CHPP Daily Brief: "Praying for All in Authority" June 12 and 13, 2016
Due to the horrific Islamic terrorist
attack this morning in Orlando, we
will publish our Monday edition now.
Our next Brief will be sent to you
on Tuesday. - the editor
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
June 12 and 13, 2016
"Standing Together in the Kingdom of God . . .
Under the Cross of Christ"
"The LORD is King for ever and ever . . ." (Psalm 10:16)
"See, the LORD rides on a swift cloud . . ." (Isaiah 19:1)
Terror Attack in Orlando
Terror Attack in Orlando:
50 Dead; 53 Injured
Today we lift up a prayer for those who are grieving the loss of these victims of Islamic terror. May each one be drawn to our Lord for comfort, to find grace to help in time of need, and to draw from the wellsprings of His love. May they come to salvation, Lord, in Your name and through the gift of Your precious shed Blood.
We lift up those who are now investigating this crime, asking that all be revealed and that more attacks that may be planned by thwarted. In the Name of Jesus, amen and amen.
1. 50 killed at gay nightclub; deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history - CNN
Orlando shooting suspect Omar Mateen was interviewed by the FBI in 2013 and 2014, FBI Assistant Special Agent Ronald Hopper told reporters Sunday. "Those interviews turned out to be inconclusive, so there was nothing to keep the investigation going," Hopper said. Mateen was not under investigation at the time of Sunday's shooting and was not under surveillance, Hopper said.
An American-born man who'd pledged allegiance to ISIS gunned down 50 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando -- the deadliest mass shooting in the United States and the nation's worst terror attack since 911, authorities said Sunday. (Read more)
2. ISIS Announced Florida Threat THREE Days Ago: "We Will Attack Florida" - The Gateway Pundit
Shoebat.com reported on the threat three days ago. ISIS Muslim terrorists released a statement on their plan to attack Florida, and even put out a list with the names of people in Florida that they plan on killing. (Read more)
3. ISIS Claims Responsibility for Orlando Terror Massacre - Fox News
ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack Sunday afternoon via its Amaq news agency, Reuters reported. Amaq said an "Islamic State fighter" carried out the assault. It was not clear, however, if the shooting was actually directed by the terror group or only inspired by it. (Read more)
4. Omar Mateen was Orlando nightclub shooter, officials say - CNN
The gunman who killed 50 people at an Orlando nightclub pledged allegiance to ISIS and mentioned the Boston bombing in a 911 call, according to a U.S. official. Suspect Omar Mateen made the call more than 20 minutes into the attack, a law enforcement official said.
The 29-year-old, who died in a shootout with police, lived in Fort Pierce, Florida. Bomb squad teams combed his apartment there Sunday afternoon. Investigators haven't revealed what they found. They also haven't said what led Mateen to attack the Pulse nightclub, which bills itself as "the hottest gay bar in Orlando."
His full name was Omar Mir Seddique Mateen and he was born in New York. His parents are originally from Afghanistan, a U.S. official said.
The FBI interviewed Mateen in 2013 and 2014, Assistant Special Agent in Charge Ronald Hopper told reporters Sunday. "Those interviews turned out to be inconclusive, so there was nothing to keep the investigation going," Hopper said. (Read more)
5. Florida gay club mass shooter angry about two men kissing, dad says - New York Post
The father of the shooter who killed 50 people at a gay nightclub in Florida said his son became enraged recently when he saw two men kissing - and that may have been what sparked the worst mass shooting in US history.
Mir Seddique, shooter Omar Seddique Mateen's father, insisted to NBC News that the slaughter at Pulse in Orlando "has nothing to do with religion." "We were in Downtown Miami, Bayside, people were playing music. And he saw two men kissing each other in front of his wife and kid and he got very angry," Seddique told the network.
"They were kissing each other and touching each other and he said, 'Look at that. In front of my son they are doing that.' And then we were in the men's bathroom and men were kissing each other," he continued. (Read more)
6. Obama doesn't mention Islam in Orlando terror - WND
President Obama refused to tie the bloody attack on a gay nightclub Sunday to Islamic terror and said "no definitive judgment" had been made on the motive.
At least 50 people are dead and 53 wounded following an attack on the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, Florida, in which the shooter shouted, "Allahu Akbar!" It was the worst act of terror on U.S. soil since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001. But Obama made no mention of "Islam," "Muslim" or "Islamic terror" in his televised address to the nation. (Read more)
7. Ben Carson on Orlando attack: 'They hate gay people' - WND
In the wake of the largest terror attack in the U.S. since the 9/11 onslaught in 2001, former Republican presidential candidate Dr. Ben Carson said Sunday morning's shooting in Orlando, Florida, at a "gay" nightclub is a reminder of the animosity Muslims have for homosexuals.
"This incident took place at a gay bar," Carson stressed to Fox News. "Many people on the left need to understand . . . they hate gay people. These people need to be looking at that for their own survival . . . to be so ideologically driven that they can't see that is problematic." (Read more)
8. LA Mayor: "Resolve Will Be Strong' After Armed Man Headed to Gay Pride Parade Arrested - Newsmax
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said Sunday afternoon, that the city's "hearts will be heavy but our resolve will be strong" after a authorities in nearby Santa Monica found explosives, weapons, and ammunition in the car of a man who said he was heading to a Gay Pride parade being held in Los Angeles.
At about 5 a.m. Sunday, Santa Monica police got a call about a prowler, and found a man who said he was waiting for a friend, reports The Los Angeles Times. Officers inspected his car, which had Indiana plates and found the weapons and ammunition along with Tannerite, which is used in pipe bombs." (Read more)
The Middle East in Focus
"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed," says the LORD, who has compassion on you." (Isaiah 54:10)
1. Bridges for Peace: Weekly Prayer Update
To read this report, please go here.
2. Hebrew Nation News: Weekly Prayer Update
To read this report, please go here.
3. IDF seals off Gaza, Judea and Samaria in wake of TA attack - Israel Hayom
Two days after the gruesome terrorist shooting in Tel Aviv, where four Israelis were gunned down at a café, the cabinet imposed a general closure on all of Judea and Samaria and the border crossings into Gaza. On Wednesday, two Palestinian terrorists opened fire at a popular Tel Aviv hotspot, killing four and wounding numerous others. The perpetrators hail from the Palestinian city of Yatta, in Judea.
The IDF Spokesperson's Unit issued a statement Friday saying that the border crossings would only be reopened after the Jewish holiday of Shavuot, which ends on Sunday. (Read more)
4. On eve of Tel Aviv terror attack, Hamas called Ramadan 'month of jihad' - Times of Israel
The military wing of Palestinian terror group Hamas called the Muslim holy month of Ramadan the "month of jihad," in an article published on Tuesday - a day before two West Bank terrorists killed four people in an attack in Tel Aviv.
According to the watchdog organization MEMRI, which monitors the Arabic-language media, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades's article claims that during the fast month, "the jihad fighter dedicates himself to the study of Islam by day he sets forth to defend his homeland, Palestine, by night."
The article - entitled "Ramadan - The Month of Jihad, Fighting and Victory over the Enemies" - praises "jihad for the sake of Allah [as] the pinnacle of Islam," calling it "one of the best and most noble deeds." (Read more)
5. Hamas and Fatah to hold talks in Qatar - Israel National News
Hamas and Fatah will hold new reconciliation talks in the Qatari capital of Doha next week, the Ma'an news agency reported Friday, citing a statement by Fatah Central Committee member Azzam al-Ahmad.
Al-Ahmad said that the focus of the talks would be to continue discussions on ways to implement the reconciliation agreement between the two major Palestinian parties, adding that the implementation would require honest political intentions to end the division between the political factions.
Hamas and Fatah have been at odds since 2007 when Hamas took over Gaza from Fatah in a bloody coup.
The sides have continued their never-ending war of words despite a unity agreement signed in April 2014 which sought to end seven years of bad blood. (Read more)
The Daily Brief
Every prayer below is presented to our Lord in the Name of Jesus Christ, amen.
1. House orders Library of Congress to maintain 'illegal alien' - Washington Times
The House voted Friday to order the Library of Congress to keep using the term "illegal alien" to describe those who come to the U.S. without authorization, saying that as long as federal laws written by Congress use those terms, so should their official records-keeper.
The library earlier this had proposed changing, saying that despite being used in law, the term had "become pejorative" and needed to be axed. Instead the library said it would use "noncitizen" to refer to illegal immigrants, and "unauthorized immigration" to refer to the broader issue.
Republicans revolted against the change, and demanded in the annual legislative branch funding bill that the library use terms that reflect federal law. The code repeatedly refers to foreigners as aliens, including those here both legally and illegally, so that would force the library to maintain the term "illegal alien."
Democrats balked and forced a vote, but the GOP prevailed on a 237-170 party-line vote. (Read more)
- Father God, we do thank you for this action by the House of Representatives. Lord, the laws of the federal government written by Congress stand as written, and hence the Library of Congress should use the same terminology. There should be no confusion across the lines of the government in terminology. Let these lawmakers be guided by Your will in all that they do.
- "And you shall teach them the statutes and the laws, and show them the way in which they must walk and the work they must do." (Exodus 18:20)
2. 76 million Americans are struggling financially or just getting by -
But 31% of American adults, or 76 million people, say they are struggling to get by or just barely making it, according to the Federal Reserve Bank's latest survey on Americans' economic well-being, which looked at 2015.
And that's actually good news. Two years earlier, the Fed found that 38% of Americans were in weak financial shape.
Seven years after the end of the Great Recession, millions of Americans have yet to find firm financial footing. That's one reason why the economy remains a top concern in the 2016 presidential election. (Read more)
- Lord, You know the financial status of our great country. We pray for all to come to You for salvation. Then You will teach Your ways to Your children that needs will be met. Let there be no fear of lack as all things are given by You. Amen.
- "God sets the solitary in families; He brings out those who are bound into prosperity; But the rebellious dwell in dry land." (Psalm 68:6)
3. First right-to-die clinic opens in California - Washington Times
For the tidy sum of $2,000, terminally ill Californians can now pay a doctor to help them commit suicide. Dr. Lonny Shavelson, who heads Bay Area End of Life Options, said he charges $200 for an initial evaluation and $1,800 in other fees to help patients kill themselves.
The medical practice began offering the service Thursday, after a law permitting physician-assisted suicide officially went into effect.
Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat came around to the doctor's side when he signed the End of Life Option Act into law in October, allowing physicians to prescribe lethal drugs to terminally ill, mentally-capable patients. (Read more)
- Lord Jesus, terminally ill people are trying to get ahead of You by choosing to end their lives. Physicians take an oath that doesn't include assisting patients to end their lives. Let the eyes of the people seeking assistance be opened in making this terrible decision that violates Your law. May the physicians see what they are doing through Your eyes and let them make the choice to assist patients in quality of life. Your plans for all lives are far greater than the choices being offered by man. Thank you for hearing this prayer. In Your Holy name. Amen.
- "Then he said, "Behold now, I am old. I do not know the day of my death." (Genesis 27:2)
4. Official map finds Zika-transmitting mosquitoes in much of U.S. - Yahoo News
Mosquitoes that can transmit the Zika virus have been found to live in nearly all U.S. states. The maps show the two breeds of virus-carrying mosquitoes, the yellow fever and the Asian tiger mosquito, can live in the nation's northernmost states of Michigan, New Hampshire, Washington state and Minnesota, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).(Read more)
- Heavenly Father . . . Majesty who is enthroned above, we thank You for the antidote needed for this very deadly Zika Virus carried by mosquitos, reportedly found in nearly all U.S. States. . . We come against this virus, declaring it null and void when it is injected into our bodies. By the precious BODY, BLOOD and NAME of Your Son and our Redeemer JESUS, that brings healing and health to our bodies. We declare that this attack on humanity is cancelled and that these mosquitoes have been relieved of their demonic assignment . . . and that their bite is rendered nontoxic from here on . . . in JESUS name we pray . . . amen!
- "But in that coming day no weapon turned against you will succeed." (Isaiah 54:17a)
5. Homeland Security Chair: 'We Are in the Highest Threat Environment I Have Seen Since 9/11' - CNSNews.com
House Homeland Security Chairman Michael McCaul said today that "we are in the highest threat environment" he has seen since the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
McCaul made the statement at an event hosted by the Council on Foreign Relations and moderated by Andrea Mitchell of NBC News, where House Republicans released their national security plans. "I would say we are in the highest threat environment I have seen since 9/11," McCaul said while speaking on a panel with House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte.
". . . There are many last-point-of-departure airports that are not secure, and we know that al Qaeda and ISIS are very intent on putting bombs onto airplanes as we saw with the Russian jetliner. We don't know for sure now about the Egyptian airliner. But we know al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula is still very focused." You mentioned the border, I think the border applies as well. We need a secure border to stop potential terrorists from entering the nation. We know that ISIS in Dabiq Magazine talked about taking a Pakistan nuclear weapon and smuggling it across the U.S.-Mexico border. So, all these components are vitally important to protecting Americans here at home. (Read more)
- Lord Jesus, threats by the evil ones to harm the United States continue to increase. Our prayer is that all things hidden will be revealed and be turned back on those plotting to do harm. Lord, You are our Commander and Chief and "In God We Trust." There is no fear when we trust in You. Thank you for this assurance. In Your precious name. We love You. Amen.
- "Do not touch My anointed ones, And do My prophets no harm." (1 Chronicles 16:22)
6. Chaplain booted over praying 'in Jesus' name' goes to Supremes - WND
The U.S. Navy chaplain who was removed from the military for disobeying a "lawful" order banning prayer "in Jesus' name" has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to intervene and overturn a decade of rulings in his case.
The petition for certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court was filed by attorney John B. Wells on behalf of Gordon J. Klingenschmitt. His case was filed back in 2011, after his removal from the military over the issue of praying "in Jesus' name" sparked years of battles.
. . . "It's been 10 years since the Navy punished me as a chaplain, for quoting 'exclusive' Bible verses in chapel during optional Christian worship, for praying 'in Jesus' name' in uniform outside of chapel, for 'worshiping in public' which a Navy judge ruled illegal, and for blowing the whistle by writing to my congressman and the president," Klingenschmitt told WND.
"No judge in my case, civilian or military, has ever once defended the Constitution as they and I swore an oath to do. I pray the Supreme Court of the United States will be the first to hear my case, and grant or petition for writ of certiorari, and finally rule the First Amendment protects military chaplains' rights to pray and preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. (Read more)
- Father, in defense of Chaplain Klingenschmitt, we offer this song: "Onward Christian Soldiers." Amen.
- "Do not be discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's." (2 Chronicles 20:15)
7. Iran rebuffs congressional try to visit country - WND
Iran, the country that was supposed to have warmed in its relations with the West over President Obama's pressed nuke treaty, nevertheless turned back the request of three sitting congressmen to visit some of Tehran's nuclear facilities, mocking their limited powers and criticizing their request as little more than a "publicity stunt."
The three lawmakers - Reps. Frank LoBiondo of New Jersey, Mike Pompeo of Kansas and Lee Zeldin of New York - had all opposed the treaty when it was being formed, agreeing with Israel that it was a danger to the West and would give Iran the eventual ability to develop nuclear weapons. They then asked in February for Iran to grant them visas to visit and tour three nuclear facilities, observe elections and see "American hostages," the Associated Press reported.
Iran's government-run ISNA media outlet also reported the three wanted to discuss the capture of 10 U.S. sailors by Tehran's naval officials in January. But Iran turned down the request in a scathing letter. The Foreign Ministry accused the congressmen of a "publicity stunt" and scolded "the completely inappropriate way you have demanded to visit Iran and interfer in what is of no relevance to [your] official functions," AP reported.
The letter went on, pointing to the limited role of members of Congress and suggesting the congressmen were exceeding their authorities. "Despite what you seem to presume, [members] of the U.S. Congress do not get to dictate the policies of other countries," the letter stated. (Read more)
- Mighty Mighty God, we thank You for these three Members of Congress who are fearlessly stepping up to the plate and attempting to do the job they were voted in to do. We cover them with the Precious BLOOD of JESUS, as they light up areas of darkness that are being held under wraps. May they and others like them continue to come forth in Your wisdom and power, in JESUS name we pray!!! Amen!
- "I will make justice the measuring line And righteousness the level; Then hail will sweep away the refuge of lies And the waters will overflow the secret place."
8. Obama Names Official Linked to MB as Gov't Liaison to Muslims
- Clarion Project
Zaki Barzinji worked for ISNA, an org. named as a Muslim Brotherhood entity by the Justice Dept. His grandfather was a MB terror suspect.
The Obama Administration has chosen the grandson of a Muslim Brotherhood terror suspect as its new liaison to the Muslim-American community. The new official also led the youth section of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA), an identified Muslim Brotherhood entity that was labeled an unindicted co-conspirator in a Hamas-financing trial.
The official, Zaki Barzinji, previously served as the deputy director of intergovernmental affairs for Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe, who is now under investigation for possible political corruption. Before that, Barzinji was the president of the Muslim Youth of North America, which describes itself as the youth wing of ISNA. (Read more)
- Father God, we call forth a congressional investigation of this appointment, as we know that the FBI has now designated the Muslim Brotherhood a terrorist organization. We sever these cords asunder by the Blood of Christ, and ask that a new liaison to that community be named who will serve as a blessing to our nation, and not as an undercover threat. We ask this in Your Name, as we intercede for the salvation of Zaki Barzinji, amen.
- "The Lord is righteous; He has cut in two the cords of the wicked." (Psalm 129:4)
9. Obama's Refugee Policy: Yes to Potential Terrorists, No to Victims of Genocide - Gatestone Institute
Christians account for 10% of Syria's total population - yet they account for less than 0.5% of the refugees received into America. Sunni Muslims are 74% of Syria's population - yet 99% of those received into America. In other words, there should be 20 times more Christians and about one-quarter fewer Sunnis granted refugee status than there already have been.
. . . the excuse given by those who defend this disparity rings totally false: According to the U.N. refugee agency UNHCR, Christian and other minorities "fear that registration might bring retribution from other refugees." So supposedly they do not register and are left out of the process. As ongoing reports reveal, however, the majority of those at refugee camps - Sunnis - are persecuting the Christians in their midst, sometimes killing them. During one Mediterranean crossing from Libya to Sicily, Muslim "refugees" shouted "Allahu Akbar!" ["Allah is the Greatest!"] as they hurled as many as 53 Christians overboard. (Read more)
- Lord God of Israel, we cry out for justice in our land regarding the government's refugee policy. Clearly, Lord God, things are askew, and the righteous (Christians) are being ignored while the unrighteous (Moslems) are being given a "free pass" into our nation. Holy God, we ask that You bring correction in this equation, so that Your people, too, can be welcomed to enter the gates of our nation. Amen.
- "For I, the LORD, love justice; I hate robbery and wrongdoing. In my faithfulness I will reward my people and make an everlasting covenant with them." (Isaiah 61:8)
10. Report: Islamic State 'Actively Trying to Acquire WMDs' for Nuclear Attack on West - Breitbart
The threat of a terrorist group like the Islamic State (ISIS/ISIL) using nuclear material to carry out a "dirty bomb" attack against the West is the highest since the Cold War came to an end, warns a leading international think tank on proliferation.
According to the International Luxembourg Forum on Preventing Nuclear Catastrophe, the jihadist group is "actively trying to acquire weapons of mass destruction [WMDs]":
[ISIS] has already carried out numerous chemical weapons attacks in Syria; we know it wants to go further by carrying out a nuclear attack in the heart of Europe. This, combined with poor levels of security at a host of nuclear research centers in the former Soviet Union mean the threat of a possible 'dirty-bomb' attack on a Western capital is high. (Read more)
- Great God Jehovah, Let it be known to those who desire to wipe out Nations with man made chemical weapons, that though these enemies of ours prepare to release their evil plans to do this, we believe and thank You for doing what it takes to stop them in their tracks . . .as they are foiled by their own evil plans coming against them instead . . . In JESUS NAME WE PRAY!!!
- "The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before you. They shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways."
The Daily Jot
Friday, June 10, 2016
The manipulation of the media
Last week, the political media was aghast that Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump called them "especially dishonest." The flap centered on how the reporting about Trump's donations to veterans groups fell short of what he said it would. He had given $5.6 million to date when he had told the media he was going to give $6 million, and that money was still coming in. The media was calling Trump a liar over his contributions. Trump was setting the record straight. Now that you see Democratic Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton appearing in pictures with her arms spread like some third world country socialist goddess, you are once again seeing the "especially dishonest" political media.
The Media Research Council, a media watchdog group, completed a study of who covered the primaries, lending insight as to why Hillary Clinton is being touted as a goddess in waiting of her earthly coronation. MRC reports: "The news media are celebrating Hillary Clinton's success this week at becoming the first woman to ever clinch a major party's presidential nomination. "This morning, Hillary Clinton is making history," NBC's Andrea Mitchell chirped on Today. Over on ABC's Good Morning America, correspondent Cecilia Vega saluted Clinton for "shattering the more than 200-year-old glass ceiling of American politics." This only solidifies those who would vote for Clinton because the US needs a woman president.
A January to June MRC study of 950 stories about Trump and Clinton, however, indicates that broadcast networks organized their coverage to ensure that Clinton's historic candidacy was almost entirely reported by women correspondents, while the GOP race was largely reported by male correspondents. MRC reports that 83% of the Democratic stories were reported by women. The opposite is true of the Republican stories, with 32% reported by women. MRC states: "While each network relied on a sizeable number of correspondents to cover the race, all three assigned a woman as the main reporter covering the Democratic primaries: ABC's Cecilia Vega, CBS's Nancy Cordes, and NBC's Andrea Mitchell."
Add on top of this the personal politics of these reporters, which is heavily weighted as not only liberal, but socialist. Studies conducted in 1981 (The Media Elite by Lichter and Rothman) and in 1995 (Kenneth Walsh, US News and World Report) indicate that reporters vote for the Democratic presidential candidate 85% of the time, and White House correspondents vote for the Democratic presidential candidate 88% of the time. This is also an indicator of the bias in their reporting. The media's goddess Hillary Clinton will get all the breaks unless she is indicted, and even then it will make her a victim. If you believe what these people report, you are being manipulated. As Isaiah 59:4 says, "None call for justice, nor any plead for truth: they trust in vanity, and speak lies; they conceive mischief, and bring forth iniquity." Don't be fooled by them.
Have a Blessed and Powerful Day!
Prayers for Ramadan:
Monday, June 13, 2016
(Publishing one day early . . .)
Prayer Target: KUWAIT
"Now, Lord, look on their threats, and grant to Your servants that with all boldness they may speak Your word, by stretching out Your hand to heal, and that signs and wonders may be done through the name of Your holy Servant Jesus."
And when they had prayed, the place where they were assembled together was shaken; and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and they spoke the word of God with boldness." (Acts 4:29-31)
Pray for the believers in Kuwait to speak with boldness. Pray the Lord would continue to heal, especially Muslims; pray that recognized signs and wonders would be taking place in Jesus' name. Pray God would "shake" His places of prayer and worship. Pray God would fill local believers in Kuwait with the Holy Spirit.
- Kuwait is a divided society. There is a large conservative Salafist population that is constantly at odds with the government. The Salafists previously controlled the elected Parliament, but have been marginalized politically more recently. With the presence of the U.S. military base, the political situation is stable. Pray for the government of Kuwait. Pray that in this climate of division, that Kuwaitis would be open to seek the truth of the Bible.
- There is substantial division between churches and between local believers. Some of the deepest divisions exist sadly amongst different groups of Evangelicals that have splintered away from one another. Pray for greater unity. Pray churches can again work together for the sake of the Kingdom of God.
- One ministry worker explains: We have a sense that a real breakthrough with Kuwaitis is near. Many are open and we have had the opportunity to pray for many for healing and for freedom from demonic oppression. The handful of Kuwaiti believers, need to be strengthened.
(Source: Christian workers in Kuwait)
Our Weekly Bible Study
Our Weekly Bible Study:
Week of Sunday, June 12 - Saturday, June 18, 2016
> > > To read the "One Year Bible" weekly letter, go here.
> > > To read the Shabbat Torah readings, go here.
The Persecuted Church
Syria 'Most Deadly Country' for Christians and Other Minorities
For the second year running, Syria has topped the table of countries whose people are most at risk of genocide, mass political killings or violent repression.
The Middle East and Africa dominate the 2016 rankings of countries where it is most perilous to live. Alongside Syria, countries that have become signifantly more dangerous include Iraq, South Sudan, Libya, Turkey, Ukraine and Azerbaijan.
Further mass migration is as a result inevitable as people flee terrible persecutions, according to Minority Rights Group, which campaigns worldwide to help disadvantaged minorities and indigenous peoples.
The group's online Peoples Under Threat interactive map shows those countries around the world most at risk of genocide, mass political killing or systematic violent repression. (Christian Today) Read more.
Songs Our Grandmothers Sang:
IN THE GARDEN
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." (John 10:27)
I come to the garden alone,
While the dew is still on the roses;
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear,
The Son of God discloses.
And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own,
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.
He speaks, and the sound of His voice
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing;
And the melody that He gave to me
Within my heart is ringing. [Refrain]
I'd stay in the garden with Him
Tho' the night around me be falling,
But He bids me go; thro' the voice of woe,
His voice to me is calling. [Refrain]
Please go here.
About the Author:
Words and Music: C. Austin Miles, 1913
"It is as a writer of gospel songs I am proud to be known, for in that way I may be of the most use to my Master, whom I serve willingly although not as efficiently as is my desire."
Signs and Wonders
Doughnut of Light Over Colorado
On June 8th, high above a thunderstorm in Colorado, an enormous ring of light appeared near the edge of space. Amateur astronomer Thomas Ashcraft photographed the phenomenon using a low-light video camera. "It only lasted about a millisecond," says Ashcraft, "but it was definitely there. The ring was about 300 km wide," he estimates.
This is an example of an ELVE (Emissions of Light and Very Low Frequency Perturbations due to Electromagnetic Pulse Sources). First seen by cameras on the space shuttle in 1990, ELVEs appear when a pulse of electromagnetic radiation from lightning propagates up toward space and hits the base of Earth's ionosphere. A faint ring of light marks the broad 'spot' where the EMP hits.
ELVES often appear alongside red sprites. Indeed, Ashcraft's camera caught a cluster of sprites leaping straight up through the middle of the donut. "Play the complete video to see the sprites," says Ashcraft.
ELVEs are elusive--and that's an understatement. Blinking in and out of existance in only 1/1000th of a second, they are completely invisible to the human eye. For comparison, red sprites tend to last for hundredths of a second and regular lightning can scintillate for a second or more. Their brevity explains why ELVEs are a more recent discovery than other lightning-related phenomenon. (www.spaceweather.com)
"There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars. On the earth, nations will be in anguish and perplexity at the roaring and tossing of the sea." (Luke 21:25)
The Good News Corner
All the Way to the Supreme Court, Author of Texas Pro-Life Law Stands for Women and Innocent Lives
One day this month, most likely a Monday, the U.S. Supreme Court will hand down its decision in the case Whole Woman's Health v. Hellerstedt. The case centers on a Texas law defining minimum health and safety standards for abortion practices, which abortion providers have sued to halt.
A remarkable Texas woman, the author of state law HB 2, stands at the center of the controversy. For years working in a family-owned tech company with her husband Robert, Jodie Laubenberg transitioned for some years to a larger role: raising their young children. Then in 2002, when two pro-choice politicians were the only candidates in her district, she ran for state representative and won. Yet her biggest battle came a decade later. (Bound4Life) Read more here.
Made for Worship: Planet Shakers
Election 2016: Prayer Resources
"Choose some wise, understanding and respected men from each of your tribes, and I will set them over you." (Deuteronomy 1:13)
> > > Please find below the Election Prayer Resources that have been recently added to our list. To view the archive section, go here.
To view our recently archived articles, go here.
To view the most recently archived resources, go here.