CHPP Daily Brief: "Praying for All in Authority" Wednesday, January 6, 2016
See below for details.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
> > > New email address!!
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Wednesday, January 6, 2016
". . . nothing will be impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)
The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" (Rev. 22:17)
Gun Control in the News
Gun Control in the News
It is written: "And He said to them, 'But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.'"
1. An emotional Obama outlines his plan to fight gun violence - Los Angeles Times
President Obama joked, preached and wept in the East Room of the White House on Tuesday, outlining how he will use his authority to fight gun violence but revealing along the way that an appeal to the heart may be the most powerful tool he can muster.
With tears wetting his face at one point, Obama mourned the deaths of innocents and preached the right of children to attend school without fear of a mass shooting, and he voiced anger about the country's epidemic of gun violence and his well-funded opposition.
"Yes, the gun lobby is loud and it is organized in defense of making it effortless for guns to be available for anybody, any time," he said. "Well, you know what, the rest of us, we all have to be just as passionate. We have to be just as organized in defense of our kids."
By choosing an emotional speech over a more sober argument designed to persuade lawmakers, Obama underscored that in effect he was giving up on Congress to act on the issue, even though his own ability to act is limited. (Read more)
2. An emotional Obama flexes his executive muscle on gun control - Washington Post
President Obama went to the East Room of the White House on Tuesday prepared to announce modest new restrictions on gun sales across the country, but the moment quickly turned into one of the most emotional public episodes of his presidency.
The 37-minute speech became part eulogy, part admission of political failure and part constitutional lecture on the Second Amendment.
Eventually, the president cried. (Read more)
3. Obama's gun control actions open legal can of worms - Fox News
President Obama's executive action to expand gun sale background checks has opened up a legal can of worms, specifically the president's bid to broaden the definition of who's a dealer -- and therefore must get a license and conduct background checks. Under current federal law passed by Congress, only federally licensed dealers must conduct background checks on buyers. The law does not specify whether this applies to online sales and other areas -- so those selling or trading guns on websites or in informal settings such as flea markets often don't register. (Read more)
4. Why Obama's executive action on guns is unconstitutional - Judge Andrew P. Napolitano
President Obama announced Tuesday that he is issuing an executive order on guns and background checks. Here's a look at what the president is doing and if it is even legal under the Constitution of the United States.
Just what is an executive order? A presidential executive order is a written instruction to persons in the executive branch of the federal government informing them of the manner in which the president wants federal laws or regulations enforced. Executive orders do not direct private persons, or persons in the legislative or judicial branches of government. Executive orders remain in effect until abandoned or rescinded by the president who issued them or by a successor president.
President Obama has very little room to issue executive orders on guns because the congressional legislation is so extensive, detailed, and clear. The principal thrust of the president's orders addresses the requirement for background checks in occasional sales and the requirement that occasional sellers become federal licensees and the imposition of reporting upon physicians. (Read more)
5. What Obama's Executive Action Means for Mental Health Funding - ABC News
To combat gun violence, Obama is taking multiple executive actions. He wants to spend $500 million to increase access to mental health care and mental health information for conducting background checks. He called on different agencies including the Social Security Administration to report more data to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to bolster background checks. (Read more)
6. Obama's Anger - Gary Bauer
When the president announced his new executive actions today to restrict the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding Americans to own a firearm, I was struck by his tone.
Obama seemed more agitated talking about this issue than when the Iranian Revolutionary Guard fired a rocket last week near a U.S. aircraft carrier. He seemed more angry today than when we found out Iran was lying about its nuclear program. He showed more anger about guns in America than when Iran tested nuclear-capable missiles in violation of U.N. sanctions.
In fact, Obama seems more emotionally committed to taking away your guns than he is to preventing the mullahs of Iran from getting weapons of mass destruction.
7. Doctors can report some mentally ill patients to FBI under new gun control rule - Politico
Delivering on its promise to deliver "common sense" gun control, the Obama administration on Monday finalized a rule that enables health care providers to report the names of mentally ill patients to an FBI firearms background check system. The action was one of a series of steps that President Barack Obama had called for in January 2013 in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shootings to curb gun violence. (Read more)
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
GOD SENDS A SIGN OF LIFE IN THE SKIES OVER ISRAEL
Amazing. Above Israel, "Chai" shines -- the Hebrew symbol of life!
Even though some of the headlines we bring you are naming "Palestine" as a state, in the Word of God there is no "Palestine." Rather, the correct terminology is "the West Bank" or "Judea and Samaria." The only state is the state of Israel.
Due to legal constraints, we are not allowed to change text we are forwarding to you. Thank you for hearing our heart in this critical matter.
Sara Ballenger, President and Senior Editor
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
1. UN human rights investigator resigns after Israel refuses visa request - Jerusalem Post
A United Nations special investigator into alleged Israeli human rights abuses in the Palestinian territories resigned Monday citing Israel's two-year refusal to grant him a visa to the West Bank so he could see the situation first-hand.
"I took up this mandate with the understanding that Israel would grant me access as an impartial and objective observer," Makarim Wibisono said.
Wibisono, of Indonesia, was appointed to the post of special rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories in 2014. (Read more)
2. 'Fundamentalist' Jewish Terror a Growing Threat to Israel: Experts - NBC News
TEL AVIV, Israel - Young, fearless, rebellious, idealistic and militant - these are some of the words security experts use to describe a growing terror threat facing Israel.
But they are not referring to Islamist extremism - they're talking about hard-line Jewish settlers called the Hilltop Youth. Some members of the settler splinter group are prepared to use violence to expand the country's official borders, establish a state modeled on the Jewish holy book and appoint a king.
"They are not willing to listen to anyone, including the most revered rabbis," according to professor Eitan Alimi of Hebrew University, who specializes in political protest and political violence. "They are fundamentalist in the sense that they try to go back to the pure and authentic way of living according to the Bible." (Read more)
3. Netanyahu slams MKs for differentiating between attacks - Jerusalem Post
Terrorism is terrorism, whether it happens in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem or Duma, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said in the Knesset Monday.
His comments came hours after MK Osama Sa'adi (Joint List) differentiated between Friday's shooting in Tel Aviv and the terrorist attack that killed Eitam and Na'ama Henkin in front of their four children near Eilon Moreh in the West Bank.
When asked if the attack in Tel Aviv was terrorism, Sa'adi said: "Clearly, and I condemn it." (Read more)
4. Iran, Saudi Arabia and the Israeli angle - Jerusalem Post
Jerusalem on Monday was closely monitoring the rapid breakdown in relations between Iran and Saudi Arabia, knowing full well that ripples from that crisis will surely be felt in Israel.
Yaakov Amidror, the former head of the National Security Council and, before that, of Military Intelligence, told The Jerusalem Post there could be two immediate ramifications for Israel.
The first, he said, is that the crisis will prolong the Syrian civil war, in which Iran and Saudi Arabia are backing different forces, and the second is that the crisis with Riyadh will mean Tehran will have an additional front and point of friction to keep in mind when making decisions, including those having to do with Israel. (Read more)
5. Yisrael Beytenu head receives death threats on Facebook - Israel Hayom
"You are our target. Your murder is close," says a menacing post on Avigdor Lieberman's Facebook page * Knesset Guard commander files police complaint * Lieberman already has a permanent security detail, which for now will not be increased. (Read more)
6. Sara Netanyahu questioned by police for second time - Israel Hayom
Sara Netanyahu, the wife of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, was questioned under caution on Monday by the Israel Police National Fraud Unit for the second time in a week on allegations that she used state funds to cover private expenses. Monday's questioning lasted five and a half hours. Police have yet to decide whether a further round of questioning will be required. After the first round of questioning last Thursday, a Netanyahu representative issued a statement saying that "the allegations against the prime minister's wife are nonsense, and this will be proved clearly and unequivocally."(Read more)
7. Insight for Intercessors
To read this update, go here.
The Daily Brief
1. North Korea Announces That It Has Detonated First Hydrogen Bomb
- New York Times
SEOUL - North Korea declared Tuesday night that it has detonated its first hydrogen bomb, a weapon far more powerful than it has set off previously, a claim that, if true, would dramatically escalate the nuclear challenge from one of the world's most isolated and dangerous states.
In a brief announcement, about an hour after seismic detectors around the world picked up a 5.1 magnitude seismic event along the country's northeast coast, officials said that the test was a "complete success." But it is difficult to tell whether that boast is true, and it may be weeks or longer before detectors sent aloft by the United States and other powers can determine what kind of test was conducted. (Read more)
- Father, we have known for some time that this moment was coming, and now it is here. Lord God, please protect the nations from North Korea! We know they are also an ally of Iran -- a nation which is not our friend, nor that of Israel. Lord God, when a crisis is too big for us to control, we thank You that it is not too big for You. We rest this matter under the shelter of Your wings, and we trust You to intervene on our behalf, for the safekeeping of the people of the United States and of Israel. We ask this prayer in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, amen and amen.
- "No weapon formed against you shall prosper, And every tongue which rises against you in judgment You shall condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, And their righteousness is from Me," Says the Lord." (Isaiah 54:17)
2. 'It changes things': Successful North Korean H-bomb test raises threat to US and Asia, expert says - Fox News
If North Korea is confirmed to have successfully tested a hydrogen bomb, as the country's Stalinist dictatorship claimed Wednesday, it would signify that Pyongyang's nuclear weapons program is far more advanced than most analysts have imagined, a veteran North Korea watcher told Fox News late Wednesday.
"If in fact it was a hydrogen test, this means the North Koreans are advancing their nuclear weaponization program at a faster and more efficient (and deadly) pace than most analysts have predicted in the past," Dr. Bruce Bechtol wrote in an email. (Read more)
- Father God, this event may raise the threat level on earth, but we thank You that nothing has changed in heaven. Instead, You are the stability of our times. Help us, O Lord, to place our trust in You, as You carry us through these end times, together. In the name of Jesus Christ we pray, amen and amen.
- "Cast your burden upon the LORD and He will sustain you; He will never allow the righteous to be shaken." (Psalm 55:22)
3. Footage of ISIS weapons lab shows construction of heat-seeking missiles, car bombs - Fox News
New images of what is being called a "jihadi technical college" in the ISIS terror group's de facto capital shows that the group is capable of producing key components for advanced weaponry, including surface-to-air missiles.
Footage of the weapons lab in Raqqa, Syria was obtained by Sky News and shows that ISIS scientists have managed to produce a homemade thermal battery for use in surface-to-air missile systems. That had previously been thought impossible for terror groups without any military infrastructure to accomplish. (Read more)
- Father God, as the enemy works to create even more dangerous weapons, we ask for Your grace, that we might focus our faith upon You. Thank You that, as we stand in continued repentance for our national sins, You will answer our prayers. In this time of increasing sin, we thank You for abounding grace. In Your name, amen.
- "But where sin increased, grace increased all the more . . ." (Romans 5:20)
4. Wanted British terrorist reportedly sold bounce houses, then joined ISIS - Fox News
The terrorist who appeared in an Islamic State video showing the killing of five accused spies is believed to be a British man who left his job selling bouncy castles to join the insurgency.
The Daily Telegraph reported Monday that the prime suspect is Siddhartha Darr, a 32-year-old Muslim convert from east London. When he wasn't selling or renting bouncy castles for children's parties, he enjoyed the rock band Nirvana and the Arsenal soccer club, British media report. (Read more)
- Father God, we lift up the British authorities, asking that You would help them to locate and to apprehend this dangerous terrorist. In Your name, amen.
- "For there is nothing hidden which will not be revealed, nor has anything been kept secret but that it should come to light." (Mark 4:22)
5. ISIS has 50 British children under its control, report finds - Fox News
The Islamic State terror group has as many as 50 British boys and girls in its grip, with some children just one year old, The Times of London reported Tuesday. The terror group's latest video features one of those children, a boy named Isa Dare, according to British media. London resident Henry Dare told The Guardian the boy is his grandson.
Henry Dare's daughter, Khadijah, converted from Christianity to Islam before joining ISIS in Syria, The Guardian adds.A terror propaganda photo in 2014 showed her son, Isa, holding an AK-47 rifle. He reportedly was 4 years old at the time. The child appears near the end of the terror group's new 11-minute video, vowing to "go kill" non-believers. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we ask for Your protection for these innocent little ones. We pray that You would guard their minds from retaining this evil brainwashing of ISIS. Wash their minds and ears as they are delivered out of the hands of ISIS that there would not be a lifetime effect on them. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- " . . . but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to stumble, it would be better for him to have a heavy millstone hung around his neck, and to be drowned in the depth of the sea." (Matthew 18:6)
6. Ripe for radicalization: Federal prisons 'breeding ground' for terrorists, say experts - Fox News
America's federal prisons have become a "breeding ground" for radical Islam, warn critics, who say imprisoned terrorists are more likely to spread their beliefs than renounce them.
As law enforcement authorities lock up more home-grown terrorists, experts are warning the success could turn sour if jailhouse jihadists are allowed to infect fellow inmates. Prisons have long been criticized for a culture that can make some inmates more dangerous than when they entered, but the possibility that typical felons could become lone wolf terrorists upon earning parole is a disturbing new wrinkle. (Read more)
- Lord God, we have been tracking this trend for the past several years, and we do not see this situation improving. We continue to stand in faith, believing that You can and will show our authorities how to put an end to this method of ISIS recruitment. Thank You, Lord, for Your wisdom, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen and amen.
- "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)
7. Sexual assaults blamed on 'Arab' men in Germany may inflame refugee debate - Washington Post
New Year's Eve attacks attributed to Arab and North African men threaten to fan the flames of Germany's refugee debate.
The wave of violence overnight on Thursday resulted in dozens of reports of sexual assault and robberies around the city's main train station, where a crowd of about 1,000 men had congregated, police said, according to Spiegel online.
"We will not tolerate such cowardly and abhorrent attacks," German Justice Minister Heiko Maas said Tuesday. "This is apparently an entirely new dimension of organized crime."(Read more)
- Abba Father, as this article seems to relate...not all are criminals, but the criminals are making it very difficult for those who are trying to establish a new life. We ask for wisdom for those who are in charge in Germany that they may be able to separate the criminal element from the serious refugee. Abba, we also ask for the USA. Give our officials the ability and discernment to only allow those into our country who are truly refugees and not undercover ISIS agents or criminals. Abba make a way for Arab Christians to be able to immigrate to the USA. In His Name we pray, Amen.
- " . . . and blessed be your discernment, and blessed be you, who have kept me this day from bloodshed and from avenging myself by my own hand."(I Samuel 25:33)
8. Report: Russia sees high probability of chemical weapons use by ISIS in Syria - Jerusalem Post
Moscow sees a high probability that Islamic State is using chemical weapons in Syria, RIA news agency reported on Tuesday, citing Mikhail Ulyanov, the head of the Russian foreign ministry department for non-proliferation and arms control. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we thank You that You are in control of all things and know all things. We ask that ISIS would be unable to use any chemical weapons that they have. That before they can use it on someone else that it would be rendered null and void by You. In His Name we pray, Amen.
- "No weapon that is formed against you will prosper; And every tongue that accuses you in judgment you will condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, And their vindication is from Me," declares the Lord.(Isaiah 54:17)
9. New Jersey School Skips Legal Battle, Will No Longer Recite "God Bless America" - Philadelphia CBS Local
Staffers at Glenview Elementary School say it became a daily ritual for students to say "God bless America" after the morning recital of the Pledge of Allegiance.
Sassano says the ACLU sent the school board attorney a letter challenging the recital of "God Bless America" as unconstitutional.
Rather than engage in an expensive legal battle, Sassano sent an email to parents over the weekend saying the school will look for alternate ways to honor those in the September 11th tragedy. (Read more)
- Father God, it saddens us to learn that this principal has seen fit to "cave in" to the unrealistic demands of the ACLU in this case. We ask that You would move to strengthen the resolve of every principal in our nation when decisions are made to uphold traditional American values. We ask You to forgive Principal Sassano, and cause this decision to be reversed. We ask this in Your name, amen and amen.
- "In that day the Lord of hosts will be For a crown of glory and a diadem of beauty To the remnant of His people, For a spirit of justice to him who sits in judgment, And for strength to those who turn back the battle at the gate." (Isaiah 28:5,6)
10.Virus That Causes Birth Defects Could Spread to Mainland U.S. - Time.com
The Zika virus has been linked to babies born with abnormally small heads
A rare virus spread by mosquitoes linked to severe birth defects in Brazil has spread to Puerto Rico and health officials worry it could travel to the continental U.S.
The Zika virus was long thought to be harmless, but recently it has been linked to a neurological disorder called microcephaly, which can stymie brain development in newborn babies. The condition causes babies to be born with abnormally small heads and can lead to early death. More than 2,400 suspected cases of the brain condition have been reported in Brazil since the Zika virus was first reported there early last year, according to government documents posted online by CNN. The country's government has asked that families temporarily hold off on pregnancies. (Read more)
- Lord God, as you continue to fill the earth with Your Glory, we place this virus under Your Shed Blood. Thank You, Lord, that You know how to "undo" the workings of this virus, rendering it harmless. We ask this in Your name, amen and amen.
- ". . . nothing will be impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)
The Daily Jot
Wednesday, January 6, 2016
Conundrum: A prophetic people and Islam
There is a story by AFP about the year anniversary of a terrorist attack in a Paris kosher store following the Charlie Hebdo jihadist attack and how the Jews in France have learned to live under armed guard. Ironic that European Jews are living under armed guard as free and protected people in contrast to Hitler's Europe where they were held under armed guard in ghettos and death camps. They are now prisoners of their freedom because the world refuses to recognize Islam for the political death cult it is. How little things have changed in the past 70 years. Once Nazi tyranny, now Islamic oppression. Satan's players change, but the game is the same. It's time for the world to admit that Islam is antithetic to any good.
Christians are faced with a conundrum: We are commanded to preach the gospel to the ends of the earth and to make disciples. Yet the brutally violent Islam seeks to destroy us, especially if we attempt to evangelize its followers. Some take the stance that Islam is so evil that it should be rooted out. Others take the position that we must have complete reconciliation with Islam through acceptance, fellowship and cooperation. Neither position is correct. This is not "either-or," but rather something in between. We must keep in mind 2 Corinthians 6:14: "Be you not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship has righteousness with unrighteousness? and what partnership has light with darkness?"
At the same time, we should remember 2 Peter 3:9, "The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." The conundrum becomes how to embrace the concept that none should perish and at the same time not fellowship with darkness. The answer is to recognize the evil of Islam as a system, and also understand that individuals who follow Islam need to know the Lord. My point is that for life's sake, we must stand against Islam as an evil entity, and work to bring the true Word of God, Jesus Christ, to individual Muslims. This is a true test of us as Christians and a prophetic people.
In Africa, we stand against Islam at every juncture. Years ago, an Islamic-inspired terrorist group was invading Christian villages, killing men, women and children with machetes because they would not submit to Islam. We brought attention to this, exposed it to the light, and the government was pressured to act against the Islamists. At the same time, we created relationships with individual Muslims and engaged them with the gospel. You may say that you are not "called" to the Muslims. It's difficult for me, too. But I am called and commissioned to share the gospel and to make disciples. The way for the Church to destroy Islam is through the love of Christ. That's how we protect our nation in the long run. Think about it.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Alert from Joel Rosenberg
What if ISIS tries to capture or kill presidential candidates or attack campaign events?
Some thoughts on a very real threat.
With fewer than thirty days remaining until the Iowa caucuses - and the cancer of the Islamic State and other jihadists metastasizing across the globe in attacks like we've seen in Paris and San Bernardino - I am become increasingly concerned about the possibility of an attack by the Islamic State on the campaign trail.
What if ISIS operatives or loyalists (or jihadists affiliated with other terror groups) try to assassinate one or more of the presidential candidates, try to kidnap one or more of them, and/or try to bomb, strafe or otherwise attack a campaign event filled with hundreds or thousands of people?
A terrorist attack against a presidential contender or his/her campaign event would be huge news, reverberating across the nation and around the globe. It would also be chilling to the political process because it could scare people away from attending campaign events as the caucuses and primaries are getting closer.
Most of the presidential candidates - both Democrats and Republicans - are vulnerable because they are so accessible to the public. While local police may provide crowd and traffic control at larger campaign events in certain circumstances, historically they haven't actually been tasked primarily with protecting the candidates and their families and staffs, or with preventing a terror attack. (Read more here)
- Father, we thank You for the wisdom You have given to Joel Rosenberg, as he sounds the alarm on behalf of the protection of all who are running for the presidency in this election year. We do claim Psalm 91 over each candidate, and we thank You that You are a God who hears, and who answers, our prayers. In Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their cry." (Psalm 34:15)
Update from UTT
An Update from "Understanding the Threat"
UTT Reviews Final Republican Presidential Debate of 2015
[Published on Wednesday, December 16, 2015]
Last night (Tuesday) in Las Vegas, Nevada the Republican candidates for President met for their last debate of 2015. The focus of the debate was national security with a large portion of the discussion dedicated to ISIS and the jihadi threat.
UTT now offers a few comments on this debate and each candidate specifically as it relates to their positions on the Islamic threat.
Sadly, there were several illogical streams of thought from the candidates with regard to the Global Islamic Movement, the most obvious of which was the focus primarily on ISIS and the concerns surrounding that, and no spoken understanding of the larger Islamic Movement.
The candidates generally proclaimed:
- We cannot defeat ISIS without partnering with the Muslim world and using Arab forces
- Banning Muslim immigration to U.S. will hurt us in defeating ISIS
- ISIS is "radical" and the threat is primarily "over there"
- There was no mention of sharia as the enemy threat doctrine
- The Saudis are our friends
- There was no mention of destroying Iran's military capability
- There was no mention that most Islamic Centers/Mosques and Islamic organizations in America are hostile/jihadist and, therefore, pose a threat to the American people.
- There was no mention that all of the recent jihadi attacks in America are directly tied to the Muslim Brotherhood's network here
[ To read more about some of each candidate's positions on policies related to Islam in our nation, go here.]
International Prayer Concerns
International Prayer Concerns:
Published by: International Prayer Connect
For an extensive list of time-sensitive needs for prayer at the global level,
please go here.
(Published by John Robb and the International Prayer Council)
Announcing the NDP National Prayer Call
Announcing the NDP National Prayer Call
Thursday, January 7th, 2016
8:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. EST
Welcome to the first of the monthly calls to intercession for our nation, hosted on the first Thursday of each month by the National Day of Prayer Task Force.
Please find below the press release, issued by the Task Force, welcoming all to join in this event. Thank you!
Join: Pray for America Conference Call
Thursday 1/7, 8 - 11 pm ET
Hear updates of 2016 Prayer Opportunities and intercede together for our beloved nation. To include prayer for:
Decision America, 50 Capital Tour
National Weekend of Prayer to End Human Trafficking
United Cry: A Pastor-led Cry to reclaim America's Future
National Security-National Election
San Bernardino-Pastor insights/prayer
Pray for America is every first Thursday
Hosted by National Day of Prayer Task Force
2016 PRAY for AMERICA calls:
Feb. 4, March 3, Apr. 7, May 5, June 2, July 7, Aug. 4, Sept. 1, Oct. 6, Nov. 3, Dec. 1
National Day of Prayer Task Force
Senior Director Prayer Mobilization
The Persecuted Church
Supreme Court Scalia: 'Don't Cram' Government Religious Neutrality 'Down Throats Of Americans'
U.S. government having to be neutral about religion is not supported by the Constitution and is not rooted in American history, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia said Saturday at a speech at a Catholic high school in Louisiana.
"God has been very good to us," Scalia stated, according to the Times-Picayune. "One of the reasons God has been good to us is that we have done Him honor."
Stemming from the Catholic faith, Scalia is considered one of the court's more conservative members.. .
On Saturday, he said the First Amendment prohibits government from endorsing one religion over another. But, he added, that doesn't mean the government has to favor non-religion over religion. He contended the non-religion stance is a more modern reading originating in the courts in the 1960s. . .
He also said there is "nothing wrong" with presidents and others invoking God in speeches, according to The Associated Press.
If Americans want government to be non-religious, he said, they should vote on it instead of courts deciding, reports The Hill.
"Don't cram it (non-religion) down the throats of an American people that has always honored God on the pretext that the Constitution requires it (religious neutrality)," he said, according to the Times-Picayune. (Gospel Herald) Read more.
Our Grandmothers' Songs
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
SOUND THE ALARM!
- "Blow ye the trumpet in Zion, and sound an alarm in My holy mountain: let all the inhabitants of the land tremble: for the day of the Lord cometh, for it is nigh at hand." (Joel 2:1)
Sound the alarm! Let the watchman cry! "Up! for the day of the Lord is nigh; Who will escape from the wrath to come? Who have a place in the soul's bright home?"
Sound the alarm, watchman! Sound the alarm!
For the Lord will come with a conqu'ring arm;
And the hosts of sin, as their ranks advance,
Shall wither and fall at His glance.
Sound the alarm! Let the cry go forth, Swift as the wind, o'er the realms of earth; "Flee to the Rock where the soul may hide! Flee to the Rock! in its cleft abide!"
Sound the alarm on the mountain's brow! Plead with the lost by the wayside now: Warn them to come and the truth embrace; Urge them to come and be saved by grace.
Sound the alarm in the youthful ear; Sound it aloud that the old may hear; Blow ye the trump while the day-beams last! Blow ye the trump till the light is past!
About the Author:
Words: W. Howard Doane
Music: W. Howard Doane
To see a picture of Fanny Crosby, the blind sister who wrote over 8,000 hymns in her lifetime, please go here!
Do you have a favorite hymn that used to be sung in your church, or by your own grandparents? If so, please send us the name of that hymn to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We welcome all nominations! Thank you!
Signs and Wonders
Indian quake rattles 'lost tribe' of Bnei Menashe Jews
An earthquake that struck northeastern India on Monday, killing at least nine people, also caused widespread damage to the Bnei Menashe community, a group believing itself to be descended from the ancient lost Israelite tribe of Menashe, community leaders said.
More than 90 people were injured in the 6.7-magnitude quake that hit the northeastern Indian state of Manipur.
The Shavei Israel organization, which aims to build ties between Israel, established Jewish communities, and far-flung groups that claim Jewish descent, immediately launched an emergency relief fund to help the Bnei Menashe community. (Times of Israel) Read more.
The Good News Corner
Closed on Sundays:
So Why Did These Chick-fil-A Restaurants Open Their Doors Last Weekend?
Chick-fil-A restaurants have a strict policy of remaining closed on Sundays. Recently, however, several locations in north Texas opened their doors last Sunday . . . not to the public but to tornado victims, and emergency workers assisting those affected by the wicked weather last weekend.
According to a Blaze report, Chick-fil-A spokeswoman Amanda Hannah noted that employees of the north Texas restaurants were there to "prepare and distribute free food to emergency responders and others in the aftermath of the deadly storms." (Read more)
Source: Breaking Christian News
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Selah -- Before The Throne Of God Above
Thank You, Lord!
"My dwelling place will be with them; I will be their God, and they will be my people." (Ezekiel 37:27)
Two Daily Conference Calls
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners encourages you to participate, any day of the week, on these calls which are each ongoing, day and night! To learn more about how you can join these calls, please go here.