Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Friday, November 21, 2014
"Let his days be few; Let another take his office." (Psalm 109:8)
The Daily Brief
1. Obama calls for sweeping immigration - Fox News
Determined to go it alone, President Obama will head to Nevada on Friday to sign an executive order granting "deferred action" to two illegal immigrant groups- parents of United States citizens or legal permanent residents who have been in the country for five years, and young people who who were brought into the country illegally as of 2010.
Obama will sign the executive order at the same Las Vegas high school where he unveiled his sweeping blueprint for a national immigration overhaul nearly two years ago. (Read more)
- Lord God, we sense that, with this speech, the "president" has shaken the dust off of his feet, refusing to listen to the American people on this issue, and vowing instead to go his own way. In doing so, he has sealed his fate. We ask that Congress now begin to move to evict this man from office, by whatever means needed. We thank You that You are in control, and that You have a plan. In Jesus' name, amen.
- "Let his days be few; Let another take his office." (Psalm 109:8)
2. GOP leaders vow to fight Obama immigration action as top Dems praise move - Fox News
Republican lawmakers reacted with swift condemnation to President Obama's announcement that he plans to grant "deferred action" status to two groups of illegal immigrants, though Democratic leaders praised the president for his move.
Obama said in a Thursday speech that his administration will grant "deferred action" to two groups - parents of U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents who have been in the country for five years, and young people who were brought into the country illegally as of 2010.
House Speaker John Boehner said that Obama is ignoring what Americans really want, and has "squandered what little credibility he had left." (Read more)
- Lord God, we praise You that we still have a Congress, and a two-party system. Let the fight begin.
- "The wise prevail through great power, and those who have knowledge muster their strength. Surely you need guidance to wage war, and victory is won through many advisers." (Proverbs 24:5,6)
3. President's executive action on immigration will have big repercussions on states - Fox News
As Republicans in Washington debate how to fight Obama's executive action, the real battle could take place in state legislatures that have a say over how exactly to carry out the plan.
For starters, states will have to provide proper outreach and support to help the immigrants figure out how to apply for deferred action - and state governments can vary their efforts in reaching out to undocumented populations offering assistance.
An estimated 3.7 million undocumented immigrants who are parents of U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents are expected to benefit from Obama's new deferred action program. An additional 1.5 million people will be eligible for temporary deportation relief and work permits under the expansion of Obama's 2012 Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Program or DACA. (Read more)
- Lord God, raise up Your right hand to shut down this action by our leadership which will cause a widespread financial burden on our citizens and their state governments. Help us, Lord, in the Name of Jesus and under His Shed Blood we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Give us help from trouble, for the help of man is useless. Through God we will do valiantly, for it is He who shall tread down our enemies." (Psalm 108:12-13)
4. Ted Cruz: 'We Are Unfortunately Witnessing a Constitutional Crisis' - CNSNews.com
After repeatedly insisting that he could not bypass Congress and change immigration laws on his own, President Obama now believes he has found a way to do just that. And Republicans, including Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Ted Cruz of Texas, are prepared to challenge him:
"We are unfortunately witnessing a constitutional crisis. What President Obama's doing is he is defying the law, he's defying the Constitution," Cruz told Fox News's Megyn Kelly Wednesday night.
"This is a moment of testing," he added. "And I am hopeful we will see Republicans in Congress stand up and side with the people against the lawless president." (Read more)
- Father God, we thank You for the statements made by these two members of the United States Senate, and we ask that Your grace and Your favor would rest upon them and others who will work to restore the balance of power in our nation. We ask this in Jesus' name, amen.
- " If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matthew 21:22)
5. AG pick Lynch may face grilling over seizing properties, experts say - Fox News
A boast by President Obama's pick to be the nation's top law enforcement official could come back to haunt her in confirmation hearings before the Senate, where some members object to prosecutors' rampant use of civil forfeiture, a controversial but legal process that can allow citizens' assets to be seized without due process. (Read more)
- Lord, whenever the Senate Judiciary Committee begins its hearings for the nomination of this candidate for the office of Attorney General, we ask that all necessary facts would come to light and wisdom direct the course of this investigation. We ask this in Jesus' name, amen.
- "For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open." (Mark 4:22)
6. Charges seem unlikely for Ferguson cop, union official says - Fox News
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. - The suburban St. Louis police officer who shot and killed Michael Brown seems confident that he will not face criminal charges from a grand jury that has been investigating the case for several months, a police union official said Thursday.
Jeff Roorda, business manager for the St. Louis Police Officers' Association, said he met Thursday with Ferguson officer Darren Wilson, who has remained secluded from the public eye since the Aug. 9 shooting that sparked tense and occasionally violent protests and drew national attention.
Wilson has been under a lot of pressure and stress but appeared confident in the outcome of the grand jury investigation, Roorda said.
"It's fair to say that neither he nor his defense team expect an indictment," Roorda said, offering his impression of the situation based on the meeting with Wilson. (Read more)
- Lord God, as Your intercessors, help us keep our eyes fixed upon You, even as rumors continue about the outcome of this trial and the timing of its verdict. You are our Rock and our Fortress, and we praise You in all things. In Jesus' name, amen.
- "The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him." (Psalm 28:7)
7. Western New York communities pounded by fresh round of historic snow - Fox News
A new blast of snow pounded the Buffalo area Thursday, piling more misery on a city already buried by an epic, deadly snowfall that has left some areas with more than 7 feet of snow.
The death toll reached ten, with the two latest victims dying from exposure, The Buffalo News reported.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo begged drivers "pretty, pretty please" to stay off slippery, car-clogged roads in western New York while crews tried to dig out. Some areas got close to 3 feet of new snow by Thursday afternoon. (Read more)
- Lord of all Creation, we ask that in judgment, You will remember and extend Your mercy to all those affected by this overwhelming snowstorm. We grieve for those lives already lost, and ask You to comfort those who mourn. We ask You to heal those who need healing. We ask You and Your angels to minister to those who may be stuck somewhere. May they be found and rescued, we pray. Keep them warm under the tallit of Your love and protection. Minister not only to humans who need help, but to animals who also need to be preserved and healed. We ask for strength for those who need it to work the long hours rescuing requires. We ask that the snow will stop and clear out, and conditions improve for everyone. Thank You, Amen.
- "God thunders marvelously with His voice; He does great things which we cannot comprehend. For He says to the snow, Fall on the earth; likewise He speaks to the showers and to the downpour of His mighty rains. God seals up (stops, brings to a standstill by severe weather) the hand of every man [and now under His seal their hands are forced to inactivity], that all men whom He has made may know His doings (His sovereign power and their subjection to it)." (Job 37:5-7)
8. New ISIS Video Released Showing French Jihadists Burning Passports, Calling For Terror In France - IBTimes
A new video released by the Islamic State group shows four foreign fighters, purportedly from France, burning French passports and urging fellow citizens to inflict terror at home. Earlier in the week, France identified two of its citizens featured in a video showing the execution of U.S. aid worker Peter Kassig and several Syrian soldiers. (Read more)
- Father, we ask You to muzzle those whose lips are speaking evil against their own people, that You ensnare the feet in nets of those who wish to ensnare others for evil purposes, and confuse the plans of those plotting evil. Arrest them, Lord, as You did to Paul on the Road to Damascus. May the only true and living God confront them, and reveal Yourself to them, we pray. Invade their dreams, and confront them, we pray, in Jesus' name, Amen.
- "For the ways of man are directly before the eyes of the Lord, and He [Who would have us live soberly, chastely, and godly] carefully weighs all man's goings. His own iniquities shall ensnare the wicked man, and he shall be held with the cords of his sin. He will die for lack of discipline and instruction, and in the greatness of his folly he will go astray and be lost." (Proverbs 5:21-23)
9. New Kurdish offensive targets Islamic State - Washington Post
Kurdish forces, backed by U.S.-led airstrikes, launched a new offensive Wednesday targeting the Islamic State in areas of Iraq that the extremist group captured in the summer. The operation came as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said details have not been finalized for a deal that would have his country train rebels to battle the Islamic State in Syria, where the militant group also holds territory.
A U.S.-led coalition is targeting the Islamic State with airstrikes in Iraq and Syria while supporting Western-backed Syrian rebels, Kurdish fighters and the Iraqi military on the ground in their efforts against the militants. The airstrikes have helped stall the Islamic State's advance in the Syrian city of Kobane, near the Turkish border. (Read more)
- Abba, we thank You for the willingness of the Kurdish forces to target the Islamic State. We ask for success in their endeavors to contain this evil entity, and for all Islamist peoples to come against the radicalness of this force for evil. We thank You that You are greater than all our sin! We thank You that Your love transcends all opposition! You are God, and there is none else! We worship You alone, O Lover of our souls! Amen!
- "Now therefore [reverently] fear the Lord and serve Him in sincerity and in truth; put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the [Euphrates] River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. The people answered, Far be it from us to forsake the Lord to serve other gods." (Joshua 15:14-16)
10. Islamists Hack To Death Professor Who Called For Burka Ban - Breitbart
A group of suspected Islamist terrorists murdered a university professor who had previously called for a ban on full-face coverings. The incident occurred in the Muslim-majority country of Bangladesh, and police are reportedly questioning two individuals who are suspected of carrying out the murder near the campus of Rajshahi University.
'We are working on several possible motives behind the killing,' but the 'main focus' was that Islamist jihadists were the likely perpetrators, Police Commissioner Mahbubur Rahman told AFP. A group called Ansar al Islam Bangladesh has surfaced on social media, claiming responsibility for the murder. . ." (Read more)
- Lord, why is intolerance, and darkness bound up in men's hearts? Where is mercy? We ask that the perpetrators of this crime be exposed and accountable for their actions. We thank You that as evil as man's heart can be, You are good, full of mercy, and kindness. We pray for the salvation of those who have committed this terrible crime. In Your judgment, remember mercy. May You use these individuals to spread the Gospel with the same zeal and fervor with which they served the devil. In Your Name we pray, Amen!
- "Stone is heavy and sand weighty, but a fool's [unreasoning] wrath is heavier and more intolerable than both of them." (Proverbs 23:3)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"He will give His angels charge concerning you, to guard you in all your ways." (Psalm 91:11)
1. Hamas cell caught planning to assassinate Avigdor Liberman - Times of Israel
Israeli forces foiled a Palestinian plan to assassinate Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman during the summer war with Gaza, the Shin Bet security service said Thursday night.
A group of Hamas members from near Bethlehem in the West Bank planned to purchase a rocket-propelled grenade, which would be shot at Liberman, who lives in an Israeli settlement in the area, the Shin Bet said. The IDF, police and Shin Bet were involved in stymieing the plan, according to an official statement. (Read more)
2. Mayor Barkat releases new Jerusalem security plans - Times of Israel
Jerusalem mayor Nir Barkat released a new security plan for the capital, as episodes of violence continued in the capital and elsewhere in the country Thursday. Starting Sunday, 130 new police cruisers will be deployed to the city, with an additional 30 cruisers introduced in order to protect schools and kindergartens. (Read more)
3. Police bust massive shipment of firecrackers, knives bound for capital - Times of Israel
Container marked as Christmas lights contained 18,000 firecrackers and thousands of other weapons meant to supply Palestinian rioters, officials say (Read more)
4. Israel to allow all worshipers into Friday al-Aqsa prayers - Times of Israel
Age restrictions remain lifted for second straight week despite continuing unrest in Jerusalem. (Read more)
5. Islamist Sheikh Declares 'Third Intifada Has Begun' - Israel National News
In the midst of the growing wave of terror attacks, Sheikh Raed Salah, head of the Islamic Movement in Israel, has called on Arab residents of Judea and Samaria to go forth in an intifada terror war and declared that the "Third Intifada" has already started.
Salah told Al-Jazeera "residents of the (West) Bank should not respond to occurrences in Al-Quds (Jerusalem) from a position as observers of the situation, but rather residents of the Bank want to emphasize their commitment to the holiness of Al-Aqsa (Mosque) and the holy city."
"The (Palestinian) Authority should provide them an environment of freedom and not act to oppress their processions as happened in Hevron and Shechem (Nablus)," continued Salah, calling for demonstrations that frequently feature violent clashes with IDF forces. The PA has in the past said it is giving a free hand to terror.
Salah then praised the rise in terrorism as a "new intifada."(Read more)
6. Israel Shouldn't Ignore the 'Shia Al Qaeda' on its Doorstep - Israel National News
While world attention focuses on ISIS in Syria and Iraq, Middle East expert warns of looming threat from Iranian-backed Shia militias. (Read more)
7. Spanish Lawmakers Call for Recognition of 'Palestine' - Israel National News
Spanish lawmakers adopted a motion Tuesday calling on the government to recognize a Palestinian state, AFP reported.
The motion submitted by the opposition Socialists asks the conservative government to recognize 'Palestine' in coordination with any similar move by the European Union.
It was adopted nearly unanimously in the lower house of parliament, with 319 in favor, two against and one abstention, according to AFP. (Read more)
8. 'Day of Rage' Expected Today in Judea-Samaria -Israel National News
Demonstrations by 'Palestinian' Arabs are expected today in Samaria and Judea in answer to Hamas's call for a 'Day of Rage', in solidarity with the struggle for Al-Aqsa (the Temple Mount) and Jerusalem". (Read more)
9. Floods Expected, Floodwatchers Warned - Israel National News
The emergency rescue teams in the Dead Sea area are warning the public that floods are expected at week's end in the stream beds leading to the Dead Sea - and they are also calling on people who wish to view the floods to do so carefully. (Read more)
10. Jordanian parliament observes moment of silence for terrorists of synagogue attack - Jerusalem Post
The Jordanian parliament paid respects by observing a minute of silence and reading verses from the Koran for the two Palestinian terrorists who murdered five Israelis and injured others in an attack at a Jerusalem synagogue on Tuesday.
However, the Jordanian government condemned the attack on Thursday, saying it is against all acts of violence against civilians, Israel Radio reported. (Read more)
Obama Slaps Down The American People
Obama Slaps Down The American People
President Obama, ignoring the verdict on his policies by voters earlier this month, is bulldozing through the Constitution by issuing an immigration amnesty today. His cynical calculation is that he can profit from this raw power-grab in two ways. First, he rouses his liberal base and earns points with Latinos. Second, he drives a wedge between outraged grassroots conservatives and a cautious GOP establishment. I wonder if that establishment has noticed that Obama's approval rating is down to 37 percent, and that only about 35 percent support him acting unilaterally on immigration.
Some Republican leaders are pushing back against Obama's power-grab. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) said that if Obama makes this move he will be "acting as a monarch." He also labeled Obama's actions "lawless" and "unconstitutional." Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL) called Obama "emperor of the United States" and said that Obama's plan will allow illegal immigrants to "take jobs directly from struggling Americans in every occupation." Retiring and normally soft-spoken Senator Tom Coburn (R-OK) issued this warning: "The country's going to go nuts, because they're going to see it as a move outside the authority of the president you could see instances of anarchyyou could see violence." (Coburn made it clear he hoped that would NOT happen.) Republican Senator John Cornyn (TX) said Obama's actions would be "unconstitutional and illegal."
Sheriffs from across the country also weighed in, with some charging that Obama's amnesty will be the "destruction of our democracy" and leave a "gaping hole" for terrorists. Meanwhile at the White House tonight Obama will dine with congressional leaders--Democrats only. (Gary Bauer)
Finding a solution to Obama's aggressive attack on the Constitution will not be easy. The new Congress doesn't meet until January. In the meantime, Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) won't allow a vote in the Senate on anything that hurts Obama. By January public outrage may have dissipated. Nonetheless, there must be action. Senator Cruz supports the idea of blocking the confirmation of all Obama appointees over the next two years. Others are pushing a strong resolution of disapproval making it clear that Obama's actions are unconstitutional. It would be voted on in the House and Senate in January, followed by a formal censure vote of Obama if he still doesn't rescind his unlawful act. I think a lawsuit should be filed and every effort should be taken to get it before the Supreme Court.
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
17 Photos Take You Inside Museum of the Bible, Opening in 2017
"Our research shows that an estimated 2 million people per year will visit the museum once it opens." -Shannon Bennett
A new multimedia history museum is now under construction in Washington, DC-an eight-story, 430,000 square-foot experience dedicated to the best-selling, most-read, and most-banned book of all time: the Bible.
Under new ownership, the former Washington Design Center is currently being reconstructed into the Museum of the Bible-set to open Fall 2017
The Museum of the Bible will be a significant addition to the city's cultural and tourism landscape, offering a scholarly approach to the ancient biblical text-with a modern presentation.
"Our research shows that an estimated 2 million people per year will visit the museum once it opens," says Shannon Bennett, Community Relations Director for Museum of the Bible-part of her presentation during an on-site tour.
The driving force behind the new museum is Oklahoma businessman Steve Green, President of Hobby Lobby Stores. In June, he and his family won a contentious Supreme Court case-a decision hailed by the pro-life movement as a victory for religious freedom. (Read more)
Signs and Wonders
Earthquakes on the rise; scientists warn of larger quake possibilities
With 4,600 quakes this year alone so far, it averages to 14 quakes a day. "It's pretty remarkable how many significant earthquakes we've had," Holland said. While the state's biggest quake remains at a 5.6 that hit Prague back in 2011, large quakes are happening more often. Holland says the trend doesn't bode well for the state. (Read more)
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." (Luke 21:25-28)
Today's Birthdays on the Hill
Today we want to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to:
Rep. Yvette D. Clarke (NY)
Sen. Richard J. Durbin (IL)
Rep. Chaka Fattah (PA)
Rep. Tom Rooney (FL)
God bless you all!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
by JJ Heller
"When my world is shaking, Heaven stands. When my heart is breaking, I never leave Your hands. . ."
Daily Conference Calls
Daily Conference Calls
Prayer calls will be held nightly at 9PM EST.
857-232-0156; access 377054#
Sponsored by Breaker of Dawn Ministries
For details, go here.
[I am blessed to be able to host these calls every week on Friday night. Welcome tonight to all who will join as we cry unto the LORD for our land.]