CHPP Daily Brief: "Praying for All in Authority" Wednesday, June 22, 2016
Congressman Doug Lamborn Introduces
H.J. Res. 790: Calling for a National Day
of Personal Reflection and Repentance
SATURDAY, JULY 2, 2016
Details below! (Action Requested)
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Wednesday, June 22, 2016
"Standing Together in the Kingdom of God . . .
Under the Cross of Christ"
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." (Philippians 4:8)
This week, we will publish three special editions of the Daily Brief. These will be "streamlined" editions and will include these sections:
1. The Daily Brief
2. The Middle East in Focus
3. Ramadan Prayers
4. Today's Worship
Next week, we expect to be back to our regular format. Thank you!
"See, the LORD rides on a swift cloud . . ." (Isaiah 19:1)
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
1. IDF mistakenly kills 15-year old Palestinian, wounds another responding to stone throwing attack - Jerusalem Post
The IDF is investigating the shooting death of a 15-yearold and the wounding of four other Palestinians teens, who were driving near a violent stone-throwing incident early Tuesday.
Six teens and their driver, all cousins, were on their way home from a late-night swim at a pool in the Palestinian village of Beit Sira, not far from their home town of Beit Ur al-Tahta, located in the West Bank, five km. east of Modi'in.
The car had gone on a Palestinian road heading under Route 443, just as soldiers were shooting at what they believed to be suspects who had thrown stones and Molotov cocktails at cars on the Israeli road, which is a main artery between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
2. Israel wants someone to build a $5 billion island off Gaza - for a seaport, hotels, airport - Washington Post
JERUSALEM - The Israeli government is considering a proposal to build an artificial island off the Gaza Strip that a top official says would give Palestinians living in the besieged enclave their one and only seaport - and maybe a hotel and an international airport, too.
The Israeli minister of intelligence who is promoting the plan, Israel Katz, said the Jewish state is actively seeking financial partners for the $5 billion project.
Katz mentioned the Saudis and Chinese as possible builders of the port - or maybe a mysterious Israeli entrepreneur. He declined to name names.
3. Israeli Party Leader Yair Lapid: UN Spends American Money, Resources on Propaganda Campaign for Annihilation of Jewish State - Algemeiner
The United Nations takes American money, resources and support and uses them for a propaganda campaign to further the annihilation of the Jewish state, an Israeli parliamentarian said on Monday, the Hebrew news site nrg reported.
MK Yair Lapid, chairman of the centrist Yesh Atid party, made this statement at the second annual "Towards a New Law of War" conference in Jerusalem, sponsored by Shurat HaDin-The Israel Law Center.
Calling for a halt in the flow of money into the international body, Lapid said, "The United States funds 22 percent of the UN's budget. In fact, six countries - the US, Japan, France, the UK, Italy and Germany - fund more than 65% of the organization's budget."
According to Lapid, "The UN has lost it where Israel is concerned. It has lost its credibility, its healthy logic and its most important asset - integrity."
4. Israeli official optimistic about American aid agreement - Israel National News
An Israeli official on Monday evening expressed optimism about the chances of Israel and the United States reaching an agreement on the American military aid package to Israel.
"The gaps between the United States and Israel regarding the aid package are not significant," the official said, noting that in order to formulate a multi-year plan for the IDF, "it would be better to sign the agreement as soon as possible."
The official, who spoke following Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman's meeting at the Pentagon with his American counterpart Ashton Carter, added that the meeting was a very positive one and that Liberman was even flown from New York to Washington in the Pentagon's special plane.
5. Jordan declares Syria border 'military zone' after bombing - Israel National News
Jordan on Tuesday evening declared the desert border regions with Syria and Iraq "military zones" barred to civilians, after a suicide bomber killed six Jordanian soldiers near the Syrian frontier earlier in the day.
King Abdullah II had earlier vowed to hit back with an "iron fist" after meeting top civilian and military officials to discuss the attack in an area where thousands of Syrian refugees are stranded.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility but Jordan is part of the American-led coalition fighting the Islamic State (ISIS) group in Syria and Iraq, and has been targeted by ISIS jihadists before.
6. Insight for Intercessors - Weekly Update
To read this alert, please go here.
The Daily Brief
Every prayer below is presented to our Lord in the Name of Jesus Christ, amen.
1. Thrilling Christian conservative audience, Trump vows to lift ban on politicking, appoint antiabortion judges - Washington Post
Donald Trump won a standing ovation from hundreds of Christian conservatives who came to New York City on Tuesday with a somewhat skeptical but willing attitude toward a man who has divided their group with comments on women, immigrants and Islam. In his comments, the presumptive GOP presidential nominee said he would end the decades-old ban on tax-exempt groups' - including churches - politicking, called religious liberty "the No. 1 question," and promised to appoint antiabortion Supreme Court justices.
"I think maybe that will be my greatest contribution to Christianity - and other religions - is to allow you, when you talk religious liberty, to go and speak openly, and if you like somebody or want somebody to represent you, you should have the right to do it," Trump said. A ban was put in place by then-U.S. senator Lyndon Johnson on tax-exempt groups making explicit political endorsements. Religious leaders in America today, Trump said, "are petrified." (Read more)
- Father God, we pray for all candidates for president, that their policies and promises would line up with Your Word, and Your Word only. Father God, Your Word is the plumbline of all Truth, and we, as a people, are desperate to see Your Word honored in the public square.
- "For out of Zion shall go forth the law, And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem." (Isaiah 2:3)
2. Today's [Yesterday's] Meeting With Trump - Gary Bauer
. . . - In this meeting, Trump recapped his basic agenda. But I must say he spoke far more emphatically than I have ever heard him. For example, he vowed to rebuild our military, saying it would be far more expensive if we failed to do so because weakness invites war.
- As one might expect, Trump took a number of questions about major religious liberty issues in the news. He consistently referred to his list of judges, which has been widely praised by leading conservative organizations. Trump noted that they were pro-life, and that the courts were the key to addressing this problem because left-wing judges were the ones forcing this nonsense on the country. He is absolutely right.
- Trump also brought up the 1954 Johnson Amendment to the tax code. The amendment was authored by then-Senator Lyndon Johnson to muzzle pastors. Trump said he would work to repeal the Johnson Amendment so that religious leaders would no longer be afraid to speak up.
- Trump expressed 100% support for Israel, and ripped Obama for tilting U.S. policy toward Iran and against our most reliable ally. He promised that would end on the first day of his administration.
- Addressing concerns about his proposal to restrict Muslim immigration, Trump was unapologetic. He reiterated the need to be absolutely certain that our immigration policies are not putting Americans at risk. That is not xenophobia or bigotry. It's just common sense! (Read more . . . and other articles by Gary Bauer, posted yesterday, here.)
- Father, we thank You for those from among us who have been eyewitnesses to this historic meeting yesterday. Their reports seem to have a consistent theme of quiet or enthusiastic support for this candidate. May we weigh each issue carefully before You, as the time draws near to each make our own decision when we cast our votes this fall. Amen.
- "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him." (James 1:5)
3. Trump Announces New "Evangelical Advisory Board" - Breaking Israel News
Presumptive GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump announced on Tuesday that his campaign is establishing an evangelical executive advisory board, composed of 25 faith leaders who will advise him on issues "important to evangelicals and other people of faith in America," read the statement. The announcement stressed that the advisors chosen were not asked to endorse Trump, but to meet his "desire to have access to the wise counsel of such leaders".
"I have such tremendous respect and admiration for this group and I look forward to continuing to talk about the issues important to evangelicals, and all Americans, and the common sense solutions I will implement when I am President," Trump said of the new board, which will convene on a "regular basis." (To read the list of these 25 members, please go here.)
- Lord God, we do thank You that Donald Trump is now reaching out to the evangelical community and is listening carefully to our concerns as citizens of this nation. We pray that this new relationship between Mr. Trump and this new committee would be productive and bear fruit for Your Kingdom purposes. Amen.
- "For want of counsel purposes are frustrated; but in the multitude of counsellors they are established." (Proverbs 15:22)
4. 'Glimmer of hope' seen for compromise U.S. gun control bill - Reuters
Senate Republican leaders said Tuesday they'll soon bring a compromise gun control bill to the floor, after lawmakers defeated four partisan gun measures in response to the latest in a string of mass shootings.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he would schedule a vote on a bill by fellow Republican Senator Susan Collins that would prevent about 109,000 people on "no-fly" and other surveillance lists from purchasing guns. Collins said she expected a vote on the bill this week or next. (Read more)
- Father, we ask for Your wisdom to be given to those who need to understand the ramifications of such legislation, and make a decision regarding its passage. We pray that they will not play politics, but would rather do what is best for their constituents, and the country as a whole. We know the real culprit here is the evil in men's hearts, and pray for them to rethink their evil plans and submit to You, receiving You as their Savior and Deliverer. In Your Name we pray, Amen.
- "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you." (Psalm 32:8)
5. Senate Likely to Pass FBI Spying Bill After Orlando Shooting - Yahoo News The U.S. Senate on Wednesday is likely to pass a Republican-backed proposal to expand the Federal Bureau of Investigation's secretive surveillance powers after the mass shooting at an Orlando gay nightclub last week. The legislation would broaden the type of telephone and internet records the FBI could request from companies like Alphabet Inc and Verizon without a warrant. The bill, which the Obama administration has sought for years, "will allow the FBI to collect the dots so they can connect the dots, and that's been the biggest problem that they've had in identifying these homegrown, radicalized terrorists,'" Senator John Cornyn, the chamber's No. 2 Republican, said Tuesday. (Read more)
- Abba, we thank You for this piece of legislation before the Senate today, to expand the FBI's surveillance powers after the nightclub shooting last week. We pray that it may be implemented swiftly and be effective in identifying homegrown radicalized terrorists. We ask that You continue to comfort those who have been injured in this incident, and also the families and friends of those who lost loved ones. We ask You to expose the darkness in the souls of those who would commit such acts, and shine Your floodlights on the need for salvation and restoration upon them, for your glory and their good. In Your name we pray, Amen.
- "The heart is deceitful above all things, And desperately wicked; Who can know it? I, the Lord, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings." (Jeremiah 17:8-10)
6. Smithsonian will mount first-ever major US Quran exhibit - Yahoo News
The Quran will be the centerpiece of an American art exhibit for the first time this fall, when the Smithsonian will feature beautifully decorated manuscripts of Islam's central religious text. "The Art of the Qur'an: Treasures from the Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts" will display 48 manuscripts and folios that span a millennium, from the 7th to the 17th century, and demonstrate a staggering variety of calligraphy and illumination styles. (Read more)
- Oh, Lord God of Israel, and our God, we praise You that You are our God, and there is none other! We ask, that as people view this display of the quran on display at the Smithsonian, that they will not be mesmerized and deceived by its apparent beauty, but will recognize that this is not the God of the Bible, and not worthy of their prayers or subservience. We ask You to reveal Yourself to these people as the One true God, Who loves them and died for them. May they be inspired and drawn by the Holy Spirit to worship You alone and serve You, we pray in Your wonderful name, Amen.
- "Who is a god like Me? I have always told you what will happen. You are My witnesses. There is no other God but Me. I know of no other Rock; I am the only One." (Isaiah 44:7-9)
7. In Southern California, Firefighters Jump from one Forest Blaze to the Next - LA Times
Improving weather conditions overnight have diverted resources from a brush fire burning in Santa Barbara County to a pair of blazes burning above communities in the San Gabriel Valley foothills and a third in San Diego County, where hundreds of homes . . . San Gabriel Complex fire remains at 10 percent containment. (Read more)
- Father, as these fires have now merged, we ask that You would send reinforcements to these firefighters, both human and angelic, to be able to bring this fire under control. We ask that no lives be lost, and for protection of the properties of those being threatened by this blaze. We ask You, especially, to send rain in abundance upon that dry land, and save lives, both human and animals, as well as vegetation and trees. You are the God of the whole earth, and we ask You to save Your people, and show Yourself strong on their behalf. In Your Name we ask, Amen.
"Because he loves Me, I will rescue him; because he knows My name, I will protect him. He will call on Me, and I will answer him. I will be with him when he is in trouble. I will extricate him and bring him honor. I will satisfy him with long life and show him My salvation." (Psalm 91:14-16)
8. Putin says Russia must strengthen as 'aggressive' NATO approaches - Jerusalem Post
"NATO is strengthening its aggressive rhetoric and its aggressive actions near our borders," Putin said in a speech in the lower house of parliament. "In these conditions, we are duty-bound to pay special attention to solving the task of strengthening the combat readiness of our country." (Read more)
- Lord, more "sabre rattling" by Russia in their on-going effort to restore dominance in that region of the world. We realize that Putin wants to return to their former policy of a dictatorship, and "glory". As they strengthen their combat ability, it is a threat to the nations around them and also to Israel. We pray for the salvation of Putin, and ask for Your protection of their enemies. Amen.
- "The king of the North will do whatever he wants. He will brag about himself and praise himself and think he is even better than a god. He will say things against the God of gods that no one has ever heard. And he will be successful until all the bad things have happened. Then what God has planned to happen will happen." (Daniel 11:36)
(Bonus) The Daily Jot
Wednesday, June 22, 2016
The slippery slope of appeasing terror
US Attorney General Loretta Lynch tried to hide from the public the transcript of the Orlando terrorist's 911 call announcing that his killings were to the glory of allah and his allegiance to the Islamic State. Lynch told NBC News' Meet the Press Sunday, June 19, that a transcript of the call would be released, but it would not contain the references to "this man's pledges of allegiance to terrorist groups." The "president" also omitted any reference to radical Islam alluding to the Orlando, saying "there is no magic to the phrase 'radical Islam.'" Tuesday, Lynch addressed a crowd in Orlando saying that "Our most effective response to terror and to hatred is compassion, it's unity and it's love." Really?
This "president" and his administration took the US on a journey with Islam starting with the "president's" New Beginnings speech in Cairo on June 4, 2009. Among many false statements about the historic relationship between Islam and America, the "president" punctuated his falsehoods, saying, "America is not-and never will be-at war with Islam." The New York Post's Paul Sperry writes, "America has now averaged one serious Islamic terrorist attack a year on [sic] the president's watch, yet he still insists the threat from radical Islam is overblown and that he's successfully protecting the nation." The Administration's love, honor, respect, cover-up approach to defeating terror is only emboldening terror.
After public outcry, the Justice Department and the FBI had to reverse Lynch's course and release the full transcript of the Orlando terrorist's 911 call. In explaining why, the joint statement read: "The purpose of releasing the partial transcript of the shooter's interaction with 911 operators was to provide transparency, while remaining sensitive to the interests of the surviving victims, their families, and the integrity of the ongoing investigation. We also did not want to provide the killer or terrorist organizations with a publicity platform for hateful propaganda." When does a partial transcript provide transparency? Also within minutes of the attack, Islamists used it as propaganda without any transcript. Empty words.
The idea that Islam can be defeated with love; the pledge that the US will never be at war with Islam; the redacting of the words about Islam from terrorist transcripts; all point to an appeasement strategy that the history of Islam proves is impotent. Further, substituting "God" for "allah" only signals submission to Islam by the nation with the largest population of Christians on earth. This administration's policies on Islam are a death threat to every law-abiding citizen. As written in Jeremiah 6:14, "They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace." Some translations say they offer only superficial treatment for the destruction of the daughter of my people. In short, this administration may not be at war with Islam, but Islam is at war with us. And, maybe, so is this administration.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
BULLETIN: Congress Calls for Repentance
H. RES. 790:
Expressing support for designation of July 2, 2016, as the
''National Day of Personal Reflection and Repentance''.
JUNE 16, 2016
Mr. LAMBORN (for himself, Mrs. HARTZLER, and Mr. FRANKS of Arizona) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform
Expressing support for designation of July 2, 2016, as the ''National Day of Personal Reflection and Repentance''.
Whereas, on July 4, 1776, the Continental Congress approved the language of the Declaration of Independence, and we now annually celebrate July 4 as Independence Day;
Whereas two days earlier on July 2, 1776, Congress voted to dissolve all ties with Great Britain and become an independent Nation;
Whereas John Adams said that July 2 ''ought to be commemorated as a day of deliverance by solemn act of devotion to God Almighty'';
Whereas this practice of offering ''solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty'' become an oft-repeated precedent across the centuries of our history;
[Read additional historic details here, including the decree of Abraham Lincoln calling our nation to a day of repentance] . . .
Resolved, That the House of Representatives, in following the numerous wholesome and positive examples set by previous Congresses and presidents-
H.RES. 790 IH
(1) supports the designation of a ''National Day of Personal Reflection and Repentance''; and
(2) calls upon the people of the Nation to humble themselves as they see fit before our Creator to
(3) repent of our national sins and acknowledge our firm dependence upon Him.
> > > The three cosponsors of this resolution have now circulated a letter that is going through Congress, asking for more members to cosponsor H.Res.790. (This is standard protocol.)
With events within and without our land rapidly spinning out of control, only a time of nationwide, personal repentance . . . each in our own homes . . . may yet cause our Lord to have mercy upon our land and heal our people, according to 2 Chronicles 7:14.
It is written:
" . . . if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners wishes to express our gratitude to Congressmen Lamborn for taking the lead on this bill. We ask all of our prayer partners to please call your own member of Congress TOMORROW and ask him or her to please sign onto this important bill. Call the Congressional switchboard and ask to be connected to your own member of Congress in the House of Representatives. That number is: 202-224-3121.
The target date, based upon the historic precedent set in place by James Madison on July 2, 1776, is at the end of next week: Saturday, July 2nd, 2016.
To read the letter being circulated through Congress, asking support for H. Res. 790, go here.
To read the actual text of H. Res. 790, go here.
A Message from Rep. Lamborn
A Message from Rep. Lamborn:
Released by "Prayer Partners for Lamborn"
(Published by permission)
There is substantial historical precedent for national repentance and seeking God's forgiveness and favor. Presidents John Adams, James Madison, and Abraham Lincoln all declared days of repentance during their presidencies. As it is written in Chronicles 7:14 "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Prayers During Ramadan:
Wednesday, June 22: IRAN
Known as Persia until 1935, today's Islamic Republic of Iran is predominately Muslim (98%), mostly Shi'ite. With its proximity to Arabic speaking countries, it is often perceived to be Arabic, but Iran is Persian. The Elamites, descendants of Noah's son Shem, first settled in the area and were followed by the Medes and Persians who established an ancient civilization and world empire. The Bible records the names of some of its most famous: Cyrus the Great, Darius, and Xerxes. Over the centuries, the Persian language (Farsi) and culture have prevailed even with many conquerors crossing through this land. Persians comprise over sixty percent of the 79 million people in Iran and it's as 'Persians' that many identify themselves. With coastlines on the Caspian Sea in the north and the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman in the south, Iran's large land mass is politically strategic as it shares borders with Iraq, Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Geographically in the Middle East and Central Asia, Iran is a recognized regional power.
The 1979 Islamic Revolution overthrew the twenty-five-hundred-year-old monarchy and converted Iran into a Shi'ite Muslim, cleric-ruled country. A year later, Iraq attacked Iran and an 8-year war followed, helping solidify the rule of the Muslim clerics (Ayatollahs) and worsening the already hurting economy. Currently, Iran's over dependence on the country's rich oil and natural gas exports, a significant increase in the birth rate in the 80's, and economic reforms that fell short of their targets have resulted in high unemployment and underemployment, double-digit inflation, and almost 20% of the people living in poverty. Furthermore Iran's questionable nuclear program along with its geographic location and attitude toward Israel has stirred up considerable worldwide political concerns for the stability of the region and has resulted in economic sanctions and continued close scrutiny of all Iranian political activities.
In Iran all ethnic Persians and those from Muslim backgrounds (even if not practicing) are considered Muslims. Anyone who converts to Christianity is declared an apostate and could face death. The Iranian constitution recognizes the historic minority religions of Zoroastrianism, Judaism, and Christianity, but it does not allow churches to preach or distribute materials in Farsi and proselytizing is forbidden. Yet, the number of Muslim background believers coming to Christ in Iran continues to grow greatly regardless of certain persecution. Believers and non-believers are having Holy Spirit-inspired dreams and visions and are seeing wonders. Many are curious about the Bible, but Bibles and Christian printed materials in Farsi are illegal. Smuggled Farsi Bibles and materials are quickly put to use. The Internet and broadcasts by radio and satellite TV are providing encouragement, resources, and training for believers as more come to Christ and more underground house churches are established.
- Pray for a great harvest resulting from faithful believers sharing bold accounts of their faith.
- Pray for the church to rapidly multiply and mature despite horrendous persecution against non-Muslim peoples.
- Pray for Christians to capitalize on unprecedented opportunities to spread the Gospel via Internet, TV, and media.
Worship Him together . . . here . . .
Election 2016: Prayer Resources
"Choose some wise, understanding and respected men from each of your tribes, and I will set them over you." (Deuteronomy 1:13)
> > > Please find below the Election Prayer Resources that have been recently added to our list. To view the archive section, go here.
To view our recently archived articles, go here.
To view the most recently archived resources, go here.