CHPP Daily Brief: "Praying for All in Authority" Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
"But you, brothers and sisters, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. You are all children of the light and children of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be awake and sober." (1 Thessalonians 5: 4-6)
> > > For a complete listing of all Presidential primaries now through June 14th, plus convention information, final debates and November 8th Election Day events, please go to the Wall Street Journal's 2016 election coverage here.
> > > Please continue to pray without ceasing over every step in this year's presidential and congressional elections, and stand in agreement with PROVERBS 2 (the entire chapter) that the voters would be led by godly wisdom as they cast their ballots. Thank you.
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
1. Israel Bans Arab Lawmakers Who Comforted Families of Terrorists - United with Israel
The Knesset Ethics Committee made a landmark decision on Monday evening regarding the controversial meetings by three Arab parliamentarians with families of Palestinian terrorists.
Multiple complaints had been filed against the three Members of Knesset (MK) in question-Jamal Zahalka, Hanin Zoabi and Basel Ghattas of the Joint List party. The committee ruled that Zoabi and Ghattas would be banned from Knesset sessions and committees for four months, while Zahalka would be banned for two months. The MKs will not be permitted to participate in votes in the Knesset and its committees.
The Joint List issued a statement following the decision, saying that they "completely reject the decision. We condemn the incitement campaign led by [Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu, which has resulted in this poor, unethical and anti-democratic decision. We still demand the immediate release of the [terrorists'] bodies held by the police even after this decision." (Read more)
2. Iran: We still fund Hamas, because fighting Israel is our policy - Times of Israel
An Iranian official on Monday rejected reports that Tehran has ceased funding the Palestinian terror group Hamas, and stressed that supporting the fight against Israel remains a "principled policy," the semi-official Tasnim news agency said.
Speaking at his weekly press conference in Tehran, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Hossein Jaberi Ansari rejected media reports that funding for the Gaza-based group ceased in 2009.
Ansari said that supporting "Palestinian resistance movements" is part of Iran's foreign policy, according to the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency. (Read more)
3. Islamic authority rejects new Western Wall prayer area - Israel Hayom
The Islamic authority that oversees the Temple Mount says it opposes a new prayer area for non-Orthodox Jews at the adjacent Western Wall.
The Waqf's rejection may present an obstacle for Israel, which has tried to defuse tensions with more liberal streams of Judaism who have demanded the right to pray at the Western Wall according to their customs. After three years of negotiations, Israel announced the creation of the new prayer area last week. (Read more)
4. Khamenei: Americans supporting 'child-killing Israel' - Israel National News
Iran's Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, on Monday launched yet another tirade against the United States and Israel.
In his latest remarks, Khamenei dismissed Washington's claim of support for human rights and democracy and, as proof of his remarks, noted its support for "child killing" Israel as well as Saudi Arabia, Iran's longtime rival.
"The Americans don't have any answers to the easiest questions from the world community. They don't say why they support those behind the ongoing crimes against humanity in Yemen. They don't shy away from backing those behind the ongoing state terrorism against the defenseless people of Yemen," he charged in comments quoted by the Fars news agency. (Read more)
5. Iran said to hack former Israeli army chief-of-staff, access his entire computer - Times of Israel
A cyber-hacker working for Iran hacked the computer of a former IDF chief-of-staff, an Israeli television report said Tuesday, and gained access to the unnamed army chief's entire computer database.
The hacker was named by Channel 10 as Yaser Balaghi. He was said to have subsequently bragged about the hack, but he also inadvertently left behind a means to trace his identity. That error prompted Iran to halt the hacking operation, which targeted 1,800 people worldwide, including Israeli army generals, human rights activists in the Persian Gulf and scientists. (Read more)
6. Ankara looks to warm ties with Cairo after trying with Israel - Jerusalem Post
Turkey is looking to upgrade diplomatic ties with Egypt, after relations became strained when President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi ousted president Mohamed Morsi of the Muslim Brotherhood in 2013.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said he would allow ministerial-level talks between the two countries, but ruled out meeting with the Egyptian president, Turkish media reported on Sunday.
"My stance on that issue is clear; in the first place, I will not meet Sisi until the decisions of a death penalty for Morsi and his friends are reviewed and lifted. Our ministers may meet with their counterparts," Erdogan told reporters, according to a report by the Hurriyet Daily News. (Read more)
7. S & P's confirms Israel's A+ credit rating with a stable outlook - Ynet News
Credit rating agency says that 'the stable outlook reflects our expectation that the government will maintain stable public finances and that the impact of security risks on the Israeli economy will be contained'. (Read more)
8. Israel: Palestinians using UN chief's words to justify terror - Times of Israel
Envoy calls on Ban to retract statement about reacting to occupation, but spokesperson says he 'stands by every word' and 'absolutely nothing, nothing, justifies terrorism.' (Read more)
9. Radio host compares IDF soldiers to terrorists, sparks furor - Israel Hayom
The families of two Israeli soldiers whose remains are being held by Hamas demanded the suspension of a radio host Sunday after he compared their efforts to retrieve their sons' remains to attempts by terrorists' families to pressure Israel into returning the terrorists' bodies.
Veteran Army Radio host Razi Barkai sparked controversy Sunday morning when, during an interview with Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan, he compared the families of Lt. Hadar Goldin and Sgt. Oron Shaul to Palestinian terrorists' families.
Goldin and Shaul were killed in two separate incidents during 2014's Operation Protective Edge in the Gaza Strip, and their bodies were seized by Hamas. (Read more)
The Daily Brief
1. Trump and Sanders win: We are witnessing a full scale revolt, America - Fox News
They came close in Iowa, but just fell short of claiming victory. Tuesday night in New Hampshire was a different story.
The political outsiders have taken control of this election. To my mind, Tuesday night's results show that there are finally politicians who understand how marginalized, disenfranchised and betrayed a majority of Americans feel. It's both Republicans and Democrats, including the 42 percent of Americans who now identify as independent because they think the two parties don't represent their values and positions. (Read more)
- Father God, this IS a full-scale revolt now against the establishment, on both sides of the aisle. We ask that You grant voters in this nation the wisdom to reject a socialist platform (which is only one step away from Communism), and embrace true American values instead. We commit this amazing revolution to You, O Lord, for America has truly awakened to our dismal state, and is yearning for a way of escape. Father, let all come to know that You, Lord Jehovah, are our way of escape, and in You we place our trust. in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ we pray, amen and amen.
- (For the voters) Proverbs 2
2. Supreme Court puts Obama's power plant regs on hold - Fox News
A divided Supreme Court on Tuesday abruptly halted President Obama's controversial new power plant regulations, dealing a blow to the administration's sweeping plan to address global warming.
In a 5-4 decision, the court halted enforcement of the plan until after legal challenges are resolved.
The surprising move is a victory for the coalition of 27 mostly Republican-led states and industry opponents that call the regulations "an unprecedented power grab."
By temporarily freezing the rule the high court's order signals that opponents have made a strong argument against the plan. A federal appeals court last month refused to put it on hold. (Read more)
- Father, we do thank You for this decision by the U.S. Supreme Court, and we ask that You would cause this to stand in the days ahead. We do this in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
- "Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them." (Matthew 18:19,20)
3. Intelligence Director: Climate Change Could Lead to Larger Refugee Crisis - CNSNews.com
Director of National Intelligence James Clapper warned Tuesday that the effects of climate change could lead to mass migrations in the years ahead that will strain the western world on a much larger scale than the Syrian refugee crisis, adding that worldwide resources to support a growing population are "somewhat of a finite resource."
"What we have in the world by way of resource to feed and support the growing population is somewhat of a finite resource," said Clapper, adding that there's only so much water, air and land that can be used to grow crops, so climate change will "foment more pressure for migrants" in addition to "instability of governance." (Read more)
- Lord God, we ask that You forgive DNI James Clapper for his remarks, which reflect an ignorance of Your Word. Lord God, we know that You do not change, and that You have a plan for the nations, to prosper and to survive. Rather than our resources being "somewhat finite," by Your grace, they are infinite. We look only to the example of Your Son, who after praying, divided five loaves and two fishes until all were fed. Thank You, dear Lord, for Your infinite love, Your infinite grace, and Your infinite provision, in Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to his disciples to distribute to the people. He also divided the two fish among them all." (Mark 6:41)
4. Conservative Leaders Oppose Call to Require Young Women to Register for Draft - CNSNews.com
Conservative leaders are opposiong the position taken by top military commanders that all young women be required to register with the Selective Service System, with Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) summing up the mood of many on the Right: "I do not want to see my 15-year-old daughter drafted."
In December, Defense Secretary Ash Carter announced that all combat positions without exception - including those in elite special forces units - would be open to women, and ordered all service chiefs to submit plans to implement the new policy by January 1.
Last week, top military brass told the Senate Armed Services Committee that all young women should also be required to register with Selective Service. "I think that all eligible and qualified men and women should register for the draft," said Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley.
But when CNSNews.com asked conservative leaders: "Do you support requiring all young American women to register for the draft?" the response was overwhelmingly negative. (Read more)
- Father, we do thank You that many in Congress are speaking out against this proposed policy. We ask that this scheme come to nothing, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "Devise your strategy, but it will be thwarted; propose your plan, but it will not stand, for God is with us." (Isaiah 8:10)
5. Sheriff Clarke on Beyonce's Halftime: Would It Be Acceptable If 'A White Band Came Out In Hoods and White Sheets? - CNSNews.com
Commenting on Beyonce's halftime show during Super Bowl 50, Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke said he did not want to make "a huge deal about it," but since Beyonce and the other dancers were wearing "Black Panther-type uniforms," would it be acceptable if "a white band came out in hoods and white sheets in the same sort of fashion?"
Sheriff Clarke added that "the Black Panthers are a subversive hate group in America." (Read more)
- Father, we thank You for the boldness shown by Sheriff Clarke in making this statement. Many are, indeed, wondering about the motives behind this strange performance during halftime at Super Bowl 50. We cancel anything that has been released by this act that does not please You by the Blood of the Lamb, in Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "And they overcame him because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death." (Rev. 12:11)
6. Zika prompts urgent debate about abortion in Latin America - Washington Post
RIO DE JANEIRO - Across Latin America, calls to loosen some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the world in the face of the Zika virus outbreak are gaining momentum but encountering strong and entrenched opposition. In El Salvador, where abortions are banned under any circumstance, the health minister has argued for a revision of the law because of the dangers the virus poses to fetal development. In Colombia, an organized movement to lift restrictions on abortion has gained allies in the government but has run into determined opposition from religious authorities. The same is happening in Brazil - and some doctors say that as a consequence, illegal, back-alley abortions are on the rise.
Nearly everywhere in Latin America, including in those countries hit hardest by Zika, women who wish to terminate their pregnancies have few legal options. But as U.N. health officials have projected as many as 4 million infections in the Americas this year, activists are pressing lawmakers to act as swiftly as possible to ease rigid restrictions. (Read more)
- Abba Father, You created all life for Your purpose and glory. We pray that You would give all these expectant mothers strength and wisdom to make the godly decision of carrying their babies to full term, no matter how difficult the future is for them. We pray and ask that You would provide resources for all these mothers and children. And Lord, we ask that You would give the scientific community the formula for a vaccine to defeat the Zika virus. In His Name we pray, Amen.
- "'See now that I, I am He, And there is no god besides Me; It is I who put to death and give life. I have wounded and it is I who heal, And there is no one who can deliver from My hand." (Deuteronomy 32:29)
7. Homeschoolers face 23 yrs. in jail for late paperwork - OneNewsNow
Parents from two homeschooling families in Ohio face up to 23 years in jail for missing filing deadlines imposed by the state.
Despite the fact that each of the families were relatively new to homeschooling in Ohio - along with hundreds of other families around the country who report having trouble navigating their state's notice requirements for the first time each year - school district officials filed criminal complaints against them.
This severe course of action of having both families served - which can cost them tens of thousands of dollars in fines and decades behind bars - has baffled attorneys with the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA), which serves its 80,000 member families across America.
"Even when a family may have missed a key filing deadline, these situations can often be quickly corrected," HSLDA Staff Attorney Peter Kamakawiwoole. "And usually, if the family resolves the issue promptly, state officials rarely pursue further action - like criminal prosecution - against the parents." Once they discovered the errors, both families quickly righted the wrong(s) . . . but no matter. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we thank You that You are still on the throne and prayer changes things! Father, we ask that You would intervene in this disproportionate and draconian attack on these two families. We cry to You for justice. We cry to You that these charges be dropped. We ask that the Governor of the State of Ohio step in to restore their rights, and we cry for a ground swell of reaction by the communities in Ohio to support these families. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "Justice, and only justice, you shall pursue, that you may live and possess the land which the Lord your God is giving you." (Deuteronomy 16:20)
8. West Virginians Covet Prayers of Fellow Americans in Their Fight for Religious Freedom: "The People Have Had Enough" - CBN and Breaking Christian News
The number of Christians in America facing persecution for their faith seems to grow each day. The trend accelerated after the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage. Now more than a dozen state legislatures are trying to protect the religious rights of their citizens. In West Virginia, lawmakers are pushing the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.
It might be snowy outside in Charleston, but it's heating up inside the state capitol where legislators are taking up a bill similar to the one that caused so much controversy in Indiana in 2015. "West Virginians take their religious liberty very seriously, and we want to ensure that they are protected," Tim Armstead, who's been speaker of the House since 2015, told CBN News.
"There's always a lot of rhetoric. I mean, truthfully, a lot of what has put us in the place where we are now where we feel this is necessary has been based on misinformation," Armstead explained. "It's not creating a new right; it's not taking away anyone's rights; it's simply restating what our Constitution already guarantees and what natural laws and God-given rights are in our country," he said. (Read more)
- Abba Father, We give You thanks for the West Virginia legislature and their desire to protect our First Amendment rights...freedom to worship and freedom for our religious beliefs. Our Constitution guarantees religious freedom. This nation was established by colonists who fled England and Europe for religious freedom. Lord, we ask that You would allow this legislation to proceed and may You receive all the glory. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery." (Galatians 5:1)
9. Christians "Should be Eradicated": Researchers Document Anti-Christian Agenda Among Powerful Elite - The New American
A student is punished for refusing to "stomp on Jesus," a Christian baker faces a year in jail for refusing to cater faux marriages, two men are arrested for reading the Bible aloud near a government building, a school "purges" Christian works from its library. Critics asserting the existence of an institutional anti-Christian bias, and a resultant war on the faith, have often been labeled paranoid. But now two University of North Texas sociologists have produced research showing that just such an agenda exists - among America's most powerful people.
Professors George Yancey and David Williamson shared their findings in their newly released book So Many Christians, So Few Lions: Is There Christianophobia in the United States?
The researchers say that while Christianophobia - which the sociologists define as "unreasonable hatred or fear of Christians" - isn't common among common people, it does characterize those in the upper echelons of American society. It's intense, too.
The book's title was apparently inspired by elitist interviewees lamenting how there were "so few lions," referencing the Roman Empire's practice of throwing Christians into an arena to be slaughtered by the wild cats. One respondent even remarked that Christians "should be eradicated without hesitation or remorse."
This is something about which Christians "should be concerned," reports the Christian Post, on a warning Yancey issued in an e-mail interview, "because those with 'Christianophobia' tend to be powerful elites with influence in certain important areas, such as higher education."(Read more)
- Abba Father, Your word says it much better than we can pray! We pray that their agenda will be defeated, and that Your word will reign. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- The wicked, in the haughtiness of his countenance, does not seek Him. All his thoughts are, "There is no God." (Psalm 10:4)
10. Franklin Graham Praises Christian Faith of 4 Super Bowl 50 Players - Christian Post
While everyone flooded social media with posts about which team they were rooting for during Super Bowl 50, evangelist Franklin Graham took the opportunity to share the strong Christian faith of some of the players from both the Broncos and Panthers.
Franklin, who is following in the footsteps of his legendary father, Billy Graham, often uses social media to address mainstream topics through the lens of Christianity. While a fan of football himself and admittedly rooting for his home team the North Carolina Panthers, the minister took a moment to reflect on the faith of some of the men that he respects from both teams competing in Super Bowl 50. . .
Graham made sure to end his post by asking others to give their lives to Jesus like the above mentioned Super Bowl athletes. He said their quotes about their faith "might not make it on ESPN, but many of the guys playing on the field today know that they've got something far more valuable than even a Super Bowl ring - they know Jesus Christ as their Savior and the Lord of their lives." (Read more here.)
- Lord, we praise You and we worship You! We thank You for these role models for our community. We ask that You would strengthen them and give them clarity in relating the message of Salvation through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "When they arrest you and hand you over, do not worry beforehand about what you are to say, but say whatever is given you in that hour; for it is not you who speak, but it is the Holy Spirit." (Mark 13:11)
Obama and the Mosque: Part Two
Obama and the Mosque: Part Two
Since Barack Obama visited the mosque in Baltimore last week, more information has come to light regarding the events of that day. We submit the following headlines to you now for your own, prayerful consideration. Links are provided to the entire article for each one. Thank you.
1. You don't know what Obama said at the mosque - WND
If you seek to understand Barack Obama and his views, the best place to go is his speeches. But you have to read them in their entirety, not rely on hearing them or on the media's summary of them. When you do, you realize how often what Obama says is morally and intellectually confused and even untrue.
The most recent example was his speech last week at a mosque in Baltimore. In addition to reassuring Muslim Americans that they are as American as Americans of every other faith - President Obama spoke a lot of nonsense, some of it dangerous. (Read more)
2. Obama's Mosque Speech Sounded Like Muslim Brotherhood Script - IPT
(This is the transcript of the Mike Siegel show that day. To read this transcript, go here.)
3. Assessing Obama's Mosque Speech on Islam - IPT
Wishing to address growing anti-Islamic sentiments among the American public, Barack Obama ventured on Feb. 3 to the Islamic Society of Baltimore (sadly, a mosque with unsavory Islamist associations) to talk about Islam and Muslims. The 5,000-word speech contains much of interest. Here's an in-depth assessment of its key points. (Article written by Daniel Pipes. Go here.)
4. Muslim Women Protest Obama's Baltimore Mosque Visit - IPT
President Obama's appearance Wednesday at the Islamic Society of Baltimore (ISB) drew a small band of protesters, and their issue might come as a surprise.
A group of Muslim women and their supporters stood "as close [to the mosque] as the Secret Service allows to protest the separate and unequal standards inside and advocate for equal rights."
One of the protesters, writer Ify Okoye, used to pray at the ISB but left after unsuccessfully challenging its treatment of women. She took pictures in 2010, showing women relegated to partitioned, drab prayer spaces compared to the wide open space reserved for men. (Read more)
The Daily Jot
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Just say "Unfit"
Judicial Watch, a Washington governmental watchdog organization, obtained over 70 pages of documents that indicate Hillary Clinton sent and received classified information over her private email server. In addition, aides Huma Abedin and Jake Sullivan both received and sent classified information in their private email accounts. On Monday, Judicial Watch also revealed that the FBI sent a letter to US State Department Principal Deputy Legal Adviser Marry McLeod stating that the FBI was indeed investigating Clinton. Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton said, "Hillary Clinton's email use could have serious criminal consequences for her and other current and former administration officials."
The FBI letter to McLeod said, "I am writing to update my September 21, 2015, response to your letter...and your request for information pursuant to the Court's Order of August 20, 2015. At that time, I informed you that the FBI could neither confirm nor deny the existence of any on-going investigation. Since that time, in public statements and testimony, the Bureau has acknowledged generally that it is working on matters related to former Secretary Clinton's use of a private e-mail server. The FBI has not, however, publicly acknowledged the specific focus, scope or potential targets of any such proceedings. Thus, while the FBI's response to you has changed to some degree due to these intervening events, we remain unable to provide the requested information without adversely affecting on-going law enforcement efforts."
Judicial Watch requested under the Freedom of Information Act "All emails of official State Department business received or sent by former Deputy Chief of Staff Huma Abedin from January 1, 2009 through February 1, 2013 using a non-"state.gov" email address." The State Department refused to release the emails, so Judicial Watch sued for them. Indeed, the emails indicate that Clinton and her aids very well violated the law by sending, receiving, printing and altering classified documents, even to the point of wondering how a four hour meeting on Libya would impact Clinton's vacation. Judicial Watch reports that the emails are very precise.
Fitton said, "The [sic "president's"] State Department has now confirmed that Clinton, Abedin, and Sullivan used unsecured, non-government email accounts to communicate information that should now be withheld from the American people 'in the interest of national defense or foreign policy, and properly classified.' When can we expect the indictments?" Indictments or not, it is obvious that Clinton is unfit to hold and maintain the public trust. Exodus 18:21 explains the types of leaders we should choose: "Moreover, you shall provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness..." These are not political lies drummed up to defame, they are facts. Clinton is unfit.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Supreme Court Alert
As U.S. abortion case looms, both sides seek personal touch
The Justice Foundation Files 3rd Friend of the Court Brief on behalf of 3,348 Women Injured by Abortion
The Texas Case to be Heard on March 2nd
The Justice Foundation just filed its third Friend of the Court Brief at the U.S. Supreme Court in the last three months on the issue of abortion. Click here to read The Justice Foundation's Brief on behalf of 3,348 Women Injured by Abortion and The Justice Foundation. To all of you who helped with prayer and financial support, thank you!
The 3,348 Women Injured by Abortion are part of Operation Outcry: Silent No More. Operation Outcry, which began in the year 2000, has now collected over 4,500 legally admissible testimonies of women injured by abortion. For those that may not want to read the entire brief, (I can't believe it. LOL!) the Table of Contents gives you a good summary. Appendix B has many powerful testimonies of the injuries caused by abortion in the women's own words.
We focused primarily on the fact that abortion hurts women and that abortion needs to be seriously regulated with an emphasis on women's safety to protect women's health. Abortion is not a safe procedure. Of course, we know it kills a child in the womb, and it is not safe for the mother either.
Click here to read the Reuters article about the Texas case in which myself and two of the women of Operation Outcry are quoted.
The Justice Foundation has joined with approximately 40 national prayer groups calling for thirty days of prayer for the Supreme Court. Click here to read the press release.
As the press release notes, sadly, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to take the appeals of the Arkansas law banning abortion after twelve weeks, and the North Dakota law banning abortion after 6 weeks. While these actions are not a binding precedent, the immediate effect is to uphold the lower court decisions which struck down both of those laws as unconstitutional. God graciously gave the Supreme Court another opportunity to repent for the sin of abortion, through the courageous action of the Arkansas and North Dakota legislatures, and the Court failed to do so.
The Supreme Court is set to hear oral argument on March 2, 2016, in the Texas case. Pray that Justice prevail.
Advancing Life, Liberty and Justice in Him,
Allan E. Parker, President
The Justice Foundation
> > > To read all of Allan Parker's statement, please go here.
The Persecuted Church
The Horrors of Boko Haram
Even by Boko Haram's appalling standards, the raid on the small village of Dalori in northeastern Nigeria was horrific: Children were burned to death in their huts; residents fleeing flames and bullets were blown up by suicide bombers running with them. In the end scores were dead and much of the village was in ashes, and President Muhammadu Buhari's claims of a "technical" victory against the Islamist militants seemed dubious. This is a war that will require far more than a few military successes to win. (NY Times) Read more.
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
GREAT JEHOVAH, MIGHTY LORD
"All nations shall come and worship before Thee." (Revelation 15:4)
Great Jehovah, mighty Lord, Vast and boundless is Thy Word; King of kings, from shore to shore Thou shalt reign forevermore.
Jew and Gentile, bond and free, All shall yet be one in Thee; All confess Messiah's Name, All His wondrous love proclaim.
From her night shall China wake, Afric's sons their chains shall break; Egypt, where Thy people trod, Shall adore and praise our God.
India's groves of palms so fair Shall resound with praise and prayer; Ceylon's isle with joy shall sing, Glory be to Christ our King.
North and South shall own Thy sway; East and West Thy voice obey; Crowns and thrones before Thee fall, King of kings and Lord of all.
About the Author:
Words: Fanny Crosbey
Music: Ira Sankey
Signs and Wonders
COSMIC RAYS CONTINUE TO INTENSIFY
Last month, we reported that cosmic rays are intensifying. Measurements so far in February indicate that the trend is continuing. In fact, the latest balloon flight over California on Feb. 5th detected the highest value yet.
The data show that cosmic rays in the mid-latitude stratosphere now are approximately 10% stronger than they were one year ago. All of these measurements were collected by Spaceweather.com and the students of Earth to Sky Calculus.
Cosmic rays, which are accelerated toward Earth by distant supernova explosions and other violent events, are an important form of space weather. They can seed clouds, trigger lightning, and penetrate commercial airplanes. Indeed, our measurements show that someone flying back and forth across the continental USA, just once, can absorb as much ionizing cosmic radiation as 2 to 5 dental X-rays. Likewise, cosmic rays can affect mountain climbers, high-altitude drones, and astronauts onboard the International Space Station.
This type of radiation is modulated by solar activity. Solar storms and CMEs tend to sweep aside cosmic rays, making it more difficult for cosmic rays to reach Earth. On the other hand, low solar activity allows an extra dose of cosmic rays to reach our planet. Indeed, the ongoing increase in cosmic ray intensity is probably due to a decline in the solar cycle. Solar Maximum has passed and we are heading toward a new Solar Minimum. Forecasters expect solar activity to drop sharply in the years ahead, and cosmic rays are poised to increase accordingly. Stay tuned for more radiation. (SpaceWeather.com) Read more.
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25)
The Good News Corner
Taking a Stand: Virginia Sheriff Puts This Statement
on His Patrol Cars
The sheriff for York-Poquoson counties in Virginia has added America's national motto, "In God We Trust," to his patrol cars, offering an extensive legal defense for his actions.
Sheriff J.D. "Danny" Diggs posed for a photo on the York County's Facebook page showing the new decal on a sheriff's vehicle.
In the post, Diggs says his goal is not to offend anyone, but rather to honor God. He said posting the motto on patrol cars "does not injure or threaten anyone."
"It is not an attempt to urge anyone to support or convert to any one religion," Diggs wrote.
"Despite the fact that the motto has been prominently displayed on our national symbols for more than a hundred years, no court anywhere in the United States has ever held that public posting of 'In God We Trust' violates the Constitution," he explained. (CBN) Read more.
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Your Praise will ever be on my lips
- Kalley Heiligenthal
Yes, Lord . . . yes . . .
Two Daily Conference Calls
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners encourages you to participate, any day of the week, on these calls which are each ongoing, day and night! To learn more about how you can join these calls, please go here.