Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Thursday, December 6, 2012
"Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision.The sun and moon will be darkened, and the stars no longer shine. The LORD will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem; the earth and the heavens will tremble. But the LORD will be a refuge for his people, a stronghold for the people of Israel." (Joel 3:14-16)
The Daily Brief
1. a) Syria loads chemical weapons into bombs; military awaits Assad's order - NBC News
The Syrian military is prepared to use chemical weapons against its own people and is awaiting final orders from President Bashar Assad, U.S. officials told NBC News on Wednesday.
b) US ready to act militarily if Assad uses WMDs- Jerusalem Post
A US-led coalition is prepared to take military action in Syria within days in the event that Syrian President Bashar Assad resort to the use of chemical weapons in his fight against opposition forces in his country, The Times of London reported on Tuesday, citing a US official.
- Father, we pray for Your intervention in this evil plot to destroy the people of Syria. We ask for Your power to be made manifest against Mr. Assad and his military.
- "Then immediately an angel of the Lord struck him, because he did not give glory to God. And he was eaten by worms and died." [Acts 12:23]
2. White House Unyielding on Debt Limit - Wall Street Journal
The White House hardened its position that Congress should raise the U.S.'s borrowing limit without preconditions, adding an unpredictable new element into the high-stakes budget talks.
- Lord, we pray once again for wisdom to come to our leaders in all matters of relating to the economy. Father, it seems that our leaders are bent on destroying America, but we know that You are in charge of all things and have the power to move the hearts of all men.
- "Let all their wickedness come before You, and do to them as you have done to me, for all my transgressions; for my sighs are many, and my heart is faint." [Lamentations 1:22]
3. Gregoire signed Wash. gay marriage law -USA Today
Gov. Chris Gregoire has signed into law a measure that legalizes same-sex marriage in Washington state, which now joins several other states that allow gay and lesbian couples to wed.
- Father, we are continually grieved at the rush towards sin in America. As if a flood gate has been opened, we are witnessing things that break Your commandments at every turn. But Your Word says that Your secret counsel is with the upright, so we pray for Your church to be lights of love and Your power in the midst of utter darkness.
"For behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and deep darkness the people, but the Lord will arise over you, and His Glory will be seen upon you." [Isaiah 60:2]
4. Advocates to pressure Obama on birth control - Washington Times
Pro-choice activists said Tuesday they are preparing another push to lobby the Obama administration to loosen restrictions on "emergency contraception" for women of any reproductive age.
- Lord, we pray that somehow You will stop this push toward the loss of restrictions on emergency contraception. As selfishness and a lack of love for the unborn reaches a fever pitch in America, we pray for Your Spirit to move in the hearts of people.
-"My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret" [Psalm 139:15a]
5. Pot smokers celebrate in streets as Wash. State legalizes marijuana - Fox News
The crowds of happy people lighting joints under Seattle's Space Needle early Thursday morning with nary a police officer in sight bespoke the new reality: Marijuana is legal under Washington state law.
- Father, this law is in direct conflict with the Federal law against Marijuana. As the inevitable legal battle will ensue, we pray that Your Spirit will guide the men and women who must enforce , prosecute, and judge these conflicts.
- "They do not know, nor do they understand; they walk about in darkness; all the foundations of the earth are unstable." [Psalm 82:5]
6. Durbin sees defense bill as vehicle for online sales tax - The Hill
Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) is pushing to attach his online sales tax measure to the defense authorization bill the chamber is currently debating, Durbin's office said Thursday.
- Lord, we ask that cooler heads will prevail against the additions of items to the Defense bill. We pray that all members will read the legislation prior to voting on it, and rebuke those who add unrelated items to it.
- "The mouth of those who speak lies will be stopped" [Psalm 63:11b]
7. Senator Jim DeMint, R-S.C., will resign in January to lead the Heritage Foundation. - UPI.com
Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., a conservative firebrand in Washington, announced Thursday he will leave the U.S. Senate to head The Heritage Foundation.
"I've decided to join The Heritage Foundation at a time when the conservative movement needs strong leadership in the battle of ideas," DeMint said. "No organization is better equipped to lead this fight and I believe my experience in public office as well as in the private sector as a business owner will help Heritage become even more effective in the years to come."
DeMint, who will leave the Senate in January, takes over for Edwin J. Feulner, who announced Thursday he will step down in April as president of the well-respected conservative think tank he envisioned then founded.
- Father, we pray this move by Senator DeMint will open doors to be more effective for conservative issues. May you guide and protect him in all his ways.
- To shine upon and give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to direct and guide our feet in a straight line into the way of peace. ( Luke 1: 79)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"YHWH brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; He breaks the plots of the people. The counsel of YHWH stands forever, the thoughts of His heart to all generations." (Psalms 33:10-1)
1. PM says Israel still committed to 2-state solution - Jerusalem Post
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu went on the offensive in the heart of Europe on Wednesday, saying the EU was rewarding the Palestinians for tearing up the Oslo Accords, the argument that building in E1 breaks up Palestinian territorial contiguity is wrong, and Europeans have a history of first vilifying Jews, then attacking them.
2. PA urges UNSC action over settlements - Ynet News
The Palestinians are demanding urgent action by the UN Security Council and the international community to halt Israel's "illegal settlement campaign."
3. Abbas: New Israeli settlements 'red line' - Ynet News
An Israeli-Palestinian showdown over plans for new Jewish settlements around Jerusalem escalated on Wednesday.
4. For Israel, double trouble in Syrian WMDs, jihadis on border - Israel Hayom
There is growing concern in Israel that the faltering regime of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad will use its stockpiles of chemical weapons as a last resort. According to a report in The Times of London and Maariv, Israel would take part in a joint military effort against the weapons of mass destruction, together with armed forces from the U.S., Britain, Jordan and Turkey. The report in The Times said some 75,000 commandos would take part in a massive ground operation against the Syrian WMD arsenal.
5. Israel accuses US of backing European settlement backlash - UK Telegraph
Israel has accused its closest ally, the United States, of endorsing a concerted European backlash against its plans to expand settlements in east Jerusalem and the West Bank.
The Daily Jot
Fiscal Cliff, prophetic abyss
The politicians in Washington, DC are all in an uproar about the United States falling off the so-called "Fiscal Cliff." It's like all of a sudden all the trillions of dollars of taxpayer money these guys are spending is going to cause the American government to go under if we don't raise taxes so they can spend more. The occupant of the Oval Office has pinned weak kneed Republicans into a corner, saying they want to raise taxes on the middle class. In reality, the Republicans are holding the expiring Bush tax cuts on the middle class as a bargaining chip to get cuts in government spending. It is all a perceived crisis with political gamesmanship as America falls into the prophetic abyss.
Why is it prophetic? The Bible quotes YHVH God in Exodus 20:17, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet they neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's." With Moses having issues with ruling over the people after they came out of Egypt, his father in law Jethro came to him with a word of wisdom, consistent with the Word of YHVH. He said in Exodus 18:21, "Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear YHVH, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them to be rulers of thousands, and rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens." In my opinion, this is prophetic.
From these scriptures, we have the Founding Fathers' model of representative government. Interestingly enough, this word "covet" is mentioned. YHVH does not want covetous men ruling over people. It has prophetic consequences because if allowed it will cause bondage. Covetous people will take what is not theirs from others. The state, local and federal governments are doing just that in our present times. Think of the disaster that comes when the government at any level has such power over covetousness. It will find ways to take your house, disrupt your family, have control over your possessions, and take what it sees fit. This very thing is happening to all of us living as citizens of the United States.
The local government can seize our property and sell it if we do not pay their property taxes. The federal government can seize our homes, our possessions, even our freedom if we do not pay our taxes. It is the corruption of absolute power. If the government can take these things, we do not own them. The government is able, therefore, to put you into slavery to it. This is precisely what the Founding Fathers did not want to happen. That is why they made the government govern at the consent of the people. Now we are faced with the consequences of electing covetous people to rule. There is plenty of talk about taxing you more, but virtually no talk of cutting government. We should demand it, or we will be facing our own Fiscal Cliff.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
ONE THING HAVE I ASKED OF THE LORD
(Psalm 27:4-5 ESV)
DAVID L. TALAGUIT
performed by Nathan White
One thing have I asked of the Lord
That will I seek after
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord
All the days of my life