Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief: Part 2
"Praying for All in Authority"
Tuesday, February 16, 2016
"Judges and officers shalt thou make thee in all thy gates, which the LORD thy God giveth thee, tribe by tribe; and they shall judge the people with righteous judgment." (Deuteronomy 16:18)
Earlier today, we published a list of the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee. We inadvertently omitted the name of Jeff Flake, AZ, who is a Republican member. Please take note and thank you!
"Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted." (Matthew 5:4)
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
1. Netanyahu's office denies cooperation with Quartet report - Israel National News
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu's office denied on Saturday night that Israel had agreed to cooperate with the process of compiling a European Union report on the freeze in the peace process, Haaretz reported.
Previously, EU foreign policy chief Frederica Mogherini had said both Netanyahu and Palestinian Authority (PA) chairman Mahmoud Abbas agreed to cooperate with the report, which was agreed upon by the foreign ministers of the Quartet at a meeting in Munich on Friday. (Read more)
2. Time for Arab states to publicize their Israel ties, Netanyahu says - Times of Israel
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday said it was time for some Arab states with which Israel has covert ties to publicly acknowledge those relationships.
Addressing the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations, the prime minister maintained that most moderate Arab countries see Israel as their ally, not their enemy, as they share a common struggle against Iran and the Islamic State.
"Major Arab countries are changing their view of Israel . . . they don't see Israel anymore as their enemy, but they see Israel as their ally, especially in the battle against militant Islam with its two fountainheads," he said in English. "Now, this is something that is forging new ties, many of them discreet, some of them open. And I think there too we can expect and should expect and should ask to see a change." (Read more)
3. Hamas leader: We will remove the Jews from our land - Israel National News
Senior Hamas leader Mahmoud Al-Zahar vowed on Saturday to remove all the Jews from "Palestine".
Al-Zahar's comments, quoted by Hamas's Palestine newspaper, came at a ceremony in memory of a Hamas terrorist who was killed in one of the recent collapses of Hamas's terror tunnels.
He said that the struggle to liberate "Palestine" would not be stopped by borders and barbed wire fences. (Read more)
- Father God, we know You already have given this land to Your children. We thank You that You are faithful to Your promises. We ask that You put a hedge of protection around Israel and all its people. We ask that You give them strength and endurance. We pray for the eyes of the Arab Israelis to be opened and Your Divine Revelation to be given to them. We pray for their salvation too, Father. In the name of Yeshua, amen.
- '"The land which I gave to Abraham and Isaac I will give to you, and I will give the land to your descendants after you."' (Gen 35.12)
4. Israel is skeptical of US plan for Syria fighting pause - Jerusalem Post
WASHINGTON - Israeli officials aired skepticism on Sunday that a planned "cessation of hostilities" in Syria's civil war, brokered last week in Munich by US and Russian officials, would ultimately succeed.
In the German city for a series of meetings, Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon said Jerusalem believes "it is hard to see how the war and mass killing there are stopped."
"The situation in Syria is very complex," Ya'alon said. "Syria, as we have known it, will not be united anew in the foreseeable future, and at some point I reckon that we will see enclaves, whether organized or not, formed by the various sectors that live and are fighting there." (Read more)
5. Defense chief raps West over missteps in Iran, Syria - Times of Israel
Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon on Sunday said Sunni Arab states are "frustrated and furious" at the West for a "lack of support" in dealing with Iran, and joined widespread criticism of the Western approach to Syria.
The defense minister, who spoke at the Munich Security Conference, also maintained that there were open channels between Israel and other Arab states, but the "sensitive" situation prevents him from shaking Arab officials' hands in public. He later publicly shook the hand of Saudi Prince Turki bin Faisal Al Saud.
Turki has met with a number of Israeli officials in the past. (Read more)
-Abba, we ask for forgiveness for any actions, or lack thereof, that our leaders and the European leaders have done that are against Your will. We ask that You would convict the hearts of any wrongdoers and bring forth Your justice. We pray for all of the people in Syria who are innocent and are in danger. We pray that You send Your Holy Spirit to be their strength, comfort and peace. Please, Father, may they feel Your love and know that the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is carrying them. In the name of Yeshua, amen.
6. Israel may be in trouble if Assad wins, former US official says - Jerusalem Post
If the Syrian regime wins the civil war and Iran ends up on the Golan, Israel could have difficulty defending itself, said a former White House official on Monday.
Michael Doran called for a US policy that seeks to facilitate cooperation between allies such as Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Israel to counter Iran. "Only the US can do that - pull them together." If this does not happen, Israel could end up with Iranian forces and rockets on its border with Syria and "there is not much Israel can do about it."
Doran, currently a senior fellow at the Hudson Institute in Washington, was speaking to the Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations in Jerusalem on a panel moderated by Jerusalem Post editor-in-chief Steve Linde. Doran warned that the Syrian situation could "worsen quickly." (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we pray for Your Will to be done in Syria and throughout the entire Middle East. We pray that each country that is working together for Syria's safety have a sincere interest in helping and that any hidden agendas or malicious intent be stopped. We pray in the name of Yeshua, amen.
7. America's UN envoy lands in Israel to push two-state solution - Times of Israel
US Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power reiterated Saturday her country's commitment to advancing a two-state solution as well as a peaceful resolution for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, as she arrived in Israel for a series of high-level diplomatic talks.
"[I] will meet Israeli and Palestinian leaders . . . to discuss US commitment to two states side by side in security and peace," Power tweeted upon her arrival.
Power, whose post makes her a cabinet member in the US, and who is considered a close adviser to President Barack Obama, was originally slated to visit Israel and the Palestinian Authority on January 15, but canceled the visit as world powers sought to coordinate a response to a nuclear test by North Korea. (Read more)
- Abba, we pray for Your hand to be upon this meeting. We pray that every person at this meeting feels Your presence there and that they would feel Your burden regarding the solution they propose. We ask for Your will to be done and that anything that is outside of it will not be allowed to occur. In the name of Yeshua, amen.
8. Hebrew Nation News: Weekly Alert
To read this alert, please go here.
The Daily Brief
1. Turkey Calls for Ground Operations in Syria - New York Times
A Turkish official says his country is pushing the case for ground operations in Syria, hoping for the involvement of the U.S. and other allies in an international coalition against the Islamic State group.
The official told reporters in Istanbul that "without ground operations it is impossible to stop the fighting in Syria" and that Turkey has pressed the issue in recent discussions with the U.S. and other Western nations.
But he ruled out the possibility of Turkey undertaking unilateral action or the prospect of a joint Saudi-Turkish venture without broader consensus in the anti-IS coalition. He spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly on the issue. (Read more)
- Father God, there are some who are now saying that this action on the part of Turkey will precipitate the start of World War III. Lord God, we know that Scripture says there will be "wars and rumors of wars" in the latter days, so we place this matter in Your hands. Abba, if it is Your will that this conflict erupt into a regional or even global level, then so be it; if not, we thank You for ushering in a restraining force so that the hearts of the kings of the earth would move only according to Your will and Your timing. Lead us, O Lord, in the way we should go. We ask this prayer in Your name, amen and amen.
- "You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end." (Matthew 24:6)
2. Russian airstrikes destroy Doctors Without Borders-backed hospital in Syria, activists say - Fox News
Russian warplanes are being blamed for carrying out what is being called a "deliberate attack" on two makeshift hospitals and a school in northern Syria Monday that killed nearly 50 people, according to the United Nations.
Doctors Without Borders -- also known by its French acronym MSF -- said in a statement that the hospital in the town of Maaret al-Numan was hit four times in at least two attacks that were minutes apart.
"This appears to be a deliberate attack on a health structure, and we condemn this attack in the strongest possible terms," said Massimiliano Rebaudengo, MSF's mission chief. "The destruction of the hospital leavesthe local population of around 40,000 people without access to medical services in an active zone of conflict." (Read more)
- Father God, we pray for Your protection over these vulnerable civilians. Bring Your Peace into this situation, in Jesus Name, Amen.
- "Vindicate the weak and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and destitute. Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked." (Psalm 82:3-4)
3. Russia rejects Syria war crimes claim over hospital attacks - BBC
Russia says it "categorically rejects" accusations of war crimes over the bombing of hospitals in Syria. Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said "those who make such statements are not capable of backing them up with proof".
Up to 50 people were killed in missile attacks on at least four hospitals and a school in northern Syria on Monday.
Meanwhile the UN's Syria envoy has said the Syrian government has a duty to allow aid deliveries - and that this would be tested on Wednesday. Staffan de Mistura has been meeting Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem in the capital Damascus. "It is clear it is the duty of the government of Syria to want to reach every Syrian person wherever they are and allow the UN to bring humanitarian aid." he said in statement. "Tomorrow we test this." (Read more)
- Father, it is clear that in any conflict -- or war -- there are always two sides to every story; and civilians are always also counted among the dead and injured. We ask for truth to be identified in this serious matter, so that those who must be held accountable would be punished. Thank You, Lord, for hearing our prayer, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
- "Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses."
(2 Corinthians 13:1)
4. Air Force crew refueling plane saves pilot in emergency over ISIS territory - Fox News
A quick-thinking refueling plane crew saved a fighter pilot who faced having to eject over Islamic State territory. The F-16 had been trying to refuel in mid-air when the pilot discovered a malfunction with his fuel system, which meant he could only fly for 15 minutes - nowhere near enough to reach safety.
Instead of leaving the pilot to cope with the emergency himself, the US Air Force KC-135 Stratotanker crew managed to escort him back to its base while refueling every 15 minutes to keep the jet in the air. US Air Force commander Lt Col Eric Hallberg said: "Over 80% of his total fuel capability was trapped and unusable. Knowing the risks to their own safety, they put the life of the F-16 pilot first and made what could've been an international tragedy a feel-good news story. (Read more)
- Thank-you, Lord for inspiring these men to know what to do in this situation!
- "Know also that wisdom is like honey for you: If you find it, there is a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off." (Proverbs 24:14)
5. ISIS terror cell uncovered in Belgium - Israel National News
"Belgian police on Tuesday arrested ten people in the Brussels area who are allegedly part of a network recruiting people to fight with the Islamic State group in Syria, prosecutors said.
Police took the ten suspects into custody while conducting raids in Molenbeek and others areas of the Belgian capital. Several of the terrorists involved in November's deadly Paris attacks came from Molenbeek.
The federal prosecutor's office denied, however, that the cell was in any way connected to the killings in Paris. 'The raids were carried out as part of an investigation into a recruitment network linked to the Islamic State. The investigation helped determine that several people had traveled to Syria to join Islamic State,' the federal prosecutor's office claimed in a statement.
The raids were carried out at the behest of a counter-terrorism judge in the eastern city of Liege, who will decide later in the day whether to continue holding them, the statement said." (Read more)
- Father God, we praise You for this good report, and we see this as an answer to our prayers. We ask that every ISIS terror cell on the European continent be exposed and dismantled, until its citizens are safe once again. We ask this in Your name, amen.
- "The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their cry . ." (Psalm 34:15)
6. Jordan Muslim Brotherhood cuts ties with parent group - Israel National News
"Jordan's branch of the Muslim Brotherhood has formally cut ties with the region-wide movement based in Egypt, a spokesman said Monday, according to AP. The decision is the latest setback for the wider Brotherhood, once seen as the main political beneficiary of the 2011 Arab Spring uprisings but hit hard in recent years by government crackdowns, noted the news agency.
The Jordanian branch has undergone several splits over the past year, with breakaway groups emphasizing a domestic agenda.The original core group decided late last week to change its bylaws and cut ties with the parent movement, said a spokesman, Moath Khawaldeh.
'On Thursday, the Shura Council met and amended the basic law, disconnecting the Muslim Brotherhood in Jordan from Egypt,' he was quoted by AP as having said. Khawaldeh added the decision is part of reform efforts ahead of internal elections next month." (Read more)
- Hallelujah, Lord! Here is another good news report! Now that the MB has cut its ties in Jordan with its base in Egypt, we ask that You intervene to utterly dismantle this structure inside Jordan. We ask this in Your name, amen.
- "You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." (John 14:14)
7. Iran announces S-300 is now en route from Russia - Israel National News
"Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hossein Jaberi Ansari on Monday said that a shipment of advanced Russian S-300 missile defense systems is currently on its way to Iran, following many years of delay over sanctions against the transfer.
Speaking at a press conference, Ansari was quoted by Xinhua as saying, 'the agreement for the delivery of S-300 systems has been finalized over the past months and they are being shipped to Iran.'
He also said Iran and Russia have diversified their mutual cooperation, and have 'remarkable' political and defense cooperation." (Read more)
- Father God, we ask for divine intervention, as these two enemies of Israel arm each other and strengthen their ties. We ask that these missiles malfunction, in Jesus' name, amen.
- "The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still." (Exodus 14:14)
8. Merkel: Germany won't normalize ties with Iran unless it recognizes Israel - Times of Israel
Germany will not normalize its relations with Iran unless or until it recognizes Israel, Chancellor Angela Merkel said Tuesday. Merkel was answering a question from The Times of Israel at a joint press conference alongside visiting Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Asked about the apparent rush by Germany to rebuild relations with the regime in Tehran, Merkel answered: "We made very clear - the federal government, all parties that make up the coalition - that there cannot exist normal, friendly relations with Iran as long as Iran doesn't recognize Israel's right to exist." (Read more)
- Father, we thank You for this statement made by the chancellor of Germany! Other headlines are now indicating that Ms. Merkel is standing with Israel against her enemies. May she and her nation receive the blessing due them now, as promised in Scripture. We ask this in Your name, amen.
- "I will bless those who bless you . . ." (Gen. 12:3a)
9. China Washes Its Hands of North Korea: Rogue State Is 'U.S. Obligation' - Breitbart
"Facing growing international pressure to intervene as the nation almost solely responsible for North Korea's survival, China has decreed the rogue nation's containment a 'U.S. obligation,' protesting that 'The U.S. should not always try to outsource its problems to China.' This according to a Chinese politician described as a 'senior lawmaker,' Fu Ying, in China's state-run Global Times on Monday, who protested that 'The key to solving concerns over North Korea security lies in the Americans' hands.'
Beijing is becoming increasingly vocal against potential American activity to protect its ally South Korea from Kim Jong-un's communist regime, particularly in light of the potential deployment of a U.S. Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system to South Korea. Seoul seeks this elevated missile defense technology to protect from rockets flying over the border, citing Pyongyang's recent satellite launch as evidence that North Korea is seeking to improve its rocket technology.
While there is no evidence that the satellite North Korea placed into orbit is working, the launch succeeded in testing the rocket used to send it into space, which can be easily weaponized and shot towards an enemy nation." (Read more)
- Ummm, Lord . . . we don't understand how our nation has suddenly been saddled with North Korea as "our obigation," and we do not welcome this development. Father, we decree that North Korea is Your "obligation" -- that this nation belongs to You and that You have a destiny for its people. Now that we have been given a form of jurisdiction over North Korea, we commend it to You, and we thank You for the harvest that will come forth from this desperate land . . . desperate to know You. We do this in Your name, amen and amen.
- "All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him, for dominion belongs to the Lord and he rules over the nations." (Psalm 22:27,28)
10. Obama Reluctantly Signs BDS Bill Recognizing Territories as Part of Israel - Breaking Israel News
A trade bill which passed a senate vote Thursday is set to be signed into law by US President Barack Obama, despite his objections to its pro-Israel portions. The Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015 came before Congress last summer as part of a package designed to strengthen rule enforcement and address currency manipulation.
The bill, however, contains a provision which would extend agreements with Israel into "Israeli-controlled territories", a move lauded by pro-Israel lobby AIPAC (the American Israel Public Affairs Committee) but criticised by the White House, which said it "contravenes longstanding U.S. policy towards Israel and the occupied territories, including with regard to Israeli settlement activity."
A statement by White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest acknowledged that the president would sign the bill despite his objections. "As with any bipartisan compromise legislation, there are provisions in this bill that we do not support," he explained. "However, the legislation would strengthen trade enforcement at our ports and borders and improve our ability to stop evasion of our trade laws; improve transparency, accountability, and coordination in enforcement efforts; and give us unprecedented new tools to address unfair currency practices. Its passage is an important milestone in our overall trade agenda." (Read more)
- Father God, this news is truly a miracle, and we thank You for it. Israel is not divided; and her produce must not be labeled separately by the nations. We join AIPAC in the celebration of this victory, in Your name, amen.
- "I will praise you, Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever." (Psalm 86:12)
11. Judge Denies Request to Block Law Requiring Pro-Life Pregnancy Centers to Post Abortion Information - CNSNews.com
San Diego federal Judge John Houston denied a request for a preliminary injunction last week by the National Institute of Family and Life Advocates, Pregnancy Care Center, and Fallbrook Pregnancy Resource Center against the Reproductive FACT Act, which requires the pro-life centers to post information about where to obtain an abortion.
California judges have already denied three other requests for preliminary injunctions against the law, mandating that all licensed pregnancy centers "disseminate to clients" a message promoting public programs with "free or low-cost access" to abortion and contraceptive services. Pregnancy centers that fail to disseminate this message "are liable for a civil penalty of five hundred dollars ($500) for a first offense and one thousand dollars ($1,000) for each subsequent offense."
Houston argued in his order that the law does not infringe on the clinics' free speech rights.
"The act does not ban speech or otherwise prohibit plaintiffs from discussing their message with patients," he wrote. "Instead, the act requires medical providers to advise their patients of various types of treatment available so patients are fully informed when making decisions regarding their pregnancies. The act permits discussion about treatment and expressing opinions including their message regarding abortion," he argued. (Read more)
- Father God, we truly know there is nothing new under the sun. The enemy continues to want to snuff out life, before a single breath is taken. Thank You, Lord Jesus, for the brave men and women who stand in the gap and advocate for LIFE. In Your name, amen!
- "The king of Egypt said to the Hebrew midwives, whose names were Shiphrah and Puah, "When you are helping the Hebrew women during childbirth on the delivery stool, if you see that the baby is a boy, kill him; but if it is a girl, let her live." The midwives, however, feared God and did not do what the king of Egypt had told them to do; they let the boys live." (Exodus 1:15-17)
Our Weekly Bible Study
Our Weekly Bible Study:
Sunday, February 14 - Saturday, February 20, 2016
> > > To read the "One Year Bible" weekly letter, go here.
> > > To read the Shabbat Torah readings, go here.
The Persecuted Church
Religious Freedom Remains a Distant Dream for Christians in Nepal
Nepal's New Constitution Bans Religious Conversions
NEPAL (ANS - February 10, 2016) -- Bowing to pressure from hardline Hindu groups, the Nepalese congress banned any acts leading to conversions from one religion to another in the country's new constitution. It also prohibits acts that undermine or jeopardize the religion of another.
At the same time they declared the nation to be secular and neutral toward all religions. (ASSIST News Service) Read more.
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
OUR GOD, OUR HELP IN AGES PAST
"Lord, You have been our dwelling place throughout all generations." (Psalm 90:1)
Our God, our help in ages past, Our hope for years to come, Our shelter from the stormy blast, And our eternal home.
Under the shadow of Thy throne Thy saints have dwelt secure; Sufficient is Thine arm alone, And our defense is sure.
Before the hills in order stood, Or earth received her frame, From everlasting Thou art God, To endless years the same.
Thy Word commands our flesh to dust, "Return, ye sons of men:" All nations rose from earth at first, And turn to earth again.
A thousand ages in Thy sight Are like an evening gone; Short as the watch that ends the night Before the rising sun.
The busy tribes of flesh and blood, With all their lives and cares, Are carried downwards by the flood, And lost in following years.
Time, like an ever rolling stream, Bears all its sons away; They fly, forgotten, as a dream Dies at the opening day.
Like flowery fields the nations stand Pleased with the morning light; The flowers beneath the mower's hand Lie withering ere 'tis night.
Our God, our help in ages past, Our hope for years to come, Be Thou our guard while troubles last, And our eternal home.
Please go here.
About the Author:
Words: Isaac Watts, 1719
Music: William Croft, 1708
About the Hymn:
This hymn was sung at the funeral of former British prime minister Winston Churchill in St. Paul's Cathedral, London, 1965.
Signs and Wonders
Apparent tornadoes hit Florida, Mississippi as snow moves into Northeast
Suspected tornadoes touched along Florida's Panhandle and in Mississippi on Monday, destroying up to 10 homes, and sending fire crews out to investigate reports of residents trapped under rubble.
The tornadoes were associated with the southern part of a large winter storm system that brought the eastern U.S. snow, sleet, strong winds and rain, and which came on the heels of record-breaking low temperatures.
The National Weather Service in Mobile, Alabama confirmed a tornado touchdown near Century, Florida, located in the northwest corner of the state's panhandle region, Fox 10 reported. (Read more)
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25)
The Good News Corner
Pope and Russian Orthodox Leader in Historic Meeting Announce Agreement on Major Issues Plaguing Christians
(Cuba)-A joint declaration signed by both Pope Francis and Patriarch Kirill, head of the Orthodox Church of Moscow and All Russia, issued today after their historic meeting in the Havana Cuba airport issues a strong call for the defense of life and family. (Photo via LifeSiteNews.com) The declaration commenced with a wish to reestablish Christian unity, stating a "determination to undertake all that is necessary to overcome the historical divergences we have inherited."
The religious leaders expressed the wish to combine the efforts of Orthodox and Catholics "to give witness to the Gospel of Christ and to the shared heritage of the Church of the first millennium, responding together to the challenges of the contemporary world" since "human civilization has entered into a period of epochal change."
After discussing the violent Christian persecution underway in the Middle East and North Africa, the Pope and Patriarch turned their attention to the West. "At the same time, we are concerned about the situation in many countries in which Christians are increasingly confronted by restrictions to religious freedom, to the right to witness to one's convictions and to live in conformity with them." (Breaking Christian News) Read more
> > > A Prayer Request from CHPP:
Father, as we witness ever greater moves towards ecumenical unity, we ask that You help each of us remain "true to the true" by placing no false gods before You, nor by compromising the truth of the Gospel for the sake of any move of "unity" outside of that which Your Spirit is birthing. We ask this prayer in the Name that is above all names, our Lord and our Savior, Christ Jesus. Amen.
"And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them." (Luke 21:8)
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Julie True - Lord, I Worship You
"Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our "God is a consuming fire." (Hebrew 12:28-29)
Two Daily Conference Calls
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners encourages you to participate, any day of the week, on these calls which are each ongoing, day and night! To learn more about how you can join these calls, please go here.