· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Russian Attack in Prophecy
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Wednesday, August 20, 2008
"But I will sing of thy power; yea, I will sing aloud of thy mercy in the morning: for thou hast been my defence and refuge in the day of my trouble." (Psalm 59:16)
The Daily Brief
1. 'Boomerang' Fay Gains Strength Over Florida - Associated Press and Fox News
Tropical Storm Fay rolled ashore in southwestern Florida on Tuesday, without much fanfare, but stubbornly hung around like an unwelcome house guest, gaining power and threatening -- once again -- to become a hurricane. The storm hit the Florida Keys on Monday, veered over the Gulf and then traversed east across the state Tuesday on a path that would have taken it over the Atlantic before it curved toward the Florida-Georgia border. Forecasters had originally expected Fay to energize over the ocean and possibly become a hurricane. But the storm's center remained just inland early Wednesday, and forecasters said it might not go over the water until the afternoon. There were no new reports of major damage Wednesday, despite flooding in Florida's Brevard County, on the coast. The storm has stalled there, and was predicted to dump between 6 and 12 inches of rain in the area. Orlando International Airport has cancelled over 300 flights due to the storm.
· Thank You Father, that no lives have been taken so far in the United States with this storm. We praise You for enabling this storm to give moisture to the states that have needed rainfall. Please use this unpredictable hurricane to bring awareness to Americans how much they need You in all situations, including Hurricane Fay. May You be glorified in this storm and in all weather! Amen.
· "Nevertheless, He did not leave Himself without witness, in that He did good, gave us rain from heaven and fruitful seasons, filling our hearts with food and gladness." (Acts 14: 17 NKJV)
2. Russia Shrugs Off NATO Scolding, Takes Prisoners and Humvees - ABC News
A Western draft of a U.N. Security Council resolution on Georgia , calls on Russia to withdraw immediately to pre-conflict lines, according to a text obtained by Reuters today. The draft also calls for the return of Georgian forces to their usual bases, demands full and immediate compliance with the ceasefire and a reference to "the territorial integrity of Georgia within its internationally recognized borders."
· Dearest Heavenly Father, we humbly ask that You will be a Father to the Georgian nationals who have endured much since the August 7 Russian invasion of their country. We continue to ask that Russian President Putin will set aside his KGB training and somehow seek Your wisdom in dealing with this aggression and lay down their arms. Please give Georgia protection and restoration from this forced occupation and return any taken prisoners home. We also ask that You would protect surrounding nations like the Ukraine and Poland who want to help Georgia recover from the Russian incursion. In Jesus' Name we pray that You be glorified in this and that many be saved because of this conflict. Amen.
· "Now see that I, even I, am He, and there is no God besides Me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; Nor is there any who can deliver from My hand. For I raise My hand to heaven, and say, 'As I live forever, if I whet My glittering sword, and My hand takes hold on judgment, I will render vengeance to My enemies, and repay those who hate Me.'" (Deuteronomy 32: 39-41 NKJV)
3. Russia: Response To U.S. Missile Shield Deal With Poland Will Go Beyond Diplomacy - Fox News
Russia's Foreign Ministry says its response to U.S. missile shield development will go beyond diplomacy, adding that the U.S. plan is part of an "extremely dangerous bundle" of military projects. Earlier Wednesday, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, and her Polish counterpart, Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski, signed a deal to build a U.S. missile defense base in Poland, an agreement that prompted an infuriated Russia to warn of a possible attack against the former Soviet satellite.Rice dismissed the blustery comments from Russian leaders who say Warsaw's hosting of 10 U.S. interceptor missiles just 115 miles from Russia's westernmost frontier opens the country up to attack. Such comments "border on the bizarre frankly," Rice said, speaking to reporters traveling with her in Warsaw. Speaking to reporters traveling with her, Rice said, "The Russians are losing their credibility. When you threaten Poland, you perhaps forget that it is not 1988," Rice said. "It's 2008 and the United States has a ... firm treaty guarantee to defend Poland's territory as if it was the territory of the United States. So it's probably not wise to throw these threats around."
· Commander of the Heavenly Host, we ask that these strained relationships between Russia, America, Poland, Georgia, and her allies will be mended through the Power of Your Holy Spirit. May Ms. Rice and Poland's Mr. Sikorski seek Your Face in all of their meetings and decisions regarding the Georgian conflict and the Polish Missile Defense Base. May the leaders of these nations come to know Your Son, Jesus, as their Savior and the people's that they are to protect and represent. In Jesus' Name we pray these needs, known and unknown. Amen.
· "Do not be afraid of sudden terror, nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught." (Proverbs 3: 25-26 NKJV)
4. Georgia Conflict Demands A New Warsaw Pact - NY Sun, Wall Street Journal and The Weekly Standard
The next American president should start thinking right now about creating a new military alliance based in New Europe, whose members -- some of them members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, others perhaps not -- would rush to each other's defense if attacked. One idea being floated by conservatives is the "League of Democracies," with the current NATO being their peacekeeping force.
· Only You God, know that we need to have Your peace to have true peace throughout our world. We pray for Your glory, that Your peace will come soon to this universe that You created. We look forward to Your establishing Your Kingdom on earth as it is in Heaven. Maranatha!
· "He shall speak peace to the nations; His dominion shall be from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth." (Zechariah 9: 10 NKJV)
5. War Reveals Russia's Military Might and Weakness - ABC News
Russia's lightning war against Georgia looks like a military triumph: An armada of Russian tanks easily crushed Georgia's modest army in a show of muscle intended to punish its U.S.-allied neighbor, scare others and reaffirm Moscow's influence on its former Soviet turf. But the conflict also revealed crucial weaknesses in Moscow's military preparedness - including faulty intelligence, a shortage of modern equipment and poor coordination.
· Gracious Lord, it seems that everyone and everything has an "Achilles Heel." Russia in its desire to destroy Georgia has exposed that it has serious flaws in its military. May they see that they are not invincible and that they need You to help them become the true world leader that they so want to be. May they see that they need the One True God that they have been denied, to accomplish their desires in a Godly way. May You be glorified in Russia and throughout the world, Lord Jesus. Amen.
· "So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten, the crawling locust, the consuming locust, and the chewing locust, My great army which I sent among you. You shall eat in plenty and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, who has dealt wondrously with you; and My people shall never be put to shame." (Joel 2: 25-26 NKJV)
6. Study: Many Americans Believe God More Powerful at Saving Lives Than Doctors - Fox News
An eye-opening survey reveals widespread belief that divine intervention can revive dying patients. And, researchers said, doctors "need to be prepared to deal with families who are waiting for a miracle. "More than half of randomly surveyed adults -- 57 percent -- said God's intervention could save a family member even if physicians declared treatment would be futile. And nearly three-quarters said patients have a right to demand such treatment.When asked to imagine their own relatives being gravely ill or injured, nearly 20 percent of doctors and other medical workers said God could reverse a hopeless outcome. "Sensitivity to this belief will promote development of a trusting relationship" with patients and their families, according to researchers. That trust, they said, is needed to help doctors explain objective, overwhelming scientific evidence showing that continued treatment would be worthless.
· Jehovah God, the Great Physician, may we too, have the faith of the woman with the issue of blood that knew that she only had to touch the hem of Your garment and that she would be healed. May we also know and remember in times of illness and death that You have heard our prayers and have healed us, even if that healing comes only when in Your presence in Heaven. Amen.
· "But Jesus turned around, and when He saw her He said, 'Be of good cheer, daughter; your faith has made you well.' The woman was made well from that hour." (Matthew 9 : 18-19 NKJV)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "The grass withers, the flower fades: but the word of our God shall stand for ever." (Isaiah 40:8)
1. US refuses to sell planes to Israel, fearing strike on Iran - Jerusalem Post
The United States has refused to sell Israel planes out of concern that it might be seen as encouraging an Israeli attack on Iran, Channel 10 reported on Wednesday evening.
2. Olmert: Israel will unleash all its force if Hezbollah siezes Lebanon - Ha'aretz
Prime Minister Ehud Olmert warned on Tuesday, if Lebanon were to become a terrorist state under the domination of Hezbollah, Israel would unleash more massive firepower at its disposal.
3. Huckabee: Israel shouldn't swap land - Jerusalem Post
Israel should not have to trade land for peace, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee said, as he explained to a small group of reporters Tuesday morning why he believed Israel should remain sovereign both in Jerusalem and the West Bank.
4. Huckabee: Obama Can't 'Fully Grasp' Israeli Politics - Fox News
Former Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee visiting Jerusalem on Monday, called John McCain the overwhelmingly better choice for Israel in the United States upcoming presidential elections.
Russian Attack in Prophecy
Russian Attack Clarifying Prophetic World Order
Some media pundits are saying that Russia is starting Cold War II, but in reality, the escalation of the Georgia conflict by Russia and the subsequent actions by NATO and the United States has the makings of a prophetic march toward fulfilling ancient Biblical prophecies pointing toward the end times. Ezekiel 38 and 39 speak of an attack by Russia on Israel. Russia is assisted by the Islamic nations of Iran, Libya and most of Northern Africa. The prophet Ezekiel speaks of the attack in Ezekiel 38:9, "Thou shalt ascend and come like a storm, thou shalt be like a cloud to cover the land, thou, and all thy bands, and many people with thee."
The cunning Prime Minister of Russia, Vladimir Putin, has chosen a very strategic time to invade Georgia and probe the world with his bayonet to see where he hits bone. The United States, who under its last two presidents has become the world's police department, is in its most vulnerable strategic position. The US is bogged down in a war against Islam, a bone-fide Russian ally. Moreover, the US war is being conducted in Iraq, the heart of Babylon, a crown in the former Persian Empire--a place many consider the heart of satan. Satan's strongholds are so powerful in this area, the Bible's prophet Daniel writes that Gabriel, the angel of the Lord, was withstood in battle against the Kings of Persia there for 21 days.
Putin's probe is a calculated risk in that he seems to believe the US and NATO will not lift a finger to help Georgia militarily because of being occupied by the Islamic front. Instead, the US has opted to place missile systems in the former Soviet states of Poland and the Czech Republic. This has drawn threats from Moscow that Poland risks being attacked by Russia, even with nuclear weapons. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice told reporters that NATO "is not going to permit a new line to be drawn in Europe." So far, Putin's risk seems to be rewarded. He has found that he can advance on another nation with words and diplomacy as the only resistance to his assault.
Taking inventory, Russia has chosen a military option in an area that no nation dare engage because it is the most defensible of the former Soviet Union. Because Islam has the forces of the West occupied in satan's heartland, there is little more than rhetoric to stand in Russia's way. The US and its allies are spread so thin in a long war of attrition that they haven't the will to take on a Russian advance. If Putin and his Islamic allies thrust the bayonet beyond the rhetoric, the world may quickly begin to see the true nature of the Russian-Islamic alliance manifesting itself in the Persian Gulf, where the power of oil, world dominance, and prophecy meet at the unwalled cities of Israel.
Word of Life Ministry www.dailyjot.com