1. In Surprise Visit To Iraq, Bush Says It's 'Possible' To Start Bringing Troops Home - Fox News
During a surprise visit to Iraq, President Bush on Monday addressed a military base in what was once a Sunni insurgent stronghold, saying it would be possible to reduce troops in Iraq if progress being made there continues. Bush received a "hoorah" when he said he would not base his deployment decision on "nervous reaction by Washington politicians to poll results in the media. "Every day you are successful here in Iraq draws nearer to the day when America can begin calling you and your fellow servicemen home," Bush said.
·Dear Commander of the heavenly hosts, we ask You to continue granting wisdom to our commander-in-chief, George W. Bush as he leads our nation in the final 17-months of his presidency. Thank You for a confident leader who truly cares for his troops. May the evil one be vanquished in Iraq, throughout our nation, and the universe that You created!
·"The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge." (Psalm 46: 7 NKJV)
2. Category 5 Hurricane Felix Makes Nicaraguan Landfall Amidst Other Storms - Fox News and The Weather Channel
Hurricane Felix made landfall this morning as a category 5 hurricane with winds of 160 mph, in extreme northeastern Nicaragua near Punta Gorda; just south of the Nicaragua/Honduras border. Tropical downpours are expected over the mountainous terrain of Nicaragua and Honduras, producing life-threatening flash flooding and triggering mudslides well away from the coast.
In the Eastern Pacific, Hurricane Henriette continues as a Category 1 hurricane, and is expected to make a landfall this afternoon along the southern Baja California Coast. The remnant moisture from Henriette will likely bring rain and thunderstorms to the Southwest United States.
And, in the Western Pacific, Typhoon Fitow is expected to make landfall early Thursday morning (Eastern time) or late Thursday night (Tokyo time) along the southern coast of Japan, just west of Tokyo. All vacation and business interests in and around Tokyo are being advised to monitor Fitow closely.
· Again, our gracious Lord, we humbly ask You to calm the seas and strengthen our belief in You! Increase our faith that You are using these calamities to establish Your Kingdom on earth as it is in Heaven! May those in harm's way find You as their Protector!
· "'For a mere moment I have forsaken you, but with great mercies I will gather you. With a little wrath I hid My face from you for a moment; but with everlasting kindness I will have mercy on you,' says the Lord, your Redeemer." (Isaiah 54: 7-8 NKJV)
3. California Heat Wave Causes Power Shortages, Extreme Weather Grips State - Fox News
With temperatures expected to be well above 100 degrees again in many valley and desert areas of Southern and Central California, state officials are appealing to residents to turn down their air conditioners and hold off on using major appliances until after dark. California's plight is being compounded by humidity as moisture moves in from the south, causing concerns about sudden thunderstorms. Flash-flood warnings have been issued for many valley, mountain, and desert areas. A funnel cloud touched down in the Antelope Valley desert, but no one was hurt.
· Dear Father of Creation, You have told us that in the last days we would see signs and wonders...and here, in "Sunny" California, there are weather aberrations never seen before! May many cry out to You for relief and come to know Your Son as their Savior because of these conditions. May California's leadership and people turn to You for help. We pray this for Your glory! Amen.
· "Then Jesus said to him, 'Unless you people see signs and wonders, you will by no means believe.'" (John 4: 48 NKJV)
4. Russian Bombers To Fire Missiles Over Arctic - London Telegraph
President Vladimir Putin flexed Russia's military muscles once again yesterday when his government said that 12 Tu-95 strategic bombers would practice firing cruise missiles during a two-day exercise over the Arctic. The dispatching of these antiquated bombers is seen as another effort to extend Russian influence over the Arctic, which is reported to have untapped mineral wealth. Russia also has dispatched a scientific expedition to the polar ice-cap, and last month a submarine dropped the national flag on the seabed beneath the North Pole.
· Follow the money. Dear Lord, we know that this is the true reason why Russia is seeking dominance over the very North Pole that You own and created! May President Putin and the Russian leadership's arrogant "power grabs" be stopped by You. May they learn to seek You first, so that they might be saved and receive whatever precious gifts You have in mind for them, including salvation!
· "Seek the Lord, all you meek of the earth, who have upheld His justice. Seek righteousness, seek humility. It may be that you will be hidden in the day of the Lord's anger." (Zephaniah 2: 3 NKJV)
5. Chinese Military Hacked Into Pentagon - Financial Times
The Chinese military hacked into a Pentagon computer network in June in the most successful cyber attack on the US defense department, say American officials. Also acknowledged was an internal investigation that revealed an incursion came from China's People's Liberation Army (PLA). One senior US official said the Pentagon had pinpointed the exact origins of the attack. Another person familiar with the event said there was a very high level of confidence--trending towards total certainty; that the PLA was responsible. The defense ministry in Beijing declined to comment on Monday. Read Note
· Gracious Lord, we thank You that You never sleep! We humbly ask You to continue to reveal all security threats to our nation's governmental and military leaders, and that they will know and acknowledge that the information could have only come from You!
·"Be anxious for nothing." (Philippians 4: 6a NKJV)
6. Human-Animal Embryo Study Wins Approval - London Guardian
Plans to allow British scientists to create human-animal embryos are expected to be approved tomorrow by the government's fertility regulator. The Human Fertilization and Embryology Authority (HFEA), published its long-awaited public consultation on the controversial research yesterday, revealing that a majority of people, 61%, were "at ease" with scientists creating the hybrid embryos. Researchers want to create hybrid embryos by merging human cells with animal eggs, in the hope they will be able to extract valuable embryonic stem cells from them. The cells form the basic building blocks of the body and are expected to pave the way for revolutionary therapies for diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and even spinal cord injuries.
· Father, we have to ask forgiveness for British researchers and regulatory bodies who want to build upon your creation for economic gain. May You show them without a doubt that such deviant experimentation has dire consequences! We ask that they may they come to know You as their Savior and repent of their sins!
·"The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." (Zephaniah 2: 11 NKJV)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our Maker; for He is our God and we are the people of His pasture, the flock under His care. Today, if you hear His voice." (Psalm 95:6-7)
1. Livni warns Rice: Summit could fail due to unreasonable goals - Ha'aretz
Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni has begun formulating "realistic" goals for the Washington Mideast summit scheduled for November. In recent conversations with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and in a meeting last Monday with Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Salam Fayad, Livni said that all of the parties would serve to benefit from reasonable expectations for the summit. Unreasonable goals would cause the conference to end in failure, she said.
2. 7 Qassams land near Sderot Monday morning - Ynet News
While thousands of children were making their way to school Monday morning, the Color Red alert was heard in Sderot, followed by two loud explosions. Two Qassam rockets landed outside of town, causing no injuries or damage.
3. Babies evacuated as Kassam hits Sderot day care center courtyard - Jerusalem Post
Soldiers scrambled to evacuate babies from a day care center in rocket-scarred Sderot on Monday after a projectile fired by Palestinian militants thudded into the courtyard.
4. Abbas: Mideast summit will fail if no prior agreement is reached - Ha'aretz
Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas said on Sunday he wanted the upcoming Middle East conference to result in a framework agreement for Israeli-Palestinian peace and set a timeline for implementation.
5. IDF to resume targeted killings against Islamic Jihad leaders - Jerusalem Post
The political echelon on Tuesday instructed the IDF to resume targeted killings against Islamic Jihad leaders in order to combat the persistent Kassam rocket attacks on the western Negev, Army Radio reported on Tuesday morning.
6. Olmert: Palestinians will pay for Qassams - Ynet News
Israel's reaction to Qassam rocket fire on the Negev region has already taken a heavy toll on Palestinians, and it will take an even heavier toll on them in the future, according to Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.
7. Hamas: We fired US weapons at Israel - Ynet News
Hamas and other Palestinian terror organizations in the Gaza Strip utilized American and international weaponry to attack the Jewish state on Sunday, top terror leaders claimed to WND.