Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, February 19, 2013
"And they sang a new song: 'You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.'" (Revelation 5:9)
The Daily Brief
1. IRAN NUCLEAR CHIEF IN NORTH KOREA FOR TESTING - Joel Rosenberg
Author Joel Rosenberg reported yesterday that the head of Iran's nuclear program was in North Korea for last week's successful testing of a nuclear weapon. The atomic bomb tested was 2-3 times more powerful than previously tested weapons, yet small enough to be carried by a ballistic missile.
According to Rosenberg: Now there are new and credible reports that Iran is working closely with North Korea to join develop The Bomb, and that the recent North Korean nuclear weapons test was done in close coordination with Iran, even with Iranian nuclear officials present to observe the test.
"Iran's leading nuclear scientist, Mohsen Fakhrizadeh Mahabadi, is believed to have travelled to North Korea to observe its third nuclear test last week, according to western intelligence sources," reports the Sunday Times of London.
- As it stands, the clear collaboration between Iran and North Korea seems to completely contradict recent statements by both the Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khameni and by Pres. Mahmoud Ahmedinejad that Iran desires nuclear power only for energy, not for atomic bombs. . . The clear collaboration between North Korea and Iran to develop nuclear weaponry, and Iran's clear pursuit of such weapons, mandates an immediate review of policy and strategic planning both for national and international security.
- Pray now for humility and wisdom for President Obama, US and Israeli leaders. Pray for accurate intelligence to both be received and presented to decision-makers. Pray for Throne Room strategies regarding the nuclear threat of North Korea, Iran, and their alliance to be released. The armies of Israel were held at bay by Goliath, but a "special ops" guy named David took down the giant with just a stone. Pray for God to release His Davids, and to release His stones!
- "The Lord of hosts has sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand." (Isaiah 14:24)
> > > Reported by Lamplighter Ministries.
2. No exams on Wiccan, Pagan holidays at University of Missouri? - Fox News
Students at University of Missouri don't need to cram for exams that fall on Wiccan and Pagan holidays, now that the school has put them on par with Christmas, Thanksgiving and Hanukah. The university's latest "Guide to Religions: Major Holidays and Suggested Accommodations" - designed to help faculty know when and when not to schedule exams and other student activities - lists eight Wiccan and Pagan holidays and events right alongside more mainstream occasions. It's all part of the school's effort to include everyone's beliefs, although some critics say listing every holiday associated with fringe belief systems is a bit much.
- Lord, awaken the University of Missouri. Let the church speak forth truth to them that would be received. Forgive, cleanse, and change the Wiccan and pagan teaching. We bless those involved. Enlighten them to the curses they are bringing if they do not change. May they have revelation of the blood of Jesus, which breaks curses. Thanks You Lord for Your mercy, grace, and the shedding of Your blood for our freedom and eternal life with You. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." (Matthew 5:44)
3. Republican U.S. senator decides to retire - Fox News
Sen. Mike Johanns, R-Neb., who grew up on a farm and had been accumulating influence as part of the Senate banking and agriculture committees, has stunned supporters by announcing that he will retire in January 2015.
On his website he explains how he was successful in fighting back against one of the provisions of Obamacare, the president's keynote legislation that essentially sets up a national decision-making process for health care issues. "After hearing from businesses in Nebraska about a provision in President Obama's health law that would have created a paperwork nightmare for job creators, Johanns began an effort that gained bipartisan momentum and the 1099 reporting mandate was repealed."
- Lord, we pray for Senator Johanns. Since he will not be retiring until 2015 we pray that he will have increased voice and favor when he stands for right issues. We pray for Holy Spirit guidance in his continuing work. We thank you for any right stands he has taken. If he retires we pray for a godly replacement who knows You and who will fight for what is right. Let those who know You be salt that does not lose his savour in the Congress. In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
- "You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt has lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men." (Matthew: 5:13)
4. Obama administration winds down plan for 'uninsurables' - AP
Citing financial concerns, the Obama administration has begun quietly winding down one of the earliest programs created by the president's health care overhaul, a plan that helps people with medical problems who can't get private insurance.
- Lord, Obamacare is a mess. We pray for the Holy Spirit to help leaders know what to do in handling the issues. Lord, let people know what is really going on with Obamacare and take action to see correction. Give revelation we pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.
- "Ears that hear and eyes that see--the LORD has made them both." (Proverbs 20:12)
5. Retail Apocalypse: Why Are Major Retail Chains All Over America Collapsing? - The Economic Collapse
If the economy is improving, then why are many of the largest retail chains in America closing hundreds of stores? Even Wal-Mart is running into problems.
- Lift up all who are about to lose their jobs in this current economic downturn. When people's paychecks shrink due to rising taxes, they simply do not have enough cash to spend at the store. There are no easy answers to this complex puzzle, so we look to God, the Author and the Finisher of our faith, to see us through these troubled times.
- "He giveth more grace." (James 4:6)
6. China military unit 'behind prolific hacking' - BBC
A secretive branch of China's military is most likely one of the world's "most prolific cyber espionage groups", a US cyber security firm has said. Mandiant said Unit 61398 was believed to have "systematically stolen hundreds of terabytes of data" from at least 141 organisations around the world.
- Father God, we ask that You strengthen the angelic protection around the United States and our cybersecurity systems. By God's mighty power bring down these hackers, expose their networks, and cause them to implode from within. Let the Word of the Lord speak against all of this that they fall. In the mighty Name of Jesus, amen.
- "His roots shall be dried up beneath and above shall his branch be cut off." (Job 18:16)
7. UN panel says Syria war crimes should go to trial - AP
A United Nations commission on Monday said fighters on both sides in Syria's civil war have committed atrocities and should be brought to justice, while European Foreign Ministers extended an arms embargo on the country in hopes it would limit the ability of both sides to wage war.
- Lord God, we cry out to You for justice to be released for the victims of the civil war in Syria. We thank You that the United Nations will, indeed, examine the record of President Assad, to determine if any war crimes have been committed. We continue to ask for Your hand of divine protection to rest upon our brothers and sisters in that beleaguered nation, and for an end to the violence we see. We ask this in Your Name, amen.
- "Justice, only justice, you must pursue." (Deuteronomy 16:20)
8. Sharon was about to leave two-thirds of the West Bank - Times of Israel
A month before prime minister Sharon suffered a stroke, in January 2006, he was on the phone with Eitan. Four months after Israel's unilateral disengagement from the Gaza Strip, the two discussed a preliminary plan to leave the West Bank as well, while maintaining the maximum number of Israeli settlements under Israeli control.
- Pray that the current U.S. adminstration, as well as all authorities in Israel, take heed. The land was given to them by God and is not theirs to take away. Pray!
- "Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling. Kiss his son, or he will be angry and your way will lead to your destruction, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in him." (Psalm 2: 10-12)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Ah Lord YHWH! Behold, You have made the heaven and the earth by Your great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for You." (Jeremiah 32:17)
1. Credible Military Threat Needed Against Iran: Netanyahu - Bloomberg
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said a "credible military threat" is needed to stop Iran's atomic program, the risk it poses to the flow of Middle East oil and what he called a global wave of Iran-led terrorism.
2. 'Israeli security forces blindly cooperate with PA' - Ynet News
Yossi Kuperwasser, who serves as director general at the Ministry of Strategic Affairs, leveled harsh criticism at the Shin Bet, and particularly at the National Security Agency's actions under former chief Ami Ayalon.
3. Israel to Award Obama Prestigious Medal During Visit - NewsMax
Israel will award President Barack Obama the country's Presidential Medal of Distinction during his upcoming visit.
4. Netanyahu lays out security issues he'll discuss with Obama - Israel Hayom
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday said three security issues will take top priority during his meetings with President Barack Obama on his visit, expected to begin on March 20.
5. Israel supplying advanced weaponry to Turkey - Times of Israel
Israel is providing advanced electronic warfare systems for aircraft to Turkey, a fulfillment of an earlier order that was put on hold in the wake of the infamous Mavi Marmara incident in 2010. It is the first instance of a military equipment exchange between Jerusalem and Ankara since then.
6. Egyptian flooding washes away Gaza tunnel business - Ha'aretz
Egypt's campaign to shut down smuggling tunnels running under its border into the Gaza Strip threatens to throw thousands of Palestinians out of work in the Hamas-run enclave.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, For theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:10)
1. Turkey--Fourteen Arrested in Plot to Kill Pastor - VOM
Turkish police recently arrested 14 suspects in connection with a plot to assassinate Pastor Emre Karaali of the Izmit Protestant Church. The suspects, two of whom were members of the church, intended to murder the pastor during a series of evangelistic outreach meetings. Police discovered that the suspects had collected personal information about the pastor as well as photos of other preachers who visited the church. Police responded quickly when they learned that the suspects had brought in someone from Diyarbakir, in eastern Turkey, to carry out the murder.
2. Kenya--VOM Ministry Partner Killed by Gunmen - VOM
Gunmen attacked two Somali pastors on Thursday, Feb. 7, in Garissa, Kenya, wounding one and killing Pastor Abdi Welli. The pastors were leaving a bank when they were shot. Pastor Abdi leaves behind his wife, Helen, and three young sons. "He was a great, faithful believer who continued onward for the sake of the gospel in a very dangerous place," said a VOM field worker. "Today, he gave his highest act of devotion to his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."
3. India--Hindu Villagers Attack Christian Women - VOM
On Jan. 14, three Christian women were attacked by a mob in Tamsai village, near Mumbai, while they were washing clothes at a public well. The Hindu villagers apparently were irritated by Christian music that a woman's 12-year-old daughter was listening to on a mobile phone. The villagers protested that Christian music should not be played within their hearing, and eventually a mob of 50 gathered near the homes of the Christian women and physically assaulted them.
The Madison Report
The Madison Report
As part of the Budget Control Act of 2011, the 10-year sequestration, which would cut all discretionary accounts across-the board, is slated to take effect on March 1. The sequester will cut roughly $1 trillion in mainly discretionary spending, with 50% of the cuts coming from Defense, even though it only comprises 20% of the federal budget. It is important to remember that a good amount of these cuts are only baseline cuts, especially on the non-defense side. For 2013, the sequester was originally going to be $109 billion, but due to the cancellation for two months, the cuts will total $85 billion.
While all conservatives agree that there is clearly some waste in defense, random across-the-board cuts are unwise. On the other hand, these are the only cuts we will ever make permanent. Conservatives did not support this plan, but we will not allow Obama and the Democrats to use it as a leverage point to force through more tax hikes or eliminate the non-defense part of the sequester. Republicans need to stick together and let the sequester go into effect. Obama is already feeling the pressure from the united Republican stance.
Republicans must reject plans by John McCain and Lindsey Graham to offer any replacements of the sequester. That will only play into Obama's hands and obviate any leverage we might gain from standing firm.
Note of caution: While Republicans appear to be holding the line on the sequester, conservatives must remind GOP leaders that this only deals with discretionary spending. If we ever have any hope of reforming entitlements and balancing the budget, we must defund Obamacare. Republicans must prepare for an Obamacare funding fight when the current CR, which funds the government, expires on March 28.
EPA Home Invasion
Homeowners vs. EPA Home Invasion
By Trevor Loudoun
The Obama Administration bullied its way into your doctor's office, now it is bullying its way inside your home. Claiming a need for "healthy housing," new 2013 policies enacted by the Obama administration give the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Housing and Urban Development Agency (HUD) the right to decide the condition of your home. While Obamacare is not about quality health care, the government's new housing strategy appears to be more about home invasion than home health.
On February 4, 2013, the Obama government issued a press release on how it plans to gain access into your home. What follows is an edited snapshot of the government's planned intrusions onto and into your private property:
FEDERAL AGENCIES WORKING TO MAKE HOMES HEALTHIER
Improving housing quality can dramatically affect the health of residents
WASHINGTON-Several federal agencies today unveiled Advancing Healthy Housing - A Strategy for Action. White House Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) Chair Nancy Sutley, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator Lisa P. Jackson, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Shaun Donovan, Surgeon General Regina Benjamin, M.D., and Deputy Secretary of Energy Daniel Poneman discussed the new plan during an event at the National Building Museum this morning . . . The Strategy for Action encourages federal agencies to take preemptive actions that will help reduce the number of American homes with health and safety hazards . . . currently, millions of U.S. homes have moderate to severe physical housing problems, including dilapidated structure; roofing problems; heating, plumbing, and electrical deficiencies; water leaks and intrusion; pests; damaged paint; and high radon gas levels . . . The Strategy for Action unifies, for the first time, federal action to advance healthy housing, demonstrating the connection between housing conditions and residents' health . . . It is clear that unhealthy and unsafe housing has an impact on the health of millions of people in the United States," said HUD Secretary Shaun Donovan . . . "Today's announcement will help the federal government unify action to controlling and preventing major housing-related exposures and hazards."
The Obama administration through the EPA, HUD and DOE (Department of Energy) wants unprecedented control over your home. In addition to privacy issues, homeowners can expect to fork over hundreds, if not thousands of dollars to be in compliance or face stiff fines. Additional costs will be added to how new homes are built, whereas the sales of older homes can be stopped in their tracks until they meet stringent government codes. The government portends to act in your best interest. Note words, such as controlling, in the press release that reveal real intent . . .
Like Obamacare, this "action" being imposed by the government is touted as being "for your own good," whether you like it or not. The following statement by U.S. Deputy Secretary of Energy Daniel Poneman obtusely explains the push for so-called smart meters; meters that are reportedly designed to enable external control of home thermostats by government authorities: "Energy efficiency and healthy homes are inextricably linked. We cannot, in good conscience, pursue one in the absence of the other."
Selling, renovating or simply upgrading items such as air conditioning, electrical or water heaters can cost additional thousands. Inspectors will have greater access into your home through new and unwieldy code requirements. Contractors' open work permits flag your home as a target. The new federal EPA, HUD and DOE home regulations filter down to local inspectors who are required by law to impose them or fail the home inspection. Unnecessary and unreasonable code can be imposed on homeowners who find they "can't fight code." There is virtually no appeal.
- Forgive us, Father God for rejecting You as Lord of our nation in so many ways. We look to You to raise up a standard against this tyranny at the highest level, which is an invasion of our Constitutional rights granted us by our Founding Fathers who had to deal with the quartering of troops in private homes and other invasions of privacy. Help us, Father, to return to You as a nation and be able to regain our freedoms.
- "And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the Lord: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart." (Jeremiah 24:7)
Obamacare, The Econony And You
Obamacare, The Econony And You
If you need another reminder about the serious adverse effects of Obamacare, consider this column in yesterday's Financial Times. It's not new information, but it once again confirms that Obamacare is holding back job creation and may threaten your ability to keep your current health insurance.
According to the report, more companies are considering cancelling their employer-provided health insurance and simply paying the fines. David Dillon, CEO of Krogers grocery stores, said:
"If you look through the economics of the penalty the companies pay versus the cost to provide coverage, the penalty's too low, or the cost of coverage is too high, or the combination is wrong. If [policy makers] get those things too far out of balance, everybody will have to reconsider their position on that point, including us."
As we have reported, Obamacare created perverse incentives for companies to drop their health insurance policies and dump people into the government-run "exchanges." Dillon is one more CEO confirming that is exactly what is likely to happen, meaning that if you like your current employer-provided health plan, you may not be able to keep it.
The article notes that the head of Dunkin' Donuts is "lobbying to change the definition of 'full-time employees' eligible for coverage. The reason being that Obamacare defines full-time employees as those working 30 hours a week or more. As a result, many businesses that cannot afford to provide health insurance to part-time employees are cutting back hours, making sure that no one works more than 29 hours a week. That means less take home pay for many hourly workers.
In addition, Obamacare also includes insurance mandates on companies that have 50 employees or more. As a result, many businesses close to that threshold are simply not hiring additional employees in order to avoid Obamacare's costs. That means Obamacare is stunting job creation. (Gary Bauer)
Obama to Receive Award in Israel
ISRAEL TO AWARD OBAMA PRESTIGIOUS MEDAL DURING VISIT
Israel will award President Barack Obama the country's Presidential Medal of Distinction during his upcoming visit. Israeli President Shimon Peres' office said Monday that Obama will be recognized for his "unique and significant contribution to strengthening the State of Israel and the security of its citizens."
Obama is scheduled to visit Israel in March - his first as president. Obama has often had a tense relationship with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over the Jewish state's West Bank settlement policies and the lack of peace process with the Palestinians.
But Peres and the committee behind the award noted Obama's overall friendship and backing of the Iron Dome missile defense system. Israel's Presidential Medal of Distinction is comparable to the France's "Legion of Honor" or the "Order of Canada."
- O Heavenly Father, we lift up praises to You Lord, that the US as a nation has helped with the iron dome which has saved so many lives in Israel. May the leaders in the US understand this honor and may they strive to be the friend they are being honored for being. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Do not keep silent O God! Do not hold Your peace, and do not be still, O God!" (Psalm83:1)
Terror Threat Surrounds Obama's Trip to Israel
IRAN TERROR THREAT TO OBAMA'S ISRAEL TRIP
Tehran looking to disrupt 'land-for-peace' talks
TEL AVIV - There is immediate information that the Iranian-backed Islamic Jihad terrorist organization may attempt to disrupt President Obama's visit here next month with attacks aimed at derailing Israeli-Palestinian talks, according to informed Middle Eastern security officials.
The officials stressed there is no known threat against Obama himself or any U.S. targets.
Rather, Islamic Jihad is planning for possible attacks within the West Bank as well as inside major Israeli cities before and after Obama's trip, said the officials. (WND)
- In light of the very real danger reported here, lift up the Secret Service and all who are charged with keeping the president safe on this journey. May they exercise great skill and wisdom in deciding whether to allow Mr. Obama to make this trip, as planned. Pray for wisdom. Pray!
- "For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict." (Luke 21:15)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
Good News from Vermont!
Note: Last week, we asked you to join us in prayer with the USRPN network regarding an urgent need in the State of Vermont. Without quick intervention that next day, a bill that would have legislated physician-assisted suicide was about to become law.
We thank you all for hearing this cry out of Vermont, and we happily share today's news with you now.
Last Wednesday, prayer alerts went out to the USRPN regarding a physician-assisted suicide bill that was on the legislative table. That day a second vote eliminated state sanctioned Physician Assisted Suicide and substituted limited immunity for physicians and family members in some instances of patient suicide. This substitute bill passed on 15-15 ties with our Lt. Gov. casting the deciding vote. Last Thursday (Valentine's Day), the newly limited version of S.77 survived attempts to resurrect Physician Assisted Suicide and passed with a final vote of a 15-15 tie with our Lt. Gov. casting the deciding vote.
This bill originated in the Senate so it now goes to the House for action. Legislative rules dictate that if the House changes the bill in any substantive way -- like making it about Physician Assisted Suicide again -- the altered bill must be returned to the Senate via a Committee of Conference. This creates a firewall against Physician Assisted Suicide because this committee is appointed by three key senators -- all of whom are strong opponents of Physician Assisted Suicide.
At this point Vermont's pro-life community is celebrating a significant victory against the imposition of a culture of death on our state!
Prayer was key to our success. We had people in the Senate Chamber praying and in the State House praying. And the prayer networks in Vermont and around the country were on prayer alert for this past week concerning this issue.
Five other states (Connecticut, New Jersey, Kansas, Hawaii and Massachusetts ) have similar bills currently in their legislatures. Let's continue to keep this in prayer as we declare a culture of Life for these states and forbid the culture of death from advancing any further in our nation!
USRPN Vermont State Coordinator
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Music and lead vocals Ronna Cohen;
You who live in the shelter of 'Elyon,
who spend your nights in the shadow of Shaddai,
2 who say to Adonai, "My refuge! My fortress!
My God, in whom I trust!" -
3 he will rescue you from the trap of the hunter
and from the plague of calamities;
4 he will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his truth is a shield and protection.
ABOUT CAPITOL HILL PRAYER PARTNERS
Our Mission Statement
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners (CHPP) is a ministry which is positioned on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., helping members of the Body of Christ to "pray for those in authority over us" in our federal government. Our primary purpose is to offer intercession on site for the members of Congress and their staffs each day that the Senate and the House of Representatives are in session; and our chief prayer focus is that "God's will be done in earth, as it is in heaven" [Matthew 6:10].
Because Jesus Christ has shed His blood for all, we, too, pray for ALL, in a nonpartisan manner. Also, because the scriptures indicate that "the effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much" (James 4:17), we are confident that fervent prayer, offered in the halls of the highest chambers of government in our land, can avail much for America. Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes those who feel called to join us, engaging in this strategic work of intercession for our nation: "For there is no power but of God; the powers that be are ordained of God." [Romans 13:1]
Friends may participate by receiving our daily prayer alerts. You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. CHPP is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt ministry. Thank you and God bless you!
CHPP, Facebook, and You!
CHPP, Facebook, and You!
Due to issues of security, Capitol Hill Prayer Partners has a standing policy of not pursuing the various social networking opportunities to broadcast our message. Those networks may include Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and others . . .
However, we continue to encourage you to share our alerts with your own networks of prayer partners, as you are able to do so.
If you are on Facebook (for example), may we suggest the following strategy??
Simply refer your friends to our website on your own Facebook page, where they can read our alerts - and subscribe - for themselves.
Our website is located here: