Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Tuesday, March 12, 2013
"The LORD gives strength to his people; the LORD blesses his people with peace." (Psalm 29:11)
The Daily Brief
1. The World Waits: Black Smoke From Vatican Signals No New Pope Yet
- Fox News
A plume of black smoke billowed from the Vatican on Tuesday, indicating cardinals have not yet chosen a successor for Pope Benedict XVI on the first day of conclave. The cardinals now return to the Vatican's Santa Marta hotel for the night. They return to the Apostolic Palace for Mass Wednesday morning and a new round of voting.
Beginning Wednesday, the cardinals will cast four ballots a day - twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon. Earlier Tuesday, the 115 cardinals tasked with electing a new pope were locked in the Sistine Chapel, marking the start of conclave.
- Father God, we repent that millions of people on earth now look to the Pope for direction in their lives, while Your Word clearly states that You are the King of the Nations. We lift up the 115 cardinals, who are now gathered inside the Vatican and tasked with choosing their next leader, that they be granted Your wisdom in doing so. We ask, though, for the millions of peoples who follow this religion, that they be made to understand that You, and You alone, are the source of all wisdom in life. In Jesus Name we ask this prayer, amen.
- "Who would not fear You, O King of the nations? For this is Your rightful due. For among all the wise men of the nations, And in all their kingdoms, There is none like You." (Jer. 10:7)
2. Peres: Two States Solution agreed beginning for peace - Ynet News
President Shimon Peres has commented on the peace process in his speech before the European Parliament plenum: " The peace process with the Palestinians already has an agreed beginning and an agreed solution. Two states for two nations. An Arab state - Palestine. A Jewish state - Israel - living in peace . . .
- Any words spoken by President Shimon Peres must be taken with a large grain of salt. Stand in the gap for the Israeli administration, and pray that they speak with one voice when Mr. Obama visits there next week. Pray!
- "All you need to say is simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." (Matthew 5:37)
3. Bolton: Israel has 'very short period of time' to strike Iran.
Warns Tehran will soon possess nukes beyond Jewish state's reach - WND
"Obviously in the short term Israel is focused on forming its own government," stated Bolton. "But I think assuming it's Prime Minister Netanyahu forming that government he has a very short period of time in which to determine whether Israel will use military force knowing that the United States will not or whether Israel is prepared to allow Iran to get to the point where it has nuclear weapons."
- The former Ambassador to the United Nations is speaking words of truth. Ask that our nation continue to stand with Israel in an unshakeable alliance -- no matter what. Ask our Lord to send His angels to dismantle and disarm any nuclear weapons that may be in Iran's possession. Pray!
- "And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross." (Colossians 2:15)
4. US, UK Training Syrian Rebel Forces for Eventual Takeover - Front Page Magazine
As expected the Brits are the first to pull the trigger on this, both in providing the training and being willing to talk about it. That was the way it was in Libya, with the US government never getting around to admitting what was really going on, while the British defense (or defense) chief openly talked about taking out Gaddafi.
- Lord, we pray for repentence of the deception for those who have done wrong, and for Your forgiveness and wisdom for them in the days ahead. We pray they would know the difference between right and wrong and do what is necessary to correct wrongs. Lord, what has been done in Libya is a mess and resulted in the killing of four Americans including the U.S. Ambassador, as You well know. Lord, there are many hearts that hurt because of what has been done and the lies and deception. We pray for Your will to be done in Libya and for the people who are victims of wrong decisions. Let righteousness and truth come forth in and about Libya. And we ask that these mistakes not be repeated now in Syria. In the name of Jesus, who gives forgiveness and redemption, we pray. Amen.
- "The thoughts of the righteous are right, but the counsels of the wicked are deceitful. The words of the wicked are, 'lie in wait for blood,' but the mouth of the righteous will deliver them." (Proverbs 12:5-6)
5. Another senator warns of gun confiscation - WND
A ban on assault weapons will lead to "gun confiscation," Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, today warned the Senate Judiciary Committee reviewing S. 150, the proposed "Assault Weapons Ban." With his opening statement, Grassley said that despite banning "assault weapons," mass shootings will continue and "criminals will continue to circumvent" the law.
- Offer praise for another strong voice being raised in the United States Senate, defending our right to bear arms. Senator Grassley has clearly outlined the deception in the argument that the confiscation of these arms would enhance the safety of our citizens. Instead, the exact opposite is true. Pray that, when the time comes to vote on a number of "gun control" bills now in Congress, all members would heed this wisdom and vote accordingly. Pray, too, that more voices would be raised to support this senator's position. Praise God!
- "These are the things you shall do: Speak each man the truth to his neighbor; Give judgment in your gates for truth, justice, and peace . . ." (Zech. 8:16)
6. We found the Ammo and the Armored Vehicles at Homeland - One News Now
Add to this perplexing outré purchase of ammo, DHS now is showing off its acquisition of heavily armored personnel carriers, repatriated from the Iraqi and Afghani theaters of operation. As observed by "paramilblogger" Ken Jorgustin last September: [T]he Department of Homeland Security is apparently taking delivery (apparently through the Marine Corps Systems Command, Quantico VA, via the manufacturer - Navistar Defense LLC) of an undetermined number of the recently retrofitted 2,717 'Mine Resistant Protected' MaxxPro MRAP vehicles for service on the streets of theUnited States." These MRAP's ARE BEING SEEN ON U.S. STREETS all across America by verified observers with photos, videos, and descriptions."
- Reports like these can be very frightening, until we look up and behold our God. Remember the Red Sea? The Israelites were totally out of options -- but God! Remember the words of Moses to his people at the Red Sea, and stand . . . pray . . . believe. Amen!
- Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. (Exodus 14:13)
7. New wave of 'superbugs' poses dire threat, says chief medical officer - UK Guardian
Antibiotic-resistant bacteria with the potential to cause untreatable infections pose "a catastrophic threat" to the population, the chief medical officer for Britain warns in a report calling for urgent action worldwide.
- Lord, we know from Your word that in the last days there will be pestilences. We also know that You can cure any diseases. Lord, what is impossible for man is possible with You. We do pray for a protection from any "superbugs" for Your people and that others will call on You for help. In the name of Jesus, our Healer, we pray. Amen.
- "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom aginst kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places." (Matthew 24:7)
8. Three 'near' misses in one weekend - TimesLive.com
Two other small asteroids, both about the size of the Russian meteor, were in Earth's neighbourhood at the weekend. Asteroid 2013 EC 20 passed just 4828km away on Saturday, said Cox. Yesterday, Asteroid 2013 EN 20 flew about 449007km away from Earth. "We know the solar system is a busy place," said Cox. "We're not sitting here on our pale-blue dot on our own in nice safety . This should be a wake-up call to governments."
- How many wake up calls do we need? Pray that the media will not quelch these reports, but will instead let our people know what is happening now in the heavens. Jesus is coming soon. Are you ready to meet your Maker?
- "Repent, for the kingdom of God is at hand." (Matthew 3:2)
9. California earthquake: Aftershocks continue for second day - LA Times
A magnitude-4.7 earthquake in Riverside County continued to produce aftershocks for a second day. There were more than a dozen small aftershocks Tuesday morning, after more than 150 on Monday. All were small and probably not felt by residents in the Anza area.
- Pray for supernatural safety for the residents of the State of California. May each one come to know his or her Creator in this time of shaking. Amen.
- "Ah, Sovereign LORD, you have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you." (Jer. 32:17)
10. CDC Warns Of SARS-Related Virus From Middle East - CBS
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a new warning to state and local health officials about a virus that is related to Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and appeared for the first time in September 2012.
- Lord, we speak to the breath of God, O breath, come into people that they may live. Breathe life by the wind of Your Holy Spirit into their bodies, souls, and spirit that they may know by whom they are given life and become overcomers. In the name of Jesus, the Way, the Truth, and the Life we pray. Amen.
"Also He said to me, 'Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath. Thus says the Lord God; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live.'" (Ezekiel 37:9)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"He is able also to save to the uttermost those who come unto God by Him, since He ever lives to make intercession for them." (Hebrews 7:22-25) (Isaiah 48:11)
1. Gantz says Lebanon will pay if Hezbollah attacks - Times of Israel
Israel will respond to an attack from Hezbollah by striking Lebanese infrastructure, IDF Chief of General Staff Benny Gantz said on Monday evening in a sharply worded warning to the Shiite group sitting on Israels northern border.
2. Fewer ministers, and maybe no Kadima, in next coalition - Times of Israel
Likud-Beytenu, Yesh Atid and Jewish Home party leaders were to meet again late Monday evening to try to finalize coalition terms, with all sides indicating that a deal was near but that relatively minor differences still had to be resolved.
3. Bolton: Israel has 'very short period of time' to strike Iran - Klein Online
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has a "very short period of time" to decide whether to strike Iran's nuclear infrastructure before Tehran possesses nuclear weapons, warned former United Nations Ambassador John Bolton in a radio interview last night.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand." (John 10:28)
1. The Anatomy of an Attack on Christians in Pakistan - Time World
A Pakistani Christian woman holding her son stands among the rubble of their home damaged by an angry Muslim mob in Lahore, Pakistan, on March 10, 2013.
Did the attack occur just because he and his neighbors are Christians? Kala Jee Allah Ditta is crouching on the remains of his home in the Pakistani community of Badami Bagh, near Lahore's landmark railway station. All that remains of the boundary wall is a jagged edge at each end. Broken masonry is strewn around him, along with broken doors and crumpled sheets of metal. The small, three-room home he shared with six other relatives is deeply charred. The flames melted the blades of the ceiling fan, leaving the mounting device dangling awkwardly on its own. Below, broken bits of cups and plates are strewn across the floor. In a corner, a faint curl of smoke still rises from a pile of broken wood.
2. Nigerian Police Under-Report Number of Christians Murdered by Boko Haram - spyghana
Information reaching 247ureports.com indicates that the Sunday attack at Dakata and Hotoro quarters in Kano metropolis has resulted in two more deaths. The death toll rose from three  to five .
The attack had occurred through the actions of Jihadists who drove in a tricycle armed with machine guns. They opened fire on residents at the two areas - killing three on the spot - while many more sustained injuries.
According to the Chairman of the Kano Chapter of Christian Association of Nigeria [CAN], Bishop Ransom Bello, the two latest victims were blood brothers of same parents. "The parents of the slain victims have officially communicated report of the attack to CAN secretariat in Kano".
The victims were returning home from Sunday service at the ECWA church, Dakata when the Jihadist gun men struck. According to the CAN State Chairman, the attacks came two weeks after 13 Christians were gun down in Sheka, Sharada Phase 3 in Kumbotso Local Government Area.
3. Islamic Terrorists Release Video of Murdered Foreign Christians in Nigeria - Premium Times
An insurgent group, Ansaru, has again uploaded a video on the internet to prove it killed the seven foreign workers of Setraco Construction Company in Bauchi, last month.
Reuters, Monday, reported that the group issued a statement in Arabic and English on an affiliate of the Sinam al-Islam network accompanied by screen shots of a video purporting to show the dead hostages.
Ansaru, which kidnapped other foreigners in the past, had blasted into a compound in Jama'are, Bauchi State, using explosives and abducted a Briton, an Italian, a Greek and four Lebanese workers.
The Madison Report
The Madison Report
Team Madison -
I hope you are as encouraged by the message coming from conservatives in Washington, DC the last few days. From Senator Rand Paul's filibuster to Senator Ted Cruz's stand against ObamaCare to Congressman Matt Salmon's op-ed yesterday (It's Time To Break Some Rules In Congress), the message is clear: it's time to fight.
I don't know if you are like me, but sometimes doubt creeps in as I think, "Are we moving the dial? Are we turning this country around?"
I can tell you that we are. As I said last week, we have almost come to expect elected officials to break their campaign promises. What's so refreshing about Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Mike Lee is they are fulfilling their campaign pledges and as they are doing so, they are establishing a beachhead in Washington. It's our job to send reinforcements. Which is why Daniel and I are so excited about some of the folks we are interviewing right now for possible endorsements in 2014 and our 14 in 2014 game plan.
As Congress is in session this week, it's time for another Madisonian. This week it is The Madisonian, Issue #35 [see below] and in it we highlight the CR and budget fights. Please read it and pass it along to friends and family!
The Madison Project
The Legislative Bulletin for Conservatives
The week of March 11 - March 15
Fellow conservative patriots, This is budget week in Washington. The Senate will consider the CR to fund government for the current fiscal year. The House will unveil its new budget for the next fiscal year. We will hear a lot of big numbers thrown around and talk about Medicare reform throughout the week. None of this makes a difference unless we are willing to force a fight over Obamacare on a CR or debt limit bill.
The Honorable Jim Ryun
Chairman of the Madison Project
On Thursday, the House will take up the Supporting Knowledge and Investing in Lifelong Skills (SKILLS) Act [H.R. 803], which would combine 35 job training programs into one program. While this is certainly a worthy start, it represents another pale pastel alternative from the GOP. We spend a whopping $18 billion on job training programs that have not worked and are not within the purview of the federal government. While this bill will make the job training program run more efficiently, it will not significantly downsize government or cut spending. We need to work towards complete elimination of these "feel good" programs that are wasteful and unconstitutional.
Ryan's New Balanced Budget
Ryan's New Balanced Budget
Today, House Budget Committee Chairman Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) unveiled his revised proposal to balance the budget in 10 years. Writing in the Wall Street Journal, Rep. Ryan explains how it's done:
"On the current path, spending will increase by 5% each year. Under our proposal, it will increase by 3.4%. Because the U.S. economy will grow faster than spending, the budget will balance by 2023, and debt held by the public will drop to just over half the size of the economy."
Sounds simple enough, right? If Washington were functioning normally, the House and Senate would pass their respective plans and work out their differences in a conference committee. But Washington is not functioning normally, and the differences between the House and the Senate are tremendous.
For example, Rep. Ryan's budget proposal last year balanced in 23 years. It went nowhere then because the majority in the Senate and the occupant of the Oval Office believed that even taking 23 years to get to balance was too onerous. In addition, Ryan's budget effectively repeals Obamacare.
Not surprisingly, Senate Democrats have already declared Ryan's plan dead on arrival. They are working on their own budget that reportedly seeks at least $1 trillion in new taxes. Such a plan would be dead on arrival in the House. So the budget stalemate that has prevailed in Washington for the past three years seems likely to continue. (Gary Bauer)
Islamists Welcome, American Kids Not
Islamists Welcome, American Kids Not
Yesterday President Obama met with the leaders of ten Arab and Muslim organizations, seeking their input as he prepares to visit the Middle East. Among the organizations represented at the meeting were the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee (ADC) and the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC). Both of these groups have defended terrorist organizations such as Hamas and Hezbollah.
In addition, the ADC honored "the great Helen Thomas" AFTER her anti-Semitic rant against Israel ended her career in journalism.
The idea that these groups are ushered into the Roosevelt Room for personal time with Obama while taxpaying tourists and schoolchildren can't get in the door for a tour is infuriating!
By the way, you may remember this relatively famous photo of an Arab journalist clutching the body of his 11 month-old son, allegedly killed by an Israeli air strike last year. Embraced by the left-wing media for its powerful imagery, the photo went viral as Israel's enemies accused it of indiscriminately killing innocent civilians.
Many at the time were skeptical, claiming that the evidence did not indicate an Israeli strike. Now a new U.N. report confirms that the baby was killed by a Hamas rocket.
Referring to a fraudulent case accusing white college athletes of racism, one liberal journalist quipped, "The narrative was right, even if the facts were wrong." To the left-wing media, the narrative of the photo was right, even if the facts were not. It will be interesting to see how many media outlets report the truth, but I suspect they will be unwilling to acknowledge their own anti-Israel bias. (Gary Bauer)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
Former U.S. Senator Files Lawsuit Against Obama Administration
A former U.S. Senator who co-owns a Colorado mortgage banking company filed a lawsuit Tuesday against the Obama administration's mandate requiring his company to offer potential abortion-inducing drugs under its employee health plans.
Bill Armstrong and members of his family filed the suit along with the May family, who co-own Cherry Creek Mortgage Company. Based in Greenwood Village, the business is licensed in 27 states and employs 730 people. Its owners, who are all evangelical Christians, oppose the mandate.
"Americans should be free to honor God and live according to their consciences in their homes, churches and businesses," said Michael J. Norton, senior counsel with Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF), representing Cherry Creek Mortgage. "Senator Armstrong believed in that constitutional principle when he served in the U.S. Senate, and believes in that principle today." (CitizenLink)
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are!
Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
What A Friend We Have In Jesus
What a friend we have in Jesus,
all our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry
everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
all because we do not carry
everything to God in prayer.