Capitol Hill Prayer Partners
P.O. Box 5152
Herndon, VA 20172-1970
The Daily Brief
Thursday, December 12, 2013
On this second week of Advent, the second candle is lit . . . the Candle of Peace.
The Daily Brief
1. House approves bipartisan budget deal - Fox News
House approves a two-year budget plan crafted by Dem Sen. Murray and GOP Rep. Ryan, pictured, despite the objections of conservatives concerned it would increase spending in the short-term and liberals concerned it would not extend long-term jobless aid, sending measure to Senate. (Read more)
- Lord, we are continually faced with the compromise of sound fiscal policies in favor of foolish spending packages. Many conservatives have expressed dismay over this deal. We pray for Your mercy over America at this crucial vote.
We note, too, that this budget will: increase spending, raise taxes, and fund Obamacare for another two years. Father God, we cry out to You for mercy and for help in time of need. Please, please move upon the hearts of members of Congress and the Senate to block passage of this deal, before it is too late. In Your Name, we cry out for Mercy, amen.
- "When God arose to judgment, to save all the meek of the earth." (Psalm 76:9)
2. Debt Up $3T In Less Than 3 Yrs Under Boehner's Deals - CNS News
The new debt run up by the federal government since House Speaker John Boehner cut his first spending deal with President Barack Obama has now topped $3 trillion -- exceeding all the debt accumulated under all American presidents from George Washington through Ronald Reagan.
- As we continue to spend past logical limits, Lord, we pray that You will somehow help us. We are powerless, but You are powerful.
- "Love not sleep, lest you come to poverty; open your eyes" (Proverbs 20:13a)
3. McConnell Will Vote Against Budget Deal Brokered by Paul Ryan - Daily Caller
Add the Senate's top Republican to the list of those who will oppose the new budget deal, which conservatives are blasting for blowing through the mandated spending caps on government spending next year. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell will vote against the deal brokered by Republican Rep. Paul Ryan and Democratic Sen. Patty Murray, a knowledgeable source close to the Kentucky Republican told The Daily Caller on Wednesday.
While the budget proposal is expected to pass the Democratic-controlled Senate, McConnell joins a growing list of Republican senators - including Marco Rubio of Florida, Tom Coburn of Oklahoma and Rand Paul of Kentucky - who oppose the deal.
- Father God, we praise You for news of this movement in the Senate that will OPPOSE this budget deal and rescue our nation from cataclysmic debt . . . and two more years of the funding of the "Affordable Health Act" (Obamacare). Man is reporting that, because Minority Leader McConnell does not seem to have enough votes to block passage of this deal, all hope is now lost to do so.
So we appeal to You, Most High God and we say: whose report do we believe? WE BELIEVE THE REPORT OF THE LORD.
- It is written: "For nothing will be impossible with God."(Luke 1:37)
4. Senate Confirms Pillard To Appeals Court After All-Night Session - RTT News
Despite efforts by Republicans to delay the vote, the Senate confirmed President Barack Obama's nomination of Nina Pillard to serve on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals early Thursday morning. The Senate voted 51 to 44 in favor of Pillard's nomination, with the vote largely coming down along party lines.
The vote was not taken until almost 1 am ET on Thursday, as Republicans used procedural maneuvers to delay the final vote. The delay tactics by Republicans came in response to last month's controversial move to change the filibuster rules for most presidential nominations. (Read more)
- These "delaying tactics" by the Republican minority are being pursued so that the federal government is not overrun by liberal judges filling the benches of this nation. The Republicans will continue to pursue this course until their own time limit has run out, possibly as late as Saturday. These valiant men and women deserve our support in prayer and in action. Thank God for them! Amen.
- "And I looked, and arose and said to the nobles, to the leaders, and to the rest of the people, "Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, great and awesome, and fight for your brethren, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your houses."" (Neh. 4:14)
5. Testifying Before Congress Urging Action for American Pastor Saeed Abedini - ACLJ
Today, Pastor Saeed's wife, Naghmeh, . . . testified before Congress about American Pastor Saeed Abedini's worsening plight. The U.S. government must make Pastor Saeed a priority.(Read more)
- All who watched Naghmeh's stunning testimony before this Joint Congressional Committee this morning hailed her articulate and riveting presentation. As our fellow American citizen languishes in yet another night in this "hell hole" of a prison in Iran, let's raise up a chorus of intercession, yet once again, for his release. We serve a God who hears, and who answers, our prayers.
- "And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off?" (Luke 18:7)
6. Obama Plans to Bypass Congress Even More? Adds 'Executive Power' Czar To Staff - WND
A senior progressive strategist and former chief of staff for President Bill Clinton who specializes in the use of executive authority to bypass Congress is reportedly joining the White House. (Read more)
- Father, this is just what we do not need to see: increased power in the Executive Branch of our government. We ask that You would enter into this equation, and place a line of Your Shed Blood around the White House and around this new position and its czar. We thank You that, under Your Name and Your authority, this position will end up being a powerless fixture in the West Wing. We ask this in Jesus' Name, amen and amen.
- "'This far you may come, but no farther, And here your proud waves must stop!'" (Job 38:11)
7. Dr. James Dobson Sues Sebelius over Abortion Mandate - WND
'Comply and abandon your religious freedom, or resist and be fined for your faith'
Dr. James Dobson, the longtime family values advocate who now reaches millions through his Family Talk ministry, has filed a lawsuit against Health andHuman Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius over the Obamacare abortion mandate. "We believe that every human life, from the moment of conception, is sacred and a gift from God, and we cannot cooperate with this immoral mandate without violating our most deeply held religious beliefs," Dobson said. (Read more)
- Lift up Dr. James Dobson and his Family Talk Radio staff as they prepare to face the HHS Goliath on this critical issue. We know that God is on their side, as He, too, wishes to prevent abortions and to protect the life of the unborn. Pray!
- "Blessed be the Lord, who hath not given us as a prey to their teeth. Our soul is escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowlers: the snare is broken, and we are escaped. Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth." (Psalm 124:6-8)
The Middle East in Focus
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"You, O God, sent a plentiful rain, by which You sustained Your inheritance when it was weary."
1. In 'framework,' some see US shift to interim Israeli-Palestinian deal - Times of Israel
Amid simmering tensions over Iran policy, the Obama and Netanyahu governments appear to have quietly forged common ground in recent weeks on Israeli-Palestinian talks, with the United States accepting that a possible "framework" agreement might not address every outstanding issue in the negotiations.
2. Same-sex surrogacy bill highlights obstacles for marriage equality - Ynet News
The new surrogacy bill for single-sex parents advocated by Health Minister Yael German received praises in the legislative body, but the proposal faces many obstacles before it reaches the Ministerial Committee on Legislative Affairs and -- eventually -- the Knesset plenum.
3. Kerry due back in Israel in new push for 'framework' peace accord - Times of Israel
Secretary of State John Kerry, continuing a furious pace of shuttle diplomacy aimed at securing an elusive Israeli-Palestinian peace deal by the spring, was due in Israel on Thursday in an effort to get the two sides to forge a "framework agreement," which would outline particulars of a permanent status accord.
The Persecuted Church
Today's Focus: The Persecuted Church
"Deliver the poor and needy; Free them from the hand of the wicked." (Psalm 82:4)
Indonesian Citizens Forced to Display Religious Affiliation on ID Cards Fear Discrimination - Asia News
Jakarta (AsiaNews) - Civil society groups are up in arms against the government's decision to add religion to identity card On 26 November, in fact, parliament passed a law that officially recognises six religious groups: Muslims, Protestants, Catholics, Hindus, Buddhists and Confucians.
The latter group was re-introduced in 2006 during President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono's first terms of office following the patient work of his predecessor, Abdurrahman 'Gus Dur' Wahid, who was able to mitigate decades of hatred and resentment against Indonesia's Chinese community and culture.
Anyone not fitting this six-group division has to choose 'other', but this would expose them to attacks and "more or less" open discrimination. According to the decision's critics, the rule represents a "major obstacle" to the country's democratisation.
In the recent past, Indonesia has seen a rise in sectarian and confessional attacks against individuals and communities at the hands of the state, extremist groups and isolated fanatics. In each case, the violence was due to the fact that the victim was not a member "of our group".
For ordinary Indonesians, avoiding any reference to religion in their ID papers would have serious consequences because it could be construed as being "atheist", the worst thing that could happen to anyone. In fact, in Indonesia, the lack of references to God is immediately associated with Communism, which is so much hated by the country's rulers as it is by large segments of the population because of the bloody events of 1965.
On September 30 of that year, when Sukarno was president, high ranking army officers were attacked and several generals are killed. The incident was blamed on members of the Indonesian Communist Party (PKI). In 1967, when General Suharto took over (holding power until 1998), Chinese culture and the "religion" (Confucianism) of Sino-Indonesians were banned.
In the past, AsiaNews has reported on cases of discrimination and actual targeted attacks against people who are openly atheist, like the case of an Indonesian who came close to going to prison and receiving heavy corporal punishment because he wrote on his Facebook profile that he did not believe in God.
For more news about the Persecuted Church, and how you can be more involved in intercession for these precious saints, go here.
The Madison Report
The Madison Report
Week of Dec. 9 - 13, 2013
Executive and Judicial Nominees
Two weeks ago, Senator Harry Reid (D-NV) employed the "nuclear option" in the Senate, which abolished the filibuster on all votes for executive nominees and judges except for Supreme Court nominees. Given that Republicans, led by Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) never threatened to respond by filibustering all remaining legislation or objecting to procedural requests for unanimous consent, Democrats had nothing to fear by dramatically altering the rules of the Senate. Consequently, they have a free path to jam through the president's nominees before the end of the year with a simple party-line vote.
Democrats will attempt to pack the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, the second most important court in the country, with Obama's radical nominees. On Monday evening, the Senate will vote on Patricia Millett. [Passed that evening.] They might try to push through two other D.C. Circuit nominees, Robert Wilkins and Cornelia Pillard, later in the week. [Pillard was voted in at 12:07 a.m. last night.] Republicans had been blocking all D.C Circuit nominees because the court is currently split between Republican and Democrat appointees, and unlike other courts, this one actually has a very light caseload burden. The addition of three more liberals would be devastating for conservatives because this court has original jurisdiction over a lot of the constitutional issues with legislative and executive laws.
The Senate will likely vote on the nomination of Congressman Melvin Watt (D-NC) to be the next Director of the Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA). Conservatives strongly oppose Watt because during his career serving on the House Financial Services Committee, he was a consistent advocate for expanding the role of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac into the private housing market. He worked hand-in-glove with liberal Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA) to push the affordable housing agenda, which forced banks to underwrite risky loans to those who could not pay them back. He helped bring down the housing market, and by extension, the entire economy.
It would be a disaster for Watt to serve as the top regulator of those failed agencies as director of FHFA. It's akin to appointing the arsonist as the fire chief.
More Daily Brief Headlines
More Daily Brief Headlines
The following five headlines are repeated from yesterday' s edition of the Daily Brief, with prayers added.
1. Obama Faces Backlash Over New Corporate Powers In Secret Trade Deal - Huffington Post
The Obama administration appears to have almost no international support for controversial new trade standards that would grant radical new political powers to corporations, increase the cost of prescription medications and restrict bank regulation, according to two internal memos obtained by The Huffington Post. The memos, which come from a government involved in the 12-nation Trans-Pacific Partnership free trade negotiations, detail continued disputes in the talks over the deal. (Read more)
- Father God, we ask that You enter into this situation and stay the hand of those who would propel this "secret" treaty forward. We ask that this Trans-Pacific Partnership come under the scrutiny of public attention, so that any hidden clauses that would weaken our own trade practices would come to light and be deleted. Help us, O Lord, we pray. In Jesus' name, amen.
- "For the kingdom is the LORD'S And He rules over the nations." (Psalm 22:28)
2. U.S. Budget deal reached amid conservative opposition - Reuters
Budget negotiators in the Congress have reached an agreement on Tuesday that, if approved by the House and Senate, could restore some order to the nation's chaotic budget process and avoid another government shutdown on January 15. As the terms of the prospective budget plan became clearer, conservative groups warned that they would oppose it because it would blunt some of the automatic spending cuts known as "sequestration." (Read more)
- Lord God, there are so many problems with this "compromise" budget, and several concerns we have brought to You over time have not been addressed in this package. We ask that You would unleash the Hound of Heaven over those who will vote for this budget package, and give them no rest until they relent from passing this bill that would catapault our nation into a debt from which we will never recover. In Jesus' Name, amen.
- "So shall they fear The name of the Lord from the west, And His glory from the rising of the sun; When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him." (Isaiah 59:19)
3. Senate confirms first 'post-nuclear' nominee - The Hill
The Senate voted 56-38 Tuesday to confirm Patricia Millett to the D.C. Circuit Court, making her the first nominee of President Obama's to clear the Senate since Democrats unilaterally changed the rules in a vote last month. Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) voted with Democrats. The rule change means only 51 votes are needed to end a filibuster on nominations below the level of the Supreme Court. (Read more)
- Lord God, now that this "nuclear option" has been implemented by the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, all defenses are down and the hope of honest debate, dialogue and voting are now lost . . . perhaps forever. Holy God, only You can move on the hearts of men to do the right thing, and only You can move on the hearts of "all in authority" to do just that. In repentance, we plead for Your Hand of mercy to be upon us, and to rescue us and our freedoms from further damage in the U.S. Senate. We ask in Jesus' name, amen.
- ". . . With the merciful you will show yourself merciful . . ." (Psalm 18:25)
4. Regulators move to approve Volcker Rule for banks after three-year wait - Washington Examiner
Federal regulators moved Tuesday morning to approve a final draft of a long-awaited provision of the Dodd-Frank financial reform law that would limit banks from making speculative bets for their own profit and from running hedge funds. (Read more)
- Father, we thank You for moving to implement this long-awaited provision of the Dodd-Frank financial reform law. Establish this law with the banks and protect it from the hands of the enemy. Cover it with the Blood of Christ that it be a refreshing change. In Jesus' Name we pray.
- "In His days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is His name whereby He shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS." (Jer. 23: 6)
5. Israeli Defense Minister: Iran Has Terror Infrastructure in Central, South America - Washington Free Beacon
Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon said yesterday that Iran has built up a terror infrastructure in Central and South America from which to attack Jewish and Israeli targets in the region and as a base for attacking inside the United States. (Read more)
- Mighty God, we ask that You hold the Jewish people and Israel, safe in Your hands. Hold back Central and South America to to obey God and Him only, so that there be no attacks upon the Jewish people in those nations, nor in our own country. We ask this in Jesus holy Name, amen.
- "Why should you be as a man astonished, as a mighty man that cannot save? yet You, O Lord, are in the midst of us, and we are called by Your Name and belong to You; leave us not." (Jeremiah 14:9)
Good News out of India!!!
Good News out of India!!!
India's Supreme Court Upholds Law Against Homosexual Conduct
India's Supreme Court struck down a 2009 lower court decision to decriminalize homosexual conduct, dealing a blow Wednesday to gay activists who have fought for years for the chance to live openly in India's deeply conservative society. The judges said only lawmakers and not the courts could change a colonial-era law that bans homosexual acts and makes them punishable by up to a decade in prison.
The lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community across India reacted to the surprise decision with defiance. "We cannot be forced back into the closet. We are not backing off from our fight against discrimination," said Gautam Bhan, an activist who had petitioned the court.
After the ruling, dozens of activists outside the court began crying and hugging each other in consolation. (Associated Press) Read more.
GREAT NEWS OUT OF AUSTRALIA!
The Good News Corner:
HUGE TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE VICTORY IN AUSTRALIA!
"The [Federal] Marriage Act provides that a marriage can be solemnised in Australia only between a man and a woman. That Act is a comprehensive and exhaustive statement of the law of marriage."
(Canberra)-The High Court of Australia handed down a decision in the issue of gay marriage there, ruling that it violates the Federal Marriage Act (which defines marriage as between a man and a woman) and is therefore not legal.
According to a CBN News report, the ruling came after a federal challenge to last month's landmark law that allowed gay marriage within the Australian Capital Territory; striking it down.
The High Court stated that: "The [Federal] Marriage Act provides that a marriage can be solemnised in Australia only between a man and a woman. That Act is a comprehensive and exhaustive statement of the law of marriage."
> > > Dear Prayer Partners: Please know that our dear friends, Hilary and Paul Moroney, heads of the Canberra House of Prayer, have sent us a note specifically thanking all of our Prayer Partner network for the intercession you lifted up this past week over this critical case in Australia.
We take note, too, that it was our brothers and sisters in Australia who had called for a 24-hour period of "Purification and Humiliation" before our Lord, in time of deep, personal repentance and cleansing. It was this gay marriage issue that caused these saints to move in obedience to the call of God in their, and our lives.
Truly, we do serve a God who hears, and answers, our prayers. Amen and amen!
Worship With Us Today!
Worship With Us Today!
Angels (feat. Brian Johnson)
Calling all angels,
Calling the watchmen angels on the walls
To come and sing with us
Pray for the Harvest!
Pray for the Harvest!
"Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." (John 4:35)
Every day, in every nation on earth, tens of thousands of men and women are making decisions for Christ. Now, you can monitor this amazing fact online by literally "watching" as these souls are born again into the Kingdom.
Of course, the identities of those who are coming to the Lord are never revealed, but our God knows who they are! Join us as we monitor these "names" daily, praying over each one to be mentored and to grow in his or her faith . . . even in these perilous times. You may visit either or both of the sites below, to pray for fields that are ripe for harvest.
> > > OPTION ONE: AboutJesus.net
> > > OPTION TWO: The Great Commission Map!