1. President Predicts Completion of Mideast Peace Treaty
A) President Bush on Thursday predicted that a Mideast peace treaty would be completed by the time he leaves office, but undercut that optimism with harsh criticism of Hamas militants who control part of the land that would form an eventual independent Palestine. (Newsmax.com)
B) President Bush, summing up meetings with both sides in the Israeli-Palestinian dispute, said Thursday, that a peace accord will require "painful political concessions" by each. Resolving the status of Jerusalem will be hard, he said, and he called for the end of the "occupation" of Arab land by the Israeli military. (MSNBC)
· Father we repent on behalf of our leadership for not understanding Your plan for the land of Israel. Yes, You, YHWH, love the Arab people and desire that they come to know You. But we pray that Your hand of protection would reign Supreme over Israel in spite of the plans of men.
· "Then they shall dwell in the land that I have given to Jacob My servant, where your fathers dwelt; and they shall dwell there, they their children, and their children's children, forever." (Ezekiel 37:25)
2. U.S. Warplanes Flatten Safe-havens in Iraq - AP
U.S. bombers and jet fighters unleashed 40,000 pounds of explosives during a 10-minute airstrike Thursday, flattening what the military called al-Qaida in Iraq safe havens on the southern outskirts of the capital.
· Father we pray these airstrikes by the US inside Iraq would be effective against our enemies. We pray that all hidden locations and secret plans of al-Qaida operations be revealed.
· "He reveals deep and secret things; He knows what is in darkness, and light dwells with Him." (Daniel 2:22)
3. Mexican Soldiers Found Invading United States - WorldNet Daily
A federal document obtained and released by Judicial Watch reveals that there were dozens of armed incursions by Mexican soldiers and police into the United States during Fiscal Year 2007.
· Thank you, Lord for the revelation of these things. We ask that Your wisdom come to our leadership, that politics and game-playing would cease. We pray that You would station Your heavenly host on our borders and fight for us there.
· "You shall trample the wicked, for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet.." (Malachi 4:3)
4. Concerns Grow About Chrysler as Auto Show Begins- MSNBC
When New York private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management agreed last May to buy a controlling interest in DaimlerChrylser's struggling Chrysler Group for $7.4 billion there was a whiff of optimism about the deal. But just six months later the whiff of optimism has turned to a hint of crisis. A recent article in The Wall Street Journal said Chrysler is in a serious financial crunch, although the automaker has denied the report.
· Lord, as companies and major employers across America struggle in our failing economy, we pray for wisdom and mercy over the people who are affected.
· "Let Your work appear to Your servants, and Your glory to their children." (Psalm 90:16)
5. Were Bird Flu Fears Overblown? H5N1 virus extremely stable says animal health chief- MSNBC
Fears of a flu pandemic originating from the deadly H5N1 bird flu virus were overblown, the head of the World Organization for Animal Health said Thursday.
· Thank you, Lord for a saner approach, and the stopping of panic fueled by the media. We continue to thank You for Your covenant of blood as protection against any pandemic.
· "You shall not be afraid of the terror by night. . .nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness. . ." (Psalm 91:5,6)
6. Presidential Campaign news:
A)Barack Obama is being endorsed by 2004 Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry, FOX News has confirmed.
B) New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson plans to drop his bid for the presidency, FOX News has confirmed, after back-to-back fourth-place finishes in the Iowa caucuses and New Hampshire primary.
· Lord we thank you for shaking out the field of candidates, and ask that You continue to complete Your plans for our nation. We ask for Your mercy as we work through the process of choosing candidates, and Your mercy over America as we vote. We humbly ask Your intervention against the wrong person being chosen as President, and pray that Your Holy Spirit will move across our nation prior to the election in November. Bring truth, Lord, bring Your righteousness, bring Your grace.
· "But I am poor and needy; yet the Lord thinks upon me. You are my help and my deliverer; do not delay, O my God." (Psalm 40:17)
The Middle East in Focus
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto You. When my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the Rock that is higher than I." (Psalm 32:8)
1. Netanyahu to Bush: Jerusalem to stay under Israeli control for eternity - Ha'aretz
Opposition leader MK Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday morning told visiting U.S. President George W. Bush that "Jerusalem belongs to the Jewish people and will remain under Israeli sovereignty for eternity."
2. Netanyahu to push president on Iran - Jerusalem Post
Opposition Likud leader Binyamin Netanyahu intends to press US President George W. Bush to take whatever steps are necessary to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons and to refrain from pressuring Israel to divide Jerusalem, when the two men meet Thursday morning at the capital's King David Hotel.
3. Bush arrives in West Bank to red carpet welcome - Ynet News
US President George W. Bush arrived at Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas' headquarters in Ramallah on Thursday for his first-ever visit to the Palestinian territories.
4. Olmert tells Bush construction in Jerusalem to continue - Ynet News
Israel will not accept the American demand to stop building in east Jerusalem's Jewish neighborhoods and in the settlement blocs, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told US President George W. Bush on Wednesday.
Prayers for the Persecuted Church
This week, for all the headlines cited below, please join us in proclaiming THIS DECREE:
"Remember the prisoners as if chained with them - those who are mistreated - since you yourselves are in the body also." (Hebrews 13:3)
1. IRAQ: More bomb attacks on Iraqi churches; severe material damage caused - CNA (Catholic News Agency)
Continuing a trend of attacks on Christian buildings, two car bombs exploded outside churches on Wednesday in the northern Iraq city of Kirkuk. The attacks, which took place within two minutes of each other, damaged buildings, cars and surrounding houses but caused no injuries. Brigadier General Burhan Habib Tayib, head of city police in Kirkuk, said that the first car bomb exploded outside the Chaldean Christian Cathedral of Kirkuk in the city center around 4:40 pm local time. The second attack took place outside the Assyrian Christian Maar Afram church less than a mile away.
(For the full story, go here.)
2. SUDAN: Fresh North-South Fighting Tampers Hopes for Building of Trust - allAfrica.com
Two months after the Cabinet boycott by the South, damage is continuing on the North-South Sudan border with no sign of a let-up. As recent as last Friday, Southern Sudanese troops said militias supported by northern soldiers mounted an attack on them, threatening a fragile peace deal.
(For the full story, go here.)
3. ISRAEL: The Tragedy of Palestinian Christians - ICC; Hope for Today
(This article explains about the plight of Palestinian Christians and the reasons behind the exodus of Christians from Palestine.)
[To view the full article, go here.]
4. UN Enters the War on Terror -- On Whose Side? -The Conservative Voice
After years of speaking out of both sides of its mouth on the issue of terrorism, the United Nations has finally staked out a clear position: Any negative portrayal of Islam will not be tolerated.
The General Assembly has just passed a resolution entitled "Combating Defamation of Religions" which deals exclusively with perceived slights committed against the Islamic faith.
this United Nations resolution must be seen and declared for what it is: One more futile attempt to stop the onset of progress in the places that need it most. The OIC does not speak for all Muslims, and it does not speak for the citizens of its member states. Let's not give them the attention they so desperately demand.
(To view the full article, go here.)
Please note that all of the articles cited above are listed on the website for International Christian Concern, found at: www.persecution.org. To see the link listing these and other news items, go here.
THE PRESIDENT'S MIDDLE EAST ITINERARY
January 11 - On Friday, the President will meet with Quartet representative Tony Blair to get an update on efforts to help build the institutions of a Palestinian state and enhance the Palestinian capacity to self-govern.
The President will also lay a wreath at the Holocaust memorial Yad Vashem before traveling to Kuwait, where he will meet with Amir Sabah.
January 12 - On Saturday, President Bush will visit with U.S. troops at Camp Arifjan (Kuwait). He will meet with Ambassador Crocker and General Petraeus to get an update on the current situation in Iraq. Also, the President will have a roundtable on democracy and development with Kuwaiti women. The President will then travel to Bahrain, where he will meet with King Hamad.
January 13 - On Sunday, President Bush will visit the U.S. Navy Fifth Fleet before traveling to the United Arab Emirates, where he will meet with President Khalifa. Following this meeting, President Bush will deliver a speech in Abu Dhabi. In that speech, he will talk about the progress we have seen in the Gulf, the progress of the freedom agenda in the region, emerging economic progress, and how regional security is important for both continued economic growth and for the spread of freedom.
January 14 - On Monday, President Bush will travel to Dubai, where he will be greeted by the ruler of Dubai. President Bush will then travel to Saudi Arabia, where he will meet with King Abdullah.
January 15 - On Tuesday, President Bush will be in Riyadh for meetings.
January 16 - On Wednesday, President Bush will travel to Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt, where he will meet with President Mubarak. The President will depart Sharm el-Sheikh on Wednesday January 16 in the afternoon en route to Andrews Air Force Base.
(White House Press Briefing 1/3/08)
Pray for the safety and protection of President Bush, his aides, members of the Secret Service teams attending the Middle East meetings.
Ask the Lord to send GOSPEL MESSENGERS into their midst - that they may give a loving demonstration, and a compassionate witness of Jesus of Nazareth.
Jerusalem police chief Aharon Franco was quoted as saying that the three-day visit, which will start next Wednesday, will see a total of 10,450 police officers on the streets of Jerusalem to safeguard President Bush and his entourage.
[This article was reported by Intercessors for America.]
We also note that White House reporter Bill Koenig has been asked to accompany President Bush on this trip. Mr. Koenig is the author of the book, Eye to Eye - Facing the Consequences of Dividing Israel, and knows well the dangers of dividing the land of Israel and/or Jerusalem. Please pray along with us that Mr. Koenig's message, based on the Word of God, would be heard during this trip.
Shirley Dobson Calls for Prayer Focused on Election Day
SUMMARY: ' I believe this year will determine the future of our nation.'
Mrs. Shirley Dobson, chairman of the National Day of Prayer Task Force (NDP), recently launched the Pray for Election Day campaign. She is asking people to pray, fast and vote in order to protect the values most important to our nation: faith, family and freedom.
"I believe if our people across this nation will get on their knees and repent, not only of their own sin but the sins of the nation, and cry out to God for His mercy on this upcoming election, that He will hear our prayers and answer them," Mrs. Dobson said on a recent Focus on the Family radio broadcast.
Dr. James Dobson, founder and chairman of Focus, recommends praying specifically for the makeup of the Supreme Court; the sanctity of human life; the definition of marriage - the meaning of the family; the nature of religious liberty, which is under unrelenting assault; and the threat from Islamic terrorism.
"We feel like there is never a more important time to pray for our nation's leaders," NDP Vice Chairman Brian Toon said. "With the current threat to religious liberties and critical concerns in high debate, we feel that people need to get on their knees and pray. We're asking Americans to both pray and vote."
As a reminder to be in prayer for the elections, NDP is asking people to place red dots in visible spots - your watch, cell phone, bathroom mirror. The red dots can be purchased at most office- supply stores.
Mrs. Dobson urges people to spread the prayer campaign to their friends, churches and communities.
"We need God to be involved in this upcoming election," she said. "We want him to raise up righteous leaders, both in the Congress and the president. I believe this year will determine the future of our nation."
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Visit the National Day of Prayer Web site.
(Source: Focus on the Family; Citizen Link) Pray for President Bush Prayer Surge Now invites you to: Weekly Conference Call Prayer Meeting for Saturday Morning, January 12, 2008 Agenda Conference Call Number & Access Code: If you cannot get through, please use:
JOINT PRAYER MEETINGS ACROSS AMERICA
President Bush, United States Military,
Israel, Iraq, Afghanistan & Pakistan
8AM Eastern, 7AM Central, 6AM Mountain, 5AM Pacific
INTERCESSION FOR PRESIDENT BUSH
AND THE MIDDLE EAST PEACE PROCESS
Access Code: 526338#
Access Code: 399430#
Links to Other Resources
Pray for President Bush
Prayer Surge Now invites you to:
Weekly Conference Call Prayer Meeting for
Saturday Morning, January 12, 2008
Conference Call Number & Access Code:
If you cannot get through, please use:
We particularly wish to cite Intercessors for America as the source to find all other ongoing prayer initiatives at this time.
For news at the state level (including court decisions re: gay rights), please see the links for the Family Research Council and for Citizen Link (Focus on the Family.) Thank you!!