The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple . . . (Psalm 19:7)
1. Senate Passes Resolution Supporting General Petraeus - CNSNews.com
Resolution also condemns Moveon.org The Senate on Thursday passed a Republican- sponsored amendment reaffirming its "full support " for Gen. David Petraeus and "strongly" condemning "personal attacks on the honor and integrity of General Petraeus and all members of the United States Armed Forces." [To see the actual roll call on this vote, go here.}
· Offer praise that over two-thirds of the members of our United States Senate are now calling "good good, and evil, evil." Praise God, too, that General Petraeus has been vindicated from the slander of his enemies. Continue in intercession that every member of the House and the Senate, on every issue in the days ahead, be given "eyes to see" and "ears to hear" what the Spirit would speak to them, and to vote accordingly.
· "And the eyes of them that see shall not be dim, and the ears of them that hear shall hearken. The heart also of the rash shall understand knowledge, and the tongue of the stammerers shall be ready to speak plainly." (Isaiah 32:3,4).
[Editor's note: Last weekend, we asked our readers to CALL YOUR SENATORS on behalf of this measure, which would censure Moveon.org for their tirade against General Petraeus. Praise the Lord!! YOU heard and acted; the Senate heard and responded; and justice has been served. Thank you!]
2. Judge Blocks Opening of Planned Parenthood Clinic - CNSNews.com
A federal judge on Thursday turned down a request from Planned Parenthood to allow its Chicago-area chapter to open a newly built clinic in Aurora, Ill. The judge is waiting for the city government to finish investigating charges that the abortion provider used secrecy and fraud to obtain a building permit.
· Offer praise to the LORD that the courts in our nation are now beginning to rule in favor of RIGHTEOUSNESS. Claim Isaiah 32: 3,4 (above) for our judges, too. Praise God!
· "I will make justice the measuring line and righteousness the plumb line . . . Your covenant with death will be annulled; your agreement with the grave will not stand." (Isaiah 28:16a, 17a)
3. ACLU Loses Bid - The DenverChannel.com
ACLU Loses Bid to Establish Would-Be Transsexual's Right to Use Lady's Room
A federal appeals court in Denver has upheld the dismissal of a lawsuit brought by a male bus driver who said he was wrongly fired for using the women's rooms along his bus route. At the time, he was preparing to undergo a sex change operation.
· Here is yet another example of righteousness reigning in our courtrooms. Praise God!
· "Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord!" (Ps. 150:6)
4. Dems Soften Amnesty Bill, Hope to Win More GOP Support - Houston Chronicle
Senate Democrats may attach an amnesty measure to the must-pass Defense authorization bill if they can round up enough Republican support, the Houston Chronicle reported.
· Pray in the Spirit over all matters related to the various amendments that would impact our immigration policy, now on the floor of the Senate as part of the Defense appropriations bill. Pray that the members be ALERT and not be taken in by stealth measures to pass the same laws that were included in the badly-defeated Comprehensive Immigration Bill last spring in the Senate.
· "Pray without ceasing . . ." (I Thess. 5:18)
5. Bush vows to veto expansion of children's insurance plan - USA Today
President Bush vowed Thursday to veto Democratic plans to expand a health insurance program intended for poor children, sharpening a political confrontation in a way that one Republican senator called disappointing. "Members of Congress," Bush said during a White House news conference, "are putting health coverage for poor children at risk so they score political points in Washington." A Democratic proposal for a more wide-ranging State Children's Health Insurance Program (S-CHIP) is a step toward "government-run health care for every American," Bush said.
· This is another complex issue, but Father God knows ALL the details, and their ramifications. Pray that only His will be done for these children, by means of this legislative agenda, and not that of man.
· "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth, as it is in heaven." (Matt. 6:10)
6. Dubai Agrees To Acquire 20% Stake in Nasdaq Market - Washington Post
Middle Eastern governments announced a series of billion-dollar deals Thursday that would give them stakes in financial institutions at the heart of Western capitalism, raising concerns in Washington about sensitive foreign investments. Separately, Carlyle Group of the District said it was selling a 7.5 percent share of its general ownership to an investment group owned by the government of Abu Dhabi, which like Dubai is part of the oil-rich United Arab Emirates. The Qatar Investment Authority, a government investment fund, said it bought a 20 percent stake in the London Stock Exchange.
· The wolf may very well be at the door this time -- the economic door of our nation. All of our finances really depend upon our treatment of Israel. Will we continue to pursue a policy of dividing their land, and reap the consequences? Pray for a CHANGE in America's policy towards Israel and that we would GIVE UP promoting the "two-state solution" now on the table in Jerusalem. Pray for a miracle!
· "The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases." (Proverbs 21:1)
7. Congress Reacts to Dubai Deal - Washington Post
Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), who heads the congressional Joint Economic Committee, called on Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson Jr. to investigate the deal. Schumer said the Dubai exchange "is majority owned and controlled by the government of Dubai, which has previously been cited as a nexus of terror financing, money laundering, and a potential crossroads for shipping and trading for Iran in their quest for nuclear materials and technology."
· Pray that more questions are raised about this NASDAQ deal by more menbers of the Senate in the days ahead; and for hearings to follow in both the Senate and in the House.
· "If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)
8. Iranian Officer Seized in Iraq - BBC
U.S.-led forces in Iraq said they have arrested an Iranian officer -- a member of the elite Quds Force -- operating in a northern Kurdish city. "This individual has been involved in transporting improvised explosive devices," the BBC quoted the American military as saying.
· Offer praise to the Lord for this victory, and continue in prayer for the success of our military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan as they seek to identify and root out all hidden sites of evil in the land.
· "He reveals the deep things of darkness and brings deep shadows into the light." (Job 12:22)
9. Columbia University to Host Ahmadinejad - AP
Columbia University said it does not plan to call off a speech by Iran's president despite pressure from critics including the City Council speaker, who said the Ivy League school was providing a forum for "hate- mongering vitriol." The State Department calls Iran a state sponsor of terror, and Ahmadinejad has called the Holocaust "a myth" and urged for Israel to be destroyed.
· Offer intensive prayers for the protection of our country as this madman prepares to enter our gates in New York City. May his words fall on deaf ears.
· "How long will the wicked, O LORD, how long will the wicked be jubilant? They pour out arrogant words; all the evildoers are full of boasting. . . But the LORD has become my fortress, and my God the rock in whom I take refuge. He will repay them for their sins and destroy them for their wickedness; the LORD our God will destroy them." (Psalm 94:3,4,22,23)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"I love the Lord, for He heard my voice; He heard my cry for mercy. Because He turned His ear to me, I will call on Him as long as I live." (Psalm 116:1-2)
1. Yom Kippur Begins Tonight - Capitol Hil Prayer Partners
From one hour before sunset this Friday evening, until at least two stars are visible in the sky the following night, is the Day of Atonement on the LORD's calendar. This is the most sacred day of the whole year. During this time we are commanded in the Bible to deny ourselves and not eat or drink for twenty-five hours. The time is spent in prayer and repentance. This year Yom Kippur falls on a regular Shabbat. (Source: The Elijah Prayer Army)
[Read More -- from Kadesh-MAP Ministries] · Lord God, may we as Covenant Believers, join with our Jewish friends in observing this most holy and sacred day. May we each take the time in these next 24 hours to fast and to pray and to seek Your face for any sin that remains in our lives, that we might come to You, asking for cleansing and forgiveness, in Jesus' (Yeshua's) name. Amen.
· "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (I John 1:9)
2. IDF on alert in north as Yom Kippur begins - Jerusalem Newswire
The Israel Defense Forces upped their alert level along the Syrian border Friday, determined to secure the nation against Arab military adventurism as the Jewish people prepared to observe their annual Day of Atonement (Yom HaKippurim). According to _The Jerusalem.
3. Could Syria Attack Israel on Yom Kippur? - DEBKAfile
Close Assad aide reiterates that Syria will respond to Israeli attack at a time and place of its choosing. Read More
4. Iran Draws Up Plans to Bomb Israel - AP
The deputy commander of Iran's air force said Wednesday that plans have been drawn up to bomb Israel if the Jewish state attacks Iran, according to the semi-official Fars news agency.
5. 'Dozens died in Syrian-Iranian chemical weapons experiment' - Jane's Defence Weekly
Proof of cooperation between Iran and Syria in the proliferation and development of weapons of mass destruction was brought to light Monday in a Jane's Defence Weekly report that dozens of Iranian engineers and 15 Syrian officers were killed in a July 23 accident in Syria.
6. New Push for Israeli-Palestinian Peace Not Likely to Succeed, Analysts Say - CNSNews.com
While the current U.S.-sponsored push for Israel-Palestinian peace may be noble, it is not likely to succeed, analysts here and in the U.S. are saying.
6. Israel, U.S. Shared Data On Suspected Syrian Nuclear Site - Washington Post
Bush Was Told of North Korean Presence in Syria, Sources Say
Israel's decision to attack Syria on Sept. 6, bombing a suspected nuclear site set up in apparent collaboration with North Korea, came after Israel shared intelligence with President Bush this summer indicating that North Korean nuclear personnel were in Syria, U.S. government sources said. Read More
PROTEST PLANNED AT U.N.
Iran President Ahmadenijad Scheduled to Speak to General Assembly on Monday
On Monday, September 24th, the face of evil in the modern world will be coming to America and entering our Metropolitan area on our Watch. On that day, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is scheduled to arrive in New York to address the United Nations General Assembly.
This man must not be permitted to enjoy the dignity that will accompany the visits of other world leaders. We must show Ahmadinejad that we do not forget his persistent denials of the Nazi Holocaust and his repeated threats to perpetrate a second Holocaust by wiping Israel off the map. We must show him that we do not forgive his energetic support of Hezbollah and Hamas terrorists. And we must demonstrate to him that we will not permit him to achieve his dream of developing nuclear weapons which he has threatened to use not only against Israel, but also against America.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad must be met with the loudest of protests by not only the Jewish community, but also by The Church - Christian leaders and lay people - from all over this greater metropolitan area and beyond. So next MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24TH, as Ahmadinejad speaks at the UN, there will be a MASSIVE PROTEST RALLY across the street. The rally will be AT DAG HAMMARSKJOLD PLAZA ON 47TH STREET BETWEEN 1ST AND 2ND AVENUE IN MANHATTAN, RAIN OR SHINE.
It is urgent that as Christian leaders - given the responsibility before God for our people, our cities, our nation - that we mobilize our congregations and networks to take a stand against genocide and anti- Semitism by participating in this united protest. Get the word out NOW! Begin the essential prayer coverage - individually and corporately - as soon as you read this. Urge your people to TAKE OFF WORK for this! Encourage them to TAKE THEIR CHILDREN WITH THEM! Announce this NEED FOR A VISIBLE CHRISTIAN PRESENCE AND UNITED STATEMENT on September 24th to your church this Sunday, and make the practical arrangements to physically get them there as well. It is URGENT as Disciples of Christ - that we ACT as "salt and light" in this age -- that we visibly and vocally reflect the God that we worship in both spirit AND in deed.
Across from the United Nations at the Dag Hammarskjold Plaza on 47th Street between 1st and 2nd Avenue in Manhattan. (Subways: 4, 5, 6, or 7 to Grand Central Station)
PICK UP FREE SIGNS TO IDENTIFY YOURSELVES AS CHRISTIANS UNITED FOR ISRAEL AT 2ND AVE. & 45TH STREET.
IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT EVERY CHRISTIAN WHO COMES - EACH INDIVIDUAL - CARRIES A SIGN, AS A MESSAGE THAT THE JEWISH PEOPLE ARE NOT ALONE.
These signs are provided courtesy of Action Graphics, Inc. (www.actiongraphicsnj.com) and Eagles' Wings Ministries. An Eagles' Wings representative will be distributing signs which will be returned to the same pickup location after the event.
TIME: 11:15 AM - 2:00 PM
PLEASE ARRIVE PROMPTLY TO PICK UP YOUR SIGNS!
CUFI is co-sponsoring this event under the leadership of the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish organizations. We urge everyone who can make it to join us there. For more information contact: Conference of Presidents at 212- 318-6111 or firstname.lastname@example.org JCRC at 212-983-4800 x 161 or email@example.com
Iran's Other Proxy War Against the West
Tehran's Troublemaking in Afghanistan
America's leaders have focused much more intensely in recent weeks on Iran's deepening role in Iraq, where U.S. officials say the Islamic Republic is helping expand the scope and lethality of the insurgency against the U.S.-led coalition. In their testimonies before Congress last week, General David Petraeus and Ambassador Ryan Crocker both delineated Iran's malignant political and strategic role in the former Ba'athist state.
Increasingly, however, Iran is working its destabilizing magic on another front in the War on Terror as well. Quietly, and away from the public eye, Iran's ayatollahs are attempting to subvert the fragile, pro- Western government of President Hamid Karzai in Afghanistan.
Evidence of an Iranian hand in the former Taliban stronghold is mounting. Over the summer, the Iranian regime suddenly announced that it was expelling thousands of Afghan migrants - many of them former Taliban fighters - from its soil. The reason, observers say, was two-fold. "First, Iran wanted to weaken Sunni- led insurgents in its bordering areas," analyst Syed Saleem Shahzad wrote in the Asia Times in July. "[S] econd, it believed that the return of the refugees would fuel the Taliban-led insurgency in Afghanistan."
Then, on September 6, NATO forces in Afghanistan grabbed an Iranian arms shipment intended for Taliban fighters. The thwarted delivery, which included sophisticated explosives such as armor-piercing bombs, was part of what U.S. and European officials say is a growing stream of arms flowing from the Islamic Republic to the ousted Islamist movement.
Iranian officials formally denied the allegations, but Western policymakers say that the reasons for the increasing collusion between Shi'ite Iran and its former Sunni ideological adversary are practical. "They're playing with the enemy," one coalition official told the Washington Post. "They have no love lost for the Taliban. The Taliban killed several Iranian diplomats. We believe it's about hurting the Americans and the international community."
All of which begs the question: are the Americans, and the international community, prepared to do anything about it?
Source: www.committeeonthepresentdanger.org. P.O. Box 33249, Washington DC 20003-3249
Contact: Larry Haas, firstname.lastname@example.org. 202 257-9592
Senate Condemns Moveon.org
. . . after a week of foot-dragging and delay, the Senate finally went on the record today condemning the ad and expressing its support for our troops. While the vote was overwhelming, 72-to-25, it should have been unanimous. We will post the vote on our online Congressional Scorecard at http://www.cwfpac.com so you can see how your senators voted.
My friends, we are a nation at war and this vote ought to be a wake-up call for all Americans who want to win the struggle against Islamofascism. The anti-war movement, led by MoveOn.org, is infested with socialists who have made common cause with radical Islam. Yet, all 25 "No" votes on this resolution came from the Democrat Party. Half of the Democrat majority in the United States Senate could not bring itself to stand up to these radicals who viciously smeared a decorated hero who has served our country in three wars.
Let me tell you who just some of these 25 senators were:
-- Democrat Leader Harry Reid of Nevada
-- Democrat Whip Dick Durbin of Illinois
-- Senators Ted Kennedy and John Kerry of Massachusetts
-- Senator Carl Levin of Michigan, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee
-- Senator Chuck Schumer of New York, who is waging a "jihad" against conservative judges
-- Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia, the largest recipient of contributions from MoveOn.org
-- Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton, the Democrat frontrunner for commander- in-chief.
Friends, this is the leadership -- the most senior, visible and vocal members -- of today's Democrat Party!
What happened to the party of Harry Truman, who dropped "The Bomb" to end World War II? What happened to the party of John Kennedy, who told the world that America would "pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty"?
It is disgraceful that Democrat leaders have become such petty partisans, so beholden to radical special interest groups, that they cannot stand up for our heroes and soldiers. And if Hillary Clinton cannot stand up to the radicals at MoveOn.org, can we trust her to stand up to the radical Islamists? If she will not defend our heroes, how can we trust her to defend America?
(Gary Bauer, End-of- Day, Sept. 20, 2007)
"On Capitol Hill This Week" (the OCAP) will NOT be published on Monday, Sept. 24.
Instead, be looking for another Legislative Update from us, researched and written by Tim McGhee, over the weekend.