CHPP will join The Persecution Watch in a special conference call tonight at 9:00 p.m. EDT. Details below.
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, April 5, 2013
"By His stripes, we are healed." (Isaiah 53:5)
Guidelines for today's American Prayer Initiative can be found by going here.
Today's Daily Jot can be found by going to: www.dailyjot.com or by using
The Daily Brief
1. US Show of Force in Korean Peninsula Helpful? - VOA
The United States' highly visible show of force on the Korean peninsula has raised some concern by analysts that such gestures may be provoking further bellicose action by North Korea rather than deterring it. The U.S. has used some of its most advanced stealth bombers and fighters in highly publicized annual military exercises with South Korea over the past several weeks. It is also expanding American missile-defense systems in the region and moving two guided-missile destroyers closer.
- Abba, surely we are in the days of wars and rumors of wars, throughout the world. We thank You that You are the King of all kings, and our eyes are upon You, our Prince of Peace. We see Your hand moving, and know Your eye is watchful, and You carry out Your Word. Lord, we pray that You will stay the hand of the enemy. We know that our struggle is not with flesh and blood, but principalities and powers, which You have already defeated. We rebuke all fear from those who put their trust in You. You make even the wrath of man to praise You. We do ask for Your divine protection over those who are threatened, and pray restraint upon the enemy. Give our leaders Your wisdom and strategy, we pray. Amen.
- "Surely the wrath of man shall praise You; the remainder of wrath shall You restrain and gird and arm Yourself with it." (Psalm 76:10)
2. US to Send Missile Defenses to Guam - VOA
The Pentagon plans to deploy missile defense batteries to its Pacific island territory of Guam to counter threats from North Korea, including the latest warning by Pyongyang to take "actual military countermeasures" against the United States involving, it said, cutting edge nuclear weapons. U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said on Wednesday that the North's rhetoric presents a real and clear danger - and one that is not likely to go away soon.
- Lord, we thank You for this defensive move on the part of our nation to protect our interests, in light of the threatenings from the leader of North Korea. We ask that these missile defense batteries will be effective in intercepting any missiles fired toward it from Korea. We ask that the rhetoric will not escalate any further, but that a peaceable solution can be found quickly. Thank You for Your protection and wisdom.
- "So now, Lord, take note of their threats; and enable Your servants to speak Your message with boldness." (Acts 4:29)
3. Pentagon Approves Sale of Lockheed or Boeing Fighters to S. Korea - VOA
The U.S. Defense Department on Wednesday said it has approved the sale of either the Lockheed Martin Corporation's F-35 stealth fighter or Boeing's F-15 Silent Eagle fighter to South Korea, which is expected to announce the winner of a 60-jet competition later this year. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which oversees foreign military sales, notified U.S. lawmakers last Friday about the possible sales to South Korea as tensions continued to mount with North Korea.
- Lord, we thank You that our nation is helping to protect our ally, South Korea, in the light of the threats being made from their north. Father, we understand that the leader of North Korea fashions himself as a messiah, and wants to be worshipped. We ask that You would remove the blinders from his eyes, and He would have an encounter with the real God. May he quake at the revelation of You, and fall on his face before You (like the false god, Dagon, did in the presence of the Ark of Your Covenant), and repent. May You bring good out of this whole situation, that You would bring glory to Yourself. Amen.
- "Why do the nations rage, And the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and rulers take counsel together." (Psalm 2:2)
4. Obama Executive Orders Nationalizing Energy, Food, Water, Everything Else - New American
Last week, on March 28, just before the Easter weekend, the White House press office released President Obama's latest executive order, on the "Establishment of the Presidential Commission of Election Administration." Although stating the purpose of ensuring against voter fraud, or disenfranchising voters, it seeks to impose more interference in the voting process and results. (Read more)
- Abba, as we have noted previously, we are concerned about the excessive amount of "Executive Orders" being invoked by this administration, when Congress is not in session. We know that this option is valid in emergency situations, but, it seems it is becoming all too common, and "circumventing" Congress deliberately. We ask that somehow this will be curtailed, by Congress itself, and that their would be better control and guidelines enacted to prevent the executive branch from overstepping its boundaries. Just as we do not want the Supreme Court to "legislate from the bench," neither do we want the Executive branch "legislating" from the White House. Our Constitution states that the Legislative branch (Congress) is the one to enact laws. We ask Lord, for wisdom, in dealing with any and all "misusing" of these powers. Amen.
- "But all things should be done with regard to decency and propriety and in an orderly fashion." (I Corinthians 14:40)
5. Obama proposes cuts to Social Security - VOA
President Barack Obama's proposed budget will call for reductions in the growth of Social Security and other benefit programs while still insisting on more taxes from the wealthy in a renewed attempt to strike a broad deficit-cutting deal with Republicans, a senior administration official says. The plan will also include reductions in Medicare spending for the elderly, much of it by targeting payments to healthcare providers and drug firms.
- Abba, we ask that the elderly of our nation, many on a "fixed" income, will not be penalized for the government's overspending. We realize that the elderly are not among the "income producers" anymore, but Your Word, does say that we should show honor and respect to our elders and provide for them. We realize that we live in a time, and world, where the very young and the very old are not respected . . . hence abortion, and rising euthanasia. So, again, we appeal to You, our Protector, and the Righteous Judge to turn hearts to Your Word, and the honoring of it. Amen.
- "Honor (esteem and value as precious) your father and your mother- this is the first commandment with a promise- that all may be well with you and that you may live long on the earth." (Ephesians 6:2,3)
6. Job growth plunges, workers leaving labor force - CNBC
Stocks dropped more than 1 percent across the board Friday, with all key S&P sectors in the red, following a much weaker-than-expected March unemployment report in addition to ongoing worries over North Korea. The Dow Jones Industrial Average tumbled more than 150 points, dragged by Cisco and Bank of America. The S&P 500 and the Nasdaq also slumped sharply.The number of Americans filing jobless claims reached a four-month high last week, sparking renewed concerns that the labor market is still on shaky ground. The Labor Department reported Thursday that weekly applications increased by 28,000, the third straight increase, to a seasonally adjusted 385,000. That's the highest level since late November.
- Father, we saw a very small positive increase in the job growth market last week, but now it seems to be plunging again. We look to You for wisdom, again, and the fortitude to make tough decisions in cutting so much "pork" from our budget, so we can live within our means. We do ask for godly priorities to be put before our legislators, and president, whereby we can pay our bills and not waste it on frivolous spending. We, as citizens, have had to learn this lesson in our personal finances. We realize that our leaders have much wealth, financially, and perhaps they do not understand the concept of need. However, without jobs there is no income to depend on to feed our families, let alone pay our bills. So, we do ask for wisdom, and creative ideas for those who need them . . . and curtailing of spending, for those who need to do that, as well. We thank You for Your love and provision, Amen.
- "And you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He Who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is to this day." (Deuteronomy 8:18)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Be still, and know that I am God! I will be praised among the nations. I will be praised in the land. YHWH of Hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah." (Psalm 46: 10,11)
1. Egypt seizes Iranian ship loaded with weapons - Jerusalem Post
Egyptian navy forces captured a Togo flagged ship carrying heavy weapons as it entered Egyptian waters in the Red Sea late on Wednesday, three security sources told Reuters on Thursday.
2. Israeli envoy calls on UN to condemn Gaza rocket fire - Times of Israel
Israel's Ambassador to the UN Ron Prosor called on UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and on the Security Council to condemn the recent attacks on Israel by Gaza-based terrorists, calling it "an unacceptable breach of the understandings that were reached following Israel's military operation against Hamas last November."
3. Hamas reportedly training Syrian rebels in Damascus - jpost The military unit of Hamas has broken ties with former ally Syrian President Bashar Assad and began training members of the opposition's Free Syrian Army in Damascus, the Times of London reported on Friday. Anonymous diplomatic sources told the Times that members of the Izzadin Kassam Brigades were training FSA units in the rebel-held neighborhoods of Yalda, Jaramana and Babbila in the Syrian capital.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."
( 2 Corinthians 5:1) )
1. What Does Real Persecution Look Like? - Christian Post
In September 2005, a middle-aged woman was taken by state security officials from her home in North Korea's North Pyongan Province. She was put under arrest and taken to a local farm, where government officials had assembled in the threshing area to carry out her punishment. The sole civilian witness eventually fled to South Korea and reported what unfolded next to the Database Center for North Korean Human Rights. As he told the private human rights group, "Guards tied her head, her chest, and her legs to a post, and shot her dead." He added, "I was curious why she was to be shot. Somebody told me she had kept a Bible at her home."
Merely having the Christian Scriptures, which likely were smuggled across the border from China, put the unknown woman under suspicion of converting to Christianity, and perhaps even sharing her new faith with others. Our research, drawn from United Nations studies, U.S. governmental sources, newspaper accounts and documentation from churches, think tanks and human rights groups, found that in North Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia and elsewhere, Christian conversion is treated as a capital crime or otherwise severely punished.
2. Kidnappers target Christians in Egypt - Associated Press
Ezzat Kromer's resistance to his kidnappers did not last long. One of the masked gunmen fired a round between his feet as he sat behind the wheel of his car and said with chilling calm, "The next one will go into your heart."
The Christian gynecologist says he was bundled into his abductors' vehicle, forced to lie under their feet in the back seat for a 45-minute ride, then dumped in a small cold room while his kidnappers contacted his family over a ransom.
For the next 27 hours, he endured beatings, insults and threats to his life, while blindfolded, a bandage sealing his mouth and cotton balls in his ears.
Kromer's case is part of a dramatic rise of kidnappings targeting Christians, including children, in Egypt's southern province of Minya, home to the country's largest concentration of Christians but also a heartland for Islamist hard-liners.
3. Christian Pastor in India Beaten to Death - BosNewsLife
Police in India's southwestern city of Bangalore continued searching Thursday, April 4, for murder suspects after the priest and rector of a major Catholic seminary was found beaten to death.
K.J. Thomas, 64, was discovered by another priest lying in a pool of blood in the corridor near his room at Bangalore's 'St. Peter's Pontifical Seminary' early Monday, April 1, police and Christians said.
"The attackers killed Father K.J. Thomas hitting him in the face and head with a brick," explained the Global Council of Indian Christians (GCIC), an advocacy group representing churches and mission groups.
His face and body was mangled with priests and seminarians struggling to recognize him, according to police investigators.
Police initially said the motive for the attack was theft as some documents were missing from Thomas and administration. Critics questioned that explanation, saying his computer, iPad tablet and other personnel belongings were not touched.
India has seen widespread attacks against Christian leaders and devoted church members at a time when Hindu hardliners try to halt the spread of Christianity, rights groups say.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
Conference Call for Persecuted Church in N.K.
Conference Call for Persecuted Church in North Korea
Tonight at 9:00 p.m. EDT (Adjust to your own time zone)
Hosted by: Blaine Scoggin
The Persecution Watch
Conference Number: 209.255.1000
Access Code: 109083#
A note from Blaine Scogin:
Dear Brothers and Sisters,
Last night God brought twelve precious saints together in one spirit to cry our for N. Korea and S. Korea. There was much unity around the throne of Jesus and I believe God heard our prayers. There was one precious testimony from a sister. She shared about a N. Korean saint she knew. This N. Korean saint had been put in solitary confinement in prison where she almost died. But this courageous saint testified that it was hearing the prayers of the saints that enabled her to endure the ordeal of prison.
My brothers and sisters the persecuted do hear our prayers. Thus tonight given the urgency of N. Korea we will convene another prayer call. If you are so led please come and pray tonight.
Tonight Persecution Watch will be praying with intercessors from Capitol Hill Prayer Partners to intercede for the Korean peninsula. CHPP has been very supportive of our prayer watch and it will be an honor to pray with these saints tonight.
The call is 8pm CST. Those in other time zones please adjust your call in times to correspond to the central call in time. US callers please call in on 209.255.1000. Canadian callers please call in on 559.670.1000. Access code for both numbers is 109083#.
Lord willing see you in the prayer room.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
ONLINE FOR LIFE!
Ending Abortion in America
How ONLINE for life is saving babies . . . SO EVERY CHILD MAKES THEIR MARK
The vast majority of women and men looking for abortions go online to find abortion-related information. Online for Life uses advanced Internet tools and techniques to reach them on the Internet. We give them the option to connect with the Online for Life Response Center (a 9-1-1 style, specially trained call center), local, life affirming pro-life organizations, and mobile ultrasound units. Abortion-determined parents are invited to visit these centers, and are provided the truthful picture about abortion and life in the womb with grace, compassion, and love. As a result, these parents often chose life for their child.
We work every day to save innocent, pre-born babies from abortion, but our hearts are also burdened for the parents. We understand the damage abortion can do to relationships as well as emotional and spiritual health. We work to preserve life: the life of the child in the moment of decision, the future of the child that survives an abortive situation, and the lives and well being of the parents.
While our core focus is to rescue babies from abortion, we are also driven by compassion for the mothers and fathers. In saving their unborn child, we know that we will also be saving them from a lifetime of pain and regret.
At Online for Life we believe that ultimately ending abortion requires comprehensive care. That's why we have forged valuable partnerships with over fifty pro-life organizations across the country that work alongside churches, medical facilities, mentoring organizations, and mobile ultrasound unit providers to offer holistic care to abortion-determined men and women even after they've chosen life.
To learn more about Online for Life, including how you can secure an APP for your mobile device, go to their website at: www.onlineforlife.org
To learn more about the ministry itself, go here.
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
T h e D e c l a r a t i o n o f I n d e p e n d e n ce
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Beneath The Waters
I will rise, I will rise
As Christ was raised to life
Now in Him, now in Him
I stand a new creation
Baptized in blood and fire
No fear of condemnation
By faith I'm justified