Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, February 6, 2013
"The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it." (John 1:5)
Guidelines for today's American Prayer Initiative can be found by going here.
Today's Daily Jot can be found by going to: www.dailyjot.com or by using
The Daily Brief
1. Supreme Court Wants Answers After Soldier Jailed for Killing Suspected Terrorist Who Attacked Him - WoldNetDaily
Lower courts have concluded that since Michael Behenna was holding the terror suspect at gunpoint, he gave up the right to defend himself when the suspect allegedly lunged for his service weapon. The suspect, Ali Mansur, was thought to be involved in a series of attacks on American troops. . . Behenna's appeal brief to the high court argues soldiers have guns for a reason - to "maintain a tactical advantage, control and dangerous situation, or restrain potential enemies."Therefore, the petition states, soldiers should not be prevented from defending themselves if an enemy attacks.
- Father, intervene for this soldier's right to defend himself in the face of a terrorist who lunged for his weapon. Walk through this investigation with him and bring him under the protection of our holy God in heaven. Deliver him from any deceitful ruling. In the Name of Jesus.
- "The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble; and He knows them that trust in Him." (Nahum 1:7)
2. Senate Plan Would Give Napolitano Final Say on Border Security - The Hill
The idea of letting Napolitano, who plans to stay in the cabinet for President Obama's second term, or a future secretary of Homeland Security make the final call on the border has sparked alarm among other Republicans. The Senate framework would create a commission made up of governors, attorneys general and community leaders from Southwestern border states to recommend when border security goals have been met. They could not render the final judgment, however, because lawmakers fear that would violate the Constitution.
- God, we ask that You remove this power from Napolitano, and any future secretary of Homeland Security, that they never have the final judgment call. Bring a fair and balanced decision regarding tighter border security. Protect the southern border of the United States with the holy angels of God standing guard, and we pray that they will shut down lawlessness. In Jesus' Name.
- "It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man."(Psalm 118:8)
3. Obama Faces Tough Sell With Sheriffs on Gun Control - Washington Examiner
President Obama will travel to Minnesota on Monday with hopes of building support in the law enforcement community for his set of gun control initiatives. However, public safety officials outside urban pockets are increasingly hostile toward a sweeping set of proposals they say would do nothing to curtail violence.
- Lord God, withhold any power of influence from anyone who would take away our legal rights to lawfully have guns as self-defense, and other such uses. Bind the powers of deception and carnal rationality that would attempt to convince otherwise. Put strength in the people to stand their ground and not be caught off-guard. Call forth a mighty army of patriotic citizens who will fight for the right to own guns and not be disarmed by the deceitful lies of the enemy, because we are in a war for the right to defend ourselves. In Jesus' Name.
- "God only is my rock, and my salvation: He is my defense; I shall not be moved."(Psalm 62:6)
4. Obama Goes After Whistleblowers With A Vengeance - Western Journalism
"You should be afraid," says a twenty-four-year veteran officer of the U.S. State Department who is facing job termination for writing a book about what really went on in the Iraq war years. He has been stripped of his security clearance and diplomatic credentials. Blogging on TomDispach.com , Peter Van Buren is warning that President Barack Obama is "declaring himself above the law; he decides himself who lives or dies by death by drones." . . . President does to whistleblowers and truth tellers who rub him the wrong way will give us clues about how he will be treating each American citizen in the months and years to come.
- Mighty God in heaven, install a mighty host of warring angels who will surround and defend anyone who stands up and tells the truth and speaks with boldness through the power of the Lord God. Stretch out Your holy hand and throw the enemy on his back, and take away his power to kill-at-will anyone who is telling the truth and exposing the lies that have been told to hide the truth. In the Name of Jesus we pray.
- "One man of you shall chase a thousand: for the Lord your God, He it is that fights for you, as He has promised you. Take good heed therefore unto yourselves, that you love the Lord your God." (Joshua 23:10-11)
5. US draws up battle plan to stave off digital attack cyberstrikes
- UK Independent
The US could launch pre-emptive cyber strikes against countries it suspects of threatening its interests with a digital attack, under a new set of secret guidelines to safeguard the nation's computer systems.
- Pray for the success of this strategy.
- "No weapon forged against you shall prosper . . ." (Isaiah 54:17)
6. Justice Department memo reveals legal case for drone strikes on Americans - NBC News
A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be "senior operational leaders" of al-Qaida or "an associated force" -- even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.
- Lord God, as we prayed over this critical topic last night, we continue to bring these measures before Your Throne of Grace, that You might move upon the hearts of those in authority to exercise Your wisdom when addressing matters of our freedom. Judge them, Lord, according to Your will, and according to Your ways. In Your name, we pray, amen.
- "And the heavens proclaim His righteousness, for God Himself is judge." (Psalm50:6)
7. Conservatives Take on Obama Over Gay Scouts - ABC News
A conservative group that wants the Boy Scouts to keep their ban on gays today released an ad apparently countering President Obama's remarks this weekend urging the scouts to drop the ban.
- Father God, as the gay agenda continues to be advanced in all realms of our society, we ask You to forgive these lost souls, for they know not what they do. As Stephen the martyr, cried out upon being stoned to death, we ask that You not hold this sin against them, but move instead to woo each one unto You for salvation.
- "He fell to his knees, shouting, 'Lord, don't charge them with this sin!' And with that, he died." (Acts 7:60 NLT)
8. Flash Mob Mayhem: Violent Groups Of Teens Leave NYC Businesses In Ruins - CBS NY
Violent, thieving mobs have been making headlines across the country for the past few years, and now they have hit New York City.
- Pray for the citizens of New York City and the merchants, that they be kept safe from these roving bands of bandits. Lift up the NYPD, that they develop strategies to quickly move in and dispel these groups of thugs from perpetrating any more violence in their city.
- "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)
9. Iran's Ahmadinejad on historic visit to Cairo - AP
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad discussed the crisis in Syria with his Egyptian counterpart Tuesday in the first visit by an Iranian leader to Cairo in more than three decades, marking a historic departure from years of frigid ties between the regional heavyweights.
- As the enemies of Israel begin to "dance with each other," declare and decree that these unholy alliances shall not prosper, outside of the will of our almighty God. Amen!
- "You will also declare a thing, And it will be established for you; So light will shine on your ways." (Job 22:28)
10. BREAKING - Boy Scouts Delay Decision on Repealing Gay Ban Until May - Christian Post
The Boy Scouts of America decided to delay its anticipated vote on allowing openly gay people to serve as team leaders of troops until May. . . The delay will give the organization more time to weigh in the positives and negatives to a major policy change. Read more.
- Even though the Boy Scouts have "bought time" with today's announcement, the situation remains unchanged. Ask the Lord to strengthen the hands of those who are decision-makers, at all levels, in the structure of the BSA -- that they will hold true to their founding principles. Ask our Lord to forgive those in the corporate world who are trying to intimidate the Scouts to violate those principles, for they know not what they do. Pray!
- "But let your statement be, 'Yes, yes ' or 'No, no'; anything beyond these is of evil." (Matthew 5:37)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"For My sake, for My sake I will do it; for why should My name be defiled? I will not give My glory to another." (Isaiah 48:11)
1. Iran reportedly refuses Assad request to hit back at Israel - Times of Israel
Syria's President Bashar Assad asked Iran to hit back at Israel on its behalf for a reported air strike, an Israeli TV report said Monday night, but the Iranians told him, "You need to take care of your business."
2. Obama to visit Israel within weeks - Times of Israel
President Barack Obama is to visit Israel, the Palestinian territories and Jordan in the next few weeks, at the heart of a wider tour of the Middle East.
3. Third Iron Dome stationed in North amid tensions - Jerusalem Post
The IDF stationed a third Iron Dome air defense battery in northern Israel on Tuesday, amid escalated tensions following last week's reported air strikes in Syria.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you." (Psalm 5:11)
1. American Christian pastor imprisoned in Iran fears supporters have abandoned him - Fox News
The American pastor sentenced to eight years in Iran's Evin prison is unaware of the groundswell of international support for him, and instead fears he's been abandoned, according to relatives who met with him this week.
"It is no surprise that the Iranian prison guards are engaging in this kind of psychological abuse. We know that Pastor Saeed is undergoing physical beatings and torture. And we know there is growing concern about his health," Jordan Sekulow, executive director for ACLJ, told FoxNews.com. "Now, a troubling report that the guards are trying to take away his hope -- by feeding him false information about his fate -- trying to convince him that no one cares -- that efforts to secure his freedom have ceased. This tactic is predictable, but also very tragic."
"What the Iranian guards will never tell Pastor Saeed is that there's a growing international network of support. ... We continue to urge President Obama to personally call on Iran to release Pastor Saeed. And now that Secretary of State Kerry is on the job, it is time for him to follow through on earlier statements demanding that Iran release Pastor Saeed," he added. (Read more)
2. Kenya: Uncertain Future for Christians Prompts Call for Prayers Ahead of Election - Christian Post
Political instability in Kenya, triggered by influences from the Muslim minority group al-Shabaab, is causing great concern over the future religious atmosphere in the Eastern Africa country, says Open Doors, a Christian persecution watchdog group. The organization is asking for prayer with less than one month to go before the country's general election. (Read more)
3. Pastor Fined for Reading the Bible "Illegally" in Kazakhstan - Persecution.org
At least eight meetings for worship in Kazakhstan were raided by police and other officials in January, Forum 18 News Service has learned. In some cases meetings for worship were broken up, and in other cases police waited until they were over before questioning meeting participants. Three religious leaders - all Council of Churches Baptist pastors in North Kazakhstan Region - were punished for leading these meetings with the maximum administrative fine of 100 Minimum Financial Indicators (MFIs). This is currently equivalent to nearly two months average wages as measured nationwide by the state. (Read more)
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Madison Report
The Madison Report
Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
In another attempt to "pick a fight" with Republicans, Democrats plans to reintroduce a bill (S. 47) to reauthorize the 1994 Violence Against Women Act. They will vote on cloture to proceed with debate late Monday afternoon. Then the Senate plans to break for two days for the Democrat's annual retreat. They will return on Thursday to continue work on VAWA.
VAWA represents a massive expansion of the federal government by intruding into the affairs of local law enforcement in dealing with domestic violence. It authorized $1.6 billion for programs to train law enforcement and community activists in dealing with such unfortunate problems. Just like almost every other Democrat proposal, this is an insidious attempt to frame Republicans as "anti-women" because they don't support a puerile effort to throw money at a problem that is frankly not within the purview of the federal government. Moreover, there is no data suggesting that these programs are effective, and many of them are used to promote liberal social engineering.
- The last reauthorization expanded the programs and protections to the elderly and children. This one would expand "coverage" to men, homosexuals, transgendered individuals and prisoners.
- It expands the definition of domestic violence to include causing "emotional distress" or using "unpleasant speech."
- It expands the law's reach to give tribal Indian authorities jurisdiction over non-Indians accused of abusing Indian women.
- It would grant more visas to illegal immigrants who are victims of domestic abuse.
Sadly, this travesty is on the cusp of passing the Senate with much help from Republicans. It is co-sponsored by Idaho Senator Mike Crapo. It passed the Senate last year with support of 15 Republicans, but was stalled when the House passed a watered down version.
Call your senators and request that they oppose this massive expansion of government that has shown no positive results in reducing domestic violence, while infringing on people's rights and encouraging fraud and abuse in the judicial system.
Boy Scouts Delay Decision
BOY SCOUTS: Your voice was heard!
Last week, it was a done deal.
Or so thought some of the Boy Scouts of America's national Board of Directors. The board was poised to revoke their longstanding policy against having openly homosexual leaders and Scouts. Only a perfunctory discussion this week stood in the way, and the board would make the decision, appeasing corporate elites and homosexual activists. A done deal.
Then, America stood tall.
Thanks to you and countless other Americans who espouse the Scouts' same timeless values, the board wisely decided that the repercussions of such a move made revoking the policy too hot for them to handle. Your countless phone calls, tens of thousands of emails, support in social media, and the half page ad placed in USA Today helped turn the tide.
While this was encouraging news, the board unfortunately did not reaffirm their current policy. They will now decide on the policy at their National Annual Meeting in May 2013.
This is far from over. FRC will continue in our efforts to help the BSA stand strong against the corporate executives and activists who care more about conformity than character. We will do so by working directly with scouting parents, leaders of the faith-based organizations that charter over two-thirds of the packs, and the troops.
Three public interest law firms (Alliance Defending Freedom, Liberty Counsel, and Liberty Institute) have offered to give counsel to BSA in their efforts to maintain their policy. Those standing with the Scouts are strong in number, but the other side will continue to use bullying tactics to eliminate this common sense policy. This is why we must redouble our efforts.
You can help in urging the Scouts to stand strong. We will keep you up-to-date on any specific actions you can take. In the meantime, please educate and encourage as many friends as possible - have them join our action alert list, like us on Facebook, and contact local Scout Troops.
Thank you for your voice, and let's continue to make a difference in the future.
Family Research Council
Panetta Ignores DOMA
Panetta Gives Troops the Benefits of the Doubt
Before Secretary Leon Panetta officially leaves his job, the Defense Department is expected to announce a few parting gifts for the troops' same-sex partners. Now that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is history, the military is acting as if the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is as well. Since September 2011, when the policy was formally lifted, homosexuals have demanded a laundry list of perks for their significant others--just as we predicted. Although the policy hasn't been formally announced, the new privileges are expected to include access to military bases, commissaries and family services, joint-duty assignments, and military ID cards for gay and lesbian partners--regardless of whether their state recognizes same-sex "marriage."
Of course, this is all in direct defiance of the Pentagon's own assurances that open homosexuality in the military wouldn't affect its benefits policy. In its own report, the DOD makes it clear: "Members of the U.S. military are eligible for and receive a wide array of benefits and support resources, both for themselves and their families. Given current law, particularly the Defense of Marriage Act, there are a number of those benefits that cannot legally be extended to gay and lesbian service members and their same-sex partners, even if they are lawfully married in a state that permits same-sex 'marriage.'" The Pentagon argues it can now extend these privileges without violating DOMA, but the reality is that the law specifically defines "spouse" as "a person of the opposite sex who is a husband or a wife."
These proposed changes are a blatant attempt to force taxpayers to sanction and finance a relationship that 82% of states and 100% of the federal government don't recognize. And while the military is promising more benefits than ever, homosexual activists still aren't satisfied. When the news broke, gay groups were immediately pushing for a more radical agenda--like a military-specific nondiscrimination policy and open transgender service.
Unfortunately for conservatives, the President's pick for Panetta's successor will be no help in beating back this lawlessness. In a written statement to the Senate, Chuck Hagel pledged to recant his former position and "do everything possible... to provide equal benefits to the families of all of our service members."
URGENT! 40 DAYS OF PRAYER!
CRITICAL! 40 DAYS OF PRAYER!
From January 22 - March 4
Is the Fate of the Nation Now Hanging in the Balance?
January 22 marked the 40th anniversary of the passage into law of "Roe v. Wade" -- a finding that mothers in America have the legal right to take the lives of their unborn children.
As a result of this tragic decision by the Supreme Court, the lives of almost 60 million precious babies have never seen the light of day, but were instead murdered in their mothers' wombs.
And now, 40 years later, many in the Body of Christ (prophetic voices and intercessors) are sensing that our God is now saying "Enough is enough!" This holocaust must end.
At Capitol Hill Prayer Partners, we have come across two items that are helping us to frame our intercession, on this 40th year of Roe v. Wade. We provide below two links to those items for your own prayerful consideration, intercession, and action.
The first takes you to a prophetic word, received early in the morning of that shows the cry of Abba's heart over these unborn ones, now with Him, and the verdict He is about to render upon our nation . . . depending on the role of the intercessor!
To read this prophetic word, go here.
The second, a LIFE DECREE, allows us the opportunity to stand in agreement with thousands of others across the land, and with God Himself, to say that abortion is now ANNULLED in the United States of America.
To read the LIFE DECREE, go here.
> > > We ask that you print out each document, pray it through in your own closet of intercession, and then share these statements with others in your own networks.
Together, we can and will stand in REPENTANCE for the passage of this wicked decree, 40 years ago, and ask our Lord to grant us His Mercy in a new day for our nation.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Canada Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Marriage
(Ottawa, Canada)-A Supreme Court of Canada decision that upheld Quebec's laws which provide rights to married couples that do not apply to couples merely living together has been applauded by pro-family organizations as a recognition of the unique and distinctive role that true marriage plays in society.
In what has become known as the Eric and Lola case, pseudonyms designed to protect the couple's three children, the court ruled that the Quebec law that excludes cohabiting couples from receiving spousal support in the event of relationship breakdown is constitutional and does not discriminate against couples who choose to live together without the benefit of marriage.
In a close 5-4 decision, Chief Justice Beverley McLaughlin wrote, "Those who choose to marry choose the protections, but also the responsibilities, associated with that status. Those who choose not to marry avoid these state-imposed responsibilities and protections."
The Institute of Marriage and Family Canada (IMFC) says that the decision accurately reflects the social science research which shows marriage to be substantively different from living common law.
"There is great consensus from social scientists, no matter their political stripe, that marriage is different from living together," said IMFC Manager of Research Andrea Mrozek.
"Unfortunately, the statistical reality is that people living together break up more readily-even if they do eventually wed. They are more likely to have multiple partners. Their children face more problems-higher rates of school dropout, more drug use and an earlier age of sexual initiation. And single parents-mothers-are more likely to be poor. These are some of the harsh statistical realities of living together versus getting married, and it is wise to acknowledge this difference," said Mrozek.
The IMFC points out that providing the same benefits to those living common-law and those who are married contradicts the research, and sends the wrong signal about the importance of marriage for society.
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
ONE THING HAVE I ASKED OF THE LORD
DAVID L. TALAGUIT
performed by Nathan White
One thing have I asked of the Lord
That will I seek after
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life