· The Daily Brief
· The Middle East in Focus
· Prophetic Implications of Russian Invasion of Georgia
· U.S. Sends "Humanitarian Aid" to Georgia
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief Thursday, August 14, 2008
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases. . . " (Lam. 3:22)
The Daily Brief
1. Explosions Heard in Gori as Russian Troops Cripple Georgian Military - AP
Russia's foreign minister declared Thursday, that the world "can forget about" Georgia's territorial integrity, and American and Georgian officials said Russia appeared to be targeting military infrastructure - including radars and patrol boats at a Black Sea naval base and oil hub.
· Father, as the reports from this conflict change moment by moment, and Russia's true motive is revealed, we ask that You will intervene on behalf of the people of Georgia.
· "For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, but the Lord upholds the righteous." (Psalm 37:17)
2. US advises all Americans to leave Georgia - AP
WASHINGTON - The State Department is recommending that all U.S. citizens to leave Georgia due to ongoing Russian bombing of civilian and military targets despite Russia's claim to have halted military operations there.
· We thank You, Lord for safe passage of these Americans from the war zone.
· "He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble." (Psalm 91:15a)
3. New Iran claim: Unmanned 'smart' stealth sub - World Tribune.com
Iran has reported the development of an unmanned submarine. Officials said the unmanned underwater vessel was a stealth platform that could infiltrate enemy defenses. They said the unmanned submarine would be deployed in the Gulf.
· Father, whether this is bluster or truth, we trust in Your love for us, and that You will cut off the enemy from us.
· "Some trust in chariots, some in horses; but we will remember the name of the Lord our God." (Psalm 20:7)
4. U.S. ship heads for Arctic to define territory - Reuters
A U.S. Coast Guard cutter will embark on an Arctic voyage this week to determine the extent of the continental shelf north of Alaska and map the ocean floor, data that could be used for oil and natural gas exploration.
· Lord, with Russia also lurking in the Arctic regions in search of oil and gas, we pray your covering of protection over this American expedition. We pray that Your favor will rest on them, and Your heavenly Host will stand between them and any plan of the enemy.
· "Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, the power and the glory, the victory and the majesty; for all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours." (1 Chronicles 29:11)
5. Police: Suspect in Shooting of Party Chairman Had no Relationship to Victim - Fox News
The man who barged into the Arkansas Democratic Party headquarters in Little Rock and fatally shot the state party chairman appears to have had no relationship to the victim, local police told FOXNews.com on Thursday.
· Lord, as we grow closer to the election, we see that hatred has increased among us. We pray Your protection over all parties and all candidates; we loose Your mercy and visitation to those who do not know You, and we bind the plans of the enemy for this election process.
· "He will redeem their life from oppression and violence" (Psalm 72:14a)
6. Consumer Prices Shot Up in July - AP
Consumer prices shot up in July at twice the expected rate, pushed higher by surging energy and food costs. The latest surge left inflation running at the fastest pace in 17 years.
· Father, the years of greed in our nation are now caught up to us, and we repent for our foolishness. We pray for Your mercy over America, and Your help for the people of God. We ask for wisdom once again for our leaders, and revelation from Your Throne Room to show a path through the storm of economic disasters.
· "Concerning the works of men, by the word of Your lips, I have kept away from the paths of the destroyer." (Psalm 17:4)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE: "May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble; may the name of the God of Jacob defend you." (Psalm 20:1)
1. Israel gives U.S. green light to supply PA police with flak jackets - Ha'aretz
After months of delay, the United States has received the green light from Israel to supply flak jackets to Palestinian security forces, whose performance in the West Bank may hold the key to a future Israeli withdrawal.
2. Fearing Israeli strike, Syria taking preventative steps - Ha'aretz
Syria's leadership fears that a drill conducted Tuesday by the Israel Defense Forces in the Golan Heights may develop into a military offensive against Damascus, the Kuwaiti newspaper al-Watan reported Wednesday.
Prophetic Implications of Russian Invasion of Georgia
Russian Invasion of Georgia May Have Prophetic Implications
The Russian invasion of Georgia appears on the surface to be one of greed, revenge and regional politics. In pealing off the layers of stated reasons for the harsh military action, however, enmity is found between Russia and Israel that could have prophetic significance. Russia's flexing of its military muscle for the first time this century by swiftly dispatching firepower in the sovereign nation of Georgia brings it ever closer to the Ezekiel 38 prophecy where Gog, modern day Russia, ascends on Israel "like a cloud to cover the land." What many do not know is that Israel is a key player in the Russian invasion as it has incurred the wrath of Russia.
Russia is saying that it invaded South Ossetia to stop "ethnic cleansing" by the Georgia government. Not much is written about it, but most of the population there is Orthodox Christian with a growing Muslim minority. There seems to be no documentation that Christians are ridding the area of Muslims. Likewise, there doesn't seem to be a situation yet where the rising Muslim minority is cleansing the area of Christians. And Russia has no history of invading countries to stop the persecution of Christians. Russia does have a history of invading countries over their valuable natural resources, such as oil.
The Republic of Georgia is a strategic crossroads that controls the gas and oil pipelines bringing product from the Caspian Sea region. Israel owns a vital interest in these pipelines and has been negotiating with Georgia on a project to bring the pipelines through Turkey to Israel's Red Sea port of Eilat. Russia rejected an Israeli offer to participate in the project. According to security analyst DebkaFile, Georgia last year commissioned about a thousand private Israeli military advisors to train Georgian armed forces. Russia has repeatedly demanded that Israel halt this military assistance to Georgia. And DebkaFile reports that these advisors were "deeply involved" in the recent Georgia military efforts against Russia.
Russia has shown by this ruthless invasion that it will protect its own oil interests irrespective of whether there are other sovereign nations involved. This foray into Georgia where Israel is heavily involved could be yet another prophetic step toward the Ezekiel end time battle as it escalates growing ill will between Russia and Israel. Russia has shown that it will spare no firepower to attack a sovereign nation over a minute oil issue, involving Israel. What will Russia do over something incrementally greater? Ezekiel 39:9 says the weapons from such an attack will burn "with fire seven years." But Ezekiel 38:23 says that God "will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am the Lord."
Word of Life Ministrywww.dailyjot.com
U.S. Sends "Humanitarian Aid" to Georgia
U.S. SENDS AID TO GEORGIA AS RUSSIA VIOLATES CEASE-FIRE
Russian tanks pushed beyond the front lines toward Tbilisi on Wednesday, one day after the Kremlin agreed to a cease-fire arrangement that said its forces would pull back.
Russian forces occupied the town of Gori, then moved to another military base closer to Tbilisi, Georgia's capital, according to a Georgian national security council spokesman, Zurab Katchkatchishvili. They also burned Georgian coast guard vessels in the Black Sea port of Poti, Katchkatchishvili said. The actions made their point: the Russians could move their soldiers anywhere they wanted in Georgia, and no one was able to stop them. "Clearly their intention is to destroy all military bases and equipment before pulling out," Katchkatchishvili said in a phone interview.
The moves brought an angry response from the United States, with President Bush demanding that Moscow withdraw its forces from Georgia. He announced that U.S. military aircraft and ships will begin delivering humanitarian aid to the former Soviet republic in a "vigorous and ongoing" operation. Bush's decision, which could require the deployment of U.S. military units to Georgia to support the aid deliveries, potentially puts the United States and Russia on a collision course.
A U.S. Air Force C-17 cargo aircraft carrying humanitarian supplies is already on its way to Georgia and will be followed by other aircraft and by U.S. Navy ships bearing aid and medicines, Bush said. (mcclatchydc.com 8/13/08) [Source: Intercessors for America]
· Fatther God, as our military craft lands on Georgian' soil to provide humanitarian relief to those who are now suffering in that land, we ask the You would grant them an angelic covering of safety, and that the supplies needed would be able to be released to the people. We ask for clear communication and understanding now between the leaders of Russia and the United States, as we respond to this crisis, to that all can be done according to Your perfect will. We ask this in Jesus' name, amen.
· "He will give His angels charge over you, to protect you in all your ways." (Psalm 91:11)