Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Thursday, February 7, 2013
"The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it." (John 1:5)
Guidelines for today's American Prayer Initiative can be found by going here.
Today's Daily Jot can be found by going to: www.dailyjot.com or by using
The Daily Brief
1. Ex-LAPD officer following through on vow to kill police, shoots 3, killing 1, police say- Fox News
A multi-agency manhunt is under way in California after police say the former Los Angeles police officer suspected in the murders of a college basketball coach and her fiancé last weekend is following through on his vow to kill police officers after he opened fire Wednesday night on three police officers, killing one, KTTV.com reported.
- Father, we pray that You will find this dangerous man quickly and bring him to justice. Protect the people of California, and the police officers in particular. Whatever has prompted this rampage, bring conviction to his heart and salvation to his soul.
- "the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself" [Ezekiel 18:20c]
2. Obama to visit Israel in spring; Mideast peace, Iran on agenda - Reuters
President Barack Obama plans to visit Israel, the West Bank and Jordan this spring, the White House said on Tuesday, raising the prospects of a new U.S. push to restart long-stalled Israel-Palestinian peace efforts.
- Lord, we ask that You cover this planned trip with Your hand. We ask that all hidden agendas be revealed, and we bind any plans of the enemy against Israel.
- "Then God's anger was aroused because he went, and the Angel of the Lord took His stand in the way as an adversary against him." [Numbers 22:22a]
3. Budget Fears Delay US Navy Gulf Deployment - VOA News
The Pentagon is postponing deployment of two warships to the Persian Gulf because of possible budget cuts, leaving just one U.S. aircraft carrier in the Middle East region.
- Lord, we pray that budget difficulties will never bring destruction or danger to US interests around the world. We ask that You stand solidly near the one US aircraft carrier that is deployed in the Gulf, and surround it with Your protection.
-"A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand; but it shall not come near you." [Psalm 91:7]
4. Arkansas House OKs abortion restrictions - AP
The Arkansas House voted Monday to ban abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy with no exceptions for rape or incest, sending the proposal to a state Senate that approved more stringent restrictions last week.
- Father, we thank You for this vote, and pray against any plans of the federal government or the Supreme Court to attempt to disregard or dispel it. We ask that Your Word stand in this matter.
-"Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord." [Psalm 4:5]
5. Postal Service to Cut Saturday Mail -ABC
The financially struggling U.S. Postal Service said Wednesday it will stop delivering mail on Saturdays but continue to disburse packages six days a week, an apparent end-run around an unaccommodating Congress.
- Lord, if this move will help the postal service come out from under the weight of the debt they have faced, then we welcome it. We pray for the USPS to utilize creative solutions to their problems.
- "In the day of my trouble, I will call upon You, for You will answer me." [Psalm 86:7]
6. Federal Reserve hacked - UK Guardian
The US Federal Reserve bank has confirmed one of its internal websites was broken into by hackers after the hacktivist group Anonymous was claimed to have stolen details of more than 4,000 bank executives.
- Lord, we erect a hedge of protection around our American infrastructure and all websites that are critical to the operation of the nation's government and businesses. We pray that the perpetrators of this cyber crime will be found quickly.
- "for the Lord searches all hearts and understands all the intent of the thoughts" [1 Chronicles 28:9c]
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"For My sake, for My sake I will do it; for why should My name be defiled? I will not give My glory to another." (Isaiah 48:11)
1. Netanyahu sending top peace negotiator to US ahead of Obama visit - Times of Israel
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's special envoy to negotiations with the Palestinians, Yitzhak Molcho, is flying to Washington next week to discuss with US officials how to advance the peace process ahead of President Barack Obama's imminent visit.
2. Obama seeks to reset relationship with Netanyahu - US News and World Report
After a long and chilly four years, Barack Obama hopes to reset his relationship with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu when he makes his first trip to Israel as president this spring.
3. Obama won't bring new peace plan with him, sides say - Times of Israel
Weeks before the 2012 election, US President Barack Obama suggested he would wait to visit Israel until there was a good reason to do so.
4. Ahmadinejad: Iran already a nuclear state, but has no intention of launching attack on Israel - Ha'aretz
Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad says that while Iran is already a nuclear state, it has no intention of attacking Israel. Ahmadinejad was interviewed on the eve of his visit to Cairo, where he will attend the 12th Islamic Summit Conference, due to open there on Wednesday.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you." (Psalm 5:11)
1. China's Christians Thrive, Despite Increase in Persecution -China Aid
Throughout 2012, Chinese persecution of Christians intensified, according to a new report from ChinaAid, a Texas-based organization that monitors religious freedom.
The number of persecution cases increased in 2012, the seventh consecutive year where there's been an uptick. But despite that persecution, Christianity is thriving in China, winning more and more converts. (Read more)
2. Christian man mortally wounded in Baluchistan (Pakistan) for refusing to convert to Islam- Asia News
Younas Masih died this afternoon after he was shot five times last Thursday as he made his way home. An unknown gunman fired at the 55-year-old Christian man. From the beginning, his conditions appeared critical. It is believed he was attacked after he resisted pressures from co-workers to convert to Islam. (Read more)
3. Indonesia Still Struggling With Violence, Religious Intolerance - Jakarta Globe
The year 2012 was a turbulent time for minority rights in Indonesia. Incidents of violence, sometimes resulting in death, were frequent and countless communities are still being denied the opportunity to practice their religion, despite laws guaranteeing their inherent rights. (Read more)
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Madison Report
The Madison Report
[Every week, we will try to spotlight some positive legislation that is worthy of conservative support.]
Birthright Citizenship Act
One of the most alluring magnets that attract illegal immigrants to this country is the ability to create an anchor baby that will be conferred with American citizenship. Almost every first world country has terminated the idea of birthright citizenship, yet our legal system continues to erroneously interpret the 14th Amendment as granting citizenship to those born here illegally. Once an illegal immigrant family has an American born child, they are entitled to many welfare programs. If we are serious about preventing future waves of illegal immigration, we must put an end to the cycle of anchor babies.
Rep Steve King (R-IA) has sponsored H.R.140, the Birthright Citizenship Act, which would amend the Immigration and Nationality Act and clarify that children of illegals are not citizens. This bill would not retroactively affect those who are already citizens under current law.
> > > Please pray for passage of this bill. Thank you!
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
NEW PERSONHOOD EFFORT IN COLORADO
Since the Colorado House has refused to recognize that an unborn baby is a human who deserves to be protected, an effort for a constitutional amendment to give the preborn human status is under way.
Early last July, Heather Surovik had just left her last prenatal checkup with the doctor's verdict: her son, Brady, would be born any day. But a vehicle driven by Gary Sheats, a drunk driver, rammed into her car, injuring Surovik, her mother and five-year-old son, and killing her eight-pound, two-ounce son.
Sheats fled the scene. When he was caught, his blood alcohol level was reportedly .292 - almost four times the legal limit. It was his fifth DUI.
Jennifer Mason of Personhood USA tells OneNewsNow Surovik was taken to ICU, still unconscious.
"She woke up to be told not only that her son was dead, but that the drunk driver could be charged with destroying her property, but not with killing her child," Mason explains, "because in Colorado, the unborn child is not considered a person."
An abortion neutral bill was introduced in the House to correct that, but it was voted down along party lines. Abortion advocates testified that Surovik had lost a pregnancy, not a baby.
Now, Surovik has launched the Brady Amendment campaign, "which is a constitutional ballot initiative which we've just introduced," Mason tells OneNewsNow. "She just filed it where we're doing the same thing that we've done as far as the petition drive. This is a bill that's focused on fetal homicide, but it does include personhood rights for the unborn and protects them against violence."
Now the signature gathering begins, and Mason is confident the measure will be on the ballot next year. She hopes the people, not the legislature, will have the last word on Brady. (Contributor: Charlie Butts for One News Now)
- Pray for the movement that is now underway in Colorado to find favor among the populous of Colorado. Pray that those who are building awareness in the state will find multitudes of citizens who will volunteer to spread the word and stand for righteousness.
- "Do not shed innocent blood." (Jeremiah 7:6)
"Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place." (Ephesians 6:14)
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Speak, O Lord
Keith & Kristyn Getty
Speak, O Lord, as we come to You
To receive the food of Your Holy Word.
Take Your truth, plant it deep in us;
Shape and fashion us in Your likeness,
That the light of Christ might be seen today
In our acts of love and our deeds of faith.
Speak, O Lord, and fulfill in us
All Your purposes for Your glory.