Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief:
"Praying for All in Authority"
Monday, June 9, 2014
"I have heard thy prayer and thy supplication."
(I Kings 8:9)
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
The Daily Brief
1. Okla. Republicans Rip DHS Plans to House Illegal Minors at Army Base - Newsmax
Top Oklahoma Republicans are outraged that the Obama administration will begin housing as many as 600 illegal immigrant minors at the Fort Sill Army Base as early as Tuesday - at an estimated cost to taxpayers of $252 per child per day.
"Our nation has an immigration problem and a national security crisis, but I don't believe the answer is for our military facilities to be transformed into a center that houses, feeds, and cares for illegal immigrants," Sen. Jim Inhofe, the ranking GOP member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said in a statement on Friday.
"This only encourages parents to send their children unaccompanied over the border and, with the average-aged child being between 13 and 17, it exposes our military facilities to unknown security concerns." (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, since these are illegal immigrants, this influx endangers those who are on this military base, and it is at a huge cost financially. Help us Father, as we know what is being done is wrong in Your eyes as well as in the eyes of many of us. In the Name of Jesus we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Arise, O God, judge the earth; for You shall inherit all nations." (Psalm 82:8)
2. Brewer Rushes Supplies to Federal Site Overwhelmed by Illegal Migrant Kids - Newsmax
Angry about the federal government sending from Texas to Arizona immigrants who are in the country illegally, Arizona officials say they are rushing federal supplies to a makeshift holding center in the southern part of the state that's housing hundreds of migrant children and is running low on the basics.
Gov. Jan Brewer's spokesman, Andrew Wilder, said Friday that conditions at the holding center are so dire that federal officials have asked the state to immediately ship the medical supplies to the center in Nogales.
A Homeland Security Department official told The Associated Press that children are sleeping on plastic cots but about 2,000 mattresses have been ordered, and portable toilets and showers have been brought to the holding center - a warehouse that has not been used for detention in years.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because there was no authorization to discuss the matter publicly, said the Nogales holding center opened for children because the Department of Health and Human Services had nowhere to turn. "They became so overwhelmed and haven't kept up with planning," the official said. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, once again this administration is using facilities in various states to 'dump' illegal immigrant children instead of returning them to the nation from which they came. Father, this is a dangerous life -threatening action for these children and it is placing an onerous burden upon the states, who must provide for them. Have mercy, Father, and rise up, confronting those who are provoking these actions in our administration. We ask for this policy to be reversed and canceled. We pray this in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "Do not keep silent, O God! Do not hold Your peace, and do not be still, O God!" (Psalm 83:1)
3. Oklahoma Repeals Common Core - Townhall.com
Gov. Mary Fallin (R-Okla.) signed House Bill 3399 repealing the state's Common Core education standards. The bill now reverts all standards back to the state standards from 2010. Teachers will adhere to these until new standards can be written by a coalition of state leaders, teachers, and parents. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we lift up praise to You that Oklahoma has taken a stand for their children and is removing this vile curriculum from their schools. May other states choose to follow this example, in Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Luke 12:34)
4. Wisconsin Gay Marriage Ban Struck Down By Federal Judge - Huffington Post
Wisconsin's ban on gay marriage has been struck down by a federal judge. "Because my review of that law convinces me that plaintiffs are entitled to the same treatment as any heterosexual couple, I conclude that the Wisconsin laws banning marriage between same-sex couples are unconstitutional," U.S. District Judge Barbara Crabb wrote in her ruling.
This is the 14th federal ruling against state marriage bans since last June, when the Supreme Court ruled the federal Defense of Marriage Act was unconstitutional. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we bring this concern before Your throne. As the article states, this is the 14th time that a judge has taken it upon himself or herself to override what the citizens of a state have voted upon and asked to be followed. Have mercy, Father, as we know this is something that violates Your ways. We fall in repentance before You for all these actions. We pray in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!" (Luke 12:5)
5. Anti-American sentiment growing in Russia - USA Today
Anti-American sentiment here is growing as Russia responds to Western sanctions over Ukraine, and that is worrying expats and foreigners in this country. Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a controversial law this week making it a criminal offense to fail to report dual citizenship. It's a bid to keep track of potential foreign agents. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, this article reflects how the actions of the US administration are evoking counter hostility and rising concerns from Russian leadership and her people. Have mercy on Your remnant and Your special people in Russia, Father, and extend Your arm to be in the midst of all that is arising in these provocations and confrontations, in Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you." (Deuteronomy 31:6)
6. Iranian president visiting Turkey, will sign agreements strengthening ties - Jerusalem Post
Turkey and the Islamic Republic of Iran are set to sign six new agreements to strengthen political and economic cooperation during Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's visit to Turkey on Monday, reported Turkey's Hurriyet Daily News on Saturday. The visit will be Iran's first presidential trip to Turkey since 1996. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we come before You to lift up the news contained in this article. Father, arise and be in the midst of all that is discussed by Iran and Turkey, exposing it so that Your special land Israel and her people will know what has been agreed upon by these two nations. We see this alliance as another sign of the lineup of the nations in the end times, and of Your soon coming, Lord. We ask you, Father, to protect Your people. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "There is no one like the God of Jeshurun (Israel), who rides the heavens to help you, and in His excellency on the clouds. The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms; He will thrust out the enemy from before you, and will say, 'Destroy!'" (Deuteronomy 33:26-27)
7. Spain approves 'law of return' for Jews - Times of Israel
Cabinet passes draft law granting citizenship to exiles' descendants - and allowing them dual nationality The Spanish government has approved a draft bill that proposes to grant citizenship to descendants of Spanish Jews who were forced into exile 500 years ago.
The draft bill was introduced in February by Spanish Justice Minister Alberto Ruiz-Gallardon, who told JTA it was meant to "repair a historical error," a reference to the Spanish Inquisition which began in 1492. The Inquisition forced hundreds of thousands of Jews to flee the Iberian Peninsula or convert to Christianity in an attempt to escape religious persecution led by the Catholic Church and the Spanish royal house. The draft bill states that applications will be accepted for two years only from the moment the bill is passed and goes into effect, and up to three years in special cases. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father we offer thanks and praise that Spain is now acknowledging the huge injustice that was committed against Your special people so long ago. I am not sure how many will return. However the admittance by Spain that this was a terrible wrong is wonderful, for which we offer praise to You alone Father. In the Name of Jesus we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord, but those who deal truthfully are His delight." (Proverbs 12:22)
8. Poroshenko sworn in as Ukraine's president - AP
Ukraine's new president on Saturday called for dialogue with the country's east, gripped by a violent separatist insurgency, and for armed groups to lay down their weapons but said he won't talk with rebels he called "gangsters and killers."
Petro Poroshenko's inaugural address after taking the oath of office in parliament gave little sign of a quick resolution to the conflict in the east, which Ukrainian officials say has left more than 200 people dead. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, we ask for healing for the people of Ukraine, which has had so much conflict and violence through the years. We ask You to let your remnant and Your special people feel Your presence and to know You are abiding with them. We ask also for You to make Yourself fully known by the leadership of this nation, and to manifest Your plans and purposes for this land. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live." (Deuteronomy 30:19)
9. Islamic prayers to be held at the Vatican - Al Arabiya News
For the first time in history, Islamic prayers and readings from the Quran will be heard at the Vatican on Sunday, in a move by Pope Francis to usher in peace between Israelis and Palestinians.
Francis issued the invitation to Israeli President Shimon Peres and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas during his visit last week to Jordan, Israel, and the Palestinian Authority.
Abbas, Peres, and Francis will be joined by Jewish, Christian and Islamic religious leaders, a statement released by Peres's spokesperson said, according to the Times of Israel.
Holy See officials on Friday said the evening prayers would be a "pause in politics" and had no political aim other than to rekindle the desire for Israeli-Palestinian peace at the political and popular level, according to the Associated Press. (Read more)
- Father, we cannot conceive of such evil being allowed to enter the Vatican. We take authority over the curses of Islam spoken aloud inside this building and we send those curses back upon the heads of those who speak them.
Lord God, this is also the time of separation. We see clearly those whose allegiance belongs totally to You, and who instead are now embracing false gods. Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. In Your Name, amen.
- "How the faithful city has become a harlot! It was full of justice, righteousness lodged in it, but now murderers." (Isaiah 1:21)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"For behold, the Lord is coming out of His place; He will come down and tread on the high places of the earth." (Micah 1:3)
Please note: The source for all the headlines and prayers below is Bridges for Peace.
1. Netanyahu on Formation of Palestinian Unity Government - Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said: "Today [June 2], Abu Mazen said yes to terrorism and no to peace. This is the direct continuation of Abu Mazen's policy of refusing peace. While Israel has carried out courageous and painful steps on behalf of the diplomatic process and continues to be committed to peace, Abu Mazen has refused to extend the negotiations, has rejected the American framework document, continues to incite against Israel, has unilaterally acceded to UN treaties and has now forged a pact with the Hamas terrorist organization. (Read more)
Pray for Prime Minister Netanyahu and the leadership of Israel to trust in the Lord and remain strong against the duplicity from a recently "unified" Palestinian leadership. Beseech the Lord for intervention on behalf of His people and the Land of Israel as they face this next layer of opposition.
Our soul waits for the Lord; He is our help and our shield. For our heart shall rejoice in Him, because we have trusted in His holy name. - Psalm 33:20-22
2. IDF Stops Terrorist Attack
An armed terrorist approached Tapuah Junction Monday [Jun 2] night, opening fire at Israeli troops stationed there. Israel Defense Forces [IDF] soldiers and Israeli border police responded immediately, killing the terrorist and neutralizing the threat. The Palestinian terrorist fired at least six shots before Israeli forces stopped him.
The terrorist's gunfire injured a border policeman at the scene. Israeli forces prevented harm to nearby civilians, and no soldiers were killed during the attack. The Tapuah Junction is located in northern Shomron, an area with Israeli and Palestinian residents that is highly vulnerable to terror attacks. (Read more)
Ask God to continue bringing into the light the plans for these terrorist attacks against Israel. Thank Him for revealing the "shadow of death" this past week and for the diligence of Israeli security forces in responding to the danger.
He pours contempt on princes, and disarms the mighty. He uncovers deep things out of darkness, and brings the shadow of death to light.- Job 12:21-22
3. Israeli Troops on Golan Heights Fired Upon
Israeli troops stationed on Mt. Hermon overlooking the Golan Heights were targeted by an artillery round fired from a Syrian army position early Monday [June 2] morning.
The soldiers responded by firing a Tammuz anti-tank missile at the source of the fire. Neither injuries nor damage was reported by either side. Israeli forces were in action in the Gaza Strip as well with air force jets striking two targets in response to the firing of rockets into Israel. (Read more)
Petition the Almighty Father for protection for Israeli troops and citizens as artillery fire and rockets are increasingly fired into the nation from both the north and the south. Stand with Israel in prayer and thanksgiving for the Land that God gave to the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob as an everlasting possession.
- Also I give to you and your descendants after you the land in which you are a stranger, all the land of Canaan, as an everlasting possession; and I will be their God. - Genesis 17:8
4. Australia: East Jerusalem Not "Occupied" by Israel
Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott's government has decided to drop the word "occupied" when describing Israel's settlements [neighborhoods] in East Jerusalem, Australian Associated Press reported Thursday [June 5].
According to the report, the government said it was "unhelpful" at a time when the peace process was still viable. The move was announced following a fiery debate in the Australian legislature regarding the legality of Israel's settlements, the press agency reported. Australia's Attorney General George Brandis elaborated on the call, saying it was "unhelpful" to invoke history when speaking about the flashpoint area, citing what the Australian Associated Press called the ongoing Middle East peace process. (Read more)
Praise God that the Australian government has taken a bold stance in refusing to describe east Jerusalem neighborhoods as "occupied." Pray that other governments will join them and also take the next step by refusing to use the word "settlement," but rather communities or neighborhoods.
You will bring them in and plant them in the mountain of Your inheritance, in the place, O LORD, which You have made for Your own dwelling, the sanctuary, O Lord, which Your hands have established. - Exodus 15:17
5. World Talks on Iran's Nuclear Program Continue
The deadline for a final agreement over the scope of Iran's nuclear program is quickly approaching. Nuclear experts met this week (Jun 5-6) to prepare for the fifth meeting between Iran and the P5+1 (members of the UN Security Council + Germany) set to take place in Vienna June 16-20.
Opinions are mixed as to whether or not the July 20 deadline can be met. Negotiators had planned to start drafting the final agreement at their May 14-16 meeting. However, there was still a significant distance between the two sides over various issues, for instance the number of centrifuges Iran will be allowed to have in operation, and consequently they did not begin the drafting process. (Read more)
Beseech God, who is the Lord, that this clear and present danger will be seen for the darkness it can bring. Pray that any schemes to ease sanctions and continue nuclear weapons programs will be absolutely thwarted for the protection of Israel and the world.
The Lord brings the counsel of the nations to nothing; He makes the plans of the peoples of no effect. The counsel of the Lord stands forever, the plans of His heart to all generations. Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people He has chosen as His own inheritance. - Psalm 33:10-12
D-Day on the Hill
Speaker Boehner on the 70th Anniversary of D-Day
House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) issued the following statement on the 70th anniversary of the June 6, 1944, D-Day airborne and amphibious landing of Allied forces, officially known as Operation Overlord:
"In the early morning hours of June 6, 1944, came the first reports of the Allied landings on the Normandy beaches of France. The usual pace of life on the home front ground to a halt as people huddled around radios eagerly awaiting the emerging details. Americans knew of the importance of these landings. They knew the outcome of the war was still in doubt and the price in blood to defeat Nazi Germany would be exorbitant-beyond what had already been paid.
"On radio that evening President Franklin D. Roosevelt led the American people in a prayer asking God's protection for our troops. 'Lead them straight and true,' he prayed, 'give strength to their arms, stoutness to their hearts, steadfastness in their faith.' His prayer gave clear purpose to their mission, and he asked that all Americans remain in continual prayer for strength.
"Today, 70 years on, Americans should again pause to reflect on the events of D-Day. For many Allied troops, June 6 was their last day; for others it was the start of an arduous and costly march to victory in Europe. The American soldiers, sailors, and coast guardsmen sent to Normandy pursued their assignments doggedly. They exemplified a generation that faced an horrific war with solemnity and courage. We owe them a debt we cannot repay . . . (Christian Coalition) Read more.
International Prayer Connections
International Prayer Connections
This month's issue of International Prayer Connections is filled with articles that will truly bless your time in intercession before the Lord.
Some of the topics include:Lessons about Prayer
European Trumpet Call
Iraq and Syria Initiatives
India's Prime Minister
Pray for China
Brunei's Stuns the World
Pray for Children
Peace Initiatives - Middle East
30Days of Prayer - Muslim World
To view this month's edition of International Prayer Connections, please go here.
Senate Passes Bill: D-Day Prayer at WWII Memorial
Senator Portman and Senator Landrieu's Effort to Commemorate
FDR's D-Day Prayer with the Nation at the WWII Memorial Passes Senate
On the eve of the 70th Anniversary of D-Day, the World War II Memorial Prayer Act of 2013 (S.1044), bipartisan legislation introduced by U.S. Senators Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Mary Landrieu (D-La.), passed the Senate by Unanimous Consent. Portman and Landrieu's legislation would direct the Secretary of the Interior to install a plaque or inscription at the National World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C. honoring the words that President Franklin D. Roosevelt prayed with the nation on June 6, 1944. Portman originally introduced the bill last Congress with Senator Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.), and a companion bill, led by Ohio Congressman Bill Johnson, passed the U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly during the 112th Congress by a vote of 386-26.
"Every day, countless Americans volunteer to serve our country. Many more before them have made the greatest sacrifice of all, giving their lives to defend our freedoms. On D-Day, our nation mourned our men overseas who fell while combatting tyranny. President Roosevelt asked us to come together to pray for these courageous heroes, and his words provided strength and comfort to a grieving nation," said Sen. Portman. "At no cost to the taxpayer, our bill will immortalize this extraordinary prayer on the World War II Memorial so it becomes a permanent reminder of the sacrifice of not just those who fought in World War II, but also of the men and women who fight for us today and all those who lay down their lives for the cause of liberty. Now that the bill has passed the Senate, we are one step closer to ensuring that this powerful prayer will be added to the World War II Memorial, and I urge swift passage in the House of Representatives." (Christian Coalition of America) Read more.
President Roosevelt's D-Day Prayer
President Roosevelt's D-Day Prayer
"Almighty God: Our sons, pride of our nation, this day have set upon a mighty endeavor, a struggle to preserve our Republic, our religion, and our civilization, and to set free a suffering humanity. They fight not for the lust of conquest. They fight to end conquest. They fight to liberate. They fight to let justice arise, and tolerance and goodwill among all Thy people. They yearn but for the end of battle, for their return to the haven of home. Some will never return. Embrace these, Father, and receive them, Thy heroic servants, into Thy kingdom. And for us at home -- fathers, mothers, children, wives, sisters, and brothers of brave men overseas - help us, Almighty God, to rededicate ourselves in renewed faith in Thee in this hour of great sacrifice. And, O Lord, give us faith. Give us faith in Thee; faith in our sons; faith in each other; faith in our united crusade.Thy will be done, Almighty God. Amen."
(Source: Gary Bauer)
The Good News Corner
The Good News Corner:
93-Year Old Veteran Reenacts Heroic D-Day Jump
Watch the following two YouTube videos in order for all the details.
First, go here.
And then, go here.
Signs and Wonders
Signs and Wonders:
'Beast' Asteroid That Will Buzz By Earth Big Enough to Wipe Out A City
"The Beast" is coming! That's the nickname astronomers have given to an asteroid that will nearly sideswipe Earth this Sunday, reports Space.com. Near-Earth asteroid 2014 HQ124 will be a mere 777,000 miles at its closest approach to our planet, that's just over 3 times the distance from the Earth to the moon; a close shave by cosmic standards. (Source: CBS, Tampa Bay) Read more here.
> > > Editor's note:
Praise the Lord that this one missed us!
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near."
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
"Onward, Christian Soldiers!"
"Do not be discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God's." (2 Chronicles 20:15)
Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
With the cross of Jesus going on before.
Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
Forward into battle see His banners go!
Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
With the cross of Jesus going on before.
At the sign of triumph Satan's host doth flee;
On then, Christian soldiers, on to victory!
Hell's foundations quiver at the shout of praise;
Brothers lift your voices, loud your anthems raise.
Like a mighty army moves the church of God;
Brothers, we are treading where the saints have trod.
We are not divided, all one body we,
One in hope and doctrine, one in charity.
What the saints established that I hold for true.
What the saints believèd, that I believe too.
Long as earth endureth, men the faith will hold,
Kingdoms, nations, empires, in destruction rolled.
Crowns and thrones may perish, kingdoms rise and wane,
But the church of Jesus constant will remain.
Gates of hell can never gainst that church prevail;
We have Christ's own promise, and that cannot fail.
Onward then, ye people, join our happy throng,
Blend with ours your voices in the triumph song.
Glory, laud and honor unto Christ the King,
This through countless ages men and angels sing.