Take action on FCC Ruling! See GOOD NEWS section, below!
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, July 17, 2013
"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things." (Phil. 4:8 NIV)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. England: Gay marriage is set to become law after clearing the House of Lords - Telegraph UK
The Queen is expected to be asked to give her approval to the Bill - one of the most radical pieces of social legislation of her reign - by the end of this week. It opens the way for the first legally recognised same-sex weddings to take place in England and Wales by next summer and brings the centuries-old understanding of marriage as being solely between a man and a woman to an end.
- Father God, we are seeing history of Sodom and Gomorrah repeat itself if the Queen approves this Bill recognizing same-sex weddings to take place in England. God, move upon this Queen by Your holy power to denounce this Bill. For the sake of England and its people, we ask this in Jesus' holy Name.
-"Nevertheless we make our prayer unto our God, and set a watch against them day and night, because of them." (Nehemiah 4:9)
2. White House plan to arm Syrian rebels stalled, as Congress doubts Obama's strategy - Jerusalem Post
Over a month after the White House announced plans to provide light arms to Syria's opposition forces in their fight against Bashar Assad, no shipments have been dispatched, frustrating the Obama administration as it awaits approval from a skeptical Congress.
- Father, thank You for this delay. May our leaders be wise as serpents in this decision to arm rebel forces. May they use caution before approving these plans. Even Britain has delayed sending arms to the rebels. We pray our leaders seek much council in this matter.
- Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
3. Treasury: Debt Has Been Exactly $16,699,396,000,000.00 for 56 Days -
According to the Daily Treasury Statement for July 12, which the U.S. Treasury released this afternoon, the federal debt that is currently subject to a legal limit of $16,699,421,095,673.60 has stood at exactly $16,699,396,000,000.00 for 56 straight days. That means that for 56 straight days the federal debt has remained approximately $25 million below the legal limit.
- Father God, we thank You for these numbers being revealed to the world that there is proof positive that the Daily Treasury Statement has been touched by human hands to alter the numbers, so they do not overextend the legal limit. The goal of this administration has been reached to max out the federal debt. Now where do they go? We pray Your unlimited power comes down to transfix and hold motionless these figures, so as to expound and declare the treachery behind the scenes, and clamp down on the sins that have brought this about. In Jesus' Name we pray.
- "And they said unto him, Put forth your riddle, that we may hear it."
4. 74% of small businesses will fire workers, cut hours under Obamacare - Washington Examiner
Despite the administration's controversial decision to delay forcing companies to join Obamacare for a year, three-quarters of small businesses are still making plans to duck the costly law by firing workers, reducing hours of full-time staff, or shift many to part-time, according to a sobering survey released by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.
- Father God, You are faithful to Your Word. We thank You for deliverance from this bill, and its complications upon small businesses.
- "Sing praises to God, sing praises; sing praises unto our King, sing praises. For God is the King of all the earth: sing praises with understanding. God reigns over the heathen: God sits upon the throne of His holiness." (Psalm 47:6-8)
5. The Hill: Nuclear option averted as GOP blinks - The Hill
Senate leaders on Tuesday averted the "nuclear option" and threats of a Republican shutdown of the upper chamber by striking a major deal on executive branch nominees at the eleventh hour. (Read more)
> > > Commentary from Gary Bauer:
Yesterday, a handful of Republicans blinked, and it appears as though Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell had little say in the matter. From press reports I have read, the deal that averted the so-called "nuclear option" was brokered by Senator McCain. Without going into all the details, the end result is that Democrats got what they wanted without having to face the public controversy of changing a long-standing Senate rule.
- It does seem that our once-reliable, two-party system, that placed a structure of checks and balances as bills were debated and then passed in Congress . . . is disappearing. This is sad, but our God does have a plan. Trust Him and "pray through" every time you see difficult news like this. God does govern in the affairs of men. Amen.
- "For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." (Jer. 29:11)
6. Fraud claim against Holder bolstered after ruling - WND
Allegations of fraud against Attorney General Eric Holder, other top Justice officials, several prominent Democratic operatives - including a major contributor to Hillary Clinton - and Credit Suisse Bank has been re-ignited by a federal bankruptcy judge's decision that also apparently has derailed the U.S. Senate bid of a former Democrat governor. (Read more)
- Thank our Lord for all hidden things being revealed in this season. Justice must be served, no matter who needs to be held accountable. Pray, amen.
- "Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done." (Rev. 22:12)
7. Kerry arrives in Middle East for continued peace push - Israel Hayom
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry was expected to arrive in the Middle East on Tuesday for the start of his latest round of shuttle diplomacy as he continues to try to renew Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations. The first stop on Kerry's trip, his sixth to the region in recent months, is Jordan.
- Father, deal with the minds of the Palestinians regarding demanding a trade of Israeli land for peace, or the dividing of the State of Israel and Jerusalem. Give them a heart filled with love for their Jewish brothers and a desire to live at peace, without having the hidden intent of the destruction of the Jews being the motive of their peace talks. Reveal Jesus to them by vision and dreams. In Jesus' Name.
- "Their tongue is an arrow shot out; it speaks deceit: one speaks peaceably to his neighbor with this mouth, but in heart he lays his wait." (Jeremiah 9:8)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
" It is because of YHWH's covenantal love that we are not destroyed, because His mercies never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." (Lamentations 3:22-23)
1. EU Redraws Israel Borders to 1949 Lines - Arutz Sheva
The European Union has issued orders forbidding its member states from cooperating, transferring funds, giving scholarships or research grants to bodies in Judea and Samaria, eastern Jerusalem , and even the Golan Heights, Haaretz wrote Tuesday.
- Father, the EU and EC have flagrantly exposed their abuse of power in rising up like a black cloud over Israel by imposing orders that will handcuff Israel in key restrictions. But God loves the State of Israel and the Jewish people and if God be for you, who can be against you. God is likewise against Israel's enemies and the EU and EC have declared themselves enemies of Israel. God has promised Israel that they shall possess the gate of their enemies. The impending results are in the hands of the Lord God of Israel. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Wisdom is too high for a fool. God has made the earth by His power, He has established the world by His wisdom, and has stretched out the heavens by His discretion. For Israel has not been forsaken, nor Judah of His God the Lord of hosts." (Prov. 24:7, Jer. 10:12, 51:5)
2. Netanyahu lashes out at EU, rejects 'foreign dictates about borders' - Times of Israel
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke out on Tuesday against a new European Union directive that bars its 28 member states from cooperating with Israeli entities in the West Bank, the Golan Heights and East Jerusalem. Netanyahu said Israel wouldn't accept dictates about its borders from any outside forces.
- Lord God, we pray that You will stand beside Prime Minister Netanyahu and give him godly wisdom in withstanding the ungodly powers of the EU. Father, dispatch myriads of angels to surround Israel and enforce a mighty combative force against the enemies of Israel and be the powerful strength for them within their borders. Cut down their enemies. In Jesus' Name we pray.
- "Behold I (the Lord) send an angel before you, to keep you in the way, and to bring you into the place which I have prepared." (Exodus 23:20)
3. Analysis: Israel, Egypt forge counterterrorism partnership - Jerusalem Post
Egypt's new military-backed leadership is finding support from at least one unlikely source: Israel.
4. Israelis wishing to cooperate with EU must prove no links to 'territories' - Times of Israel
An Israeli entity that wishes to apply for a "grant, prize or financial instrument" from the European Union must first submit a declaration stating that it has no direct or indirect links with the West Bank, the Golan Heights, east Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip, according to the new directives issued by the EU on Tuesday.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Remember the prisoners, as though in prison with them, and those who are ill-treated, since you yourselves also are in the body." (Hebrews 13:3)
1. Philippines: Catholic Church Looking for Priests to Serve in "Terrorist Lair" - UCA News
The Catholic bishop of Basilan in the southern Philippines is calling for gutsy priests as volunteers to work in the island province which has been torn by violence for years.
Only 16 priests serve in the prelature's 10 parishes, according to Bishop Martin Jumoad. "They're not enough, especially because of the challenges and threats to the lives of the clergy," he said.
Basilan is a rugged, jungle-clad island in Mindanao and a known stronghold of the al-Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf group that has been blamed for terror attacks in the country and the kidnapping of foreign nationals.
The island has been dubbed by the US military as its "second front" in the war against terror, although according to Jumoad, the province has been "relatively peaceful" in recent months.
All priests in the province have to be constantly escorted by soldiers to avoid abductions and assassinations. Several members of the clergy have been kidnapped and even killed in the past.
The prelate admitted that situation is "not stable," despite the recent peace deal signed by the government and rebel Moro Islamic Liberation Front.
2. Christians in Sudan Continue to Face Increases in Intolerance and Persecution - Washington Post
Despite a promise by the Sudanese government to grant its minority Christian population religious freedom, church leaders there said they are beset by increased restrictions and hostility in the wake of the South Sudan's independence.
In 2011, South Sudan, a mostly Christian region, split from the predominantly Muslim and Arab north, in a process strongly supported by the international community and churches in the West.
The two regions had fought a two-decade long civil war that endedÂ in 2005, following the signing of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement. The pact granted the South Sudanese a referendum after a six-year interim period and independence six months later. In the referendum, the people of South Sudan chose separation.
But while the separation is praised as good for political reasons, several churches in Khartoum, the northern capital, have been destroyed and others closed down along with affiliated schools and orphanages.
Christians in Sudan are facing increased arrests, detention and deportation with church-associated centers being raided and foreign missionaries kicked out, according to the leaders.
3. Christian Prisoner in Eritrea Dies While Imprisoned For His Faith - Mission Network News
Open Doors USA recently learned about the death of another Christian in an Eritrean prison.
Yosief Kebedom Gelai, a recently converted single Christian, died in Medefera July 5.
Sources told Open Doors that Yosief, 41, had been sick for a long time, but that the harsh treatment at a secret Medefera incarceration center aggravated the effects of the unknown disease.
Eritrea ranks #10 on the Open Doors World Watch List of countries with the worst persecution of believers. Yosief is the 24th reported death connected to punishment for religious activities outside of the government-sanctioned Catholic Church, Orthodox Church, Lutheran Church, and Islam.
However, because of the government's secrecy surrounding prisoners and denied access to watchdog organizations, there may be many more deaths and burials that have not been reported.
Yosief was originally from Asmara. He went to Mendefera to teach at a primary school some time prior to his arrest. Six months after his arrival, Yosief came to faith in Christ. His devotion to Bible study and prayer caught the attention of representatives of the ruling Eritrean People's Front for Democracy and Justice (EPRDF) at the school.
Authorities arrested him in December and took him to the secret incarceration center in Mendefera where he was kept incommunicado. Sources told Open Doors the center holds many other religious prisoners whose whereabouts were previously unknown to family members and churches.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Daily Jot
Charge Holder & Sharpton with hate speech
Hate speech is defined as: "Speech not protected by the First Amendment, because it is intended to foster hatred against individuals or groups based on race, religion, gender, sexual preference, place of national origin, or other improper classification." Wikipedia adds that hate speech may incite violence against an individual or group. Certainly, the socialists and communists in America have tried to dismantle the First Amendment by adding the category of hate speech to the law. It is mainly aimed at protecting homosexuals, but can be applied to other situations. Given the violence in the wake of the Zimmerman verdict, Attorney General Eric Holder and Rev. Al Sharpton ought to be charged with hate speech.
Holder, who is considering charging George Zimmerman with a hate crime, fanned the flames of violent protests in his speech to the NAACP. Holder said, "It's time to strengthen our collective resolve to combat gun violence but also time to combat violence involving or directed toward our children - so we can prevent future tragedies." We must ask, "What does it mean to "combat" violence?" Violent protestors seem to know his code. He said, "...it's time to question laws that senselessly expand the concept of self-defense and sow dangerous conflict in our neighborhoods." We must ask, "Since when is self defense a "concept" and how on earth does it sow dangerous conflict as when self defense is invoked, the danger is already present?
Holder said, "The list of resulting tragedies is long and-unfortunately-has victimized too many who are innocent. It is our collective obligation-we must stand our ground-to ensure that our laws reduce violence, and take a hard look at laws that contribute to more violence than they prevent." This perceived injustice is why people are rioting. Holder's Justice Department spent your tax dollars to stir up protests against Zimmerman. Holder is a smart man. He knows that using certain words can inflame "nonviolent protests" into violence. The resulting actions prove the true meaning of his words.
The "Reverend" Al Sharpton further fanned the flames, "People all across the country will gather to show that we are not having a two- or three-day anger fit. This is a social movement for justice." Sharpton said, "We are going to fight. Saturday night with the verdict, we lost the battle. We intend to fight." Then he added that they need to do so nonviolently and peacefully.
Holder and Sharpton always add a "non violent" disclaimer, but their words inflame. Light skinned people across the country have been beaten, threatened, and fear for their lives. Holder and Sharpton could have calmed these passions, but instead inflamed them. The Constitution is solely sufficient on free speech. But these men wanted hate speech laws, so they should also be subject to them. Isaiah 59:14 says, "And justice is turned away backward, and righteousness stands afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter." Verse 15 says that because truth has fallen, "he that departs from evil makes himself a prey." We are prey because of these men's words and the actions they inspire.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Obama Nominee for U .N. Ambassador, More
Obama Nominee for U .N. Ambassador, More
Chaplain & National Prayer Director
Family Research Council
Having appointed disgraced former ambassador Susan Rice to be his national security adviser, the President has appointed Samantha Power to be the United States' chief representative to the United Nations. Those in the know warn that Ms. Power poses a danger to the U.S., having a record that demonstrates her willingness to yield U.S. sovereignty to the UN, being apologetic for America where she should be proud, and seemingly friendlier toward our nation's enemies than she is to our own nation. These are serious charges and warnings.
A number of other egregious Obama nominees appear to be headed for a Senate vote. Majority leader Harry Reid threatened to use the "nuclear option" (changing the Senate rules to dispense with the historic filibuster and to impose an up or down vote requiring only a 51% majority). Reportedly, Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.) engineered a deal allowing liberals to prevail. Pres. Obama's nominee for Secretary of Labor, Thomas Perez, too, is outrageous.
- Lord, we cry out desperately to you! Have mercy upon us! Prevent those who reject your law and our nation's Constitution from being confirmed to positions of authority, power, and influence. Cause our elected representatives to oppose such persons and stand up for righteousness at any cost! Give us leaders who fear You!
- "In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears." (Psalm 18:6)
An editorial opinion by Rick Joyner
"Too Big to See"
(Concerning Eric Snowden)
by Rick Joyner, Morningstar Ministriees
At this writing, the saga of Edward Snowden still dominates the news. There may have never been a more poignant example of how easily our media and our elected representatives can take their eyes off the ball and begin to major on minors. Snowden may be a traitor, or he may be a hero, but he is not the real story here. Chasing after the story of Snowden's plight is like trying to swat a gnat when there is a lion in the room about to pounce.
No doubt Snowden revealed secret information illegally. That makes him a criminal, but the real issue is what he exposed: the truth that there has never been a more expansive and intrusive spying on its own citizens by a government in history, as ours is now doing to us.
What our government is guilty of is far worse than anything Snowden did, regardless of his motives. There has never been a more blatant and dangerous violation of our Constitution, Bill of Rights, or a more far-reaching abuse of power by the American Government in history. Pursuing Snowden for his crime may be appropriate, but we should have ten thousand agents going after the ones who did this to the American people for every one that is chasing Snowden.
. . . Why Is America Going So Meekly?
The whole world is outraged by what has come to light by our NSA domestic spying network. They became even more alarmed when they found out that it is not just American citizens whose communications and movements are being monitored, but their citizens too and even they themselves. It was disclosed that soon the NSA will have the capability of doing the same with almost everyone on the planet. The question most of the world is now asking is why are American citizens being so passive about this?
Why did our media and elected officials suddenly become so preoccupied with Snowden and suddenly stop protesting the NSA's domestic spying? Did the NSA have something on them that they were able to hold over their heads? The fact that information obtained by the NSA is already being used in this way has been implied, and the evidence sure looks like it. However, even if it is not being done, it will be suspected from now on. What else could have gotten the media and our elected representatives off of an issue this big to focus everything on Snowden?
Even the left leaning Politico carried a story lamenting that Snowden's greatest fear was coming to pass-that the greatest threat to our freedom, possibly ever, could be revealed and nothing would be done about it. Is this something that is too big to see, too big to believe? . . . What our Government is doing spying on Americans through the NSA is appalling. Yet when you combine it with the other cascading revelations about the use of the IRS, the FBI, and the DOJ to undermine or destroy political opponents, we must see that not only is the apparatus of the most terrible police state now in place, but the tactics of a police state are already being used.
The ACLU Joins Conservatives
This may be almost as shocking as what the NSA is doing to us, but it is true. The ACLU stood up boldly and quickly to declare that what the NSA is doing is the biggest violation of our Constitution ever, and they filed a suit against the Government. Right now the ACLU is demonstrating more courage, wisdom, and leadership in this crisis than even the Republican leadership in Congress. All that our country was founded and built upon is at stake, and our fate will be decided over the next few months. We are now facing something much bigger than any Democratic or Republican Party issue. If this is allowed to stand, our Republic is doomed. We will soon be under the yoke of the most oppressive totalitarian state in history, made possible by our modern technology.
It has now fallen upon us to do what our Founders did when they risked their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor to throw off the yoke of the oppressor. The American Revolution was not a tax revolt as those who twist history would have us believe. The stifling and increasing taxation was number seventeen on their list of grievances. Far worse for the colonists were things like having their children kidnapped and made servants on British ships, having their property abused and even confiscated, and being treated like an occupied people by the British army. The things our own Government is doing to us now are worse. . . . We cannot let what our Founders, and so many others who have sacrificed so much for us to have this freedom, be lost on our watch. It is now going to take the same kind of courage and fortitude to save the Republic as it took to found it. It is our time. Will we measure up?
. . . If it is proven that Snowden is a traitor or that he did this as an agent of a foreign government, then he must be tracked down and prosecuted. If he did it for the reasons he claims, and at this writing this seems to be the case, then he deserves the Medal of Freedom, not prosecution.
. . . The Tipping Point
President Obama said that we would need to have the discussion about trading freedom for security. As we see in Scripture, even Caiaphas, the High Priest who condemned Jesus to death, can be used to prophesy. I think Obama prophesied when he said this. America is right now choosing between the security of a prison and freedom.
We can count on 30% of Americans to choose security. These will side with the Government and believe Government to be the answer to every problem. The majority of those in conventional media are in this 30%, so they can make it look like the majority. However, they are, in fact, the minority.
We can likewise count on 30% doubting everything the Government says or does and will, without even thinking, choose freedom over Government intrusion. Right now, even though everything the Government or Obama is doing is not wrong, it is far better to be skeptical of Government. We must stay on point to challenge the really big and really dangerous threats.
There are about 40% between these two camps that can go either way. This was the breakdown of Americans in 1776 and has remained about the same since. However, for now we must throw off the yoke of thinking in terms of getting the magical 51% majority needed to pass a bill or win an election. We don't need a majority to save our country as much as we need courage.
This whole matter could be settled by a tiny minority, even 2% or less, on either side of the issue. Marx has been proven true that a tiny minority of the passionate can rule the majority who are indifferent. The great tipping points in history that have brought profound cultural change have consistently come from less than the square root of 1% of the population affected. That means that less than 100 people can profoundly impact and determine the course of a city of one million.
. . .We must keep it simple and just do the right thing. Even if we fail, we will be able to stand before our King without shame. It will be much better to take our stand and fail, than not to have stood. However, we can read the end of the story in our Book. We win in the end. It is time for boldness and courage. It is time for the righteous to arise.
[Please note: we have reprinted only a small portion of this excellent article. We encourage you to go here to read this in its entirety.]
Prayers During Ramadan
Damascus, Syria: the blood-drenched city
For Thursday July 18, Ramadan 2013 - Day 10.
"Loving Muslims Through Prayer"
Damascus is the oldest inhabited city in the world. It has suffered endless invasions, with all the horror that accompanies them. Estimates as of mid 2013 spoke of over 94,000 killed in its latest crisis.
Meanwhile, a pastor in downtown Damascus, refuses to abandon the sheep; amazingly, God is doing a new thing. Christians are in shock as they watch their churches fill with strangers - Muslims! Muslim women, fully veiled, along with their children and men are flocking to Jesus by the hundreds.
Pray for peace to come, accompanied by religious freedom and just rulers (Proverbs 13:25).
Pray for Christians who choose to stay in Syria to be protected and used mightily in their witness to shell-shocked neighbours looking for a new way of life.
Pray for Christians abroad to pray and help those suffering inside Syria as well as those who are now refugees - "'. . . whatever you did for one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'" (Matthew 25:40).
Complete article, video, audio, comments is here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
FCC Delays Ruling on Loosening TV Moral Standards;
Wants More Public Feedback
> > > Follow the steps in this article to send your opinion to the FCC before August 2nd.
The Federal Communications Commission has postponed making a decision on whether to allow more nudity and profanity on television until August 2.
The Hill newspaper reported that regulators are extending the deadline for the public to comment on the proposal.
The FCC has reportedly already received more than 100,000 comments, most of them in opposition.
"We recognize the importance of affording all interested parties sufficient time to review the comments in the Docket and to prepare their reply comments," the FCC said. "We also respect the interest of the public in having sufficient time for review and consideration of the various positions and concerns."
If you'd like to register your opinion with the FCC, the American Family Association is rallying viewers to register their complaints. They've released the following the directions to assist anyone who opposes the move.
1. Please follow these instruction carefully, to ensure your comment is accepted by the FCC:
2. Go to the FCC website.
3. Enter the code "13-86" in the "Proceeding Number" box and fill out the few remaining required fields.
4. Enter your comment in the text box provided and click "Continue."
5. From there, review your comment and click "confirm."
SAMPLE: I oppose any changes to the current FCC indecency standards that would allow television and radio stations to broadcast expletives and nudity on the public airwaves, even if brief or "fleeting."
(Sources: CBN and Breaking Christian News)
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
We Exalt Your Name
Spirit come change the atmosphere
Convict and open hearts here
The anthems that the angels sing
The worship of the King of Kings