"Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared." (Proverbs 3:25,26)
1. Mourners Gather at Ground Zero for Sixth Memorial of Sept. 11 Attacks - Fox News
Still-grieving relatives of World Trade Center victims assembled at a lower Manhattan park Tuesday to mark the sixth anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, with gray skies and rain providing a grim backdrop to the first ceremony not held at Ground Zero.
·Lord, Your Word says that those who mourn will be comforted. We pray for all those that are still grieving. Give them the ability to go from strength to strength each day as they trust in you.
·Therefore, the Lord longs to be gracious to you, and therefore He waits on high to have compassion on you. For the Lord is a God of justice; how blessed are all those who long for Him. (Is 30:18)
2. Officials: Bush to Announce Troop Cut - ABC News
President Bush will tell the nation Thursday evening that he plans to reduce the American troop presence in Iraq by as many as 30,000 by next summer but will condition those and further cuts on continued progress, The Associated Press has learned.
· As we move toward new plans for the war, we pray that only Your plans will be implemented! We pray for harmony in our government and for Gen. Petraeus and the troops to have great success.
· Then You spoke in a vision to Your holy one, and said: "I have given help to one who is mighty; I have exalted one chosen from the people. (Psalms 89:19)
3. Full-Page 9/11 Ad Calls On Congress to Win the War - CNSNews.com
One day after the liberal activist group MoveOn ran a full-page ad in the New York Times entitled "General Petraeus or General Betray Us?" a conservative non-profit group ran another full-page ad in the same paper declaring, "Victory is America's only choice" in the war on terror.
· The ad that ran in the New York Times on Monday, calling General Petraeus "General Betrayus," has been a cause of great consternation, both on the Hill and with the American people. As intercessors, our own portion is to ask our Lord to FORGIVE George Soros and the members of Moveon.org for their wickedness, for "they know not what they do." As we ask HIM to forgive these people (for often, we cannot honestly find it in our hearts to forgive them), may the Spirit of Grace begin to visit George Soros and his camp, melting their hearts and turning them towards Him for salvation. Amen!
· "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Eph. 6:12)
4. Dems Taking Cues From Left-Wing Group, McConnell Says - CNSNews.com
Congressional Democrats, responding to pressure from far-left groups such as Moveon.org, are attempting to debunk statistics that point to military progress in Iraq, said Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), the Senate minority leader. "A lot of Democrats have already made up their minds and are not interested in the facts," McConnell said in a conference call on Monday.
· Pray for wisdom for Senator McConnell and others aligned with him, as they confront the Democrats on this issue. May ALL the debate surrounding the war in Iraq be based on FACTS -- not hearsay.
· "He who speaks truth declares righteousness, But a false witness, deceit." (Proverbs 12:17)
5. U.S.: Saudis Still Filling Al Qaeda's Coffers - ABC News
Despite six years of promises, U.S. officials say Saudi Arabia continues to look the other way at wealthy individuals identified as sending millions of dollars to al Qaeda.
· We pray , Lord, that these avenues of millions of dollars that are being used by al Qaeda will dry up immediately. We release that money to go toward building up Iraq. Let the Christians be free to share the gospel.
· For he sees wise men die; likewise the fool and the senseless person perish, and leave their wealth to others. (Psalms 49:10)
6. New Bin Laden tape urges more martyrs - Washington Times
Osama bin Laden urged sympathizers to join the "caravan" of martyrs as he praised one of the September 11 suicide hijackers in a new video that emerged yesterday to mark the sixth anniversary of the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon.
· Pray that Bin Laden's exhortation would fall on deaf ears, and agree with the Word of God that the plans of the wicked shall be foiled and of no effect!
· " . . . they shall fight against you, but they shall not [finally] prevail against you, for I am with you, says the Lord, to deliver you." (Jer. 1:19 AMP)
7. U.S. Officials Begin Crafting Iran Bombing Plan - Fox News
A recent decision by German officials to withhold support for any new sanctions against Iran has pushed a broad spectrum of officials in Washington to develop potential scenarios for a military attack on the Islamic regime, FOX News confirmed Tuesday.
· Lord, we pray that You will be in charge of these plans and that nothing will go through without Your approval. Man may have his plans, but, only God can carry out the plans.
· A man's heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps. (Proverbs 16:9)
8. Russian president dissolves government - AP
Vladimir Putin nominates cabinet official Victor Zubkov to replace current prime minister three months ahead of elections.
· Pray intensively in the Spirit over this report. Only God knows what lies in the hearts of men and kings; and only He knows the outcome of their plans.
· "Pray without ceasing . . ." (I Thess. 5:18)
9. 8.2 Quake Hits Indonesia, Small Tsunami Reported - AP
· As we continue to receive information about this mega-quake, pray for the families of its victims; and for strength for the first-responders in Indonesia who are dealing with its aftermath.
· "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation. Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD." (Leviticus 23:24)
1. Heightened state of alert announced over Rosh Hashana - Ynet News
The security establishment has announced Tuesday the highest state of alert throughout Israel over Rosh Hashana.
2. US confirms Israeli air strike on Syria - London Telegraph
A US official has confirmed that Israeli warplanes carried out an air strike "deep inside" Syria, escalating tensions between the two countries.
3. Report: Israel spots nuclear installations in Syria - Ynet News
Israel believes that North Korea has been supplying Syria and Iran with nuclear materials, a Washington official told the New York Times. "The Israelis think North Korea is selling to Iran and Syria what little they have left," he said.
Congress Blocks NAU Mexican Truck Plan
Congress Blocks North American Union Mexican Truck Experiment--But For The Wrong Reasons
The U.S. Congress has done the right thing for the wrong reasons as it passed on to President George W. Bush veto proof legislation to end the North American Union experiment allowing Mexican trucks free access to United States highways. The Bush Administration's plans for a North American Union that have been steaming ahead met a strong roadblock when the Teamsters Union put its foot down and all its leftist supporters in Congress, mainly the Democratic Party, had to choose between their heart's desire of a Republican-inspired North American Union or receiving huge contributions for the upcoming reelection campaign. No surprise here-- They chose the money over their hearts.
The Teamsters Union public argument centered around public safety. They said that Mexican trucks do not meet the same safety requirements as do American trucks. Mexican truck drivers are not as well qualified as American truck drivers. That's the arguments the public has heard. And these are reasonable and true objections. The real reason, however, behind the Teamsters' opposition to the Mexican trucks is money. Currently, Mexican trucks have to enter a commercial zone along the border and their haul must be transferred to American trucks. Those who are paid to transfer the cargo belong to the Teamsters Union. Many American truckers are Teamsters.
If the Teamsters had a way to make money on the Mexican trucks as they do now, the roadblock would be removed. So it is only a matter of time before the Teamsters figure out how to organize, qualify and bring the Mexican trucks across the border while keeping their union members busy and cash flowing into the Teamster tills. The right reason for defeating the Mexican truck experiment is that it is the official opening of America's borders to the North American Union; the beginning of a threat to the sovereignty of the United States of America. The Republican Senators along the border states, except for Arizona's John McCain, voted to allow the Mexican trucks. They don't receive a lot of money from the Teamsters.
Elected politicians who want to meld the United States into a three-country union are violating their oath to uphold the Constitution. In Biblical times, borders were very important. Sovereignty was an issue worth dying for. In a judgment against Babylon--a nation that looked a lot like modern Am erica--Jeremiah prophesied God's words when he said "Surely, I will fill you with men as with locusts and they shall lift up a battle cry against you (Jeremiah 51:14)." We are a land placed in covenant with God. When we fall far away from God, denying Him and his statutes, His blessings and protections may cease for the nation. Pray and act that you may stand in the gap that He might not destroy the land.
Word of Life Ministry
Renewing Our Resolve
Amid flags at half-mast and a capital city shrouded in clouds, the sixth anniversary of September 11, 2001 has arrived quietly in a nation still divided over the war it provoked. From Ground Zero to the broken ring of the Pentagon, we can't help but remember how many of the fallen were heroes that day. They were men and women on planes, in skyscrapers, charging up stairwells, and digging through rubble. As diverse as they were, the victims had one thing in common--they were all patriots. Today, the spirit of 9-11--that of selfless determination--is still very much alive in our brave troops overseas. Despite months of bickering and distractions at home, our soldiers have carried out their mission valiantly, many of them making the ultimate sacrifice while their fellow citizens, speaking from the safety and comfort they provide, feel free to question what these soldiers are giving their lives for.
While the news is trained on the war, few seem to remember why we're fighting it--not for Iraq but for the liberty Americans so quickly take for granted. Many in this country have forgotten that the best way to honor those who died on September 11--and since--is by upholding the commitment to do everything we can to keep it from happening again. Abandoning the war would be to abandon America's identity. As Anne Applebaum writes today, "Perhaps it's time to take the main message [of Bin Laden] seriously: Al-Queda's long-term goal is to convert Americans and other Westerners to its extreme version of Islam." This is the ultimate struggle between good and evil, the long- standing battle for our ideals of faith, family, and freedom. In the end, this war is not only a military conflict, but a spiritual one. And the entire Western world hangs in the balance. Though, as Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, "I still have faith in America. I still have faith that we will hew out of the mountain of despair, a stone of hope." Let's pray, six years later, that as the stone walls of the Pentagon have been rebuilt and construction is under way at the site of the World Trade Center, so too are we rebuilding our resolve that those who have died in our nation's service will be honored not just in memorial remembrances but in victory over tyranny.
(Tony Perkins' Washington Update; Family Research Council; 9/11/07)
One of our readers has pointed us to this excellent site for weekly prayer requests for our nation. With SO MUCH that is happening in the news right now, we are grateful to know that Pray4theUSA.com is available to help all of us sort through the news and "pray through" the headlines.
Please find below the first five items listed for this week, which were posted on Monday, Sept. 9.
Prayer Points for the United States of America
Updated September 9, 2007
-- Pray for a safe trip home for President Bush as he returns to the U.S. from Australia on September 10.
-- As America marks the sixth anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, pray that we would not forget the lessons of those attacks.
-- Intercede for the spiritual state of our nation, asking the Lord to use the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks to draw us closer to Him.
-- Give thanks to the Lord that we have not suffered an attack on our soil since 9/11. Ask the Lord to continue offering His hand of protection.
-- Lift up the Department of Homeland Security and all other agencies involved in the efforts to protect our nation from terrorist attacks. Ask the Lord to give them wisdom and discernment as they perform their duties.
To sign up for this weekly listing of prayer points, visit their homepage at www.pray4theUSA.com
Shana Tova: Happy New Year!
"And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, In the seventh month in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets (SHOFAR), a holy convocation. Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the Lord." ( Leviticus 23:23-25)
According to the biblical calendar, the Feast of Trumpets this year will start on sunset, September 12. This will be the first day of the seventh Hebrew month, and, according to rabbinical tradition, it is also considered to be the beginning of the new Hebraic civil year, the year 5768, counting from the creation of the world.
The coming weeks will usher in the three Fall Feasts of the Lord. Trumpets, the Day of Atonement and Tabernacles are stacked closely together over a span of 21 intense days, reflecting prophetically the drama unfolding at the closing of this age. This coming year will no doubt bring more turmoil, testing and purging, and this season of feasts presents an invitation for every child of God to reflect, take stock, and gird up our loins for the journey ahead.
(Source: One New Man)
Rosh Hashannah is considered the birthday of the world. The Hebrew word Rosh means 'head' or Beginning, Ha means 'the' and Shannah means "year." Rosh Ha Shannah is the beginning of the 10 High Holy Days or Days of Awe, the Days of Repentance, which end with Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement.
The more common Biblical name is Feast of Trumpets.
(Source: Zion's Cry)
To view a video greeting, go here: