· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Iran in the News
· "Hate Crimes" Law Struck Down by PA Court
· In California: Fight Over Gay Marriage Isn't Over
· "Personhood Amendment" Up for Vote in Colorado
· More on Obama's Birth Certificate
· CHPP SUPPORTS THE CALL
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Friday, August 8, 2008
"Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine. . . " (Psalm 43:1 NKJV)
CHPP SUPPORTS THE CALL!!
Please see the last article on today's Daily Brief for more information about how YOU can be involved in this very serious time of prayer, fasting and repentance in Washington, D.C. on August 16th. Thank you!
The Daily Brief
1. U.S. Calls for Russia to Halt Attacks Against Georgia - Reuters
Fighting in Breakaway Georgia Province EscalatesGeorgia, a staunch U.S. ally, launched a surprise military offensive to retake South Ossetia and reportedly killed hundreds of people, triggering a ferocious counterattack from Russia that threatened to plunge the region into full-scale war. Moscow, which has close ties to the separatists, sent a column of tanks rolling into South Ossetia and reportedly attacked two Georgian air bases as it moved to assert itself as the dominant regional power.Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili is expected to declare martial law within hours, according to the Georgian security council chief, Reuters reported. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called on Russia Friday to halt attacks in South Ossetia. Her announcement came as the European Union was working on a cease-fire with Georgia and South Ossetia separatists to end the violent conflict.
· Raise up an IMMEDIATE PRAYER SHIELD over the nation of Georgia, praying for the safety of all of her citizens there. Pray for WISDOM for President Bush and his advisors as they weigh the correct response to this conflict, for Georgia is a key ally of ours in that region of the world. Bind the spirits of rage that seem to be operating in the minds of Russia's rulers, and speak peace. Pray!
· "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
2. Heading To Olympics, Bush Calls For Greater Rights In China - Agence France-Presse
President George W. Bush raised "deep concerns" about China's detention of dissidents and respect for human rights Thursday, as he headed to Beijing for the Olympic Games. Speaking in Bangkok, Bush insisted that his criticism was not intended to "antagonise" China on the eve of the Games, and expressed optimism about the future of the world's most populous nation. "The United States believes the people of China deserve the fundamental liberty that is the natural right of all human beings," Bush said in the speech, given just hours before leaving for Beijing. "America stands in firm opposition to China's detention of political dissidents and human rights advocates and religious activists," he said. "Change in China will arrive on its own terms and in keeping with its own history and traditions. Yet change will arrive," Bush said. "And it will be clear for all to see that those who aspire to speak their conscience and worship their God are no threat to the future of China. They are the people who will make China a great nation in the 21st century.'"
· Praise God for the voice of freedom. Lord, we pray for You to make a way for people to worship You openly and freely in China. Open the door for Christians in China to have an influential voice in changing laws that are against life.
· Jesus answered, "You say rightly that I am a king, For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice." (John 18:37)
3. Islamic Group Threatens Terror Attack at Olympics - AP
Police shut down the bustling International Bazaar in the capital of China's restive Muslim region of Xinjiang on Friday amid threats from an Islamic group that attackers might target buses, trains and planes during the Olympics.On Thursday, a videotape purportedly made by the Turkistan Islamic Party -- a militant group seeking Xinjiang independence -- was released with threats to launch attacks during the Olympics. "Choose your side," says the videotape's speaker, grasping a rifle and dressed in a black turban and camouflage with his face masked. "Do not stay on the same bus, on the same train, on the same plane, in the same buildings or any place the Chinese are," he warns Muslims, according to a translation by the SITE Intelligence Group, a U.S. operation that monitors militant organizations.The Turkistan Islamic Party is believed to be based across the border in Pakistan, where security experts say core members have received training from al- Qaeda.
· Lord, we ask protection for the Olympics. Expose and destroy the works of the enemy. May this world event be a place of safety. Bring resolve to all nations to join together in conquering terrorism.
· "The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My god my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised; So shall I be saved from my enemies." (Ps. 18:2-3)
4. SPECIAL PRAYER REQUEST FOR INTERNATIONAL SECURITY
Prayer offered by Intercessors for America
Let us agree in prayer that the Lord will expose and thwart the spread of nuclear materials, devices, missiles, and bombs. Pray for all in intelligence agencies who are "on watch" against nuclear, biological, and chemical terrorist devices and plans. Pray that any terrorists who would be attempting to detonate nuclear or other weapons of mass destruction be exposed, arrested and brought to swift justice and to redemption.
Pray for wisdom for security directors in U.S. cities. Remember borders, ports, nuclear and chemical facilities, roads and infrastructures, energy grids, stadiums, fairs and large public gatherings. Pray that our enemies would fail to break through.
· Verse offered by Capitol Hill Prayer Partners "O righteous God, who searches minds and hearts, bring to an end the violence of the wicked and make the righteous secure." (Psalm 7:9)
5. Christian Pro-Lifers Reportedly Arrested Again in China - CNSNews.com
[Please note: we have updated information that the three protestors are now safely back upon U.S. soil We offer praise for their safe return, but continue to pray for the persecuted church in China, below.] As President and Mrs. Bush head to China, three American Christians who were briefly detained Wednesday for protesting in Tiananmen Square were arrested again on Thursday when they tried to hold a press conference at the Beijing landmark. In the run-up to the Olympic Games, the three have been trying to draw attention to human rights violations, including forced abortions linked to China's coercive population control policies. Brandi Swindell and Michael McMonagle of the pro-life group Generation Life and Patrick Mahoney, director of the Christian Defense Coalition, were arrested on Thursday morning Beijing time, according to a statement released by Rob Schenck, president of the Washington D.C.-based National Clergy Council.
· Lord we pray for the softening of hearts in the Chinese government toward life and freedom. Use America's freedom as a testimony to open China to change. Set China free in Your spirit. Honor the prayers of Christians who have been and are being persecuted.
· "He shall send from heaven and save me; He reproaches the one who would swallow me up. God shall send forth His mercy and His truth." (Ps. 57:3)
6. GOP Planning To Revolt Right Up To Dem Convention - The Hill
House Minority Leader John Boehner has written to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, as follows: "Republicans will not rest until we have an honest, up-or-down vote on the American Energy Act.To that end, we request that you contact the Whip's Office and indicate any time you may have available to come to the Capitol in the coming weeks. We specifically request that you indicate your availability for any days during the next two weeks, August 11th through 22nd, as soon as possible."In a separate statement, Boehner said: "The nationwide House GOP energy protest is making history, and we are writing to announce that the Call to Arms will continue," Boehner continued. "And with your help, we will keep the pressure on the Speaker until she gives the American people the energy vote they want, need and deserve."
· Lord, we ask Your blessing to establish the American Energy Act. We pray for favor and power to move forward.We ask You to break the stronghold that is blocking this vote. We declare a clear sound of "yes" or "no."
· "You will also decare a thing, And it will be established for you; So light will shine on your ways." (Job 22:28)
7. Obama's New Muslim Adviser Resigns - CNS News.com
Sen. Barack Obama's director of Muslim outreach has resigned amid controversy, just a few weeks after joining Obama's presidential campaign. Attorney Mazen Asbahi started working as the campaign's outreach coordinator on July 26, and he resigned on Monday. In a letter, he said he was stepping down "to avoid distracting from Barack Obama's message of change," the Associated Press reported. The A.P. said Asbahi resigned amid questions about his connection to an imam linked to people who allegedly raised funds for Hamas.
· Lord, we so humble ourselves before You. You alone raise up and put down. You alone are God of heaven and earth. We ask You to continue to expose and bring truth to the surface. We desire America to return to her biblical foundation and rebuild our nation on truth. We ask Your guidance and blessing toward seeking Your will and purpose in those being appointed to positions of leadership.
· " . . . . that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ the Father of gory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revealation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of yhour understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mightly power . . . " (Eph. 1:17-19)
8. Dow Soars 303, Cashes in on Dollar - Fox News
Fueled by the greenback's best day in years and another tumble in oil prices, the Dow leaped 300 points on Friday to put the finishing touches on the index's best week since April. The big day on Wall Street reversed a 224-point selloff on the Dow from Thursday and allowed the blue chips to close the week with a rally of more than 3%. It was the week's second rally of 300 points or more, with a 200-point dive coupled in between.
· Whether the market goes up, or the market goes down, our financial sector still is in need of ongoing, intensive prayer covering. Continue in repentance before our Lord, asking that His mercy will visit our people and His Hand will move to help to stabilize all of our markets. GOD IS BIGGER THAN WALL STREET . . . 'CUZ HE WILL NEVER FALL!
· "Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved." (Psalm 55:22)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble; may the name of the God of Jacob defend you." (Psalm 20:1)
NOTE: All headlines below have been reported by Bridges for Peace. We are including their prayer points along with this news.
1. Gloves Off in Race to Be Israel's Next PM - The Media LineIsrael's most senior politicians are about to fight to take on the most important job in the country-that of prime minister. A dramatic announcement made by Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on the evening of July 30 shook the country's political scene.There are currently two favorites in the race for Qadima Party leadership: Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni and Transportation Minister-the former army chief- Shaul Mofaz. The winner will have 28 days to establish a new coalition government, but estimates suggest neither Mofaz, nor Livni, will find the task easy. If they fail, the Knesset (Israel's parliament) will be dissolved and new elections will be announced within 90 days.
· Pray for the Israeli political system. There is a great amount of speculation about the many possibilities open to political forces. Pray that the Lord will guide this process to be a blessing for the Land and the people.
· "Now the LORD said to Samuel, "How long will you mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? Fill your horn with oil, and go; I am sending you to Jesse the Bethlehemite. For I have provided Myself a king among his sons." (1 Samuel 16:1)
2. Netanyahu: Kadima Offering Jerusalem to Our Worst Enemies - Ynet News
"For the first time in the history of the Jewish nation, a situation has arisen in which the ruling party (Kadima) is willing to offer Jerusalem's most precious parts to the worst of our enemies," Opposition Leader Benjamin Netanyahu said August 3. Speaking at a conference of Mossad Harav Kook in Jerusalem, the Likud chairman said; "This is not only a political failure, but it also jeopardizes our security. It is a fundamental moral failure in the national, Jewish, and religious sense."
· Pray that all contenders for Israel leadership will make their policies known, so the people can decide who to follow with wisdom and understanding.
· "A wise man is strong, yes, a man of knowledge increases strength." (Proverbs 24:5)
3. US Foreign Policy Changes Course - BFP
Israel Urges US to Stand Firm on Iran Israel expressed its concern about the new American position on Iran in recent US-Israeli engagements and urged the United States to stand firm against the Iranian nuclear program. Israel concerns come after a dramatic shift in US foreign policy, in which top US diplomat William Burns joined foreign envoys from around the world in a July 19 meeting with an Iranian delegate. In the meeting the international delegates gave Iran two weeks to answer calls to curb uranium enrichment or face more sanctions. The shift in US- Iran relations raised eyebrows in Israel, which has long looked to its US ally to lead efforts to isolate Iran. Since the multi-party talks in Geneva, Iran has said it would press ahead with its nuclear plans. Israel has increased the stakes in the diplomatic standoff by hinting it could resort to military strikes against its arch-foe's nuclear site. One of the more vocal Israeli hawks, Deputy Prime Minister Shaul Mofaz, was hosted by Burns on Thursday for routine bilateral consultations known as the "strategic dialogue." Mofaz's spokeswoman, Talia Somech, said he used the forum, as well as separate meetings with US Vice President Dick Cheney and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, to raise Israel's objections to the direct US-Iranian talks.
· Praise God that there is mounting concern over recent responses in Iran. Pray that the international leaders will stand strong in the face of challenges from the Iranian regime.
· "Be of good courage, and let us be strong for our people and for the cities of our God. And may the LORD do what is good in His sight." (2 Samuel 10:12)
4. Israel Foreign Ministry Upset by German Permit for Iran Deal - World Jewish Congress
The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) has expressed concerns about a decision by Germany's Export Control Agency to approve a $156 million deal between a German engineering company and the Iranian Oil Company to build three natural gas liquefying plants in Iran. In a statement, the MFA said the decision was "opposed to the spirit of the sanctions imposed by the UN Security Council against Iran."Jerusalem had requested clarification from the senior German government officials and had expressed Israel's concern at this development, the statement said. It also says that it is "disquieting that Germany, a member of the group of leading European countries, which includes France, Great Britain, and Germany, has adopted a standpoint detrimental to the international position, which calls for the significant increase in sanctions should the development of the Iranian nuclear program continue."
· Pray that the larger nations will hold fast to their commitment to bring sanctions against Iran.
· "Do not be deceived: "Evil company corrupts good habits." (1 Corinthians 15:33)
Iran in the News
For all the headlines below, we thank God for the promise of His Word: It is written, "The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?" (Psalm 118:6)
1. '2 US aircraft carriers headed for Gulf' - Jerusalem Post
Two additional United States naval aircraft carriers are heading to the Gulf and the Red Sea, according to the Kuwaiti newspaper Kuwait Times.
2. Iranian diplomat warns of harsh response to any strike - Ynet News
In what is believed to be the first interview granted by an Iranian official with an Israeli publication, the press attache for the Iranian Embassy in Damascus, Majid Bashtestani, warned Israel against striking his country's nuclear facilities.
3. Israel warns Russia: We'll neutralize S-300 if sold to Iran - Jerusalem Post
If Russia goes through with the sale of its most advanced anti-aircraft missile system to Iran, Israel will use an electronic warfare device now under development to neutralize it and as a result present Russia as vulnerable to air infiltrations, a top defense official has told The Jerusalem Post.
4. Rice: US won't tell Israel yes or no on Iran - Ynet News
US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said Thursday that the US would not "say yes or no" to an Israeli military strike on Iran. In an interview with Yahoo News and Politico, she also said that Iran's answer to the incentives package offered by world powers "is not a really serious answer", and warned that new economic sanctions were the next likely step if the country continued to refuse to freeze its nuclear program.
"Hate Crimes" Law Struck Down by PA Court
Pennsylvania "hate crimes" law struck down by Penn. Supreme Court
In a significant victory for freedom of thought and the rule of law, the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled yesterday in favor of Michael Marcavage and other Christian evangelists with Repent America, affirming in Marcavage v. Rendell that the state legislature violated the Pennsylvania Constitution when it added "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" to Pennsylvania's "ethnic intimidation" law (18 Pa. C.S. § 2710), the state's version of so-called "hate crimes." (Published by Ben DuPré July 24th, 2008 in Law, Politics)
· Thank You, Lord for this victory against hate crime laws which target Christians! We ask You to raise up Your standard against the flood of the enemy in our legislation and courts!
· "Behold I will lift My hand in an oath to the nations, and set up My standard for the peoples. . ." (Isaiah 49:22)
In California: Fight Over Gay Marriage Isn't Over
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ
As California families fight to preserve marriage in November, the state's attorney general made no secret of his attitude when he launched a surprise attack on the language of Proposition 8, the initiative defining marriage as the union of a man and woman. Attorney General Jerry Brown sabotaged the amendment's description in an obvious attempt to influence voters. Rather than use the original text, which states, "[Proposition 8] provide[s] that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California," Brown's version makes sweeping claims that banning same-sex marriage would have a negative impact on the state's economy.
He editorializes the description to state: "[Proposition 8] changes the California Constitution to eliminate the right of same-sex couples to marry. Provides that only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California. Fiscal Impact: Over the next few years, potential revenue loss, mainly sales taxes, totaling in the several tens of millions of dollars, to state and local governments. In the long run, like little fiscal impact on state and local governments."
The new language suggeststhat homosexuals will somehow be deprived of a "right" to marry that does not exist (except in the minds of four activist judges). Brown speculates that there will be "revenue loss... in the several tens of millions of dollars," which is a totally unsubstantiated accusation. Knowing how the economy looms on voters' minds, Brown is using people's pocketbooks to prejudice them against the amendment. To cloud the issue with Brown's personal bias is simply indefensible. ProtectMarriage, the coalition on the ground in California, announced this morning that it will file a lawsuit seeking to block the biased summary from appearing on the ballot. (Family Research Council)
· Pray that the truth about Brown's Proposition 8 is clearly revealed to Californians. How dare this man, a servant of the residents of the state, violate the wishes of the people except through deliberate deception? Pray that this measure falls fruitless to the ground. Pray also for the salvation of Attorney General Jerry Brown so that he can see with the eyes of God.
· "So are the ways of everyone that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of owners thereof." (Proverbs 1:19)
"Personhood Amendment" Up for Vote in Colorado
COLORADO VOTERS WILL CONSIDER PERSONHOOD AMENDMENT IN NOVEMBER
One of the nation's leading pro-life groups has given a Colorado statewide ballot measure that would establish personhood for unborn children its stamp of approval. Focus on the Family has endorsed the measure that Colorado voters will consider when they go to the polls in November. Amendment 48 would define unborn children as persons under state law from the moment of fertilization. It could set off a statewide battle over abortion, embryonic stem cell research and other practices that kill people before birth. Abortion advocates have already staged rallies and are organizing efforts to defeat the measure at the polls in the fall. They are expected to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to defeat it.
The Personhood Amendment states: "Be it Enacted by the People of the State of Colorado: SECTION 1. Article II of the constitution of the state of Colorado is amended BY THE ADDITION OF A NEW SECTION to read: Section 31. Person defined. As used in sections 3, 6, and 25 of Article II of the state constitution, the terms 'person' or 'persons' shall include any human being from the moment of fertilization." (LifeNews.com 8/6/08) [Reported by: Intercessors for America]
More on Obama's Birth Certificate
Evidence Mounts in Obama Birth Fraud Story Petitions Circulate For Government To Certify Obama Birth Certificate is Legal
It is starting to read like a Robert Ludlum spy novel-- the Islamic attempt to take over America by growing up and grooming a man to become president, forging his birth certificate so as to appear to meet the Constitutional requirements, placing him in a Christian church that does not require a change to Christianity to become a member, having him say he was never a practicing Muslim, but that he is a Christian, having him walk a fine line by never admitting the deity of Christ, and positioning him before the public as a dynamic and charismatic speaker with a plan--a simple plan--time for a change.
If you are a conspiracy theorist, this is exactly what the B. Hussein Obama campaign for President is. But the facts are far too compelling to ignore as theory because many of them are true. And the Obama campaign is hanging on a daisy chain of stories tied together by a thread that is becoming thin and worn with each passing day. It is the authenticity of his certificate of live birth from Hawaii. The daily magazine Israeli Insider, as well as the National Review and Atlas Shrugs have been updating on a regular basis the findings of a forensic expert that confirm Obama's birth certificate is a fake.
The most recent claim submits that the high resolution image of Obama's birth certificate posted on the campaign's official website in low resolution was derived from the certificate of live birth of Obama's sister Maya Kassandra Soetoro. This claim, the documentation soon to be made public, was arrived at by two independent forensic investigators. The claim, however, muddies the waters because it was thought that Obama's sister was born in Indonesia. According to Israeli Insider, "There do appear to be circumstances which would enable a foreign born child to get a US birth certificate, including a consular report of an overseas birth by an American citizen, or an adoption.
There are many confusing twists and turns in this saga that could be straightened out by Obama himself. But he's not talking despite requests that he give an explanation. Blogger Mitchell Langbert is circulating a petition requesting the Federal Elections Commission verify Obama's eligibility to be president. You can view the petition at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition /Federal-Elections-Commssion/. Jesus said in John 8:31, 32, "If you continue in my word, then you are my disciples indeed; And you shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free." The candidate that says he is a Christian should reveal the truth and set this issue free. His silence is condemning.
Word of Life Ministry www.dailyjot.com
CHPP SUPPORTS THE CALL
"Unless you repent you will all likewise perish." (Luke 13:5)
The Call DC on the National Mall - August 16
The Call DC is a day of fasting and prayer and not a festival. It is a massive gathering for those who are desperate for revival in Washington DC and our nation. We encourage everyone to spend all day at The Call. Registration is free but necessary; go to www.thecall.com. Please join this day of fasting and prayer for the nation.
Whether you can participate in this day of solemn assembly here in Washington, D.C., or you wish to "enter in" right where you live, please visit the website for The Call for further details.* * * * *
Thank you, too, for joining Capitol Hill Prayer Partners for 40 WEEKS of Repentance for the sins of our nation, as we continue to release our Call to Repentance every Sunday evening at 7:00 p.m. Begun in January, the 40 WEEKS will end in mid-October. To review all of our alerts to date, please visit our blog for the Call to Repentance by going here.
We praise GOD for HIs Grace to visit us, week after week after week, as we lift specific sins before His Throne for repentance, cleansing, and forgiveness. "Through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not." (Lam. 3:22)