Iraqi TV Host Weeps Over Plight of Christians (Read more)
Michael Brown Funeral Today
NDP: A Call to Prayer - Across America
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Monday, August 25, 2014
"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." (2 Timothy 1:7)
"And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse . . ." (Rev. 19:1)
The Daily Brief
1. ISRAEL: Funeral Set for Four-Year-Old Boy Killed by Mortar Shell - Jerusalem News Network
Funeral arrangements have been set for four-year-old Daniel Tragerman, who was killed by Hamas rocket fire Friday afternoon after a rocket struck near his home in Kibbutz Nahal Oz. Daniel will be laid to rest on Sunday at 9:00 am at the Hevel Shalom cemetery in the Eshkol Region. Daniel was at home when the shell was fired, directly hitting a car that was parked near the home. Unfortunately, Daniel did not have enough time to reach a secure area and was hit by shrapnel. Magen David Adom crews who were called to the scene tried to resuscitate Daniel but were unsuccessful and pronounced him dead.
Meanwhile, Daniel's family and community have begun to express their shock and sadness to the press. "Daniel was a smart, kind, sensitive child," Daniel's mother Gila stated Friday. "We wanted to see him growing up with his brothers and fulfilling his potential." The community is in shock. "This is a sad day, the saddest one in the area in 14 years," Haim Yalin, head of the Eshkol Regional Council, stated Saturday. "This is the nightmare of every resident and every family. A 4-year-old boy was killed, what else can you say?" he added. "You have to embrace your family and be united on such a sad and difficult day." (Arutz-7)
- Please pray for Daniel's family and for all the members of their community who are grieving and in shock.
- "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." (Ps. 34:18)
[Submitted by: Jerusalem News Network]
2. Netanyahu warns Hamas of 'heavy price' after child killed - AFP
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Friday vowed harsh retribution against Hamas, the Islamist rulers of Gaza, after a mortar round fired from the Palestinian territory killed an Israeli child.
"Hamas will pay a heavy price for this attack," Netanyahu's spokesman Ofir Gendelman cited the premier as saying on his Twitter account, adding that the Israeli army and Shin Bet internal security service would "intensify ops against Hamas until the goal of #ProtectiveEdge is achieved".
The boy was the first child to be killed on the Israeli side since the July 8 start of the war with Hamas, which Netanyahu has said was aimed at ending rocket fire at Israel and delivering a significant blow to Hamas. (Read more)
- Father God, today we lift up all who mourn in Zion. We ask that You grant Your wisdom to Prime Minister Netanyahu and all who are working with him to wage war against this enemy, Hamas. Thank You, Father God. In the name of Yeshua we offer this prayer, amen.
- "Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle." (Psalm 144:1)
3. Israeli soldier testifies to miracle in Gaza - WND
One of the many Israeli soldiers who have been dispatched to Gaza over the years to eliminate rocket-launching equipment and lower the threat of destruction to Israeli citizens has testified to the miracles he witnessed.
Such as a day of firefights, explosions and terror, with the only resulting injury a scratch that was handled with a baby wipe.
The testimony comes from Ariel Siegelman, who was with an Israel campaign a few years ago. The same issue, arose, however, in recent weeks in a conflict between Israel and Gaza that erupted when Hamas fighters in Gaza began a rocket attack on next-door Israel. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we give all the praise and glory to You alone for this reported series of miracles. We thank You for all that is happening and how these experiences are lifting up and increasing the faith of Your special people who live in Your land. Use it, Father, to strip the veil from their eyes and have them fully understand that You, Abba, are indeed their Messiah. We pray this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "Blessed be the Lord God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting! Amen and Amen." (Psalm 41:13 NKJV)
4. Shias in Iraq town under ISIS siege face risk of 'massacre,' UN says - Fox News
The United Nations warned Saturday that a northeast Iraq town under siege by Islamic State militants since June faces risk of a "massacre," if urgent action is not taken to rescue residents.
Militants have surrounded the small Shia Turkmen community of Amerli, roughly 110 miles north of Baghdad, drawing comparisons to Islamic State's siege of Mount Sinjar, where thousands of Yazidi were trapped for weeks before U.S. air strikes drove the militants away and allowed the innocent civilians to escape the bloodthirsty jihadists. But this time, those trapped are Shia Muslims, who are reviled by the mostly Sunni Islamic State fighters.
The U.N. urged Iraq's allies and the international community to "work with the authorities to prevent a human rights tragedy." (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, the barbaric assaults of ISIS continues. We ask that this violent, lawless group be stopped in its ever-increasing onslaught against all other people groups. Have mercy, Father! We need Your guidance to know how to deal with these savages, for without You, we are helpless before them. Thank You, God, for hearing our prayer, in Jesus' name, amen and amen.
- "Why do the nations rage, and the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying, 'Let us break Their bonds in pieces and cast away Their cords from us.' He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; the Lord shall hold them in derision." (Psalm 2:1-4 NKJV)
5. Reports: British Ex-Rapper ID'd as Jihadist Who Beheaded Foley - Newsmax
A 23-year-old British former rapper was identified on Saturday by British security officials as the man suspected of beheading American journalist James Foley, according to news reports. Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, who is said to be known by Islamic State members as "Jihadi John" because of his British accent, was identified by unnamed British intelligence sources as the masked terrorist standing by Foley in a video ISIS posted on the Internet of the execution, The Sunday Times of London reports. (Read more)
- Thank You, God, for the British! We marvel at the speed with which they have now identified this barbarian. We ask for divine retribution to meted out to Mr. Bray, should he refuse to repent and see the Light of Christ. We ask, too, that any and all information he has, when he is captured, be made known to the authorities. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their cry; but the face of the LORD is against those who do evil, to blot out their name from the earth." (Psalm 34:15,16)
6. Ukraine marks defiant national day, rebels parade captives - Reuters
Ukraine marked its independence day on Sunday with a military march past in Kiev intended to send a message of defiance to Russia, but pro-Moscow rebels countered by parading captured Ukrainian troops through the streets in their stronghold.
The rival events showed the divide that will need to be bridged if a compromise on Ukraine is to be reached on Tuesday when Russian President Vladimir Putin meets his Ukrainian counterpart for the first time in months.
Ukrainian forces are trying to snuff out a pro-Moscow separatist rebellion in the east of the country, and on Sunday intense artillery fire could be heard around the rebel stronghold of Donetsk. (ReadÂ more)
- Heavenly Father, we pray that there be sufficient calm on both sides of this conflict so that when Russian President Vladimir Putin meets his Ukrainian counterpart for the first time in months to try to mediate a solution agreeable to both sides, that some agreements may be reached. We ask this in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "Let not a slanderer be established in the earth; let evil hunt the violent man to overthrow him. I know that the Lord will maintain the cause of the afflicted, and justice for the poor. Surely the righteous shall give thanks to Your name; the upright shall dwell in Your presence." (Psalm 140:11-13 NKJV)
7. China calls US accusations over flight intercept 'groundless' - Fox News
China's Defense Ministry has denied U.S. accusations that a Chinese fighter jet conducted a "dangerous intercept" of a U.S. Navy surveillance aircraft. Defense Ministry spokesman Yang Yujun called the U.S. accusations "groundless" in a statement issued Saturday night. Yang said the Chinese pilot conducted operations that were "professional and the Chinese jet kept a safe distance from the U.S. planes." Yang described the Chinese flights as "routine identification and verification."
Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby gave a different account Friday of the Aug. 19 encounter about 135 miles east of China's Hainan Island. He said the Chinese jet made several close passes by the Navy P-8 Poseidon plane, coming within 30 feet of it. He said the Chinese jet did a "barrel roll" maneuver over the top of the Poseidon and also passed across the nose of the Navy plane, exposing the belly of the fighter in a way apparently designed to show that it was armed.
Kirby said the Chinese jet's maneuvering posed a risk to the safety of the U.S. air crew and was "inconsistent with customary international law. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, based on the actual reported experiences by the US military it is evident that China was sending a message of confrontation. Increasingly we see reported the rising level of 'military challenges' being presented to the US by China. Father, we ask You to confront and direct leaders in the US to know how to respond to these challenges. We pray in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "A fool has no delight in understanding, but in expressing his own heart." (Proverbs 18:2 NKJV)
8. Tensions easing in Ferguson after night of largely peaceful protests - Fox News A small number of arrests were reported in the St. Louis suburb of Ferguson, Mo. Saturday, though there were fewer confrontations between police and protesters as the community marked two weeks since an unarmed black 18-year-old was fatally shot by a white officer. Early Sunday, Missouri Highway Patrol Cpt. Ron Johnson reported that only six arrests had been made after a group of around 100 people had gathered at a McDonald's restaurant and refused to leave. Even so, the number was a far cry from the dozens arrested earlier in the week. Traffic flowed freely along the West Florissant Avenue commercial corridor near the apartment complex where Ferguson officer Darren Wilson shot Michael Brown six times in the middle of the street on Aug. 9. But once again, peaceful daytime protests gave way to angrier shouts and more defiant marchers as night fell -- including some who argued angrily with one another. But well past midnight, there were no sign of the police riot gear, tear gas or armored vehicles that marked earlier street skirmishes in the first week after Brown's death. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we lift up praise that the violence and looting appears to be abating and that order is returning to Ferguson, Missouri. We pray that the truth of what occurred continues to be brought forth and that Your Justice be served in this community. May Your special healing balm be felt throughout this community, comforting and strengthening all involved in this crisis. We pray this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "And to the man He said, 'Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to depart from evil is understanding.'" (Job 28:28 NKJV)
9. Obama orders review of federal role in arming state and local police - Fox News
President Obama has directed a review of federal programs and funding that allow state and local law-enforcement agencies to acquire surplus military equipment, a senior administration official said Saturday.
The review will include whether the programs are appropriate, if the agencies are getting enough training and guidance to use the equipment and whether the federal government is sufficiently auditing the use of the equipment.
The president hinted Monday that a review was likely in the aftermath of an unarmed Ferguson, Mo., teen being fatally shot by a police officer, which was followed by local law enforcement using military equipment to try to control the ensuing protests and riots.
"I think it's probably useful for us to review how the funding has gone, how local law enforcement has used grant dollars, to make sure that what they're purchasing is stuff that they actually need, because there is a big difference between our military and our local law enforcement and we don't want those lines blurred," Obama said. "And I think that there will be some bipartisan interest in reexamining some of those programs." (Read more)
- We invite our prayer partners to pray in the Spirit over this report. May any such investigation be undertaken with great wisdom and humility. In Jesus' name, amen.
- "Pray without ceasing . . ." (I Thessalonians 5:16)
10. Quake rocks California wine country, 120 injured - Reuters
A 6.0 magnitude earthquake rocked wine country north of San Francisco early on Sunday, injuring dozens of people, two of them seriously, damaging historic buildings, setting some homes on fire and causing power outages around the picturesque town of Napa. The biggest quake in the region in 25 years jolted many residents out of bed when it hit at 3:20 a.m. local time (1020 GMT), centered 6 miles (10 km) south of the City of Napa, population 77,000. (Read more)
- Lord God, we take note that the epicenter of this quake hit at the base of American Canyon near Napa. Lord, You are speaking to Your people! We pray that this may now amount to a spiritual earthquake to awaken the body of Christ in our nation!
Heavenly Father, we lift up praise that this earthquake was not as deadly and destructive as it could have been. We pray comfort and strength over all who have been injured, and who seen damaged homes and property damaged. May those who do not know You be encouraged to turn to You and be redeemed. We pray this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "The Lord upholds all who fall, and raises up all who are bowed down." (Psalm 145:14 NKJV)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
"Don't be afraid! Those who are with us are more than those who are with them. O LORD, open his eyes so he may SEE!" (II Kings 6:16-17a.)
1. Hebrew Nation News, August 21, 2014 - HNN
To read the most recent edition of this newsletter, go here.
2. Intercessors for Israel: Weekly Newsletter - IFI
To read the most recent edition of IFI's prayer bulletin, go here.
3. Bridges for Peace: Weekly Newsletter - Bridges for Peace
To read BFP's weekly prayer bulletin, please go here.
4. JERUSALEM NEWS NETWORK - Barry and Batya Segal
To read today's edition of JNN news, please go here. (Includes prayers and verses.)
5. US Pressures Israel to Give up Demand to Demilitarize Gaza - Hebrew Nation News
Israel and the United States secretly coordinated on outlining the details of a future long-term peace agreement with Hamas reported by local media. According to diplomatic sources, US Secretary of State John Kerry is supposedly expected to travel to Israel in the next week as a sign of support for Israel and the efforts of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
The main purpose of the secretary's trip is to show that the relationship between Jerusalem and Washington is not in crisis.
6. Hamas kills 18 suspected Israel informants - Fox News
Hamas carried out a deadly purge of suspected informants in Gaza, killing as many as 18 people suspected of providing information to the Israel Defense Forces as fighting flared anew following the collapse of Egyptian-brokered cease-fire talks.
Masked gunmen killed seven suspected informants for Israel near a Gaza City mosque as worshippers were ending midday prayers on Friday, according to a witness and Hamas media. Earlier in the day, Hamas killed 11 men by firing squad in Gaza City's police headquarters, according to the Hamas-run Al Rai website.
Two of those killed were women, according to the Palestinian Center for Human Rights, which called for an immediate halt to what it said were "extra-judicial executions." (Read more)
7. PA Blasts Hamas for Executing 'Collaborators with Israel' - Israel National News
The Palestinian Authority blasts Hamas officials for executing more than 20 alleged collaborators with Israel, saying this is illegal. (Read more)
8. USRPN: Let's Keep Praying for Israel - Cindy Jacobs
In the midst of the domestic crisis in Missouri, let us not forget to stand in the gap for the one in Israel! Please read the update below from Barry Segal with the Jerusalem News Network.
It is also critical to keep "shields up" to pray against radical extremists from causing devastation in our own land. Many times they will use crisis situations to divert attention from themselves so they can position an attack.
I am still very concerned about an attack similar to that of Mumbai in 2008 that may take place in several places simultaneously to cause, not only physical harm, but psychological damage to the nation.
Thank you for praying!
For the nation,
9. IDF Eliminates Hamas Finance and 'Justice' Head - Israel National News
Another senior Hamas leader assassinated in airstrike, after three or four others taken out last week. The IDF on Sunday assassinated another Hamas leader, Mohammed al-Ghoul, who was responsible for transferring funds to the terrorist organization and was the "Justice Minister" in the Hamas government. The pinpoint airstrike in northern Gaza took out al-Ghoul, confirmed the IDF. Palestinian Arab reports have confirmed the appraisal, saying al-Ghoul was killed in an airstrike on his car. In pictures circulating in the Arab reports of al-Ghoul's ruined car the Hamas leader's body can clearly be seen. Likewise, numerous wads of US dollars can be seen inside the burning car, money that presumably was on its way to fund terror attacks.
IDF spokesperson Major Arye Shalicar told AFP that al-Ghoul "was an important Hamas actor who dealt with transferring funds to build terror infrastructure in Gaza, such as tunnels, and was a key target." (Read more)
10. Netanyahu warns Gaza residents away from Hamas posts - The Times of Israel
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed Sunday that Israel would not halt Operation Protective Edge until calm has been restored, warned Gaza Strip civilians to evacuate any buildings used by Hamas for terror activities.
"Israel needs to show its resilience so that its enemies know it will not be worn down," Netanyahu said before the weekly cabinet meeting, adding that "Hamas attempts at attrition" were being met with relentless IDF attack on Gaza targets.
"I call on Gaza residents to leave any location from which Hamas is conducting terror activities," the prime minister said. "Every such place is a target for us. We have seen in recent days that there is not, and won't be, any immunity for someone who fires on the citizens of Israel." (Read more)
He jammed the wheels of their chariots so that they had difficulty driving. And the Egyptians said, "Let's get away from the Israelites! The LORD is fighting for them against Egypt." (Exodus 14:25)
[NOTE: Items marked with *** refer to action taken on the ISIS crisis on Capitol Hill.]
1. Pentagon: Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen' - Reuters
The sophistication, wealth and military might of Islamic State militants represent a major threat to the United States that may surpass that once posed by al Qaeda, U.S. military leaders said on Thursday.
"They are an imminent threat to every interest we have, whether it's in Iraq or anywhere else," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel told reporters at the Pentagon. Asked if the hardline Sunni Muslim organization posed a threat to the United States comparable to that of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, Hagel said it was "as sophisticated and well-funded as any group we have seen."
Hagel's assessment of Islamic State, which gained strength during Syria's civil war and swept into northern Iraq earlier this summer, sounded a note of alarm several days after the group posted a video on social media showing one of its fighters beheading an American hostage kidnapped in Syria. (Read more)
2. US considering taking fight against Islamic State into Syria - Jerusalem Post
The United States is considering taking the fight against Islamic State militants into Syria after days of airstrikes against the group in Iraq and the beheading of an American journalist, the White House signaled on Friday.
President Barack Obama, soon to end a two-week working vacation on the Massachusetts island of Martha's Vineyard, has not yet been presented with military options for attacking Islamic State targets beyond two important areas in Iraq, said White House deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes.
But Rhodes made clear that going after Islamic State forces based in Syria is an option after the release of a video this week showing one of the group's fighters beheading American journalist James Foley and threatening to kill a second American, Steve Sotloff. (Read more)
3. Ex-CIA Officer: 'There Are ISIS Sleeper Cells In This Country' - Newsmax
A former CIA officer said Thursday he has no doubt Islamic State (ISIS) sleeper cells are already planted on U.S. soil.
An unnamed U.S. intelligence official told CNN there's already an indication of ISIS sleeper cells in Europe that could target U.S. embassies and other American interests. (Read more)
***4. Senator Inhofe warns of potential terrorist attacks on U.S. soil - OKCFox.com
It is a serious warning coming from Oklahoma Senator Jim Inhofe as he warns of the potential of another attack on American soil. The senator sat down with Fox 25 to talk about a variety of topics, but as ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, the top issue was national security.
"We're in the most dangerous position we've ever been in as a nation," Senator Inhofe told Fox 25's Phil Cross.
"ISIS, they are really bad terrorists, they're so bad even Al Qaida is afraid of them," Inhofe said reflecting on the recent beheading of American journalist James Foley. Beyond the beheading, Inhofe said the current terror organizations are not going to stay contained to the Middle East. "They're crazy out there and they're rapidly developing a method of blowing up a major U.S. city and people just can't believe that's happening." (Read more)
5. Voice, words may provide key clues about James Foley's killer - CNN
As UK investigators work to identify the Islamist militant who beheaded American journalist James Foley, the tiniest details in the videotape of the killing could provide the key clue.
British police and intelligence services have been tight-lipped about any progress in identifying the man. As they seek to trace him, they will doubtless be looking at those with known connections to jihadist movements or who have been to Syria to fight. . . (Read more)
> > > "For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open." (Mark 4:22 NIV)
***6. Ominous signs point to ISIS connection at US southern border - The Examiner
A news story surfaced today indicating that there are signs pointing to a direct ISIS terror connection at the U.S. border with Mexico. Citizens who have constantly warned that the lack of attention to the illegal alien crisis would lead to Islamic terrorists crossing the border into the United States from Mexico are expressing alarm at the latest developments. Breitbart is reporting that U.S. Rep. Ted Poe, R-Texas, stated during a news forum that Mexican drug cartels are in regular talks with the dangerous Islamist terrorist organization ISIS. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we ask that many American citizens will awaken to this threat. ISIS may already be negotiating with Mexican drug cartels, leading to acts of terror within the U.S. Have mercy, Father, and show our leaders how to respond to the danger emanating from ISIS in our nation. We pray this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God.' They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniquity; there is none who does good." (Psalm 53:1 NKJV)
7. David Cameron Cuts Vacation Short to Deal with ISIL After Beheading Video Emerges - The Wire
Just a day into his summer break, David Cameron, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, has returned to work to address the situation in Iraq, after the video of journalist James Wright Foley allegedly being executed was released by ISIL. The White House has been working to confirm the video since yesterday evening, though the FBI said this morning that they believe it is authentic.
Cameron offered this statement on his decision, "If true, the brutal murder of James Foley is shocking and depraved." His office announced "[Cameron] will meet with the Foreign Secretary and senior officials from the Home Office, Foreign Office and the agencies to discuss the situation in Iraq and Syria and the threat posed by ISIL (Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant) terrorists." (Read more)
8. Ambassador: Britain close to identifying James Foley's killer - CNN
"We are close" to identifying the ISIS militant who beheaded American journalist James Foley, according to the British ambassador to the United States, Peter Westmacott. Westmacott told CNN's Candy Crowley on Sunday he couldn't elaborate on the identity of the killer, who is seen decapitating Foley in a video posted last week on YouTube. "We're putting a great deal into the search," he said, referring to the use of sophisticated technology to analyze the man's voice. (Read more)
9. Iraqi TV Host Cries Over Plight Of Christians - CNSNews.com; Religious Freedom Coalition
CNSNews.com reports on an Iraqi TV host who began crying when talking about the Islamic State persecution of Christians in his country.
The host, Nahi Mahdi, broke down in tears when discussing the plight of Iraqi Christians. "They are our own flesh and blood. Some of them have left for Sweden or Germany. Who does (the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria) think it is to drive out our fellow countrymen?"
Another panelist, Abu Al-Hassanein Al Rubi'l added:
"The Christians have done nothing wrong. They haven't hurt a soul. On the contrary, they are peaceful people who love all sects. They are honorable people with high moral values. They always maintain their sense of justice. We stand a hundred percent in solidarity with them." (Read more)
***10. ISIS Talking to Mexican Drug Cartels: Good Thing our Southern Border is Secure (NOT!) - CAIN TV
U.S. Representative Ted Poe (R-Texas) currently sits on the House Judiciary Committee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security. He appeared today on NewsmaxTV, where he was asked about the situation with ISIS in the wake of the beheading of James Foley. He didn't mince words, referring to the terror group as "evil personified." Poe observed that ISIS is "a group that cannot be negotiated with," adding that "we shouldn't negotiate with them, and they have to be defeated. They want to kill anybody that disagrees with them on politics and religion, whether it's Jews, Christians or even Muslims."
He said that Congress may authorize military action against ISIS, and that the President needs to be stronger in dealing with the threat. "There has to be consequences for their reckless murder of other people," he said. "Be proactive Mr. President, be very strong." "We have an option: do nothing or eliminate them," Poe said. Currently, he believes, ISIS expects the United States to "do nothing."
That's going to have to change, because Poe also announced that he believes that groups like ISIS are in contact with Mexican drug cartels. If that's true, it means they could soon be knocking on our porous, unenforced, "totally secure" Southern border. (Read more)
***11. Ryan wants to hear Obama's strategy to 'finish off' ISIS militants - The Hill
Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Sunday that he isn't hearing enough from President Obama about plans to "finish off" militants from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).
"I get the sense that [Defense] Secretary [Chuck] Hagel and [Army] General [Martin] Dempsey understand the gravity of the situation. Candidly, I don't want to hear from the president how he's reacting to events like the Mosul Dam," the House Budget Committee chairman said on CBS's "Face the Nation."
"What I want to hear from our commander-in-chief is that he has a strategy to finish ISIS off. To defeat ISIS," Ryan said. "If we don't deal with this threat now thoroughly and convincingly, it's going to come home to roost." (Read more) .. Read more: http://thehill.com/policy/defense/215847-ryan-wants-to-hear-obamas-plan-to-finish-off-isis-militants#ixzz3BKeiFHjD Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook
Tracking the Virus
Tracking the Virus
"No weapon formed against us shall prosper." (Isaiah 54:17)
1. WHO warns of 'shadow zones' and unreported Ebola cases - Reuters
Families hiding infected loved ones and the existence of "shadow zones" where medics cannot go mean the West African Ebola epidemic is even bigger than thought, the World Health Organization said on Friday. (Read more)
2. Ebola crisis: Senegal closes Guinea border - BBC
Senegal has closed its border with Guinea because of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, despite warnings that such measures are counterproductive. Senegal also banned flights and ships from Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone - the three worst-hit countries. The World Health Organization (WHO) says travel bans do not work, especially if they stop doctors going to help tackle the crisis. (Read more)
3. 'Underestimated' Ebola outbreak spreads - USA Today
Ebola continues to spread in West Africa as Sierra Leone voted to pass a new amendment imposing jail time for anyone caught hiding an Ebola patient.
With 142 new cases recorded, the total number is now 2,615 with 1,427 deaths, the World Health Organization said Friday. The group added that the magnitude of the Ebola outbreak has been "underestimated."
"Many families hide infected loved ones in their homes," the organization wrote in an assessment. "Others deny that a patient has Ebola and believe that care in an isolation ward - viewed as an incubator of the disease - will lead to infection and certain death. Most fear the stigma and social rejection that come to patients and families when a diagnosis of Ebola is confirmed." (Read more)
4. Ebola outbreak: Ivory Coast closes western borders - CBC News
Ivory Coast has closed its land borders with Ebola-affected West African neighbours Guinea and Liberia in an attempt to prevent the world's deadliest outbreak of the virus from spreading onto its territory, the government announced.
A number of African nations have defied advice from the World Health Organization (WHO) and put in place restrictions on travel to and from the countries where Ebola has appeared, which also include Sierra Leone and Nigeria. (Read more)
5. Ebola outbreak widens as death toll rises to 1,427 - CBC News
Two alarming new cases of Ebola have emerged in Nigeria, widening the circle of people sickened beyond the immediate group of caregivers who treated a dying airline passenger in one of Africa's largest cities.
New treatment centres in Liberia are being overwhelmed by patients that were not previously identified. One centre with 20 beds opened its doors to 70 possibly infected people, likely coming from "shadow-zones" where people fearing authorities won't let doctors enter, the UN health agency said.
"This phenomenon strongly suggests the existence of an invisible caseload of patients who are not being detected by the surveillance system," the agency said. This has "never before been seen in an Ebola outbreak." (Read more)
Prayer for Michael Brown's Funeral
Michael Brown's Memorial Service to be Held Today
[Later today, more than one thousand will gather to remember Michael Brown during his memorial service. We continue to ask prayer for this memorial service, as we did last week, below. Thank you.]
Michael Brown's Funeral to Be Held Monday, Al Sharpton to Deliver Eulogy
The family of Michael Brown has confirmed that the funeral for the teen, shot and killed by Ferguson, Mo., police, will be Monday, Aug. 25, at 10 a.m., according to their attorney Benjamin Crump. The Rev. Al Sharpton will deliver the eulogy. The funeral, which will be public, will be held at Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis. (BET) Read more.
- Begin now to cover this service in prayer. Ask our Lord to visit those who mourn, but also to quell the flames of renewed rage that may erupt as a result of this service. Father, we know that normally, the words of Rev. Al Sharpton can be used by the enemy to stir up the racial divide in our land. We ask that You, Abba Father God, would intervene so that his words will instead serve to bring healing to our land. In Jesus' name, amen.
- " . . . I can't say whatever I please. I must speak only what God puts in my mouth." (Numbers 22:38)
"Day of Rage" Fizzles Out
Anonymous Day Of Rage Over Michael Brown Fizzles Nationwide As Ragers Fail To Materialize
Last Thursday's "National Day Of Rage" planned by the hacktivist group Anonymous against the Aug. 9 police shooting death of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. failed to materialize in any remotely significant way.
Anonymous had called for a protest in 37 cities. A Facebook posting dated Thursday shows that organizers had also envisioned nationwide protests in the early evening in dozens of additional cities - everywhere from Helena, Mont. (pop. 29,134) to Perryville, Mo. (pop. 8,225)
The protests were a huge dud.
A smattering of dedicated protesters showed up in front of the White House, demanding the arrest of Darren Wilson, the police officer who shot Brown. The rally was largely overshadowed by a separate demonstration by Code Pink about hula "hoops not bombs," according to The Hill.
Downtown Tampa saw about 30 protesters. Maybe 20 people showed up in Denver. The scenes were about the same in Boston and Baltimore.
The edge of downtown Des Moines saw about 20 protesters hoisting signs and holding up their hands, reports The Des Moines Register.
"Is nobody else coming to #Oakland #DayOfRage besides the Oakland Police?" asked Twitter user Minister Flashes.
A Facebook user indicated that there were "15 strong in Spokane at the moment!"
(The Daily Caller) Read more here.
- Today we offer a great chorus of praise unto the LORD for this awesome answer to prayer. Last Thursday, 37 American cities were bracing themselves for "another Ferguson," and by the end of the day, the promised riots never really materialized.
We thank all of our Prayer Partners who stood up and who took note of these threats, along with thousands of other intercessors across the nation, who joined forces to confront the enemy with prayer.
As we continue to work together as watchmen on the wall, standing in unity and sounding the alarm when and where it is needed, we cannot fail. Thank You, Father. In Jesus Name, amen.
- "How can one man chase a thousand of them, and two pursue ten thousand; unless their Rock had delivered them up, and the LORD had handed them over?" (Deuteronomy 32:30)
America on the brink of civil war?
America on the brink of civil war?
Prompted by increasingly troubling events at home and abroad, Michael Savage pushed his publisher to make his new book available for pre-order as soon as possible.
That book, "The Coming Civil War: My Savage Truth," comes out in October. In his latest work, Savage calls on readers to help save America from certain doom, starting at the ballot box - but going beyond electoral politics to address the roots of our problems.
Savage "believes the split between right and left is possibly irreparable, unless we understand what's really happening and how we must act to stop it."
On the air this week, Dr. Savage used his background as a trained epidemiologist to explains the volatile situation in Ferguson, Missouri. He compared the town to a human body trying to fight off infection.
In his comparison, Al Sharpton and other outside agitators who claim to be "peacemakers" are actually making things worse, while the real peacemakers - the police - have, Savage said, been "neutralized by the ACLU and the media" (Read more)
The Days in Which We Live
The Days in Which We Live
A Commentary by Pastor Faye Higbee
Post Falls, Idaho
Our founding Fathers may have worn tights, lace on their cuffs and around their necks, but they most certainly were not wimps or cowards. They knew when it was time to fight. It is their spirit, their belief in what is right that has pervaded American society from the beginning. Do you have that same spirit? Or will you succumb to the worldly atmosphere that saturates societies now?
"These are the times that try men's souls." - Thomas Paine
We're in a war. A real one. You may think that the only one we're in is with radical Islam, but I'm here to tell you that the war is much much deeper than the natural world.
The forces at work at this point in history are not ones you can touch with your hands- they are ancient forces of evil that have a purpose. You can either play by their rules, or follow the heart of God. You choose.
So many are becoming selfish rather than selfless. But the Bible is VERY clear on the subject - if someone has something against someone else, God does not receive our gift until we have fixed the problem.
When there is a seed in the heart that is of darkness, there will be no friendship with God. That means those who walk away from being a friend, those who have their own selfish agenda in mind . . . they become the Judas factor.
"Because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold . . ." (Matthew 24:12)
I have a dear friend who is going through hell right now. His sister is dying. His mother is upset. His company is experiencing a temporary downturn and there is no money - he has lost nearly everything, and he has a family. His Facebook page was taken down for unknown reasons, which destroyed his ability to make more money. He has been betrayed by many who claimed to be his friends. He is most certainly NOT perfect, but he is still a human being with a heart. And he is not alone - the forces at work are raging through the world.
Friendships are being destroyed because of division. Patriots are not still patriots, because they are divided. If you can't stand together you can't call yourself a patriot, it's as simple as that. Families are being destroyed. Businesses are failing. Plagues are rampant, wars are everywhere, sin has torn our nation - and the world - apart. Everything that can be shaken is being shaken. The bottom line is that WE MUST HAVE HEARTS that follow God and not the things of this world. If our focus is on what we see, we will never reach the goal that God has set for us.
STOP right now and investigate your heart. Ask God to reveal anything in there that is off the beam. Don't worry, He doesn't carry a baseball bat - He is merciful. He will show you. If you do not believe in God, then ask that He reveal the truth to you. Let Him shower you with his gifts. Don't be afraid of becoming milktoast - Jesus walked the earth in great power - and He wasn't afraid to use it for the benefit even of people who hated Him in the end. God doesn't cotton to wimps - He seeks the meek, but not the weak. The spirit of our American forefathers still lives within us all - but as they asked for Divine assistance, so must we.
- Lord God, we thank You for this teaching that you have given to Faye today, and we do ask You to help us examine our hearts according to Psalm 139: 23,24 -- "Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; And see if there be any hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way."
We praise You, O God, for the cleansing work of the Cross.
Abba, we come before You, too, on behalf of Faye's friend. If all of the 4,000 of us on this prayer line will come into agreement with the promise of your word for him, we do believe that he will see a breakthrough -- bringing his own deliverance from trouble and bringing You the glory for answered prayer.
As we pray for this one, may he be a "first fruits offering" unto You, with many others blessed, as well. We do this now in Jesus' Name, amen.
"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." (Jeremiah 33:3)
"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:19)
A Prayer Regarding Terrorism
A Prayer Regarding Terrorism
Submitted by Delores Purvis
Good morning , Sara.
May your day be filled with enormous blessings.
In praying this morning, the Lord took me to Psalm 15. It, has to do with the Character of those who may dwell with the Lord. It made me think of our desire as intercessors to stand in purity before our Lord as we pray for repentance.
Prayer for today
Abba Father. Your word tells us that You do not forget the cry of the humble so we come before You in humble prayer, asking You to once again to search our hearts. Uncover any evil things that hide in darkness and make us a pure people in Your sight. Prepare our hearts and cause Your ear to hear our cry.
As we turn our eyes towards Zion we ask that You release the Spirit of Hope there, in Your precious name. Let them look unto the hills. Lord we trust in Your mercy and Your faithfulness as You make Your way straight before our eyes. You are our rock and our fortress and our deliverer. We thank You that You will deliver us from our enemies.
Father, as we see the destruction in the world, we bring before You, Hamas, ISIS, Moslem Brotherhood and all their affiliates and we lay these terrorists at Your feet. Let Your court be in session as we enter in with praise and thanksgiving to You. We ask that You crush the hands of the wicked. Their desire is that all your people would be destroyed. They are the seed of satan and like hell and death they will not be satisfied until all who do not bow down to their god be killed.
Have mercy on us, our God! Your word says in Psalm 11: 5-6 that Your soul hates the wicked and those who hate violence and that You will rain coals of fire and brimstone and a burning wind upon them Quickly, Lord we pray that this be done!
If there is one among them who would seek salvation, let them come to You in repentance and turn against these wicked people and come out from among them. Let them then give information to Israel so the IDF can protect Your people.
We ask You to let the wicked tremble in fear as they look upon Your face and see their defeat. We say, " The Lord rebuke you, satan, for all the wickedness you have caused."
We ask for Your blessings on this day as we come in praise to glorify your name.! Sing unto the Lord for He is good! In God's Mighty Name, Amen! Delores
Hobby Lobby - Part Two
New HHS Mandate Rule Adds Absurd Clerical Layers to Accounting Gimmick, Fails to Respect Hobby Lobby Ruling
August 22, 2014
Family Research Council (FRC), after reading the fact sheet on the new proposed HHS mandate rule pertaining to non-profit organizations and closely held for-profit entities, like Hobby Lobby and Conestoga Wood Specialties, again confirms that the HHS mandate violates the conscience rights of non-profit organizations and family businesses across the country.
. . . Effective immediately, this latest rule still orders charities like the Little Sisters of the Poor, non-profit Christian colleges like Wheaton College, and religious broadcasters like EWTN to violate their consciences simply because they legally contract for health coverage. The government uses their contract as the basis to force their insurers to provide their employees with free contraception and drugs that can kill human embryos, against their sincere conscientious beliefs.
If these charities and non-profits follow their conscience and decline to participate in the meaningless accounting gimmick, the administration will make them pay huge penalties accruable on a daily basis -- one hundred dollars per employee per day. (Family Research Council) (Read more)
Our Weekly Bible Study
Our Weekly Bible Study:
Week of Sunday, August 24 - Saturday, August 30
> > > To read the "One Year Bible" weekly letter, go here.
> > > To read the Shabbat Torah readings, go here.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Congress Takes Action: Questions Navy Policy that Led to Removal of Bibles from Navy Facilities (now reversed)
More than two dozen members of the House sent a letter this week to the secretary of the Navy questioning the policies and actions that led to the removal of Bibles at Navy lodges. They also reminded the secretary about the First Amendment's guarantee of religious liberty and corrected left-wing misinterpretations of the Establishment Clause.
The letter was organized by Rep. Randy Forbes, chairman of the Congressional Prayer Caucus, which includes more than 100 House members -- virtually all Republicans. I share this just to remind you that there are many good men and women of faith on Capitol Hill fighting for our values every day. (Source: Gary Bauer)
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders
Mapped: 568 earthquakes in Iceland in a single day
Iceland volcano: Bardarbunga eruption sparks red alert
For more than a week the earth has been rumbling beneath Iceland's looming Bardarbunga volcano. The almost continuous small earthquakes led the government to activate its National Crisis Coordination Centre this week and block off access to the largely uninhabited region around the Bardarbunga caldera. (The Globe and Mail)
Iceland has issued a red alert to the aviation industry for the Bardarbunga volcano, meaning significant ash emissions are likely. The Icelandic Met Office has warned that a small eruption under an ice cap has begun at Bardarbunga. The air space over the site has been closed, but all Icelandic airports currently remain open, authorities say. (BBC) Read more.
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"HALLELUJAH " SUNG BY THE IDF BAND IN ISRAEL
This is absolutely beautiful!
Lord protect these young IDF soldiers as they stand boldly for Your country and land. Israel is FOREVER !!!
"Don't be afraid, for I am with you.
Don't be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)
Today's Birthdays on the Hill
Almost every day of the year, a member of Congress or a Senator is celebrating a birthday. Let's lift up these men and women, day by day in prayer on their special day, that God might bless them and show them His love for each one. Indeed, let's move together in obedience to the Lord's mandate in I Timothy 2:1-4. It is written:
"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."
Today's Birthday Greetings go to:
Rep. Ron Barber (AZ)
Rep. Susan W. Brooks (IN)
Rep. Elizabeth Esty (CT)
Rep. Raul Ruiz (CA)
(Source: Bible Pathways Ministries. www.biblepathway.org)