Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"Partners in Prayer for Our Nation"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, July 11, 2012
"For thus says the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel; In returning and rest shall you be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength . . ." (Isaiah 30:15)
The Daily Brief
1. Obama threatens veto of bill combining tax cuts for middle class, top earners - Fox News
President Obama is threatening to veto any legislation that extends all the tax cuts set to expire at the end of the year, as he presses Congress to extend those cuts only for families whose yearly income is less than $250,000 -- and raises taxes on everyone earning more.
Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus told Fox News that the president's proposal is a "sham" which, if enacted, would cut into already meager economic growth. He accused Obama of playing a "divisive rich versus poor game." The president's shift to the tax debate follows Friday's lackluster jobs report showing the nation's unemployment rate stuck at 8.2 percent.
- Dear Lord, we ask for Your protection over working, taxpaying Americans, as we see some in government striving to yoke us with increasingly oppressive taxes, even while government spending rises alarmingly! Raise up leaders in the White House and Congress who spend our hard earned taxes in a worthy manner needed to sustain our nation. Hear our prayer O Lord, in Jesus' Name!
- " There is one who withholds more than is right, but it leads to poverty." (Proverbs 11:24)
2. Americans' Confidence in Television News Drops to New Low - Gallup
Americans' confidence in television news is at a new low by one percentage point, with 21% of adults expressing a great deal or quite a lot of confidence in it. This marks a decline from 27% last year and (down) from 46% when Gallup started tracking confidence in television news in 1993.
- Lord, we thank You for this poll which is evidence of Your answer to our prayers asking You to open the eyes of the American people! We ask You to continue in mercy, to give this nation eyes to see and ears to hear the revelation of Truth and discernment as revealed through Your Word. In Jesus' name we pray!
- " Blessed is the man that does not walk in the counsel of the ungodly." (Psalm 1:1)
3. Homeowner Jailed for Hosting Bible Study - Fox News
A Phoenix man who violated city zoning laws by hosting a Bible study in the privacy of his home has started serving a 60-day jail sentence for his crimes. Pastor Salman's incarceration is the result of a long-running feud between the ordained pastor and the city of Phoenix over weekly Bible studies that Salman and his wife hosted in their home. City officials determined that the weekly gatherings constituted a church - and therefore violated a number of code regulations.
The controversy erupted in 2009 when nearly a dozen police officers raided the Salman's home and a 2,000 square foot building in their backyard. The family had moved their Bible study into the building after the group outgrew their living room. The charges that sent Salman to jail were a result of that raid - ranging from not posting exit lights above their doors - to not having handicap ramps or handicap parking.
Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council said the attack against Salman should serve as a wake-up call to Christians across the nation.
- Father, we adore You, we lay our lives before You. May Your Body, the Church, walk in wisdom in all of our ways - obeying the laws of man as is fitting and possible; and obeying You in all things, at all times, whatever the cost. Use this Pastor's 60 day imprisonment (and extensive fines) to bring glory to Your name and to enlarge Your Kingdom. Comfort and support his children and family. Guide this Pastor and church in Your manifested wisdom, power, and integrity in all their ongoing activities. In Jesus' Name.
- " Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves. Therefore be wise as serpents and harmless as doves. But beware of men, for they will deliver you up to councils and scourge you in their synagogues.You will be brought before governors and kings for My sake, as a testimony to them and to the Gentiles." (Matthew 10:16-18)
4. Spencer: Christian 'radicalization' is fiction - One News Now
A bestselling author and expert on terrorism finds it ridiculous that a Democratic member of Congress is calling on members to hold hearings on "radical Christianity."
During a recent House Committee on Homeland Security hearing, chairman Peter King allowed Texas Democrat Al Green, who is not a member of the committee, five minutes to address a concern. He used that time to call on the committee to expand its hearings on radical Islam to include a hearing on the "radicalization" of Christians. "I want to be fair to Muslims," the Democrat declared. "I want to be fair to people who practice Islam. And to be fair, you have to go beyond just the radicalization of Islam -- and that's what we are not doing."
But Robert Spencer, director of Jihad Watch, says Green's concern is unfounded. He tells OneNewsNow, "He [is] talking about something that's essentially fictional. There are no Christians who are citing the Bible and using it to justify acts of violence and terrorism. There are Muslims all around the world citing the Quran and using it to justify acts of violence and terrorism."
- Lord, I pray that Your precepts will be most highly honored in America, and Your people will find favor in Your eyes and in the eyes of man. We bind the deceptions of Islam in Jesus' Name.
- "And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men." (Luke 2:52) " My eyes are on the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with Me. He who walks in a perfect way, he shall serve Me." (Psalm 101:6)
5. US Episcopal Church Approves Blessing of Same-Sex Couples - VOA News
The U.S. Episcopal Church has approved a new worship service to bless same-sex couples, becoming the largest religious denomination in the United States to accept the union of homosexual couples. The new blessing, called "The Witnessing and Blessing of a Lifelong Covenant," includes prayers and an exchange of vows and rings - but does not mention the word "marriage." Tuesday's vote is the latest move by the U.S. Episcopal Church, which has a membership of two million people, towards embracing homosexuality. The church elected its first openly gay bishop in 2003, which created a split in the denomination and angered leaders in the worldwide Anglican community.
- Heavenly Father, may every true follower of Jesus in the U.S. Episcopal church stand up in the power of Your might, and oppose this heresy. Speedily draw them out from this "church" which chooses to openly disobey Your clear Word with its perverse rulings. In Jesus' name we pray.
- " Therefore "Come out from among them And be separate, says the Lord. Do not touch what is unclean, And I will receive you.I will be a Father to you, And you shall be My sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty." (2 Corinthians 6: 16,17)
6. Fears of new Dust Bowl as heat, drought shrivel corn in Midwest - MSNBC
Across a wide stretch of the Midwest, sweltering temperatures and a lack of rain are threatening what had been expected to be the nation's largest corn crop in generations.
- Lord, may America awaken to the consequences of its own wickedness, the consequences of our permissible slaughter of millions of lives You created in the womb, the consequences of electing leaders who promote abortion and homosexuality. Have mercy on us through Jesus Christ our Lord, and turn this nation around in humility and repentance before it is too late. We also pray Your divine protection over the farmers who love and obey You. We pray in Jesus' Name.
- " And the LORD commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God, for our good always, that He might preserve us alive." (Deuteronomy 6:24)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"God is not a man that He should lie, neither the son of man that He should repent. Has He said, and shall He not do it? Or has He spoken, and shall He not make it good?" (Numbers 23:19)
1. Peres warns settlements threaten the 'future of a Jewish state' - Times of Israel
Israeli settlements in the West Bank are a danger to Israel and threaten its long-term status as a center of Jewish life, President Shimon Peres said Tuesday evening. Danny Dayan, head of the Yesha (settlers) council, responded that Israel would stop being Jewish when people gave up their ancestral homeland.
2. Hamas Destroys Arab Homes on 'Gov't Land;' UN Silent - Israel National News
The headline "Government destroys Arab homes on 'government land'" normally would draw fire and brimstone from mainstream media and the United Nations if Israel were the subject, but not if the government is Hamas.
3. Report: Hezbollah nabs 3 'Mossad spies' - Ynet News
Hezbollah announced that it has arrested three people it believes were running a spy ring on behalf of the United States and Israel, the Saudi-owned Al Arabiya news network reported Tuesday.
4. Netanyahu: Levy report findings 'merit serious examination' - Israel Hayom
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday announced that retired Supreme Court Judge Edmond Levy's report concerning the status of Israeli construction in Judea and Samaria will soon be brought to the Ministerial Committee on Settlement Affairs for discussion.
The Daily Jot!
Prophetic reality on repealing socialized medicine and holding Holder in contempt
The US House of Representatives is moving on some issues that have dire prophetic consequences to our nation. The House voted 255-67 to hold Attorney General Eric Holder in criminal contempt of Congress and followed with a vote to hold him in civil contempt. He has refused to cooperate with Congress on the investigation that he and his Justice Department deliberately sold weapons to Mexican drug cartel operatives, which resulted in the murder of an American border patrol agent. The other House vote is to repeal socialized medicine. This vote is far more partisan. Americans will face thousands of dollars in individual tax increases to pay for mandatory healthcare if the program is not repealed.
The two issues are related in that both are being stonewalled by an overreaching political system that is out of the control of the people it claims to serve. The agency responsible for prosecuting Holder resides in the Justice Department whose head is a political appointment of Holder. There will be no prosecution of the contempt charges. Socialized healthcare will also not be repealed because the man who occupies the Oval Office has stated he would veto the repeal if it reached his desk. House Republicans want to go on record before the general election that they do not support what amounts to a tax increase that will result in the destruction of the world's best free market healthcare system.
In both cases an overreaching federal government refuses to be held accountable to the people and the laws of the land. Americans keep seeking a political solution to a spiritual problem. And like Israel of old, Americans are drifting farther and farther away from their spiritual roots, falling into idolatry and moving their nation into decline. The scriptures say in Isaiah 31:1, "Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek YHVH." So long as we are seeking worldly solutions to our problems, we will continue in decline.
The issue is one of the heart. If we trust in those we elect, yet they are not held to a moral and ethical standard, then we will receive immoral and unethical results. If we do not hold ourselves to the standard set by YHVH, how can we expect to elect or hold anyone else to that standard? We need to become a Psalm 20:7 people, "Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of YHVH." There are prophetic consequences of a political solution instead of a spiritual solution--those seeking such lost their nation, and worse, missed their Messiah. Unfortunately, America seems to be headed in the same direction in that we are denying our Messiah and our nation is in accelerated decline.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Today's Legislative Focus
Today's Legislative Focus
From The Madison Project
After Senate Republicans capitulated and helped Democrats pass the Violence Against Women Act, the student loan bill, transportation bill, Export-Import Bank Reauthorization, and the Farm Bill, there's not much on the Senate's plate until the end of the month. To that end, Harry Reid will spend much of the next few weeks focused on a vacuous attempt to get Republicans to vote against his "tax cut" bill.
Yesterday, the Senate was scheduled to commence debate on legislation (S 2237) that would give employers a tax credit of up to $500,000 to offset 10% of the amount they spend to expand their payroll in 2012 compared to 2011. While we support all efforts to give people back their money, this is yet another temporary stimulus gimmick in which Democrats are attempting to use the tax code to centrally plan the economy.
We always support across-the-board permanent tax cuts, and that's exactly what Republicans should do. Senate Republicans must use the amendment process to turn the tables on Democrats and get them on record as opposing important legislation. They should push for a full extension of the Bush tax cuts. They should also force a vote on full repeal of Obamacare. We'll be updating you on the latest information on amendments as it becomes available.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner
How long would you wait for love?
"The Longest Wait: the Story of Billie D. Harris"
A clip from CBS This Morning from 06-10-12. A woman waits more than 60 years to know what happened to her husband in WW2.
> > > Be SURE to view this video all the way to the end! You may want to have a tissue handy, too.
Worship with Us Today!
Worship with Us Today!
Don't Ever Let Go by Grace Williams
Hold me in your arms, Lord
Let me feel Your love
Don't EVER let go...