* * * DOMESTIC NEWS * * *
January 27 - February 1, 2008
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord" (Psalm 33:12)
On Capitol Hill This Week; Vol. XV, No. 1a
1. SECOND SESSION OF THE 110TH CONGRESS IS NOW CONVENED
Offer a prayer for this session of Congress, now that both the House and the Senate have reconvened. Please refer to last week's Legislative Agenda, published by Capitol Hill Prayer Partners on Sunday, January 20th, for pending legislative business before this Congress. Join us as we agree with the prayer, below, offered by Intercessors for America, that this Congress would prosper in all it does, and that God would grace the President and the Congress with a spirit of working unity during this calendar year. Amen!
· Intercede for President Bush, all in his administration, and for all working in foreign policy - especially regarding Israel and the Middle East. Pray for working unity between President Bush and the 2nd Session of the 110th Congress. Intercede for your U.S. Senators and Representatives - that they come to know Christ or be deepened in their faith, and that they are granted a "spirit of wisdom and revelation." Pray for Senate Chaplain Barry Black and House Chaplain Daniel Coughlin. Ask God to bring forth His agenda, reforms, and legislation necessary for the peace, prosperity, and well-being of the nation.
· "Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power." (Eph. 1:15-19)
2. PRESIDENT BUSH TO DELIVER HIS FINAL STATE OF THE UNION ADDRESS TONIGHT
As President Bush prepares to deliver his final State of the Union address on Monday night, touting "great progress'' made during the past seven years, he will stress the urgency of the emergency tax relief that he is seeking as a "shot in the arm'' for the economy. "While economic growth has slowed in recent months, the foundation for long-term growth remains solid,'' Bush said in his weekly radio address today offering a preivew of his address to a joint session of Congress at 9 pm EST on Monday. He is asking Congress to enact the tax relief which leaders have approved, including tax rebates for Americans, "as soon as possible.'' Bush also will ask for action on an extension of the nation's intelligence surveillance laws, underscoring the continuing threat that terrorism poses and the urgency of acting. Concluding his radio address, President Bush stated: "When I go before Congress on Monday, I will speak more about how we can keep our economy strong and our people safe. I am confident that we can work together to meet our responsibilities in these areas -- and leave our children a stronger and more prosperous America. Thank you for listening.'' (Chicago Tribune)
· The president's three speechwriters (Bill McGurn, chief White House speechwriter. Mark Thiessen, and Chris Michel) have been working since December on this address, and are now "down to the wire." Pray for President Bush, his advisors, and his speechwriters today, as they seek to make any changes necessary so that the President's policies are clearly articulated to the American people.
· "The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him - the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD." (Isaiah 11:2)
3. GOVERNORS MEET: SAY IMMIGRATION IS STILL AN ISSUE
As you know, Congress has tried and failed in recent years to pass comprehensive immigration reform, so the states and localities have taken up the issue, but with varying degrees of success. While stricter laws have gone into effect in Arizona and Oklahoma, many smaller localities, like Hazelton, Pennsylvania and Farmers Branch, Texas, have seen their attempts to curb illegal immigration thwarted by the ACLU with the courts generally ruling that immigration enforcement is a matter of federal law only.
As a result, the nation's mayors, meeting in Washington, D.C. this week, are taking the opportunity to urge Congress to act on immigration reform. Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon told the Associated Press, "This country is in an economic, public safety and social crisis because immigration hasn't been addressed at the level that it needs to be addressed at. . . and that's at Congress.
But congressional leaders are pushing back, telling Gordon and others that there is zero chance immigration reform will be taken up again for at least another year or two. The expectation is that a new administration under "President Hillary" and a new Congress with expanded Democrat majorities will be able to ram through an even worse amnesty plan! (Gary Bauer)
· Newt Gingrich recently stated that Congress is still living in the 20th century and not dealing with contemporary problems. Americans want immigration dealt with specifically, not given meaningless rhetoric. Pray that American mayors will impact the thinking of Congress, so that creative solutions to this problem can be established and activated now! Immigration is about the safety of our country, not about votes.
· ". . . for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves." (Isaiah 28:15b)
4. SENATOR SESSIONS OFFERS 15-POINT PLAN ON IMMIGRATION
Voters who do care about ending illegal immigration, however, can take heart in the efforts of Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions, a conservative stalwart, who is determined not to let the issue be ignored. Speaking to the Heritage Foundation on Thursday, Sessions said, "the people's judgment and desires have been right from the beginning. They want a lawful and fair system that serves the national interest. They have now made their voices heard. Indeed, our entire phone system was shut down during the debate. The political class I think has now finally gotten the message and we now have a rare opportunity to end the illegality and to establish a new policy founded on our heritage of law and fairness."
During his speech, Senator Sessions outlined a 15- point plan to deal with illegal immigration, and he challenged the presidential candidates to sign a pledge supporting this plan. If enacted, these proposals would take dramatic steps toward solving the problem, and Sen. Sessions rightly noted, "Considering the high priority the American people put on this issue, this is not a heavy lift for Congress or any president. The key ingredient is a firm will and common sense."
We will help Senator Sessions in his efforts to get every candidate to sign on!
· Pray that Sen. Sessions' plan is articulated throughout the media so that Americans can see the details. Pray that his wisdom prevails in Congress, not because it is politically expedient but because it is right. The American people need to start seeing substance from our politicians. If necessary, call the Heritage Foundation for a reprint of Sen. Sessions' ideas. Pray for protection for this man.
· "Thou art my hiding place; Thou shalt preserve me from trouble; Thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance." (Psalm 32:7)
5. CONGRESSMEN SEEK ANSWERS ABOUT TERROR EXPERT'S FIRING
Members of Congress are seeking more information regarding the firing of a top terrorism expert at the Pentagon following reports that he was dismissed for being too critical of Islamic law. Earlier this month, the Pentagon Joint Staff told Stephen Coughlin, a specialist on Islamic law at the Pentagon, that his contract would not be renewed in March. Jerome Gordon, a former Army intelligence officer who knows Coughlin, said many rank-and-file Defense Department officials are supportive of Coughlin. The firing apparently resulted from pressure by pro-Muslim officials working in the Department of Defense, according to numerous news reports.
Meanwhile, members of Congress have had little success in getting answers from the Pentagon, said Rep. Sue Myrick (R-N.C.), co-chair of the bi-partisan House Anti-Terrorism Caucus. "We are contacting everyone to see who we can talk to. "Incomplete reports and near silence from the Pentagon creates the need to get at the truth," Myrick said. This week, Myrick said she began contacting other co-chairs of the Anti- Terrorism Caucus, such as Rep. Jane Harmon (D- Calif.), Rep. Richard "Bud" Cramer (D-Ala.), and Rep. Kay Granger (R-Texas) about setting up a meeting with Coughlin and Pentagon officials to find out the circumstances behind the firing. Myrick stressed that any congressional inquiry is in the early, talking stages, but she has contacted the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, the House Armed Services Committee, and the House Homeland Security Committee to inquire about investigative hearings into the case. Myrick said the Pentagon is requiring any congressional requests to go through the Defense Department's Legislative Affairs Office before Coughlin would be available to speak to anyone.
Coughlin - who supporters say had one of the most important jobs in analyzing how Jihadists think -- crossed Hasham Islam, an aide to Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England, according The Washington Times. The paper reported, without attribution, that the aide told Coughlin to "soften his view" on radical Islam. When Coughlin refused, Hasham Islam called him a Christian zealot "with a pen," according to the report. Coughlin, an attorney, a former Army intelligence officer and a major in the Army Reserves, could not be reached for comment for this story. Those who know him say he will not talk to the media until his employment with the Defense Department is over.
Coughlin's 333-page thesis, " To Our Great Detriment: Ignoring What Extremists Say About Jihad," was accepted last year by the National Defense Intelligence College. The report describes an Islamic culture that teaches violence from an early age. The sentiments of Coughlin's research apparently were too much for some inside the Pentagon, said Andrew Bostom, an author and lecturer on Islam, who has known Coughlin for more than three years. "His law-based presentation, fact- based presentation demonstrates that the so-called extremists are firmly rooted in Islamic law," said Bostom. "You can't just ascribe al Qaeda as a phenomenon that comes out of a vacuum. Invoking sociological and anthropological ideas and ignoring Islamic law will not get us far." (CNSNews.com)
· Surely this expert on jihadism needs to be heard. If, indeed, he was fired for offending Moslems in the Pentagon, someone in the Pentagon must be fired but not Mr. Coughlin! Moslems do not owe their allegiance to a country but to their religion of Islam. Pray that Congresswoman Myrick is able to assemble her hearing and that full disclosure will be forthcoming very quickly.
· "Bow down Thine ear to me; deliver me speedily; be Thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me." (Psalm 31:2)
6. A POLITICALLY CORRECT, MORALLY CONFUSED NATION
Saving Dogs and Killing Babies
The latest statistics from the Center for Disease Control indicate that there were 839,226 legal abortions performed in 49 states during the latest reporting year of 2004. That means that some 2,299 pre-born babies were killed per day during the latest reporting period. Since abortion was legalized in 1973, there are conservative estimates that over 40 million pre-born American citizens have been legally killed in the United States. That is more deaths than the United States experienced in all the wars since the Revolutionary War. In fact, there were more abortions in 1996, 1.37 million, than the 1.19 million soldiers America lost during all those wars, according to the Department of Defense.
While the maiming and killing of pre-born American citizens is perfectly legal and routinely practiced in the United States, dog fighting is a federal offense. The Humane Society of the United States estimates that some 250,000 dogs are involved in dog fighting. There are no statistics on the deaths of dogs due to dog fighting. But if there are 250,000 dogs in dog fighting, there is no way that dog fighting deaths comes remotely close to the number of humans who are legally killed by doctors every day. Yet, no president, no Congress, no court has the intestinal fortitude to end legal infanticide, but they rush to write, sign and enforce laws against dog fighting.
If Americans were so incensed about abortion as they are about dog fighting, perhaps abortion would become a federal crime and be banned in all 50 states. Jesus said in Matthew 18:6 of children, "But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea." I wonder if this applies to an entire nation that condones killing babies but protects dogs. (Bill Wilson; The Daily Jot; Dec. 19, 2007)
· "Oh that My people would listen to Me; that Israel would walk in My ways! I would quickly subdue their enemies and turn My hand against their adversaries!" (Psalm 81:13,14)
7. WHERE DO CANDIDATES STAND ON ISSUES THAT COUNT?
Which candidate is most radical on the issues? Who opposes the federal marriage amendment? Who wants to get rid of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy? Who supports hate-crimes legislation? Who is pro-abortion? Tom Minnery, senior vice president of government and public policy at Focus on the Family Action, and Tony Perkins, president of FRC Action, provide the answers in CitizenLink's video voter guide, taken from live webcasts produced by Focus Action.
The video voter guide highlights seven presidential hopefuls: Sens. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y.; Barack Obama, D-Ill.; and John McCain, R-Ariz.; former Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C.; former Mayor Rudy Giuliani, R-N.Y.; and former Govs. Mike Huckabee, R-Ark.; and Mitt Romney, R- Mass.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Check out CitizenLink's video voter guide.
Download FRC Action's presidential voter guide. (CitizenLink)
· Pray for the voters in your own state to be granted wisdom from above and great discernment as they consider these candidates. If there is a primary election in your state, pray over this, as well.
· "The effectual, fervent prayers of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
8. BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA: A MAN TO WATCH
Now that Barack Obama has won significant victories in both Iowa and South Carolina, perhaps it is wise to learn a bit more about this candidate, and to do our own research about his faith and family ties.
As for his faith, while on the campaign trail Obama has often named his home church : Trinity United Christian Church in Chicago, Illinois. To learn more about the teachings and articles of belief at this church, please refer to their website.
Of some interest, too, might be his family ties back in Kenya -- a nation now ravaged by their own post- election violence. Obama's family is of the Luo tribe, which is the tribe of the opposition party in Kenya. To learn more about his family in Kenya, we recommend this article from ABC News: "Obama Family in Kenya Watches US Vote." Other articles site his Kenyan family as practicing Muslims.
· Remain in prayer for the voters in our nation throughout this critical election year. Pray that we all be given "eyes to see" and "hearts to understand" the truth about each candidate. Pray, too, over our media, so that facts -- not rumors -- be reported to the American people about each presidential candidate from both political parties.
· ". . . for we have made lies our refuge, and under falsehood have we hid ourselves." (Isaiah 28:15b)
9. PRIMARIES SCHEDULED FOR FEBRUARY
Primary elections will be held on the following dates and in the listed states:
· 2/5/08 - Alabama, Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana (R), New Jersey, New Mexico (D), New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Utah
· 2/9/08 - Guam (R), Kansas, Louisiana, Nebraska (D), Virgin Islands (D), Washington (D)
· 2/10/08 - Maine
· 2/12/08 - District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia,
· 2/19/08 - Hawaii, Washington (R), Wisconsin
· 2/23 - American Samoa, Virgin Islands (R)
· 2/24/08 - Puerto Rico (R)
· For a complete guide to the Republican primaries, go here:
For a complete guide to the Democratic primaries, go here:
· Earnestly intercede against media and special interest manipulation during this primary season. Pray that moral, God-fearing, pro-life, pro-marriage, and pro-family men and women be selected, supported, and find favor in local, state, and national campaigns. Intercede that the Lord reveal His choices, expose corruption, immorality, bribery, the occult, and hidden anti-biblical agendas. (Source: Intercessors for America)
· " . . . if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19)
Volume XV, Number 1b
* * * * INTERNATIONAL NEWS * * * *
January 27 - February 1, 2008
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." (Psalm 33:12)
1. PENTAGON TIGHTENS CONTROLS ON CHINESE MILITARY VISITS TO U.S. MILITARY SITES
The Pentagon is tightening controls on contacts and visits with Chinese military officials to prevent the loss of secrets and war-fighting data, according to a memorandum to Assistant Defense Secretary James J. Shinn, the Asian and Pacific security affairs policy- maker. A Defense Contact Memorandum was written by Air Force Col. Dave Silvia, an official within the office of the deputy undersecretary of the Air Force for international affairs, and is a form letter to be used by all involved in U.S.-China military exchanges. It states that all proposed visits to China by U.S. military or civilians, or Chinese military or civilian visits to the United States or a U.S. military facility, should explain the benefits to the Defense Department. (Washington Times)
· Lord, we thank you for bringing our Defense Department to their senses in this matter! Now Lord, we ask that You make our government cautious in ALL matters that deal with the defense of our nation, and the security of our intelligence.
· A righteous man is cautious in friendship. . . (Proverbs 12:26a)
2. RUSSIA: TOP BRASS DEFENDS RIGHT TO PREEMPTIVE STRIKE
Russia underlined its right to a "preventive" nuclear strike this week in what military analysts interpreted as a move to introduce more clarity into the nation's defense doctrine. The statements, made by Chief of General Staff Yuri Baluyevsky on Saturday, were followed by naval exercises in the northern Atlantic that will feature over 40 aircraft of the Air Force. Though unrelated, the developments pointed to a Russia not so much on the offensive as a one that was eager to bring its defense doctrine in line with that of the Western world and make it more up to date with contemporary military demands.
"We are not planning to attack anyone. But our partners should clearly understand that the armed forces will be used if necessary to protect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Russian Federation and its allies, including on a preventative basis, including with the use of nuclear weapons," RIA Novosti quoted Baluyevsky as saying Saturday at a scientific conference in Moscow. He underlined, however, that "military force can and must be used to demonstrate the decisiveness of the top leadership of the country" only as "a last resort" and when all other methods have failed.
"This is the clarification of the nuclear doctrine," Sergei Karaganov, a defense expert and the dean of the International Politics Department at the Higher School of Economics, told The Moscow News. "What [Baluyev sky] means is the enhanced deterrence doctrine, which was created in the United States" and used by NATO for decades. (Moscow News)
· Father, what we ask is that the intentions of the leadership of Russia be plain to see. They say they are being honest, and do not desire to attack anyone. Lord, we hold this matter up for YOU to weigh, and shine your light of Truth on every part of it.
· "If I have walked in falsehood or my foot has hurried after deceit- let God weigh me in honest scales. . .(Job 31:5&6a)
3. NORTH KOREA TELLS USA TO REMEMBER THE 1968 USS PUEBLO CRISIS
North Korea marked the anniversary on Wednesday of one of its rare Cold War victories over the United States by saying a U.S. spy ship it seized 40 years ago served as a lesson to show it can repel an invasion. It is the paranoid state's latest dig at its long-time foe and which it still labels as an arch enemy despite Washington's pledge to provide aid and better diplomatic standing to Pyongyang in a disarmament deal. (Reuters)
· Maybe North Korea should also remember the Korean War, from which the USA pulled back because we did not want our conflict to spread into Communist China. But what else can be expected from a nation whose god is the state? Pray for the people of North Korea so that they can be released from the oppressive regime that governs them. Pray for strategies that will shut down this regime once and for all.
· "Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth." (Proverbs 27:1)
4. BORDER CROSSING FIASCO SPARKED BY ISRAEL-EGYPT TENSIONS
International News Agency Stratfors suggests Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak allowed tens of thousands of Gazans to crash the Rafah crossing border on January 22 to send a signal to Israel suggesting their diplomatic relationship with Egypt is in jeopardy. An estimated crowd in the hundreds of thousands demolished a metal wall at the Rafah Crossing and surged into the Sinai Peninsula. Hamas gunmen detonated 17 bombs to explode the wall. The people came in search of food, fuel, cigarettes and basic supplies now scarce in Gaza City.
Mubarak announced that his troops allowed the Palestinians through "because they were starving." He said they should be permitted to buy food before returning home-an indication from Mubarak that he has no desire to invite his guests to stay in Egypt. The administration in Egypt is baulking at plans to remove Israel from the Gaza City equation. Israel withdrew from Gaza in 2005 and now plans to relate more directly to the Fatah-controlled West Bank [Judea and Samaria]. Egypt has no ambition to embrace the Hamas-controlled Gaza region on its own.
Speculation suggests that the incident this week may have been coordinated, at least at some level by Egypt and Hamas. The plan was to pressure Israel into allowing the Hamas-controlled area more freedom and opportunity to reestablish a normal life. Such a move by the Israelis would open the way for more missiles and rockets to come from the region into locations like Sderot, under consistent attack by terrorists.
Israel is trying to draw attention to the incompetence of Hamas and the lack of interest by the terrorists to make decisions which provide for the well-being of the people they have opted to rule. Hamas finds itself isolated from all but their staunchest supporters. During the week Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh made an invitation to Fatah Chairman Mahmoud Abbas [Abu Mazen] to unite in order to reopen the border crossing "on the basis of national participation." Abbas would agree to such an arrangement if Hamas restores his Palestinian Authority government the control of Gaza. On that proposal Stratfors analysts say, "Hamas still does not recognize Abbas' dismissal of its government in Gaza, making any negotiated settlement between the two parties unlikely in the near future." (Bridges for Peace)
· Pray that the chaos in Gaza specifically, will be brought into order. Pray that Hamas will be held responsible for the incitement they create which destabilizes and impoverishes the people. Someplace there has to be a conscience in these terrorists.
· "Then Hezekiah turned his face toward the wall, and prayed to the LORD." (Isaiah 38:2)
5. IDF ON HIGH ALERT IN SINAI
SOUTHERN ISRAEL CLOSED TO CIVILIAN TRAFFIC, US AND ISRAELI BASES ON HIGH ALERT
Most highways of the southern Negev - which adjoins the Egyptian Sinai frontier - were ordered shut to civilian traffic early Jan. 26, until further notice. This is Israel's most extensive terror alert ever, DEBKAfile's military sources report. The big Israeli and American air and military bases in the region are on high terror alert and officers' families are being removed to central Israel, following intelligence warnings that Hamas, Jihad Islami and al Qaeda are preparing to launch suicide operations across the porous Egyptian border from N. Sinai.
Israeli military forces have spread out across the southern region, checkpoints set up on the highways, lookout positions posted, and helicopters and drones are on constant surveillance. DEBKAfile's sources in the south report that Eilat, Israel's southernmost town and Red Sea port, is not entirely cut off; the eastern Highway 90 is open to traffic although Highway 10 which follows the Egyptian Sinai frontier is closed.
So too are 221 and 222 and parts of Routes 40 and 12. Israeli units have been deployed to block off to terrorist access the southern towns of Eilat, Mitzpeh Ramon, Kfar Yeruham, Beersheba, Arad and the villages and military installations located in the Negev and Aravah regions. Popular tourist nature reserves and beauty spots are closed.
The latest intelligence input speaks of an ingathering in Sinai of al Qaeda cells from Egypt and other parts of the Middle East. They are heading for the Egyptian- Israel frontier, which Egyptian border forces have abandoned to focus on the anarchy on the Gaza- Egyptian border Hamas generated by knocking down the border wall. One-third of Gaza's 1.5 million Palestinian inhabitants has flooded into N. Sinai in a disorderly exodus.
DEBKAfile's counter-terror sources disclose another ominous symptom: Al Qaeda has appointed an "emir" for the Gaza Strip, the customary military commander assigned when the jihadist group goes into operational mode. (DEBKAFILE)
· Pray for the safety of all areas of Israel, her citizens, and her military personnel. Having to close some of her tourist spots does hurt Israel's economy. Rebuke the strife and chaos that wants to dominate at the border with Egypt, and speak calm and peace into the area. Pray for the Palestinians so that they can understand that order and law bring more benefits than rebellion.
· "Let God arise, let His enemies be scattered: let them that hate Him flee before Him." (Psalm 68:1)
6. IRAN SAYS IT CAN WIPE OUT HALF OF ISRAEL -- WITH SYRIA'S HELP
Following reports on Israel's January 17, 2008 test of the Jericho III missile, which has a range of 4,500 km, the Iranian website Tabnak, which is affiliated with Iranian Expediency Council secretary and former Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) commander Mohsen Rezai, wrote that the missile's addition to Israel's arsenal does not change the balance of power between Israel and Iran.
The website stated that in the event of a conflict with Israel, Iran would use its strategic alliance with Syria to fire missiles at Israel from Syrian territory.  It also hinted that, in addition to assistance from Syria, any attack by Israel would also bring retaliation by Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and Hizbullah.
Further, in an interview on Al-Jazeera TV, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad dismissed the Israeli missile test, saying that "even before this missile test, the Zionist regime enjoyed this military technology, because of its support from several powers. But such measures will not improve its situation, and will not prevent its fall. The Zionist regime has lost the rationale on which its existence was based,and all nations identify it as criminal. Therefore, it will not achieve legitimacy for its existence through threats and sowing fear." Read more.
· Lord, we continue to grow in our love for Israel. Remember Your convenant with her. We pray Your wisdom and protection over her. Before all nations, establish Israel in Your strength. Give her victory over all enemies. We bless Israel in Your Holy name.
· I hvae made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant, Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah And the heavens shall praise thy wonders, O Lord: thy faithfulness also in the ocngregation fo the saints. (Ps. 89:3-5)
7. OLMERT'S FUTURE RIDES ON REPORT
The final report this week of an inquiry into the handling of the 2006 war in Lebanon could determine the fate of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's government just as it settles into peace talks with the Palestinians. Mr. Olmert was nearly forced to resign after the preliminary report of the Winograd Commission described his authorization of the war as a "serious failure."
The prime minister could face a similar shock wave depending on the final report's assessment of his decision to conclude the war with a 60-hour offensive that cost the lives of 33 soldiers just as diplomats at the United Nations were nearing a cease-fire deal.
Resignation calls already are on the rise ahead of Wednesday's publication date. In an effort to pre-empt the pressure, Mr. Olmert said he won't resign - no matter what the conclusions. (Washington Times)
· Lift up this very important report and the consequences that will follow before our Lord in prayer, even as we continue to pray for the peace of Jerusalem. If a transition in leadership is in Israel's future, intercede that all be done in the will and the timing of the Lord.
· "They have set up kings, but not by Me: they have made princes, and I knew it not: of their silver and their gold have they made them idols, that they may be cut off." (Hosea 8:4)
8. KENYA ELECTION ETHNIC VIOLENCE INCREASES AFTER KIBAKI ODINGA TALKS
More than half an entire town has been consumed by fire in Kenya's Rift Valley in the latest bout of ethnic violence since December's disputed election. The Kenya Red Cross Society has said three people have died and at least 50 people have been wounded by clubs and machetes in the settlment of Total Station. Another 3,000 have been made homeless in the fighting that has pitted people from President Mwai Kibaki's Kikuyu ethnic group against Kalenjin. (Sky News - UK) Read more:
· Daily we are receiving horrific reports of the violence that is still raging in parts of Kenya, and of the Christians who are in danger there. Pray Psalm 91 for the saints, and cry out for Kenya.
· When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the LORD shall lift up a standard against him. (Isaiah 59:19)
9. "MEMO OF UNDERSTANDING" WOULD PLACE KENYA UNDER SHAR'IA (ISLAMIC) LAW
The Evangelical Alliance of Kenya has posted on its website a photograph copy of a Memorandum of Understanding, dated and signed on August 29, 2007, between Raila Odinga and Shiekh Abdullah Abdi, chairman of the National Muslim Leaders Forum of Kenya.
Here is a summary of the agreement which was signed:
-- It pledges the support of Kenyan Moslems for Raila's election. In return, as President of Kenya, Raila agrees to 14 actions, listed a) through n) on page two.
-- Within 6 months re-write the Constitution of Kenya to recognize Shariah as the only true law sanctioned by the Holy Quran for Muslim declared regions.
-- Within one year facilitate the establishment of a Shariah court in every Kenyan divisional headquarters. [Note: everywhere in Kenya, not just in "Muslim declared regions."]
-- Popularize Islam, the only true religion . . .by ordering every primary school in Kenya in the regions to conduct daily Madrassa classes.
-- Impose a total ban on open-air gospel crusades by worshippers of the cross.
-- Outlaw gospel programs . . . on KBC, the National Broadcaster.
--Impose a total ban on the public consumption of alcoholic beverages.
-- Impose an immediate ban on women's public dressing styles that are considered immoral and offensive to the Muslim faith.
· As we pray for the nation of Kenya to be restored to order, come into agreement that all covenants that are not in the will of the God of Abraham, Isaac (not Ishmael) and Jacob be annulled through the Blood of the Lamb. Ask the Lord to forgive the leaders for their "deal-making" when they signed onto this contract, for they knew not what they did. Lift up the leaders of Kenya now in place, that they might obey the Constitution, as written, and honor righteous governing principles in their nation and for their people.
· "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."(Luke 23:34)
". . . my people are destroyed from lack of knowledge." (Hosea 4:6)
"Devise your strategy, but it will be thwarted; propose your plan, but it will not stand, for God is with us." (Isaiah 8:10)
10. 7-YEAR PLAM ALIGNS U.S. WITH EUROPE'S ECONOMY
The World Net Daily News Service in their report titled "7-year plan aligns U.S. with Europe's economy", states:"Six U.S. senators and 49 House members are advisers for a group working toward a Transatlantic Common Market between the U.S. and the European Union by 2015.
The Transatlantic Policy Network - a non- governmental organization headquartered in Washington and Brussels - is advised by the bi- partisan congressional TPN policy group, chaired by Sen. Robert Bennett( R-Utah). The plan - currently being implemented by the Bush administration with the formation of the Transatlantic Economic Council in April 2007 - appears to be following a plan written in 1939 by a world-government advocate who sought to create a Transatlantic Union as an international governing body. An economist from the World Bank has argued in print that the formation of the Transatlantic Common Market is designed to follow the blueprint of Jean Monnet, a key intellectual architect of the European Union, recognizing that economic integration must inevitably lead to political integration.
As WND previously reported, a key step in advancing this goal was the creation of the Transatlantic Economic Council by the U.S. and the EU through an agreement signed by President Bush, German Chancellor Angela Merkel - the current president of the European Council - and European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso at a White House summit meeting last April." (WorldNetDaily)
· The globalists never quit - always devising some new plan to integrate the USA with the EU. Unfortunately, the American people are primarily asleep at the wheel, unaware of the loss of our nation's sovereignty. Pray that Americans will awaken to the dangers! Pray that our youth will recognize the significance of our Constitution. Of course, without God leading our nation, the American concept is dead. Pray!
· "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord." (Psalm 33:12a)
11. PRESIDENT BUSH EXECUTIVE ORDER COMBATS "EARMARKS" IN SPENDING BILLS
The White House today said Mr. Bush will issue an executive order tomorrow instructing federal agencies to ignore earmarks, commonly known as pork, added to reports that accompany spending bills. About 95 percent of earmarks are inserted into the reports to bypass public debate and consensus in the legislative process. (The Washington Times)
· "Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord!" (Psalm 150:6)
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . . Oh, YAH, may my praise be glorious to You! I sing praises to Your name, YAH, for You reign in the heavens; yet -- You love me. Hallelujah!! Glory to His holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice. (Psalm 105:3) (Taken from: Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God, by Barri Cae Malin and Shmuel Wolkenfeld; Bridge-Logos Publishers; Gainesville, FL, 32614. ISBN: 0-88270-801-5)
"Sing to God, sing praises to His name; Extol Him who rides on the clouds, By His name YAH, And rejoice before Him." (Psalm 68:4)
This Week, Worship Our Lord As . . .
Oh, YAH, may my praise be glorious to You! I sing praises to Your name, YAH, for You reign in the heavens; yet -- You love me. Hallelujah!!
Glory to His holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice. (Psalm 105:3)
(Taken from: Intimate Moments with the Hebrew Names of God, by Barri Cae Malin and Shmuel Wolkenfeld; Bridge-Logos Publishers; Gainesville, FL, 32614. ISBN: 0-88270-801-5)