American "Ebola" Doctor Writes a Message.
Read his powerful words here.
BULLETIN - More Urgent Prayers Needed for Iraq
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Friday, August 8, 2014
"You will not be afraid of the terror by night,
Or of the arrow that flies by day;
Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
Or of the destruction that lays waste at noon."
"I will uphold you with my righteous right hand" (Isa. 41:10)
The Daily Brief
1. US Launches First Airstrikes in Iraq - Breaking Christian News
This morning, Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Admiral John Kirby announced: "At approximately 6:45 AM EDT, the US military conducted a targeted airstrike against Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) terrorists.
Two F/A-18 aircraft dropped 500-pound laser-guided bombs on a mobile artillery piece near Erbil. ISIL was using this artillery to shell Kurdish forces defending Erbil where US personnel are located... [and] as the president made clear, the United States military will continue to take direct action against ISIL when they threaten our personnel and facilities." In a televised speech last night, President Obama was quoted as threatening to renew U.S. Military involvement in Iraq. (Read more)
- Abba, You love all mankind, regardless of race, religion, or any other creed, or segment of society; and we know that Yeshua died for all, and He IS a God of compassion, He is touched by the feelings of our weaknesses, having experienced being both human and divine, without sin. We do thank You for sending help to these people. May they see that You are the God Who delivers and rescues, and meets all of our needs; and may they turn to You for help, deliverance and salvation. Thank You that our nation is trying to help these people, In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "Now that we know what we have---Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God---let's not let it slip through our fingers. We don't have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He's been through weakness and testing, experienced it all---all but the sin. So let us approach Him and get what He is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help." (Hebrews 4:14-16)
2. 40,000 Iraqis stranded on mountain as Isis jihadists threaten death - The Guardian
Tens of thousands of members of one of Iraq's oldest minorities have been stranded on a mountain in the country's north-west, facing slaughter at the hands of jihadists surrounding them below if they flee, or death by dehydration if they stay.
UN groups say at least 40,000 members of the Yazidi sect, many of them women and children, have taken refuge in nine locations on Mount Sinjar, a craggy mile-high ridge identified in local legend as the final resting place of Noah's ark.
At least 130,000 more people, many from the Yazidi stronghold of Sinjar, have fled to Dohuk, in the Kurdish north, or to Irbil, where regional authorities have been struggling since June to deal with one of the biggest and most rapid refugee movements in decades. (Read more)
- Lord God in Heaven, we thank You that the U.S. and other nations have now heard the cries of these desperate, stranded refugees, and we ask for Your Hand of divine intervention to rest upon each one, keeping them alive until they are actually rescued. We ask in Your Name, amen.
- "Deliver those who are drawn toward death, And hold back those stumbling to the slaughter." (Proverbs 24:11)
3. "See You in New York": Jihadists' Plans for America - CBN News
Before Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi became what many consider the world's most powerful terrorist, he was in U.S. custody. U.S. forces released Baghdadi from an Iraqi prison in 2009 after four years in captivity. His reported parting words to American troops? "I'll see you guys in New York."
Baghdadi now leads a terrorist army of some 10,000 jihadists, known variously as ISIS or the Islamic State, that has conquered vast amounts of territory in Iraq and Syria. And his repeated threats to attack America have not gone unnoticed. (Read more)
- Lord, why does it appear as though evil people are more "dedicated" to their cause, than the righteous? Why such apathy, and failure to plan ahead? Father, we ask for an awakening to take place among Your children, those who have placed their trust in You. We know that a good rule in war is to "know your enemy", so you can be prepared for the confrontation, and use his weaknesses to exploit him, and try to avoid his strengths. We ask You, our Commander-in-Chief, to give us Your battle plans, and Your strategy, as we war with Your enemies, and ask that You will give us the victory, as the battle is Yours. For the advancement of Your kingdom principles, and Your time-table, we ask. Amen!
- "The Lord lives! Blessed be my Rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted,The God Who avenges me and subdues peoples under me, Who delivers me from my enemies; yes, You lift me up above those who rise up against me; You deliver me from the man of violence. Therefore will I give thanks and extol You, O Lord, among the nations, and sing praises to Your name. Great deliverances and triumphs gives He to His king; and He shows mercy and steadfast love to His anointed, to David and his offspring forever." (Psalm 18:46-50)
4. Border Patrol Agent: Federal Government Releasing Murderers Into U.S. - CBS News
A Border Patrol agent claims that the federal government is allowing murderers from Central America to be released into the U.S. Speaking to Fox News on Wednesday, agent Chris Cabrera stated that these teenage gang members crossing the border are being released to family members in the U.S.
- Lord, we see such a corrolation between our borders being breached by criminals, and Israeli borders being breached by terrorists. In both cases, we cry out to you for a strengthening of our borders. We are saddened by the Senate playing politics and refusing to pass legislation that would bring some order out of this chaos, before leaving for their summer recess. It seems obvious, that they are working hand-in-hand with the president, who wants to dictate his own agenda through an executive order, without Congressional approval. Help us, Lord, to bring order to this situation, and stem the increase of lawlessness in our Land. Our Hope is in You!
- "For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether. You have hedged me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it." (Psalm 139:4-6)
5. Center of Iselle lashes Hawaii's Big Island with wind, rain - Yahoo News
The center of Tropical Storm Iselle made landfall on Hawaii's Big Island on Friday, bringing strong winds and heavy rain, knocking down trees and causing power outages ahead of a more powerful storm gathering strength behind it. While Iselle weakened into a tropical storm before reaching the islands, it was being closely followed by Julio, a Category 3 hurricane set to reach the area as early as Sunday morning - although the latest forecasts showed it tracking just north of the archipelago. As Iselle bore down, more than 1,200 people flocked to evacuation shelters across the Big Island, according to County of Hawaii Civil Defense, as heavy rains and strong winds pummeled eastern areas of the island . . .
- Father, we know that You control the wind and the waves, and we believe that You will bring good out of this situation. We pray, first and foremost, that there be no loss of life from either of these hurricanes. We ask You to intervene and protect Your people. We thank You that the Hawaiians have taken this threat seriously and have prepared for this. We ask for restoration of electricity, and we speak against floods and devastation, in Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm. The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!" (Matthew 8:2,27)
6. 'Lethargic' Obama seems to have no interest in discussing Hamas, Russia -Fox News
"There's no compassion, no interest, there's nothing behind it," he said. "You have to wonder why did he hold the press conference? I'm not sure that he advanced any issue at all other than to show adversaries, bad guys in the world, you don't have to worry about this guy." (Read more)
- Lord, we do not understand what is going on with our President, and why he seems so "laissez faire" whether it behis exhausting schedule of meetings for his African summit the last few days, or that he is already in "vacation mode". However, we do ask that while he is on his upcoming vacation, that You would be there with him, on the golf course, in his room at night, etc., challenging him on his policies and agendas and their "getting in sync" with Yours. May he be thinking about the military generals telling him that our armed forces have diminished and are now ill-prepared for future security concerns . . . and the border crisis, which he created, and the illegal immigrants he is importing, the loss of jobs, etc. etc. that now exists as a result of his failed policies.
We pray that You would confront and challenge him; reveal Yourself to him, and Your great love for him; and Your desire to govern with him in bringing this nation back to its former glory. May he humble himself before You, and surrender his allegiance to You. If not, we pray that You will do whatever You deem right and necessary concerning this man, we pray, Amen.
- "I have declared my ways and opened my griefs to You, and You listened to me; teach me Your statutes. Make me understand the way of Your precepts; so shall I meditate on and talk of Your wondrous works. My life dissolves and weeps itself away for heaviness; raise me up and strengthen me according to [the promises of] Your word." (Psalm 119:26-28)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
OPERATION PROTECTIVE EDGE
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"He will give His angels charge concerning you, to guard you in all your ways." (Psalm 91:11)
1. Dozens of rockets fired at Israel as Hamas ends ceasefire, IDF hits back - Times of Israel
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon ordered the IDF Friday to "respond with force" to rocket fire against Israel originating from the Gaza Strip, after Palestinian terror groups in Gaza broke the ceasefire at 8 a.m. and began firing dozens of rockets at southern Israel.
Hamas officials refused to extend the three-day cease-fire, but said they were willing to continue negotiations in Cairo. Israel said it would not negotiate under fire and would protect its citizens by all means. The Israeli delegation left Cairo on Friday morning, and it was not clear if it would return. Egyptian officials were continuing talks with the Palestinian delegation, which was reportedly divided, with PA representatives having urged an extension of the ceasefire, overruled by Hamas. (Read more)
2. Propaganda War - Part II - Gary Bauer
Reporters and international observers now pouring into Gaza are expressing shock at the devastation they are finding. Predictably Israel is being presented as the villain responsible for the destruction. Hamas is barely mentioned. When Berlin was reduced to rubble in World War II did the blame go to the U.S. and Britain? Of course not. We had the moral clarity to understand it was Hitler and his aggression that was the cause of the suffering of the people of Berlin.
In a front-page piece in the Washington Post this morning, it is reported that "airstrikes and shelling have wrecked at least 10,000 houses." There was no mention of how many homes were booby-trapped by Hamas and had to be detonated, nor how many were hit by the estimated 300 to 500 Hamas missiles that landed on their own territory.
The Post informs us that "80 mosques have been damaged or destroyed." How many had weapons stored in them? How many were used as command centers? Perhaps just as important - how many of them were led by imams who teach the people of Gaza to hate Christians and Jews and teach their children to be suicide bombers?
There will now be an international effort to rebuild Gaza and help the suffering people there. But if the mosques, houses and schools are repaired while the poison of Hamas is left in place, the people of Gaza will be used again and will suffer again. There must be a complete demilitarization of Gaza, and Hamas must be rooted out. Only then will peace have a chance.
3. Netanyahu: "This is a Test for the Civilized World" - Gary Bauer
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also had a press conference yesterday. He told reporters that Hamas's human shield strategy is a test for the civilized world. Here is how he put it:
"[T]his is a testing period now. Can a terrorist organization fire thousands of rockets at cities of a democracy? Can a terrorist organization embed itself in civilian areas? Can it dig terror tunnels from civilian areas? Can it do so with impunity because it counts on the victimized country to respond as it must, as any country would, and then be blamed for it? Can we accept a situation in which the terrorists would be exonerated and the victims accused? The test is for the civilized world itself, how it is able to defend itself."
Now let's see if anyone in Washington, D.C., London, Berlin, Paris, Rome and Madrid gets it.
4. Operation Protective Edge Daily Update: August 7, 2014 - AIPAC
To read this update from AIPAC, please go here.
5. Ceasefire Ends, Fighting Resumes- Worthy News
Israel withdrew its diplomatic team from Egypt, after Hamas launched 20 rockets at Israeli cities, saying it will not negotiate under fire. Israel Defense Forces struck terrorist sites throughout the Gaza Strip as fighting has renewed.
6. Hamas military wing says it's ready for next round of fighting with Israel - Jerusalem Post
As representatives of Israel and the Palestinian factions remain engaged in Egyptian- mediated cease-fire discussions in Cairo, operatives of Izzadin Kassam gave Al Jazeera a glimpse of the tunnels and rocket-launchers that they are concealing in concrete bunkers.
7. Journalists Confirm Hamas Rockets Used In and Around Civilian Sites - Washington Free Beacon
Foreign correspondents emerging from the Gaza Strip since a cease-fire between Israel and Hamas went into effect two days ago are confirming Israel's claims that Hamas was firing rockets during the month-long confrontation from residential areas and near UN facilities.
8. Hamas Is ______________? - Gary Bauer
What word would you use to describe a murderous group of Jew-hating thugs who encourage children to be suicide bombers and hide behind civilians as they wage war? When Gaza came up yesterday in a press conference, President Obama could only come up with this "stirring" condemnation: "Hamas acts extraordinarily irresponsibly when it is deliberately siting rocket launchers in population centers."
Really? Irresponsibly? There are many actions that deserve that adverb. Texting while driving and failing to pay your bills on time are examples of irresponsibility. But storing rockets in schools, firing missiles from mosques and putting bomb belts on children are not merely irresponsible. They are war crimes.
When President Obama is really angry, it is easy to see it and hear it in his voice. Just ask conservatives in Congress, supporters of the Tea Party movement or the "1%"- all of whom have been called greedy, racist extremists and worse by Obama and his spokesmen.
There was no anger displayed by Obama about Hamas and its war crimes. Once again he had a chance to claim the moral high ground on behalf of the U.S., Israel and Judeo-Christian civilization, and once again he refused to do so.
Tracking the Virus
Tracking the Virus
"You will not be afraid of the terror by night,
Or of the arrow that flies by day;
Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
Or of the destruction that lays waste at noon."
1. 'Clear and present danger' - CNN.com
Worried world watches as Ebola death toll rises A nurse in Nigeria. A businessman in Saudi Arabia. A Spanish priest in Liberia. Now 932 deaths have been reported or confirmed. "This is the biggest and most complex Ebola outbreak in history," Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said. (Read more)
2. CDC Chief Warns Against 'False Hopes' on Ebola Drugs - NBC News
A top U.S. health official told Congress on Thursday that the federal government is looking "very carefully" at experimental Ebola treatments, but he said that it is too early to tell whether they are helpful or even safe.
"I don't want any false hopes out there," said the official, Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Right now we don't know if they work, and we can't, as far as we know, have them in any significant numbers."
Even if all goes well with testing, he said, scientists are "months or at least a year" away from significant quantities of a treatment or vaccine. (Read more)
3. Ebola Spins Out of Control, Many Cases Unreported - CBN News
The death toll is still rising from the Ebola virus in West Africa, with health experts calling it the worst outbreak of the disease the world has ever seen. Ebola has killed nearly a thousand people in four West African countries. But a doctor working in the heart of the outbreak told CBS News many cases are going unreported.
"This outbreak of Ebola is remarkable. The cases in the last couple of weeks represents a third of all the Ebola cases ever reported," said Dr. Michael Phillips, director of Infection Prevention and Control at NYU Langone Medical Center.
The virus is spinning out of control because it's difficult to contain in a sprawling, congested city center. The bodies of Ebola victims litter the streets in some areas. On record, there are now more than 1,700 active cases, including an elderly missionary priest who has been evacuated and returned home to Spain. (Read more)
4. Dr. Ben Carson: Ebola Virus Could Be Used for Bioterrorism - Newsmax
Dr. Ben Carson says he fears Ebola could be used for biological terrorism. That's one reason he has said the two medical missionaries who contracted the virus in Africa should have stayed there for treatment until they were no longer contagious, he said Wednesday on Fox News Channel's "Your World with Neil Cavuto."
Ebola is spread through contact with bodily fluids and not through air particles. Still, Carson noted, some viruses do mutate to more virulent strains, and Ebola can live inside fluids for several days outside of the body.
"So if there were a container of contaminated urine, and somehow it managed to find its way to someplace a lot of damage could be done," Carson said. He suggested a scenario: "Someone comes up to a lab worker. He knows he's got the urine. 'How would you like to have a million dollars?' . . . Such things have been known to happen." (Read more)
5. Ebola crisis: Is Obama's CDC adding to fears? - Fox News
Until Tuesday's press conference, as far as we knew, there were just two American aid workers with the confirmed Ebola virus being treated in isolation units in Atlanta. A possible third patient was in quarantine in New York City's Mount Sinai Hospital - the latter of whom health officials said is unlikely to be infected with the virus.
Finding out, after the fact, that there are as many as six other patients in various parts of the country being tested for the virus shows a lack of transparency that could be problematic when dealing with the widespread fear and misinformation surrounding this outbreak.
Now, many people are wondering: Are there any other cases of Ebola that the CDC is not telling us about? Am I going to be quarantined if I go to the emergency room with viral symptoms? Are scientists going to West Africa planning to report on the progress of their campaign to control the situation? (Read more)
6. 25 Critical Facts About This Ebola Outbreak That Every American Needs To Know - RightSideNews
What would a global pandemic look like for a disease that has no cure and that kills more than half of the people that it infects? Let's hope that we don't get to find out, but what we do know is that more than 100 health workers that were on the front lines of fighting this disease have ended up getting it themselves. The top health officials in the entire world are sounding the alarm and the phrase "out of control" is constantly being thrown around by professionals with decades of experience. So should average Americans be concerned about Ebola? If so, how bad could an Ebola outbreak in the U.S. potentially become? The following are 25 critical facts about this Ebola outbreak that every American needs to know. (Read more)
7. Ebola-infected American doctor: "I am growing stronger every day" - Fox News
Dr. Kent Brantly, the American doctor infected with Ebola released a statement Friday afternoon- his first since being brought back to the U.S.
He released the following statement through Samaritan's Purse: "I am writing this update from my isolation room at Emory University Hospital, where the doctors and nurses are providing the very best care possible. I am growing stronger every day, and I thank God for His mercy as I have wrestled with this terrible disease. I also want to extend my deep and sincere thanks to all of you who have been praying for my recovery as well as for Nancy and for the people of Liberia and West Africa. (Read his amazing testimony by going here.)
8. World Health Organization: Ebola Epidemic Now an "International Health Emergency" - Breitbart
The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday that the Ebola outbreak in West Africa is now an "international public health emergency" which will require "an extraordinary response to stop its spread."
According to the Breitbart report, Dr. Margaret Chan, the WHO chief, said it's a "clear call for international solidarity," although not every country would experience an Ebola case first-hand.
"Countries affected to date simply do not have the capacity to manage an outbreak of this size and complexity on their own," added Dr. Chan. "I urge the international community to provide this support on the most urgent basis possible."
The report stated that this Ebola outbreak started in March, in Guinea and then spread to Sierra Leone and Liberia. There is also a "suspected cluster" of Ebola cases in Nigeria.
Currently there is no vaccine, and treatments are yet unlicensed and experimental. (Read more)
- Please pray for God's wisdom and direction for researchers in finding a cure and vaccine for this deadly disease.
- "Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19)
The Daily Jot
A man who won't look you in the eyes
Television programming was interrupted last night by a news bulletin from the "president". The "president" announced that he was sending humanitarian aid and selected air strikes to help the people displaced by the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant's genocidal march to Baghdad. Interesting that this man did not once look the camera head on. He addressed the American people, but he did not look at them. His announcement was full of demagoguery and arrogance, as if he had nothing to do with creating and managing the crisis he is now having to address, as he explained, "That's a hallmark of American leadership. That's who we are."
The situation in Iraq with the onset of the caliphate crusading ISIL, whose leader this "president's" administration released from prison and assisted in training many of its chief lieutenants, is grave. While it is not for the United States to be the police force for the world, it is important that our word is our bond. We made a commitment to the innocents in Iraq that we would stabilize the nation and protect the citizens from the actions of the bloodthirsty and the slavers--in essence, from the Islamic religion. Since the current "president" took office, the US has abandoned them--meaning that Christians and other minority religions were left on their own to die and be enslaved by Muslims.
Now the "president" thinks he needs to intervene because "We do whatever is necessary to protect our people. We support our allies when they're in danger." He said, "But when the lives of American citizens are at risk, we will take action. That's my responsibility as Commander-in-Chief. And when many thousands of innocent civilians are faced with the danger of being wiped out, and we have the capacity to do something about it, we will take action. That is our responsibility as Americans." I wonder how the parents of those men who died in Benghazi feel about this commitment the "president" made without looking the American people in the eyes.
Moreover, this "president" has done more to empower the ruthless barbarism of Islam more than any in history. By siding with the Muslim Brotherhood and America's enemies in Israel, Libya, Egypt, Yemen, Tunisia, and other countries, he has created an atmosphere of death and destruction. This is also a testimony to Islam--a system that uses religion to violate the lives, freedoms, and human rights of anyone who disagrees with them. The Bible says in James 1:8, "A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways." There is no credibility in saying you protect innocent lives and American citizens as a matter of policy when your policies are destructive to them. No wonder he won't look us in the eyes.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
9/11 and The U.S. Marines
9/11, The U.S. Marines, and the Children . . .
AFTER FLIGHT #77 HIT THE PENTAGON ON 9/11, THE FOLLOWING HAPPENED:
A Chaplain, who happened to be assigned to the Pentagon, told of an incident that happened right after Flight #77 hit the Pentagon on 9/11. A daycare facility inside the Pentagon had many children, including infants who were in heavy cribs. The daycare supervisor, looking at all the children they needed to evacuate, was in a panic over what they could do. There were many children, mostly toddlers, as well as the infants that would need to be taken out with the cribs. There was no time to try to bundle them into carriers and strollers.
Just then a young Marine came running into the center and asked what they needed. After hearing what the center director was trying to do, he ran backout into the hallway and disappeared. The director thought: "Well, here we are, on our own." About 2 minutes later, that Marine returned with 40 other Marines in tow. Each of them grabbed a crib with a child, and the rest started gathering up toddlers
The director and her staff then helped them take all the children out of the center and down toward the park near the Potomac River.
Once they got about 3/4 of a mile outside the building, the Marines stopped in the park, and then did a fabulous thing: - they formed a circle with the cribs -, which were quite sturdy and heavy, like the covered wagons in the Old West. Inside this circle of cribs, they put the toddlers, to keep them from wandering off.
Outside this circle were the 40 Marines, forming a perimeter around the children and waiting for instructions. There they remained until the parents could be notified and come get their children.
The Chaplain then said: "I don't think any of us saw nor heard of this on any of the news stories of the day. It was an incredible story of our men there."
There wasn't a dry eye in the room. The thought of those Marines and what they did and how fast they reacted. Could we expect any less from them? It was one of the most touching stories from the Pentagon.
If you care to offer the smallest token of recognition and appreciation for the Military, please pass this on and Pray for our men and women, who have served and are currently serving our Country, and Pray for those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for Freedom.
"GOD BLESS AMERICA"
(To read more about this report, and to view photos of the Marines taking care of these children, please go here.)
6th Circuit Decides on Marriage in 4 States
Circuit Court to Decide on Marriage in Four States
A three judge panel of the Sixth Circuit Federal Court of Appeals in Cincinnati heard cases today that challenge traditional marriage amendments in four state Constitutions: Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee. Each of the Amendments, duly passed by a majority of voters in each state according to their own Constitutional process, was ruled unconstitutional in federal district courts. The Appeals Court will consider all four as a single case. In nearly every federal jurisdiction, it seems activists can find liberal district judges who agree with the argument that same-sex "marriage" is a fundamental right by expanding the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment. Christians are tired of this fight, and many, including prominent pastors, have given in.
- Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever! Your design for marriage is not only divine law and points to the union between Christ and the Church, but it has tremendous social benefits. Man may try to change it, but to do so it is to invite the sad consequences. May your people stand, proclaim truth lovingly, and refuse to bow to the lie, however craftily presented. Please move the Appeals Court to reverse these tyrannical and immoral rulings that usurp the clear intention of God, the expressed will of the people, their duly enacted state constitutions, their history and heritage!
- "He who sows iniquity will reap sorrow, And the rod of his anger will fail." (Prov. 22:8)
(Source: FRC Prayer Targets)
> > > Update from Gary Bauer:
A Victory For Marriage On The Horizon?
During a hearing of the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals yesterday, attorneys representing four states-Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee-argued before a panel of three judges that popular votes in those states preserving traditional marriage should stand.
Ever since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down parts of the Defense of Marriage Act last year, the gay rights movement has been on a long winning streak in the lower federal courts. Many of these lower court decisions have gone further than even what the Supreme Court decided in knocking down DOMA. The lower court decisions have struck down laws put in place by majorities of voters, and they have no doubt demoralized many people who believe in and are fighting for normal marriage.
The Sixth Circuit will be the third court of appeals to rule on marriage. The other two courts both decided in favor of same-sex marriage. But the Sixth Circuit is more conservative than the other courts, having twice as many judges who were appointed by Republican presidents as by Democratic presidents. (Those who still embrace the idea that there's little difference between the parties should think about that.)
These three judges appear to reflect that two-to-one breakdown. In questioning yesterday, two judges seemed very skeptical of arguments by attorneys representing gay couples. Appeals Court Judge Jeffrey S. Sutton repeatedly asked attorneys for same-sex couples why they didn't think it was better to obtain marriage rights by winning the "hearts and minds" of citizens rather than through judicial fiat. Another judge expressed concern about overturning the will of the people. Those are two points that were completely ignored by other courts.
If this panel rules in favor of the states, this case could go to the Supreme Court, where there are only four reliable votes for traditional marriage. So, frustratingly, the status of one of society's most important and enduring institutions may again depend on the whims of one person, Justice Anthony Kennedy.
MORE URGENT PRAYERS NEEDED FOR IRAQ
MORE URGENT PRAYERS NEEDED FOR IRAQ
URGENT Prayer Alert! Children Are Being Beheaded, Mothers Raped, Fathers Hung: Terrorists Conducting "Christian Genocide" in Iraq
"They are absolutely killing every Christian they see. This is absolutely a genocide in every sense of the word." -Mark Arabo
(Iraq)-It is with a heavy-heart, grieved spirit, and a sick stomach that we must report the most evil, horrific acts carried out yet by ISIS troops in Iraq against Christians.
In a CNN interview, Chaldean-American leader and California businessman, Mark Arabo, said, "Christianity in Mosul is dead, and a Christian holocaust is in our midst. Children are being beheaded, mothers are being raped and killed, and fathers are being hung. Right now, three thousand Christians are in Iraq fleeing to neighboring cities."
Arabo confirmed his statement saying, "They are systematically beheading children. And mothers and fathers. The world hasn't seen an evil like this for generations."
"There's actually a park in Mosul where they actually beheaded children and put their heads on a stick . . . These are crimes against humanity. They are doing the most horrendous, the most heart-breaking crimes that you can think of."
France has offered Iraqi Christians asylum, and Arabo has called on the international community to follow their lead. (CNSNews.com) Read more here.
[Also reported by: Breaking Christian News]
- Father God, for those of us who have been schooled in the harsh realities of Islam, in a way . . . this news comes as no surprise to us. Nevertheless, we cringe in horror as we read these headlines, and we cry out to You, Father of Mercy, to show Your mercy to these innocent Iraqi victims of Islam's brutality.
We ask that America's military intervention would be completely successful, as these bombs are targeting ISIS operating sites. We ask for the souls of these evil people, because only You, Abba, can bring Your light to penetrate their dark, dark hearts. Abba, Father, this is so big . . . we pray in the Spirit and we ask for Your help. Rescue these afflicted, in Jesus' Name, amen.
- "Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God." (Matthew 19:26)
> > > See also:
Iraqi MP Breaks Down in Tears Pleading Parliament to Save Yazidis from Genocide - MEMRI TV
Common Core Exposed
Common Core Exposed
We are finding out that Common Core will lower educational standards in most places. But more importantly, ask yourself: Do I want the Obama administration or some future federal agency to shape my children and/or grandchildren's minds? What do I want them taught about same-sex "marriage?" Abortion? Islam, Christianity and Israel? Gun ownership? Current events from a liberal perspective? Government and politics from a left-leaning vantage point? Decidedly progressive view of American and modern history? How about the "separation of church and state" and the role of Christians in politics and government? Etc. Fortunately, some governors are listening to the conservative groundswell against Common Core and are terminating their state programs, some already underway.
- Lord, we ask for your help in defeating this leviathan. Once these federal programs are underway it becomes nearly impossible for the parents to regain control. You have given parents responsibility for the nurture and education of their children and will hold them to account. Please use this attempt to usurp parental authority to stir parents across America to take a stand to preserve their God-given rights and to rise to a new level of exercising their responsibility under God for their children's good. Bring Common Core to a timely demise.
- "Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord." (Colossians 3:20)
In God We Trust
In God We Trust
Since 1962, a successful assault has been underway to subvert religious liberty in America, including periodic attacks on our national motto, "In God We Trust." In 2011, the U.S. Congress passed HR 13, a resolution to reaffirm our national motto and encourage its public display. Numerous U.S. Congressmen and state legislators will display the motto in their offices, 600 Michigan high schools participated in a contest to promote the motto, and hundreds of California cities now display "In God We Trust" in their public buildings; Three states (PA, MI, VA) have called for the motto's display in school classrooms.
FRC is partnering with the Congressional Prayer Caucus Foundation and others to enlist one million people to display attractive, high quality, removable "IN GOD WE TRUST" decals in their homes, businesses, and automobiles across the USA! FRC's Annual Call2Fall campaign will receive a small percentage of the proceeds for a decal purchased through FRC.
Click here to find out more and to get your decals! (It could take up to two weeks for delivery.)
Signs and Wonders
Hawaii Braces for Two Storms
Hurricane Julio Up Next
Hawaii braced for what could become the first hurricane to slam the state in nearly a quarter-century Thursday as islanders scrambled to stock up on supplies and take shelter. Hurricane Iselle, a Category 1 storm, was expected to hit the Big Island on Thursday evening with a second Category 2 storm, Julio, close on its tail, according to forecasters. The eye of Iselle loomed roughly 190 miles east-southeast of Hilo just after 8 p.m. ET and was churning at a speed of 16 mph, National Weather Service meteorologist Chris Brenchley said. It is expected to wallop the state with heavy rains, winds gusting up to 85 mph and potentially dangerous flash flooding.
At a news conference Thursday, state officials called on islanders to hunker down ahead of the fast-moving storm, which could become the first hurricane to thump Hawaii since Hurricane Iniki made landfall in 1992. Governor Neil Abercrombie said that emergency crews were "fully prepared" for a rough night ahead and "confident" they could handle the brunt of the storm, but he stressed that "this is not some game." He said the National Guard was at the ready and shelters were being opened across the state. The two looming storms have disrupted the tourism industry and scuttled summer vacation plans. Education officials said public schools on the Big Island, Maui, Molokai and Lanai will be closed Thursday.
As islanders descended on grocery stores for bottled water and batteries early Thursday, a magnitude 4.5 earthquake shook Waimea on the eastern shore of the Big Island, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The tremor didn't cause major damage or injuries, but the 6:30 a.m. jolt rattled residents who were busy running last-minute trips to Costco and filling up their cars with gas. Islanders were boarding up their homes amid warnings that Iselle could lash roofs and windows. (Read more)
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Son of Ebola Victim Nancy Writebol Says His Mother is "Strengthening Her Faith in Her Redeemer, Jesus"
"Please continue to pray for her recovery." -Jeremy Writebol
(Atlanta, GA)-Jeremy Writebol, son of SIM missionary Nancy Writebol, who returned to the United States and was admitted to Emory University Hospital yesterday after contracting the Ebola virus in Liberia, issued the following statement today:
"We are grateful to be able to see our mom once again, and we entrust her care both to the Lord and to the fine doctors and staff at Emory University Hospital. Mom is tired from her travel, but continues to fight the virus and strengthen her faith in her Redeemer, Jesus. We were able to spend a few minutes with her to encourage her and be encouraged by her condition. Her servant's heart is evident, as she expressed concern for us above and beyond her own circumstances.
"Please continue to pray for her recovery and for wisdom for the doctors and medical staff caring for her. We lean on Christ, our stronghold in this time of trouble, because we know the Lord has not forsaken us (Ps. 9:9-10)."
Source: Breaking Christian News
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
A Prayer For Healing - Karen Smith