayer today: Lord, in this time of noise and confusion, still our hearts to allow us to recognize Your sovereignty in power over the nations of the earth. The stock markets and financial institutions are theoretical powers while You are a real and present comfort to us. Thank You for the plan that You will raise out of this chaos.
· "You do not have to fight this battle. Position yourselves, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD. He is with you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid or discouraged. Tomorrow, go out to face them, for the LORD is with you." (2 Chronicles 20:17)
1. Fed Sends Mixed Messages About Economy - Fox News
On Tuesday, following a steady stream of bad economic news and bold moves by the US government to intervene, the head of the San Francisco branch of the Federal Reserve said the country has slipped into recession. But one day later, the chairman of the board made no such suggestions. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,439161,00.html
2. Dow Plunges 733 as New Data Points to Recession - AP
Investors agonizing over a faltering economy sent the stock market plunging all over again Wednesday after two disheartening reports convinced Wall Street that a recession, if not already here, is inevitable. The market's despair -- fed by a stream of disheartening economic data -- propelled the Dow Jones industrials down 733 points to their second-largest point loss ever, and the major indexes all lost at least 7 percent.
3. Bush Plan to Buy Bank Stocks Should Face Constitutional Challenge, Critic Says - CNS News
Former House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-Texas) said that the Bush administration's plan to buy $250 billion in stock in US banks should be challenged in federal court as unconstitutional.