Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
"A National Prayer Alliance"
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
"Praying for All in Authority"
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
" . . . the greatest of these is love." (I Corinthians 13:13)
Thank you for praying for the Persecuted Church!
Please visit the website for the International Christian Concern to find ongoing needs for prayer among the persecuted around the world. Thank you.
||The Daily Brief|
1. Feds want to track your DNA like a license plate - WND
The federal government doesn't just want the ability to track down your car; it wants to be able to track down your body as well. Just as details are emerging about a controversial, nationwide vehicle-surveillance database, WND has learned the federal government is planning an even more invasive spy program using "physiological signatures" to track down individuals. (Read more)
- Abba Father, this report is more evidence of how as a nation we are being closed in and tracked like non human things with our constitutional rights stripped away. Help us Father, as the tracking is increasingly invasive, with so many possibilities of being used in twisted ways. In the Name of Jesus we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "It is time for You to act, O Lord, for they have regarded Your law as void."
2. Wyoming officials take EPA to court after ruling gives land to tribes - Fox News
Wyoming officials are taking the Environmental Protection Agency to court in a bid to reverse a sweeping agency ruling that transferred more than 1 million acres of land -- including an entire city -- to Native American tribes.
Wyoming Attorney General Peter K. Michael filed his state's appeal Friday morning before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit. The state wants either the EPA to reverse, or the courts to overturn, a December ruling on a request from the Northern Arapaho and Eastern Shoshone tribes.
The tribes had sought "state status" in order to administer air quality monitoring. The EPA, in the course of reviewing the request, determined the land in question actually belongs to the Wind River Indian Reservation and has for more than a century, despite a 1905 law opening it to non-tribal members.
The decision, which encompassed the city of Riverton, caused intense controversy as officials warned about a range of disruptive consequences, including the possibility that jailed tribal members could now challenge their convictions. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, it is mind boggling how governmental agencies are just taking it upon themselves to make decrees and rulings that impacts peoples' lives and assets as if no other laws exist. There appears to be no legitimate legal due process being followed. We ask You to rise up, extend Your right hand and bring down all lies and schemes in this court case, so that property and personal rights can be fairly administered, in Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the wicked." (Proverbs 24: 19)
3. Workers at Tennessee Volkswagen factory reject United Auto Workers union - Fox News
Workers at a Volkswagen factory in Tennessee have voted against union representation in a devastating defeat for the United Auto Workers union's effort to make inroads in the South. The setback is a major defeat for the UAW's effort to expand in the growing South, where foreign automakers have 14 assembly plants, eight built in the past decade, said Kristin Dziczek, director of the labor and industry group at the Center for Automotive Research, an industry think tank in Michigan. "If this was going to work anywhere, this is where it was going to work," she said of Chattanooga. (Read more)
- Abba Father, we lift up praise for this decision considering the corruption repeatedly reported or personally experienced by many in this nation from the actions of various unions. May the workers' vote stand, Father, so that Your justice and ways can move forth into our society again. We pray in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty." (1 Corinthians 1:27)
4. Report: Obama offers UN climate agreement that doesn't need congressional approval - Daily Caller
The Obama administration is quietly forging ahead with plans to offer up an international commitment to reduce carbon dioxide emissions to fight global warming - without congressional approval. Reuters reports that the U.S. submitted its vision for a new international global warming agreement to the United Nations on Wednesday, suggesting a "bifurcated approach" of the 1997 Kyoto Protocol - placing different emissions targets for rich and poor countries.
"So this is just the latest example of President Obama's contempt for obeying the Constitution and our laws," Myron Ebell, director of the Center of Energy and Environment at the Competitive Enterprise Institute, told The Daily Caller News Foundation. "In the past, rulers who act as if the law does not apply to them were called tyrants." (Read more)
- Abba Father, here is another report of the violation of our constitutional rights as citizens, with our federal executive branch leader making an agreement with the UN that will negatively affect our energy production and costs. We stand in the gap and seek forgiveness, Father, asking for Your help. We pray in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "He who walks with integrity walks securely, but he who perverts his ways will become known." (Proverbs 10:9)
5. ObamaCare patients with serious pre-existing diseases could face expensive drug costs - Fox News
People with serious pre-existing diseases, precisely those the president aimed to help with ObamaCare, could find themselves paying for expensive drug treatments with no help from the health care exchanges. Those with expensive diseases such as lupus or multiple sclerosis face something called a "closed drug formulary."
Dr. Scott Gottlieb of the American Enterprise Institute explains,"if the medicine that you need isn't on that list, it's not covered at all. You have to pay completely out of pocket to get that medicine, and the money you spend doesn't count against your deductible, and it doesn't count against your out of pocket limits, so you're basically on your own."
The plan had claimed it would rescue those with serious pre-existing conditions.
- Heavenly Father, one of the key promises for this healthcare law was that it would help those with serious pre-existing conditions, yet this article points out how medical drugs certain of these conditions need are not even being covered. People do not have the huge sums of money that the pharmacy companies charge for these drugs, so this is a death threatening broken promise. Father we ask for mercy for these people, in Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.
- "Wait on the Lord, and keep His way, and He shall exalt you to inherit the land; when the wicked are cut off, you shall see it." (Psalm 37:34)
6. Number of chemicals linked to autism and other disorders doubled in past 7 years, study shows - Fox News
The number of industrial chemicals with known links to neurodevelopmental disabilities like autism has more than doubled in the past seven years, according to new research published in The Lancet Neurology.
As rates of autism and attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) increase worldwide, researchers believe widespread exposure to these chemicals among children may be contributing to a "silent epidemic" of people with neurodevelopmental disabilities. (Read more)
- Abba Father, this is a very troubling report which states how things happening to our foods and our environment are creating quite destructive side effects for people. We ask You to be in the midst as all is exposed so that the creators of these destructive foods, environmental poisonings and drugs may be forced to modify and clean up what they have created. In the Name of Jesus we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "For there is nothing hidden which will not be revealed, nor has anything been kept secret but that it should come to light." (Mark 4:22)
7. Expert: Iran ships a dry run for later nuclear/EMP attack; humiliate Obama - Washington Examiner
Iran's surprising decision to move warships off the Atlantic coast poses a potential catastrophic threat to America from a nuclear or electromagnetic pulse attack, according to an expert who foresaw Iran's move. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, it appears we as a nation are reaping what our leadership has created in its negotiations with other nations. Father, we plead for mercy against the type of attacks this article is reporting. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Do not forsake me, O Lord; O my God, be not far from me! Make haste to help me, O Lord, my salvation!" (Psalm 38:21-22)
8. Saudi Arabia May Go Nuclear Because of Obama's Iran Deal - The Daily Beast
...Until recently, the pursuit of nuclear enrichment-or the fuel cycle-was considered by arms control experts as a tell-tale sign of a clandestine weapons program. Nuclear fuel is sold to all members of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, but it's far more costly to build the infrastructure and produce it indigenously. Saudi Arabia appears to be getting more serious about going down that path. (Read more)
- Abba Father, this article is reporting another country going fully nuclear with all the threats and ramifications from such a development. We ask You to rise up and abide in the midst of all these developments, directing Your People, both Israel and Your remnant, how to respond and prepare. We pray in the Name of Jesus, Amen and Amen.
- "Save Your people, and bless Your inheritance; shepherd them also, and bear them up forever." (Psalm 28:9)
9. US army builds fake city to shoot at during training - Telegraph UK
The US army has built a fake city designed to be used during combat training exercises. The 300 acre 'town' includes a five story embassy, a bank, a school, an underground subway and train station, a mosque, a football stadium, and a helicopter landing zone.
Located in Virginia, the realistic subway station comes complete with subway carriages and the train station has real train carriages. The subway carriages even carry the same logo as the carriages in Washington DC . There are also bridges and several other structures which can be transformed into different scenarios. (Read more)
- Lord God, only You know why this town has been built on our soil so that our military can train to protect our people from all scenarios described in this report. We ask that this training be carried out with the utmost level of professionalism, and that You would bless our military leaders with Your wisdom as they do so. In Jesus name, amen.
- "'Do not be afraid of their faces, for I am with you to deliver you,' says the Lord."
(Jeremiah 1: 8)
10. World's Largest Solar Plant Scorching Birds in Nevada Desert - Breitbart
It's a conundrum for environmentalists: a solar power plant that is the largest of its type in the world and can supply power for 140,000 homes is also killing dozens of birds. The Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System, which uses hundreds of thousands of mirrors near the California-Nevada border, is capable of producing nearly 400 megawatts, but its roughly 350,000 solar-thermal, computer-controlled mirrors which reflect sunlight to boilers on the top of 459-foot towers, has apparently already killed dozens of birds. The intense 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit around the towers is burning birds flying through its path. (Read more)
- Heavenly Father, it appears whenever an alternative form of energy is used, such as these solar panels or wind turbines, there are dangers to the environment, just as the coal based production of energy makes air pollution. However for the coal burning, the forests You created takes the pollution and converts it to be what we need, while with these other processes the death of birds and animals result. We are the ones who have overcut the trees and not replanted. Forgive us Father and be in the midst of this energy producing process, directing it to be Your ways, not our sin filled ideas. In Jesus' Name we pray, Amen and Amen.
- "Treasures of wickedness profit nothing, but righteousness delivers from death." (Proverbs 10:2)
||The Middle East in Focus|
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"There are many purposes in a man's heart, but the counsel of Jehovah shall stand." (Proverbs 19:21)
1. Netanyahu Warns World Over Iran Aggression - Israel National News
"Israel's policy is clear and is active on two tracks: First, to expose Iran's unchanging aggressive policy. Second, to demand the dismantling of Iran's enrichment capacity," the Prime Minister reiterated. "Iran does not need any centrifuges for nuclear power for civilian purposes."
2. Israel's Gas Field Wealth - Russia's Hook In The Jaw? - Prophecy News Watch
Israel may be popping the champagne, but clearly her political foes and economic competitors are not. Chief among them may well be Russian President, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin. These developments are expected to undermine Putin's efforts to rebuild Russia's influence in the Middle East, and weaken his current strong hand in Europe.
3. Why Jerusalem renters are wary of the Messiah's arrival- CS Monitor
Many Jerusalem residents believe not only that the Messiah will return, but that his arrival is imminent - so imminent they have taken legal precautions to ensure they can return to Jerusalem immediately upon his return.
4. Abbas: We don't want to divide Jerusalem, or flood Israel with refugees - Times of Israel
The Palestinians want East Jerusalem as their capital but do not seek to divide the city, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said Sunday. He also said he did not want to flood Israel with millions of Palestinian refugees.
5. Hamas: We Will Treat NATO Forces as 'Occupiers' - Arutz Sheva
Palestinian Authority (PA) Chairman Mahmoud Abbas's suggestion that NATO forces be deployed in the future Palestinian state is not well-received by his rivals, the Hamas rulers of Gaza.
||In Virginia . . .|
Judge Jilts Virginia Voters on Marriage
Published by the Family Research Council
Friday, Feb. 14, 2014
This Valentine's Day, Cupid isn't the one shooting an arrow through voters' hearts -- District Judge Arenda Wright Allen is. Thursday, in a stunning, late-night ruling, Virginia became the latest state to fall in the burst of same-sex "marriage" challenges hitting states. While the rest of Old Dominion was digging out of another snow storm, Allen was plowing through the Commonwealth's constitution, inventing a right to homosexual "marriage."
For Virginians, whose distinguished history includes so many founding fathers, the decision was a mockery of the ideals our first leaders stood for. Unfortunately for the Commonwealth, Virginia is just the latest victim of a judicial free-for-all that's attacking state amendments across Utah, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Kentucky. Unlike the Bluegrass ruling earlier this week, which forced Kentucky to recognize out-of-state "marriages," Allen's decision struck down the entire Virginia marriage amendment. That distinction makes Virginia the first southern state to see their constitution trampled.
Allen, who was appointed by President Obama in 2011, didn't waste an opportunity to inject her personal politics into the 41-page opinion, insisting that the state had denied "Virginia's gay and lesbian citizens the fundamental freedom to choose to marry." Of course, as any student of the Constitution knows, there is no fundamental freedom to homosexual "marriage." What there is a fundamental freedom to do is self-govern -- a right this judge conveniently ignored when she substituted her own agenda for the judgment of the General Assembly and the majority of Virginia voters. In her rush to get her opinion out the door she apparently didn't have time to brush up on her constitution, confusing statements from the Declaration of Independence with the Constitution.
. . . While the courts are desperately trying to steal Congress's job, Senators Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Mike Lee (R-Utah) are ready to remind the bench who wears the legislative pants. Yesterday, the duo introduced the Senate version of Rep. Randy Weber's (R-Texas) State Marriage Defense Act to give constitutional amendments like Virginia's the protection they deserve. "How a state should define marriage should be left up to the citizens of each state," said Sen. Lee. "It is clear the Obama administration finds the principles of federalism inconvenient in its effort to force states to redefine the institution of marriage. The State Marriage Defense Act provides an important protection for states, respecting the right to choose for themselves how each will treat the institution of marriage under the law." As outrageous as this latest attack on states' rights is, let's hope it awakens America again -- not just to the attack on marriage, but the attack on the rule of law by activist judges.
||Global Warming, Anyone?|
Global Warming, Anyone?
Several southern states are getting pummeled by a "catastrophic" winter storm. It is also paralyzing airports along the east coast and much of the nation's capital with some predictions calling for close to a foot of snow overnight. I'm sure folks in Atlanta would welcome a little global warming right now.
Further north, experts are predicting that Lake Superior might completely freeze over. Ice already covers more than 80% of the all the Great Lakes. Yet Barack Obama and left-wing politicians continue to clamor on about how we need to empower big government to impose more regulations and new taxes in order to combat global warning.
Here's something to keep in mind every time you hear a Democrat talk about global warming: According to Dr. Roy Spencer, a former NASA scientist, 95% of the computer models upon which the left is basing its global warming claims and public policy are wrong.
What kind of policies are we talking about? Well, the EPA is proposing new regulations that could increase electricity prices 70% to 80%. I wonder how many people using electricity to heat their homes this winter would like to see their bills increase 80%.
If you don't want to pay higher utility bills or $7-a-gallon for gas, vote for conservatives this November! (Gary Bauer)
||Opinion: USA is under "A Government of Tyranny"|
Tom DeLay: Americans Now Live 'Under a Government of Tyranny'
President Barack Obama has so ignored the principles of the Constitution that Americans are now "living under a government of tyranny," Tom DeLay, the former Texas congressman and House Speaker says.
"[T]he Constitution creates a government that reflects the principles given to us in the Declaration of Independence. [It] can only survive and can only carry us into the future if you have people that believe in those principles and protect the separation of powers," DeLay told "The Steve Malzberg Show" on Newsmax TV.
"What we have now is a president who has accelerated the progressive movement that started back with Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson . . . to such an extent that I now can tell you that we're living under a government of tyranny.
"When you have a president that is cruel and unfair to the people using his powers to undermine the Constitution of the United States [in order] to create a . . . . monarchy within the presidency, and ignores the Congress or the judicial branch, you have tyranny." (Newsmax) Read more.
||Tragic News from Belgium|
Tragic News from Belgium:
Belgium Parliament passes law allowing children to be euthanized
BRUSSELS, February 13, 2014 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Belgium has become the first country in the world to approve euthanasia for children of all ages after the country's parliamentarians passed the controversial bill today in a vote of 86 to 44, with 12 MPs abstaining.
Alex Schadenberg, executive director of the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition, called the move a "form of abandonment."
"Belgium has abandoned the elderly, and now they are saying they will abandon their children," he told LifeSiteNews.
Schadenberg said the new law is not about ending suffering for children with disabilities, but about expanding the "categories that are eligible for death."
The bill was first introduced in December 2012.
The law extends to those under the age of 18 who request euthanasia with parental consent. It also applies to younger children requesting euthanasia after a doctor has certified that the child fully understands the implications of the decision.
"This is the horrific logic of euthanasia: Once killing is accepted as an answer to human difficulty and suffering, the power of sheer logic dictates that there is no bottom," wrote Wesley J. Smith about the law.
The proposed law had been protested by a number of groups that said the existing 2002 euthanasia legislation has been an unmitigated disaster.
Schadenberg said he was not surprised to see the bill pass, since he said the entire euthanasia project in Belgium is being "pushed blindly" by a government that has ignored all the abuses currently taking place within existing euthanasia laws.
"Euthanasia has been really out of control in Belgium for quite some time. We know from studies that about 32 percent of euthanasia deaths go without requests. Over half of euthanasia deaths are not reported," he said.
Schadenberg said the new law will only make it easier for doctors to indiscriminately and without repercussion end the lives of the most vulnerable deemed unfit to live. (Read more)
||The Good News Corner|
The Good News Corner:
Australian Senate defeats move to abandon Lord's Prayer at start of day
"Two-thirds of Australians identify as Christian and the vast bulk of the other one-third accept our heritage and practices without the divisiveness injected by this latest Greens' outburst." - Sen. Eric Abetz
(Canberra, Australia)-In only 24 seconds the latest effort to have the Lord's Prayer removed from the start of the Australian Senate's day was defeated, with senators from both the coalition government and the opposition Labor Party voting against it.
Under the Senate's standing order, the president of the Senate is required to read the parliamentary prayer upon taking his chair at the start of the day, regardless of adjournment or suspension from the day before.
Sen. Eric Abetz, leader of the government in the Senate, strongly supports the saying of the Lord's Prayer at the beginning of each parliamentary sitting day. Abetz commented, "The latest Green attack is part of their ongoing attempt to rewrite our history and deny our heritage."
In Australia, settled in 1788, it was only at the time of federation (and the formation of the Commonwealth of Australia) in 1901 that the Presbyterian Church of Australia sent a petition calling for Senate proceedings to be opened with a daily prayer. The prayer had not been included in the temporary orders for the running of Parliament. With the support of other organizations, who sent communications endorsing the idea, the Senate adopted the petition with a standing order drafted in 1901. It was formally adopted with all other standing orders in 1903. (LifeSiteNews) Read more.
[Also reported by: Breaking Christian News]
||Signs and Wonders|
Signs and Wonders:
Ice Expert Predicts Lake Superior Will Completely Freeze Over This Winter
Lake Superior hasn't completely frozen over in two decades. But an expert on Great Lakes ice says there's a "very high likelihood" that the three-quadrillion-gallon lake will soon be totally covered with ice thanks to this winter's record-breaking cold.
The ice cover on the largest freshwater lake in the world hit a 20-year record of 91 percent on Feb. 5, 1994.
Jay Austin, associate professor at the Large Lakes Observatory in Duluth, Minn., told CNSNews.com that he expects that record will be broken this winter when the most northern of the Great Lakes becomes totally shrouded in ice.
The thickness of the ice on Lake Superior "varies tremendously," from a very thin sheet in some areas near the coast to several feet thick in other spots, Austin says. The National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reports that the mean thickness of the lake ice is 26 cm, or a little over 10 inches.
Austin attributes the large amount of ice on the lake to the "extraordinary cold winter we've had," pointing out that Duluth recently experienced an all-time record of 23 straight days of below-zero temperatures. (CNSNews.com) Read more.
"And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men's hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near." (Luke 11:25-28)
||Worship With Us Today!|
Worship With Us Today!
"Oceans" (Where Feet May Fail) - United
ABOUT CAPITOL HILL PRAYER PARTNERS
Our Mission Statement
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners (CHPP) is a ministry which is positioned on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., helping members of the Body of Christ to "pray for those in authority over us" in our federal government. Our primary purpose is to offer intercession on site for the members of Congress and their staffs each day that the Senate and the House of Representatives are in session; and our chief prayer focus is that "God's will be done in earth, as it is in heaven" [Matthew 6:10].
Because Jesus Christ has shed His blood for all, we, too, pray for ALL, in a nonpartisan manner. Also, because the scriptures indicate that "the effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much" (James 4:17), we are confident that fervent prayer, offered in the halls of the highest chambers of government in our land, can avail much for America. Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes those who feel called to join us, engaging in this strategic work of intercession for our nation: "For there is no power but of God; the powers that be are ordained of God." [Romans 13:1]
Friends may participate by receiving our daily prayer alerts. You may contact us at email@example.com for more information. CHPP is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt ministry. Thank you and God bless you!
Learn more about CHPP by going here.
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners welcomes all who wish to pray for our leaders to join us in prayer for our nation. You may sign up to receive our alerts by sending an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, requesting that your name be added to our list of subscribers.
CHPP, Facebook, and You!
Due to issues of security, Capitol Hill Prayer Partners has a standing policy of not pursuing the various social networking opportunities to broadcast our message. Those networks may include Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and others . . .
However, we continue to encourage you to share our alerts with your own networks of prayer partners, as you are able to do so.
If you are on Facebook (for example), may we suggest the following strategy??
Simply refer your friends to our website on your own Facebook page, where they can read our alerts - and subscribe - for themselves.
Our website is located here:
||Donate to CHPP!|
We Welcome Your Gifts
Capitol Hill Prayer Partners (CHPP) is a 501(c)(3), tax- exempt, faith-based, ministry, dedicated to praying for our leaders (1 Tim. 2:1-4). CHPP relies solely on the gifts of our readers to continue this work; thus we greatly appreciate your help in supporting this publication. Offerings may be sent to: Capitol Hill Prayer Partners, P.O. Box 5152, Herndon, VA 20172-1970. Please make checks payable to: CHPP. THANK YOU!
Now you can also donate online by going here.
Or . . . if you prefer, simply paste this link into your browser to access our secure online donor system:
"The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit." (Philippians 4:23)
||This Week's Bible Study|
VISIT OUR BLOG!
CHPP's blog includes archives of past editions of all of our alerts, as well as features on praying for the government, Israel, and other key issues.
Come visit us by going here.
Editorial opinions that are occasionally cited on the Daily Brief reflect the beliefs of the author and are not necessarily our own.
Today's Birthdays on the Hill
Almost every day of the year, a member of Congress or a Senator is celebrating a birthday. Let's lift up these men and women, day by day in prayer on their special day, that God might bless them and show them His love for each one. Indeed, let's move together in obedience to the Lord's mandate in I Timothy 2:1-4. It is written:
"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth."
Today's Birthday Greetings go to:
- Rep. Eliot Engel (NY)
- Rep. Brett Guthrie (KY)
(Monday was a federal holiday, so we did not publish the Brief.)
We want to send birthday greetings for Feb. 17th to:
- Rep. Randy Forbes (VA)
- Rep. Suzan DelBene (WA)
- Rep. Jim Jordan (OH)
(Source: Bible Pathways Ministries. www.biblepathway.org)