"Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked, for the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared." (Proverbs 3:25,26)
1. Bush to start pullout - Washington Times
President Bush last night said the U.S. military"s success in Iraq has made it possible to begin withdrawing some troops but noted that future withdrawals will be based on continued success and renewed his call on Iraqi leaders to take control of their country. The president said 5,700 U.S. troops would return home by Christmas. He also said that five combat brigades, out of the 20 in Iraq, would be withdrawn by next summer, without saying exactly how many troops that would be.
· Lord we seek You to secure Iraq. We pray for the Iraqi forces to be strengthened to control their country. We thank You for the wisdom in gradually withdrawing troops. Bless our military with success and protection.
· He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. (Is. 40:29)
2. Democrats Plan to Press for Larger Troop Reductions - USA Today
..WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates raised the possibility Friday of cutting U.S. troop levels in Iraq to 100,000 by the end of next year, well beyond the cuts President Bush has approved.
Congressional Democrats plan to press for larger U.S. troop reductions in Iraq than President Bush promised in his speech Thursday night, but the top Senate Republican predicted they won't have the votes to alter the White House proposal.
· Lord, let wisdom excel among our leaders. Bring the patience and perseverance to accomplish all goals in Iraq. We seek Your will and purpose for Iraq that they may be blessed.
· And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. (Gal. 6:9)
3. U.S. General: Iranian Missile Used in Attack on U.S. Base in Iraq - Fox News
A fatal attack launched two days ago against the sprawling headquarters base of the American military in Iraq was carried out with a 240 mm rocket -- a type of weapon provided to Shiite extremists by Iran, a U.S. general said Thursday.
· The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? The Lord taketh my part with them that help me: therefore shall I see my desire upon them that hate me. Thou hast thrust sore at me that I might fall; but the Lord helped me. The Lord is my strength and song, and is become my salvation. ( Ps. 118:6-7,13-14)
4. Cocaine flow to 26 cities curbed - USA Today
Tough action by Mexico is driving down the cocaine supply in 26 U.S. cities, a recently declassified Drug Enforcement Administration analysis shows, an encouraging drop in narcotics crossing the border that law enforcement officials hope will continue.
· Thank You, Lord, for this decline. We continue to pray for the illegal drug market to collapse. We cry out for deliverance over those in our nation that have turned to drugs. May Your name be lifted high as" Deliverer".
· Depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity, for the Lord hath heard the voice of my weeping. The Lord hath heard my supplication; the Lord will receive my prayer. Let all mine enemies be ashamed and sore vexed: let them return and be ashamed suddenly. ( Ps. 6:8-10)
5. Most think founders wanted Christian USA - USA Today
Most Americans believe the nation's founders wrote Christianity into the Constitution, and people are less likely to say freedom to worship covers religious groups they consider extreme, a poll reveals this week.
· Thank You, Lord, for a nation established on biblical principles. We praise You that in the heart of most people, Christianity is the foundation of our Constitution. We ask protection from laws that are designed to change the freedoms You gave America.
· For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God. (1 John 5:4,5)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation. Ye shall do no servile work therein: but ye shall offer an offering made by fire unto the LORD." (Leviticus 23:24)
1. Israel's Sudanese Refugee Dilemma - CBN News
Imagine what's it's like for men, women, and children to cross hundreds of miles of desert to find safety. That's the story behind hundreds of Sudanese refugees now living in Israel.
2. 'Syria will respond in due time' - Jerusalem Post
Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Megdad on Thursday said Damascus was "not considering any response" to Israel's alleged invasion of Syrian airspace last week.
3. Turkish intelligence assisted IDF in attack on Syria - Ynet News
Turkish intelligence provided Israel with information on the Syrian targets allegedly attacked by the Air Force last week without the Turkish government's authorization, Kuwaiti newspaper Al-Jareeda reported Thursday.
4. IDF enters southern Gaza - Ynet News
IDF forces entered the Gaza Strip Friday morning, and operated near the Sufa crossing in the southern Strip.