Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Thursday, July 25, 2013
"Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around
like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." (1 Peter 5:8)
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at email@example.com, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
The Daily Brief
1. Pentagon report: China, Iran and North Korea close to nuclear capability - Ha'aretz
China, North Korea and Iran will all soon have nuclear missiles capable of reaching the U.S., according to a report published by the PentagonThursday.
- Father, as Americans have been embroiled in the scandals of this administration, the world's rogue governments have quietly upgraded their nuclear capability. We place our survival and hope in Your protection against attack by these three enemies.
- "A thousand may fall at your side; and ten thousand at your right hand; but it shall not come near you." [Psalm 91:7]
2. Obamacare's Branch of the NSA - National Review
. . . The Department of Health and Human Services is about to hire an army of "patient navigators" to inform Americans about the subsidized insurance promised by Obamacare and assist them in enrolling. These organizers will be guided by the new Federal Data Hub, which will give them access to reams of personal information compiled by federal agencies ranging from the IRS to the Department of Defense and the Veterans Administration.
- Father, we continue to pray that You will stop the potential abuses of information gathered under Obamacare. We are weary, Lord, but we pray for renewed hope and mercy over our nation.
- "You are wearied in the length of your way, yet you did not say, 'There is no hope.' You have found the life of your hand; therefore you were not grieved." [Isaiah 57:10]
3. San Antonio proposal could set the stage for barring Christians from city council -Washington Times
The San Antonio City Council is proposing an updated non-discrimination policy that effectively bans any city council member from being elected if he or she has ever "demonstrated a bias."
- Father, when corrupt people run a government, the laws become corrupt with them. We pray against this proposal, and pray that You will stop it from becoming law.
- "All who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. But evil men and imposters will grow worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived." [2 Timothy 3:12-13]
4. Look! Up in the sky! It's an antimissile blimp! - CNet
If you visit the Washington, D.C. area in coming years and see a pair of large blimp hovering high overhead, there's a good chance they won't belong to Goodyear.
- Father, we turn our trust to You to protect this nation. We have seen that we cannot trust government programs, and that even the drones could be easily turned against our own citizens. We call for Your help and ask that these blimp not be used on innocent people.
- "Some may trust in horses, and some in chariots, but we will remember the name of the Lord our God." [Psalm 20:7]
5. California Set to Release 10K Moderate to High-Risk Inmates - Breitbart
California is all set to release up to 9,600 more prison inmates into society, most of them moderate-to-high-risk criminals, under the terms of a 2008 Supreme Court ruling suggesting that overcrowding was violating inmates' Constitutional rights.
- Father, there are excellent solutions to prison over-crowding, but it appears that not only the courts, but state governments cannot see those answers. Without You, our society is lost. We ask for wisdom for the leaders of our nation, and for Your people to rise up and show forth truth on this issue.
- "Arise, shine, for your light has come! And the glory of the Lord is risen upon you." [Isaiah 60:1]
6. Feds put heat on Web firms for master encryption keys - CNet
The U.S. government has attempted to obtain the master encryption keys that Internet companies use to shield millions of users' private Web communications from eavesdropping.
- Lord, as this administration continues its push to secretly watch the people, we pray that Your Holy Spirit will make blind eyes see Your truth, and seeing eyes blind to Your people.
- "See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil." [Ephesians 5:15-16]
7. House Fails to Repeal NSA's Dragnet Phone Surveillance Authority - Wired
The House today narrowly defeated an amendment to a defense spending package that would have repealed authorization for the National Security Agency's dragnet collection of phone-call metadata in the United States.
- Father, the rule of law that has served America well over the years has been completely demolished by our leadership. The fourth amendment to the Constitution guarantees probable cause, but it has been stripped away by laws that grant power to people who deliberately try to create fear. We call on Your heart for protection from this government and mercy for Your people.
- "For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work;" [2 Thessalonians 2:7a]
8. Lawmakers battle over push to create military 'chaplain' for atheists - Fox News
Members of Congress are set to square off over a push to create military chaplains for people who do not believe in God.
- Father, we repent for our foolish leaders, who have gone too far in their penchant to remove You from our military. We ask You to stop this ludicrous action, and plead with You not to abandon America to the purveyors of atheism.
- "The way of peace they have not known, and there is no justice in their ways." [Isaiah 59:8a]
9. Spain Declares 3 Days of Mourning for Deadly Train Crash Victims - Breaking Christian News
Northwest Spain was rocked by a terrible derailing and crash of the Madrid Ferrol train, last night, that took the lives of 80 people, according to the CNN report. At least 130 were reportedly taken to the hospital, 32 seriously injured-those included some children. Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy has declared three days of mourning in Spain, for the victims of the disaster. (Read more)
- Is it possible that this tragedy might be linked to the recent decision by the European Union, announcing it would ban funding any nongovernmental organizations that have ties with Jewish communities or businesses in Judea, Samaria and parts of Jerusalem that were not part of Israel prior to 1967? (See The Daily Jot for more.)
Pray for those who are in mourning today in Spain; may our Abba draw each one close to Himself for comfort and for salvation. And may every nation take heed: it is dangerous to injure Israel -- the apple of God's eye. Amen.
- "And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem." (Zechariah 12:9)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
'Thus says the Lord God, "When I gather the house of Israel from the peoples among whom they are scattered, and will manifest My holiness in them in the sight of the nations, then they will live in their land which I gave to My servant Jacob. They will live in it securely; and they will build houses, plant vineyards and live securely when I execute judgments upon all who scorn them round about them. Then they will know that I am the Lord their God."
1. Israel Angered by U.S. Leaks of Submarine Missile Attack on Syria - Washington Free Beacon
Israeli government officials voiced anger at U.S. press leaks traced to the Pentagon following the July 5 Israeli missile attack on the Syrian port of Latakia that destroyed a shipment of Russian-made anti-ship missiles, according to U.S. officials.
2. Majority of Israelis would back a peace deal, poll finds - Times of Israel
A full 55 percent of Israelis are likely to support Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu if he were to submit a peace agreement with the Palestinians to a public referendum, according to a poll whose results were released Wednesday.
3. Quiet settlement freeze: Netanyahu denies, Ariel thinks otherwise - Ynet News
The renewal of the peace process is becoming a more realistic possibility, but the policy regarding continued construction beyond the Green Line is still unclear. In a letter sent Tuesday, Housing and Construction Minister Uri Ariel reveals the ambiguity with which Netanyahu is managing the issue: To those within his party, the prime minister says that construction in the territories continues without reservation, but the minister states that there is no coordination between the two men on the subject, and hints that policy on the ground does not allow for the promotion of projects in the settlements.
4. Lapid to back bill calling for referendum on any peace deal - Jerusalem Post
Finance Minister Yair Lapid (Yesh Atid) plans to support legislation that requires a referendum on the terms of a peace treaty with the Palestinians.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Preserve me, O God, for I take refuge in You." (Psalm 16:1)
1. Non-Muslim Pupils in Malaysia Forced to Eat in Bathroom During Ramadan - AsiaNews
Non-Muslim children in a Malaysian primary school were forced to have lunch in the facility's change room whilst their classmates fasted during Ramadan. Pictures of ethnic Chinese and Indian (usually Christian or Hindu) children were posted on the internet by one of the mothers, Guneswari Kelly, causing an uproar among politicians and Muslims opposed to unhygienic segregation.
On her Facebook page, Kelly Guneswari wrote that staff at the Sri Pristana School, in suburban Kuala Lumpur, told non-Muslim children to eat in the school's bathroom and not in the canteen. "Is this fair? Can [a national school] treat [non-Muslim pupils] like this" during Ramadan?
After being informed, Deputy Prime Minister and Education Minister Muhyiddin Yassin ordered an investigation into the matter, saying he would take action.
School officials have not released any statement, but Jehan Bakar, a Muslim woman lawyer and mother of two, said she was "horrified" by the segregation of non-Muslim children. Our "religion does not dictate this," she insisted.
2. The Arab Springtime is a Nightmare for Syrian Christians - CWR
Now that Syria is in shambles-with an estimated 93,000 dead, 1.5 million refugees, and 4.5 million internally displaced; ancient churches torched, destroyed, or vandalized; Christians targeted for murder and kidnapping and even used as human shields-now the mainstream media is starting to admit that, yes, the rebel forces appear to include quite a few Islamist guerrillas. Now that even chemical warfare has made its appearance, with Carla Del Ponte, a member of the International Commission of Inquiry on Syria, confirming that "the chemical weapons are being used by the rebels, not the men faithful to Bashar al Assad"; now that clergy are being kidnapped, with still no word of kidnapped bishops Yohanna Ibrahim and Boulos Yazigi and with the beheading of a cleric by Islamist rebels available on YouTube for all to see-now the London-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights has started including some jihadist rebel atrocities in their reports.
Now that women are having to cover up with the abaya, or at least keep a veil handy when they venture out, just in case (something previously inconceivable in Syria), now the press is reporting the establishment of sharia courts which, according to the Washington Post, pass sentences "daily and indiscriminately" on Christians and anyone else who violates precepts of Wahhabi Islam.
Now that the economy has been brought to its knees by the widespread destruction and looting of stores and workshops; now that famine is at hand in the city of Aleppo, and foodstuffs are to be had only at enormous prices; now that the terrorists have reached Homs and Aleppo and the mountains above Damascus-now at last the press seems to have stopped describing the rebels' fight as a high-minded struggle for "freedom."
3. Ethnic Christians in Burma Say Religious Freedom Still Not a Reality - MNN
Around the world, July is a historic month.
On July 4, 1776, thirteen colonies that would eventually become the United States of America declared independence from Great Britain. Nelson Mandela, figurehead for equality in South Africa and eventual president of that nation, was born to a Tembu tribal chieftain in 1918.
Boris Yeltsin, the first popularly elected president in Russia's thousand-year history, took the oath of office on July 10, 1991.
It's no different in Burma.
Earlier this month, the primarily-Christian Chin people had their first-ever meeting with the European Union. Christian Aid Mission, your link to indigenous missions, says Burma first heard the Gospel 200 years ago in July.
At the EU hearing, officials took a look at key challenges facing the ethnic Chin, including significant human rights abuses.
According to the Chin Human Rights Organization (CHRO)--one of the groups who testified in the EU hearing, approximately 100,000 Chin refugees in India face substantial challenges. Over the past two years, more than 100 violent sexual assaults have taken place in Delhi alone.
"In a sense, what is happening in Chin State is a barometer for the rest of the country," CHRO Program Director Salai Za Uk Ling testified at the hearing. "Serious human rights abuses by the Burma Army continue with impunity, including sexual violence.
"We want to shine a light on the root causes, such as ethnic and religious discrimination, and the urgent need to deepen the reforms."
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Daily Jot
Israel, the EU, the US and prophecy
There has been a huge train wreck in Spain, killing some 77 people. The US House of Representatives voted to continue spying on Americans. There is a tropical storm brewing in the Caribbean. All this and more since Secretary of State John Kerry announced he is forcing Israel and the Palestinian Authority to the peace table, AND the European Union announced it would ban funding any nongovernmental organizations that have ties with Jewish communities or businesses in Judea, Samaria and parts of Jerusalem that were not part of Israel prior to 1967. Many people would say it is merely coincidence that these events pressuring Israel and the political, financial or natural disasters are linked.
In Genesis 12:2,3, the Lord tells Abram "And I will make thee a great nation...And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curses thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed." This was the beginning of Israel. Throughout the Bible this promise can be seen, even to the Day of the Lord. In Zechariah 12:9, the Lord says, "And it shall come to pass in that day, that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem." The question is: Do we see types and shadows of these promises today when the nations come against Israel? White House correspondent Bill Koenig has documented such things in his book "Eye to Eye: the consequences of dividing Israel."
People will say, why just the US or Europe? What about the Islamic nations that are actually coming against Israel? Maybe we have become so accustomed to it, but look at the horrors that face the Muslim people in those countries every day. There is immense poverty. Women and children are sold into slavery or are treated worse than animals when compared with other societies. There is turmoil throughout the region that is named in Ezekiel and by the other prophets of nations who are named in the Day of the Lord. "Palestinian" children are taught in their schools that Jews are pigs and that they should be slaughtered in Jihad. If you don't believe it, look it up. There are many credible references on this.
Now Saudi Arabia is petitioning the United Nations to pressure Israel to "end human rights violations against the Palestinian people." In a statement to the UN Security Council, Saudi Arabia's Charge D'affaires asked the UN to "make [Israel] understand that there is no choice but peace and that this issue is not limited only to routine reviews in the Security Council's deliberations." Trouble is, the "peace" of Islam and the peace of other nations are two different things. Islamic peace means submission to Islam. Watch and see if there are prophetic consequences to coming against Israel. As the prophet Jeremiah said, "They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people lightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace."
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Prayers During Ramadan
Born Muslim: hold the children's hands
For Friday July 26, Ramadan 2013 - Day 18.
"Loving Muslims Through Prayer"
A large percentage of Muslim children are born into extreme poverty. Some are forced to beg for survival, many are abused and drawn into drug trafficking or prostitution, some join gangs or rebel armies and terrorist groups.
While many of God's people are full of compassion for young children and doing good works in street shelters, orphanages and helping feed and educate children, more needs to be done.
- Pray together that more people will respond to the need for holding hands and reaching children with the message of the gospel in word and deed (Lamentations 2:19).
- Let's hold hands for God's protection on and mercy to children in Muslim nations (Proverbs 22:6).
- Let's pray together for God to show you how you can be involved in helping Muslim children in need (Matthew 28:19).
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
County Clerk Asks California Supreme Court to Enforce Marriage Amendment
A San Diego county clerk on Friday asked the California Supreme Court to enforce the state's constitutional marriage amendment defining the institution as a union between one man and one woman. The petition is similar to the one filed earlier this month by the official proponents of Prop 8.
These lawsuits are a response to the U.S. Supreme Court's decision last month to dismiss a case challenging Prop 8. Shortly after, the 9th U.S. Circuit of Appeals issued an order which state executives interpreted as immediately allowing same-sex marriages to be performed. State Registrar Tony Agurto - at the direction of Gov. Jerry Brown and Attorney General Kamala Harris - then ordered county clerks to approve the licenses.
San Diego County Clerk Ernest Dronenburg Jr. argues that the U.S. Supreme Court decision only applies to the two couples and two county clerks named in the original federal lawsuit. There are 58 counties in California. (CitizenLink) Read more.
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
IF MY PEOPLE
Then if my people who are called by my name will
humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn
from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will
forgive their sins and restore their land. (2 Chronicles 7: 12-16)