CHPP Daily Brief: "Praying for All in Authority" Friday, January 8, 2016
PrayerSurgeNow Conference Call
Conference Line: 712-432-0075
Access Code: 6149782#
For details, please go here.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
New email address!!
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Friday, January 8, 2016
". . . nothing will be impossible with God." (Philippians 3:13,14)
The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" (Rev. 22:17)
Abide with Me . . .
Abide with Me . . .
"Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest."
Saturday, January 9, 2016
9:00 p.m. EST
Why do we "abide?"
After a long week of intense working and warfare . . . it is time to abide . . .
The world system is doing everything in its power to cause us to lose our peace, and to be anxious, fearful and full of anxiety about what lies ahead.
As we "abide in Him," we are not only allowing our Lord to restore our soul, but we are also disempowering the enemy's strategy against us! As we come in the OPPOSITE SPIRIT we say: "The Lord has this in hand. We will rest in Him and trust in Him to bring us through."
Thus, ABIDING is the highest form of spiritual warfare known to man!
Time: 9:00 p.m. EST/8:00 p.m. CST/7:00 p.m. MST/ 6:00 p.m. PST
Conference Number: 605-562-3140#
Access Code: 290787#
Come join us as be abide in Him . . . together . . .
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
GOD SENDS A SIGN OF LIFE IN THE SKIES OVER ISRAEL
Amazing. Above Israel, "Chai" shines -- the Hebrew symbol of life!
Even though some of the headlines we bring you are naming "Palestine" as a state, in the Word of God there is no "Palestine." Rather, the correct terminology is "the West Bank" or "Judea and Samaria." The only state is the state of Israel.
Due to legal constraints, we are not allowed to change text we are forwarding to you. Thank you for hearing our heart in this critical matter.
Sara Ballenger, President and Senior Editor
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
1. Tel Aviv terrorist believed to have snuck into West Bank - Jerusalem Post
The manhunt for the suspect in a Tel Aviv shooting attack moved beyond the Dan region on Wednesday, as Arara resident Nashat Milhem evaded security forces for a sixth day.
According to security assessments, Milhem succeeded to escape into the West Bank in past days. It is thought that the fugitive did not cross into the Palestinian territory by way of one of the organized crossings but rather via holes in the security fence, the same way that thousands of Palestinians illegally enter Israel daily. (Read more)> > > We now have an update that this terrorist has been found and eliminated. He was hiding inside a mosque in Um Elfahim. Praise the Lord!
2. Palestinian women attack Israel in unprecedented numbers - NY Post
NABLUS, West Bank - When Palestinian youths began a wave of grassroots and often suicidal stabbing attacks against Israeli soldiers and civilians several months ago, it wasn't his three sons whom Ramiz Hassoneh was worried about - it was his daughter.
Ignoring her father's warnings, 20-year-old Maram took a kitchen knife to an Israeli military checkpoint on Dec. 1 and was shot dead as she tried to attack the soldiers, according to the Israeli military. The deadly mission put her among some 20 young females who have been involved in attacks on Israelis in recent months - a new trend that has confounded both Palestinian families and Israeli security officials.
While battling Israel was once a role restricted to Palestinian men and boys, the current wave of violence has seen an unprecedented spike in female involvement. And where the few women who did engage in attacks in the past were typically underprivileged females seeking redemption after being rejected by their families, the attackers are now largely ideological, educated women from supportive homes. (Read more)
3. Israeli Energy Minister Urges Greater Intelligence-Sharing With US to Prevent Repeat of North Korea Scenario: 'Deal First, Nuclear Bomb Later' - Algemeiner
North Korea's purported hydrogen bomb test proves Israel and the United States should strengthen their intelligence-sharing to ensure Iran abides by the nuclear deal, Israeli Minister of National Infrastructure, Energy and Water Resources Yuval Steinitz told the Israel Atomic Energy Commission (IAEC) on Wednesday.
Otherwise, Steinitz warned, the world risks "a sequel" of the formula in North Korea - "deal first, nuclear bomb later," he said, according to Israel Radio. (Read more)
4. Egypt urges Israel not to normalize ties with Turkey - Israel National News
Egypt recently contacted Israel requesting clarification over the rapprochement talks Jerusalem is holding with Turkey, it was revealed on Thursday.
Senior clerks in Jerusalem told Haaretz on condition of anonymity that the Egyptian government expressed its displeasure with the notion of Turkey being given an official role in Gaza, and further asked to clarify Israel's intentions regarding Turkey's demand to lift the naval blockade on the Hamas-run enclave.
According to a senior clerk cited in the report Thursday, Egypt has demanded that Israel not cave in to Turkey's demands regarding Gaza, and the strong Egyptian opposition is a key factor preventing a normalization deal from being reached with Ankara.
Turkey continues to firmly support Hamas, which is a Gazan offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood that the Egyptian government has been cracking down on. Egypt has been imposing a siege of Gaza, having turned the southern edge of the region into a buffer zone. (Read more)
5. Remains of 3,400-year-old fortress found in Nahariya - Times of Israel
The remains of a fortress dating back three and a half millennia were uncovered during an archaeological dig in the northern coastal town of Nahariya, archaeologists from the Israel Antiquities Authority announced Wednesday.
Fragments of clay pottery and weapons were also found at the site.
According to archaeologists Nimrod Getzov, Yair Amitsur and Ron Be'eri, the area near the fortress revealed "many artifacts, including human and animal statuettes, bronze weapons and imported pottery, indicating vast trade ties with Cyprus and the rest of the Mediterranean basin." (Read more)
6. University Wins Victory over BDS Efforts - Bridges for Peace
Israel won a symbolic victory against the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement when the Spanish government recently paid NIS 430,000 [US $109,000] in compensation to Ariel University in the West Bank [Judea-Samaria]. The compensation was for an incident in which 15 architecture students were barred from an international competition sponsored by the Spanish Housing Ministry because they came "from the occupied territories."(Read more)
7. Largest Israeli Investment Conference Held in China - Bridges for Peace
as Europe offers an increasingly cold commercial shoulder to the Jewish state, Israel receives a warm financial welcome from one of the word's economic superpowers: China. Looking east, an Israeli delegation this week embarked on an "unprecedented" two-day investment conference in China's capital, Beijing. The event was aimed at exposing Chinese business communities to the varied investment opportunities in the Jewish State. With some 1,000 participants, the conference saw 150 corporate leaders from 85 Israeli companies rub shoulders with potential investors from China. (Read more)
8. Weekly Prayer Bulletin from Intercessors for Israel
To view this report, please go here.
9. Weekly Prayer Bulletin from Bridges for Peace
To view this report, please go here.
The Daily Brief
1. Congress Sends Bill Defunding Planned Parenthood and Repealing 'Affordable Care Act' to President's Desk - CBN
Congress kicked off 2016 by passing a bill that repeals Obamacare and stops taxpayer funding for abortion providers like Planned Parenthood. The nearly party-line vote in the House was 240-181. The bill will be sent directly to President Barack Obama's desk via the special reconciliation process. That process allows a budget bill to pass with a simple majority, avoiding an opportunity for the opposition to filibuster. The reconciliation process can only be used once a year.
Democrats claimed that Congress was starting the New Year debating old issues. They say Obama is sure to veto the bill. "This latest attempt to defund Planned Parenthood and repeal the ACA is nothing short of an attack on women and low income Americans," Rep. Ruben Gallego, D-Ariz., said.
But House Republicans argued Obamacare has proven to be the "Unaffordable Care Act" and insisted the government must stop funding the nation's largest abortion provider. "Obamacare is intrusive, it's expensive, it's full of broken promises," Rep. John Ratcliffe, R-Texas, said.
"The letters, emails, and calls from my constituents tell me clearly that the Affordable Care Act has proven to be anything but affordable," Rep. Virginia Foxx, R-N.C., argued. Foxx continued that taxpayers also have legitimate concern their money is going toward abortion providers. He told the House floor "our freedom rests on the cornerstone right we all have to life." (Read more)
- Father, we thank You for the courage of the Republicans to vote their consciences, and send this bill to the president. We know, in the natural, he will veto these two items, regarding Obamacare and the defunding of Planned Parenthood. We ask, however, that You would do a supernatural thing in his heart to show respect to Congress, and to let this bill stand, as is. We ask for favor for this bill, and creative ways to strengthen it. We ask You, Holy Spirit, to do Your work in his heart. We ask this in the name of Jesus, Amen.
- "Seek good, not evil that you may live. Then the Lord God Almighty will be with you, as you say He is. Hate evil, love good; maintain justice in the courts ." (Amos 5:14,15)
2. Stocks Trim Losses as China Regulators Try to Quell Global Markets - Fox Business
Wall Street clawed back substantial losses on Thursday after volatility in China clobbered global equity markets yet again.
As of 11:40 a.m. ET, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was 170 points lower, or 1% to 16737. The S&P 500 dropped 21 points, or 1.09% to 1968, while the Nasdaq Composite shed 70 points, or 1.45% to 4765.
All 10 S&P 500 sectors were in negative territory as financials and industrials fell the most.
Fears over China's growth and currency devaluation ricocheted through global markets on Thursday before regulators stepped in to try and calm frayed nerves. (Read more)
- Abba, this incident is just one of the indicators of the instability of the whole world right now. As we are made to move toward this one world government, we find ourselves teetering on the precipice of disaster, as other nations deal with their own financial instability.
We ask, Lord, for an awareness of where we are and why, and to understand that only our repentance will bring forth the fruit of stability in our lives. Help us to know that security is not in material things, or in the money it takes to buy those things. Our security is in You, alone. Please grant us Your wisdom in the handling of our finances, from the top of our government, all the way down to the man on the street. May we give control of all that we have into Your loving hands, and finance the spiritual harvest that needs to happen now. In Jesus Name we pray, Amen.
- "Now I know that the Lord saves His anointed; He will answer him from His holy heaven with the saving strength of His right hand. Some trust in chariots and some in horses, But we will remember and trust in the Name of the Lord our God. They have bowed down and fallen. But we have risen and stood upright." (Psalm 20:6-9)
3. Obama releases video teasing State of the Union address - CNN
The White House on Wednesday released a clip of President Barack Obama in a video trailer previewing his final State of the Union address. In the teaser, first posted on Chief of Staff Denis McDonough's new Twitter account, the President expressed optimism for the upcoming year.
Casually perched on the edge of his Oval Office desk, the President said his speech would not just focus on his administration's accomplishments or his goals heading into the last year, but instead on what America "needs to do in the years to come. The big things that guarantee an even stronger . . . more prosperous America."
The President will deliver a "non-traditional" speech this year, senior administration officials said last month, and as evidenced by this video teaser, social media is likely to play a large role. "While I'm writing, my team is cooking up new ways you can watch and engage with the speech," the President said. "I hope you'll all tune in . . . because this address will be for you." (Read more)
- Lord, we know that frequently the president will use other people as "testimonials" during his state-of-the-union speech. We ask for sincerity, and integrity as he gives his speech next week, showing the true state-of-the-union. May it not be used for political purposes, but rather the giving of actual facts, and solutions. May the people be encouraged, as we move forward toward the elections this fall. We pray that all may take note, and sift through the rhetoric, and see the actual picture of our state, and our future, and vote accordingly, we pray. In Your Name, and for Your glory, Amen.
- "Therefore submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake, whether to the king as supreme, or to governors, as to those who are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of those who do good." (I Peter 2:12-14)
4. BREAKING! Fugitive drug kingpin 'El Chapo' caught in Mexico 6 months after prison escape - Fox News
Fugitive Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman has been captured six months after a daring prison escape last July through a mile-long tunnel, Mexican Pesident Enrique Pena Nieto announced Friday on his Twitter account. A federal law enforcement source at the DEA confirmed the capture to Fox News, saying it is "a great day for the good guys."
Fox News is told that the U.S. will request that Chapo be extradited to the U.S. to face federal charges. Pena Nieto wrote in his Twitter account: "mission accomplished: we have him." (Read more)
- Father, we praise You for this great news, in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
- "Praise the Lord! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty firmament! Praise Him for His mighty acts; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!" (Psalm 150:1,2)
5. Taya Kyle confronts Obama on gun actions, says new rules give 'false hope' - Fox News
Taya Kyle, the widow of "American Sniper" Chris Kyle, confronted President Obama over his gun control proposals at a televised town hall Thursday -- and later told Fox News that the president is only offering "false hope" on the issue of gun violence.
At the CNN-hosted town hall on gun violence, Obama faced some of his toughest questions from Kyle. She criticized his newly announced executive actions expanding background checks and spoke about the importance of self-defense.
"I want the hope that I have the right to protect myself," she said at George Mason University in Fairfax, Va. "That I don't end up to be one of these families, that I have the freedom to carry whatever weapon I feel I need." She added: "I know that background checks aren't going to stop me from getting a gun." (Read more)
- Lord God, we thank You for the courage shown by this precious widow. Father, for those of us who have seen the movie about her husband's life, "American Sniper," this challenge to Obama's executive actions on gun control really "hit home." Thank You, Lord. May her words have the impact on the heart of this president that You desire, in Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord, Like the rivers of water; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Proverbs 21:1)
6. Suspect in Pa. cop ambush said he acted 'in the name of Islam,' police confirm - Fox News
The man caught in surveillance footage ambushing a Philadelphia officer in a squad car, shooting him multiple times, claimed he acted "in the name of Islam," police said at a news conference Friday. The suspect, 30-year-old Edward Archer, told homicide investigators he "pledges his allegiance to Islamic State, he follows Allah, and that is the reason he was called upon to do this," Captain James Clark revealed. Archer wore "Muslim garb," a law enforcement source told Fox News. The source would not elaborate. Officer Jesse Hartnett was in stable condition at a hospital, police said. The suspect fired a total of 13 shots Thursday night, Ross said. Three bullets struck the officer in his left arm. (Read more)
- Lord God, only You can remove the scourge of Islam from our land, and this will happen when every jihadi repents and finds You as their true and only Savior and Lord. We continue to cry out for their souls, even as we ask that You the officer that was wounded in this ambush. We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "Let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I pass by in safety."(Psalm 141:10) -
7. Franklin Graham Starts Cross-Country Rallies: 'America Needs the Christian Vote' - ChristianHeadlines.com
Evangelist Franklin Graham kicked off a "Decision America Tour" on Tuesday (Jan. 5) in Des Moines, Iowa, urging evangelical Christians to pray about the upcoming election and vote for candidates of any party who agree with their biblical values.
"Our moral walls and gates are down," said Graham, standing before 2,600 people at the state's gold-domed Capitol. "Any type of wicked thought and activity can come and go and our educators and our politicians and our churches seem many times to be more concerned about political correctness than God's truth and his righteousness."
Graham said that praying and voting Christians are needed to address the troubles facing the country. But, two weeks after he announced his departure from the Republican Party, he said no one party has the answer. "I have no hope in the Democratic Party," said the president of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. "Listen to me: I have zero hope in the Republican Party. I have no hope in Tea Party or any other party. My only hope is in almighty God and his son Jesus Christ." (Read more)
> > > Franklin Graham will visit all 50 states this year. To view his itinerary, please go here.
- Abba, we see this effort of Franklin Graham to rally the troops of Christians to pray and vote, to be like "a voice crying in the wilderness." We know that many Christians have become apathetic regarding elections, frequently not voting, or voting for candidates who would benefit them personally, financially, or otherwise, rather than according to Your Word. We pray protection over Rev. Graham. We put the blood of Jesus around him, and pray that nothing shall by any means harm him. We pray his message will be received favorably, and that his words will turn this country back to You. We ask this in Jesus' Name, and for Your glory, Amen.
- "But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require at the watchman's hand.'" (Ezekiel 33:6)
8. Australian wildfires destroy 95 homes in single township - Fox News
Wildfires blazing out of control in Western Australia state had destroyed around 95 homes in a single township and continued to threaten other communities, an official said on Friday.
Three people were unaccounted for and four firefighters had sustained minor injuries in battling the blazes that had scorched 125,000 acres of woods and farmland since it was ignited by lightning strikes on Wednesday, Fire and Emergency Services Commissioner Wayne Gregson said. People are often reported unaccounted for while evacuating from fire zones but usually turn up later unharmed.
The township of Yarloop, 80 miles southwest of Perth, lost 95 homes -- about one third of its dwellings -- as the fire front hit on Thursday, Gregson said. "The fire continues to be uncontained and out of control," Gregson told reporters in Perth. (Read more)
- Father, we lift up the people of this small town in western Australia, and we ask that You would meet their needs for comfort and for temporary housing, food and clothing. We ask that the firefighters find success in getting ahead of these flames, and in quelling this fire. We thank You, too, for the many times the saints in Australia have entered into times of prayer and fasting on behalf or our nation, and we now return this blessing unto them. We ask this in Your name, amen and amen.
- "Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." (Luke 6:38)
9. Israel busts Hamas cell that planned kidnappings, murders - Times of Israel
A Hamas terror cell that planned to kidnap and kill Israeli citizens was discovered by Israeli law enforcement in December, the Shin Bet security service announced on Thursday.
Members of the group, from Jerusalem and Hebron, had planned to use the corpses of their victim or victims in order to negotiate the release of Palestinian prisoners from Israeli jails, similar to the motive behind the abduction and killing of three Israeli teenage boys in June 2014.
From the Shin Bet's investigation of the Hamas operatives, the cell was in the "advanced planning stages" and had begun preparing the place where they would store the bodies of the kidnapped person or people. "This case reconfirms that Hamas still aspires to carry out serious terror attacks, even now, in order to further egg on the recent wave of terror into a violent intifada," the Shin Bet said in a statement. (Read more)
> > > Update! East Jerusalem Hamas cell 'planned to kill Netanyahu' - Times of Israel
- Father, we praise You for exposing this evil that Hamas was planning against Your people, and stopping the carnage. May all the evil they plan, come back upon their own heads! Thank You for protecting the life of their Prime Minister, too! Continue to give wisdom to Shin Bet and other Israeli forces to root out this evil, we pray. We thank You that You do expose the secret things, and save Your people. You are Israel's Protector, and ours, and we bless Your Name for it! Amen.
- "For there is nothing hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come out into the open." (Luke 8:17,18)
10. Millions of Christians Celebrate Birth and Baptism of Jesus; Vladimir Putin Attends Candlelight Service - Christian Post
Millions of Christians from Orthodox traditions celebrated the birth and baptism of Jesus Christ on Thursday, marking the day with festivals and blessing of water ceremonies.
Famous world leaders, such as Russian President Vladimir Putin, observed the day as well, with the Russian leader taking part in a candle lit service at the Church of the Intercession of the Mother of God in Turginovo.
Orthodox Christians celebrate the Epiphany on Jan. 6, according to the old Julian calendar, along with the birth of Christ a day later. The Daily Mail reported that Putin had not warned the Turginovo church of his arrival, but took part in the candle lit service, alongside children and other worshipers. (Read more)
- Lord God, only You can judge the soul of a man . . . so we leave this matter in Your hands. We pray that this action on the part of Vladimir Putin was not merely a religious exercise, but one which he sincerely was turning his heart towards you. Father God, you ask us to pray first for kings and all in authority, so we do this now, in Your name, amen and amen.
- "Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth." (I Timothy 2:1,2)
The Daily Jot
Friday, January 8, 2016
Clinton indictment may derail campaign
Mark Tapscott of The Daily Caller has reported that Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton may be indicted for several legal violations and speculates whether partisan Democrat Attorney General Loretta Lynch would act on an indictment recommendation. The entire fiasco brings much smoke to where there must be fire, yet it remains to be seen whether anyone has the backbone to do the right thing. Sources with experience in handling classified emails have told The Daily Jot that government employees handling information the way Clinton has would be in jail for a long time. Just the shear number of Clinton's possible legal violations should derail her campaign, but we live in strange times.
Tapscott writes: "Negligence is critical because Clinton signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement in 2009 regarding classified information that stated, among much else, that "Sensitive Compartmented Information involves or derives from intelligence sources or methods that is classified or is involved in a classification determination ..." Clinton and several of her closest aides must have read information "derived from intelligence sources or methods" on a daily or near-daily basis. There is an ominous sentence buried in that agreement Clinton signed: "Nothing in this agreement constitutes a waiver by the United States of the right to prosecute me for any statutory violations.""
This is possibly the smoking gun, according to Tapscott. He concludes: "A Republican with direct knowledge of the investigation predicted political chaos if Lynch doesn't decide to prosecute Clinton, a chaos that "would be the gift that keeps on giving right through the election." With or without resignations of FBI officials to protest such a decision, there would be a blizzard of news releases from congressional GOPers condemning Lynch, followed by hearings in which both the attorney general and FBI Director James Comey would be put under oath and asked about their actions." The trouble here is that Democrats will be unlikely to uphold the law and Republicans, to date, have not held accountability for years.
People need to understand the criminality of what Clinton has done. If we live in a nation where no one is above the law, folks like Clinton should be in jail. But, like notorious gangster Al Capone, they keep using legal loopholes for their "stay out of jail" card. It was simple tax evasion that brought Capone down, even though there were many other terrible crimes he had committed. It may be emails that indict Clinton. Notwithstanding, a person of her character should not hold office. Exodus 18:21 tells us what kind of leaders to select: "Moreover you shall provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness." Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Important Supreme Court Case on Monday
A Special Prayer Request from the California Family Council
We are passing this message on to you, as it was received in our office today. Thank you for holding this matter in prayer before the Lord, and taking action as He may lead you to do so.
Footnote from Rev. Pierre Bynum at Family Research Council:
Several Religious Liberty cases will be before the U.S. Supreme Court this year. This one deals with American teachers' First Amendment Rights - with huge implications for religious liberty. It has not gotten the national publicity it should have but is critically important, but will be heard by the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday.
Dear Prayer Team,
I've been asked to pray and I'll be fasting Sunday to Monday for Rebecca Friedrichs and her case before the United States Supreme Court. She is going against the State of California. She's a Christian public school teacher in California and has filed suit to stop the California Teachers Union from taking money from her pay check. Rebecca and her attorney have been pitted against about 40 other attorneys and legal firms. It reminds me of David and Goliath.
Her case has been expedited to the SCOTUS. If you're willing to forward this to your prayer networks (State and National), I know Rebecca would greatly appreciate it.
Let me know if you're willing to join me in the fast. Her requests are below.
Pastor Jim Domen
California Family Council
866-866-7993; Ext. 18
Prayer Needs: Several people are organizing groups to pray across the nation during oral arguments. For those of you who are comfortable with this idea, here's what we need:
- Groups to gather from 7 am - 9 am Pacific Time. 10 am - Noon Eastern Time. On Monday, January 11.
- Ask that we would have favor with the Justices and the American people
- Please pray for our lead attorney, who will do all of the arguing on our side: Michael Carvin
- The Justices are: Alito, Scalia, Roberts, Kennedy, Thomas, Kagan, Ginsberg, Breyer, and Sotomayor.
- Although the opinion won't come out until probably June, the Justices make their decision and take their vote after we leave the courtroom, so this is why it's so imperative that we have people praying on argument day.
Rebecca Friedrichs, et al., Petitioners
California Teachers Association, et al.
Last night the House of Representatives, on a largely party-line vote, passed legislation repealing Obamacare and defunding Planned Parenthood. It has passed bills to repeal Obamacare and defund Planned Parenthood on several occasions. But in previous years, these bills have died in Harry Reid's Senate.
What is different this time is that the repeal/defund legislation already passed the now Republican Senate under special rules that prevent filibusters. With the House's approval, both chambers of Congress are now on the record in favor of repealing Obamacare and defunding Planned Parenthood. The bill is now headed to Barack Obama's desk.
Unfortunately, we all know what happens next. Obama will veto the legislation. Obamacare will remain intact, and your hard-earned tax dollars will continue to flow to the nation's largest abortion business.
But don't minimize the usefulness of the vote. Republicans followed through on a promise -- they passed legislation repealing Obamacare and defunding Planned Parenthood. It does make a difference which party controls Congress. They forced every member of Congress to vote "yes" or "no."
Now we need a president who will sign such bills! (Gary Bauer)
Graham's New Crusade
Graham's New Crusade
Billy Graham, America's beloved evangelist, saved many souls during his lifetime at massive gatherings he called "crusades." His son, Reverend Franklin Graham, launched a new crusade this week aimed at saving America.
Franklin Graham made headlines recently when he announced that he had switched his political registration and had become an independent, something many conservatives have done in recent years. But, as we reported and the media ignored, Graham was in no way telling people to abandon the culture war and avoid the political process.
In fact, it was the exact opposite. In the state capital of Iowa this week, Franklin Graham kicked off a series of public rallies that will take him to all 50 states in the weeks and months ahead.
Speaking in Des Moines, Graham decried the condition of our country, spiritually, financially and racially. He lamented that too often "our educators and our politicians and our churches seem . . . more concerned about political correctness than God's truth and righteousness."
Graham denounced the aggressive secularism of the left that "wants to take God out of our society," adding, "I'm here to say, I'm not going without a fight!"
Then he urged men and women of faith to redouble their efforts to be active and engaged voters. "Be willing this next election to vote," Graham said. "Vote for candidates who stand for Biblical principles."
"Don't tell me your vote doesn't count," he continued, citing several close races. "If every one of you votes, you go back and get your family to vote, get your church to vote."
Graham then challenged his audience to pray for the country, to make sure they were registered to vote and to encourage others in their community to do the same.
I couldn't agree more with Reverend Graham's assessment of our nation and his recommended solution. I join him in urging those who cherish the values of faith and family to get off the sidelines and get organized!
The hour is late if we are going to save this "shining city upon a hill." (Gary Bauer)
The Persecuted Church
Sharia Police in Aceh, Indonesia Order Removal of Church Tents
Authorities in Aceh Singkil district in sharia law-governed Aceh province are planning to remove tents built by Protestant congregations to replace churches that were torn down last year.
According to the district's secretary Azmi, who has only one name, the removal was planned since the tents were built only for Christmas services. "The congregations asked the district head and governor for permits prior to Christmas. There was one condition, though. After Christmas, the tents should be removed," he told ucanews.com Jan. 7.
However, the Rev. Jasman Bancin of the Pakpak Dairi Christian Protestant Church said there was no such agreement. Bancin said that when sharia police and public order officials arrived at the church in early January to remove the tents, the congregation resisted the move.
"Mothers, children and youths blockaded them. They made their objections clear," he said. (UCANews.com) Read more.
Our Grandmothers' Songs
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
RESCUE THE PERISHING
"Snatch others from the fire and save them." (Jude 1:23)
Rescue the perishing, care for the dying,
Snatch them in pity from sin and the grave;
Weep o'er the erring one, lift up the fallen,
Tell them of Jesus, the mighty to save.
Rescue the perishing, care for the dying, Jesus is merciful, Jesus will save.
Though they are slighting Him, still He is waiting, Waiting the penitent child to receive; Plead with them earnestly, plead with them gently; He will forgive if they only believe.
Down in the human heart, crushed by the tempter, Feelings lie buried that grace can restore; Touched by a loving heart, wakened by kindness, Chords that were broken will vibrate once more.
Rescue the perishing, duty demands it; Strength for thy labor the Lord will provide; Back to the narrow way patiently win them; Tell the poor wand'rer a Savior has died.
Please go here.
About the Author:
Words: Fanny Crosby, 1869
Music: W. Howard Doane
About this Hymn:
As I was addressing a large company of working men one hot August evening, the thought kept forcing itself upon my mind that some mother's boy must be rescued that very night or perhaps not at all. So I requested that, if there was any boy present, who had wandered away from mother's teaching, he would come to the platform at the conclusion of the service. A young man of eighteen came forward and said, "Did you mean me? I have promised my mother to meet her in heaven; but as I am now living that will be impossible." We prayed for him; he finally arose with a new light in his eyes; and exclaimed triumphantly, "Now, I can meet mother in heaven; for I have found her God."
A few days before, Mr. Doane had sent me the subject "Rescue the Perishing," and while I sat there that evening the line came to me, "Rescue the perishing, care for the dying." I could think of nothing else that night. When I arrived it my home I went to work on it at once; and before I retired the entire hymn was ready for a melody. The next day my words were written and forwarded to Mr. Doane, who wrote the beautiful and touching music as it now stands.
In November, 1903, I went to Lynn, Massachusetts, to speak before the Young Men's Christian Association. I told them the incident that led me to write "Rescue the Perishing," as I have just related it. After the meeting a large number of men shook hands with me, and among them was a man, who seemed to be deeply moved. You may imagine my surprise when he said, "Miss Crosby, I was the boy, who told you more than thirty-five years ago that I had wandered from my mother's God. The evening that you spoke at the mission I sought and found peace, and I have tried to live a consistent Christian life ever since. If we never meet again on earth, we will meet up yonder." As he said this, he raised my hand to his lips; and before I had recovered from my surprise he had gone; and remains to this day a nameless friend, who touched a deep chord of sympathy in my heart. It is these notes of sympathy that vibrate when a voice calls them forth from the dim memories of the past, and the music is celestial.
Signs and Wonders
Beware 'The Kid':
El Niño will pound U.S., strain global humanitarian system
Batten down the hatches and beware the kid: Experts say the weather phenomenon known as El Niño is expected to wreak havoc in the United States and put the world's humanitarian assistance system under unprecedented strain.
El Niño, which can be translated as "The Kid" or "The Boy," has already created havoc around the world, NASA said. The weather phenomenon occurs in the tropical Pacific Ocean every seven years or so. When the trade winds, which normally blow from east to west, weaken, sea surface temperatures in the eastern and central tropical Pacific rise -- with an array of meteorological results. (Read more)
The Good News Corner
Alabama Chief Justice Orders State Judges to Uphold Sanctity of Marriage Amendment
Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore issued an administrative order today saying, "Alabama probate judges have a ministerial duty not to issue any marriage license contrary to the Alabama Sanctity of Marriage Amendment."
"Confusion and uncertainty exist among the probate judges of this State as to the effect of Obergefell on the 'existing orders' in API," Moore wrote. "Many probate judges are issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples in accordance with Obergefell; others are issuing marriage licenses only to couples of the opposite gender or have ceased issuing all marriage licenses." (Breaking Christian News) Read more
[Editor's note: we did report this yesterday on our Brief, but this is such good news, we want to report it again!]
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Julie True - "Wash Over Us"
Yes . . . Lord . . . as we enter into the shalom of this weekend . . . wash over us, indeed!
Two Daily Conference Calls
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners encourages you to participate, any day of the week, on these calls which are each ongoing, day and night! To learn more about how you can join these calls, please go here.