Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, December 19, 2012
"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." (Psalm 147:3)
The Daily Brief
1. Russia sends warships for possible Syria evacuation - Interfax News
Russia has sent warships to the Mediterranean Sea in case it has to evacuate Russian citizens from Syria, Interfax news agency quoted an unnamed naval source as saying on Tuesday. A group of two assault ships, a tanker and an escort vessel left a Baltic port on Monday, the source said. "They are heading to the Syrian coast to assist in a possible evacuation of Russian citizens ... Preparations for the deployment were carried out in a hurry and were heavily classified," the source was quoted as saying.
- Our Omniscient God, You know all that is transpiring, and we ask that You would reveal to our leaders and the world why this is taking place. We speak protection over those in danger and ask that You would somehow work out a plan to bring peace into the area. Father, we ask that little Israel would be protected and have plenty of warning if a hostile action is about to take place.
-"Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep." (Psalms 121:4)
2. Hagel nomination irks pro-Israel conservatives - Ynet News
The possible nomination of Chuck Hagel as the US secretary of defense is sparking criticism among pro-Israel conservatives. The former Nebraska senator and Vietnam veteran is considered the frontrunner to replace Leon Panetta and has been known to criticize Israel and the pro-Israel lobby in the US.
- Dear Lord, we come to You with concerns about the intentions of this nominee toward Israel and her welfare. We pray that no one is sworn into this office who does not have a genuine concern for Israel as the country founded by You, and the only real free country in the area - and our traditional ally. Thank you, Father, for watching over this situation.
-"For the vineyard of the Lord of hosts is the house of Israel and the men of Judah his pleasant plant:" (Isaiah 5:7)
3. Former Supreme Court Nominee Robert Bork Dies - Fox News
Robert Bork, a former solicitor general whose nomination for Supreme Court in 1987 by then-President Ronald Reagan was rejected by the Senate, has died at 84, Fox News confirms.
- Father, we pray comfort for Robert Bork's family. May they find Your peace during this time of grief. In Jesus Name.
- The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace. (Numbers 6:24-26)
4. Newtown buries school massacre dead - The Australian
Funerals have begun in the little Connecticut town of Newtown after the school massacre that took the lives of 20 small children and six staff. The first burials, held under raw, wet skies, were of two six-year-old boys among those shot in Sandy Hook Elementary School.
- Father, we look to You in a time of incomprehensible tragedy such as this. We thank You for the outpouring of sympathy and comfort from various areas of the world such as Israel where they know too well what it is to lose children to violence. We ask that You would be a comfort to the grieving families, and that healing will come because You are able to heal all wounds. Thank You, Lord, for Your strong Presence in this community and in our country at this time.
-"This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me." (Psalms 119:50) "The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart;"(Psalms 34:18a)
5. Fear of being committed may have caused Connecticut gunman to snap - Fox News
NEWTOWN, Conn. - The gunman who slaughtered 20 children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school may have snapped because his mother was planning to commit him to a psychiatric facility, according to a lifelong resident of the area who was familiar with the killer's family and several of the victims' families. Read more
- Father, these details reveal the stress the mother was under. What a tragedy! We cover the many children who are experiencing these disorders in their lives with prayer, and the blood of Jesus. May they find peace and the help they need to function in society. We continue to lift up all the families who have lost loved ones from this tragedy. We pray mercy and grace over each one.
- Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; (2 Corinthians 1:3)(KJV)
6. Obama to Announce Gun Control Task Force - Fox News
President Obama will announce later this morning the creation of a gun control task force led by Vice President Joe Biden to recommend new policies aimed at preventing another school shooting.
- Father, we pray Your leading and direction over this special task force. We pray creative ideas emerge from this committee to protect individual rights, and at the same time prevent these violent attacks from occurring in the future.
- A man's mind plans his way . . . but the Lord directs his steps (Proverbs 16:9)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Not unto us, O LORD, not unto us, but unto Your name give glory, for Your mercy, and for Your truth's sake. Why should the nations say, Where is their God? But our God is in the heavens. He has done whatever He has pleased." (Psalm 115:1-3)
1. Dead Sea Scrolls online library launched - Ynet News
Israel's Antiquities Authority (IAA), in a joint venture with Google, has launched the Leon Levy Online Library, a free online digitized virtual library featuring the Dead Sea Scrolls.
2. Iran: Newtown massacre was Israeli conspiracy - Ynet News
Iran's Press TV website quoted Michael Harris, former Republican candidate for governor of Arizona and GOP campaign finance chairman, as saying that "An Israeli death squad was involved in the Sandy Hook shooting."
3. US denounces Israeli plans to build in East Jerusalem and settlements; Europe set to follow suit - Times of Israel
Germany and the three other West European members of the U.N. Security Council are preparing a statement condemning Israel's latest settlement plans in East Jerusalem and the West Bank, two European diplomatic officials said Tuesday.
4. Fatah military vows uprising, claims 'Palestinian land from the sea to the river' - World Tribune
The ruling Fatah movement, expressing support for another war against Israel, has established a military brigade in the West Bank.
The Daily Jot
Plethora of madness
Never in the history of my lifetime have I seen so many things coming at us from so many directions. Our way of life is threatened not only by the government we continue to elect, but also by the consequences of its, and our actions or inaction. The Founding Fathers based the Constitution off of Biblical principles. They established the Bill of Rights, of which there were 10 (a parallel to the 10 Commandments) to protect the rights of the citizens from an overpowering government. Now it seems that each of those rights are under siege every day from some faction. Your right to free speech and religious expression is chief among them. The right to own guns, the right to privacy--all under threat.
It is incredible that this government is allowed to do what it does. It is the height of hypocrisy. Think about it. The occupant of the Oval Office wants to introduce several pieces of legislation aimed at taking away your Constitutional right to bear arms because a handful of mentally ill people are using guns to kill innocent children. Yet this same man demands a non-enumerated right of abortion on demand, tax funding of Planned Parenthood, even promotion of late term abortions. This results in nearly a million pre-born babies being snuffed out every year--legal infanticide by the millions. Politicians don't want to ban guns because of children, but rather because they are a threat to totalitarianism.
Furthermore, the Attorney General says that guns should be taken away from citizens. Yet it is his department that oversaw "Fast and Furious" where the US made assault weapons available to Mexican drug cartels resulting in a US Border Agent being killed as well as other crimes committed against US citizens. Hypocrisy? A premise of a Constitutional Republic is government protecting the rights of its citizens, securing personal liberties by following general laws. A government that strives to take away those rights in the name of protecting rights is insidious, usurping rights, abusing power, becoming dictatorial. This will continue unimpeded until the people of this nation find their bearing.
2 Corinthians 4:7-10 says, "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of YHVH, and not of us. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Yeshua (Jesus), that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body." Because of the self indulgence of the "Church" rather than being grounded in the principles of Christ, the time is fast approaching that Americans will live in physical bondage. Perhaps that will cause us to become more spiritually free. But isn't it best to be both physically and spiritually free in Christ? Why accept the plethora of madness as the new normal? Why not desire and demand the best?
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
The Madison Report
The Madison Report
Hurricane Sandy Aid Package
Democrats operate by the dictum "never let a good crisis go to waste." To that end, Obama has submitted a $60.4 billion dollar aid request for recovery of damage from Hurricane Sandy. His proposal is chock full of items from his campaign wish list, and will be considered before the Senate on Monday. The Senate is using an old appropriations bill, H.R. 1, as the vehicle for the relief package.
CBO projects that 64% of the funds will not be spent until FY 2015. The entire rationale of an emergency bill is that the aid money is desperately needed now. The fact that much of the funds will not be spent for several years reveals this as a liberal stimulus bill. Here are some of the items on Obama's Santa list:
- There are several requests for studying global warming in this bill.
- The bill requests another $9.7 billion for the National Flood Insurance Program, a 47% increase. This is after the program has already received billions in taxpayer bailout money.
- Other wasteful spending includes, $9 million to replace vehicles, $24.1 million to plant trees, and $32 million for Amtrak, $17 billion to the Community Development Fund, $500 million for Social Services Block Grants, $1 million for the Legal Services Corporation, and $150 million for fishery disasters as far away from the impact zone as American Samoa!
The Senate is attaching the Sandy relief bill to H.R. 1 - the Military Construction appropriations bill, which already passed the House. Why are they not passing a standalone bill? They know that the House will never agree to pass this $60 billion package full of waste. To that end, they are attaching it to a bill that already passed the House, even though they are larding it up with extraneous and non-germane spending. This will allow liberals in both parties to bypass the House rank-and-file and head straight to a conference committee.
The irony is that were Obama to get his way on raising marginal tax rates and CapGains and dividends taxes on the rich, it would bring in roughly $50 billion in revenue the first year. That would be wiped out entirely by this aid/pork package. The bottom line is that Republicans in the Senate must resist the temptation to vote for something simply because of the mellifluous sounding title placed on the top of the bill.
Focus on Gun Control
Focus on Gun Control:
Worst School Massacre in US History Did Not Involve Guns
1927 School Massacre in Bath, Michigan left 45 dead
No assault rifles to ban. Just dynamite and pyrotol.
An alarm clock detonates a 500 Lb dynamite and pyrotol bomb that Kehoe had hidden in the north end of the school basement. The explosion lifted part of the building several feet before it collapsed.
First-grade teacher Bernice Sterling: "After the first shock I thought for a moment I was blind. When it came the air seemed to be full of children and flying desks and books. Children were tossed high in the air; some were catapulted out of the building."
Volunteer rescuer Monty Ellsworth: "There was a pile of children of about five or six under the roof and some of them had arms sticking out, some had legs, and some just their heads sticking out. They were unrecognizable because they were covered with dust, plaster, and blood. There were not enough of us to move the roof."
The full total was 45 dead. The date was 1927. As Milton Wolf points out, "The mainstream media loves the term "school shootings" because it fits into their narrative that law-abiding citizens should be disarmed. By limiting their discussion to shootings, they ignore the worst school massacre in U.S. history which wasn't a shooting at all."
(Source: Daniel Greenfield, Front Page Magazine, Dec. 16, 2012) Read more.
> > > You can read more about this disaster on Wikipedia by going here.
- Teams of intercessors became aware of this "root of evil" in our land earlier this year, and have been quietly praying in the area, asking repentance, and asking our Lord to heal this land.
Thank you for standing in agreement with their on-site prayers, and thank you praying against backlash and for their protection.
- "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
U.S. Sends F-16's to Egypt
US Sends Muslim Brotherhood's Morsi 20 F-16 Warplanes
Outrage Grows at 20 F-16s For Egypt
Set to Arrive on Israeli Election Day, 1/22/13
Key lawmakers expressing concerns about the Obama administration's plan to send 20 F-16 fighter jets to Egypt, where new President Mohamed Morsi's allegiances are as uncertain as his grip on power.
Florida Rep.Vern Buchanan, who recently called for ending foreign aid to Egypt altogether, said the Muslim Brotherhood-backed Morsi government has been sending increasingly troubling signals to Washington, and giving it state-of-the-art fighter jets is a dangerous idea. "American tax dollars must not be used to aid and abet any dictatorial regime that stands with terrorists," Buchanan said.
Rep. Mac Thornberry, (R-Texas), vice chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, told FoxNews.com Egypt is a wild card under Morsi. "At this point, we don't know where Egypt is headed," Thornberry said. "We should be cautious about driving them away, but we should also be cautious about the arms we provide." (Fox News) Read more.
(Reported by: Hebrew Nation News)
What does it mean? (Commentary from HN News Editor)
The man who occupies the Oval office is very cunning indeed. To the public and on camera, he states that he has a "strong and enduring bond of friendship" with Israel. That is fine. How to undermine and sabotage Israel without LOOKING like he is doing it? Why, become friends with Israel's enemies; in particular, the Muslim Brotherhood. Install them into power in neighboring Muslim nations (e.g. Libya, Egypt, and Syria). Give them political power: Libya, check, Egypt, check, Syria, in process. . . .
Then, give them lots of money and then, worst of all, give them the ARMS and the MEANS to destroy Israel. So, the US didn't attack or hurt Israel, right? No, those radical islamists over there in Egypt and Syria, THEY are the bad guys right? That's what it looks like. Who ENABLED and EMPOWERED and EMBOLDENED them?
The US is funtioning as the godfather and sugar daddy to the Muslim Brotherhood and radical jihadists in Egypt, Libya, and right now, even in Syria. They will do the "dirty work" for the mamser who occupies the Oval Office!
More on LIBOR Scandal
More on LIBOR (Bank Fraud) Scandal
The Libor scandal is a series of fraudulent actions connected to the Libor (London Interbank Offered Rate) and the resulting investigation and reaction. The Libor is an average interest rate calculated through submissions of interest rates by major banks in London. The scandal arose when it was discovered that banks were falsely inflating or deflating their rates so as to profit from trades, or to give the impression that they were more creditworthy than they were. Libor underpins approximately $350 trillion in derivatives. It is controlled by the British Bankers' Association (BBA).
The banks are supposed to submit the actual interest rates they are paying, or would expect to pay, for borrowing from other banks. The Libor is supposed to be an overall assessment of the health of the financial system because if the banks being polled feel confident about the state of things, they report a low number and if the member banks feel a low degree of confidence in the financial system, they report a higher interest rate number. In June 2012, multiple criminal settlements by Barclays Bank revealed significant fraud and collusion by member banks connected to the rate submissions, leading to the scandal. . . .
Because Libor is used in U.S. derivatives markets, an attempt to manipulate Libor is an attempt to manipulate U.S. derivatives markets, and thus a violation of American law. Since mortgages, student loans, financial derivatives, and other financial products often rely on Libor as a reference rate, the manipulation of submissions used to calculate those rates can have significant negative effects on consumers and financial markets worldwide. On 27 July 2012, the Financial Times published an article by a former trader which said that Libor manipulation has been common since at least 1991. Further reports on this have since come from the BBC and Reuters.
> > > Just this past week, several news reports are coming out of convictions of those who have been involved in this scheme. (See below). Offer prayer that continued investigations in this complex, illegal and global banking scheme will be successful, and that all who are serving as witnesses -- as well as their loved ones -- will be protected. Pray!
- "For I, the LORD, love justice; I hate robbery and iniquity. . ." (Isaiah 61:8)
HEADLINES FROM THIS WEEK:
1. Dec. 19 -- DOJ: UBS Japan unit to plead guilty to manipulating Libor rate; 2 former UBS traders charged (Wall Street Journal) Read more.
2. Dec. 19 -- CFTC orders UBS to pay $700 million penalty to settle in Libor case (Reuters) Read more.
3. Dec. 11: Three British men arrested in UK Libor probe (Reuters) Read more.
4. Dec. 19: U.S. will seek extradition of two former UBS traders (Reuters) Read more.
5. (Last summer) August 16: LIBOR scandal reaches major U.S. banks (Marketplace.org) Read more.
Quoting: "Attorneys general in New York and Connecticut have subpoenaed seven of the world's biggest banks, including Citigroup and JPMorgan Chase here in the U.S. "
Update: Defense Authorization Bill
Update: Defense Authorization Bill
Family Research Council Statement on Defense Authorization Language
December 19, 2012
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Family Research Council (FRC) President Tony Perkins made the following comments regarding language in the U.S. Department of Defense reauthorization bill:
"We are happy to see that Congress has included language in the Department of Defense reauthorization bill that will protect the conscience rights of chaplains and service members. This language provides for the protection of the First Amendment rights of all our men and women in the Armed Forces.
"Unfortunately, the bill at the same time expands tax-payer funding for some abortions in the Armed Forces. This is a disappointing change from past Defense authorization bills."
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
10 Heartwarming Stories of Heroism From the Sandy Hook Shooting
This is the second part of an article we ran yesterday, describing the heroic actions of many teachers -- and students -- at Sandy Hook Elementary School during the shootings last week. We thank the Lord for their courage and for their example. To read the entire article, including videos of interviews with some whose names are listed below, please go here.
6. Six-year-old son of Robert Licata:
When the gunman turned his attention to the first-grade students after shooting their teacher, the six-year-old son of Robert Licata bravely "grabbed a bunch of his friends and ran out the door," trying to get them to safety, according to his father. "He was very brave. He waited for his friends," Licata said.
7. First Grade teacher Kaitlin Roig:
Just a few yards away from the gunfire, first-grade teacher Kaitlin Roig rushed 15 students into a small bathroom once she heard the shots. "I told them to be quiet. I told them to be absolutely quiet," Roig said.
After quickly locking the door and dragging a bookcase across the doorway as an extra precaution, she went to comfort the students, who were crying and asking for their parents. A spark of inspiration hit her, and she decided to tell them that she loved them. "I wanted them to know that someone loved them and I wanted that to be one of the last things they heard, not the gunfire in the hallway," Roig said. "I thought we were all going to die."
8. Student in Kaitlin Roig's class:
A brave first grader in Roig's class also helped his teacher comfort the other students. "One of my students, you know, would say things like, 'I know karate! I'll lead the way out,'" Roig recalled.
9. Unconfirmed teacher who pulled student into classroom:
Two students were loitering in the hall when shots rang out. Second grade teacher Abbey Clements, who The Telegraph reports, pulled them into her room and away from harm. "I saw some of the bullets going past the hall that I was right next to, and then a teacher pulled me into her classroom," one of the boys said in an interview with CBS News.
10. Music teacher Maryrose Kristopik:
Music teacher Maryrose Kristopik barricaded 20 students in closets, putting instruments, such as xylophones over the doors. She also reportedly held one of the door handles to prevent anyone from getting inside the classroom. The mother of one of Kristopik's students said, "I want to thank her. She saved their lives. The shooter kept banging on the door screaming, 'Let me in! Let me in!' but he didn't get in."
Though these are only ten stories, all of the teachers, staff, and students of Sandy Hook Elementary School ought to be commended for keeping each other safe throughout the ordeal. Special thanks to the policemen, EMTs, and rescue teams who responded promptly to help get everyone to safety.
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
Christmas Flash Mob
Redondo Beach, CA Mall