Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
On Capitol Hill This Week Volume XX, Number 8a
March 4 - 8, 2013
"Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world." (I John 4:4)
News from Israel
News from Israel
- SENATORS PRESS RESOLUTION TO GREEN-LIGHT ISRAELI ATTACK ON IRAN
- NETANYAHU TO ASK PERES FOR EXTENSION TO FORM GOVERNMENT
- REPORT: OBAMA TO CANCEL VISIT IF PM DOESN'T FORM GOV'T
- UN'S BAN: ERDOGAN'S ZIONISM COMMENT 'HURTFUL'
- KERRY: TURKISH PM'S ZIONISM QUIP 'OBJECTIONABLE'
- SYRIAN TANK SHELL LANDS IN GOLAN HEIGHTS
- SENIOR OFFICER'S VEHICLE HIT BY GUNSHOTS
- SYRIAN NO-MAN'S LAND BORDERING ISRAEL AND JORDAN IS UP FOR GRABS
- ROCKET HITS OUTSKIRTS OF ASHKELON
- ISRAEL MAY LOSE $500 MILLION IN US AID
1. SENATORS PRESS RESOLUTION TO GREEN-LIGHT ISRAELI ATTACK ON IRAN
A joint resolution set to be introduced by Sens. Lindsey Graham (SC) and Robert Menendez (NJ), a Republican and Democrat, respectively, declares U.S. support for an Israeli military strike against Iran's nuclear program. The resolution, which expresses the sense of the Congress, will be supported by the thousands of delegates to the American Israeli Public Affairs Committee annual conference that will stream through the Capitol this weekend. With prominent liberal Democrats already signing on, AIPAC's lobbying heft will likely propel a bill that, in Congressional sentiment at least, commits the U.S. to active support of a potential Israeli attack that experts think could have consequences as grave as further destabilization in the region, adverse global economic consequences, and even a hardening of Iranian resolve to get a weapon.
While non-binding Congressional resolutions don't directly make policy, the language therein often manifests itself both in later, binding legislative efforts and, more frequently, in the public discourse. In this case, the resolution builds steam for a hawkish push against Iran at a time when the Islamic Republic and world powers are amid a negotiating process over the former's nuclear program, which is widely believed to be aimed at producing weapons.
In demanding the U.S. lend help to Israel should it strike, the new resolution goes even farther than a similar one languishing in the House. Introduced in late 2011 by Texas Rep. Louie Gohmert and supported by 73 of his fellow Republicans, including Michele Bachmann (MN), that resolution eschewed talk of direct U.S. aid and only affirmed "support for Israel's right to use all means necessary" against Iran. No Democrats signed on as co-sponsors, and a House Democratic aide e-mailed last night that they'd rejected this as "the Iraq -I mean, Iran War Resolution."
But the resolutions are part of a long game. At my last job, AIPAC complained when a colleague wrote that the group's tactics were pushing the U.S. toward a new Middle East war. Make no mistake: though non-binding, this Graham-Menendez resolution-announced as an AIPAC initiative before being introduced in Congress-is a pro-war effort. During now-Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel's confirmation hearing, the nominee's years-old remarks about the influence of the pro-Israel lobby on Capitol Hill were seized upon: "Name one dumb thing we've been goaded into doing by the Israeli, Jewish lobby," one Republican demanded. If only Graham had given Hagel an extra few weeks to hand him this shining example.
- Lord Jesus, the action by Iran to develop nuclear bombs is like a long simmering pot. Sanctions and various setbacks have not stopped the Iranian development. However, since it has gone on for so long a period, we must awaken and rise up further in prayer as the long time for this to be in the news causes some to be 'numbed' to the danger. This development is critically dangerous and is tied with North Korea's pushing the same kind of development, and voicing very similar kinds of threats to nations in the world. Rogue nations with deadly bombs and lots of lawless anger means danger is real and aimed at all of us. Lord, we fall before You to beg for mercy and for discernment as to when and how to stop this. Lord, You rule the nations, You rule the earth. We ask that You protect Israel and let them know what You would want done as to this nuclear threat. We also thank you for the US congressional resolution, where they are trying to stand with Israel as to this threat. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice. (Proverbs 21:3)
2. NETANYAHU TO ASK PERES FOR EXTENSION TO FORM GOVERNMENT
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will meet with President Shimon Peres on Saturday evening and officially ask him for an extension in order to form the new government.
The customary 28-day timeframe afforded to the prime minister after the Likud's election win, has elapsed over the weekend.
Israel's Election Act, as well as Basic Law: The Government, state that the winning candidate is allowed to petition the president for an additional 14 days to complete the task, should the initial timeframe prove insufficient. According to the law, should Netanyahu fail to form a government at the end of his 14-day extension, Peres could task another candidate with the responsibility.
In the event that the president does ask another candidate to form the government and he or she fails as well, a new general elections would be called.
- Heavenly Father, we know this is an extremely critical time in Israel's history. We can see how angry and divided all sorts of factions in the Israeli political parties are. PM Netanyahu has been working hard to negotiate a number of them to unite for a coalition, yet they continue to be very divisive and angry. Help, Lord! We ask that You rise up, extend Your right hand and arm to stop all this squabbling, and to confront Your people with the seriousness of the hour. This is especially so with enemy factions on every border of Israel. We ask you to clearly direct PM Netanyahu what You want him to do to resolve this, in Jesus Name, Amen and Amen.
- Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! (Psalm 46:10) It is good for me that I have been afflicted, that I may learn Your statutes. (Psalm 119:71)
3. REPORT: OBAMA TO CANCEL VISIT IF PM DOESN'T FORM GOV'T
If Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu cannot complete the task of forming a coalition by the March 16 deadline, US President Barack Obama will cancel his March 20 visit to Israel, Channel 10 quoted American officials as saying on Thursday.
Additionally, Channel 10 quoted the American officials as saying the Americans wants to see Yesh Atid leader Yair Lapid as the next foreign minister.
- Abba Father, this news clip reflects how this trip to Israel is motivated by definite agendas for the US administration, and is not just a diplomatic visit of mutual support. Lord, we ask that You be in the midst with Your guardian angels in force all around Your special land and people, so that hidden agendas cannot harm them, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people from this time forth and forever. (Psalm 125:2) There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death. (Proverbs 14:12)
4. UN'S BAN: ERDOGAN'S ZIONISM COMMENT 'HURTFUL'
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said on Friday Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan's description of Zionism as a crime against humanity was "hurtful and divisive", adding to criticism of comments that risk deepening Turkey's rift with Israel.
Ban's spokesman said the secretary-general had heard Erdogan's speech at a UN meeting in Vienna on Wednesday through an interpreter.
"The secretary-general believes is it is unfortunate that such hurtful and divisive comments were uttered at a meeting being held under the theme of responsible leadership," the spokesman said in a statement.
Erdogan had told the UN Alliance of Civilizations meeting in Vienna: "Just as with Zionism, anti-Semitism and fascism, it has become necessary to view Islamophobia as a crime against humanity."
Ties between Israel and mostly Muslim Turkey have been frosty since 2010, when nine Turks were killed by Israeli commandos who stormed the Gaza-bound Mavi Marmara ship.
US National Security Council Spokesman Tommy Vietor said the characterization was "offensive and wrong" and said people of all religions should "denounce hateful actions and overcome ... differences." US State Secretary John Kerry is expected to raise the issue when he meets with Erdogan and other Turkish leaders in Ankara on Friday.
Israel's prime minister accused his Turkish counterpart on Thursday of making a "dark and false" statement, while the White House also condemned the remarks.
- Heavenly Father, it is like some leaders of nations when speaking about Israel, are acting like bullies in a schoolyard, tossing out any inciting remark they think will hurt and bring forth a reaction that they would use as 'proof' of why their remarks are justified. This time it is due to a flotilla being stopped that was in violation of an agreement and law to protect Israel, yet they pursued it anyway. They did not want to own up to receiving the consequences of some of their violent actions when confronted to leave and now they do bully like name calling. Thankfully Ban Ki-Moon spoke up. Lord, be in the midst of this ongoing squabble, and confront them mightily with the reality and fear of You. Protect Your name Lord!! In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Let all those who hate Zion be put to shame and turned back. (Psalm 129:5)
5. KERRY: TURKISH PM'S ZIONISM QUIP 'OBJECTIONABLE'
ANKARA - US Secretary of State John Kerry said on Friday the United States found a comment by Turkey's prime minister, likening Zionism to crimes against humanity, "objectionable", overshadowing their talks on the crisis in neighboring Syria. Kerry, on his first trip to a Muslim nation since taking office, is meeting Turkish leaders for talks meant to focus on Syria's civil war and bilateral interests from energy security to counter-terrorism.
But the comment by Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan at a UN meeting in Vienna this week, condemned by his Israeli counterpart, the White House and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, has clouded his trip. "We not only disagree with it, we found it objectionable," Kerry told a news conference with Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu, saying he raised the issue directly with Davutoglu and would do so with Erdogan.
"That said, Turkey and Israel are both vital allies of the United States and we want to see them work together in order to be able to go beyond the rhetoric and begin to take concrete steps to change this relationship," Kerry added. Washington needs all the allies it can get as it navigates the political currents of the Middle East, and sees Turkey as the key player in supporting Syria's opposition and planning for the era after President Bashar Assad. But the collapse of Ankara's ties with Israel have undermined US hopes that Turkey could play a role as a broker in the broader region.
"If Israel wants to hear positive statements from Turkey it needs to reconsider its attitude both towards us and towards the West Bank," Davutoglu told the news conference.
- Abba Father, the closely held grudge by Turkey as to the flotilla is very strong and unfortunately is seeping poison into other negotiations that Turkey is attempting. Again we seek Your intervention Lord!! In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- The mouth of the righteous brings forth wisdom, but the perverse tongue will be cut out. (Proverbs 10:31)
6. SYRIAN TANK SHELL LANDS IN GOLAN HEIGHTS
Residents of a town in the Golan Heights reported hearing a loud blast in the area Wednesday [February 27] morning. A 100 mm tank shell fired from Syria was then found near the community.
The mortar landed in an open area and apparently did not explode. Sappers are dismantling it. It was likely the result of a misfire during battles between Syrian rebels and Assad's forces.
"At 10:40 am two residents reported hearing a noise outside the community. They saw smoke and reported it to the army," Golan Regional Council spokeswoman Dalia Amos said. Amos noted that "sometimes we hear echoes of blasts from Syria but today was quiet."
This is not the first time a mortar fired from Syria hit a Golan town. Last November, three Syrian mortar shells exploded inside Israel.
Source (By Yoav Zitun, Ynetnews, February 27, 2013) [Reported by BFP: Bridges for Peace]
- Thank God, no one was injured by the mortar that landed in the Golan. Pray that Israel will have the wisdom of the Lord in their response to any Syrian fighting that may spill over into its borders.
- For the Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright; He is a shield to those who walk uprightly; (Proverbs 2:6-7)
7. SENIOR OFFICER'S VEHICLE HIT BY GUNSHOTS
Several violent incidents took place Friday near the Gaza Strip border fence, including shots fired at an IDF force in the northern Strip, the IDF Spokesperson's Office said in a statement. There were no reports of injuries, but a senior officer's military vehicle sustained damage. Shots were not fired at homes of nearby communities. The statement added that Molotov cocktails and stones were hurled at the soldiers, and that three Palestinians were injured by IDF fire as soldiers attempted to disperse the crowd. On Tuesday morning, a Grad rocket fired from Gaza landed on the outskirts of Ashkelon. No injuries were reported.
The rocket hit a road in the city's industrial zone, causing some damage. This was the first time a rocket was fired at Israel since the conclusion of Operation Pillar of Defense in November. The military campaign ended with an Egyptian-brokered armistice and various understandings between Israel and Hamas, meant to maintain agreement.
The past few weeks have seen acceleration in the indirect talks between Hamas, Egypt and Israel, in an attempt to galvanize the ceasefire agreement.
Several Israeli defense delegations have traveled to Cairo to that effect, while the Egyptians have stepped up their effort to curtail weapons smuggling into Gaza Strip.
- O Lord, violence continues at various Israeli border areas. Sometimes there is no damage, so Thank you Lord Jesus! Other times, such as reported here, there is damage and injuries both from the original action or from the defensive IDF response. How long, Lord, must this go on? Help Israel, we pray, to awaken and unite, drawing close to You, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil. (Isaiah 5:20a)
8. SYRIAN NO-MAN'S LAND BORDERING ISRAEL AND JORDAN IS UP FOR GRABS
The four Syrian mortar shells exploding on the Israeli side of the Golan Saturday, March 2, flashed a signal to Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu that the moment is at hand to step in and decide how to dispose of the expanse of southern Syrian bordering on northern Israel. This urgency sent Defense Minister Ehud Barak flying to Washington Friday March 1, to meet new US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel next Tuesday.
At the top of their agenda for discussion this time will not be Iran but, debkafile's military sources report, the disappearance, except for scattered military units, of Bashar Assad's ruling presence and army from the Syrian areas abutting on Israel and Jordan. The collapse of Assad's defense lines on these two borders generates a new strategic situation of major import.
Most Israelis, including their media, are too deeply engrossed in the ins and outs of Netanyahu's struggle to form a coalition government to notice that a no man's land has opened up on the Syrian Golan, the Horon province (where the Syrian uprising first erupted two years ago), and the Yarmuk River dividing Syria from Jordan. At the same time, the Assad army is all but gone from there and the Syrian rebels are constrained from moving into the abandoned territory by three considerations:
1. They are short of the manpower for seizing and holding it;
2. Their commanders have evidently not caught onto the brilliant international, strategic opportunity waiting to drop in their laps;
3. The Druze community in their mountain fortresses overlooking the territory is poised to prevent any outsider takeover.
Israel is confronted with a choice between leaving the long-menacing areas overlooking the Sea of Galilee and its north-eastern regions to an unknown fate - or asserting control itself.
There is still time to pre-empt developments that would be detrimental to Israel's security.
- Heavenly Father, pour Your will and plans into Israel's leaders as to this Syrian border no man's land situation. Confront them to act for the security of their nation and according to Your will. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- Save Your people, and bless Your inheritance; shepherd them also, and bear them up forever. (Psalm 28:9)
9. ROCKET HITS OUTSKIRTS OF ASHKELON
A Grad rocket fired from Gaza landed on the outskirts of Ashkelon. No injuries were reported. The rocket landed on a road in the city's industrial zone, causing some damage. This was the first time a rocket has been fired from Gaza at Israel since the conclusion of Operation Pillar of Defense in November. The al-Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, Fatah's military wing, have claimed responsibility for the fire. In a statement carried by the Palestinian Maan agency, the Gaza-based terror group said that the fire was its response to the death of Palestinian security prisoner Arafat Jaradat in Megiddo Prison on Saturday [February 23]. "Freedom will be achieved through sacrifice. We must fight the enemy with all means necessary. The resistance will continue," the statement said.
The Color Red alert failed to sound prior to the incident. A military source told Ynet that the system recognized the launched as aimed at an open area, which does not trigger the sirens.
Defense Ministry official Amos Gilad told Ynet that, "Overall, our deterrence in the south is in place and peace is the area has been maintained, thanks to the IDF's successful operation. We do, however, have to remain vigilant to ensure no threat arises. This was a single event, but we have to make sure that peace and quiet are maintained."
Security forces have expressed concern that the growing unrest in the West Bank [Judea and Samaria] may prompt the Gaza terror groups to resume their rocket fire on Israel's south.
Source (By Neri Brenner, Ynetnews, February 26, 2013) [Reported by BFP: Bridges for Peace]
- Thank the Lord for the peace that southern Israel has experienced since the ceasefire. Pray this rocket fire is a one-time event and not an actual escalation in hostilities.
- For You, O Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor You will surround him as with a shield.(Psalm 5:12)
10. ISRAEL MAY LOSE $500 MILLION IN US AID
WASHINGTON - US President Barack Obama emerged Friday from an unsuccessful, last-minute meeting with congressional leaders declaring there was no progress on blocking what he called "dumb and arbitrary" cuts that will begin carving $85 billion of government spending by day's end. The cuts will likely affect American citizens, but also Washington's military aid to Israel. If the crisis is not solved in a compromise reached during the 2013 fiscal year, the Jewish state stands to lose up to $760 million in security aid.
Apart from Iron Dome, the Congress has been working on a special aid package of $268 million for a joint Israeli-American development of Arrow and David's Sling missiles to defend Israel on different levels against ballistic missiles. Out of this sum, $100 million are guaranteed but $168 million are now in danger. Israeli Ambassador to the US Michael Oren told Ynet in response, "As the United States' closest ally in the Middle East, Israel understands the difficult budget challenges the Americans are dealing with.
"We are ready to carry our share of the burden, while trying to maintain the projects which are crucial for Israel's security, like Iron Dome." Obama and congressional Republicans are deeply at odds over how to tackle the country's $16.6 trillion debt, and they have been battling over that issue since the opposition party regained a majority in the House of Representatives more than two years ago. The crude, across-the-board budget reductions were structured to be so unattractive that both sides would be forced to find a better deal. They haven't.
Source: Rapture Ready
- Abba Father, we say 'Enough Lord!'. Cutting costs in the most undesirable ways so one can 'justify' huge tax increases on top of the other tax increases which started the first of this year, along with escalating costs for food, gasoline and utilities plus so many unable to find work, reflects truly irresponsible actions by our elected leaders. Confront them, Lord, and put the fear of You into each and every one of them! We rise up, bind and rebuke the spirits involved in these political games and drive the stake of the cross of Christ into these driving spirits, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- Do not be afraid of sudden terror, nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence, and will keep your foot from being caught. (Proverbs 3:25-26)
More International News
More International News
- 1. IRAQ BOMBINGS KILL AT LEAST FIVE IN DIWANIYA MARKET
- 2. HUNDREDS OF QUAKES SHAKE VILLAGES AROUND PERUVIAN VOLCANO
- 3. U.S. RADAR TO BOOST MISSILE DEFENSE IN JAPAN
- 4. EX-MEMBER: MB HAS SECRET SOCIETIES IN 80 NATIONS, INCLUDING U.S.
- 5. AHMADINEJAD, ZADARI STRESS EXPANSION OF IRAN-PAKISTAN TIES
- U.S. WARNED: AL-QAEDA HIT SQUADS COMING
- ASSAD FORCES FIRE BALLISTIC MISSILES IN ALEPPO; 140 SAID DEAD
- U.S. OK'S DIRECT NON-LETHAL AID TO REBELS
- COVERT AUCTIONS IN EGYPT PUT LIBYAN ARMS INTO HANDS OF TERRORISTS
- WORLD POWERS OFFER TO EASE SANCTONS ON IRAN IN NUCLEAR TALKS
1. IRAQ BOMBINGS KILL AT LEAST FIVE IN DIWANIYA MARKET
At least five people have been killed in a double car bombing at a market in the southern Iraqi city of Diwaniya, officials say. The cars exploded simultaneously at about 07:30 (04:30 GMT), police said. The attack in the mainly Shia city comes amid heightened tensions between Iraq's Sunni and Shia communities.
Although sectarian violence has decreased in Iraq since the height of the insurgency in 2006 and 2007, bombings and shootings are still common. There has been a string of bomb attacks across Iraq in recent months. Sunni insurgents linked to al-Qaeda have been blamed for the rise in violence, although no-one has claimed responsibility for Friday's attack.
It comes a day after at least 22 people were killed in a series of bomb attacks in Shia neighbourhoods of the capital, Baghdad. (BBC)
-"That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive:" ( Ephesians 4:14)
2. HUNDREDS OF QUAKES SHAKE VILLAGES AROUND PERUVIAN VOLCANO
Hundreds of small earthquakes have shaken the earth around the Sabancaya volcano in southern Peru over just a few days and the rumbling, along with plumes of smoke spewing up to 320 feet high, have put officials on alert to evacuate the area. Peru's geological agency Ingemmet recorded some 536 quakes, about 20 an hour, on February 22 and 23 and periodic movement is ongoing.
Thousands of people live in the valleys surrounding the volcano. Some have already started to leave the region because the unusual seismic activity has damaged their homes. About 80 homes were damaged by one temblor on February 22, Peru's national defense office said.
The 20,000-foot (6,000-meter) volcano Sabancaya, which means "tongue of fire" in Quechua, has not had a significant eruption in nearly a decade. It sits atop the South America tectonic plate, which forces magma to the surface when it clashes with the neighboring Nazca plate.(Reuters)
-"I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety." (Psalms 4:8)
3. U.S. RADAR TO BOOST MISSILE DEFENSE IN JAPAN
Tokyo and Washington plan to install a US early-warning radar system at a coastal base near Kyoto to bolster defences against the North Korean missile threat, reports said Sunday. The X-band radar, capable of precisely tracking the trajectory of a ballistic missile, allows US forces to launch intercept missiles from the ground and sea once a ballistic missile has been detected. It will be the second X-band radar system to be installed in Japan after another was set up in northern Aomori prefecture.
The X-band radar system will be built in an Air Self-Defence Force base in Kyotango, northwest of Kyoto, on the coast of the Sea of Japan, or East Sea, Kyodo News and Jiji Press agencies reported, citing unnamed sources. The location was picked as it was likely that a North Korean missile targeting Guam or Hawaii would fly over western or central parts of Japan, Kyodo said. (SpaceDaily.com)
- Praise You, Lord, for this important project which shows cooperation with a valued ally in the Pacific and also shows wisdom in defending our western most territories. Precious Lord, we look to You to defend us from wicked plans of rogue nations. Thank You for being our defender.
-"But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee." (Psalms 5:11)
4. EX-MEMBER: MB HAS SECRET SOCIETIES IN 80 NATIONS, INCLUDING U.S.
A defector has exposed the Muslim Brotherhood's campaign to dominate the Gulf.
Tharwat Al Kherbawy told a conference in Abu Dhabi that the Brotherhood, with headquarters in Egypt, was infiltrating Western and Arab states by recruiting their Muslim citizens. Al Kherbawy said the Brotherhood established secret societies in more than 80 countries, with recruits pledged to violence.
"So these novices are raised on obedience and allegiance to the supreme guide, accepting no criticism of him or his actions," Al Kherbawy told the conference, entitled "Challenges and Threats posed by the Muslim Brotherhood to UAE and Countries of the Region."
"They are taught to regard the movement as their home and that standing to the national anthem of their country is polytheism." (World Tribune)
- "That they shall drive the Brotherhood from men, and their dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field, and they shall make them to eat grass as oxen, and they shall wet you with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over you, till you know that the most High rules in the kingdom of men, and gives it to whomsoever He will." (Daniel 4:25)
5. AHMADINEJAD, ZADARI STRESS EXPANSION OF IRAN-PAKISTAN TIES
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and his Pakistani counterpart Asif Ali Zardari in a meeting laid emphasis on expanding mutual cooperation between the two countries and utilizing their vast capacities in line with the interests of both nations as well as regional nations.
During the meeting in Tehran on Wednesday, the two presidents explored avenues for the further expansion of bilateral relations between Tehran and Islamabad.
President Ahmadinejad pointed to the enemies' efforts to prevent enhancement of ties between Iran and Pakistan, and said, 'Iran and Pakistan have and will stand beside each other with a strategic outlook.'
The Pakistani president, for his part, stressed expansion of brotherly ties between the two countries, and said, "The two countries have mutual trust and consolidated relations today despite the will of all those who intend to ruin Tehran-Islamabad relations and impede our path of cooperation." (The Fars News Agency)
- Father, break this alliance, In Jesus Name! May Iran stand alone in their endeavors. Bring them to their knees. May they submit to Your will and denounce their pride. In Jesus Name.
- These six things doth the Lord hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: 17) A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18) An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, 19) A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.(Proverbs 6:16-19)
6. U.S. WARNED: AL-QAEDA HIT SQUADS COMING
A senior Iranian Revolutionary Guard commander has warned America and Europe that al-Qaida operatives will soon attack them.
And a source in the Islamic regime's Intelligence Ministry told WND that another terror team is about to enter the United States. Should the West not accept Iran's rights to its nuclear program within six months, the terrorists will attack, he said.
The potential targets in the U.S. include high-voltage towers to create blackouts, cell towers, water supplies, public transportation and various buildings belonging to the Defense Department and military.
The source said six U.S. politicians who have promoted tougher measures against the regime are on the hit list, along with such targets as the Washington National Cathedral and Lincoln Memorial in D.C. and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. (WorldNetDaily)
- Father God, we pray that You will pour out Your wrath upon the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, and the Iranian government, and al-Qaida operatives, and bind them by the power of the Blood of Jesus that all of their abilities to attack America and Europe be cast down and made null and void. Render them powerless. In the Name of Jesus we pray.
- "Therefore wait upon Me, says the Lord, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for My determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them mine indignation, even all My fierce anger: for all the earth shall be devoured with the fire of My jealousy." (Zephaniah 3:8)
7. ASSAD FORCES FIRE BALLISTIC MISSILES IN ALEPPO; 140 SAID DEAD
An international human rights organization says the Syrian military fired at least four ballistic missiles into the embattled northern city of Aleppo over the past week, killing more than 140 people, including 70 children.
Human Rights Watch says the attacks by the regime of President Bashar Assad on residential areas of Aleppo mark an "escalation of unlawful attacks against Syria's civilian population."
A researcher with the U.S.-based group, who visited Aleppo last week to inspect the targeted sites, said up to 20 buildings were destroyed in each area hit by a missile. There were no signs of any military targets in the residential districts, located in rebel-held parts of Aleppo, the group said in a report Tuesday.
Aleppo has seen some of the heaviest fighting in Syria's nearly 2-year-old conflict. (Haaretz)
- Father, we ask that You save the soul of Bashar Assad and turn his hardened heart toward the Lord so that God can change him from being a man without a conscience to a man who will rule with godliness. May he repent and ask God to forgive him for his sin of killing innocent children and people in the residential districts, located in the rebel-held parts of Aleppo. May he fight the rebels, not the innocent people. In Jesus' Name.
- "The way of the wicked is an abomination unto the Lord: but He loves him that follows after righteousness." (Proverbs 15:9)
8. U.S. OK'S DIRECT NON-LETHAL AID TO REBELS
The United States, for the first time, will provide food and medical support directly to to anti-government rebels in Syria, Secretary of State John Kerry said. "Working together, we've already been able to do a lot," Kerry said of the international effort to resolve the crisis in Syria, including sanctions against President Bashar Assad's regime, supporting the Syrian Opposition Coalition with training, organization and some communications resources, as well as humanitarian support.
Kerry announced the United States would contribute $60 million directly to rebels fighting against President Bashar Assad's regime. . . He expressed confidence that the money would be delivered "rapidly," noting part of it would be channeled into activities already in progress. Kerry said he would brief Congress as soon as he returns to Washington and would "personally be engaged in that process."
The United States has provided humanitarian supplies, communications equipment and training to Syria's opposition. However, Thursday is the first time Washington said it would work directly with Syria's rebel fighters through the Supreme Military Command attached to the Syrian Opposition Coalition.
The aid falls short of what rebels have requested -- arms. (UPI)
- God, we ask that You would move upon the hearts of these rebels in Syria to have honest hearts that will use the $60 million given them by the United States for humanitarian supplies, communications equipment and training, and not withhold this help from the people in Syria by squandering the money unlawfully. Hold the rebels to honesty by the power of God. We pray in Jesus' Name.
-"You therefore, O Lord God of hosts, the God of Israel, awake to visit all the heathen: be not merciful to any wicked transgressors." (Psalm 59:5)
9. COVERT AUCTIONS IN EGYPT PUT LIBYAN ARMS INTO HANDS OF TERRORISTS
The weapons that helped Libyan rebels oust dictator Muammar Qaddafi are turning up for sale at clandestine auctions in Egypt's lawless Sinai Desert, where shadowy buyers purchase firearms for Al Qaeda and Hamas operatives, sources told FoxNews.com.
The illicit sales take place in the barren Sinai peninsula, where Moses is believed to have wandered with the children of Israel for 40 years. Auctions announced through the grapevine bring caravans of foreigners, all with huge sums of money at their disposal and all with the same mission, Israel Defense Force sources told FoxNews.com.
The vast and rugged desert area inhabited by an estimated 250,000 Bedouins has borders with Egypt, Gaza and Israel, as well as a long coastline on the Red Sea. While the location makes it easy for buyers to come from various regions, it also combines with the impromptu nature of the auctions to make them almost impossible to stop.
"There are more and more contacts between Al Qaeda and the small groups in Sinai," a senior source in the Israel Defense Force told the Washington-based Investigative Project on Terrorism. (Fox News)
- Lord, all things are possible for you. We pray You stop the sale of these weapons that would be used to harm Israel. Confuse this operation, In Jesus Name. Lord God, we ask that You would give divine gifts to the Israel Defense Force that will enable them in miraculous ways to be able to track the clandestine auctions in Egypt's lawless Sinai Desert where shadowy buyers purchase firearms for al Qaeda and Hamas operatives. Do a marvelous work, Father God, and show the IDF exactly how to crack open this pipeline which sells firearms to these terrorists so that it be stopped and completely locked down and destroyed. In the Name of Jesus we pray.
- "I am the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt: open your mouth wide, and I will fill it." (Psalm 81:10)
10. WORLD POWERS OFFER TO EASE SANCTONS ON IRAN IN NUCLEAR TALKS
World powers presented Iran with an updated offer during negotiations on its nuclear program in Almaty on Tuesday, and hope for "more detailed feedback" from the Iranian side when talks resume as scheduled on Wednesday, an EU spokesman said.
"We had a useful meeting today," Michael Mann, spokesman for European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, told reporters after the first day of the talks.
"Hopefully the Iranians will be able to reflect overnight and will come back and view our proposal positively," he said, declining to give details of the powers' proposal.
Western officials have said it includes an offer to ease sanctions on trade in gold and other precious metals if Iran agrees to halt its most sensitive nuclear activity, which the West suspects has a military dimension - something Iran denies.
Mann said the proposal by the six powers - the United States, Russia, China, France, Britain and Germany - had been discussed during Tuesday's talks, but he did not elaborate.
"The proposal was set out in a relatively clear fashion," he said. "The Iranians went away to consider our proposal (and) there were further discussions in the course of the afternoon and the evening ... the ball is in their court."
The talks in Kazakhstan were the first in eight months between Iran and the five permanent members of the U.N. Security Council plus Germany - the "P5+1" - on a decade-old dispute that threatens to trigger another war in the Middle East.
Iran has used the time since the last meeting in June to further expand activity that the West suspects is aimed at enabling it to build a nuclear bomb, something that Israel has suggested it will prevent by force if diplomacy fails. (Haaretz)
- Lord, give wisdom in these talks. Iran is not to be trusted. They are deceptive and destructive. May these world leaders have their eyes open, and not be deceived.
- The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?(Jeremiah 17:9)
- DHS RELEASES HUNDREDS OF ILLEGALS - BLAMES SEQUESTRATION
- THE RIGHT OF OBAMA TO ASSASSINATE CITIZENS ON U.S. SOIL?
- OBAMA'S LOST LEVERAGE
- THE TRUE NATIONAL DEBT
- AMERICANS ANXIOUS ABOUT RETIREMENT
- JOE DOE LOSES FIGHT WITH TEN COMMANDMENTS
- IRS SET TO COLLECT BILLIONS FROM INSURERS UNDER OBAMACARE
- WEB ANONYMITY BATTLE STARTS ANEW
- U.S. AND ISRAEL SUCCESSFUL TEST OF ANTI-MISSILE SYSTEM
- HOLOCAUST JUST GOT MORE SHOCKING
1. DHS RELEASES HUNDREDS OF ILLEGALS - BLAMES SEQUESTRATION
The Obama Department of Homeland Security, in a move to put pressure on Republicans to act on sequestration, has started to release hundreds of illegal immigrants that have been held in local jails, as they anticipate "budget cuts." Not only is this action politically motivated, but it's dangerous as well.
As I've told you before sequestration is not about real cuts. DHS will continue to see an escalation in their budget, it just won't be what they were anticipating.
According to Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu, Immigration and Customs Enforcement released more than 500 detainees in his county over the weekend. His spokesman said that ICE officials plan to release a total of nearly 10,000 illegal immigrants. (Freedom Outpost)
- Heavenly Father, we ask that You would intervene on behalf of all Americans in protecting the safety and integrity of the United States from the dangerous acts of ill advised political maneuvers to gain greater power over its citizens. This administration has proven once again that it is not interested in the welfare of this nation, but is very interested in destroying the fabric of U.S. stability.
- "My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence. 4 I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies." (2 Samuel 22:3-4)
2. THE RIGHT OF OBAMA TO ASSASSINATE CITIZENS ON U.S. SOIL?
Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) continually pressed Obama nominee for Central Intelligence Agency Director John Brennan to see if he believed the Federal government has the authority to assassinate American citizens on U.S. soil for simply being suspected of terrorist involvement. His answers were evasive and failed to answer anything. In fact, any Americans awake would have to conclude that the current administration, by being evasive in its answers, does think it has the authority to assassinate citizens on U.S. soil. If not then let them be transparent about it.
The former Obama assassination czar was pressed by Senator Paul on several occasions to answer if he believed the Constitution gave the government that kind of authority. Freedom Outpost)
- Heavenly Father, give wisdom to those who have righteous voices to speak godly policies into the governing bodies of this nation.
- "For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: 'He catches the wise in their craftiness.'" (1 Corinthians 3:19)
3. OBAMA'S LOST LEVERAGE
Obama spoke to the media after meeting with congressional leaders at the White House March 1. He said he wouldn't risk a government shutdown by demanding a sequester fix in the continuing resolution needed to fund the government past the end of March.
It wasn't supposed to be like this for the White House and a re-elected president with political capital to spend. But so far it's not working out as the West Wing planned.
Obama held out hope that the GOP might yet yield following a face-to-face meeting with congressional leaders that accomplished nothing. He said he understands that Speaker John A. Boehner of Ohio has strong opposition in his conference to allowing any more revenue now.
"My hope is that they can do it later," after the effects of the sequester kick in across the country, the president said. But Obama gave away the one big legislative stick he has in his arsenal. He said he wouldn't risk a government shutdown by demanding a sequester fix in the continuing resolution needed to fund the government past March 27.
"I think it's the right thing to do to make sure that we don't have a government shutdown," he said on March 1. The White House had been quietly signaling to its Democratic allies on the Hill that Obama would not threaten a veto out of fear the public would blame Democrats for the shutdown. But the decision only underscored what many Hill Democrats believe was a major negotiating error by the White House and Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. in the fiscal-cliff deal. (Roll Call)
- Give thanks to the Lord for exposing evil and delivering justice to the oppressor. Thank our Lord that, as in the days of Pharoah, the righteous ways of God will overcome the schemes of the unrighteous.
"For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: 'He catches the wise in their craftiness.'" (1 Corinthians 3:19)
4. THE TRUE NATIONAL DEBT
How big is the national debt?
You'd think this would be an easy question. Surely we know how much the government owes. Unfortunately, it's not that simple. The true national debt could be triple the conventional estimate, anywhere from $11 trillion to $31 trillion by my reckoning. The differences mostly reflect explicit and implicit "off - budget " federal loan guarantees. In another economic downturn, these could result in large losses that would be brought "on budget" and worsen already huge deficits. That's the danger.
My purpose is not to scare or sensationalize. It's simply to illuminate the problem. Broadly conceived, the national debt covers all debts for which the federal government assumes final responsibility. For politicians, the appeal of "off - budget" programs is that they allow the pleasure of spending without the pain of taxing. But they also create massive exposure for government. (Washington Post)
- Because our national debt is such a complex issue, it requires God's infinite wisdom to grasp the magnitude of our problem and God's wisdom to develop a plan to bring it all back into balance. Pray that our financial leaders will seek God's wisdom in finding a solution. Future generations of Americans are threatened with a debt that cannot be withstood if they follow paths that we have taken in the past.
- "Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding, for the gain from her is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold. She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace . . .." (Proverbs 3:13-18)
5. AMERICANS ANXIOUS ABOUT RETIREMENT
A poll, to be released by the National Institute on Retirement Security (NIRS) at a conference on Tuesday, found that 55 percent of Americans are "very concerned" that the current economic conditions are harming their retirement prospects. An additional 30 percent reported being "somewhat concerned" about their ability to retire. Reports show mobile connections reaching 7.4 billion this year, while world population sits at 7.1 billion.
The level of anxiety Americans feel about their preparation for retirement has continued to peak in the recession's aftermath, a finding that the poll's sponsors said highlights the need for policymakers to bolster the nation's retirement programs. "People are anxious about retirement. We know that," said Diane Oakley, preside nt of NIRS, a Washington - based nonprofit organization. "The question is, how do you get people to act on that?"
As aging Americans are increasingly burdened by debt, spiraling health - care costs and diminishing pension coverage, an increasing number of researchers argue that a long era of improved living standards for the elderly is now in jeopardy. (Washington Post)
- Pray that Americans will put their trust in the Lord as the economic situation in America unfolds. The Lord is the supplier of all our needs. Jesus tells us to "consider the lilies of the field."
- "Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these." (Luke 12:27)
6. JOE DOE LOSES FIGHT WITH TEN COMMANDMENTS
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has lost its six-year campaign to tear down a Ten Commandments monument at the Dixie County, Florida, courthouse .
They've even lost their usual extortion money for harassing a community. The case fell apart after the plaintiff, an anonymous North Carolina man who had planned to come to Dixie County to live in his RV, decided not to move there after all.
Senior U.S. District Judge Maurice M. Paul dismissed the case without prejudice on Feb. 13, because the plaintiff lacked standing. The ACLU could re-file if an actual resident is willing to buck the strong tide of sentiment in the county. For now, Mr. "Heel on Wheels" [not his actual nickname] has sunk the ship.
In February 2007, the ACLU filed a lawsuit naming "John Doe" as the plaintiff. Judge Paul ruled in 2011 that the monument was an establishment of religion, and awarded $130,000 in legal fees to the ACLU, which had tried to finger the taxpayers for $160,000. He then stayed his order, and was reversed by the 11th Circuit. When the plaintiff pulled out, it blew up the whole thing, including the ACLU's award of legal fees.
Harry Mihet, an attorney at Liberty Counsel, which represented Dixie County, found the outcome pleasing:
"We went from an order that 'the monument goes and you have to pay $130,000 to the ACLU,' to 'the monument stays, and the ACLU has to pay a total of $3,600,'" Mr. Mihet told me. (Washington Times)
- Give thanks to the Lord for giving wisdom to the righteous judicial system that honored the freedom of religion and freedom of expression in this six-year battle for justice. Give thanks to the Lord that He frustrates the plans of those who oppose His honor and glory.
- "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.'" (Romans 14:11)
7. IRS READY TO COLLECT BILLIONS FROM INSURERS UNDER OBAMACARE
The Internal Revenue Service released its proposal Friday to garner billions of dollars through annual fees on health insurers as part of the Affordable Care Act. Industry groups are quite upset, arguing that the fees will be passed along to consumers, The Hill reports.
The fees, to be collected from most insurers, would register $8 billion next year and rise every year afterward, breaking $14 billion in 2018, according to the IRS. The amount of the fees would depend on an insurer's net premiums.
America's Health Insurance Plans (AHIP), one of the industry's top trade groups, lambasted the proposal, estimating it would cost insurers more than $100 billion over the next 10 years and hurt consumers.
AHIP estimates that the fee would help push up the average family's health insurance bill by $300 next year and more than $500 in following years. (News Max)
- Heavenly Father, we ask that You would deliver us from the bonds of the oppressor. You are the one who is our righteous deliverer from the bonds of slavery to government oppression in the form of taxes in order to slaughter the innocent through abortion, against our will and against Your will. We ask that You would come down from heaven and bring the fear of God into the hearts of those who are enforcing this wicked law. May they then know Your wisdom, repent, and find You as Lord and Savior . . . and annul this law. In Your Name, amen.
- "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding." (Proverbs 9:10)
8. WEB ANONYMITY BATTLE STARTS ANEW
One of the Internet's founding fathers is set this week to revive a heated cybersecurity debate over whether to preserve anonymity and the use of pseudonyms in online chat forums and social networks like Twitter. Vint Cerf, Google's chief Internet evangelist, is expected to make the case for keeping people's identity anonymous - particularly on certain Web services - when he delivers the keynote address at the RSA cybersecurity conference here on Wednesday.
Tension over the issue has been building for years between free speech advocates and those who say tougher steps are needed to boost cybersecurity on the Internet.
The debate arrived on the international stage last December at a United Nations conference in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, where some countries floated proposals to ban Internet anonymity for a global telecommunications treaty.
"The ability to speak anonymously [online] is critical to the ability to speak freely, to speak on the matters of public policy," said Harold Feld, senior vice president of consumer interest group Public Knowledge and a former member of the U.S. delegation during the U.N. conference. (The Hill) [Posted last Tuesday, Feb. 26]
- Heavenly Father, You are the Creator and we know that it is Your desire to see men live in freedom. There are those who would like to suppress truth and strengthen oppressiveness. Deliver us Lord.
- "And since we have the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, "I believed and therefore I spoke," we also believe and therefore speak," (2 Corinthians 4:13)
9. U.S. AND ISRAEL SUCCESSFUL TEST OF ANTI-MISSILE SYSTEM
Israel's Defense Ministry said it was the first flight test of the Arrow 3 interceptor. It was conducted at an Israeli test range over the Mediterranean Sea. The system is about three years away from becoming operational. "The Arrow 3 interceptor was successfully launched and flew an exo-atmospheric trajectory through space, in accordance with the test plan," it said in a statement. "The successful test is a major milestone in the development of the Arrow 3 weapon system and provides further confidence in future Israeli defense capabilities to defeat the developing ballistic missile threat." (Associated Press, Fox News)
- Offer thanks to the Lord that the U.S. and Israel are developing ways to defend against enemy weapons of mass destruction. Give thanks that the weapons systems that have already been put in place have been effective in stopping many missile strikes into Israel in recent months! Pray for an even greater umbrella of protection from various threats to be developed by the U.S. and Israel working together. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem.
- "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: 'May those who love you be secure.'" (Psalm 122:6)
10. U.S. HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL MUSEUM: HOLOCAUST JUST GOT MORE SHOCKING
Thirteen years ago, researchers at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum began the grim task of documenting all the ghettos, slave labor sites, concentration camps and killing factories that the Nazis set up throughout Europe.
What they have found so far has shocked even scholars steeped in the history of the Holocaust.
The researchers have cataloged some 42,500 Nazi ghettos and camps throughout Europe, spanning German-controlled areas from France to Russia and Germany itself, during Hitler's reign of brutality from 1933 to 1945.
The figure is so staggering that even fellow Holocaust scholars had to make sure they had heard it correctly when the lead researchers previewed their findings at an academic forum in late January at the German Historical Institute in Washington. (New York Times)
- Heavenly Father, we thank You that more of the truth regarding the holocaust of World war 2 is coming forth and that healing will come forth as a result of bringing the darkness into the light. We say: NEVER AGAIN!
- "For God, who said, 'Let light shine out of darkness,' made His light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." (2 Corinthians 4:6-7)
Thought for the Week
Thought for the Week
A fault which humbles a man is of more use to him than a good action
which puffs him up.
-- Thomas Wilson
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
"The LORD is king forever and ever; the nations will perish from his land. "(Psalm 10:16)
It is good to know that there is no other king higher than our King. In the daily battles of life, if we know the King, we will have victory.
O Lord, how I thank You that I need to never worry about the battles in my life, for You will gain the victory. How blessed I am to be a King's kid!
( Source: THE NAME- HaShem: Daily Devotional Worship by Dr. Barri Cae Mallin)