P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
On Capitol Hill This Week
Volume XIV, Number 18b
July 9 - 13, 2007
Blessed be those servants whom the Lord when he cometh
shall find watching." (Luke 12:37)
CAPITOL HILL UPDATE: IRAQ FUNDING DEBATE RESUMES THIS WEEK
The Senate's defense authorization bill brings Iraq back into the congressional spotlight this week, with senators possibly voting on amendments to: start withdrawing troops in 120 days, with most out by next April; set minimum breaks for soldiers in between deployments; repeal the 2002 authorization to use force against Iraq; and put in place all 79 recommendations of the Iraq Study Group. (Source: www.citizenjoe.org)
Meanwhile, the Associated Press is reporting that President Bush is not contemplating withdrawing forces from Iraq now despite an erosion of support among Republicans for his war policy, the White House said Monday. The administration also tried to lower expectations about a report due Sunday on whether the Iraqi government is meeting political, economic and security benchmarks that Bush set in January when he announced a buildup of 21,500 U.S. combat forces. White House press secretary Tony Snow said that all of the additional troops had just gotten in place and it would be unrealistic to expect major progress now.
· Continue to pray in the Spirit over all matters related to this complex, difficult but winnable war. Praise God for the prayers of the saints, that avail much! · "Pray without ceasing." (II Thess. 5:17)
- SENATE MAY ATTEMPT TO OVERRIDE STEM CELL VETO THIS WEEK
- SENATE MAY DEBATE "HATE CRIME BILL" (S. 1105) THIS WEEK
- PLAN TO RESTORE FAIRNESS DOCTRINE STILL ON TRACK
- BOXER PLEDGES TO PUSH CLIMATE ACTION
- "IN GOD WE TRUST" RETURNED TO COINS
- COURT BACKS BUSH'S WIRETAPPING POLICY
- BUSH CALLS LIBBY'S PRISON TERM 'EXCESSIVE'
- PRESIDENT BUSH INVOKES EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE
- U.S. FEARS TERROR 'SPECTACULAR' PLANNED
- RUSSIA WATCH
- IRAN'S FIRST NUCLEAR POWER PLANT TO GO ONLINE SOON
- HINDU PRAYER WILL OPEN SENATE SESSION ON THURSDAY
1. SENATE MAY ATTEMPT TO OVERRIDE STEM CELL VETO THIS WEEK
The Senate, which passed the bill, 63-34, on April 11, will take the first shot at overriding the veto. After accounting for absentees in the last vote - which occurred before the death of bill opponent Craig Thomas, R-Wyo. - supporters calculated that they were one vote short of an override. Now that Wyoming once again has two senators, upon its return from the Independence Day recess, the Senate is expected to take up the veto override attempt of S. 5, the embryonic stem cell bill.
Even if the Senate garnered the votes, it is clear that House backers of the bill do not have the two-thirds majority vote needed to override the veto. They are, however, determined to keep pushing until the measure becomes law - a goal that almost certainly will not be reached under this president. "I hope and pray that the president will think differently this time about whether to sign the bill," said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., adding that "in the meantime, I think the American people will express their will." (Congressional Quarterly; CHPP Legislative Update)
· As the president's veto of this wicked bill is once again debated in the U.S. Senate, offer praise that our Lord has brought a new member to the Senate, Senator John Barrrasso from the State of Wyoming, who opposes embryonic stem cell research. Pray that the votes will be sufficient to sustain this veto, so that life will be honored in the Senate, and in the House.
· Pray that President Bush would remain steadfast in his promise to veto any bill that weakens current pro- life policy. (When this vote reaches the House, more than the 146 representatives needed to sustain a veto have pledged to support him.) Pray that all members who voted to protect life by voting against this legislation would stand strong on their votes to protect human life. · "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, [that] I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live." (Deut. 30:19)
2. SENATE MAY DEBATE "HATE CRIME BILL" (S. 1105) THIS WEEK
Advocates of a sweeping national "hate crimes" law are on the verge of victory in the U.S. Congress. With massive funding from the homosexual lobby, these advocates are moving one step closer to the day when the federal government will be able to investigate, and punish, politically incorrect speech and thoughts. Hate crimes laws now threaten free speech and religious liberty nationwide. They have the potential to "shut down churches and send pastors to prison for simply reading a part of the Bible," as Dr. D. James Kennedy has warned.
On May 3, 2007 HR-1592 (now S.1105), the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act of 2007 was passed in the House and will now go before the Senate. The premise of S.1105 is that the increase in hate crimes is becoming a serious national problem. This is simply not the case. In fact, these incidents have actually decreased. This new legislation has an agenda, and that agenda is to see sexual orientation elevated to the same status as race or gender.
Section 3 of S.1105 reads that, "at the request of State or local law enforcement agency, the Attorney General may provide technical, forensic, prosecutorial, or any other form of assistance in the criminal investigation or prosecution of any crime that is motivated by prejudice based on the actually or perceived . . . sexual orientation, gender identity or is a violation of the State or local hate crime laws." (Family Research Council; Cindy Jacobs; Bishop Harry Jackson)
· When we see headlines like this, we know that "the wolf is at the door." Take up the Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, and do warfare in the heavenlies against the passage of this wicked and dangerous legislation. Pray for, release and forgive those who are trying to advance this agenda, for they know not what they do. With clean hands and a pure heart, ask our God to release His angelic host to do battle on our behalf against the passage of this bill in the Senate. In the heavens at the beginning of time, only one-third fell with Satan; two-thirds are still on the side of God. Praise His Name!
· For the saints of God: PSALM 149. Regarding S. 1105: This far you may come but no further, and here shall your proud waves be stopped. (Job 38:10)
Call your Senator today! Speak out against S.1105 in less than a minute. Call 202-224-3121 and ask for the Senator from your state Tell them you do not support S.1105. Also, please support President Bush with your prayers and encouragement, as he intends to veto this bill.
3. PLAN TO RESTORE FAIRNESS DOCTRINE STILL ON TRACK
Liberal efforts to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine are "completely on track," and Democrats intend to push for the measure by linking talk radio to "hate crimes," according to a conservative media analyst. Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN) has proposed an amendment to appropriations legislation to prevent the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) from spending any money in 2008 to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine. The regulation that required broadcasters to present both sides of a controversial issue was enforced from 1949 to 1987, when the Reagan administration allowed it to lapse.
The House voted 309 to 115 to approve the Pence amendment, but Cliff Kincaid, editor of the conservative group Accuracy in Media, said even if the Senate passes the measure, "it would do absolutely nothing to stop a Democratic president and Congress from reinstating" the regulation. Kincaid argued that if Democrats gain control of both the White House and Congress, those same liberals would simply let the FCC reinstate the Fairness Doctrine. "This may be what is planned." To prevent that from happening, Kincaid urged Congress to pass the Broadcasters Freedom Act. The measure, also introduced by Pence, would legally prohibit the FCC or any future president from reinstating the Fairness Doctrine. Noting that this far-reaching bill had 111 co-sponsors compared to the 309 votes that Pence's earlier amendment attracted, Kincaid said this was because the amendment was largely symbolic, while the bill is "critical." "Without a massive public outpouring in favor of the first amendment comparable to the opposition to the immigration bill, the Broadcaster Freedom Act will die," he stated.
Democrats were in the meantime paving the way for the return of the Fairness Doctrine by requesting a federal study of how licensed broadcasting facilities have been used to "convey messages of bigotry or hatred, creating a climate of fear and inciting individuals to commit hate crimes. Rather than argue that conservative talk shows are one-sided, he said, Democrats in Congress will assert "that talk radio is hateful and causing injury and death to people."
Kincaid said one of those seeking a return of the Fairness Doctrine is Rep. John Dingell (D-MI), who has been quoted as saying that broadcasters should have no objection. "The Fairness Doctrine is an important, complex issue," Dingell said. "It concerns the first amendment and localism in the media. It is, in short, an issue that should first be considered by the authorizing committee." (CNSNEWS.com)
· Praise the Lord for editors like Cliff Kincaid, who can analyze the ramifications of Congressional bills. While the Fairness Doctrine bill will not pass during this Republican administration, it would during a Democratic, leftist one. Where would we then ever get fair presentation of the news, which even now is shackled by the owners of the media? Pray that the US citizenry will wake up to the fullness of probable actions of a very liberal Congress and executive administration. · " For the transgression of a land many are the princes thereof: but by a man of understanding and knowledge the state thereof shall be prolonged." (Proverbs 28:2)
4. BOXER PLEDGES TO PUSH CLIMATE ACTION
USES LIVE EARTH MOMENTUM TO ADVANCE AGENDA
The chairman of the Senate's primary environmental body on Friday praised former Vice President Al Gore's work in organizing the July 7 Live Earth concert series and renewed a pledge to push global warming legislation through Congress. "It is a momentous occasion when two billion people are joined together by a common issue and by a common goal," Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) said in a conference call with reporters. "This is an issue that challenges us as the human race to set aside whatever our differences are and save our home, which is the planet Earth."
Boxer said "people all over the world understand that action on global warming is needed now" and pledged to use momentum from the Live Earth events to use the Environment and Public Works (EPW) Committee to present legislative solutions to climate change issues, most notably emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), the gas most often blamed for climate change. (CNSNews.com)
· God of Truth, we ask forgiveness for all those spreading false fear concerning "global warming." We ask You, Father God, to make known the truth about "global warming" through a myriad of scientists world wide. Cause this truth to also be "conveniently" made known to Senator Barbara Boxer, Al Gore and others who are being misled. We ask for Your will Lord, In Jesus Name. Amen. · "But thou, O Lord, art a God full of compassion and gracious, long suffering, and plentious in mercy and Truth."(Psalm 86:15)
5. "IN GOD WE TRUST" RETURNED TO COINS
According to a report in the publication The Hill, the words "In God We Trust" may no longer be hidden on the side rims of newly minted dollar coins, thanks to an amendment to the House Financial Services appropriations bill. The report states that Rep. Roger Wicker of Mississippi said the amendment, which passed two weeks ago by a 295-127 vote, aims to correct what he believed was an unintentional error made by Congress when it passed legislation to create the dollar coin in 2005. "At no point did anyone explain that [the words] would not be on the face of the coin," said Wicker. (The Hill)
· We are so grateful Father God for the passage of this amendment, which places "IN GOD WE TRUST" back on the face of our dollar coins. In Jesus Mighty Name, we confidently decree, "that each person that holds in hand a dollar coin will truly learn to put their trust in You, Almighty God"! · They that trust in the Lord shall be as mount Zion which cannot be removed but will abide forever." (Psalm 125:1)
6. COURT BACKS BUSH'S WIRETAPPING POLICY
A federal appeals court panel in Cincinnati yesterday dismissed a lawsuit challenging President Bush's domestic terrorist surveillance program, ruling that those who brought the suit - led by the American Civil Liberties Union - did not have the legal authority to do so. In a 2-1 decision, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit panel did not rule on the legality of the surveillance program but vacated a 2006 order by a lower court in Detroit that found the post- September 11 program to be unconstitutional, violating rights to privacy and free speech and the separation of powers.
Sen. Patrick J. Leahy (D-VT), chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, called the ruling "disappointing." "There is a dark cloud over the White House's warrantless wiretapping program, and a full response to the outstanding subpoena from the Senate Judiciary Committee by this administration would be a good start to clearing the air and moving forward in ways that allow us to better protect against terrorists while honoring the rule of law and the liberties of law-abiding Americans," Mr. Leahy said. (Washington Times)
· Praise the Lord that a federal court ruled correctly against the ACLU and its plaintiff. The ACLU has led so many manufactured lawsuits and intimidated so many defendants that it lacks credibility with many American citizens. Pray that God protects our liberties and that we do not carelessly relinquish the freedoms which He has given us. · "The evil bow before the good; and the wicked at the gates of the righteous." (Proverbs 14:19)
7. BUSH CALLS LIBBY'S PRISON TERM 'EXCESSIVE'
President Bush's political opponents now have another reason to rail against him. They're blasting him for commuting the prison sentence of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, a good friend and former chief of staff to V.P.Cheney. Libby was convicted as part of the Valerie Plame probe even though, as it turned out, Libby had nothing to do with the main complaint -- blowing Plame's cover as a covert CIA agent. Rather, Libby was convicted of perjury and lying to a federal grand jury when he was questioned in connection with the Plame probe.
On Monday, President Bush, waiting until Libby's appeals were exhausted, said Libby's imminent imprisonment prompted him to act. Bush noted that Libby was sentenced to thirty months of prison, two years of probation, and a 0,000 fine - - a stiffer sentence than the probation office recommended. Bush said the decision to commute Libby's sentence, rather than pardon him, "does not undo the "harsh punishment" for Libby. "The Constitution gives the President the power of clemency to be used when he deems it to be warranted. It is my judgment that a commutation of the prison term in Mr. Libby's case is an appropriate exercise of this power," Bush said.
However, Democrats in Congress are smelling blood. Sen. Leahy (D-VT), the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, agreed on Monday that the president is acting within his constitutional powers in commuting Libby's prison sentence. "But accountability has been in short supply in the Bush Administration, and this commutation fits that pattern," Leahy said in a news release. "It is emblematic of a White House that sees itself as being above the law." House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) accused President Bush of condoning criminal conduct and betraying the trust of the American people. (CNSNews.com)
· Praise the Lord for some justice being exercised for Mr. Libby. Prosecutor Fitzpatrick knew that he had no case against Scooter Libby but wanted to punish the Bush administration anyway. Even the 0,000 fine for contempt to the federal grand jury seems excessive, but it has been paid. Pray for Mr. Libby and his family that their lives may be stabilized. We want the Lord to expose any secret harm done by any person, but created attacks and news for political advantage must be stopped. Contend for truth. · "They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them."
8. PRESIDENT BUSH INVOKES EXECUTIVE PRIVILEGE
President Bush on Monday rejected subpoenas for two former White House aides and invoked executive privilege, increasing the likelihood of a constitutional showdown.
"The president feels compelled to assert executive privilege with respect to the testimony sought from Sara M. Taylor and Harriet E. Miers," White House counsel Fred Fielding wrote in a letter to the chairmen of the House and Senate Judiciary committees.
"The assertion of executive privilege here is intended to protect a fundamental interest of the presidency: the necessity that a president receive candid advice from his advisers and that those advisers be able to communicate freely and openly with the president, with each other and with others inside and outside the executive branch," Fielding wrote.
· Clearly, the war between the executive branch and the legislative branch is heating up once again. Pray over all issues that arise between the two, asking that all be done decently and in order, and according to the Constitution. Ask that grace be mixed with accountability as justice is served, so that all affairs of state may go forth unhindered. Pray! · They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said, "All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!" (John 8:7 NLT)
9. U.S. FEARS TERROR 'SPECTACULAR' PLANNED
A secret U.S. law enforcement report, prepared for the Department of Homeland Security, warns that al Qaeda is planning a terror "spectacular" this summer, according to a senior official with access to the document. "This is reminiscent of the warnings and intelligence we were getting in the summer of 2001," the official told ABCNews.com. U.S. officials have kept the information secret, and Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said today on ABC News' "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" that the United States did not have "have any specific credible evidence that there's an attack focused on the United States at this point." (ABC News; Intercessors for America)
Offer thanksgiviing for the mercy shown to British authorities and citizens as car bombs failed to ignite and explode, saving hundreds of lives. Ask the Lord to grace intelligence agencies in the United States and worldwide with direction and supernatural action to thwart terror activities. May the attempts to kill and destroy fail and be exposed.
"They band themselves together against the life of the righteous And condemn the innocent to death. But the LORD has been my stronghold, And my God the rock of my refuge. He has brought back their wickedness upon them And will destroy them in their evil; The LORD our God will destroy them."(Psalm 94:21-23)
10. RUSSIA WATCH: RUSSIA TO RESPOND IF U.S. REJECTS KREMLIN'S MISSILE-DEFENSE PLAN
Speaking to reporters in Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan, First Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said Russia will cancel plans to deploy missiles in its Kaliningrad enclave if the United States accepts a Kremlin plan for a European missile-defense system. The Russian Baltic enclave is surrounded by Poland and Lithuania, both NATO members.
Ivanov's statement carries the implied threat of an arms race in response to an American plan to deploy missiles in Poland and a radar installation in the Czech Republic. The United States says the system would guard against a possible attack by Iran. Ivanov says his country's proposal is better for NATO than America's. Ivanov says that Russia together with the NATO allies can create a system that would defend not just some NATO members, but all of them. He says the American plan will not defend all.
Ivanov's statement follows a proposal made by Russian President Vladimir Putin during his meeting with President Bush in Kennebunkport, Maine. The proposal would add a radar facility in southern Russia to an earlier proposal for a Russian radar facility in Azerbaijan, a former Soviet republic that borders Iran. Ivanov's statement represents a Russian carrot and stick: Accept our proposal, he says, and the term 'Cold War' will be forgotten. Reject it, and we will deploy missiles against you. (Voice of America News)
· According to these brash statements, Russia must think that she is in the driver's seat and that the USA must be a passenger if there is to be any progress forward. Pray that our Department of Defense and the Congress look at these Russian statements very carefully and just as boldly respond. Pray for a cooling down of the rhetoric. Why would the USA trust Russia when she is working fully with Iran? · "Behold, God is [our] helper: the Lord is with them that uphold [our]soul. He shall reward evil unto [our] enemies: cut them off in Thy truth."(Psalm 54:4,5)
11. IRAN'S FIRST NUCLEAR POWER PLANT TO GO ONLINE SOON
Russian news agencies are reporting that Iran will put its first nuclear power plant online shortly after the Russian-built facility is completed in September. The news agencies Itar-Tass and Interfax quoted Iranian officials last Tuesday as saying that the nuclear facility in Bushehr will be completed in two months. The officials said the facility will begin generating electricity shortly after completion.
U.S. President George Bush and Russian President Vladimir Putin pledged after a meeting on Monday in Maine to cooperate with attempts to curb Iran's nuclear programs. They pledged to work with the U.N. Security Council to encourage Iran to stop uranium enrichment. (Voice of America News)
· Who is speaking the truth - Russia's news agencies or Russian President Putin? Someone is lying, and it is probably Mr. Putin. Without God in the heart and spirit, lying is totally acceptable. Pray that our intelligence agencies are paying attention and that the USA responds to this news appropriately. Ask the Lord to interrupt these reported plans for functioning nuclear facilities in Iran. Pray that any completion of nuclear facilities be post-Ahmadinejad. · "Consume them in wrath, consume them, that they may not be; and let them know that God ruleth in Jacob unto the ends of the earth." (Psalm 59:13)
12. HINDU PRAYER WILL OPEN SENATE SESSION ON THURSDAY
..Rajan Zed, a Hindu chaplain from Nevada
For what is believed to be the first time in its history, the U.S. Senate will on July 12 be opened with a Hindu prayer, the Senate Chaplain's Office confirmed Monday. For more than 200 years, the Senate has opened each workday with a prayer usually delivered by the Senate Chaplain, currently Barry Black, a Seventh Day Adventist. It is common, however, for senators to recommend religious leaders from their home states to serve as guest chaplains.
Rajan Zed, a Hindu chaplain from Nevada, on will become the first Hindu to deliver the morning prayer. In a statement announcing his scheduled appearance, Zed called the occasion "an illustrious day for all Americans and a memorable day for us." Zed has previously offered prayers to open sessions of the Nevada State Assembly and Nevada State Senate in March and May of this year respectively. According to reports, he was the first Hindu to deliver opening prayers in any state legislature in the U.S. (CNSNews.com)
· We have learned that, whenever a U.S. Senator would like to invite a chaplain from his home state to offer the opening prayer in the Senate, the Senate Chaplain (Dr. Barry Black) does not have the right to turn down this request. Offer prayer for Chaplain Black at this difficult time; and join us in decreeing that, under the Blood of Jesus, the words uttered by Rajan Zed in the Senate Chamber on Thursday morning will bear no fruit. Ask our Lord to forgive the senator who has put this into motion, for he knows not what he does. · "You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world." (I John 4:4) "Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it." (Col. 3:15)
[Note: we invite all of you to "watch" over this prayer on CSPAN on Thursday morning, praying in the Spirit at that time.]
UPRIGHT ONE (Yah-shahr)
"The path of the righteous is level, O upright One.You make the path of the righteous smooth.
O Father, O Upright One, You who dwell in righteousness, how I praise You. Thank You that everything that You do is perfect and right. There is no favoritism in You; just and true are all Your ways. I thank You for Your blessings in my life.
(Taken from: Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God, by Barri Cae Malin and Shmuel Wolkenfeld; Bridge-Logos Publishers; Gainesville, FL, 32614. ISBN: 0-88270-801-5)