CHPP Daily Brief: "Praying for All in Authority" Tuesday, February 16, 2016
Please note: This special edition is devoted
to the news surrounding the death of Chief
Justice Antonin Scalia. We will publish
the regular Brief later today. Thank you.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Tuesday, February 16, 2016
The Passing of Chief Justice Antonin Scalia
"Judges and officers shalt thou make thee in all thy gates, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, tribe by tribe; and they shall judge the people with righteous judgment." (Deuteronomy 16:18)
"Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted." (Matthew 5:4)
Honoring Chief Justice Antonin Scalia
This week, many here in our nation's capital and across our nation are in mourning . . .mourning for the loss of a great man, Chief Justice Antonin Scalia.
Justice Scalia stood as a giant among his colleagues: a man of affable personality but one who carried the swift sword of truth in all matters relating to the United States Constitution.
Over these many years, no one has so staunchly and consistently upheld the Constitution and the Rule of Law in our nation as Chief Justice Antonin Scalia. He will be greatly missed.
We join you in lifting up his wife of 55 years, Maureen, as well as his nine children and 28 grandchildren as each one grieves the passing of this beloved husband, father and grandfather. May each one, too, know the comforting presence of our Savior in this time of loss.
We continue, too, to pray with each one of you, thanking God that He has not abandoned us, and that, as we humbly bow before Him, He will indeed continue to steer and direct our great nation for His Kingdom purposes.
In Christ we pray,
Sara Ballenger, President
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
The Passing of Chief Justice Anotonin Scalia
The Passing of Chief Justice Anotonin Scalia
1. Senior U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas ranch - MySanAntonio.com
Associate Justice Antonin Scalia was found dead of apparent natural causes Saturday on a luxury resort in West Texas, federal officials said. Scalia, 79, was a guest at the Cibolo Creek Ranch, a resort in the Big Bend region south of Marfa.
Scalia arrived at the 30,000-acre ranch on Friday and attended a private party with about 40 people that night, according to a federal official. He left the party and retired to bed earlier than others, according to Donna Sellers, a spokeswoman with the U.S. Marshals Service.
When he failed to appear at breakfast, a person involved with the ranch went to his room, where he discovered his body. A priest was called to administer last rites. (Read more)
- Father, our hearts are grieved at the loss of this great man, but we know his widow and children are suffering from the loss even more. We pray for a great covering of the Holy Spirit upon them to bring comfort at this time. Lord, may they remember the good times they have had with him and may the fact that Justice Scalia lived a worthy life before You and an honorable life in service to his country be a comfort also. Bless his widow, children, and grandchildren with the support they need at this time. Thank You, Lord, for the life of this man.
- "And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he should abide with you forever;" (John 14:16)
2. Scalia: The best justice of our generation - WND
Antonin Scalia, a stalwart of constitutionalism on a Supreme Court too often marked by a majority who believed they were the law of the land, is gone. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who loved him most - his family and close friends.
But, truly, today Americans have reason to pray for their country in his absence. It's a dark day for the Constitution and the rule of law.
Darker still because his successor could be named by a president who is salivating at the opportunity to appoint Scalia's polar opposite to the court.
There is only one thing that can stop him: The U.S. Senate. (Read more)
- Precious Lord, we not only grieve for his family's loss, but we also grieve for the loss to our country of someone who stood fast in using and defending the Constitution in his judicial rulings in our county. We have been blessed by his accurate understanding of our laws and their original intent as formulated by the authors of our Constitution. In the name of Jesus, we bind up any replacement for him that does not stand for those ideals and ask You to oversee this process.
- "And said to the judges, take heed what ye do: for ye judge not for man, but for the Lord, who is with you in the judgment." (2 Chronicles 19:6)
3. Justice Antonin Scalia: A Justice Who Changed the Course of Law, Turned History - CNSNews.com
Antonin Gregory Scalia has died. For some, it is the painful loss of a husband or father. For those who knew him, it is the loss of a good friend. For law students, it is the loss of a justice who wrote opinions with rigorous analysis, clarity of expression, and at times an acerbic wit.
For conservatives, it is the loss of a standard-bearer and icon. For liberals, it is the loss of an opponent who always fought hard but fair.
For those who never had the opportunity to know him, it is the loss of one of our greatest legal minds, of a judge and justice who had made, and will continue to make, legal history. And to those who were privileged to know him, it is the loss of a wonderful human being. Scalia taught us that the law matters, that the law is the written word, and that the written word takes its meaning from how history understands it, not what we wish it might mean.
For him, the law was a tablet whose meaning could be discerned by focusing on the meaning of the words it contained, rather than by asking ourselves what we want it to mean. The latter, he said, was the stuff of politics, not law, and he drew a line in the sand between the two. He maintained that view of a judge's role even when it was unfashionable to hold that belief because it may lead to outcomes we may not like. But he believed that it was his duty to uphold the rule of law, because only that rule separated us from the many nations on the Earth governed by the rule of might. (Read more)
- Thank You God for allowing our nation the privilege of having Justice Scalia serve on our Supreme Court. We ask You to do it again Lord! Bring forth another defender of Your laws and of our Constitution. In Jesus' Name. Amen.
- "When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice, but when a wicked man rules the people groan." (Proverbs 29:2)
4. FLASHBACK: Justice Scalia: 'I Even Believe in the Devil' - CNSNews.com
Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said he believes in the Devil as a living entity, "a real person," and that the Devil is "smart" and "successful" in today's world by convincing people to not believe in him or in God. "I even believe in the Devil," and "yeah, he's a real person," Scalia told writer Jennifer Senior in an interview for New York magazine published on Oct. 6, 2013. "Hey, come on, that's standard Catholic doctrine," said Scalia, who is Catholic. "Every Catholic believes that."
When asked what evidence there is of the Devil in today's world, Scalia, who has served on the high court for 27 years, said, "You know, it's curious. In the Gospels, the Devil is doing all sorts of things. He's making pigs run off cliffs, he's possessing people and whatnot. And that doesn't happen much anymore." "It's because he's smart," said the justice. "What he's doing now is getting people not to believe in him or in God. He's much more successful that way." (Read more)
- Praise You, Lord, for the example of this prominent man who openly displays his Biblical faith in You in the public square. What a joy to have had this man to hold such a high position. Thank You that Justice Scalia acknowledged You in all his ways and that the promotions he received came from You. His memory is blessed because he honored You. We pray that all who attain this high office in our land will be of like mind and spirit. Hear our prayer, Oh Lord! In Jesus' name we pray, amen and amen.
- "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have they that do his commandments: his praise endureth forever." (Psalms 111:10)
5. Conspiracy theories swirl around the death of Antonin Scalia - Washington Post
Two days after Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia died suddenly in remote West Texas, a former D.C. homicide commander is raising questions about how the death was handled by local and federal authorities.
"As a former homicide commander, I am stunned that no autopsy was ordered for Justice Scalia," William O. Ritchie, former head of criminal investigations for D.C. police, wrote in a post on Facebook on Sunday.
The manager of the El Paso funeral home that handled Scalia's body said Scalia's family insisted against an autopsy. But the decision has spawned a host of conspiracy theories online, as well as skeptical questions from law enforcement experts such as Ritchie.
"You have a Supreme Court Justice who died, not in attendance of a physician," he wrote. "You have a non-homicide trained US Marshal tell the justice of peace that no foul play was observed. You have a justice of the peace pronounce death while not being on the scene and without any medical training opining that the justice died of a heart attack. What medical proof exists of a myocardial Infarction? Why not a cerebral hemorrhage?"
Ritchie also raised questions about the marshals' actions. "How can the Marshal say, without a thorough post mortem, that he was not injected with an illegal substance that would simulate a heart attack? Did the US Marshal check for petechial hemorrhage in his eyes or under his lips that would have suggested suffocation? Did the US Marshal smell his breath for any unusual odor that might suggest poisoning? My gut tells me there is something fishy going on in Texas." (Read more)
- Father, Under Your authority we decree that all things hidden will come to light and that Your truth will reign over the earth in this matter. We ask that You send the Holy Spirit to comfort Chief Justice Scalia's family. In Jesus Name, Amen.
- "It is He who reveals the profound and hidden things: he knows what is in the darkness, And the light dwells with Him." (Daniel 2:22)
6. Urgent calls begin for Scalia autopsy - WND
The seemingly quick conclusion that Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia died of "natural causes" is prompting calls for an autopsy and toxicological reports. William Gheen, president of the Americans for Legal Immigration political action committee, noted the media's "rush" to proclaim Scalia's death in a rented room in a resort in Texas as either "natural causes" or heart attack within hours of the discovery of his body Saturday morning.
"Anytime a head of state, member of Congress, or the most conservative member of the U.S. Supreme Court is found dead, an extensive autopsy and toxicology examination should be both immediate and mandatory," said Gheen. "The horrid reaction and comments about his death expressed by many liberals online illustrate that Scalia was hated by many people."
Gheen said Scalia's death "hands the power of the Supreme Court to the modern left for the first time in American history. The court can now vote, even without a replacement of Scalia, to radically change the United States of America," he said. "Scalia's death means the Supreme Court is now very likely to rubber stamp Obama's unconstitutional amnesty orders, tear down Republican drawn districts in many states including North Carolina, and take deep left turns on abortion, gun rights, or anything the liberals have ever dreamed of. Scalia was a solid vote against Obama's immigration orders to be decided by April of this year.
"We do not contend there is a conspiracy, we contend that there should be no doubts, and the way authorities and the media are rushing conclusions will leave major doubts and legitimate concerns about a death that could lead to a radical political transformation of America to the left," said Gheen. (Read more)
- Father God, we are deeply grieved for the Scalia family, the Supreme Court and our nation. We do ask that a thorough autopsy be undertaken, so that any and all details of Scalia's passing be made known. We pray that You would sovereignly move to guide our court and cover the selection of Justice Scalia's replacement with the blood of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open." (Mark 4:22)
7. Is Obama Entitled to Appoint Scalia Replacement? - The Jewish Press
Many U.S. presidential campaign watchers immediately noted that Scalia's loss from the bench meant an opportunity for President Barack Obama to name another justice. Given that the Court has been fairly evenly balanced for a long time, the chance for Obama to name someone whom he would consider appropriate to replace the far-right wingman of the Court is enough to scare the pants off anyone with a decidedly different political orientation.
The two real gatekeepers to the Supreme Court bench - both Republicans - within hours of being notified of Scalia's death, both issued statements that the next appointment to the Supreme Court should be made by the next president.
As noted in our earlier article, the chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Charles Grassley (R-IA), issued a statement that sought to undercut those suggesting this president - that is, Obama - should be the one to fill the vacancy. After praising Scalia's intellect and orientation, Grassley made clear that as far as he was concerned, the current lame duck president would not be the one to name Scalia's replacement. Grassley grounded that position by noting "it's been standard practice over the last 80 years to not confirm Supreme Court nominees during a presidential election year." (Read more)
- We ask Father that You appoint the one who will name the new Justice. We cover this with the precious blood of Jesus. Lord, we call out to You for a person of righteous character to balance the scales of good and evil. Grant Your people wisdom, In Jesus Name, Amen
- "Let the heavens declare His righteousness, For God Himself is Judge." (Psalm 50:6)
8. Scalia to lie in repose at SCOTUS - The Hill
The late Justice Antonin Scalia will reportedly lie in repose at the Supreme Court on Friday ahead of a Saturday funeral.
Services for Scalia will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, according to an NPR report, which cited sources close to the Scalia family. (Read more)
- Father God, we thank You that this great man will be honored by lying in state in the Court he so loved and devoted most of his life to serving. May He now rest in peace, amen.
- "Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted." (Matthew 5:4)
9. Judiciary chairman: No decision on hearing for SCOTUS nominee - The Hill
The Republican chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee says he hasn't made a decision about whether to hold a confirmation hearing for President Obama's Supreme Court nominee. "I would wait until the nominee is made before I would make any decisions. . . In other words, take it a step at a time," Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) told reporters, according to Radio Iowa.
Grassley is weighing in as Republicans mostly fall in line behind Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's (R-Ky.) push to have the next president fill the Supreme Court seat left vacant by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia. A confirmation hearing before the Judiciary Committee would be a first step toward getting a nominee through the Senate, and it would likely be used by Democrats to pressure Republicans for a floor vote.
Grassley, who is up for reelection in November, said over the weekend that it's "standard practice" for the Senate to not confirm Supreme Court nominees during an election year. He doubled down on that Tuesday, adding that "this is a very serious position" that would best be filled by whoever wins the White House in November. (Read more)
- Pray that President Obama will not fill this important position during this week's Senate recess, but rather to allow the proper process to take place. Pray for God's perfect timing of the seating of a new Justice. (from Dutch Sheets)
- "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens . . ." (Eccl. 3:1)
The Daily Jot
Monday, February 15, 2016
The solution is prophetic, not political
With the death of conservative Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, many are fearful for the future of our nation. Certainly, polls indicating that younger Americans prefer socialism to capitalism and that Christians are trying to find their footing with the presidential race, put a lot at stake for this nation. At no time in recent history has the value of life, family and security been so at threat. As a prophetic people living in prophetic times, if faith is placed in political solutions, there will be tremendous disappointment. While we must hold politicians accountable, we also must understand that there is a greater plan that the Lord has for the world, even our nation, and we have an important role to play.
When Jesus arrived in Jerusalem on what became known as Palm Sunday, many believed he was the promised King who would reestablish the kingdom for the Jews. The politicians of the day by and large saw him as a threat and plotted to kill him. When the people figured out that he wasn't there to overthrow the government, they were disappointed. In Matthew 24, the disciples asked him when shall these things be. He replied first, "Take heed that no man deceive you." They asked again before his ascension in Acts 1:6, "Lord, will you at this time restore again the kingdom of Israel?" To which he told them "it is not for you to know...But you shall receive power, after that the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and you shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."
Neither Trump, nor Clinton, nor Sanders, nor Cruz nor anyone else elected as President or to the Supreme Court will be able to put right the good ship America. Putting faith and trust in them will only disappoint. The solution to America's problem will not be found in politics. The political landscape will make things better or worse, but the long-term course of our country rests on how we as a prophetic people follow the instructions of Christ. His 12 disciples it was said, "turned the world upside down." The Lord sent us the Holy Spirit. We are not to have a spirit of fear, but "of power and of love and of a sound mind." It is our job to make disciples. If we were doing it well, the condition of our nation would be far better.
No matter what happens in the political realm, we as followers of Christ need to do a better job to show others, not just by our words, but also by our actions, the truth of Christ and how to live him. The Daily Jot attempts to provide information that you can utilize as discussion in your mission as prophetic men and women of the Great Commission--Conversation starters, "ah-hah" moments, the insight that may persuade someone to listen more intently as you demonstrate your Christianity. The Holy Spirit will do the rest. We need to be mighty men and women of valor. We need to step it up. We need to depart from the self indulgence of "church" and "religion." We need to be prophetic, not political, people.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
A Word from Dutch Sheets
A Word from Dutch Sheets
Replacing a Supreme Court Justice
Many Believers are unaware of the process by which a Supreme Court Justice is replaced. A President gets to appoint an individual, usually a judge in another federal court, for an open seat on the Supreme Court. A Senate committee then meets with this individual to ask them questions regarding their fitness for this position. If they like what they hear, they refer them to a confirmation vote of the entire Senate. The Senate's approval means they are appointed as a Justice for the rest of their lives. On a rare occasion, a President makes an appointment when the Senate is on a break (or recess). Either situation could be the situation that replaces Justice Antonin Scalia, since the Senate is on recess this week. This is a very important decision!
"Show me a righteous ruler and I will show you a happy people. Show me a wicked ruler and I will show you a miserable people." (Proverbs 29:2; GNT)
Give Him 15 minutes in prayer:
- Pray that President Obama will not fill this important position during this week's Senate recess, but rather to allow the proper process to take place.
- Pray for God's perfect timing of the seating of a new Justice. The largely conservative Senate is concerned about making an appointment of a liberal Justice. Ask God to provide direction to the nation's leadership in this matter.
- Pray that the Senate Confirmation Committee will have wisdom from above in their investigation process of any nominations the President sends to them.
A prayer you can pray:
Father, the appointment of a Supreme Court Justice who will sit on the court for the rest of their lives is a very serious matter, indeed. We are asking You to be the One in control of this process, Lord. We say that the timing of the replacement is the Lord's. You know the impact better than we do of any appointment that's made. Give the Senate great wisdom in their questioning to reveal the true motive of those appointed, so that the people of this nation do not suffer under unrighteous judgement. In the Name of Jesus, Amen.
"Give Him 15" daily prayer
Monday, February 15, 2016
A Word from Lon Solomon
A Word from Lon Solomon
Senior Pastor, McClean Bible Church
I was shocked, as I'm sure so many of you were, to hear of the passing of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia this past Saturday. A few years ago, I was able to sit in the gallery of the U.S. Supreme Court and see Justice Scalia in action when my friend, Jay Sekulow, litigated a case before the Court as the skillful legal counsel of Jews for Jesus (a case Sekulow won 9-0 by the way!). Justice Scalia was a thrill to watch in action-smart, insightful, funny and invincible in his legal acumen. His loss to the Court, as well as to America, is huge. And all of us at McLean Bible Church extend our deepest sympathy to his family.
Justice Scalia's passing, once again, brings us back to the bottom line: God's sovereign and utter control of His world. Many of us are already asking God why He would choose to precipitate the political events that have been created by Justice Scalia's sudden passing, especially at this moment in America's history. But I am reminded of what the Lord said in Jeremiah 27:5:
"It is I, who by my great power and my outstretched arm, have made the earth, with the men and animals that are on the earth, and I give it to whomever it seems right to me."
I take great comfort, and I hope as believers in Jesus that you will also, in the sure knowledge that there are no accidents or coincidences in our universe. Our God never makes a mistake or says, "Oops." This does not happen in geopolitics, and it does not happen in our lives as His children either--PTL!
What to us may look like confusion and consternation looks to God like His perfect plan being worked out! So let us all take heart, my brothers and sisters in Christ! Everything is right on schedule in God's sovereign plan! As the great woman of God, Corrie ten Boom said, "God does not have problems-only plans!" Amen and amen!
The Senate Judiciary Committee
The Senate Judiciary Committee
Any nominee for the Supreme Court must first be investigated and approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee before advancing to the full U.S. Senate for approval. He or she is then seated on the bench of the United States Supreme Court.
With the current sudden vacancy on the Court, it is critical that we cover these members in prayer. Ask our Lord to give each one His wisdom so that, whenever the name of the next nominee is submitted to the Committee, Abba would have prepared the way, through prayer, for a careful examination of that candidate's character and judicial record.
Please find below the names of these members. As you pray over these names, please claim the Word of God from Deuteronomy 16:18 over this deliberation. Amen.
"Judges and officers shalt thou make thee in all thy gates, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, tribe by tribe; and they shall judge the people with righteous judgment."
REPUBLICAN MEMBERS OF THE SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE
CHAIRMAN CHUCK GRASSLEY - IA
DAVID PERDUE - GA
THOM TILLIS - NC
JEFF SESSION - AL
TED CRUZ - TX
DAVID VITTER - LA
LINDSEY GRAHAM - SC
MIKE LEE - UT
ORRIN HATCH - UT
JOHN CORNYN - TX
DEMOCRATIC MEMBERS OF THE SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE
CHARLES SCHUMER - NY
SHELDON WHITEHOUSE - RI
DICK DURBIN - IL
PATRICK LEAHY - VT
CORY BOOKER - NJ
DIANE FEINSTEIN - CA
AMY KLOBUCHAR - MN
AL FRANKEN - MN
CHRISTOPHER A. COONS - DE
RICHARD BLUMENTHAL - CT
The Blind Landing
By Congressman J. Randy Forbes
Today, our nation finds itself in a place we did not expect to encounter . . . and we are struggling to find our way. Yesterday, Congressman J. Randy Forbes released a statement, "The Blind Landing", that seems to capture this moment.
Here are his words at the conclusion of this article:
We've seen time and again, throughout our nation's history, partnerships built on listening and trust. Our Founding Fathers championed a government that depends on the voices of individuals, families, and businesses. It's the thread that allows our model of citizen-centric government to remain operational. It's the type of leadership we need to move this country forward.
Sometimes our nation might have to make an improbable landing. Sometimes the stakes may feel especially high. But thankfully, it doesn't have to be a blind landing. We just have to listen.
> > > To read this article in its entirety, please go here.
And may God bless us all . . .